sd-birds
Received From Subject
4/22/24 7:22 pm Judy Hengen via groups.io <judyhengen...> [sd-birds] Canyon Lake Survey, RC, Pennington Co. April 22, 2024
4/22/24 6:59 am gabrunner73 via groups.io <gabrunner73...> [sd-birds] Broad-winged Hawk
4/20/24 7:09 pm Vic Fondy via groups.io <treasurecreek...> [sd-birds] WW to Orman and WW report
4/20/24 10:22 am Jeff Hansen via groups.io <jeff.hansen.sd...> [sd-birds] Feeder watch, sanborn county
4/19/24 1:21 pm David Strom via groups.io <djstrom...> [sd-birds] Outdoor Campus West Survey April 19, 2024
4/18/24 1:41 pm Chris Anderson via groups.io <canderson1...> Re: [sd-birds] [siouxfallsbirdclub] SFBC field trip - April 27
4/18/24 12:33 pm Chris Anderson via groups.io <canderson1...> [sd-birds] SFBC field trip - April 27
4/17/24 6:35 pm Preheim, Kelly via groups.io <kelly.preheim...> [sd-birds] Spring Arrivals - Douglas and Charles Mix Counties
4/17/24 2:32 pm Ricky Olson via groups.io <olsonr088...> [sd-birds] Ft Pierre
4/17/24 12:53 pm Vic Fondy via groups.io <treasurecreek...> [sd-birds] Thanks and WW Report
4/15/24 3:22 pm Judy Hengen via groups.io <judyhengen...> [sd-birds] Canyon Lake Survey, RC, Pennington Co. April 15, 2024
4/12/24 7:09 pm Vic Fondy <treasurecreek...> [sd-birds] Whitewood North
4/12/24 6:33 pm David Strom <djstrom...> [sd-birds] Outdoor Campus West Survey April 12, 2024
4/12/24 11:41 am Jeff Hansen <jeff.hansen.sd...> [sd-birds] New arrivals sanborn county
4/10/24 8:58 am Vic Fondy <treasurecreek...> [sd-birds] West River Migration Count
4/9/24 7:25 pm Judy Hengen <judyhengen...> [sd-birds] Canyon Lake Park Survey, RC, Pennington Co. April 9, 2024
4/9/24 6:08 pm Vic Fondy <treasurecreek...> [sd-birds] Storm and Whitewood Report
4/9/24 7:06 am foodrev <foodrev...> [sd-birds] How to sound cool to kids
4/8/24 6:54 pm N Drilling <dril0008...> [sd-birds] White-faced Ibis, Canyon Lake, Rapid City
4/7/24 7:48 pm Jeff Hansen <jeff.hansen.sd...> [sd-birds] Tree swallow
4/7/24 1:24 pm <susanjoneswismer...> [sd-birds] FOY NESD
4/6/24 10:53 am Vic Fondy <treasurecreek...> [sd-birds] Orman and WW Report
4/6/24 10:45 am Michael Zerr <zerrmick...> [sd-birds] purple finches
4/6/24 8:58 am Ricky Olson <olsonr088...> [sd-birds] Short-billed Gull
4/5/24 6:37 pm <shriker70...> [sd-birds] Custer spring meeting
4/5/24 11:40 am David Strom <djstrom...> [sd-birds] OutDoor Campus West Survey 4-5-2024
4/4/24 7:31 pm Michael M. Melius <pingothenbingo...> [sd-birds] FYI, Large curlew flock, Kansas
4/4/24 2:53 pm <jociebaker115...> [sd-birds] SANDHILL CRANES
4/3/24 8:19 pm Maggie Engler personal <birdwomanSD...> [sd-birds] verified osprey sightings
4/2/24 8:31 am Jeff Hansen <jeff.hansen.sd...> [sd-birds] Mitchell lake Bird
4/1/24 11:28 am Chris Anderson <canderson1...> [sd-birds] Peregrine Falcon
4/1/24 11:28 am Elizabeth Krueger via groups.io <spearlodge...> [sd-birds] A crane
4/1/24 10:14 am Jeff Hansen <jeff.hansen.sd...> [sd-birds] FOS Sanborn County
3/30/24 12:24 pm David Strom <djstrom...> [sd-birds] Amended Outdoor Campus Survey List 3-29-2024
3/30/24 9:21 am Michael M. Melius <pingothenbingo...> [sd-birds] Faulk birds
3/29/24 6:24 pm David Strom <djstrom...> [sd-birds] Out Door Campus West Survey 3-29-2024
3/28/24 4:08 pm Vic Fondy <treasurecreek...> [sd-birds] WW and West of Belle
3/25/24 12:33 pm Vic Fondy <treasurecreek...> [sd-birds] Lewis Woodpecker
3/24/24 5:34 pm Eric Harrold via groups.io <gentilis03...> Re: [sd-birds] GFP seeking comments on draft Ring-necked Pheasant Action Plan
3/24/24 2:11 pm Ricky Olson <olsonr088...> [sd-birds] Ft Pierre
3/24/24 1:27 pm Elizabeth Krueger via groups.io <spearlodge...> [sd-birds] McNenny GPA and Orman Dam
3/24/24 12:18 pm <shriker70...> [sd-birds] SDOU spring meeting
3/23/24 6:14 pm Vic Fondy <treasurecreek...> [sd-birds] Whitewood and Bear Butte Lake
3/23/24 1:14 pm N Drilling <dril0008...> [sd-birds] GFP seeking comments on draft Ring-necked Pheasant Action Plan
3/23/24 12:33 pm N Drilling <dril0008...> [sd-birds] Angostura Reservoir today

