VTBIRD
Received From Subject
7/20/24 10:56 am Maeve Kim <maevekim7...> [VTBIRD] BWHA extravaganza in Williston
7/20/24 5:07 am Ted Levin <tedlevin1966...> [VTBIRD] 20 July 2024: Hurricane Hill (1,100 feet), WRJ
7/19/24 3:21 am Ted Levin <tedlevin1966...> [VTBIRD] 19 July 2024: Hurricane Hill (1,100 feet), WRJ
7/18/24 6:46 pm R Stewart <2cnewbirds...> Re: [VTBIRD] problems with the revised Merlin?
7/18/24 3:34 am Ted Levin <tedlevin1966...> [VTBIRD] Costa Rica 2025
7/17/24 3:43 am Ted Levin <tedlevin1966...> [VTBIRD] 17 July 2024: Hurricane Hill (1,100 feet), WRJ
7/15/24 12:30 pm Ken Copenhaver <copenhvr...> [VTBIRD] Missisquoi NWR Bird Monitoring Walk
7/15/24 12:09 pm TheVermont BirderGuy <000008ba8e52eb04-dmarc-request...> [VTBIRD] Weekend Birding [56 species] and Cranes [NW Vermont]
7/15/24 5:02 am Ted Levin <tedlevin1966...> [VTBIRD] 15 July 2024: Hurricane Hill (1,100 feet), WRJ
7/13/24 8:28 am Cherrie Corey <cherrie.corey62...> Re: [VTBIRD] problems with the revised Merlin?
7/13/24 7:09 am Maeve Kim <maevekim7...> [VTBIRD] problems with the revised Merlin?
7/12/24 2:45 pm Maeve Kim <maevekim7...> Re: [VTBIRD] New blog post with pix of loon chicks and more
7/12/24 5:59 am Ian Clark <ian...> [VTBIRD] New blog post with pix of loon chicks and more
7/12/24 5:55 am LINDA M Verchereau <daylilies56...> [VTBIRD] Great Egret
7/11/24 3:21 am Ted Levin <tedlevin1966...> [VTBIRD] 11 July 2024: Hurricane Hill (1,100 feet), WRJ
7/10/24 8:56 pm <kj813...> <0000002d57029402-dmarc-request...> Re: [VTBIRD] Scarlet Tanager
7/10/24 5:57 am Shelagh Smith <0000007c0b9bf02a-dmarc-request...> [VTBIRD] Scarlet Tanager
7/9/24 8:44 am Maeve Kim <maevekim7...> Re: [VTBIRD] Birding
7/9/24 8:13 am Ken Copenhaver <copenhvr...> Re: [VTBIRD] Birding
7/9/24 4:07 am Ted Levin <tedlevin1966...> [VTBIRD] 09 July 2024: Hurricane Hill (1,100 feet), WRJ
7/9/24 4:02 am Sue Wetmore <000006207b3956ac-dmarc-request...> [VTBIRD] Birding
7/8/24 6:06 am Ted Levin <tedlevin1966...> [VTBIRD] Costa Rica 2025
7/7/24 7:17 pm Scott Sainsbury <scott...> Re: [VTBIRD] PS re Acadian Flycatcher
7/7/24 10:35 am Maeve Kim <maevekim7...> [VTBIRD] PS re Acadian Flycatcher
7/7/24 10:09 am Maeve Kim <maevekim7...> [VTBIRD] Acadian?
7/7/24 3:24 am Ted Levin <tedlevin1966...> [VTBIRD] 07 July 2024: Hurricane Hill (1,100 feet), WRJ
7/6/24 8:17 am Maeve Kim <maevekim7...> [VTBIRD] more about the LaPlatte, with photos!
7/6/24 5:11 am Becky Giroux <ravenrr...> [VTBIRD] Fort Cassin/Porters Bay
7/4/24 3:00 am Maeve Kim <maevekim7...> [VTBIRD] birds along the LaPlatte
7/2/24 3:15 am Ted Levin <tedlevin1966...> [VTBIRD] 02 July 2024: Hurricane Hill (1,100 feet), WRJ
7/1/24 6:56 am TheVermont BirderGuy <000008ba8e52eb04-dmarc-request...> [VTBIRD] Sandhill Crane Remerges [Franklin]
7/1/24 3:07 am Ted Levin <tedlevin1966...> [VTBIRD] 01 July 2024: Hurricane Hill (1,100 feet), WRJ
6/30/24 7:50 am Ian Clark <ian...> [VTBIRD] New blog post - Update on Our Loon Families
6/29/24 3:01 am Ted Levin <tedlevin1966...> [VTBIRD] 29 June 2024: Hurricane Hill (1,100 feet), WRJ
6/24/24 2:53 am Ted Levin <tedlevin1966...> [VTBIRD] 24 June 2024: Hurricane Hill (1,100 feet), WRJ
6/23/24 3:50 am Ted Levin <tedlevin1966...> [VTBIRD] 23 June 2024: Hurricane Hill (1,100 feet), WRJ
6/22/24 4:12 am Ted Levin <tedlevin1966...> [VTBIRD] 22 June 2024: Hurricane Hill (1,100 feet), WRJ
6/20/24 10:06 am Ian Clark <ian...> [VTBIRD] Loon chicks have hatched, pix on my blog

