mnbird
Received From Subject
4/21/24 3:44 pm Miller Johnson via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] Let the Games Begin, Nesting Season
4/19/24 9:37 am Allen Batt via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] Juncos gone?
4/16/24 1:26 pm Tami Vogel via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] Afton FOYs
4/15/24 2:46 pm DONALD GRUSSING Owner via Mnbird <mnbird...> Re: [Mnbird] Starlings and suet
4/15/24 8:46 am kevin seidel via Mnbird <mnbird...> Re: [Mnbird] Starlings and suet
4/15/24 8:26 am Allen Batt via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] Starlings and suet
4/6/24 7:53 pm Allen Batt via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] A shrike
4/3/24 9:38 pm Allen Batt via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] Freeborn County
3/28/24 12:47 pm linda whyte via Mnbird <mnbird...> Re: [Mnbird] Snow effect, Fox Sparrow, Song Sparrow
3/28/24 7:53 am John Hamer via Mnbird <mnbird...> Re: [Mnbird] Snow effect, Fox Sparrow, Song Sparrow
3/28/24 7:47 am Pamela Brustman via Mnbird <mnbird...> Re: [Mnbird] Snow effect, Fox Sparrow, Song Sparrow
3/28/24 7:36 am DONALD GRUSSING Owner via Mnbird <mnbird...> Re: [Mnbird] Snow effect, Fox Sparrow, Song Sparrow
3/27/24 12:14 pm mary norman via Mnbird <mnbird...> Re: [Mnbird] Snow effect, Fox Sparrow, Song Sparrow
3/27/24 11:32 am Miller Johnson via Mnbird <mnbird...> Re: [Mnbird] Snow effect, Fox Sparrow, Song Sparrow
3/27/24 10:25 am mary norman via Mnbird <mnbird...> Re: [Mnbird] Snow effect, Fox Sparrow, Song Sparrow
3/27/24 9:42 am Miller Johnson via Mnbird <mnbird...> Re: [Mnbird] Snow effect, Fox Sparrow, Song Sparrow
3/27/24 8:20 am DONALD GRUSSING Owner via Mnbird <mnbird...> Re: [Mnbird] Snow effect
3/27/24 8:09 am DONALD GRUSSING Owner via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] Snow effect
3/26/24 10:43 am John Hamer via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] Trumpeter swans:
3/25/24 9:33 am mary norman via Mnbird <mnbird...> Re: [Mnbird] Robins and Raisins
3/25/24 9:19 am Charlene Nelson via Mnbird <mnbird...> Re: [Mnbird] Robins and Raisins
3/24/24 1:07 pm mary norman via Mnbird <mnbird...> Re: [Mnbird] Robins and Raisins
3/24/24 12:49 pm Rose Shea via Mnbird <mnbird...> Re: [Mnbird] Robins and Raisins
3/24/24 9:22 am Lois Rem via Mnbird <mnbird...> Re: [Mnbird] Robins and Raisins
3/24/24 9:05 am DONALD GRUSSING Owner via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] Robins and Raisins

Back to top
Date: 4/21/24 3:44 pm
From: Miller Johnson via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: [Mnbird] Let the Games Begin, Nesting Season
Today I saw Northern Flickers copulating.

The Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers are up to their breasts in a nest hole. Interestingly, it's a red-capped female using the same aspen as last year. Unfortunately, her male was wooed away by the black-capped female that was his partner the prior year; the red-capped female was seen around the yard periodically all summer. Will the black-capped female re-appear this year?

A male Downy Woodpecker is up to his breast in a nest hole. It's in a really dead aspen that has many nest holes started by chickadees and downies over the past couple of years. The wood always looked pretty spongy in the previous holes. This hole looks firm; it's at the base of a dead branch so it may be a winner!

A saw a Black-capped Chickadee inside a Gilbertson tube box. Later I looked and it appears the little fellow was chipping off teeny pieces of the floor. Better hope he stops before he breaks through to the outside.

