OHIO-BIRDS
Received From Subject
3/27/24 12:38 pm Sandra Keller <000007a762f332b7-dmarc-request...> [Ohio-birds] Butler county - Gilmore
3/27/24 8:41 am WANG PEGGY <00000454f4164bea-dmarc-request...> [Ohio-birds] Battelle Darby & Darby bend lakes wed am
3/27/24 8:09 am robert lane <ohiomagpie...> [Ohio-birds] Passing Of Naturalist & Birder Jim Kerr
3/25/24 2:44 pm WANG PEGGY <00000454f4164bea-dmarc-request...> [Ohio-birds] Denison Monday afternoon/Granville backyard
3/25/24 2:00 pm Sandra Keller <000007a762f332b7-dmarc-request...> [Ohio-birds] Rocky fork state park - Highland county - still waterfowl
3/24/24 6:12 pm Sandra Keller <000007a762f332b7-dmarc-request...> [Ohio-birds] Snipe - Fernald - Hamilton county
3/23/24 2:44 pm Tim Komjati <00000a8bddb94610-dmarc-request...> [Ohio-birds] Eurasian Wigeon
3/22/24 7:59 pm Robert Thorn <robthorn6...> [Ohio-birds] Inland Rare Birds, March 16-22
3/20/24 6:31 pm Sandra Keller <000007a762f332b7-dmarc-request...> [Ohio-birds] Ebird - back up
3/18/24 2:44 pm Robert Thorn <robthorn6...> [Ohio-birds] TourDeQuarries,3-16: waterfowl
3/18/24 1:03 pm Sandra Keller <000007a762f332b7-dmarc-request...> [Ohio-birds] Indian creek - brown county - waterfowl
3/18/24 11:17 am <mmvalencic...> [Ohio-birds] FREE eBird Mobile Presentation for iPhone users
3/17/24 3:44 pm Sandra Keller <000007a762f332b7-dmarc-request...> [Ohio-birds] Hamilton county - Lake Barber and Newtown Gravel - yellowlegs
3/16/24 7:50 pm Robert Thorn <robthorn6...> [Ohio-birds] DeerCreekLakeArea,3-16: waterfowl,GrYellowlegs,Ospreys,Phoebes
3/15/24 7:31 pm Robert Thorn <robthorn6...> [Ohio-birds] Inland Rare Birds, Mar 10-15
3/14/24 4:37 pm JoDee Russo <jodee114...> [Ohio-birds] Checking in
3/13/24 12:46 pm Sandra Keller <000007a762f332b7-dmarc-request...> [Ohio-birds] Shor park - Clermont - exploring
3/12/24 9:12 am Sandra Keller <000007a762f332b7-dmarc-request...> [Ohio-birds] Butler and Hamilton counties - birds on the move!
3/11/24 1:26 pm Sandra Keller <000007a762f332b7-dmarc-request...> [Ohio-birds] Lake barber - Hamilton county
3/8/24 8:16 pm Robert Thorn <robthorn6...> [Ohio-birds] Inland Rare Birds, 3-02 thru 08
3/8/24 1:50 pm Peggy Wang <00000454f4164bea-dmarc-request...> [Ohio-birds] Friday AM: FOS E Phoebe, Denison
3/7/24 8:19 am Sandra Keller <000007a762f332b7-dmarc-request...> [Ohio-birds] ebird outage - mid March
3/6/24 3:09 pm Sandra Keller <000007a762f332b7-dmarc-request...> [Ohio-birds] Lake barber - Hamilton county
3/5/24 3:58 pm WANG PEGGY <00000454f4164bea-dmarc-request...> [Ohio-birds] Denison FOY Field Sparrow
3/5/24 3:31 pm Douglas Vogus <vogeye...> [Ohio-birds] Cuyahoga Valley Towpath Trail Census
3/5/24 2:45 pm Douglas Vogus <vogeye...> [Ohio-birds] Ottawa NWR Monthly Census
3/4/24 12:56 pm Robt McNulty <0000066f33ed1548-dmarc-request...> Re: [Ohio-birds] OHIO-BIRDS Digest - 29 Feb 2024 to 1 Mar 2024 (#2024-55)
3/3/24 6:40 pm WANG PEGGY <00000454f4164bea-dmarc-request...> [Ohio-birds] Killbuck area Sunday
3/3/24 3:58 pm Cynthia Host <chostbird...> [Ohio-birds] Sparrow Program
3/3/24 3:00 pm Sandra Keller <000007a762f332b7-dmarc-request...> [Ohio-birds] Gilmore metro - butler - slow
3/3/24 8:55 am Lceperley <00000a75c94eb484-dmarc-request...> Re: [Ohio-birds] OHIO-BIRDS Digest - 13 Feb 2024 to 14 Feb 2024 (#2024-42)
3/3/24 6:56 am Judy Lundquist <jlq.sci...> Re: [Ohio-birds] OHIO-BIRDS Digest - 29 Feb 2024 to 1 Mar 2024 (#2024-55)
3/2/24 4:41 pm Randy Rowe <rowe926...> [Ohio-birds] Killbuck Marsh, Wayne County
3/2/24 6:16 am Canterbury, Ronald (canterrd) <00000951b275ca19-dmarc-request...> [Ohio-birds] Call for Winter 2023-2024 Ohio Cardinal data
3/2/24 5:54 am WANG PEGGY <00000454f4164bea-dmarc-request...> [Ohio-birds] Blendon Woods Friday afternoon
3/1/24 11:14 pm Judy Schuster <000007e856f8fc83-dmarc-request...> Re: [Ohio-birds] Inland Rare Birds, Feb 25 - Mar 1
3/1/24 7:51 pm Robert Thorn <robthorn6...> [Ohio-birds] Inland Rare Birds, Feb 25 - Mar 1
2/29/24 4:40 pm Sandra Keller <000007a762f332b7-dmarc-request...> [Ohio-birds] Tree swallows - Feb bird! Success!
2/29/24 9:52 am Allen Chartier <amazilia3...> Re: [Ohio-birds] Columbiana County February Hummingbird
2/29/24 9:12 am robert lane <ohiomagpie...> [Ohio-birds] Columbiana County February Hummingbird
2/28/24 3:50 pm Sandra Keller <000007a762f332b7-dmarc-request...> [Ohio-birds] RB Mergs - Newton gravel pits - Hamilton county
2/28/24 8:29 am Robt McNulty <0000066f33ed1548-dmarc-request...> [Ohio-birds] Pine siskin
2/27/24 2:15 pm Sandra Keller <000007a762f332b7-dmarc-request...> [Ohio-birds] A Feb. bird quest - Tree Swallow - Hamilton and butler counties

Back to top
Date: 3/27/24 12:38 pm
From: Sandra Keller <000007a762f332b7-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Butler county - Gilmore
And a couple other water spots. Water levels are high. What happened??
I didn't think we were getting enough rain! Don't mind me, I want shorebirds
In a month. These areas could dry some by then. A few Rusty’s were at Gilmore.
And a new high count for Shoveler for me. 34 at Gilmore. I thought a high count
Thought I had to sort through all my Ohio shoveler records to see. No! Ebird
Has a new feature - when you pull up your sightings of individual species - I
Have a lot for shoveler - right at the top is first date seen, last date, and high count!
Yea! I love ebird. Goldfinches singing. This was primarily a trip to check on
Possible shorebird spots. Feels like winter again out there.

Good birding all.

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini

Back to top
Date: 3/27/24 8:41 am
From: WANG PEGGY <00000454f4164bea-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Battelle Darby & Darby bend lakes wed am
I had to be in Columbus today for something else & wandered around these areas to see what was around.

The teal trail at the wetlands was pretty productive. There were several ducks: Ruddy, Bufflehead (males doing rapid head bobs), mallards, Ring-necked, Green-winged Teal, one Redhead, and as I was watching the others, 4 Blue-winged Teal flew in, my FOY. There was also a pair of Trumpeter Swans and a number of Coots. I heard Pied-billed Grebe & a Virginia Rail did both its marvelous pig grunt as well as the kiddick call although I did not see it. Also saw/heard Eastern Meadowlark. the only sparrow was Song sparrow & of course numerous Red-winged BBs. Heard a Killdeer call.

And then went to Darby Bend Lakes where I picked up my FOY Osprey as well as Turkey and Black Vultures. Only a couple mallards and a distant scaup sp. A few Tree Swallows and more killdeer.

Peggy Wang
Granville
Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 3/27/24 8:09 am
From: robert lane <ohiomagpie...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Passing Of Naturalist & Birder Jim Kerr
It is with great sadness that we share this message, The “Father of The Beaver Creek Wildlife Education Center” in Columbiana County, passed away yesterday after declining health in the past year. It was because of his vision in 2000 when he retired from Beaver Local High School as a biology teacher, that the “Education Center” got its start. With his leadership, he selected a group of volunteers in 2002 to become the beginning of the organization we are today.
Jim won many awards over the years for his dedication to educating others on wildlife of all types. He loved to share his knowledge with all who wanted to learn, and influenced so many people over the years. He and his wife Becky, who passed before him, spent countless hours at “ The Center” over the years, building displays, leading tours, and teaching our visitors.
“The Wildlife Education Center” will continue to be the amazing Natural History Museum that Jim envisioned. We have a strong volunteer group with many talents. We will never be able to fill the void left by his passing, but we are determined to move forward and continually improve so he would be proud.
Because of what Jim imagined back when, “The Center”, now has over 350 mounts of birds, mammals, and reptiles, on display. This includes 182 of birds found in Ohio.
We have many memories of time and adventures shared with Jim. One of those was to an old dilapidated barn to view a known Barn Owl family. After we left the barn we looked at photos taken in the dark. What we thought was going to be young downy Barn Owls, was really young white downy Turkey Vultures. What a surprise. Barn Owls were also there!
Jim! We will miss you.

Bob & Denise Lane

Back to top
Date: 3/25/24 2:44 pm
From: WANG PEGGY <00000454f4164bea-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Denison Monday afternoon/Granville backyard
I went for a walk late afternoon at Denison instead of early morning as I’m still resting up from my trek to see the Sandhill Crane spectacle near Kearney NE—never made the trip & I highly recommend it—it really is amazing. The aerial count when I arrived was about 344,000 and the next week before I left, it was 464,000! The sounds & sights at morning lift-off & evening fly-in are truly awesome. Also visited 2 Greater Prairie Chicken leks which was great fun.

As for Denison, it was quiet given the time of day but I finally saw my FOS Tree Swallow at swallow field. There were a couple White-throated Sparrows as well as Song & Field plus towhees. A few Com Grackles. Some bluebirds. Pair of Wood Ducks.

I saw my FOS Chipping Sparrow at my feeders this morning & the E Phoebe that nests across the street was singing. A male bluebird was checking out my neighbor’s bluebird house.