Back to top
Date: 7/20/24 10:56 am
From: Maeve Kim <maevekim7...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] BWHA extravaganza in Williston
This morning we walked one of our favorite locations, Mud Pond Conservation Area in Williston. That’s always a birdy walk, and today didn’t disappoint. First, we stood in one place and listened to a Broad-winged Hawk calling over and over from the same tree, at least two dozen times. Then, an hour later, we heard it again in the same location AND at least two, possibly three, others on different trees. One of the callers’ voice was lower than the others. I’ve heard these hawks call while circling overhead, but never again and again from atop trees. I am thinking it was a family of newly-fledged young. Any other ideas? - It was an extraordinary experience, hearing several of the birds for many minutes at a time, not far from us.
Here’s the whole list: https://ebird.org/checklist/S187897121
Maeve Kim, Jericho Center

Back to top
Date: 7/20/24 5:07 am
From: Ted Levin <tedlevin1966...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] 20 July 2024: Hurricane Hill (1,100 feet), WRJ
5:03 a.m. 57 (delightful) degrees, wind SSW 2 mph. Mottled sky and low
river fog well below the horizon. A gorgeous sunrise, buttery sunlight
running down tree trunks. Nineteen species, including one warbler
(black-throated green, whose truncate song rolled out hemlock shadows).

Ramping it up: American goldfinch and cedar waxwing.
Toning it down: American robin and eastern phoebe.
Still at it: red-eyed vireo, song sparrow, chipping sparrow, indigo bunting.
Back at it again: eastern bluebird, blue jay, blue-headed vireo.
Where have you been: swamp sparrow (first appearance in months).

Back to top
Date: 7/19/24 3:21 am
From: Ted Levin <tedlevin1966...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] 19 July 2024: Hurricane Hill (1,100 feet), WRJ
4:43 a.m. 57 degrees, wind WNW 2 mph. Dawn grades to sunrise. River fog in
the valley. Cool and shadowless, then pink blooms in the east. Sun rises
above Moose Mountain, buttery light and an awakening world. Feels like a
September morning. Eighteen species of birds, more sparrows than warblers (
four to one).

Dead on the Road (DOR): ring-necked snake, a mid-sized male, dead but not
pulverized. I've seen two ring-necks in this year, one alive, the other
dead—more than I've seen in any one year, any one decade. Dog and I
performed a non-denominational memorial ... a flick into the hemlocks.

Lone warbler singing, literally a chorus of one: common yellowthroat
Sparrow ensemble: chipping, song, dark-eyed junco, white-throated
The lingering spec of the night: one bat, species unknown, weaving around
the crabapple

When I was a boy, on cool late-July mornings, the vanguard of shorebird
migration would assemble on the outer beaches of Long Island. This morning,
in the east-central hills of Vermont, I see the season reflected in
goldenrod and Jerusalem artichoke ... and a toned-down chorus of songbirds.
American robins stone silent.

Even as summer was shouldered aside (for a moment), the air was cool and
far less humid, and I slept under an actual blanket.