Back to top
Date: 4/22/24 7:22 pm
From: Judy Hengen via groups.io <judyhengen...>
Subject: [sd-birds] Canyon Lake Survey, RC, Pennington Co. April 22, 2024
Canyon Lake Park Survey, Rapid City, Pennington County
April 22, 2024 6:45 AM – 9:45 AM
Surveyors: Rachel Benton, Laural Bidwell, Judy Hengen, Victoria Hernandez,
Carol Johnson, Jackie Stucky-Strom
Conditions: Temp: Start: 47 End: 52 Wind(Beaufort Scale): Start: 1
End: 2
Cloud Cover: 0 Weather: clear, sunny, breezy
SPECIES: 33 INDIVIDUALS: 415

Canada Goose 38 (35 adults 3 young FOS) ON
Wood Duck 5
Northern Shoveler 3
Gadwall 35
American Wigeon 2
Mallard 15
Common Merganser 8
Rock Pigeon 35
Eurasian Collared-Dove 6
Great Blue Heron 18 ON
*Glossy Ibis 1*
Turkey Vulture 5
Osprey 3 C
Cooper’s Hawk 1
Belted Kingfisher 2
Downy Woodpecker 7 B
Northern Flicker 5
Black-capped Chickadee 9 NB
Tree Swallow 8 FOS
Red-breasted Nuthatch 3
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
European Starling 55
American Robin 15
Cedar Waxwing 12
House Sparrow 43
House Finch 31
Red Crossbill 2
Pine Siskin 3
Chipping Sparrow 1
Song Sparrow 4
Red-winged Blackbird 7 (FOS female)
Common Grackle 31
Yellow-rumped Warbler 1 (Myrtle)

Back to top
Date: 4/22/24 6:59 am
From: gabrunner73 via groups.io <gabrunner73...>
Subject: [sd-birds] Broad-winged Hawk
I saw a Broad-winged Hawk yesterday late afternoon at Oahe Downstream.  (past the campgrounds, where the road curves rather than turning down Diver's Point). According to range maps at Cornell, migration is in eastern SD but not this far east.  Audubon migration maps have uncommon for most of South Dakota, with common migration along far eastern South Dakota.  I realize maps might not be exactly right but this was the first broad-winged I had seen in South Dakota.

Aileen Brunner

Back to top
Date: 4/20/24 7:09 pm
From: Vic Fondy via groups.io <treasurecreek...>
Subject: [sd-birds] WW to Orman and WW report
We selected today 4/20 as the best day for birding, but the weather was
different than forecast with more wind and colder temps.  After reading
the East river list of Shorebirds we were determined to find shorebirds
and birded Bear Butte area lakes, Nisland slough and lagoons, and Belle
Fourche reservoir but found only Killdeer.  Our final stop was Sale Barn
Road lake near St. Onge and were rewarded with Greater Yellowlegs and
Long-billed Curlews nearby.  (Note:  Approach Sale Barn Road from the
south as the north road is badly rutted).

We had some interesting sightings today including FOS American White
Pelicans at Bear Butte Lake and BF Reservoir, Vesper Sparrows on Sale
Barn Rd, and Hooded Merganser at St. Onge pond on Crooked Oaks Road.  I
was a little uncertain on the Hooded Merganser which had the crest
lowered, but the black spurs are pretty diagnostic. Attached are
pictures of the Long-billed Curlew and Hooded Merganser.  Raptor
sightings were limited to Red-tailed and Rough-legged Hawks, Northern
Harrier, and American Kestrel.  One o the Harriers was displaying with
his dive/climb maneuver.  Loggerhead Shrikes appeared to be migrating as
we had 8 or more sightings.  The Great-horned Owl nest along SD 34 NW of
St. Onge now has two owls visible.

At our feeders 1.5 miles south of Whitewood, we had a FOS White-throated
Sparrow, the Song Sparrow is still around, and the Evening Grosbeaks
showed up again intermittently.  Our birding friend at Hat Ranch
subdivision south of Belle Fourche had a FOS Rock Wren on 4/17/24.

Vic/Donna Fondy  605.269.2553

Back to top
Date: 4/20/24 10:22 am
From: Jeff Hansen via groups.io <jeff.hansen.sd...>
Subject: [sd-birds] Feeder watch, sanborn county
I'm doing feeder watch this weekend and saw a chipping sparrow but then a
new sparrow showed up. Not one I recognized immediately. Took a picture
with my good camera and it's a vesper sparrow. Eating food on the ground.

I think this is my first vesper for feeder watch.

You never know what you'll see.

Back to top
Date: 4/19/24 1:21 pm
From: David Strom via groups.io <djstrom...>
Subject: [sd-birds] Outdoor Campus West Survey April 19, 2024
The weekly survey at the Outdoor Campus West was conducted on April 19, 2024, by Judy Hengen, Rachel Benton, Laural Bidwell and Jackie Stucky-Strom. 32 species were identified with a total of 234 Individuals.