Bluebirds have deposited grasses into two of our nest boxes: one a Gilbertson, the other a more standard wooden box. Both have hosted bluebirds in past years.

A male Cardinal is patrolling our windows, and still has time for chasing and mate-feeding his female friend.

May we all have good birding stories to share this year!

Molly Jo Miller
Inver Grove Hts
Dakota Co.

Back to top
Date: 4/19/24 9:37 am
From: Allen Batt via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: [Mnbird] Juncos gone?
It was a cool and damp morning. Some might have called it cold and wet. The yard that was covered with juncos and sticks yesterday was now covered only by the sticks shed by the yard’s trees. I gathered those sticks while listening to robin, cardinal, redwing, dove and rooster pheasant voices. A Vesper Sparrow sang “Oh-oh-my-my, its-such-a-beautiful day.” from an elevated perch. My farming father loved to hear that. The vesper sparrow sings at any time of the day but gets its name from its evening hymns (vespers), “Listen to my evening sing-ing-ing-ing.” White-throated Sparrows whistled as I watched an Eastern Phoebe pursue flying insects I couldn’t discern. It was far from 50 degrees. Maybe some insects were wearing wool.

Al Batt
Freeborn County

Back to top
Date: 4/16/24 1:26 pm
From: Tami Vogel via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: [Mnbird] Afton FOYs
I don't know when it happened, but spring has sprung. The trees are noticeably a bright green, my wild ginger and violets are blooming, and overwintering butterflies are abundant.

A welcome burst of sunshine on a dark day - FOY pine warblers showed up today.

If, after a quick scan of your feeders, your brain says, "huh, a goldfinch on my suet?" take another look - it is likely a pine warbler.

Still waiting on the horde of yellow-rumpeds. Soon I won't be able to keep suet feeders filled.

FOY chipping sparrows showed up the other day and today the first white-throateds are filling my yard with song.

Loads of purple finches and siskins remain, maybe 2 dozen juncos left. It has definitely been a year for finches.

The lovely evening song of robins fills my house daily.

Ahhh, the joys of living somewhere with changing seasons. Does a soul good.

Wishing you all fun springs signs -

Tami in Afton

Back to top
Date: 4/15/24 2:46 pm
From: DONALD GRUSSING Owner via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: Re: [Mnbird] Starlings and suet
I feed suet in a wire feeder designed to be attached to the trunk of a tree.All the usual suspects including Brown Creepers and Crows feed from it, but not Starlings. Even Yellow-Rumps and others, and a few thrushes and the occasional turkey eat the morsels that drop to the ground from the activities above.

Starlings home in on shelled peanuts and the meal worms in the "hot" bird mix I put out occasionally when the deer want to eat all the untreated golden safflower in one night.

I always wonder what happened when a Starling song includes the calls of Bluebirds.

Don Grussing
Minnetonka

On Mon, 15 Apr, 2024 at 10:50 AM, Allen Batt via Mnbird <mnbird...> wrote:

To: mnbird
From Mary Oliver’s poem “Invitation”: “…it is a serious thing just to be alive on this fresh morning in this broken world. I beg of you, do not walk by without pausing to attend this rather ridiculous performance…”

A birdie with a yellow bill hopped upon my suet feeder. There are days when starlings dominate the suet feeder. They feed with gusto. There are starling-resistant suet feeders. I purchased an upside-down suet feeder meant to challenge starlings, but the starlings hang upside down and feed. No worries. It’s going to the gym and eating lunch for a starling. The rather ridiculous performance was all on my end.