Back to top
Date: 7/18/24 6:46 pm
From: R Stewart <2cnewbirds...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] problems with the revised Merlin?
I, too, noticed Merlin was taking a long tim ID loud birds that I hear. I
thought is was an issue with my phone. Has there been any more discussion
about this?

Ruth Stewart
E. dorset

--
Ruth Stewart
E. Dorset VT

Back to top
Date: 7/18/24 3:34 am
From: Ted Levin <tedlevin1966...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] Costa Rica 2025
*Costa Rica Natural History and Birding Adventure:*

* April 28 – May 7, 2025*

*Leaders:*

*1) Ted Levin—*Ted is a lifelong naturalist whose work has appeared in *The
New York Times*, *Audubon Magazine*, *Sports Illustrated*, *The Boston
Globe Magazine*, *The Guardian, National Geographic Traveler*, *OnEarth,* among
many other publications. He is the author of five books, including *Liquid
Land: A Journey Through the Florida Everglades*, which was awarded the
Burroughs Medal, the highest honor given to an American nature writer.
Ted's most recent book, *America's Snake: The Rise and Fall of the Timber
Rattlesnake*, was chosen by *Forbes* as one of the ten finest conservation
books of 2016. This will be Ted's eighth trip to Costa Rica, including
hosting Vermont Public's Citizens of the World Tour in 2010.

*Email: <tedlevin1966...> <tedlevin1966...>*

*landline: 802 698-8139*

*cellphone: 802 399 9398*

*2) Gil Calvo—*A naturalist and Neotropical birder extraordinaire, Gil has
created and led custom natural-history tours throughout Costa Rica for more
than 25 years, including for Hanover High School, Hanover, NH, since 2002.
In 2000, inspired by a lifelong passion for his native country, Gil created
Tropical Advisors Costa Rica, Inc. (formerly Tropical Angel Travel). Today,
Tropic Advisors has become one of Mesoamerica's premier natural history
tour companies.

For our itinerary and cost, don't hesitate to contact Ted.

Back to top
Date: 7/17/24 3:43 am
From: Ted Levin <tedlevin1966...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] 17 July 2024: Hurricane Hill (1,100 feet), WRJ
5:23 a.m. 65 degrees, wind SSE 3 mph. Clean, clear sunrise; low White River
fog slowly merges with Connecticut River fog ... a watershed mist, cotton
white and just as fluffy. Nineteen species, including five warblers (
common yellowthroat, yellow, myrtle, chestnut-sided, and black-throated
green).

The largest bird: American crow
The smallest bird: ruby-throated hummingbird
The most voluble bird: 1) red-eyed vireo (in denial that it's mid-July); 2)
American goldfinch
Flower-pot roosting bird: male dark-eyed junco

Onset: goldenrods (several species)
Peaking: Queen Anne's lace
Outset: oxeye daisy

Back to top
Date: 7/15/24 12:30 pm
From: Ken Copenhaver <copenhvr...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] Missisquoi NWR Bird Monitoring Walk
Please join us for our monthly bird monitoring walks on the refuge. Ken
Copenhaver and Julie Filiberti lead the walks on various refuge trails on
the 3rd Saturday of each month (except December when it is on the 2nd
Saturday). The purpose of the walks is to gather long-term data on the
presence of birds, their abundance, and changes in populations.
Observations are entered into the Vermont eBird database where the Cornell
Lab of Ornithology stores the data. These walks are appropriate for birders
of all skill levels and provide a wonderful opportunity to learn about
birds throughout the seasons. After 171 months of walks, we have recorded
165 species of birds.

This month's walk will be on *Saturday, July 20, from 8:00 to 10:00 AM a**t
the Old Railroad Passage Trail*. Meet at the parking lot on Tabor Rd, about
1 mile south of the Refuge.

*BRIDGE CLOSURE: Note that the bridge on Rte 78 at Swanton Falls is closed
for repairs. Detour is via Rte 7 to Beebe Rd to South River St.*

*Trail Description**:* The walk starts at a gravel parking lot and proceeds
on a grassy path to the old railroad bed. From here the trail is level
except for a short section that loops away from the rail bed, up a short
rise (where there is a bench at the top), and back down again to the rail
bed. The remainder of the trail is level, but the trail surface is uneven
and has exposed tree roots. If we go the whole way to the end of the trail,
the distance out and back is about 2.4 miles.