Double Crested Cormorant-2

Great Blue Heron-2

Canada Goose-3

Mallard-11

Wood Duck-1

Turkey Vulture-6

Osprey-1

American Kestrel-1

Mourning Dove-1

Eurasian Collared Dove-12

Rock Pigeon-7

Belted Kingfisher-1

Downy Woodpecker-3

Northern Flicker-4

Blue Jay-5

American Crow-2

Black Capped Chickadee-8

Red Breasted Nuthatch-4

Pygmy Nuthatch-1

Ruby Crowned Kinglet-2

American Robin-19

European Starling-15

Cedar Waxwing-36

Yellow Rump Warbler-17

Spotted Towhee-1

Song Sparrow-3

Lincoln's Sparrow-1

Red Wing Blackbird-13

Common Grackle-21

House Finch-13

Pine Siskin--4

House Sparrow-14

Start Time: 7:00 am, 23 degrees, Sky-clear, Wind-0

End Time: 10:00 am, 40 degrees, Sky-clear, Wind-4

Back to top
Date: 4/18/24 1:41 pm
From: Chris Anderson via groups.io <canderson1...>
Subject: Re: [sd-birds] [siouxfallsbirdclub] SFBC field trip - April 27
My apologies - I neglected to mention our start time for this field trip. We will meet at the Outdoor Campus at 8:00 a.m.
On Thu, Apr 18, 2024 at 02:38 PM, <canderson1...> wrote:The Sioux Falls Bird Club will hold its April field trip next Saturday, April 27th to look for migrating shorebirds, waterfowl, and whatever else we can find around the wetlands west of Sioux Falls. We will meet at the Outdoor Campus (4500 S Oxbow Ave) to organize carpooling, and aim to be back around midday. This will primarily be a driving field trip, with stops to get out of the vehicles and check out the various wetlands along our route - these will likely include Wall Lake, Dewey Gevik Conservation Area, Klein's Slough, Fensterman's Slough, Grass Lake, Beaver Lake, and others in Minnehaha County. You do not need to be a club member to attend, all are welcome.
Despite the recent north winds, shorebirds continue to trickle into the Sioux Falls area. Within the last week, the following have been observed near SF: Marbled and Hudsonian Godwits, Lesser and Greater Yellowlegs, Baird's and Pectoral Sandpipers, American Golden-Plovers, Wilson's Phalaropes, American Avocets, Wilson's Snipe, and a Black-necked Stilt. Passerines like Purple Martins, Barn and Tree Swallows, Brown Thrasher, and various sparrows are also showing up now.
Always fun when migration starts picking up. Looking forward to getting out and enjoying it with folks on the 27th.
Chris Anderson
Sioux Falls, SD

Back to top

Date: 4/17/24 6:35 pm
From: Preheim, Kelly via groups.io <kelly.preheim...>
Subject: [sd-birds] Spring Arrivals - Douglas and Charles Mix Counties
Hey everyone! I'm going to try to be better about posting bird sightings. It seems like every day I see a couple more new arrivals during spring bird migration. This morning on my walk to school I heard a Harriss Sparrow. After school, on my walk around the lake in Armour, South Dakota, I saw my first Osprey of the year. This past weekend, some other FOYs were a flock of 40 White-faced Ibises flying over Armour and three Swainsons Hawks flying together in Douglas County. Theres a lot of waterfowl at the Lake Andes National Wildlife Refuge, along with American Avocets, Bairds Sandpipers, Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs. Purple Martins and Tree Swallows are increasing in numbers. I have seen Says Phoebe, Eastern Phoebe, Hermit Thrush and Vesper Sparrows in the area lately too.

My kindergarteners and Chickadee Bird Club kids are thrilled with all the birds they are seeing. They act like they saw celebrities! They are excited about the Turkey Vultures, Yellow-headed Blackbirds, Double-crested Cormorants, American White Pelicans and others. All the elementary kids are keeping track of their sightings on a huge, picture chart in the hallway. I think it helps make them more aware of the birds in their area. I hope you are all able to enjoy spring migration with the enthusiasm of a child!

Back to top
Date: 4/17/24 2:32 pm
From: Ricky Olson via groups.io <olsonr088...>
Subject: [sd-birds] Ft Pierre
Several species of sparrows & swallows arrived this week. Our Ospreys showed up. Large numbers of Ring-billed & Franklin’s Gulls around. Very little shorebird habitat within 100 miles so little knowledge of migration.
Sharing is half the fun of birding

Ricky D. Olson
Ft Pierre SD

Back to top
Date: 4/17/24 12:53 pm
From: Vic Fondy via groups.io <treasurecreek...>
Subject: [sd-birds] Thanks and WW Report
Thanks to Judy Hengen and the other ladies that weekly survey Canyon
Lake and the West River Campus.  Their reports often give us a forecast
of  migrating birds to look for at our feeders 1.5 miles south of
Whitewood.  An example is today we had our FOS Eastern Phoebe briefly at
our feeders which we might have overlooked today if it had not been
reported earlier on the West River Campus report. Other new sightings
since our last report include FOS Mourning Doves on 4/12, which are
still around, and a Sharp-shinned Hawk this morning.  The Lewis's
Woodpecker also showed up twice last week but is no longer protecting
the feeder it adopted.  I suspect it is still in the neighborhood and
headquartering at a location it used a few years ago.  Unfortunately the
Evening Grosbeaks have not returned recently. The warm weather has
lowered the larger numbers of birds feeding, but still lots of birds.

In the past 10 days we have been fortunate to received 5 inches of rain
which should help to offset the earlier drought conditions.  Whitewood
Creek is running very high and we have pairs of  both Common Mergansers
and Mallards on creek.  Attached is a picture of the male Common Merganser.