Peggy Wang
Granville
Sent from my iPad

Back to top
Date: 3/25/24 2:00 pm
From: Sandra Keller <000007a762f332b7-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Rocky fork state park - Highland county - still waterfowl
I have been meaning to get out here for waterfowl. And to just explore more.
I picked a good day! Felt like spring. Common Loon and coots still around.
Although I think the Common Loons are just starting to come north. Both
GW and BW teal were in a shallow water spot - I think shallow - at the bridge
Before the marina. Corms back in numbers. Brown Thrashers around. Loads
Of Bonies. Only one Ring billed Gull!

Not too much passerine wise - probably because I was there in the afternoon. I found
A couple new spots there that look good for passerines. If I manage to get
Back during migration.

I love this place for odes - and sure enough my fos Green Darner! I am presuming
Green Darner. It was far. But they are an early ode.

No swallows this afternoon! Strange. Tree Swallows seem back all over.

Good birding all.

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini

Back to top
Date: 3/24/24 6:12 pm
From: Sandra Keller <000007a762f332b7-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Snipe - Fernald - Hamilton county
I went this late afternoon mainly wanting to see what the controlled burn there
Was doing to the birds. It will be interesting to see what uses the newly burned
Fields. I had 17 Snipe. But most were in flight. Only one on the ground feeding.
The loss of cover for them may mean they move more. A harrier spooked a group
A couple times. Etc. I never did find the Pipits that were reported feeding in
The burned areas.

The 17 is a new high count for me. But not by much. Was 16! Lodge Pond when
The water is lower is still my favorite spot for Snipe.

Got 1/2 days to bird the coming week. Here’s hoping it gets warmer! I was debating
Whether to hit Fernald after Luke’s post on the Snipe. Too windy….. wind and I
Don’t agree…..

Good birding all.

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini

Back to top
Date: 3/23/24 2:44 pm
From: Tim Komjati <00000a8bddb94610-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Eurasian Wigeon
Saw an alert from a birder named Sarah that an Eurasian Wigeon was at Krabill Lodge in Medina County. Met her on the trail at Krabill around 1:00 today and she pointed out the area it was in. Got some video through my spotting scope. Very windy, cold and video was shaky but good enough to identify the EW. A big thank you to Sarah.

Tim Komjati

Back to top
Date: 3/22/24 7:59 pm
From: Robert Thorn <robthorn6...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Inland Rare Birds, March 16-22
Unusual Geese and Swans are stragglers now, with most north & west of us.
Many Diving Ducks are also receding northward, though we still have lots of
dabbling ducks. Early shorebirds are now spangling the reports. E.Phoebes &
Tree Swallows don’t even merit mention now, with other flycatchers &
swallows starting to appear. Kinglets, Fox Sparrows, Towhees, some Sparrows
are starting to move in numbers now, as are field birds like longspurs and
horned larks.

Ross’s Geese – hardly any. Most of the current reports come from Michigan.

Cackling Geese – stragglers, and nearly all in Indiana: 1 at Eagle Creek
Park (Indianapolis) 3-18; another at Lake Monroe south of Bloomington IN
3-17; another at Moyer-Gould Woods (NE of W.Lafayette) IN 3-21

GreaterWhite-frontedGeese – still small groups in IL and western IN, but
hardly any further east or south

Eurasian Wigeon – the bird at Killbuck Marsh (near Wooster) OH was still
being found thru 3-21

Long-tailed Ducks – a late migrant wave included birds at Buckeye Lake OH
3-17, Lake Linville KY 3-17, Montoux Park lake in Evanston IN 3-21&22, and
Portage Lake (near Ann Arbor )MI 3-19

Harlequin Duck – the bird in Lake Erie at Avon lake Veterans Park lingered
to 3-20

White-winged Scoters – gone further north, with plenty of records along the
lake Michigan shoreline in MI and in Canada (like Pt Pelee).

Surf Scoter – 1 was on the Ohio River in Marietta OH 3-18, but most records
are further north, on Lake Michigan or at Point Pelee, Ont.

Black Scoter –a scattering of late records: 1 at Dillon Reservoir (W of
Zanesville) OH 3-16, another at Ambridge Reservoir (near Beaver) PA 3-17,
another up at Bimini Lake (near Clearfield) PA 3-17&18

Eared Grebe – the bird around Nimisila Reservoir (near Akron) OH was still
being seen thru 3-17. The 1 off Montrose harbor in N.Chicago was likewise
found thru 3-21

Red-necked Grebes – Eagle Creek lake (Indianapolis) had 1 on 3-20; all
other reports are north of us.

White-winged Dove – a stakeout of this rare western stray was at Lexington
KY thru 3-18

White Pelicans – lots of singles and small groups in IN & IL, with the
Western basin of Lake Erie the only reliable spot in MI & OH

Neotropical Cormorant – the bird at the McKinley quarry rookery in Columbus
OH was still there thru 3-19 and will likely stay the breeding season. The
bird at Nimisila Reservoir near Akron OH was still around thru 3-19

Virginia Rail – still lots of scattered records, indicating the start of
their migration

American Golden Plover – a scattering of records from SW Indiana and W
Kentucky 3-15 thru 18 are the migrant vanguard of this gorgeous shorebird

Lesser Yellowlegs –still quite a few records from W Indiana & W Kentucky
lowlands, though they did reach flooded fields near Ft. Wayne IN 3-16

Pectoral Sandpipers – uptick in records from W Indiana & W Kentucky
lowlands; far scarcer further east, though birds did reach near Pymatuning
Reservoir PA 3-16

Least Sandpipers – very scarce, with the only reliable spot being Sloughs
WMA in KY west of Henderson

Glaucous Gulls – few still along Lake Erie shore (Whiskey Island, Lakefront
Reservation marina), but none inland currently

Lesser Black-backed Gulls – still some along Lake Erie shore, but inland
birds persist at Clear Fork Reservoir OH thru 3-21, Chippewa Lake OH thru
3-18, and Lake Wilhelm (N of Mercer) PA thru 3-16. Birds were also at Lost
Creek reservoir (Lima) OH 3-21 and Grand Lake St. Marys OH 3-18. The only
reliable spot further inland has been the Kentucky Lake Dam, with sightings
thru 3-21.

Franklin’s Gulls – the closest ones are along the Mississippi River, and
there are very few there.

Little Gull – several on the Canadian side of Lake Erie, but none on our
side right now.

Caspian Tern – none in our area yet, but 1 very early bird has been
delighting observers in Orland Park, a SW Chicago suburb 3-20 & 21

Red-throated Loon – several records appeared around 3-16&17: Lake Atwood
OH, Delaware Lake OH, Lake Vermilion (near Danville) IL

Ospreys – lots of early arrivals now, mostly in OH and eastern IN

Rough-legged Hawks – pretty much gone except for a few birds lingering in
Kankakee Sands area of NW Indiana

Barn Owl – the Pickerington Ponds (near Columbus OH) bird was still being
seen thru 3-21, while another at Prairie Ridge in central IL was probably a
migrant.

E.Wood Pewee - early birds included singles at Perry County OH 3-16 and
Miller SNP (W of Chillicothe) OH 3-20

Blue-headed Vireo - The early vireo, single birds were at Cumberland Gap
NHP KY 3-16 and Tarr Ridge KY (in the Red River Gorge) 3-17

Loggerhead Shrike – the Coshocton OH stakeout was present thru 3-16, while
another returned to Whitehead IL 3-21, and a third popped up near Effingham
IL 3-16. Another was at Big Rivers WMA (SW of Henderson) KY 3-21

N.Shrike – mostly north of us now, with a few laggards: 1 near Goose Pond
FWA IN 3-18 and at Roush Lake FWA (near Huntington) IN 3-19, and Grand
River WA (N of Warren) OH thru 3-22

Fish Crows – the N. Akron OH flock has continued thru 3-18, while a few
birds have been around Eagle Creek Lake in NW Indianapolis thru 3-21.
Regular now around Evansville and SW Indiana, down to Land Between the
Lakes and Paducah KY, with a few straggling east to Louisville KY 3-20

Ravens – few stragglers now, with birds at Strouds Run Lake (near Athens)
OH 3-21 and just east of Marietta OH 3-19

Barn Swallow – a few scattered early birds, mostly in southern areas:
Slough WMA KY 3-22, Montoux Park (Evansville) IN 3-22, Louisville KY 3-22,
Dream Lake WRA (New Albany) IN 3-18, Rush Creek lake (near Lancaster) OH
3-15.

N.Rough-winged Swallow – a few early records, probably with early migrant
Tree Swallow groups: Eagle Creek Lake (Indianapolis) 3-18 thru 21, Cowan
Lake (near Wilmington) OH 3-16, Lake Linville KY 3-18, Audubon State Park
(Henderson) KY 3-22, Montoux Lake (Evansville) IN 3-21&22

Cliff Swallow – a few early records, at Lake Barkley Dam KY 3-16 and
Carlyle Lake (central) IL 3-19

Purple Martins – lots of reports from southern IN & IL and western KY;
fewer to north and east

House Wrens –lots in Virginia and a few seem to be seeping over, with
records at Kanawha River valley WV and Teays Valley WV, both 3-18

Marsh Wrens – a few strays, with birds at Spring Valley WA (N of
Cincinnati) OH 3-15 and the Wolf Creek fish hatchery (W of Kalamazoo) MI
3-18

Purple Finches – lots of migrant records now; birds at the Cedar Ridge
feeders at Battelle Darby MetroPark (W of Columbus) OH still found thru
3-16, while birds at Eagle Creek Park (Indianapolis) have been around thru
3-20.

Red Crossbill – only a few lingering groups now, with the most noteworthy
in Perry Co (far southern) IN thru 3-16, Green-Sullivan State Forest (W of
Bloomington) IN 3-20, and along the Waterloo St, Forest driving loop (W of
Athens) OH thru 3-17

Pine Siskins – records scattered all over area, suggesting migration is
underway. Listen for them around areas with alders or hemlocks

Evening Grosbeak – still reported around Warren PA at the edge of the
Allegheny Nat’l Forest 3-17.