Al Batt_______________________________________________
Mnbird mailing list
<Mnbird...>
http://mail.lists.mnbird.net/mailman/listinfo/mnbird_lists.mnbird.net

Back to top
Date: 4/15/24 8:46 am
From: kevin seidel via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Cool post 👍
Thanks Al
~Kevin Seidel
Onalaska WI
Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 15, 2024, at 10:25 AM, Allen Batt via Mnbird <mnbird...> wrote:
>
>  From Mary Oliver’s poem “Invitation”: “…it is a serious thing just to be alive on this fresh morning in this broken world. I beg of you, do not walk by without pausing to attend this rather ridiculous performance…”
> A birdie with a yellow bill hopped upon my suet feeder. There are days when starlings dominate the suet feeder. They feed with gusto. There are starling-resistant suet feeders. I purchased an upside-down suet feeder meant to challenge starlings, but the starlings hang upside down and feed. No worries. It’s going to the gym and eating lunch for a starling. The rather ridiculous performance was all on my end.
>
> Al Batt

Back to top
Date: 4/15/24 8:26 am
From: Allen Batt via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: [Mnbird] Starlings and suet
From Mary Oliver’s poem “Invitation”: “…it is a serious thing just to be alive on this fresh morning in this broken world. I beg of you, do not walk by without pausing to attend this rather ridiculous performance…”

Date: 4/6/24 7:53 pm
From: Allen Batt via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: [Mnbird] A shrike
A friend in Freeborn County sent me a photo of a shrike that had met its demise by colliding with a window this week. A shrike in the summer is a loggerhead, and one in the winter is a northern. This time of the year, who knows? They’re often called “butcher birds” and are both a songbird and a predator of songbirds. The shrike’s facial band tells the tale as far as ID goes. I couldn’t see where the mask met the bill in the photo. A loggerhead shrike has a thicker eye band. A northern shrike has a noticeably thinner eye band that doesn’t extend over the eyes or above the bill. The Lone Ranger wore a mask to keep his identity a secret. Not being able to see a mask kept this shrike’s identity a secret.

Al Batt
Hartland

Back to top
Date: 4/3/24 9:38 pm
From: Allen Batt via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: [Mnbird] Freeborn County
I tossed some millet onto the ground for the native sparrows. Juncos enjoy
that seed, and their gray and white bodies covered the seedy ground. Between the snowbirds and the American Tree Sparrows, there was little room for anything else. A couple of Song Sparrows, a few Purple Finches and House Finches, and one more species. I watched the double-scratch behavior of a handsome Fox Sparrow. It used a backward kick it performed simultaneously with both feet to find food in the leaf litter. I’d like to give that a try, but I’m afraid I’d fall beak first into the scattered millet. Each time I see Fox Sparrows, I want to do for them what the Trashmen did for Surfin’ Birds.
During the last couple of snowfalls, I’ve put raisins and bits of suet out for
the robins. They sampled those products but were more interested in eating the millet. I took photos to make sure that’s what they were eating.
Mourning Doves like millet, too.
Good birding, y’all.

Al Batt

Back to top
Date: 3/28/24 12:47 pm
From: linda whyte via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: Re: [Mnbird] Snow effect, Fox Sparrow, Song Sparrow
It's like that here, too - some of the Juncos learned to use feeders, and
even try the ones requiring them to hang and feed upright, like our
nut-feeder. They haven't the skill to do it for long, but can sometimes
shake a few nut morsels onto the ground.
Linda Whyte

Back to top
Date: 3/28/24 7:53 am
From: John Hamer via Mnbird <mnbird...>
definition of mensa. Thank you. Great idea

Back to top
Date: 3/28/24 7:47 am
From: Pamela Brustman via Mnbird <mnbird...>
The turkeys at my place hop onto the shepherd hooks and help themselves to
my feeders. I don't love this behavior. It's only the females who do this.
The males just scratch beneath the feeders.
(St. Michael, Wright County)

Back to top
Date: 3/28/24 7:36 am
From: DONALD GRUSSING Owner via Mnbird <mnbird...>

To: miller johnson
Cc: <mnbird...>; <cdrussin...>
What does “mensa juncos” mean? I just call them juncos. Lots of them at our house near the Zoo! And, while I have your attention: I want to put out some raisins for the birds. Do they need to be soaked in water to plump them first?

Thanks!