Vic/Donna Fondy 605.269.2553

Back to top
Date: 4/15/24 3:22 pm
From: Judy Hengen via groups.io <judyhengen...>
Subject: [sd-birds] Canyon Lake Survey, RC, Pennington Co. April 15, 2024
Canyon Lake Park Survey, Rapid City, Pennington County
April 15, 2024 6:45 AM – 9:35 AM
Surveyors: Muriel Anderson, LoRayne Baker, Rachel Benton, Laural Bidwell,
Judy Hengen, Jackie Stucky-Strom
Conditions: Temp: Start: 49 End: 62 Wind(Beaufort Scale): Start: 0
End: 2
Cloud Cover: 100% Weather: mild, cloudy
SPECIES: 35 INDIVIDUALS: 426

Canada Goose 24 ON
Wood Duck 10
Blue-winged Teal 6
Northern Shoveler 1
Gadwall 12
Mallard 19
Green-winged Teal 5
Ring-necked Duck 1
Common Merganser 5
Rock Pigeon 14
Eurasian Collared Dove 6
Mourning Dove 3
Killdeer 1
Great Blue Heron 31 CN ON
*Glossy Ibis* 1 (seen at 7:10 AM flying over Park Dr bridge into
Meadowbrook Golf Course)
Turkey Vulture 14
Osprey 3
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1
Bald Eagle 2
Downy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 4
Blue Jay 3
American Crow 3
Black-capped Chickadee 7
Red-breasted Nuthatch 2
European Starling 69
American Robin 27 CN
Cedar Waxwing 22
House Sparrow 37
House Finch 16
American Goldfinch 12
Song Sparrow 5
Red-winged Blackbird 18
Common Grackle 39
Yellow-rumped Warbler 2

Back to top
Date: 4/12/24 7:09 pm
From: Vic Fondy <treasurecreek...>
Subject: [sd-birds] Whitewood North
We birded today mainly lakes from Whitewood to Bear Butte Lake, Newell
Lagoons and golf course, Newell Lake, and return via Nisland slough and
lagoons, and other lakes along Whitewood Valley Road.  There were lots
of waterfowl and we ended up with 15 duck species including FOS
Blue-winged Teal. Raptors included  Rough-legged and Red-tailed Hawks,
Northern Harrier, American Kestrel and one Golden Eagle.  We had good
weather today with temperatures reaching 75 F but also pretty gusty
winds.  The wind farm wind chargers NE of Newell were turning nicely.
The repair work at Newell Lake is finished and you can again drive to
the east side but the lake water level is quite low.  We had several FOS
sightings including lots of Tree Swallows at Bear Butte Lake, Cormorants
and Loggerhead Shrike at Newell Lake, various sightings of Common
Grackles, and several sightings of Greater Yellowlegs.  My picture today
is a Jackrabbit which was with 3 others Jackrabbits. Jackrabbits have
been scarce for several years and this small group indicates they might
be increasing in numbers.  I believe Snowy Owl sightings are somewhat
tied to the number of Jackrabbits available.

We had our FOS Morning Dove at Whitewood when we returned.  In addition,
the Lewis's Woodpecker was back.

Vic/Donna Fondy 605.269.2553

Back to top
Date: 4/12/24 6:33 pm
From: David Strom <djstrom...>
Subject: [sd-birds] Outdoor Campus West Survey April 12, 2024
The weekly survey at the Outdoor Campus West was conducted on April 12, 2024 by Judy Hengen, Rachel Benton, LoRayne Baker, Laural Bidwell and Jackie Stucky-Strom. 35 species were identified with a total of 257 individuals.

Double Crested Cormorant-4

Canada Goose-16

Mallard-15

Gadwall-2

Green Wing Teal-4

Turkey Vulture-10

Red Tail Hawk-2

American Kestrel-1

Wilson's Snipe-1

Mourning Dove-7

Eurasian Collared Dove-11

Rock Pigeon-5

Downy Woodpecker-6

Hairy Woodpecker-1

Northern Flicker-5

Eastern Phoebe-1

Ruby Crowned Kinglet-1

Blue Jay-7

American Crow-2

Black Capped Chickadee-23

Red Breasted Nuthatch-4

Pygmy Nuthatch-3

American Robin-21

European Starlilnag-28

Cedar Waxwing-1

Yellow Rump Warbler-1

Northern Cardinal-3

Dark Eyed Junco-1

Song Sparrow-6

Red-Wing Blackbird-13

Common Grackle-14

House Finch-7

Pine Siskin-12

American Goldfinch-6

House Sparrow-13

Start Time: 7:00 AM, 30 degrees, sky-100% clear, wind-0

End Time: 10:00 AM, 55 degrees, sky-100% clear, wind-2

Back to top
Date: 4/12/24 11:41 am
From: Jeff Hansen <jeff.hansen.sd...>
Subject: [sd-birds] New arrivals sanborn county
I saw a chipping sparrow in my driveway today. Yesterday saw song sparrows.
I think I heard franklins gulls flying over.

Flickers are doing their thing. Saw three in one tree today. Wood ducks are
frequenting my trees

I was in Sioux falls Tuesday and think I had a winter wren at lake Alvin
which should be renamed cedar infestation Park. Such a depressing place.
The wren was at the spillway.

Had greater yellow legs on the big sioux River at gitchie manitou. What a
neat park. Unfortunately buckthorn and honeysuckle are taking over.

Back to top
Date: 4/10/24 8:58 am
From: Vic Fondy <treasurecreek...>
Subject: [sd-birds] West River Migration Count
The annual West River Migration Count (WRMC) dates are May 10-13, 2024
and I will be coordinating the count. Similar to the Audubon Christmas
Bird count, the WRMC is conducted during the second week of May to count
both species and numbers of birds migrating thru West South Dakota.  The
WRMC is conducted by counties.  During the four day period, volunteers
in Western SD from the Nebraska border to the North Dakota border will
count migrating birds arriving or passing thru South Dakota.

County coordinators for 2024 will be Charlie Miller-Harding, Jocie
Baker-Pennington, and Vic Fondy Butte and Lawrence.
Coordinators/participants are needed for  Custer and Fall River
counties.  Please let me know if you can participate in those counties.
Forms and further information will be passed out closer to the count dates.