Savannah Sparrows – many records from KY, IL, and IN, but still scarce in
OH except for southwest

Vesper Sparrow – the first few arrivals, with singles at Land Between the
Lakes KY 3-16, near Sloughs WMA (W of Henderson ) KY 3-17, near Gosport (N
of Bloomington) IN 3-22, and S of the Indianapolis Airport 3-20

Lincoln’s Sparrow – still none in our area, but lots of records from
western Missouri & Kansas now

LeConte’s Sparrows – still being found at Beehunter Marsh in Goose Pond FWA
in W Indiana thru 3-16

Western Meadowlark – the stakeout singing bird near Lyon IN just E of Goose
Pond FWA was still being found thru 3-21. Another was found at Pine Creek
GHA (NW of W.Lafayette) IN 3-16

Brewer’s Blackbirds – All at the western edge of our area, with birds at
Prairie Ridge SNA IL thru 3-16, Taylorville Lake Dam IL 3-21, and Plum
Creek Nature Center (S of Chicago) IL 3-20

Yellow-headed Blackbirds – no recent reports in our area, as big blackbird
flocks break up

Black & White Warbler – an early report of this distinctive warbler was at
Land Between the Lakes NRA KY 3-16

Orange-crowned Warblers – the bird at Walnut Woods (S of Columbus) OH was
relocated thru 3-20, while the 1 in Eagle Slough Preserve along the Ohio
River in Evansville IN was still there through 3-19

Yellow-throated Warbler –one of our expected early warblers, 1 was SW of
Pittsburgh PA 3-20

Palm Warbler – 1 was at Wilderness Rd (S of Wooster) OH 3-16. Another was
at Burdette Park (W of Evansville) IN thru 3-21

Cape May Warbler – the on-again-off-again bird in N. Zanesville OH was on
again 3-17

Black-throated Green Warbler – none in our area yet, but 1 was just south
of us in Franklin TN 3-20

Pine Warblers – many records from southern OH, southern IN, southern IL now

CommonYellowthroat – a bird was at Eagle Slough (Evansville) IN 3-20

Louisiana Waterthrush – early arrivals included birds at Mammoth Cave KY
3-16, Cumberland Gap NHP KY 3-16, Owsley Fork Lake KY 3-16, Slaty Fork
(near Snowshoe) WV 3-16, as well as numerous records from southern IL

Indigo Bunting – very early arrivals included birds in Clermont County OH
3-16 and at Eagle Slough (Evansville) IN 3-17

Back to top
Date: 3/20/24 6:31 pm
From: Sandra Keller <000007a762f332b7-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Ebird - back up
I have been using ebird all afternoon. Looks like most if not all is back up.
Yea! I had a hard time Tuesday. I am just on auto pilot. Hit explore to
Pick out my hotspot. And it didn’t work! Ahhhh…… I had no idea how to
Get to Miami whitewater - Timberlakes trail. But I figured it out. Phew.
I missed ebird!

Good birding all. Oh, I was exploring that area for botany.

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini

Back to top
Date: 3/18/24 2:44 pm
From: Robert Thorn <robthorn6...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] TourDeQuarries,3-16: waterfowl
There are a lot of man-made bodies of water south of Columbus, and I always
tried to make an early Spring visit to check for waterfowl migration
there. Now, the pattern is changing a bit -- before, it was mostly quarry
lakes, both new & old, but now they've been joined by large numbers of
retention ponds. The result is that the old Scioto Bottoms - the area
south of downtown Columbus, extending down to Circleville and beyond -- is
now inadvertently & incrementally being returned to waterfowl habitat.
Here are some of the spots I visited and what was in them.

Heron Pond - an old quarry pond turned fishing pond turned park pond in
3-Creeks Park: 3 Pied-billed Grebes and a few geese & mallards. A
cluster of TVs roosted along the creek nearby.

Obetz Memorial Park - several retention basins, but only a few geese &
mallards

Dixon Quarry Park, Obetz - an old quarry lake turned into a park. No
waterfowl, but plenty of sparrows
Alum Creek Blvd Quarry Lake - nothing but a few geese

Rohr Rd Warehouse Ponds - a collection of 8 ponds scattered among
warehouses between Alum Creek Drive and SR 317, they had loads of geese -
some even appeared to be setting up nesting territories on the roofs of the
warehouses -- but also had mallards, bufflehead, killdeer, and Ring-billed
Gulls

Canal Road - runs along old filled-in canal along NW side of Rickenbacker
Airport, but does have a retention wetland, which had 8 N.Shovelers, a few
mallards, and 1 Green-winged teal

Duvall Ponds - a quartet of borrow pits used for the relatively new
overpass of Duvall Rd over the railroad tracks by the town of Duvall.
They can be easily viewed from the wide shoulder of the overpass, and had
flocks of Ring-necked Ducks & Lesser Scaup, plus a few mallards &
bufflehead.
Kenmore Blvd Ponds - retention ponds around a new warehouse district
northeast of SR 762 and SR104. They just had flocks of Canada Geese and a
few killdeer.

Old Berger Pond - along SR104 just south of the Pickaway County Line, it is
about a block west of 104, and had a handful of Ring-necks & scaup, plus
mallards, geese, and coots

Shadeville Quarry - a huge old quarry lake along SR 317 just east of US23,
it held just a few Canada Geese, plus a large flock of Robins

Hamilton Township Quarry - another huge old quarry just west of the
Hamilton Township Meeting Hall on Lockbourne Rd, it has some geese and a
small flock of N,Shovelers.

Banks Run Quarry Lake - this is an old quarry along Lockbourne Rd just
southeast of the bridge over Big Walnut Creek (and part of a
soon-to-be-unveiled MetroPark). It had only 1 Canada Goose, but also had
an Osprey inspecting an old nest on a powerline pole.

Now that you know about some of them, you can check them out for
yourself. I'd recommend a weekend to minimize truck traffic. Sunday
seems to work best, but some of them might be easily checked on a weekday
as well. Let us know what you find.

Back to top
Date: 3/18/24 1:03 pm
From: Sandra Keller <000007a762f332b7-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Indian creek - brown county - waterfowl
But only one new one for my Brown county list. Ruddy Duck. And just one.
Hmmmm….. i cannot figure out why waterfowl is so difficult in the county!
I headed out there today as I didn’t want to hit botany spots in these frigid
Conditions. I barely managed birding in these conditions…… black Duck,
GW Teal, gadwall, pintail, most other diving ducks, etc. Well, at least one
New bird! I think Brown is going to be my most difficult county to get to
200. For my Sw counties. This was bird number 112. Or thereabouts.
I was going to do passerine birding here, but whimped out - that wind
Was something again today! I don’t like wind…… so I had time. So I hit
Grant lake in brown. No waterfowl. That I never understand. There’s never
Much here. It looks like it should have waterfowl!

Anyway, my numbers from Indian creek - 2 wood Duck, 6 shovelers, 34 ring necked
2 bufflehead, 5 hooded Mergs, 1 ruddy, 2 pied billed grebes, 4 coot.

Ebird notes - don’t forget it will be down starting Tuesday.

Good birding all.

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini

Back to top
Date: 3/18/24 11:17 am
From: <mmvalencic...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] FREE eBird Mobile Presentation for iPhone users
Audubon Society of Greater Cleveland invites you to register for a FREE Zoom
presentation this Thursday, March 21st, at 7:00pm: USING eBIRD MOBILE ON
YOUR iPHONE. Kelly Stanek will walk us through everything from downloading
the app to your phone, to selecting bird packs (birds found in your region
regardless of your internet connection), recording your track (or not!),
starting and completing your checklist, using 'checked view', adding other
birders to your checklist, exploring nearby hotspots, and using My eBird.
YOU NEED TO HAVE AN eBIRD ACCOUNT (USER NAME AND PASSWORD) TO SET UP eBIRD
MOBILE ON YOUR PHONE.

Use this link to register for this program:

You are invited to a Zoom meeting: Using eBird Mobile on your iPhone

When: Mar 21, 2024 07:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

You must register in advance for this meeting:

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZEsde2srDsrGdaVHWuBZ86efKa4kQFiz2e

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information about joining the meeting.

eBird Mobile is also available for android devices, but there are subtle
differences using it compared to iPhones. This presentation just covers
iPhone users.

Thank you,

Matt Valencic

Date: 3/17/24 3:44 pm
From: Sandra Keller <000007a762f332b7-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Hamilton county - Lake Barber and Newtown Gravel - yellowlegs
I had a Greater Yellowlegs at Newtown Gravel. That might be my earliest.
Have to check. It’s not that early though. I went out this late afternoon
To check these 2 spots. Hoping for an early Rough winged Swallow!
They are back in Clinton County. Why would they bypass Hamilton??
Well, they did. I couldn’t find any. Coot and Pied billed grebes still around
Here in numbers. Other waterfowl was just ones and twos. Bufflehead,
Ruddy, etc. 4 Bonapartes gulls were at Newtown Gravel. They are on the
Move.

Foy Osprey was back in Indiana. I was on the ASO trip to Brookville Lake.
I love that spot! We had great numbers of Bald Eagles. More than I recall
For a March visit there.

I heard Osprey was back in Butler county also.

Most stuff was on Newtown Gravel instead of Lake Barber this afternoon.
No idea why the birds move around there.

Good birding all. Here’s hoping these winds die back Monday! I broke out
My winter coat for this afternoons outing! I was ill prepared for the morning…..

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini

Back to top
Date: 3/16/24 7:50 pm
From: Robert Thorn <robthorn6...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] DeerCreekLakeArea,3-16: waterfowl,GrYellowlegs,Ospreys,Phoebes
A trip down to this lake and wetlands along the Pickaway-Fayette border was
like a quick peek into early Spring, with lots of waterfowl and a few other
early migrants to keep the morning varied. I stopped at the west side
mudflats at Pancoastburg first, then worked along the south shore (Miller
picnic area, Georges Run, Beach picnic area) before hitting the Dick Rd
wetlands and the Dam area. Dick Rd and Georges Run were full of
waterfowl, and the latter had a few shorebirds too. Included in the haul
were:

Swans - Dick Rd had a trio of Trumpeters
Dabbling Ducks - Dick Rd had a good mix, with Mallards, Wigeon, Pintail,
both Blue-winged and Green-winged Teal, Gadwall, Woods, and Shovelers.
Georges Run had less diversity, but had a spectacular flock of over 300
Green-winged Teal feeding in the shallows.

DivingDucks - Dicks Rd had Ring-necks & LScaup, while Georges Run pitched
in Buffleheads and all 3 merganser species. Another flock south of the
Beach picnic area had more Ring-necks, Scaup, and 130 Ruddies

Shorebirds - Killdeer were all along the mudflats of the lake, and Georges
Run had 7 Greater Yellowlegs feeding along the water's edge.

Vultures - both Turkey and Black Vultures were around the lake shore at
several spots
Ospreys - 1 bird was checking a nest platform along the road at
Pancoastburg, while another was around the inlet at the Harding Cabin
access.

Woodpeckers - good numbers, present at most stops. Also had a pair of
Pileated nest-digging in an old sycamore along the spillway below the dam

E.Phoebes - they've arrived in bulk, with birds at most stops
Tree Swallows - 3-4 were around the Dick Rd wetlands, but none were around
the lake
BrownCreeper - only 1, in riparian forest below Dam
Kinglets - scarce, with only 1 upstream at Yankeetown Rd bridge access
Towhees - 1-2 birds at most of the more southern stops
Sparrows - lots of Songs, but everything else was scarce or nonexistent.
A few Tree Sparrows were at 2 spots, while Field Sparrows were singing in
the cedar fields around the Beach picnic area

Back to top
Date: 3/15/24 7:31 pm
From: Robert Thorn <robthorn6...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Inland Rare Birds, Mar 10-15
Geese & Swans are mostly north of us, with some stragglers to keep our
curiosity up, while diving ducks are surging through now. The first bolus
of migrant shorebirds should make us check our favorite wetlands soon. Lots
of reports of E.Phoebes, Tree Swallows, and even some Purple Martins in the
region now. North-interior winter migrants still dominant, with lots of
reports of Kinglets, Catbirds, Brown Thrashers, and various sparrows. A few
lingering Red Crossbills, Purple Finches, and Pine Siskins spice up this
early migration.