*Trail Conditions:* While there shouldn't be any standing water on the
trail, there could still be wet grass, so waterproof shoes are
recommended.

If you have any questions, contact me at <copenhvr...>

--Ken Copenhaver

For information on other refuge events, visit: http://friendsofmissisquoi.
org/

Back to top
Date: 7/15/24 12:09 pm
From: TheVermont BirderGuy <000008ba8e52eb04-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] Weekend Birding [56 species] and Cranes [NW Vermont]
Hi all

Results and some photos from driving around various northwest Vermont counties this weekend. First two posts here https://thevermontbirderguy.org/. Nothing unexpected.

Thanks, The Vermont BIrder Guy (aka Gary), Sheldon

Date: 7/15/24 5:02 am
From: Ted Levin <tedlevin1966...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] 15 July 2024: Hurricane Hill (1,100 feet), WRJ
4:53 a.m. 63 degrees, wind S 2 mph. Lightly overcast, with breaks of blue,
hints of sunrise rose, and butterscotch sunlight.
Fourteen species of birds, including one (measly) warbler (common
yellowthroat). Only red-eyed vireo, dark-eyed junco, and American goldfinch
sing nonstop; all other species render clipped songs and abrupt calls. Even
the American robin keeps to himself.

Ruby-throated hummingbirds up early visit feeders hanging off the pergola
and deck.

Barred owl up late. He flies onto a dead, limp black cherry limb, hanging
twenty feet above the raspberry patch. Owl stares, hunched over,
considering. Exposed and vulnerable to torment. Tufted titmice and chipping
sparrows, obliged, fly within ten feet of the owl—above and
below—broadcasting agitated chips. Never contact. Not even close.
Keeping to himself, the owl stares unflinchingly beyond the raspberries.
Then, drops ... one part balloon, one part stone. Retrieves breakfast.
Feeds on the ground beneath the weft of canes.

I take the owl's lead and head into the kitchen.

Back to top
Date: 7/13/24 8:28 am
From: Cherrie Corey <cherrie.corey62...>
I haven’t yet had those problems, but increasingly Merlin is recording though not registering some birds that I can clearly hear, and identify. In some cases, those are species reported as rare in a given location and season, like red crossbills. We’ve had them here nearly year-round for two years, but in late May Merlin stopped acknowledging their calls and song. More recently, it also didn’t acknowledge a loud and repetitive grosbeak call that was directly above me and clearly shown on the sonogram. We’ve had a rose-breasted pair nesting here this summer and an evening grosbeak pair here as late as early May.

Cherrie Corey
Marlboro, VT

> On Jul 13, 2024, at 10:09 AM, Maeve Kim <maevekim7...> wrote:
>
> We’ve been finding what appear to be glitches since the recent update. Has anyone else had the app stop entirely? Save a list and then lose it? Be unable to determine your location even though it always located it before?
> Maeve Kim, Jericho Center

Back to top
Date: 7/13/24 7:09 am
From: Maeve Kim <maevekim7...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] problems with the revised Merlin?

Date: 7/12/24 2:45 pm
From: Maeve Kim <maevekim7...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] New blog post with pix of loon chicks and more
Such beautiful photos always, and the personal bits of information about the loon families makes it even more fascinating. Thanks!
Maeve Kim, Jericho Center

> On Jul 12, 2024, at 8:58 AM, Ian Clark <ian...> wrote:
>
> Good morning -
>

> I've got an update on the three loon families I follow up on my blog:
> https://tinyurl.com/3dbjynfe. Lots of pix of loons and more.
>

> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>
> Ian Clark
> PO Box 51
> West Newbury, VT 05085
> (848) 702-0774
>
> www.IanClark.com <http://www.ianclark.com/>
>
> @UpperValleyPhotos
>
> https://www.facebook.com/uppervalley.photos
>

> Follow my blog: http://blog.ianclark.com <http://blog.ianclark.com/>
>
> Or follow the antics of my doggies:
> https://www.facebook.com/Dexter.and.Romeo/

Back to top

Date: 7/12/24 5:55 am
From: LINDA M Verchereau <daylilies56...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] Great Egret
Now at the marshy area near the hotel and Folino's restaurant.
I have lots of pics if anyone is interested. He/She was over at the
man-made pond near Shaws yesterday.