Vic Fondy, Coordinator WRMC 605.269.2553  or <treasurecreek...>

Back to top
Date: 4/9/24 7:25 pm
From: Judy Hengen <judyhengen...>
Subject: [sd-birds] Canyon Lake Park Survey, RC, Pennington Co. April 9, 2024
Canyon Lake Park Survey, Rapid City, Pennington County
April 9, 2024 7:00 AM – 9:50 AM
Surveyors: LoRayne Baker, Laural Bidwell, Judy Hengen, Jackie Stucky-Strom
Conditions: Temp: Start: 37 End: 53 Wind(Beaufort Scale): 0
Cloud Cover: 0% Weather: sunny, clear, mild
SPECIES: 29 INDIVIDUALS: 325

Canada Goose 61
Wood Duck 4
Gadwall 30
American Wigeon 13
Mallard 28
Common Merganser 7
Rock Pigeon 5
Eurasian Collared-Dove 5
American Coot 6
Killdeer 1
Great Blue Heron 20
*Glossy Ibis* 1
Turkey Vulture 10
Osprey 1
Bald Eagle 2
Red-tailed Hawk 2
Northern Flicker 4
Blue Jay 4
American Crow 6
Black-capped Chickadee7
Red-breasted Nuthatch 1
European Starling 16
American Robin 24
Cedar Waxwing 6
House Sparrow 41
House Finch 5
Song Sparrow 2
Red-winged Blackbird 5
Common Grackle 8

Back to top
Date: 4/9/24 6:08 pm
From: Vic Fondy <treasurecreek...>
Subject: [sd-birds] Storm and Whitewood Report
The weekend storm brought 2.9 inches of rain and 7 inches of snow at our
home 1.5 miles south of Whitewood, but no new birds at the feeders.  Our
birder friend south of Belle Fourche reported Yellow-headed Blackbirds
passing thru at their feeders last Sundayand we saw very large numbers
of American Robins along Crook City Road and in Spearfish Monday.

The Lewis's Woodpecker was last seen Sunday, and has possibly moved on.
The Evening Grosbeaks are still seen daily.  We finally had two new
arrivals today with a male Common Merganser bouncing down Whitewood
Creek and a Song Sparrow in the feeder area.

Vic/Donna Fondy 605.269.2553

Back to top
Date: 4/9/24 7:06 am
From: foodrev <foodrev...>
Subject: [sd-birds] How to sound cool to kids

Seen in a youtube presentation today. Had to share.

"Instead of telling kids that you study Ornithology, tell them you work with Dinosaur Biology."

Doug Chapman

Back to top
Date: 4/8/24 6:54 pm
From: N Drilling <dril0008...>
Subject: [sd-birds] White-faced Ibis, Canyon Lake, Rapid City
Seen Sunday and Monday morning.

Nancy Drilling
Rapid City, SD
Gordon, NE

Back to top
Date: 4/7/24 7:48 pm
From: Jeff Hansen <jeff.hansen.sd...>
Subject: [sd-birds] Tree swallow
I'm pretty sure I saw tree swallows today here in Sanborn county.

My Phoebe has been back for a few days

Wind finally quit blowing

Back to top
Date: 4/7/24 1:24 pm
From: <susanjoneswismer...>
Subject: [sd-birds] FOY NESD
Neighbors say they saw nearly 100 swans in a group straight north of Britton, 2 miles south of the ND line this week.  I saw a pair on Saturday morning on a pond that has reported been there all week.  Big...the female had a greyer neck than the male.

Yard birds today:
First flicker in the grass
First juncoes in months.
A pair of purple martin scouts! Oh, what a beautiful sound!

Susan Wismer
Britton

Back to top
Date: 4/6/24 10:53 am
From: Vic Fondy <treasurecreek...>
Subject: [sd-birds] Orman and WW Report
We birded briefly on Friday from Whitewood to Orman.  Highlights
included a small flock of migrating Sparrows, but another vehicle
spooked the birds and we didn't ID them. St. Onge reservoir on Crooked
Oak roads had several species and the Great-horned Owl is still on the
nest along SD 34 at St. Onge.  Friday was very windy but we had  a
Northern Flicker at Orman which was a FOS for that area.  Orman is still
100% full and most of Gull Island submerged.

The Lewis's Woodpecker continues at our feeder area and chases off the
Blue Jays at the feeder it has adopted but lets the small birds feed.
Turkey Vultures also showed up yesterday circling over Whitewood.
Whitewood creek is free of ice and a pair of Mallards stopped by and a
Great-blue Heron is flying by at times. Evening Grosbeaks are still
intermittent visitors and I have attached a picture from 3.29.24.
Vic/Donna Fondy 605.269.2553

                                        .

Back to top
Date: 4/6/24 10:45 am
From: Michael Zerr <zerrmick...>
Subject: [sd-birds] purple finches
Merlin had been picking up Purple Finch songs in my SF yard the last few
days, but I have not seen any until today. Here is a video.
<https://flic.kr/p/2pHBEmy> This is the first male I have had in the yard.
I did have females two years ago.
https://flic.kr/p/2pHBEmy

Mick Zerr
SDOU/SFBC

Back to top
Date: 4/6/24 8:58 am
From: Ricky Olson <olsonr088...>
Subject: [sd-birds] Short-billed Gull
An adult Short-billed Gull was along the west Oahe Tailrace today. Many Ring-billed, an immature Lesser Black-backed Gull, a few Bonaparte’s & Franklin’s, and a single California. The California Gulls should been here in good numbers by now???

Date: 4/5/24 6:37 pm
From: <shriker70...>
Subject: [sd-birds] Custer spring meeting
Hi Birders,
The registration for the South Dakota Ornithologists Union ( SDOU ) 2024 spring meeting in Custer SD  is now open for people to sign up on our website at sdou.org ( http://sdou.org/ ) Click on “Next meeting” to get started.  All weekend details are posted including speakers, field trips, banquet registration and schedules.  The dates of the meeting are May 31 - June 2, and you do not have to be a member of SDOU to attend this event.  We would very much welcome attendance by anyone who is interested to see birds of the Custer area and would like to learn more about SDOU.  This should be a great weekend of birding and looking forward to seeing you all in Custer!

Mark Schmidtbauer
Brandon

Back to top
Date: 4/5/24 11:40 am
From: David Strom <djstrom...>
Subject: [sd-birds] OutDoor Campus West Survey 4-5-2024

The weekly survey at the Outdoor Campus West was conducted on April 5, 2024 by Judy Hengen, Laural Bidwell and Jackie Stucky-Strom. 27 species were identified with a total of 176 individuals.

Great Blue Heron-2

Canada Goose-11

Mallard-12

Gadwall-3

Ring-neck Duck-2

Turkey Vulture-4

Killdeer-1

Wilson's Snipe-2

Mourning Dove-1

Eurasian Collared Dove-7

Rock Pigeon-13

Hairy Woodpecker-1

Downy Woodpecker-4

Northern Flicker-6

American Crow-3

Blue Jay-3

Black-capped Chickadee-5

Pygmy Nuthatch-2

American Robin-28

European Starling-31

Northern Cardinal-2

Song Sparrow-5

Dark Eyed Junco-3

Common Grackle-2

Red Wing Blackbird-14

Pine Siskin-1

House Sparrow-8

Start Time: 7:00 AM, 45 degrees. Sky-100% cloudy. Wind-3

End Time: 9:30 AM, 52 degrees, Sky-100% Cloudy, Wind-4

Back to top
Date: 4/4/24 7:31 pm
From: Michael M. Melius <pingothenbingo...>
Subject: [sd-birds] FYI, Large curlew flock, Kansas
I hope this eBird link works, taking you to photos of a flock of
Long-billed Curlew found near Garden City, KS on 03 April. Some 1,750 birds
reported:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S167091313

Michael Melius

Back to top
Date: 4/4/24 2:53 pm
From: <jociebaker115...>
Subject: [sd-birds] SANDHILL CRANES
Heard a flock of Sandhill Cranes calling - near intersec5ion of Catron Blvd.
and Mt. Rushmore Rd., Rapid City.

Jocie Baker, Rapid City

Back to top
Date: 4/3/24 8:19 pm
From: Maggie Engler personal <birdwomanSD...>
Subject: [sd-birds] verified osprey sightings
Today, April 3, there were verified osprey sightings at

Silver City - 2

the Rapid City Cement plant - 1

Executive Golf Course, Rapid City - 2

Maggie Engler

Caputa SD

Back to top
Date: 4/2/24 8:31 am
From: Jeff Hansen <jeff.hansen.sd...>
Subject: [sd-birds] Mitchell lake Bird
Ring billed gulls are back along with cormorants and coots.

I saw about 30 killdeer on my road in Sanborn county.

I got a ton of snow and Mitchell got very little.

Back to top
Date: 4/1/24 11:28 am
From: Chris Anderson <canderson1...>
Subject: [sd-birds] Peregrine Falcon
After coming back to work from lunch today, I noticed my first Peregrine Falcon of the year perched on top of the US Bank building in downtown Sioux Falls. I know they have a considerably longer history of being in downtown SF, but for the last 13 years that I have been seeing them (spring and fall) from my office, today is exactly the median spring arrival date of my sightings.
Chris Anderson
Sioux Falls, SD

Back to top
Date: 4/1/24 11:28 am
From: Elizabeth Krueger via groups.io <spearlodge...>
Subject: [sd-birds] A crane
This morning at McNenny GPA I encountered a single sandhill crane. I didn't see it until it flushed, and I automatically thought great blue heron until I realized what sound it was making.

Despite the snow, the blackbirds, meadowlarks, song sparrows, and the one marsh wren were singing with abandon.

Elizabeth Krueger
Spearfish

Back to top
Date: 4/1/24 10:14 am
From: Jeff Hansen <jeff.hansen.sd...>
Subject: [sd-birds] FOS Sanborn County
I heard my first snipe a day or two ago. Sandhills flew over yesterday.

Lots of white fronted geese and snow geese at the Letcher sewage ponds.

It is currently snowing like crazy. i think we have 5 or 6 inches.

All the regulars at the feeders. Grackles are back.

--
Jeff Hansen
https://www.youtube.com/BackyardBirdsUS

Back to top
Date: 3/30/24 12:24 pm
From: David Strom <djstrom...>
Subject: [sd-birds] Amended Outdoor Campus Survey List 3-29-2024
The weekly survey at the Outdoor Campus West was conducted on Friday, March 29, 2024 by Judy Hengen, LoRayne Baker and Jackie Stucky-Strom. 27 species were identified with a total of 119 individuals.

Great Blue Heron-2

Canada Goose-25

Mallard-78

Gadwall-5

Green Wing Teal-2

Ring Neck Duck-2

Wood Duck-2

Wilson's Snipe-1

Eurasian Collared Dove-7

Rock Pigeon-4

Belted Kingfisher-1

Downy Woodpecker-6

Hairy Woodpecker-2

Northern Flicker-5

Blue Jay-6

Black- Capped -Chickadee-3

Red Breasted Nuthatch-1

Townsend's Solitaire-2

American Robin-20

European Starling-21

Northern Cardinal-2

Dark Eyed Junco-12

Song Sparrow-1

Red Wing Blackbird-9

House Finch-7

Pine Siskin-4

House Sparrow-3

Start Time: 7:15 AM, 39 degrees, Sky-50% covered, Wind-2
End Time: 9:30 AM, 47 degrees, Sky-50%covered, Wind-3

Back to top
Date: 3/30/24 9:21 am
From: Michael M. Melius <pingothenbingo...>
Subject: [sd-birds] Faulk birds
FOY species found in recent days near Faulkton include Sandhill Crane (1),
Greater Yellowlegs (2), Mourning Dove (1) and A. Kestrel (3). Killdeers,
gulls, crows and harriers have been observed flying north recently.

Snow Geese were first seen here 22 Feb., and they're still moving through
and milling about. Ducks have become numerous the past week. Lots of water
around, most with some ice still on it.

I encountered two small flocks of Greater Prairie Chickens southwest of
Faulkton yesterday. There may have been a Sharp-tail with them.

Michael Melius

Back to top

Date: 3/28/24 4:08 pm
From: Vic Fondy <treasurecreek...>
Subject: [sd-birds] WW and West of Belle
The Evening Grosbeaks returned right after my last post and this morning
we had 10 at the feeders.  The Lewis's Woodpecker has stayed around and
is giving us endless enjoyment.  It has adopted a bird feeder built by
Ernie Miller and chases larger birds, such as the Blue Jays away, but
allows the smaller birds like Junco's, Goldfinches, and Siskins to
feed.  The Tree Sparrow is still around as well as large numbers of
other winter regulars.

We birded west of Belle this morning and returned via Upper Redwater,
Coxes lake, and McNenny hatchery.  Birds were really scarce west of
Belle, but sightings improved near Beulah, and McNenny.  Ducks sightings
included Mallard, Green-winged Teal, Ringed Neck, and Common Merganser.
Only FOY sighting was a single Turkey Vulture over McNenny.  Great-blue
Herons returned to the rookery just out of Beulah. Also nearby the
rookery was a huge flock of 150-200 Turkeys.  Raptor sightings were
limited to Red-tailed and Rough-legged Hawks and American Kestrel.
Starlings were migrating and we has several flocks of over 100 each.
Lots of Western Meadow Larks.  Nothing on the Osprey nest at Coxes Lake.

Vic/Donna Fondy 605.269.2553

Back to top
Date: 3/25/24 12:33 pm
From: Vic Fondy <treasurecreek...>
Subject: [sd-birds] Lewis Woodpecker
The snow storm brought us our first ever Lewis's Woodpecker to the
feeders today.  It immediately took over one feeder and is chasing the
Blue Jays away from that feeder.  A picture is attached below. Vic/Donna
Fondy 605.269.2553

Back to top
Date: 3/24/24 5:34 pm
From: Eric Harrold via groups.io <gentilis03...>
Subject: Re: [sd-birds] GFP seeking comments on draft Ring-necked Pheasant Action Plan
So will the SDOU put out a position statement on this proposal?
Eric HarroldSanborn, IA
On Saturday, March 23, 2024 at 03:14:31 PM CDT, N Drilling <dril0008...> wrote:

Some may not be aware of this.

GFP Seeking Comment on Draft Ring-Necked Pheasant Action Plan

PIERRE, S.D. – South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks (GFP) is seeking comments on a draft Ring-necked Pheasant Action plan.

The Ring-necked Pheasant Action plan, 2024-2028, is a document that will be used by GFP to guide ring-necked pheasant management in South Dakota through identified management objectives and measurable strategies to meet these management objectives. All individuals interested in ring-necked pheasant management in South Dakota may provide suggestions and comments on the Ring-necked Pheasant Action Plan until Monday, April 1.

The draft Ring-necked Pheasant Action plan can be found online at gfp.sd.gov/management-plans

Written comments on the plan can be sent to 523 E. Capitol Ave., Pierre, S.D. 57501, or emailed to <WildInfo...> Comments must be received by the deadline and include your full name and city of residence.

Back to top
Date: 3/24/24 2:11 pm
From: Ricky Olson <olsonr088...>
Gulls: many Ring-billed, a few Herring & Lesser Black-backed. Today saw Franklin’s.i do not know why there are no California around ??
Waterfowl normal. not passerine migrant’s around

Date: 3/24/24 1:27 pm
From: Elizabeth Krueger via groups.io <spearlodge...>
Subject: [sd-birds] McNenny GPA and Orman Dam
Today at McNenny GPA I heard and, after waiting a while, saw a singing marsh wren. I also saw a snipe that flew down the creek, landed at the edge, and turned into a really good imitation of a clump of sedges. Other critters included a harrier, downy woodpecker, tree sparrows, song sparrows, blue jays, mallards, gadwalls, Canada geese, chickadees, red-winged blackbirds, meadowlarks, and a muskrat.

Yesterday morning not a breeze was blowing in Spearfish, so naturally when I got to Orman a full gale was in progress. It was impossible to hold the binoculars still but I did see flocks of presumably migrating tree sparrows as well as a group of full-size mergansers (at a distance), a pair of hooded mergansers, a harrier, and the standard ducks, geese, and ring-billed gulls.

Elizabeth Krueger
Spearfish

Back to top
Date: 3/24/24 12:18 pm
From: <shriker70...>
Subject: [sd-birds] SDOU spring meeting
Hi birders,

We at the South Dakota Ornithologists Union (SDOU) are looking for a few more new birders!   SDOU is holding our annual spring meeting on the dates of May 31 st – June 2 nd , 2024 in Custer SD located in the beautiful southern Black Hills.  All SDOU members and any new guest birders are encouraged and welcomed to attend.  Notifying everyone of our upcoming spring meeting now, gives you more time to block-off these dates on your calendar if you are wanting to attend.   We at SDOU would love to meet new people in Custer at this meeting who are interested in birds and have a desire to see birds that maybe are different then what they are used to seeing in their own neck of the woods.  Our annual spring meeting gives any birder, wherever they live, the perfect opportunity to come and meet new people by partaking in the weekends festivities and to see what SDOU is all about.  You need not be a member to attend and you do not have to join SDOU if you don’t desire but even as a guest birder for the weekend what you will gain is knowledge about birds from a great group of people who are very willing to help any new birder see new birds.

The specific details of the meeting are still in processing and this information will be coming out within a month or so and will be published on our SDOU website sdou.org ( http://sdou.org/ ) What is important to know now is that all meeting events, including the field trip starting points, the speaker presentations and the banquet will be held at the Custer County Annex building (the Custer County Library) in Custer SD.   This is important because Custer and Black Hills area hotels and lodging fill up fast during the tourist season and securing lodging sooner rather than later is paramount.  Typically, people that attend the SDOU meeting will need lodging for two nights which would be the nights of Friday, May 31 st and Sat.  June 1 st.  There will be no official hotel for the meeting and no reserved rooms set aside for SDOU members so finding lodging nearby will be the responsibility of the attendee and probably should booked well before the meeting.  There are MANY, MANY hotels, motels, cabins, VRBOs, and campgrounds both public and private within 4 miles of Custer.  Information about lodging can be found online or by calling the Custer Chamber of Commerce (605-673-2244).

As I mentioned before, more specific details about the speaker presentations, field trips, banquet info, and the actual meeting registration form will soon be forthcoming on the SDOU website sdou.org ( http://sdou.org/ ) probably in the next month or so.  When this happens, then, that will be the time where you can fill out your information and register for the meeting.  Also, if you have not renewed your SDOU membership for this year or if you want to join SDOU as a new member, you can use our website sdou.org ( http://sdou.org/ ) to do just that.   If you have any questions please reply or message me privately and I will be sure to try to answer them. Thanks.

Mark Schmidtbauer
Brandon

Back to top
Date: 3/23/24 6:14 pm
From: Vic Fondy <treasurecreek...>
Subject: [sd-birds] Whitewood and Bear Butte Lake
We had commitments today and didn't get in our weekly birding trip
except for a short visit to Bear Butte Lake.  The duck population has
exploded since last week and there were several 100 ducks with probably
most every species normally seen.  We saw Mallards, Pintails, Gadwalls,
Wigeons, Shovelers, GW Teal, Canvasback, Ring-necked, Lesser Scaup,
Bufflehead, and Common Merganser during a quick stop.  There were also a
pair of Bald Eagles and a Northern Harrier.  Still no Herons or
Cormorants.  Lots of Coots.  Red-winged Blackbirds finally made it up
here and we saw two large flocks on the way home.

No new sightings at our feeders 1.5 miles south of Whitewood except for
the one Tree Sparrow which is back and three American Robins stopped by
briefly.  The Mountain Bluebirds are still along Crook City Road.
Whitewood Creek is almost fully open, but still no duck sightings.

Vic/Donna Fondy 605.269.2553

Back to top
Date: 3/23/24 1:14 pm
From: N Drilling <dril0008...>
Some may not be aware of this.

*GFP Seeking Comment on Draft Ring-Necked Pheasant Action Plan*

PIERRE, S.D. – South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks (GFP) is seeking comments
on a draft Ring-necked Pheasant Action plan.

The Ring-necked Pheasant Action plan, 2024-2028, is a document that will be
used by GFP to guide ring-necked pheasant management in South Dakota
through identified management objectives and measurable strategies to meet
these management objectives. All individuals interested in ring-necked
pheasant management in South Dakota may provide suggestions and comments on
the Ring-necked Pheasant Action Plan until Monday, April 1.

The draft Ring-necked Pheasant Action plan can be found online at
gfp.sd.gov/management-plans

Written comments on the plan can be sent to 523 E. Capitol Ave., Pierre,
S.D. 57501, or emailed to <WildInfo...>
<WildInfo...>?subject=Draft%20Fisheries%20Management%20Priorities>.

Date: 3/23/24 12:33 pm
From: N Drilling <dril0008...>
Subject: [sd-birds] Angostura Reservoir today
Angostura Reservoir, Fall River County, had an extremely early ice out this
winter (sometime in early February) and the resulting waterbird migration
has been very weird. This morning, I found ~20 individuals of waterfowl
(all Canada geese or dabbling ducks) when there should have been thousands
of diving ducks. But I did find some exceptionally early waterbirds. The
fun began at the swim beach with two Common Loons, still in winter plumage;
these birds are 2-4 weeks early. A small group of American White Pelicans
were roosting on a sandbar by the dam; this is 1-3 weeks early. And picking
through the thousands of Ring-billed Gulls, I found a handful of Herring
Gulls (not unusual) and a Lesser Black-backed Gull (quite rare West River).

In addition to the waterfowl migration, March is a great time to check out
all the big nests in trees before leaf-out.I visited two Bald Eagle nests
in the Oelrichs area that can easily be seen before leaf-out from Highway
385. One, a couple of miles north on Lemon School Road, has an incubating
bird. The other, a new nest this year, is south of town a few miles. It had
a pair of eagles a couple of weeks ago but now is empty. This may have been
a case of a new pair starting a 'practice' nest which they hopefully will
finish in upcoming years.

Sadly, the south Angostura nest, which has produced many an eaglet over the
years, fell down this winter. No sign of a new nest going up in the area.

Nancy Drilling
Rapid City, SD
Gordon, NE