Snow Goose – still a few in IL and western IN, but the big flocks are north
& further west of us now.

Ross’s Geese – scattered remnants. The bird at College Dr fields in
Kettering OH was still there thru 3-12; the 1 near Kingston OH (S of
Columbus) was thru 3-12, while another was at the Lexington KY reservoir
3-11

Cackling Geese – still occasionals with Canadas, with 1 lingering at Acton
Lake (Hueston Woods St.Park, N of Cincinnati) thru 3-12, and another at
Clinton-ComoPark in Columbus OH 3-12. Quite a few reports coming out of
southern MI, suggesting they’re moving out.

GreaterWhite-frontedGeese – still some flocks in IL and NW IN, especially
around the Kankakee area. 2 strayed to the Delaware Wildlife Area north of
Delaware OH 3-12 & 13, while 10 were at Johnson Retention Pond S of
Indianapolis 3-10, and 3 were at Stillwater Marsh east of Bloomington IN
thru 3-13

Eurasian Wigeon – the bird at Killbuck Marsh (near Wooster) OH was still
being found thru 3-12, while another has graced Point Pleasant Wetlands
near Champaign IL 3-11 & 12. 2 more in western PA complete the set, and
hint that they migrate with the bulk of dabbling ducks

Long-tailed Ducks – essentially gone from our area; your best bet nearby is
the southern Lake Michigan shoreline from Indiana Dunes north into MN

Harlequin Duck – gone from our area, but 1 lingered around Avon Lake
veterans park on Lake Erie thru 3-11

White-winged Scoters – essentially the same pattern as Long-tailed Duck,
though 1 was off East Harbor St.Park OH on Lake Erie 3-10

Surf Scoter – essentially the same pattern as Long-tailed Duck, though a
stray flock was off Presque Isle St. Park in PA 3-13

Black Scoter – a last cluster of observations off Indiana Dunes St. Park
3-11 thru 13

Eared Grebe – the bird around Nimisila Reservoir (near Akron) OH was still
being found thru 3-12. The only other nearby has been 1 off Montrose harbor
in N.Chicago thru 3-12

Red-necked Grebes – a smattering of late strays, including birds at Geist
Reservoir (near Indianapolis) 3-10, Lake Wawasee (near Goshen) IN 3-09,
Lake Chapin (SW MI) 3-10, and Cleveland Lakefront Nature Preserve 3-12

White Pelicans – lots of singles and small groups throughout the area, but
only the western Basin of Lake Erie seems to have many sizeable flocks now.

Neotropical Cormorant – the bird at the McKinley quarry rookery in Columbus
OH was still there thru 3-13, while another showed up at Nimisila Reservoir
near Akron OH 3-11 & 12

Virginia Rail – migration clearly underway, with an uptick in sightings all
across region. Listen for them in any sizeable marsh now.

Solitary Sandpiper – an early 1 dropped into Caesar Creek St. Park NE of
Cincinnati 3-11

Lesser Yellowlegs – multiple sightings in Indiana, Illinois, & W Kentucky,
but Ohio (& E Kentucky) had few: Big Island WA (near Marion) OH 3-11, and
Caesar Creek St.Park 3-12

Pectoral Sandpipers – similar to L.Yellowlegs, with quite a few sightings
west of Ohio, but few in that state: Big Island WA 3-13, Shreve Fish Pond
(S of Wooster) OH 3-13, and a flock of 40 at Wilderness Rd wetland (SW of
Wooster) OH 3-13

Least Sandpipers – a few early ones, including at Soughs WMA ( near
Henderson) KY 3-12 and a western inlet of Kentucky Lake 3-10 & 15, near
Goose Pond WMA IN 3-12, and even up at Erie marsh Preserve (S of Monroe MN)
3-13.

Glaucous Gulls – few along Lake Erie shore (Lorain Impoundment, Lake Erie
Bluffs MetroPark), but none inland currently

Lesser Black-backed Gulls – few away from the Great lakes, but still birds
at Kentucky Lake thru 3-15 and Clear Fork Reservoir (north-central) OH
3-14, and Findlay Reservoirs OH 3-14

Iceland Gulls – still a few around Lakes Michigan and Erie, but none
currently inland

Franklin’s Gulls – a few early birds west of the Mississippi River, but
nothing in our neck of the woods yet.

Ospreys – more early arrivals now, but the big wave of them is still down
in Tennessee and points south

Rough-legged Hawks – very scarce now in OH and east IN, but still a few in
prairie areas of west IN (Kankakee Sands thru 3-15, Goose Pond FWA thru
3-15) and east IL (Prairie Ridge SNA, thru 3-12)

Barn Owl – the Pickerington Ponds (near Columbus OH) bird was still being
seen thru 3-12, while Goose Pond FWA in west IN had 1 3-09 thru 3-11

Loggerhead Shrikes – an early 1 was staked-out at a Coshocton OH farm 3-10
thru 3-13, while another was at a farm far east of Lexington KY 3-13.
Further west, 1 was at the edge of the Shawnee Nat’l Forest near Marion IL
3-09

N.Shrike – still a few laggards, including a bird at the Killbuck WA (near
Wooster) OH 3-11 & 13, Killdeer Plains WA (near Upper Sandusky) OH thru
3-11, 1 at Eagle Marsh (near Ft. Wayne) IN thru 3-13, and 1 at Black Walnut
Cr Preserve (far S of Chicago) IL thru 3-12

Fish Crows – the N. Akron OH flock has continued thru 3-14, while a small
flock has been around Eagle Creek lake in NW Indianapolis 3-09 thru 14.
Lots of sightings now around Evansville and SW Indiana, down to Land
Between the Lakes and Paducah KY.

Ravens – stragglers still mostly in southern & eastern OH: west of
Portsmouth OH 3-12, near Athens OH 3-11, along the Waterloo St,Forest
driving loop (W of Athens) 3-11, and near Cadiz OH 3-13

Barn Swallow – still hardly any, with 1 reported along the White River S of
Indianapolis 3-13

N.Rough-winged Swallow – none in our area yet, but multiple reports from
Tennessee, so they’re coming.

Purple Martins – lots of reports from southern IN and western KY, but only
a few to north and east. 2 were east of Johnstown OH 3-12, while another
had reached Holmes Co OH 3-13. 3 had reached Rome City Wetlands in northern
IN 3-13.

House Wrens – no recent arrivals in our area, but one was at the
Appalachian edge in Clearfield PA 3-11

Marsh Wrens – none inland currently, but reliable reports from Lake Erie at
Lorain Impoundment 3-13, and at Pipe Creek WA in Sandusky OH thru 3-15

Townsend’s Solitaire – none in our area, but one has been on Pt.Pelee in
Ontario from 3-13 thru 15

Gray Catbirds – many records in OH, IN, and PA suggesting the early wave is
still ongoing.

Brown Thrashers – still lots of records from southern IL,IN & OH, with
steady appearance in central areas: Prairie Creek Res (near Muncie) IN 3-12
& 14, Eagle Creek Park (Indianapolis) 3-15, Cope Env.Center (near Richmond)
IN 3-14, Germantown MetroPark (SW of Dayton) OH 3-15, Marysville Upground
Reservoir OH 3-15, Highbanks MetroPark (N of Columbus) OH 3-14, and Blendon
Woods MetroPark (Columbus) 3-14

Purple Finches – still many records in OH, PA & IN; birds at the Cedar
Ridge feeders at Battelle Darby MetroPark (W of Columbus) OH still fairly
reliable thru 3-11, while birds at Eagle Creek Park (Indianapolis) have
been around thru 3-14. They seem to prefer feeders around isolated woodland
patches.

Red Crossbill – only a few lingering groups now, with the most noteworthy
in Perry Co (far southern) IN thru 3-11, and along the Waterloo St, Forest
driving loop (W of Athens) OH thru 3-10

Pine Siskins – still lots of records north and east of Pittsburgh, up to
Butler PA and Meadville PA, but now records spread to northern OH & IN, and
even south to forest areas like the Hocking Hills (SE of Lancaster) OH,
Bloomington IN, and the east Shawnee Nat’l Forest of south IL.

Evening Grosbeak – still reported around Warren PA at the edge of the
Allegheny Nat’l Forest 3-12.

Savannah Sparrows – a lot more records from KY, IL, and IN, but little in
OH save for a few strays to Lake Erie and the SW counties of Clinton (3-13
& 15), Greene (3-15) and Montgomery (3-14)

Lincoln’s Sparrow – still none in our area, but 1 was at the Chicago
lakefront parks 3-12

LeConte’s Sparrows – still fairly reliable at Beehunter Marsh in Goose Pond
FWA in W Indiana thru 3-14

Vesper Sparrow – an early bird near Sheridan (N of Indianapolis) IN
3-14&15; another was near Somerset PA (SE of Pittsburgh) 3-12. Quite a few
records down in Tennessee & N. Carolina.

Harris’s Sparrow – a stakeout bird near Hickman (far west) KY was being
found thru 3-09; another has been west of us, at the Missouri-Mississippi
confluence north of St. Louis thru 3-14

Western Meadowlark – the stakeout singing bird near Lyon IN just E of Goose
Pond FWA was still being found thru 3-15. Another 2 have been at Prairie
Ridge SNA in central IL thru 3-11

Brewer’s Blackbirds – no reliable spot for these guys, with old spots
fading and new ones appearing. Currently birds at Newton Lake (E-central)
IL 3-12, Carlyle Lake (S-central) IL 3-09&11, and Willowhaven nature Center
(near Kankakee) IL 3-13

Yellow-headed Blackbirds – the only close ones are 2 in different spots
south of Chicago, thru 3-11

Great-tailed Grackle – the Monee IL bird continues to be seen, thru 3-10 &
12

Orange-crowned Warblers – The bird in Eagle Slough Preserve along the Ohio
River in Evansville IN was still there through 3-13, while another was
further upstream at Charleston St. Park IN (across from Louisville KY) 3-14.

Yellow-throated Warbler – often an earlier arrival here, none right now.
The closest ones are in central Virginia

Palm Warbler – none in our area recently, but birds just outside it at
Lincoln Marsh NA (W of Chicago) 3-11 and at Sevier Lake (Nashville) TN 3-10

Pine Warblers – many records from southern OH, southern IN, southern IL now

CommonYellowthroats – none reported in our area the past week, but
incredibly, 2 different birds are in Ontario, along the N shore of Lake
Ontario.

Louisiana Waterthrush – none in our area yet, but 1 was just outside, in
far SW Illinois at Wolf Lake 3-13

Dickcissel – none in our area, but a handful of recent records – New
Jersey, Massachusetts (3), and Alabama – suggest keeping an eye out for
early strays of this species

Back to top
Date: 3/14/24 4:37 pm
From: JoDee Russo <jodee114...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Checking in
Hi, Hope you are well.
Sorry to bother you, do you have a free moment over email?