Linda Verchereau
Williston

Back to top
Date: 7/11/24 3:21 am
From: Ted Levin <tedlevin1966...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] 11 July 2024: Hurricane Hill (1,100 feet), WRJ
5:34 a.m. 72 degrees. Wind S mph, overcast and saturated. Muggy, dripping,
and *quiet*. Twelve species, including *one* warbler (chestnut-sided) and
*three *sparrows (song, chipping, and dark-eyed junco).

Masters of the airwaves: red-eyed vireo and American robin.
Returned to form for a moment: hermit thrush and house finch.
No shows: blue jay, American crow, both nuthatches, tufted titmouse

Back to top
Date: 7/10/24 8:56 pm
From: <kj813...> <0000002d57029402-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Scarlet Tanager
Very nice!
A Scarlet Tanager has been visiting our dirt road. Neighbor told me he saw(life list addition for him a relatively new birder). Then I and another neighbor recorded him on Merlin. I saw him last week. So fun to bird with neighborhood. Kay in Hinesburg

Sent from the all new AOL app for iOS

On Wednesday, July 10, 2024, 8:57 AM, Shelagh Smith <0000007c0b9bf02a-dmarc-request...> wrote:

Yesterday I glanced out a window and was thrilled to watch a Scarlet Tanager alight on the water bath under my patio table. It proceeded to vigorously splash about for several minutes. After an absence of several years I am starting to see this glorious bird again. Shelagh Smith, Leicester, in the foothills of the Greens.

Sent from my iPad

Back to top
Date: 7/10/24 5:57 am
From: Shelagh Smith <0000007c0b9bf02a-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] Scarlet Tanager

Date: 7/9/24 8:44 am
From: Maeve Kim <maevekim7...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Birding
I wasn’t enthusiastic about Merlin at first, after seeing some birders walking through a beautiful area with their eyes fixed on their phones! But I have really learned a lot from that app. And I’ve talked with so many people who are immensely more aware of bird song around them, and of the numbers and kinds of species there are in their backyards or on their daily walks.
Maeve Kim, Jericho Centr

> On Jul 9, 2024, at 11:13 AM, Ken Copenhaver <copenhvr...> wrote:
>
> Similarly, I was at Maidstone State Park a few weeks ago and heard an
> unfamiliar song. (I thought I knew all the birds at Maidstone after camping
> there for 40 years.) I fired up Merlin, which said Northern Parula. I
> thought it must be mistaken until I listened to the Parula's alternate
> song. I didn't know NOPA had an alternate song. Merlin can be a great
> learning tool.
>
> --Ken Copenhaver
>
> On Tue, Jul 9, 2024 at 7:02 AM Sue Wetmore <
> <000006207b3956ac-dmarc-request...> wrote:
>
>> Birding always presents something new regardless how long you’ve birded.
>> Yesterday at Lefferts Pond in Chittenden we heard a call that had us
>> mystified for awhile. We finally solved that when we played the flight call
>> of an American bittern.
>> Sue Wetmore & Sue Elliott
>>
>> Sent from my iPod

Back to top
Date: 7/9/24 8:13 am
From: Ken Copenhaver <copenhvr...>
Similarly, I was at Maidstone State Park a few weeks ago and heard an
unfamiliar song. (I thought I knew all the birds at Maidstone after camping
there for 40 years.) I fired up Merlin, which said Northern Parula. I
thought it must be mistaken until I listened to the Parula's alternate
song. I didn't know NOPA had an alternate song. Merlin can be a great
learning tool.

--Ken Copenhaver

On Tue, Jul 9, 2024 at 7:02 AM Sue Wetmore <
<000006207b3956ac-dmarc-request...> wrote:

> Birding always presents something new regardless how long you’ve birded.
> Yesterday at Lefferts Pond in Chittenden we heard a call that had us
> mystified for awhile. We finally solved that when we played the flight call
> of an American bittern.
> Sue Wetmore & Sue Elliott
>
> Sent from my iPod

Back to top
Date: 7/9/24 4:07 am
From: Ted Levin <tedlevin1966...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] 09 July 2024: Hurricane Hill (1,100 feet), WRJ
5:08 a.m. 65 degrees, wind S 2 mph. Sixteen species, including three
species of warblers (black-throated green, blackburnian, common
yellowthroat).

