mnbird
Received From Subject
7/14/18 12:03 pm kkelnberger via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] State Fair shifts filling fast!
7/14/18 10:21 am kkelnberger via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] State Fair shifts filling fast!
7/10/18 7:48 am Stephen Greenfield via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] Minnesota global birders: South Africa!
7/8/18 1:43 pm Raymond Faber via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] bobwhite
7/5/18 11:52 am Raymond Faber via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] ecological trap
7/5/18 8:40 am Pamela Freeman via Mnbird <mnbird...> Re: [Mnbird] Prior Lake
7/5/18 8:33 am Roger Schmidt via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] Prior Lake
7/4/18 8:08 am Al Batt via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] Freeborn County
6/25/18 8:48 am Norma May via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] Sandhill Cranes
6/18/18 9:37 pm Stephen Greenfield via Mnbird <mnbird...> [Mnbird] Minnesota global birders, 6/27 -- Australia's east coast

Back to top
Date: 7/14/18 12:03 pm
From: kkelnberger via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: [Mnbird] State Fair shifts filling fast!
Volunteer at the fair for MOU. Sign up to work four hours at the MOU
booth, get a free pass and enjoy fair food and sights before of after
your shift ( or both before and after)
Email me, Kate Kelnberger: <kkelnberger...> with your preferences
and I will sign you up. I have tickets ready to mail out to you!

ONE VOLUNTEER NEEDED

Thursday, August: 23 5-9
Friday, August 24: 5-9
Wednesday, August 29: 5-9
Thursday, August 30: 5-9
Monday, September 3: 5-9
Sign up for an evening shift, enjoy the fair, relax at the booth and
enjoy the music then stay for the fire works. A perfect fair day!

ONE VOLUNTEER is needed for Saturday, September 1 from 9-1
Enjoy the fair after 1:00 for free.

These shifts need TWO VOLUNTEERS. Sign up with a friend!
Saturday, August 25, 5-9
Monday, August 27, 5-9
Friday, August 31, 1-5 and 5-9
Saturday, September 1: 5-9
Sunday, September 2: 1-5 and 5-9
Monday, September 3: 9-1 and 1-5

Back to top
Date: 7/14/18 10:21 am
From: kkelnberger via Mnbird <mnbird...>

Volunteer at the fair for MOU. Sign up to work four hours at the MOU
booth, get a free pass and enjoy fair food and sights before of after
your shit ( or both before and after)

Date: 7/10/18 7:48 am
From: Stephen Greenfield via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: [Mnbird] Minnesota global birders: South Africa!
The July 23rd gathering of the Minnesota "Global Birders" will feature a
presentation by Gerald Hoekstra on birding in South Africa. His group of
Minnesota birders visited sites from the northeast of the country, including
Kruger National Park, to the southwestern tip around Cape Town, recording
almost 500 species.

Monday July 23, 6:00 - 8:00 PM

Walker Library community room, 2880 Hennepin Ave. S (at Lagoon), Minneapolis

For more information, and to get a free "ticket" (so we can monitor the
number of attendees), go to the link below or type
"tinyurl.com/globalbirding11" into your browser.

Stephen Greenfield

Minneapolis

<mailto:<tapaculo47...> <tapaculo47...>

Back to top
Date: 7/8/18 1:43 pm
From: Raymond Faber via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: [Mnbird] bobwhite
I woke this morning to the sound of a bird singing loudly from my
backyard. It was a bobwhite quail! The last time one was on the property
was over 10 years ago. Very distinctive, unmistakeable, a sound of
wildness.

Ray Faber

--
Raymond A. Faber, Ph.D.
Professor of Biology

Telephone: 507-457-1540

Back to top
Date: 7/5/18 11:52 am
From: Raymond Faber via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: [Mnbird] ecological trap
For many years, I have studied herring gulls on islands in upper Green Bay,
Lake Michigan. Part of this work involves banding 500-1000 young each
year. Last week, two students very ably assisted me in the banding. We
search through dense vegetation with hockey sticks to find the young.
While doing this, one of the students yelled out that he found a duck
nest. It had 2-3 eggs in it which indicated a hatched nest with inviable
eggs left behind. Ducks, including red-breasted merganser, common
merganser, mallard, black duck, and gadwall, commonly nest among the
gulls. I told the students that this represents what we call an
"ecological trap" because the ducks get protection during incubation from
the very aggressive gulls (we wear hard hats), but I had never seen a
duckling leave the island. They are attacked and eaten when entering the
water. Just as I said that, one of the banders yelled "Oh, no!" A
red-breasted merganser duckling just offshore was attacked and eaten by a
herring gull. And then another. And then another. At least 5 ducklings
were killed. A gruesome sight, but somehow the ducks persist--they
continue to nest here after many years. Quite an ecological lesson in real
life!