Thanks and blessings,JoDee

Back to top
Date: 3/13/24 12:46 pm
From: Sandra Keller <000007a762f332b7-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Shor park - Clermont - exploring
I was hoping for a Pine Warbler! No success….. I need Pine Warbler for
Clermont. Someday…. Very birdy even in the afternoon. Bluebirds
Have started singing. I had a nice view of a swamp sparrow. Plus the usual.
More Goldfinches than I have had in awhile…. Stuff is moving! But I
Really wanted a Pine Warbler.

I hit a couple pine areas at Rowe Woods next. Nuttin. Or no Pines.

A very pleasant afternoon to be out exploring!

No dragonflies yet for me. I don't know my timing for odes in Ohio.

Butterfly notes - spring azures into the mix of Sulphurs and whites.

Good birding all.

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini

Back to top
Date: 3/12/24 9:12 am
From: Sandra Keller <000007a762f332b7-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Butler and Hamilton counties - birds on the move!
I went chasing the White Pelican Marianne found at Marsh Lake - Butler this
Morning. I pull up and sigh…. Nothing big and white. Oh well, birds fly! But
No - another birder kindly waited for me to get my gear and walk to the
Boat ramp - “it’s in the cove - hidden from view.” We waited. It floated back
Out. Phew. County bird! Seen for one minute in the 30 I was there……

Watching my backyard as I ate lunch - Brown creeper and Towhee! Those
Are yard birds! Stuff is moving! Back to painting I go……

Good birding all.

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini

Back to top
Date: 3/11/24 1:26 pm
From: Sandra Keller <000007a762f332b7-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Lake barber - Hamilton county
FOY Phoebe, plus loads of YR Warblers and 1 each of both Kinglets.
Stuff is moving. Waterfowl diversity is still ok. Both Scaup - more Greaters
Here today than previously. For me. RB Merg drake. Bufflehead and Ruddy Ducks.
1 Canvasback lingering. Etc.

Andrew and I enjoyed this sunny afternoon there. Keeping my fingers crossed
Crossed maybe I can manage a 1/2 day somewhere tomorrow!

Good birding all.

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini

Back to top
Date: 3/8/24 8:16 pm
From: Robert Thorn <robthorn6...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Inland Rare Birds, 3-02 thru 08
Waterfowl migration is going full throttle now, and may even be ebbing in
Kentucky & southern Ohio. The unsettled weather has slowed landbird
migrants, so that few Gulf Coast migrants have made it aside from
E.Phoebes, Tree Swallows & Purple Martins. Plenty of north-interior winter
migrants pushing through, though, with lots of reports of Kinglets,
Catbirds, Brown Thrashers, and various sparrows. Also keep an eye out for
strays, if records of Neotropical Cormorants, W. Meadowlark, and Brewer’s
Blackbirds are any indicator.

Snow Goose – mostly out of area by now, with some flocks persisting in
western IN & western KY

Ross’s Geese – scattered remnants. Singles at College Dr fields in
Kettering OH 3-03; near Kingston OH (S of Columbus) 3-07, and near New
Bethlehem (NE of Pittsburgh) PA 3-03

Cackling Geese – still a few lurking with Canadas, with 1 at Muhlenberg Co
Rail Trail KY 3-30, and 2 at Watkins Lake (SE of Jackson) MI 3-04&05

GreaterWhite-frontedGeese – still small flocks in W Indiana and E Illinois.
Goose Pond FWA in the former still had 150 on 3-04

Blue-winged Teal – multiple records as they start to arrive.

Eurasian Wigeon – the bird at Killbuck Marsh (near Wooster) OH was last
seen 3-05

Long-tailed Ducks – rare stragglers now, with birds at Gibson Lake
(western) IN 3-06, 2 @Portage Lake (near Jackson) MI 3-07 & 08, and further
west at Rend Lake IL 3-02&03

White-winged Scoters – mostly gone, except for 2 at Gull Lake NE of
Kalamazoo MI 3-07

Horned Grebe – widespread, as their migration starts to roll through.

Eared Grebe – 1 has been around Nimisila Reservoir (near Akron) OH thru 3-07

Red-necked Grebes – gone from our area, but still 2-3 on Lake Michigan at
Sleeping Bear Dunes in w. MI

White Pelicans – flocks still around western OH and northern IL & IN. 1
strayed to Deer Creek lake (central OH) 3-04&05

Neotropical Cormorant – 1 returned to the McKinley quarry rookery in
Columbus OH 3-04 thru 08, while another was west of our area at Horseshoe
Lake St.Park near E.St,Louis 3-05

Lesser Black-backed Gulls – lots of single stragglers, with birds at
Chippewa lake (near Medina) OH 3-07, Guilford Lake (eastern) OH 3-08, Lake
Wilhelm (NE of Butler) PA 3-08; Summit lake (S of Muncie) IN 3-02, and at
Gull Lake (NE of Kalamazoo) MI 3-07

Ospreys – still a sprinkling of early arrivals, with birds at Englewood
MetroPark (NW Dayton) OH 3-03, Little Hocking River (SE OH) 3-06, and 3 at
Kentucky Lake Dam in western KY 3-02

Rough-legged Hawks – mostly gone from our area, with lingerers at
ReCreation Lands (east of The Wilds) OH 3-04, Perry County Reclamation area
3-02, near Circleville OH 3-05, Kildeer Plains OH 3-03, and Lake Loramie
St.Park OH 3-03. Indiana still has quite a few records in the prairie NW,
mostly at Kankakee.

Barn Owl – the Pickerington Ponds (near Columbus OH) bird was still being
seen thru 3-08

Snowy Owl – always a treat, late birds include a stakeout at Willow Run
Airport W of Detroit MI thru 3-05 and a bird at the north end of Lake St.
Clair MI thru 3-06

E. Phoebe – lots of reports of this tough little insectivore as the weather
warmed

N.Shrike – a few laggards, including a bird at the Jaite Mill area of
Cuyahoga Nat’l Park (N of Akron) OH thru 3-04 and 1 at Eagle Marsh (near
Ft. Wayne) IN 3-05 thru 08

Fish Crows – the N. Akron OH flock has continued thru 3-08, while more
records have shown up in southern IL, even straying up to Champaign IL 3-02

Ravens – strays still mostly in southern OH: 3 at Whipple 3-03, 1 in Vinton
County 3-03&04, and along the Waterloo St,Forest driving loop (W of Athens)
3-03

Tree Swallows – flood of records now, almost all from wetlands.

Barn Swallow – 1 early arrival at Goose Pond FWA in western IN 3-02

Purple Martins – early birds in southern Ohio River Valley, at Lake Mermet
IL 3-02, Carlyle lake IL 3-02 & 03, and near Evansville IN 3-08

House Wrens – a few more early arrivals, at West Jefferson OH 3-04 and up
at South Haven MI 3-04

Gray Catbirds – many records in OH, KY, & PA, including several reports of
2 and 3, suggesting an actual early migration of some birds

Brown Thrashers – lots of records from southern OH & IN, with a few
straying into northern OH

Purple Finches – still many records in OH, PA & IN; birds at the Cedar
Ridge feeders at Battelle Darby MetroPark (W of Columbus) OH still fairly
reliable thru 3-06

Red Crossbill – most records are north of us now (northern IL, southern
MI), though a few linger in Perry Co (far southern) IN thru 3-04, in far S
Illinois (Golconda 3-04 and Metropolis 3-03&04), and along the Waterloo St,
Forest driving loop (W of Athens) OH thru 3-07

Pine Siskins – still lots of records east of Pittsburgh, but some scattered
over OH, with much fewer in IN & IL, except for forested areas of far
southern IL and western KY

Evening Grosbeak, definitely a low number year for our area, but a few have
been reported recently from the Allegheny national Forest area of NW PA.

Tree Sparrows – still some small laggard groups all across our area, but
not for long.

Savannah Sparrows – quite a few records from KY and southern IN, IL, but
little in OH or northern IN

Lincoln’s Sparrow – none in our area, but keep an eye out for early ones
over next week or two

LeConte’s Sparrows – sporadically at Goose Pond FWA in SW Indiana thru 3-02

Harris’s Sparrow – a stakeout bird near Hickman (far west) KY was being
found thru 3-05

Western Meadowlark – the stakeout singing bird near Lyon IN just E of Goose
Pond FWA was still being found thru 3-07, while another stakeout SE of
Hickman KY had 2-4 birds thru 3-07.

Brewer’s Blackbirds – records from western IN included birds south of
Vincennes 3-02, up at Kankakee State FWA 3-02, near Sanborn (W of
Bloomington) 3-03, and down at Cane Ridge WMA 3-03. Central IL had 1 at
Prairie Ridge SNA 3-03 & 06. Kentucky had 2 at Fulton (far west) 3-02, and
3 from W of Fort Knox at 3-03.

Orange-crowned Warblers – the bird at Walnut Woods (S of Columbus OH) was
still visiting its favorite suet feeder thru 3-03. Another bird was at the
Gr.Miami River Reclamation Bank near Dayton OH 3-03 . The bird in Eagle
Slough Preserve along the Ohio River in Evansville IN was still there
through 3-04.

Palm Warbler – the elusive bird at Killbuck Marsh (near Wooster) OH popped
up 3-02

Pine Warblers – lots of records from southern OH, southern IN, southern IL
now

CommonYellowthroats – 1 was at Killbuck Marsh OH 3-03

Western Tanager – the stakeout bird at the feeder on Newark OH kept making
curtain calls through 3-04, 05

Back to top
Date: 3/8/24 1:50 pm
From: Peggy Wang <00000454f4164bea-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Friday AM: FOS E Phoebe, Denison
Denison was overall v quiet this morning but just as I was leaving, I heard an E Phoebe call a few times possibly from across the street from the Reserve but not too far. I couldn't spot it but it was good to hear.
Also saw my first Wood Ducks for the Reserve this spring & 2 pairs of mallards were on one of the ponds.

Still haven't seen any Tree Swallows. More Field Sparrows around as well as Song & a few White-throateds. A few towhees. Bluebirds were at the Swallow field seeming to be impatient for the nest boxes to be put up. One box was left up over the winter--I'm hoping the others will be put up soon.
Yesterday, I saw 11 Black Vultures seeming to be getting off their roost near Denison U.
Peggy WangGranville

Back to top
Date: 3/7/24 8:19 am
From: Sandra Keller <000007a762f332b7-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] ebird outage - mid March
I thought I would post this now. Get people ready…… I will keep my lists in the app, then upload when everything
ready.

https://ebird.org/news/server-migration-2024 <https://ebird.org/news/server-migration-2024>

Sandra Keller
<sandrakeller...> <mailto:<sandrakeller...>

Sent from my Imac

Back to top
Date: 3/6/24 3:09 pm
From: Sandra Keller <000007a762f332b7-dmarc-request...>
Three Greater Scaup. They were off to one side of the Scaup flock. That
Is somewhat of the norm. Birds of a feather and all. 28 lesser Scaup. One
Canvasback lingering. 31 Tree Swallows! They were swooping down to get
Insects close to the surface. Or on the surface. Lake Barber is 15 minutes or
So from my house, so I am hitting a lot. Hoping for the more unusual diving
Ducks - which I still need for Hamilton. Nothing yet! Flickers are singing.
The usual.