Among the no-shows: ovenbird and house wren, the first morning in months;
blue-head vireo, blue jay.
Late to the party: American robin, just before six
As boisterous as yesterday: scarlet tanager

A subtle hint of autumn: a flock of 20+ common grackles sweeping over the
meadow.

Back to top

Date: 7/8/24 6:06 am
From: Ted Levin <tedlevin1966...>
*Costa Rica Natural History and Birding Adventure:*

* April 28 – May 7, 2025*

*Leaders:*

*1) Ted Levin—*Ted is a lifelong naturalist whose work has appeared in *The
New York Times*, *Audubon Magazine*, *Sports Illustrated*, *The Boston
Globe Magazine*, *The Guardian, **National Geographic Traveler*, and
*OnEarth,* among many other publications. He is the author of five books,
including *Liquid Land: A Journey Through the Florida Everglades*, which
was awarded the Burroughs Medal, the highest honor given to an American
nature writer. Ted’s most recent book, *America’s Snake: The Rise and Fall
of the Timber Rattlesnake*, was chosen by *Forbes* as one of the ten finest
conservation books of 2016. This will be his eighth trip to Costa Rica,
including hosting Vermont Public’s Citizens of the World Tour in 2010.

*Email: <tedlevin1966...> <tedlevin1966...>*

*landline: 802 698-8139*

*cellphone: 802 399 9398*

*2) Gil Calvo— *A naturalist and Neotropical birder extraordinaire, Gil has
created & led custom natural-history tours throughout Costa Rica for more

Date: 7/7/24 7:17 pm
From: Scott Sainsbury <scott...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] PS re Acadian Flycatcher
Thanks Maeve,

Pat and I had a wonderful time hosting members of the Vermont Birding community at our “Big Mornings” at CrossHaven farm. As many of you probably know, we sold the farm during the pandemic. It was time — after 30 years — for us to move on, and Covid helped us decide when. We miss being able to share that special place with everyone. And the excitement of adding species to our “yard count” there — thanks Chip! By the time we left, we had observed 144 species on the farm.

Leaving was sad, but, now that we’re settled on North Hero, we’re enjoying the opportunity to make new birding friends — and to join old ones exploring Pelots, Ingalls, Mud Creek, Missisquoi NWR and many other great birding sites up here. Hope to see you on the trails!

Scott

> On Jul 7, 2024, at 1:34 PM, Maeve Kim <maevekim7...> wrote:
>
> I was just remembering my first and only sighting of this species - at Scott Sainsbury’s Cross Haven Farm back in 2012. It was a “Big Morning”, sponsored by Scott and his wife and the Mad Birders, and Chip Darmstadt saw and heard the bird first. He heroically raced around the woods, leaping over fallen logs and crashing through the undergrowth, to let every other birding group know about the rarity. Both exciting and fun!
> Maeve Kim, Jericho Center

Back to top
Date: 7/7/24 10:35 am
From: Maeve Kim <maevekim7...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] PS re Acadian Flycatcher

Date: 7/7/24 10:09 am
From: Maeve Kim <maevekim7...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] Acadian?
Hello, everyone - We spent the morning at the Birds of Vermont Museum. I was sitting on the bench by Bob Spear’s pond when I heard an unfamiliar bird sound. I got out my phone and fired up Merlin, and the app identified the sound as an Acadian Flycatcher. I don’t think it was; the song was three notes, repeated a few times with about a minute in between, and not at all like recorded sounds of that species. I never located the bird, but I want to let others know in case they’re on the Museum trails in the next few days. I’d love to know if anyone actually sees or hears that flycatcher!
Maeve Kim, Jericho Center

Back to top
Date: 7/7/24 3:24 am
From: Ted Levin <tedlevin1966...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] 07 July 2024: Hurricane Hill (1,100 feet), WRJ
5:11 a.m. 65 degrees, wind SSW 2 mph. Foggy, an invisible sunrise.
Twenty-three species, including four warblers (chestnut-side, ovenbird,
American redstart, common yellowthroat).

