mnbird
Received From Subject
10/15/18 1:06 pm Stephen Greenfield via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] Minnesota Global Birders: birding and biodiversity in Ghana
10/14/18 3:14 pm Roger Schmidt via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] Prior Lake Sightings Happy and Sad
10/11/18 1:36 pm DONALD GRUSSING Owner via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] crab grass
10/10/18 8:41 am Betsy Kerr via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] Goldfinches, RCK & Bluebirds
10/5/18 6:22 pm Peter L Gilles via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] Hadley Lake Report
10/5/18 3:11 pm Brian and Cindy via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] Juncos
10/1/18 3:33 pm Schumacher, Paul via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] user got hacked do not open
10/1/18 12:27 pm DONALD GRUSSING Owner via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] Wasps
9/30/18 10:29 am Pamela Freeman via Mnbird <mnbird...> Re: [Mnbird] White Throated Sparrows
9/30/18 9:41 am Brian and Cindy via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] White Throated Sparrows
9/28/18 8:22 am Richard Brasket via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] cedar waxwings Hennepin county

Back to top
Date: 10/15/18 1:06 pm
From: Stephen Greenfield via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: [Mnbird] Minnesota Global Birders: birding and biodiversity in Ghana
The next presentation to the Minnesota "Global Birders" group will be by Tom
Will, biologist with the US Fish & Wildlife Service, on the diversity of
habitats and birds of Ghana. He will discuss a trip taken this April, tips
on travelling and birding there and elsewhere in Africa, along with
observations about conservation and the culture.

So we can monitor the number of attendees, please register online with
Eventbrite at the link below, where more information is available (or type
"tinyurl.com/globalbirding14" into your browser).

Monday, October 22, 6:00 - 8:00 PM

Walker Library, 2880 Hennepin Ave. S (at Lagoon), Minneapolis

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/global-birding-ghana-tickets-49700233737

Stephen Greenfield

Minneapolis

<tapaculo47...>

Back to top
Date: 10/14/18 3:14 pm
From: Roger Schmidt via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: [Mnbird] Prior Lake Sightings Happy and Sad
After 15 years of sitting on my deck watching the birds I had given up the prospect of ever seeing a Red-breasted Nuthatch on the deck. What a surprise when a pair arrived 3 days ago. They've discovered the suet and they are now counted among the usual suspects…..almost. I don't know if they'll stick around or not but what a pleasure to have one on the home turf! The only place I've ever seen them is Crex Meadows.

Here's a link to a photo I took. Click on the small pic to see the larger. I have a few albums of bird pics, feel free to browse.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/7d_ef/albums/72157684364849180

Moving on to yet another stranger near the deck. An Oven Bird. Another first time ever here at home. We spent a week watching it feed on the ground. The weather was poor so I never did get a pic. However, this happy sighting has a rather sad ending. Going out to get the mail one day, As I stepped off the front step I noticed laying in the rocks under the kitchen window our little Oven Bird we'd been watching for days. We only observed one and I assume it's the same one. A window strike I'm afraid. Our kitchen window seldom if ever has had a strike. I suspect a Cooper that frequents the front yard. Hmmmm….of all the birds in our yard this one little OB, we so enjoyed watching, had to be the one to perish.

I have to end the post on a happy note.

This morning I watched a baby cardinal play in the snow on the deck. It was so cute I could hardly stand it. It would kick the snow from side to side with it's beak, jump up, flap it's wings and shake it out. It was like it was taking a bath in the snow. Maybe it was. All the years I've watched birds I've never seen anything like it. It made me smile and that's not a bad way to start a day!

Rog~

Back to top
Date: 10/11/18 1:36 pm
From: DONALD GRUSSING Owner via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: [Mnbird] crab grass
Before the rains we enjoyed two days of very busy clay colored sparrows in our yard, eating crabgrass seeds. (It was a good year for crab grass). They were everywhere the crab grass was, looking at first very much like leaves as they moved about. They were joined in the grass, and also in the shrubs and trees by yellow-rumped warblers and one very dark warbler I could not identify (even though it was only 10 feet away).

It reminded me of my childhood when I would watch flocks of house sparrows (we called them English sparrows then) going everywhere the crabgrass grew. One year they were joined by a greenish yellow parakeet. I always wonder what happened to that escapee.

Don Grussing
Minnetonka

Back to top
Date: 10/10/18 8:41 am
From: Betsy Kerr via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: [Mnbird] Goldfinches, RCK & Bluebirds
The most populous bird in the yard this week--at the feeder and the
coneflowers-- is the American Goldfinch. The young ones are still flapping
their wings and chirping, begging to be fed.

Most notable bird in the area of the feeder, sighted on Sunday: one
Golden-crowned Kinglet. A thrush just perched briefly on the feeder, I
suppose a Hermit, but I wouldn't swear to that ID. A small flock of
Eastern Bluebirds was also observed in the neighbors' garden
yesterday--maybe after the remaining raspberries?

Betsy Kerr
Golden Valley, MN

Back to top
Date: 10/5/18 6:22 pm
From: Peter L Gilles via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: [Mnbird] Hadley Lake Report
I have had a pair of Red Breasted Nuthatches at my feeders the last three days -- so petite and so striking.

A few White throated Sparrows too.

Papa Cardinal is still feeding a late Summer brood of two. I have seen more Cardinals in the last two weeks than I had all Summer -- I hope this signifies an overall recovery

A solitary Flicker sampled one of my dying Aspen.

A flock (10 to 12) of late migrating Robins searched my front yard for a morsel just after the cold snap. Several found their way to the back porch and the water dish.

I saw several Fall warblers, but there is still a lot of foliage and the views too fleeting to even hazard a guess.

Back to top
Date: 10/5/18 3:11 pm
From: Brian and Cindy via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: [Mnbird] Juncos
They're here!  Feeding under the back feeder as we speak.... Cindy in
North Mankato

Back to top
Date: 10/1/18 3:33 pm
From: Schumacher, Paul via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: [Mnbird] user got hacked do not open
Sue Skelton's email was hacked and

is sending spam.

Do NOT open the link in her spammed email.

Paul MNBird adm.

Back to top
Date: 10/1/18 12:27 pm
From: DONALD GRUSSING Owner via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: [Mnbird] Wasps
While cleaning up my feeders for the upcoming season yesterday I had a rude surprise. A good sized, active wasp nest underneath the removable roof. Luckily the wasps were slow, thanks to the cold, and I was able to avoid being stung. First time that has happened, though I have had wasp nests in bird houses, a bumble bee "hive" in a bluebird house, and a bee hive in a wood duck house. The bees did not last through the winter, but sure made a sticky mess of the inside of the house. Had to remove it and replace it.

Don Grussing
Minnetonka

Back to top
Date: 9/30/18 10:29 am
From: Pamela Freeman via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: Re: [Mnbird] White Throated Sparrows
We are also seeing white throated sparr6here in Oak Grove, Anoka county.

On Sun, Sep 30, 2018, 11:41 AM Brian and Cindy via Mnbird <
<mnbird...> wrote:

> First of season in the back yard this morning. Cindy in North Mankato
>

> ---

Back to top
Date: 9/30/18 9:41 am
From: Brian and Cindy via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: [Mnbird] White Throated Sparrows

Date: 9/28/18 8:22 am
From: Richard Brasket via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: [Mnbird] cedar waxwings Hennepin county
About a dozen cedar waxwings stopped by Round Lake area of Eden Prairie on
9/26.