Nature notes - botany is starting. I need to find time in between my chores
To hit a couple spots. I do have a guest bedroom that I am in the process of
Painting. It will get there!

Good birding all.

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini

Back to top
Date: 3/5/24 3:58 pm
From: WANG PEGGY <00000454f4164bea-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Denison FOY Field Sparrow
My FOY Field Sparrow was perched & singing this morning. Also saw a Hermit Thrush, not sure if a wintering one or a migrant. Couple Yellow-rumped Warblers.

Other sparrows just Song and a few White-throated. Towhees easy to find. one Cooper’s Hawk. Pileated WP. Lots of frogs incl spring peepers calling. Also saw my FOY Mourning Cloak butterfly.

A group of Black Vultures were soaring near my house when I returned.

Peggy Wang
Granville
Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 3/5/24 3:31 pm
From: Douglas Vogus <vogeye...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Cuyahoga Valley Towpath Trail Census
MARCH 04, 2024 - CUYAHOGA VALLEY MONTHLY TOWPATH TRAIL CENSUS.
ROUTE: Merriman Valley north to Red Lock (reverse of usual route), with a
stop at the Peninsula Coffee Co.
TIME: 6:55am - 4:50pm TIME AFIELD: 9:55 TEMP.: 43F ~ 72F ~ 70F
COND.: Cool and partly cloudy early, warming throughout the day and turning
sunny and unseasonably warm.
TRAIL COND.: Good, with the usual winter ruts and wet low areas.
RIVER COND.: Normal.
FT. MI.: 13.85 OBS.: John Henry and Douglas W. Vogus.

I. MAMMALS: 8 SPECIES, 35 TOTAL. (Recorded since 01/01/2010)

1. Virginia Opossum - 1 (First March Record on Census & Tied Census
High from 02/2010, 02/2011, 04/2015, 09/2017, 08/2019 & 01/2023)
2. Eastern Cottontail - 1 (First March Record on Census)
3. Eastern Chipmunk - 6
4. Eastern Gray Squirrel - 3 (2 black morph)
5. Eastern Fox Squirrel - 4
6. Red Squirrel - 18
7. Meadow Vole - 1 (Second March Record on Census)
8. Common Raccoon - 1 (Fifth March Record on Census)

II. BIRDS: 52 SPECIES, 1 HYBRID, 946 TOTAL. (Recorded since 01/01/2010)
(NOTE: m = male; f = female; ? = bird was seen but not sexed; * = bird was
heard calling but not sexed)

1. Canada Goose - 107
2. Trumpeter Swan - 4 (Second March Record on Census & New Census High
- previous was 2 on 04/2016, 03/2022, 09/2023 & 12/2023)
3. Wood Duck - 8 (5m,3f)
4. American Black Duck - 14 (9m,5f)
5. Mallard - 37 (24m,13f)
6. Common Merganser - 6 (1m,5f)
7. Rock Pigeon - 6
8. Mourning Dove - 35
9. Killdeer - 6
10. American Woodcock - 1 (Second March Record on Census)
11. Ring-billed Gull - 3
12. Herring Gull - 1
13. Great Blue Heron - 7
14. Turkey Vulture - 5
15. Bald Eagle - 1 (adult)
16. Red-shouldered Hawk - 6 (New Census High - previous was 4 on
11/2012, 01/2014, 04/2015 & 02/2024)
17. Red-tailed Hawk - 12 (1 immature)
18. Belted Kingfisher - 3 (*)
19. Red-bellied Woodpecker - 19 (5m,4f,4?,6*)
20. Downy Woodpecker - 13 (3m,4f,1?,5*)
21. Hairy Woodpecker - 1 (?)
22. Northern Flicker - 5 (1m,1f,1?,2*)
23. Pileated Woodpecker - 3 (1m,2*)
24. Peregrine Falcon - 2 (1m,1f)
25. Eastern Phoebe - 1 (calling at Yellow Creek - First March Record on
Census)
26. Blue Jay - 19
27. American Crow - 75
28. Fish Crow - 9 (one flock headed southeast out of Deep Lock area -
Third Record on Census, Second March Record on Census & New Census High -
previous was 2 on 03/2022)
29. Black-capped Chickadee - 29
30. Tufted Titmouse - 20
31. Horned Lark - 1 (solo fly-over north of Boston - Third March Record
on Census)
32. White-breasted Nuthatch - 19 (6m,2f,3?,8*)
33. Brown Creeper - 1 (singing up ravine south of Lock 31 - a.k.a.
"Lonesome Lock")
34. Carolina Wren - 35 (New Census High - previous was 27 on 11/2019)
35. Winter Wren - 1 (singing just south of Peninsula and Rt. 303 bridge)
36. European Starling - 48
37. Eastern Bluebird - 4 (1m,2f,1*)
38. American Robin - 76
39. House Sparrow - 10
40. House Finch - 13 (4m,4f,4?,1*)
41. American Goldfinch - 9
42. American Tree Sparrow - 7
43. Dark-eyed Junco - 4 (2m,2f)
44. White-throated Sparrow - 21
45. Song Sparrow - 57
46. Swamp Sparrow - 1
47. Eastern Towhee - 1 (m)
48. Red-winged Blackbird - 40 (39m,1f)
49. Brown-headed Cowbird - 11 (8m,3f)
50. Rusty Blackbird - 33 (27m,6f)
51. Common Grackle - 48
52. Northern Cardinal - 43 (30m,8f,5*)

H. American Black Duck X Mallard - 1 (m) (Second March Record on Census &
Tied Census High from 17 other occasions)
??. Unidentified Passerines - 4

III. REPTILES: 3 SPECIES, 565 TOTAL. (Recorded since 01/01/2010)

1. Common Snapping Turtle - 3 (First March Record on Census)
2. Red-eared Turtle - 15 (First March Record on Census & Tied Census
High from 05/2018)
3. Midland Painted Turtle - 547 (Third March Record on Census)

IV. AMPHIBIANS: 4 SPECIES, 314 TOTAL. (Recorded since 01/01/2010)

1. Northern Spring Peeper - 12 (heard) (Third March Record on Census)
2. Western Chorus Frog - 1 (heard) (Second March Record on Census)
3. Green Frog - 1 (Second March Record on Census)
4. Wood Frog - 300 (both seen and heard and an estimate - every small
pool seemed to be thriving with calling and/or mating frogs - Second March
Record on Census)

V. FISHES: 2 SPECIES, 36 TOTAL.

1. Central Mudminnow - 4 (Fifth March Record on Census)
2. Bluntnose Minnow - 32 (First March Record on Census)

Compiler: Douglas W. Vogus, Akron, Ohio.

Back to top
Date: 3/5/24 2:45 pm
From: Douglas Vogus <vogeye...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Ottawa NWR Monthly Census
MARCH 03, 2024 - OTTAWA NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE MONTHLY CENSUS.
ROUTES: East Side, West Side, and Western Prairies in the morning; Auto
Tour in the afternoon.
OBS. EAST: Jim Koppin, Jim Reyda, Al & Betty Schlecht. OBS. WEST: Susan
Brauning, Katie
Clink, Donna Kuhn, David & Kim Myles, James O'Brien, Chris Pierce, Tracy
Wiczer.
OBS. WESTERN PRAIRIES: Douglas W. Vogus.
OBS. AUTO TOUR: Bob Bartolotta, Claire Johnson, Jim Koppin, Jim Reyda,
Douglas W. Vogus.
TIME: 7:30am - 12:20pm; 1:20pm - 4:30pm TEMP.: 41F ~ 61F ~ 59F
COND.: Cloudy early and unseasonably pleasant; entire cloud shelf was blown
north around
9:00am from south winds resulting in blue skies and breezy; mostly sunny in
the afternoon;
no snow cover and all water open; Lake Erie calm in the morning, but choppy
in the afternoon
as winds shifted to N/NE.

I. MAMMALS: 6 SPECIES, 34 TOTAL. (Recorded since 04/07/2002)

1. Eastern Cottontail - 7
2. Woodchuck - 1 (Fifth March Record on Census)
3. Eastern Fox Squirrel - 19
4. American Beaver - 1 (Third March Record on Census & Tied Census High
from 15 other occasions)
5. Common Muskrat - 4
6. White-tailed Deer - 2

II. BIRDS: 65 SPECIES, 9,905 TOTAL. (Recorded since 03/02/1969)

1. Canada Goose - 602
2. Trumpeter Swan - 512 (New Census High - previous was 408 on 01/2020)
3. Tundra Swan - 1,284
4. Wood Duck - 6
5. Northern Shoveler - 68
6. Gadwall - 519
7. American Wigeon - 18
8. American Black Duck - 5
9. Mallard - 311
10. Northern Pintail - 206
11. Green-winged Teal - 51
12. Ring-necked Duck - 211
13. Lesser Scaup - 325
14. Bufflehead - 42
15. Common Goldeneye - 6
16. Hooded Merganser - 14
17. Common Merganser - 325
18. Red-breasted Merganser - 3
19. Ruddy Duck - 6
20. Ring-necked Pheasant - 1 (calling at Grimm Prairie)
21. Mourning Dove - 28
22. Sandhill Crane - 38
23. Killdeer - 46
24. American Woodcock - 3
25. Ring-billed Gull - 1,048
26. Herring Gull - 24
27. American White Pelican - 49 (one late afternoon flock headed east
above Krause Rd./Stange Rd. intersection - First March Record on Census)
28. Great Blue Heron - 24
29. Northern Harrier - 7
30. Cooper's Hawk - 2
31. Bald Eagle - 30 (20 adult,10 immature)
32. Red-tailed Hawk - 5
33. Eastern Screech-Owl - 1 (gray morph)
34. Great Horned Owl - 2
35. Belted Kingfisher - 1
36. Red-headed Woodpecker - 3
37. Red-bellied Woodpecker - 5
38. Downy Woodpecker - 16
39. Northern Flicker - 7
40. Pileated Woodpecker - 1 (east end of South Woods - Second March
Record on Census & Tied Census High from 10 other occasions)
41. American Kestrel - 4
42. Northern Shrike - 1
43. Blue Jay - 33
44. American Crow - 26
45. Black-capped Chickadee - 1
46. Tufted Titmouse - 5
47. Horned Lark - 5
48. White-breasted Nuthatch - 4
49. Carolina Wren - 5
50. European Starling - 169
51. Hermit Thrush - 1 (First March Record on Census)
52. American Robin - 69
53. House Sparrow - 23
54. House Finch - 10
55. American Goldfinch - 20
56. Fox Sparrow - 2
57. American Tree Sparrow - 129
58. Dark-eyed Junco - 3
59. White-throated Sparrow - 1
60. Song Sparrow - 54
61. Eastern Meadowlark - 2
62. Red-winged Blackbird - 2,841
63. Rusty Blackbird - 60
64. Common Grackle - 524
65. Northern Cardinal - 37

??. Unidentified Swan Species - 7
??. Unidentified Duck Species - 14

III. REPTILES: 4 SPECIES, 7 TOTAL. (Recorded since 04/07/2002)

1. Map Turtle - 1 (First March Record on Census)
2. Midland Painted Turtle - 4 (First March Record on Census)
3. Blanding's Turtle - 1 (First March Record on Census)
4. Eastern Garter Snake - 1 (black morph) (First March Record on Census)

IV. AMPHIBIANS: 1 SPECIES, 1 TOTAL. (Recorded since 04/07/2002)

1. Northern Leopard Frog - 1 (Second March Record on Census)

Date: 3/4/24 12:56 pm
From: Robt McNulty <0000066f33ed1548-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: [Ohio-birds] OHIO-BIRDS Digest - 29 Feb 2024 to 1 Mar 2024 (#2024-55)

On Sunday, March 3, 2024 at 09:56:37 AM EST, Judy Lundquist <jlq.sci...> wrote:

Hi Robert

Your list is really interesting, I am still enjoying it. I saw a Blue-winged Teal at Muscatatuck in Indiana yesterday, and sure enough, they appear on your list. Do you glean your information from ebird?