For the first time since the third week of April, robins haven't woken me
up ... stone silent (up the hill and back).
For the first time since early May, Carolina wren crooning in the aspens.
For the first time in more than a month: veery
A tunnel of sound: scarlet tanagers (up the hill and back).

Saddest song: eastern wood pewee in the shadows.
Most exuberant song: indigo bunting on an electric line.
As persistent as ever: red-eyed vireo.

Back to top
Date: 7/6/24 8:17 am
From: Maeve Kim <maevekim7...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] more about the LaPlatte, with photos!
Hello, fellow birders - A few of you responded to my note about paddling the LaPlatte, with questions and comments. So here’s a blog post. I hope you enjoy it!
Maeve Kim, Jericho Center

https://www.blogger.com/u/1/blog/post/edit/5537355135450026138/2272291438451647662

Back to top
Date: 7/6/24 5:11 am
From: Becky Giroux <ravenrr...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] Fort Cassin/Porters Bay
Have you ever wondered about the name Fort Cassin or about the private homes at the very end of the causeway? Seven Days has an insert in their July 3rd issue title "Seven Days Nest" with an article about one home on Fort Cassin Point. It talks a little about the Battle of Fort Cassin but the main article is about the current owner, Richard Alther. Very interesting article.

https://www.sevendaysvt.com/home-design/richard-althers-lakeside-home-is-a-memorial-to-his-own-history-and-vermonts-41280030?<_ga...>

Becky Giroux

Back to top
Date: 7/4/24 3:00 am
From: Maeve Kim <maevekim7...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] birds along the LaPlatte
What a great place for a leisurely paddle and LOTS of birds! Here’s the list from yesterday: https://ebird.org/checklist/S185133343
Maeve Kim, Jericho Center

Back to top
Date: 7/2/24 3:15 am
From: Ted Levin <tedlevin1966...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] 02 July 2024: Hurricane Hill (1,100 feet), WRJ
4:47 a.m. 57 degrees, wind NNW 3 mph (an altogether autumnest morning).
Sky: clear with mauve and perch along the edges of the New Hampshire
skyline; White River mist above the valley, a cottony streak across the
northern hillside, creeps east. Twenty-six species, including six warblers
(ovenbird, black-throated blue, yellow, common yellowthroat,
chestnut-sided, American redstart) and scarlet tanager.

Sporadically singing, one day on, one day off (off today):
blue-headed vireo, hermit thrush, black-throated green warbler, veery,
indigo bunting, common raven.
Sporadically singing, one day on, one day off (on today): American
redstart, scarlet tanager.
Out-of-the-blue: broad-winged hawk and common merganser

Merlin's most commonly confused birds of 2023 were red-eyed vireo for a
Philadelphia vireo.
Merlin's most commonly confused birds of 2024 are the American redstart for
magnolia warbler and the distant black-throated blue warbler for a nearby
black-and-white.

Back to top
Date: 7/1/24 6:56 am
From: TheVermont BirderGuy <000008ba8e52eb04-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] Sandhill Crane Remerges [Franklin]
Hi all

Sandhill Crane seen along Swamp Road south of St Pierre Road in west field across from old farmhouse on east. Locals I talked with said been seeing more and more here or Rugg Road to the west.

Photos and video here: https://thevermontbirderguy.org/

Date: 7/1/24 3:07 am
From: Ted Levin <tedlevin1966...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] 01 July 2024: Hurricane Hill (1,100 feet), WRJ
4:26 a.m. 60 degrees, wind NNW 6 mph, gusting to 16. Overcast with bright
copper highlights. An altogether gorgeous morning, refreshing and
reassuring. Twenty-two species, including five warblers (ovenbird,
chestnut-sided, magnolia, yellow, common yellowthroat).

First three songsters in order of appearance: American robin, eastern
phoebe, indigo bunting
Encountered late yesterday morning but not early this morning:
black-throated blue warbler, common merganser, common raven, broad-winged
hawk, hermit thrush, blue jay, pine warbler, yellow-rumped warbler,
blue-gray gnatcatcher, ruby-throated hummingbird

Chorusing day and night: green frogs ... need tuning

Back to top
Date: 6/30/24 7:50 am
From: Ian Clark <ian...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] New blog post - Update on Our Loon Families
I've got a new blog post up with an update on and pix of the three loon
families I follow. Take a look at
<https://blog.ianclark.com/photography/wildlife-photography/update-on-our-lo
on-families/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTAAAR1ICSeaJJk7yeJswizWQ_4Hjv63vLx4yotqPn
msLxuxUBIlwx9NoL2ZVIw_aem_Kyd3VoIdnQjSCIaPUX55fA>
https://blog.ianclark.com/.../update-on-our-loon-families/

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Date: 6/29/24 3:01 am
From: Ted Levin <tedlevin1966...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] 29 June 2024: Hurricane Hill (1,100 feet), WRJ
4:49 a.m. 58 degrees, wind S 5 mph, gusting to 15. Sky: a sheet of clouds
tightly stretched, drizzling. Twenty-eight species, including six warblers
(ovenbird, chestnut-sided, common yellowthroat, black and white, magnolia,
American redstart). Green frog chorus at the top of the hill (no tree frogs
singing).

Returning to the stage after a lengthy absence: wild turkey and hermit
thrush
Chicks assembled at the feeders, begging: house finch
Ever more conspicuous: cedar waxwing
Gone but not forgotten: pine siskin

Back to top
Date: 6/24/24 2:53 am
From: Ted Levin <tedlevin1966...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] 24 June 2024: Hurricane Hill (1,100 feet), WRJ
4:46 a.m. 64 degrees, wind WSW 7 mph, gusts to 19. An edible sunrise:
butterscotch light and peach-gilded clouds. Twenty-two species, including
five warblers—pine, black and white, yellow, chestnut-sided, and ovenbird.

Most inventive song: gray catbird
Most mechanical song: chipping sparrow
Most amazed that I could hear the song over the pulsing wind: brown creeper
Too busy to sing: black-throated green warbler
Flower-pot nesting over or abandon: dark-eyed junco

Back to top
Date: 6/23/24 3:50 am
From: Ted Levin <tedlevin1966...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] 23 June 2024: Hurricane Hill (1,100 feet), WRJ
5:23 a.m. 57 degrees, wind SSE 4 mph. Overcast and raining, with visibility
less than 200 yards. Sixteen species, including five warblers (magnolia,
black and white, chestnut-sided, yellow, and common yellowthroat) and a
rooster (don't ask).

Not Singing In the Rain: Gene Kelly, blue-headed vireo, blackburnian
warbler, and brown creeper (well, the latter two may have been singing, but
the sound of rain could have drowned them out).

Back to top
Date: 6/22/24 4:12 am
From: Ted Levin <tedlevin1966...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] 22 June 2024: Hurricane Hill (1,100 feet), WRJ
5:28 a.m. 63 degrees, wind E 2 mph. Cloud-cluttered, foggy, sticky, and
drizzly. The Upper Valley is neither Colorado's Grand Valley nor the Grand
Mesa, where I spent the past week or so ... I'm overwhelmed by saturated
green. Twenty-five species, including seven warblers (black and white,
common yellowthroat, ovenbird, American redstart, northern parula,
chestnut-sided, blackburnian).

A very subjective (avian) *auditory evaluation* from struggle to hear to
enough already: brown creeper, cedar waxwing, blackburnian warbler, black
and white warbler, parula warbler, tree swallow, chipping sparrow,
dark-eyed junco ... chestnut-sided warbler, house wren, eastern phoebe,
American robin, northern cardinal, red-eyed vireo, ovenbird.

*Biggest surprise*: Pine warblers and nuthatches silent as stone.

Back to top
Date: 6/20/24 10:06 am
From: Ian Clark <ian...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] Loon chicks have hatched, pix on my blog
Loon chicks have hatched in the Upper Valley. There are pix of them and more
wildlife up on my blog at: https://tinyurl.com/wjv6xbxv

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Ian Clark
PO Box 51
West Newbury, VT 05085