By the way, the banding yields interesting results. Though few bands are
reported, it appears that the age of the gulls at death is increasing,
although we do not have enough data yet to confirm this. This is occurring
as the levels of contaminants that have ravaged these birds for many years
are decreasing significantly. In 2015 a herring gull wearing one of my
bands was identified by an interested observer reading the number with a
spotting scope (quite a feat). It was banded by me in 1986 and now stands
as the North American record for herring gull longevity (29 years, 3
months).

Ray Faber

Date: 7/5/18 8:40 am
From: Pamela Freeman via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: Re: [Mnbird] Prior Lake
I believe you have a sighting of the black masked ring tailed jelly
stealer. It is also known to like peanuts. Also sunflower seeds. But in the
area around where I live, it takes down jelly feeders.
Cute, but pernicious.
- Pamela
Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to
accomplish it. The time will pass anyway. - Unknown

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
― Aldo Leopold
I am one who cannot.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 10:33 AM Roger Schmidt via Mnbird <
<mnbird...> wrote:

> I had a first ever sighting of a Western Kingbird on my deck. What a
> beautiful bird. I have those green metal arms that clamp to the deck rail
> to hang feeders on. To make them more hospitable for the birds, I find like
> length or longer dead branches and zip tie them to the hooked arms. I'm
> sure the birds love them. It was on one of these the Kingbird was perched.
> It was morning feeding time, so those branches/feeders were were abuzz with
> activity. I suspect it was curious about all the activity.
>
> I'm hoping to see it again while sitting on the deck with my Canon
> outfitted with my birding lens.
>
> Can anyone identify this bird at my peanut dish??
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/7d_ef/29120673898
> <https://www.flickr.com/photos/7d_ef/29120673898/in/dateposted/>
>
> Sent from my iPad

Back to top

Date: 7/4/18 8:08 am
From: Al Batt via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: [Mnbird] Freeborn County
It is certainly a Dickcissel year. I hope their abundance foretells all good things. The world seems to be filled with newly minted robins. Trumpeter Swans, Sandhill Cranes and Gray Partridges have made themselves available for my viewing.
The Red-necked Grebes that had been nesting in Freeborn County are no longer doing so. They made three or four attempts at nesting. The pair carried nesting materials to two different sites about 20 feet apart on the same day, so I’m not sure if that should count as one or two attempts. It was a disagreement as per the best location, I reckon. At least one egg had been laid. The grebes were persistent, but the rain was unrelenting and the rising water destroyed each nest.
I read in MRVAC’s Trumpeter that Pat Telfer had died. Pat was a driving force in Minnesota Audubon and she and her husband, Jack, opened their home to me when Audubon meetings went long. I appreciated her friendship. I also bid farewell to Earl Jacobsen of Albert Lea. Jake had been a humble servant of the Albert Lea Audubon Society and other organizations for many years. He did so with grace. He loved the earth and the sky. As he paused at my pal’s funeral, the minister said, “Listen to the beauty of nature.”
I’ll be listening, but these birders will be missed.

Al Batt

Back to top
Date: 6/25/18 8:48 am
From: Norma May via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: [Mnbird] Sandhill Cranes
I’m a bit late in posting...Sandhill Cranes in my granddaughter’s yard in Watertown (Carver County) June 20th. She has heard that they may be raising young near a church on the outskirts of town.

Norma May

Back to top
Date: 6/18/18 9:37 pm
From: Stephen Greenfield via Mnbird <mnbird...>
Subject: [Mnbird] Minnesota global birders, 6/27 -- Australia's east coast
The next gathering of the Minnesota "Global Birders" group will be on June
27, and will feature a presentation by Chris Markham and Bob Metzger on
their recent trip to Australia's east coast. They will show a selection of
the photos of the 130 species of birds that Bob photographed, talk about the
birds and other animals and the geography of the region, and also discuss
the planning and logistics of the trip.

Wednesday, June 27, 6:00 - 8:00 PM

Walker Library community room, 2880 Hennepin Ave. S (at Lagoon), Minneapolis

For more information, and to get a free "ticket" (so we can monitor the
number of attendees), go to the link below or type
"tinyurl.com/globalbirding10" into your browser.

www.eventbrite.com/e/global-birders-birding-eastern-australia-tickets-462467
64317

[This post is not about Minnesota birds, but it is for Minnesota birders;
approved by MN-Bird administrator Paul Schumacher.]

P.s. Yes, we skipped last month. Even Minnesota "global birders" need to
concentrate on the home turf in May!