Judy Lundquist

Date:    Fri, 1 Mar 2024 22:50:46 -0500
From:    Robert Thorn <robthorn6...>
Subject: Inland Rare Birds, Feb 25 - Mar 1

Northern Temperate migrants are pushing through now, so expect more
waterfowl, raptors, sparrows, towhees, blackbirds. The first Gulf Coast
migrants – Blue-winged Teal,Tree Swallows,E.Phoebes – are starting to
appear in numbers as well. The cold snap seems to have paused landbird
migrants, but as we warm back up, they’ll be back. Now is also the time to
start watching for migrant strays, as recent Eurasian Wigeon & Western
Meadowlark records imply.

Snow Goose – few strays in eastern half of area, while west has flocks,
like the 3000 at Goose Pond FWA in IN 2-26

Ross’s Geese – scattered remnants. 1 was at Acton lake N of Cincinnati
2-28, while another was at Jacobson Park in SE Lexington KY 2-24

GreaterWhite-frontedGeese – still small flocks in SW Indiana and western
Kentucky. 5 strayed to Killdeer Plains in N central OH 2-29, while 1 was in
a pond W of Pittsburgh PA Airport 3-01

Tundra Swans – mostly through, with laggard groups at Killbuck Marsh OH
2-28 thru 3-01, Big Island WA (near Marion) OH 2-29, Killdeer Plains WA OH
2-29, Funk Bottoms WA (near Wooster) OH 3-01, Slough WMA in west KY 2-26,
and Lake Shelbyville in east IL 2-25

Blue-winged Teal – possibly the migrant vanguard, with birds at Clear Fork
Res OH 2-28, and Fairbanks Park in Indianapolis IN 2-28. 1 has been at Wolf
Lake fish hatchery (W of Kalamazoo) MN thru 2-29.

Eurasian Wigeon – several, with birds at Killbuck Marsh (near Wooster) OH
2-27&28, Killdeer Plains (near Upper Sandusky) OH 2-25&26, Marysville
Reservoir OH 2-28

White-winged Scoter – none really in our areas, but 2 at Gull Lake NE of
Kalamazoo MN 2-25

Black Scoter – a blip of migrants, with 3 at Deer Creek SP beach (near
Washington Court House) OH 2-24 and East Rd in McLean Co IL 2-24 & 25

Horned Grebe – widespread, with individuals at many locations as their
migration starts to gear up.

Eared Grebe – none in our area, but a celebrity bird at Lincoln Park in
Chicago 2-25 thru 29

White Pelicans – flocks around western OH and northern IN now

Neotropical Cormorant – 1 found in Rookery Run Preserve far south of
Chicago IL 2-25 thru 27

Least Sandpipers – at Gilmore MetroPark (N of Cincinnati) OH 2-26, 3-01,
and in NW IN near San Pierre 2-29

Glaucous Gulls – better hurry to get these big white wonders. 1 was E of
Paducah KY 3-01, while another was at Walled Lake (W of Detroit) MI 2-25

Iceland Gull – still a few around, mostly Thayers form. Birds were at the
Crawford County OH landfill 2-28, Kentucky Lake Dam 2-25, and Crosswinds
Marsh (SW Detroit) 3-01

Lesser Black-backed Gulls – 1 at Eagle Creek lake in Indianapolis IN thru
2-25; another at Kentucky Dam Village (far west KY) 3-01. 1 has been a
regular at Gull lake NE of Kalamazoo MI thru 3-01

Rough-legged Hawks – still birds at Killdeer Plains OH 2-26 and Tysons
Acres (far S Kentucky) 2-24, but some movement with birds at Armleder Park
(Cincinnati) OH 2-25 and

Golden Eagles – Wally Rd (NE of Mt. Vernon) OH still had 1 on 2-27

Barn Owl – the Pickerington Ponds (near Columbus OH) bird was seen
sporadically thru 3-01

Prairie Falcon – one these ghosts was found in the plains of Essex Rd
(Kankakee Co) IL 2-26

E. Phoebes – scattered reports, probably depressed by the cold: Lower
Killbuck Creek WA OH 2-26, Bluegrass FWA (near Evansville) IN 2-27, Fort
Harrison St.Park Indianapolis IN 2-29

N.Shrike – stakeout birds continued at the Jaite Mill area of Cuyahoga
Nat’l Park (N of Akron) OH thru 2-25, at Battelle Darby wetlands (W of
Columbus ) OH thru 2-26, and at Sangchris Lake IL thru 2-25, while new
records appeared at College Rd fields (near Kettering) OH thru 2-25 and
Killbuck Marsh OH 2-26.

Fish Crows – the N. Akron OH flock was reported thru 2-25, while 1 strayed
to N. Columbus OH 2-27. Quite a few records started to pop up in southern
IL and western KY, east to Eagle Slough (near Evansville) IN 2-26.

Ravens – strays recorded in Lawrence Co (2-26), Vinton Co (2-27) and Athens
Co (2-27) in southern OH, while 1 was at a landfill SE of Canton OH 3-01

Tree Swallows – one of the few Temperate migrants not slowed by cold, they
appeared in many locations in southern OH, and a few spots in northern OH &
IN.

Winter Wrens – lots of reports from the northern parts of IN, OH, & PA as
these birds start to head north

Gray Catbirds – many records in OH, PA, some in new locations suggestion a
pulse of early migrants

Brown Thrashers – the OSU wetlands bird in Columbus OH was still being
found thru 3-01, but other new records were scarce: Cane Ridge WMA in SW IN
2-26 and near Ashmore IL 3-01

Townsend’s Solitaire – nothing nearby any more; you’ll need to go all the
way up to Whitefish Point MI for one now.

Purple Finches – lots of records in OH, PA & IN now; birds at the Cedar
Ridge feeders at Battelle Darby MetroPark (W of Columbus) OH have been
reliable thru 2-28

Red Crossbill – most records are north of us now (northern IL, southern
MI), though a few linger in Perry Co (far southern) IN 2-25 & 26

Pine Siskins – still some records in western PA (few around Pittsburgh) as
well as the Geauga highlands east of Cleveland OH. A stray flock of 10 was
at the LaSalle FWA in north IN 2-25

Tree Sparrows – some records in our area of small flocks as they move north

Savannah Sparrows – a scattering of records in southern OH & IN as these
birds start to arrive from the Gulf Coast

Lincoln’s Sparrow – none in our area, but 1 was found in Lincoln Park
Chicago 2-27

LeConte’s Sparrows – sporadically at Goose Pond FWA in SW Indiana thru 2-26

Great-tailed Grackle – the stake-out bird at Monee IL, S of Chicago, was
still being seen thru 2-24

Western Meadowlark – the stakeout singing bird near Lyon IN just E of Goose
Pond FWA was still being relocated thru 2-27, while another stakeout SE of
Hickman KY was still around thru 3-01

Orange-crowned Warblers – the bird at Walnut Woods (S of Columbus OH) was
still visiting its favorite suet feeder thru 3-01. The bird in Eagle Slough
Preserve along the Ohio River in Evansville IN was still there 2-25 & 26.

Palm Warbler – the elusive bird at Killbuck Marsh (near Wooster) OH was
found again 2-25

Pine Warblers – starting to show up in southern woodlands in our area:
Celina Lake IN 2-26, near Centralia IL 2-25, and Pond Creek Rd (W of
Portsmouth) OH 2-27

CommonYellowthroats – 2 were found at the 4 Ponds area E of Loudonville OH
2-25

Back to top
Date: 3/3/24 6:40 pm
From: WANG PEGGY <00000454f4164bea-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Killbuck area Sunday
I don’t know this area well but I hoped I might get lucky & to see the Bewick’s Tundra Swan but missed it—it was seen at Wright Marsh earlier in the morning but departed S. I only saw a few swans, most quite distant but thought they were Tundras & I heard Tundras but none who untucked their heads appeared to be the Bewick’s. Saw a pair of Trumpeter Swans at a smaller pond as I was driving around.

Off Carrie Rd when I first got there, there were hundreds of ducks, mostly pintails—probably close to a thousand—the most I’ve ever seen in Ohio—pretty amazing sight even if too far for photos. Scanning through them, I found a few other species: N shoveler, Am Wigeon (dipped on Eurasian), bufflehead, ring-necked, gadwall, mallard, black & some coots. Heard Wood Ducks. Missed a Com Goldeneye some other birders saw at Cemetery. Also saw 5 Sandhill Cranes—may have been more as they landed in a field out of sight.

At what I gather is called the Shreve fish pond, I added canvasback, redhead & Scaup (which looked like Lessers) to me.

Ran across a small group of Tree Sparrows. Great Blue Heron. Nice to hear spring Peepers!

Raptors: Bald Eagle, Red-tailed & kestrel.

I stopped briefly at Wally Rd to scan the ridge lines for Golden Eagle but only saw a pair of Red-tailed & TVs. Heard a Pileated WP & Wood Ducks.

Had a Brown Creeper in my backyard yesterday—only the second one for my backyard list. Daffodils alr blooming!

Peggy Wang
Granville
Sent from my iPad

Back to top
Date: 3/3/24 3:58 pm
From: Cynthia Host <chostbird...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Sparrow Program
Hello - Is it possible to have the link sent to me please?  Thank you.

Cindy Host

Back to top
Date: 3/3/24 3:00 pm
From: Sandra Keller <000007a762f332b7-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Gilmore metro - butler - slow
It is still the beginning of March! But such a nice day that I had to go
Somewhere! Gilmore it was. Singing Rusty Blackbird was nice. Tree
Swallows feeding. Lots of flying tiny insects. Good! Bird food. GW Teal
At the cattail marsh. The usual passerine birds. In very low numbers.
I assume time of day played a role with that. I went mid afternoon.
There’s been extensive mowing and brush removal under the power lines.
Be interesting to see how that affects spring migration. Cattail marsh and
Smartweed flats have water again. Yea! North pond is still North puddle.
Good for shorebirds if that lasts! No success with the over wintering
Least around.