Mary Norman

> On Mar 27, 2024, at 11:41 AM, Miller Johnson via Mnbird <mnbird...><mailto:<mnbird...>> wrote:
>
> My juncos have returned; they had left behind just a small troop to hold this location from invaders. Yesterday a Song Sparrow was doing all it could to survive: hanging at and eating from the suet cage, moving on to the sunflower feeder. Today, there was a Fox Sparrow hanging out with Juncos. I was expecting it to be the Song Sparrow, so I had to rub my eyes a couple times to make sure I was seeing right! The Song Sparrow came out from under my brush pile and joined the Fox Sparrow and Juncos.
>
> I like "Mensa Juncos." They really do have to be wily to survive our winters!
>
> Molly Jo Miller
> Inver Grove Hts
> Dakota Co
>
> PS We knew what you meant by Hairy Woodcocks! ;-)

Back to top
Date: 3/27/24 12:14 pm
From: mary norman via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Thank you, Molly Jo! Yes, now I remember that “mensa” means high intelligence! I’m thinking that all birds must be “mensa” in order to survive! Wish the starlings had a little less in the “smarts” business!

Guess it’s time to buy some new decals for the windows to keep the cardinals from trying to scare opponents! This recent return of winter makes me think spring is a long time away, but it is just around the corner!

Happy birding, all!

Mary Norman

> On Mar 27, 2024, at 1:31 PM, Miller Johnson <johnson-miller...> wrote:
>
> Hi Mary, I'm sorry I can't answer your raisin question.
>
> I believe Mensa Juncos are "smart juncos," not a variation or subspecies.
>
> Mensa is an organization for people with high IQs. So Don is calling his juncos smart because they aren't using a lot of energy trying to survive this storm. They're staying under his deck, popping out only to eat at his feeder buffet, and then return to cover.
>
> Perhaps within all species we could have a Mensa subcategory? Just kidding. ;-)
>
> Although, I think we've all seen male cardinals that are absolutely determined to knock their brains out with their endless window and/or car mirror attacks. They would not be in the Mensa subcategory.
>
> Molly Jo

Back to top
Date: 3/27/24 11:32 am
From: Miller Johnson via Mnbird <mnbird...>

________________________________

Date: 3/27/24 10:25 am
From: mary norman via Mnbird <mnbird...>
What does “mensa juncos” mean? I just call them juncos. Lots of them at our house near the Zoo! And, while I have your attention: I want to put out some raisins for the birds. Do they need to be soaked in water to plump them first?

Thanks!

Mary Norman

> On Mar 27, 2024, at 11:41 AM, Miller Johnson via Mnbird <mnbird...> wrote:
>
> My juncos have returned; they had left behind just a small troop to hold this location from invaders. Yesterday a Song Sparrow was doing all it could to survive: hanging at and eating from the suet cage, moving on to the sunflower feeder. Today, there was a Fox Sparrow hanging out with Juncos. I was expecting it to be the Song Sparrow, so I had to rub my eyes a couple times to make sure I was seeing right! The Song Sparrow came out from under my brush pile and joined the Fox Sparrow and Juncos.
>
> I like "Mensa Juncos." They really do have to be wily to survive our winters!
>
> Molly Jo Miller
> Inver Grove Hts
> Dakota Co
>
> PS We knew what you meant by Hairy Woodcocks! ;-)

Back to top

Date: 3/27/24 8:20 am
From: DONALD GRUSSING Owner via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: Re: [Mnbird] Snow effect
Autocorrect made Hairy Woodpeckers Hairy Woodcocks. Sorry that I didn't catch it. Kind of a Freudian autocorrect.

Don Grussijng
Minnetonka

To: <mnbird...>

Date: 3/26/24 10:43 am
From: John Hamer via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: [Mnbird] Trumpeter swans:
On March 24th there were a pair of Trumpeters in Hopkins on a small marsh
paralleling Shady Oak road. I Don't think they will stay.They are amazing
in their ability to ignore people and traffic.
A couple of weeks ago I was parking the car and I saw a pattern on the
grass in front of me. Shall I check it out, it's a distinct pattern I'll
check it out. It was the wing and tail of a sharp-shinned hawk. Today I
saw a Cooper's hawk fly by at the level of the 9th floor. My motto is bird
wherever you are.

John Hamer

Back to top
Date: 3/25/24 9:33 am
From: mary norman via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: Re: [Mnbird] Robins and Raisins
Thank you Charlene! Glad I didn’t put the dried cranberries out as they do have sugar in them!

Mary

> On Mar 25, 2024, at 10:24 AM, Charlene Nelson <jnelson...> wrote:
>
> I’m guessing cranberries work. We planted high bush cranberries in our new grove. They feed everyone who stops by and last all winter till spring bloom.
>
> If you have store bought cranberries I would worry if they’ve been treated with sugar or additives that could be harmful to birds. I’ve had a hard time finding unaltered cranberries for my own use unless they are raw.
>
> Charlene Nelson
> Grant County farm
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Mar 24, 2024, at 3:06 PM, mary norman via Mnbird <mnbird...> wrote:
>
> I also put out dried mealworms, and I was going to put our raisins but guess I’m out. Will they eat dried cranberries?
>
> Mary
>
>> On Mar 24, 2024, at 2:48 PM, Rose Shea via Mnbird <mnbird...> wrote:
>>
>> I put out dried mealworms
>>
>> Rose
>>

>>> On Mar 24, 2024, at 11:22 AM, Lois Rem via Mnbird <mnbird...> wrote:
>>>

>>> I have good luck putting out basic millet. Everyone eats that including the robins. Maybe it's just a South Dakota thing.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Lois Rem
>>> 612-670-5997
>>> 1100 N Lake Ave #204
>>> Sioux Falls SD 57104-1399

Back to top
Date: 3/25/24 9:19 am
From: Charlene Nelson via Mnbird <mnbird...>

Back to top
Date: 3/24/24 1:07 pm
From: mary norman via Mnbird <mnbird...>
I also put out dried mealworms, and I was going to put our raisins but guess I’m out. Will they eat dried cranberries?

Mary

> On Mar 24, 2024, at 2:48 PM, Rose Shea via Mnbird <mnbird...> wrote:
>
> I put out dried mealworms
>
> Rose
>

>> On Mar 24, 2024, at 11:22 AM, Lois Rem via Mnbird <mnbird...> wrote:
>>

>> I have good luck putting out basic millet. Everyone eats that including the robins. Maybe it's just a South Dakota thing.
>>
>> --
>> Lois Rem
>> 612-670-5997
>> 1100 N Lake Ave #204
>> Sioux Falls SD 57104-1399
>>

>> On Sun, Mar 24, 2024 at 11:05 AM DONALD GRUSSING Owner via Mnbird <mnbird...> <mailto:<mnbird...>> wrote:
>>> Robins are tough but the next couple of days may pose a challenge to those which have already staked out territories and are reluctant to leave them even in rough weather.
>>>
>>> You can give them some needed sustenance . The birds will seek bare ground such as that protected from snow by eaves or even underneath some evergreens. They will go to such places and a few scattered raisins will be consumed. I've even thrown blueberries and grapes. It's easy to know when to replenish.
>>>
>>> Can't hurt and could help. Unfortunately raccoons might also eat that gift.
>>>
>>> Don Grussing

Back to top
Date: 3/24/24 12:49 pm
From: Rose Shea via Mnbird <mnbird...>

Back to top
Date: 3/24/24 9:22 am
From: Lois Rem via Mnbird <mnbird...>

<mnbird...> wrote:

> Robins are tough but the next couple of days may pose a challenge to those
> which have already staked out territories and are reluctant to leave them
> even in rough weather.
>
> You can give them some needed sustenance . The birds will seek bare ground
> such as that protected from snow by eaves or even underneath some
> evergreens. They will go to such places and a few scattered raisins will
> be consumed. I've even thrown blueberries and grapes. It's easy to know
> when to replenish.
>
> Can't hurt and could help. Unfortunately raccoons might also eat that gift.
>
> Don Grussing

Back to top