I’m torn on whether to edit more trip pics or get out again Monday!
I have directions for Richardson and skunk cabbage. Still might be iffy.
Requires a stream crossing…..

Good birding all.

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini

Back to top
Date: 3/3/24 8:55 am
From: Lceperley <00000a75c94eb484-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: [Ohio-birds] OHIO-BIRDS Digest - 13 Feb 2024 to 14 Feb 2024 (#2024-42)
Sorry to be slow, but can I have a link to the sparrow program? Maybe this year will be a THE YEAR for me to finally learn them. Thank you for these great programs.
Laura

On Feb 15, 2024, at 12:00 AM, OHIO-BIRDS automatic digest system <LISTSERV...> wrote:

There is 1 message totaling 208 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

1. Free Sparrow Zoom Program

Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 21:54:10 -0500
From: <mmvalencic...>
Subject: Re: Free Sparrow Zoom Program

The Audubon Society of Greater Cleveland Zoom presentation of LBJ's:
Sparrows and Finches of NE Ohio for Thursday Feb. 15 @ 7:00pm is filled to
capacity. The program will be recorded so if you cannot attend but would
like a link to the recording, please send me an email request on Friday Feb.
16th.

We are pleased and flattered at the high level of interest in this program.
Thanks to all who registered, and we will see you tomorrow night at 7pm.

Matt Valencic

Audubon Society of Greater Cleveland

Date: 3/3/24 6:56 am
From: Judy Lundquist <jlq.sci...>

Date: 3/2/24 4:41 pm
From: Randy Rowe <rowe926...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Killbuck Marsh, Wayne County
I was out yesterday (March 1) with David Wiesenberg, but could not post
until today. LOTS of waterfowl are in and should be there for the next week
or so. We had 17 species of waterfowl for the day, including nearly all the
dabblers except blue-winged teal and wood duck. We looked very hard at
Wright Marsh for the Eurasian wigeon, but did not find it among all the Am.
wigeons, nor did anyone else we spoke to. There were 500-1000 wigeon and
pintail at Wright Marsh. Other species were 10-20 or so. Also nice flock of
rusty blackbirds there. At Shreve Fishpond, there was a flock of 200+
divers, mostly ring-necks, but also a few redhead, lesser scaup,
buffleheads. Cemetery Road pond on Rt 226 still had over 150 tundra swans,
large numbers of wigeon and pintails, lesser numbers of others, including
two goldeneye. There were about a dozen green-winged teal, my first of the
season. Prairie Lane ponds had four common mergansers, that I saw. There
were also four trumpeter swans there. Two of these (I assume males) were
having quite a noisy tussle chasing each other about. At times their necks
were locked together and they tried to bite each other. One finally chased
the other off. Quite a sight! A good sign of impending spring.
Randy Rowe, Wooster

Back to top
Date: 3/2/24 6:16 am
From: Canterbury, Ronald (canterrd) <00000951b275ca19-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Call for Winter 2023-2024 Ohio Cardinal data
Hi, All:

As temperatures rise and spring season is upon us, and the winter season for the Ohio Cardinal has ended, it is time to request your data, records and sightings. Please send your December 2023 through February 2024 sightings to:

Ron Canterbury, 1585 Summit Hills Drive, Cincinnati OH, 45255 or <ron.canterbury...>

In addition to sightings, we welcome photos, anecdotes, book/e-media/app reviews, general interest articles, and research papers. If you enter your sightings into eBird, you do not need to send a report we download all the entries directly from Cornell. Feel free, however, to expand on items in your eBird list in a separate note to me, because I cant look at every note in eBird.

If you attach a file (Word, Excel, ASCII text, or similar) to an email, please include your name and the season in the file name and also within the file itself. Calling the file smith-winter2023 instead of sightings will save me time. And digital photo files, please; send prints only with prior approval. If you post photos to FaceBook, Flickr, or the like, you can send me links to them rather than the photo files themselves. Photos and links go to PhotoEditor Tom Fishburn, <tom561tom...>

The deadline is March 21. Thank you in advance. Have a great spring season everyone!

Ron Canterbury
Editor, The Ohio Cardinal
The Ohio Ornithological Society

Ronald A. Canterbury
Ornithologist
Associate Academic Director
University of Cincinnati
Department of Biological Sciences
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0006
Voice: 513.556.9570
Mobile: 513.237.7791
E-mail: <ron.canterbury...><mailto:<ron.canterbury...>

Back to top
Date: 3/2/24 5:54 am
From: WANG PEGGY <00000454f4164bea-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Blendon Woods Friday afternoon
I stopped at Blendon for a walk after running errands in Columbus yesterday. It was nice to see 7 Wood Ducks on Thoreau Lk, 5 drakes & 2 hens. Other ducks: N Shoveler, Gadwall, mallard, Black. Great Blue Heron.

Nothing unusual at the feeders but 2 turkeys were hanging out by the visitor center. A Red-shouldered Hawk was calling & a few juncos were around. Heard some grackles as well as Red-wingeds.

Red-taileds & at least one kestrel were along 161.

Peggy Wang
Granville
Sent from my iPad

Back to top
Date: 3/1/24 11:14 pm
From: Judy Schuster <000007e856f8fc83-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: [Ohio-birds] Inland Rare Birds, Feb 25 - Mar 1
Thank you - very insightful !

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Friday, March 1, 2024, 10:51 PM, Robert Thorn <robthorn6...> wrote:

[...]

Red Crossbill –most records are north of us now (northern IL, southern MI), though afew linger in Perry Co (far southern) IN 2-25 & 26

Pine Siskins –still some records in western PA (few around Pittsburgh) as wellas the Geauga highlands east of Cleveland OH. A stray flock of 10was at the LaSalle FWA in north IN 2-25

Tree Sparrows –some records in our area of small flocks as they move north

Savannah Sparrows –a scattering of records in southern OH & IN as these birds startto arrive from the Gulf Coast

Lincoln’s Sparrow– none in our area, but 1 was found in Lincoln Park Chicago 2-27

LeConte’s Sparrows– sporadically at Goose Pond FWA in SW Indiana thru 2-26

Great-tailed Grackle– the stake-out bird at Monee IL, S of Chicago, was still beingseen thru 2-24

Western Meadowlark –the stakeout singing bird near Lyon IN just E of Goose Pond FWA wasstill being relocated thru 2-27, while another stakeout SE of HickmanKY was still around thru 3-01

Orange-crownedWarblers – the bird at Walnut Woods (S of Columbus OH) was stillvisiting its favorite suet feeder thru 3-01. The bird in EagleSlough Preserve along the Ohio River in Evansville IN was still there2-25 & 26.

Palm Warbler – theelusive bird at Killbuck Marsh (near Wooster) OH was found again 2-25

Pine Warblers –starting to show up in southern woodlands in our area: Celina LakeIN 2-26, near Centralia IL 2-25, and Pond Creek Rd (W of Portsmouth)OH 2-27

CommonYellowthroats– 2 were found at the 4 Ponds area E of Loudonville OH 2-25

You can join or leave the list, or change your options, at:listserv.miamioh.edu/scripts/wa.exe?LIST=OHIO-BIRDSSend questions or comments about the list to: <listowner...>

Back to top

Date: 2/29/24 4:40 pm
From: Sandra Keller <000007a762f332b7-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Tree swallows - Feb bird! Success!
Well, it worked out rearranging my schedule. I had an hour at lake barber
Hamilton county this late afternoon. And it was getting warmer all day!
Insects started to emerge again. I had 8 trees foraging over the water.
Yea!

RB Merg was not a Feb. bird. Ebird lets me know. Hard to keep straight!
It was a year bird though.

More ducks on lake barber this afternoon. Nothing unusual though.

Rfi - anyone know where the Skunk cabbage is at the Richardson forest
Preserve - Hamilton county? I went searching there a year or two ago.
Nuttin…. I obviously was in the wrong location!

Good birding all.

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini

Back to top
Date: 2/29/24 9:52 am
From: Allen Chartier <amazilia3...>
Subject: Re: [Ohio-birds] Columbiana County February Hummingbird
Bob,

That's amazing! I doubt that it could have overwintered, although the
number of Ruby-throats lingering into December is increasing. They are
thought to be less hardy than Rufous. In Michigan, back in 2012, we had 3
dozen reports of Ruby-throats in March! I was able to confirm about half of
them, with the earliest on March 18th near Tawas Point. Under certain
conditions I think that some of the small number of Ruby-throats that
overwinter on the Gulf Coast might move north much earlier than normal, and
as in 2012 not be stopped by weather systems on the way. I wouldn't mind
seeing those photos if it is possible for you to forward them to me.

Allen T. Chartier
Inkster, Michigan
Email: <amazilia3...>
Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mihummingbirdguy/collections/
Website/Blog: http://mihummingbirdguy.blogspot.com/

Date: 2/29/24 9:12 am
From: robert lane <ohiomagpie...>

Date: 2/28/24 3:50 pm
From: Sandra Keller <000007a762f332b7-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] RB Mergs - Newton gravel pits - Hamilton county
I was checking this area first Tree swallows
After the storm cleared. I didn’t realize the
Wind and temps were going to go downhill.
No tree swallows. I assume the early ones
Here are laying low until insects emerge
Again. I had a lot of insects the other day
At Gilmore. Anyway, 3 drake RB Mergs.
And that is a Feb bird! Yea! Not too much
Else. One Horned grebe. Wigeons. Just
American! I heard a Eurasian was around
In central Ohio.

I am trying to get chores done tonight.
So I can try for tree swallow again leap day
After work.

Good birding all.

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 2/28/24 8:29 am
From: Robt McNulty <0000066f33ed1548-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Pine siskin
We have a single pine siskin coming to our feeders today in Gahanna.
Birds in the last week included a rusty blackbird hanging out with a single grackle and lots of red winged blackbirds.
Also, had three great horned owls calling last week ... we were not the only ones to hear them:  our flying squirrels waited an hour after the owls stopped calling before coming into their feeder.
Bob and Elaine McNulty

Back to top
Date: 2/27/24 2:15 pm
From: Sandra Keller <000007a762f332b7-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] A Feb. bird quest - Tree Swallow - Hamilton and butler counties
No success for me! I tried Fernald yesterday and Gilmore today. I guess they
Are moving around. I thought maybe I would see on wires at least. No.
I might head up Wed. Again. Depending on the weather. Least sandpiper was up there
Too. Still lots of the regular waterfowl around. Angela WT sparrows. I broke
The butler filter! Well, I walked the whole loop at Gilmore…..

Nice to hear Red winged Blackbirds singing! And spring peepers at Fernald
Yesterday!

Good birding all.

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini