OHIO-BIRDS
Received From Subject
8/13/18 1:50 pm Robert Thorn <robthorn6...> [Ohio-birds] Antrim-Highbanks,8-12:FewEarlyMigrants
8/12/18 8:34 am Steve Cagan <steve...> [Ohio-birds] Interesting hummer behavior
8/10/18 5:27 pm Robert Thorn <robthorn6...> [Ohio-birds] O'ShaughnessyReservoir,8-09: egrets,swallows
8/10/18 4:17 pm Stefan Minnig <stefanminnig...> [Ohio-birds] Little Blue Heron CHAMPAIGN CTY. Kiser Lake SP, 8/10, 7:08pm
8/10/18 10:06 am Dan Best <bestdan...> [Ohio-birds] Barn owl at Conneaut Sandspit this morning. Hiding in willows behind observation deck.
8/10/18 6:08 am Kathy Mock <2klmockingbird...> Re: [Ohio-birds] Summit Co Nimisila Reservoir Purple Martins (4000) are roosting and staging
8/8/18 1:19 pm Robert Thorn <robthorn6...> [Ohio-birds] PickPonds,8-08:swallows,egrets,noYellow-crown
8/8/18 11:08 am Matthew Valenic <mmvalencic...> [Ohio-birds] FREE NE Ohio Birding Event
8/6/18 4:07 pm Steve Jones <sjlarue1...> Re: [Ohio-birds] black necked stilts of NW Ohio
8/6/18 2:29 pm Cole DiFabio <colefor3...> Re: [Ohio-birds] Yellow-crowned Night-Herons, Lake and Franklin County
8/6/18 2:20 pm Douglas Vogus <vogeye...> [Ohio-birds] Ottawa NWR Monthly Censu
8/6/18 1:53 pm Terry Bronson <tbronsonbirds...> [Ohio-birds] Red Crossbills at 2 locations--Lake Hope Archery Range and Waterloo State Forest
8/6/18 12:52 pm Cole DiFabio <colefor3...> [Ohio-birds] Yellow-crowned Night-Herons, Lake and Franklin County
8/6/18 12:03 pm Craig Holt <0000005e41671c14-dmarc-request...> [Ohio-birds] Conneaut
8/6/18 7:53 am Elaine & Marty Cohen <buckeye4c...> [Ohio-birds] black necked stilts of NW Ohio
8/4/18 5:40 am Douglas Vogus <vogeye...> [Ohio-birds] Cuyahoga Valley Towpath Census
8/3/18 7:06 pm Peggy Wang <00000454f4164bea-dmarc-request...> [Ohio-birds] Dillon SP tonight
8/3/18 12:59 pm Robert Thorn <robthorn6...> [Ohio-birds] AlumCreekLake,8-03 - EarlyMigrants?
8/3/18 5:54 am Coy, Patrick G. <pcoy...> [Ohio-birds] Summit Co Nimisila Reservoir Purple Martins (4000) are roosting and staging
8/2/18 1:02 pm kent miller <k-cmiller...> Re: [Ohio-birds] Very possible breeding of Red Crossbills, Vinton Co. 2 or 3 different Types present
8/2/18 12:07 pm Terry Bronson <tbronsonbirds...> [Ohio-birds] Snowy Egret, Caspian Terms at Dillon State Park
8/2/18 7:22 am Cole DiFabio <colefor3...> [Ohio-birds] Very possible breeding of Red Crossbills, Vinton Co.
8/2/18 3:36 am Bruce Simpson <nylebruce...> [Ohio-birds] L Hope Zaleski
8/1/18 4:05 pm Brad Perkins <bperkins75...> [Ohio-birds] Snowy Egret, Caspian Terns at Dillon State Park Beach
8/1/18 8:56 am Craig Caldwell <craig_caldwell...> [Ohio-birds] The Ohio Cardinal wants your sightings
7/31/18 11:57 am Craig Holt <0000005e41671c14-dmarc-request...> [Ohio-birds] Conneaut
7/31/18 9:47 am Robert Thorn <robthorn6...> [Ohio-birds] HooverNaturePreserve,7-30:Broad-wings,CaspianTerns
7/30/18 5:16 pm Peggy Wang <00000454f4164bea-dmarc-request...> [Ohio-birds] Clear Creek & Chestnut Ridge MPs today
7/28/18 3:03 pm Susan Carpenter <scarpenter3...> Re: [Ohio-birds] Turkey vulture conclave in Stow (Summit Co)
7/28/18 11:41 am Susan Carpenter <scarpenter3...> Re: [Ohio-birds] Turkey vulture conclave in Stow (Summit Co)
7/28/18 7:50 am Ken Thompson <000002ec82ee436f-dmarc-request...> [Ohio-birds] Turkey vulture conclave in Stow (Summit Co)
7/28/18 5:16 am Michael Hatfield <000000f92fb7df1d-dmarc-request...> [Ohio-birds] Avocet buck creek beach, Clark county
7/26/18 7:28 am kent miller <k-cmiller...> [Ohio-birds] Holmes County Spoonbill update
7/25/18 5:03 am Bob Baran <rjbfly01...> Re: [Ohio-birds] Holmes County Roseate Spoonbill update with viewing plans for tonight
7/24/18 10:39 am kent miller <k-cmiller...> [Ohio-birds] Holmes County Roseate Spoonbill update with viewing plans for tonight
7/24/18 7:13 am Haans Petruschke <haans42...> [Ohio-birds] Junco Residency Project
7/23/18 2:18 pm robert lane <ohiomagpie...> [Ohio-birds] Conneaut Harbor Bald Eagle Count Methodology
7/23/18 2:02 pm robert lane <ohiomagpie...> [Ohio-birds] Conneaut Harbor Bald Eagle Gathering / Ashtabula County
7/23/18 6:24 am kent miller <k-cmiller...> [Ohio-birds] Roseate Spoonbill in Holmes County
7/22/18 1:27 pm Craig Holt <0000005e41671c14-dmarc-request...> [Ohio-birds] Conneaut shorebirds etc. this morning
7/22/18 8:53 am John Seiler <jseiler6200...> [Ohio-birds] Little Blue Heron
7/22/18 8:01 am Patty McKelvey <pambirds...> [Ohio-birds] Piping Plover - Erie
7/21/18 6:07 am Bruce Simpson <nylebruce...> [Ohio-birds] L Hope Zaleski- young Warblers and Songbirds
7/20/18 2:33 pm Cole DiFabio <colefor3...> Re: [Ohio-birds] Piping Plover - Erie
7/20/18 2:30 pm Patty McKelvey <pambirds...> [Ohio-birds] Piping Plover - Erie
7/19/18 1:19 pm Terry Bronson <tbronsonbirds...> [Ohio-birds] Shorebirds arriving in Washington County, and a few other surprises
7/17/18 10:11 am Haans Petruschke <haans42...> [Ohio-birds] Dark-eyed Junco residency project first Juv bird banded
7/17/18 7:45 am Terry Bronson <tbronsonbirds...> [Ohio-birds] Mississippi Kite still in Hocking County
7/15/18 8:49 am Coy, Patrick G. <pcoy...> [Ohio-birds] Hocking Co Miss Kite present

Back to top
Date: 8/13/18 1:50 pm
From: Robert Thorn <robthorn6...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Antrim-Highbanks,8-12:FewEarlyMigrants
Checking parks along the Olentangy corridor, I found many residents and few
early migrants. I stopped at Antrim Lake, 2 areas of Highbanks MetroPark
(Coyote Trail and Scenic River Trail), and Shale Hollow Preserve. Notables
included

Red-shouldered Hawk - 1 was calling at Antrim Lake, where they likely
attempted nesting this year
Wild Turkey - a hen was hanging around the Nature Center feeders at
Highbanks
Hummingbirds - Ruby-throats of various ages & sexes were at many sites
Flycatchers - Pewees were widespread, but the only Acadian was one calling
at Shale Hollow
Purple Martins - 3 were flying over the meadow of the Coyote Trail at
Highbanks
Gnatcatchers - no great numbers, but a few were at nearly every stop
Vireos - Red-eyed in many locations, but also had Warbling (Antrim) and
Yellow-throated (Scenic River Trail)
Warblers - a Hooded was still calling from a ravine along the Coyote Trail,
while a singing Black & White near there was almost certainly a wanderer.
Tanager - the only one found was a calling Scarlet at Shale Hollow
Oriole - the only one was a calling Baltimore along the Scenic River Trail

Shale Hollow's upland prairie plantings continue to be a good butterfly
magnet, with loads of skippers, Cabbage Whites, and Pearl Crescents, along
with a few Cloudless Sulphurs

Back to top
Date: 8/12/18 8:34 am
From: Steve Cagan <steve...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Interesting hummer behavior
Hi all,

So here's something I hadn't seen before. A dark swallowtail
butterfly--from my angle I couldn't get distinguishing details, I think a
female Tiger Swallowtail--went to get nectar from a forst in a rown of
annual flowers in the neighbors' yard. Within a second, a female
Ruby-throated Hummingbird arrived an chases the butterfly. The butterfly
went to a few flowers down, and the hummer chases it away again. this
happened about five times. I wonder if the hummer was letting the butterfly
scout out the nectar-rich flowers...

Best wishes to all,

Steve Cagan
Cuyahoga Country

Steve Cagan, photographer

<steve...>
www.stevecagan.com
www.elchocomining.net
http://elchocomining.tumblr.com
www.pbase.com/stevecagan
www.stevecagan.blogspot.com
http://socialdocumentary.net/photographer/stevecagan
216-932-2753 (USA)
322-344-7909 (Colombia)

Back to top
Date: 8/10/18 5:27 pm
From: Robert Thorn <robthorn6...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] O'ShaughnessyReservoir,8-09: egrets,swallows
Early migration was minimal around this reservoir northwest of Columbus
yesterday. I stopped at Traphagen Preserve, Area P, the Home Rd bridge,
and the dam, as well as down the gorge at Amberleigh Park, Coventry Woods
Park, and Kozcuiscko Park. Water level was high here, so no shorebirds,
but it was low enough for egrets and herons at several spots. Notables
included:

Great Egrets - at many locations, with 5 at Area P the high
Vultures - flocks at several spots, but none larger than 20 birds, all TVs
cuckoo - one calling Yellow-billed was at Area P
Owls - a Barred was at Koz Park, while Traphagen had a Great Horned
Flycatchers - Pewees widely scattered; still some Acadians at Koz Park and
Coventry Woods
Swallows - Barn Swallows were scattered over many sites, while the dam
still had a flock of 10 Cliff Swallows
Gnatcatchers - true to form, the only 'flock' was 3 early at Koz Park; as
the morning wore on, these smallest migrants vanished into the foliage at
later sites
Warblers - hardly any, with only Yellows and ComYellowthroats, and few of
them
Orioles - small groups of Baltimores along the reservoir shore, with 4 at
Area P and 2 near the Home Rd bridge

Back to top
Date: 8/10/18 4:17 pm
From: Stefan Minnig <stefanminnig...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Little Blue Heron CHAMPAIGN CTY. Kiser Lake SP, 8/10, 7:08pm
Theres a Little Blue Heron white morph located at Kiser Lake State Park in Champaign County as of 7:08pm today. The bird was located next to the campground in the low lying water of the lake where many lily pads are. Theres a circle drive for campers near the waters edge where bird can be viewed, but please be considerate of the surrounding campers. Scope is recommended.

Stefan Minnig

Back to top
Date: 8/10/18 10:06 am
From: Dan Best <bestdan...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Barn owl at Conneaut Sandspit this morning. Hiding in willows behind observation deck.

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 8/10/18 6:08 am
From: Kathy Mock <2klmockingbird...>
Subject: Re: [Ohio-birds] Summit Co Nimisila Reservoir Purple Martins (4000) are roosting and staging
Here's an article posted this morning on NewsNet5 with a radar screen shot of this mass of Purple Martins.
Watch: A large number of small birds on radar - <https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/oh-portage/purple-martins-nimisila-reservoir-where-bird-watch-portage-lakes>
Kathy MockBarberton

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 9 smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: "Coy, Patrick G." <pcoy...> Date: 8/3/18 8:53 AM (GMT-05:00) To: <OHIO-BIRDS...> Subject: [Ohio-birds] Summit Co Nimisila Reservoir Purple Martins (4000) are roosting and staging
Karin Tanquist and Bill Toneff and I had a lovely evening at Summit County's Nimisila Reservoir last night, shared with easily 4,000 Purple Martins. We arrived at the Summit Metro Parks boat launch parking area on the SE corner of the reservoir about 7:15 and stayed until 8:40.

The height of this amazing avian display was between 8:15-8:35 as the sky nearly darkened with Purple Martins swirling all about in huge flocks before eventually dropping down to roost for the evening in the grass islands.

The fact that all of this was played out against a gorgeous, colorful sunset was a special treat, adding to one of Ohio's great wildlife spectacles.

Patrick Coy
Peninsula, OH

Nimisila Reservoir, Summit, Ohio
Aug 2, 2018 7:20 PM - 8:40 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments:     75F, partly cloudy, still
13 species

Canada Goose  8
Mallard 20
Pied-billed Grebe 1
Double-crested Cormorant  2
Osprey  3
American Coot 12     11 adults and a single young bird.
Ring-billed Gull 3
Mourning Dove 1
Eastern Kingbird  5
Purple Martin 4000
Carolina Wren 1
Song Sparrow 1
Red-winged Blackbird 300

Back to top
Date: 8/8/18 1:19 pm
From: Robert Thorn <robthorn6...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] PickPonds,8-08:swallows,egrets,noYellow-crown
I stopped at Pickerington Ponds this morning before the rain got serious,
but didn't find much unusual for the date. I couldn't re-locate the
Yellow-crowned night Heron reported a few days ago, and even ran into Irina
(who reported it) who couldn't relocate it either. Ellis Pond is high, but
most of the other ponds are shallow and showing mudflats, which produced
some herons and shorebirds. Notables included:

Herons,Egrets - Great Egrets & Great Blues were at almost every pool,
though nowhere in big numbers. Greenwing Pond had 3 Green Herons.

Shorebirds - difficult to see with the tall vegetation, but I did find
small flocks that included 15+ Killdeer, 4 Lesser yellowlegs, 2
Semipalmated Sandpipers, 1 Pectoral, and 1 Least Sandpiper

Osprey - an adult was in a tree studiously ignoring 2 juveniles on the nest
platform at Arrowhead Marsh (off Glacier Knoll)

Swallows - flocks of Rough-winged and Barns were perched on wires in the
drizzle, along with a group of 15 Purple Martins

Flycatchers - no big movement of them yet, but did still have Willows in
several fields, a family group of E.Kingbirds at Ellis Pond, and a calling
great Crested off the Meadowlark Trail

Blackbirds - hardly any left here, with only a handful of Redwings around
the Wood Duck picnic area, and no grackles anywhere.

Back to top
Date: 8/8/18 11:08 am
From: Matthew Valenic <mmvalencic...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] FREE NE Ohio Birding Event
Audubon Society of Greater Cleveland invites you to assemble a team of
birders (two or more is a team!) and participate in the FREE 4th Annual Bird
Quest Team Birding Challenge. Your family can be a team - your New Birders
group can be a team - seasoned veterans can be a team! Details can be found
on our website (https://clevelandaudubon.org/?page_id=3467) but here are the
high points:

* FREE New Birders Workshop at Holden Arboretum on September 8th from
9-11am - register at https://clevelandaudubon.org/?page_id=3349.
* Register your team and pick up materials (maps, HOTSPOTS, checklist
and T-shirts) on Friday September 14th from 4-6:00pm (two locations)
* Team bird as many habitats as you can in The Chagrin River Corridor
IBA until 4pm Saturday September 15th (list of birding HOTSPOTS provided
each team)
* Turn in your team CHECKLIST and list of HABITATS VISITED at 4pm at
The West Woods Nature Center, Russell Township, OH
* 4-6:30pm - Enjoy hearty refreshments, meet other birders and enjoy
the CELEBRATION of winners in several categories, both silly and serious!

This is a FREE, FAMILY FRIENDLY EVENT for birders of all ages and experience
levels. Check the website for details
(https://clevelandaudubon.org/?page_id=3467) but it you still have questions
send me an email directly.

Matt Valencic

"It is in giving that we receive."

Back to top
Date: 8/6/18 4:07 pm
From: Steve Jones <sjlarue1...>
Subject: Re: [Ohio-birds] black necked stilts of NW Ohio
I would call it a return to nesting in Ohio.

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018, 10:52 AM Elaine & Marty Cohen <buckeye4c...>
wrote:

> Got to see 2 lifer black necked stilts at Howard Marsh recently.
> The Facebook Birding Ohio page has noted the presence of several nesting
> pairs
> and now their young at both Howard and adjacent Metzger Marshes this
> summer.
> I do not recall any such reports in the prior few years. Is this a first
> for nesting
> BN stilts in Ohio?
>
> Marty Cohen

> Send questions or comments about the list to: <listowner...>

Back to top
Date: 8/6/18 2:29 pm
From: Cole DiFabio <colefor3...>
Subject: Re: [Ohio-birds] Yellow-crowned Night-Herons, Lake and Franklin County
Correction: Evie Newell was the original finder. Nice find, Evie.

--
Cole DiFabio

Back to top
Date: 8/6/18 2:20 pm
From: Douglas Vogus <vogeye...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Ottawa NWR Monthly Censu
*AUGUST 05, 2018 - OTTAWA NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE MONTHLY CENSUS.*
*ROUTES*: Same usual morning and afternoon routes - East and West sides in
the morning and back side (Auto Tour) area in the afternoon. *TIME*:
8:00am - 12:10pm; 1:45pm - 4:55pm
*TEMP.*: 71 ~ 90 *COND.*: Sunny, hot, and humid. *OBS.EAST*: Katie Clink,
Ed Pierce. *OBS.WEST*: Donna Kuhn, Dave & Kim Myles, Kyle Myles, Jim
Reyda, Al & Betty Schlecht,
Tony Szilagye, Douglas W. Vogus. *OBS.AFTERNOON*: Bob Bartolotta, Claire
Johnson, Donna Kuhn, Ed Pierce, Jim Reyda, Douglas W. Vogus.

*I. MAMMALS*: 6 SPECIES.

1. Eastern Cottontail - 11
2. Woodchuck - 8
3. Eastern Fox Squirrel - 4
4. Common Muskrat - 2
5. Common Raccoon - 1
6. White-tailed Deer - 2

*II. BIRDS*: 92 SPECIES, 3,496 TOTAL BIRDS.

1. Canada Goose - 774
2. Trumpeter Swan - 46 (6 young; 3 adults with neckbands: "green 74M",
"yellow 1A2", and "yellow 3A8")
3. Wood Duck - 58
4. Mallard - 47
5. Blue-winged Teal - 1
6. Hooded Merganser - 1
7. Pied-billed Grebe - 10
8. Mourning Dove - 93
9. Yellow-billed Cuckoo - 1
10. Chimney Swift - 1
11. Ruby-throated Hummingbird - 6
12. Common Gallinule - 1
13. American Coot - 1
14. Sandhill Crane - 5
15. Semipalmated Plover - 3
16. Killdeer - 51
17. Dunlin - 32
18. Least Sandpiper - 9
19. Pectoral Sandpiper - 2
20. Semipalmated Sandpiper - 27
21. Short-billed Dowitcher - 2
22. Spotted Sandpiper - 8
23. Solitary Sandpiper - 1
24. Greater Yellowlegs - 6
25. Lesser Yellowlegs - 24
26. Ring-billed Gull - 13
27. Herring Gull - 1
28. Caspian Tern - 8
29. Common Tern - 3
30. Double-crested Cormorant - 22
31. Great Blue Heron - 71
32. Great Egret - 133
33. Snowy Egret - 18
34. Green Heron - 6
35. Black-crowned Night-Heron - 3
36. Turkey Vulture - 4
37. Bald Eagle - 8 (3 adult,5 immature)
38. Red-tailed Hawk - 8
39. Great Horned Owl - 3
40. Belted Kingfisher - 2
41. Red-headed Woodpecker - 1 (adult)
42. Red-bellied Woodpecker - 5
43. Downy Woodpecker - 19
44. Northern Flicker - 15
45. Eastern Wood-Pewee - 4
46. Willow Flycatcher - 11
47. Eastern Phoebe - 12
48. Great Crested Flycatcher - 4
49. Eastern Kingbird - 55
50. Warbling Vireo - 10
51. Red-eyed Vireo - 3
52. Blue Jay - 20
53. Horned Lark - 2
54. Purple Martin - 54
55. Tree Swallow - 226
56. Bank Swallow - 2
57. Barn Swallow - 108
58. Black-capped Chickadee - 6
59. Tufted Titmouse - 3
60. White-breasted Nuthatch - 5
61. Brown Creeper - 1
62. House Wren - 17
63. Marsh Wren - 1
64. Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - 6
65. Eastern Bluebird - 4
66. American Robin - 113
67. Gray Catbird - 22
68. Brown Thrasher - 1
69. Northern Mockingbird - 1 (juvenile)
70. European Starling - 248
71. Cedar Waxwing - 5
72. House Sparrow - 28
73. House Finch - 9
74. American Goldfinch - 40
75. Prothonotary Warbler - 2
76. Common Yellowthroat - 13
77. Yellow Warbler - 23
78. Chipping Sparrow - 1
79. Field Sparrow - 3
80. Savannah Sparrow - 1
81. Henslow's Sparrow - 2 (Grimm Prairie)
82. Song Sparrow - 35
83. Swamp Sparrow - 6
84. Northern Cardinal - 26
85. Indigo Bunting - 17
86. Dickcissel - 1 (between Rt. 2 and the visitor center entrance drive)
87. Bobolink - 3 (Grimm Prairie)
88. Red-winged Blackbird - 659
89. Common Grackle - 103
90. Brown-headed Cowbird - 7
91. Orchard Oriole - 1
92. Baltimore Oriole - 19

*III. REPTILES*: 2 SPECIES.

1. Northern Water Snake - 2
2. Eastern Garter Snake - 3

*IV. AMPHIBIANS*: 3 SPECIES.

1. Bullfrog - 19
2. Green Frog - 13
3. Northern Leopard Frog - 18

*V. FISHES*: 1 SPECIES.

1. Creek Chub - 15

*VI. BUTTERFLIES*: 9 SPECIES.

1. Eastern Black Swallowtail - 5
2. Eastern Tiger Swallowtail - 3
3. Cabbage Butterfly - 19
4. Clouded Sulphur - 25
5. Summer Azure - 2
6. Pearl Crescent - 9
7. Viceroy - 2
8. Monarch - 43
9. Least Skipper - 4

*VII. DRAGONFLIES & DAMSELFLIES*: 13 SPECIES.

1. Common Green Darner
2. Halloween Pennant
3. Eastern Pondhawk
4. Widow Skimmer
5. Blue Dasher
6. Wandering Glider
7. Eastern Amberwing
8. Ruby Meadowhawk
9. Black Saddlebags
10. Slender Spreadwing - 1
11. Familiar Bluet
12. Orange Bluet
13. Eastern Forktail

Douglas W. Vogus - Akron, Ohio.

Back to top
Date: 8/6/18 1:53 pm
From: Terry Bronson <tbronsonbirds...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Red Crossbills at 2 locations--Lake Hope Archery Range and Waterloo State Forest
Early this morning there were at least 2 Red Crossbills at the archery
range at Lake Hope State Park. I saw 2 birds at the tip top of a pine tree
along the utility line downhill from archery targets 6-8. Unfortunately,
both birds, and a possible 3rd bird seen a bit later in amother tree, were
completely backlit by the sun. However, 2 of the 3 posed briefly in
profile, thus allowing me to see their crossed bills. 1 of the 2 birds seen
in the same tree may have had dark wings, indicating a female. Also, those
2 birds interacted briefly on the far side of the tree. Could have been
copulating, but could have been 1 feeding the other. None showed any red
plumage, but as I said they were all backlit. A photographer present
thought he may have seen as many as 6 birds before they flew off.

Also of interest at the archery range parking lot:

Green Heron--1 heard behind trees along lakeshore
Yellow-billed Cuckoo--1
Yellow-throated Vireo--2
Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher--2
Pine Warbler--1
Yellow-throated Warbler--1
Scarlet Tanager--3 females/juveniles and 1 adult male

At the nearby beach there were about 45 Barn Swallows, including many
juveniles.

Along the Little Sandy Trail a Broad-winged Hawk flew by.

Along the Furnace Trail at the Hope Iron Furnace end:

Yellow-billed Cuckoo--1
Belted Kingfisher--2, 1 of which was a juvenile that did not yet have a
crest
Wood Thrush--2, 1 of which was a juvenile

After lunch I went to the nearby Waterloo State Forest driving loop, which
proved to be a very interesting area. At top of the loop, 0.7 mile from
Route 356, there is a pine forest where virtually all the deciduous trees
were removed many years ago. Highlights here included:

Yellow-billed Cuckoo--2 copulating, not once but twice
Red-headed Woodpecker--2 adults and 3 juveniles.
Eastern Wood-Pewee--3
Eastern Bluebird--4
Wood Thrush--1
Cedar Waxwing--1
Pine Warbler--3
Baltimore Oriole--1
Red Crossbill--3. 1 was seen briefly in the scope and proved to be a male.
The other were with him, but not seen well. Since this location is probably
less than 5 miles east of the Lake Hope Archery Range, these could have
been some of the Lake Hope birds, but they also could have been completely
different birds.

And as I got in my car to leave a Bobcat flushed across the road.

Terry Bronson
Vienna, WV

Back to top

Date: 8/6/18 12:03 pm
From: Craig Holt <0000005e41671c14-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Conneaut
I birded at Conneaut harbor today from 6:40 AM till 12:40 PM.  It was pretty slow early on, but things picked up as the morning went on.  Shorebirds were moving until noon, I ended up with 10 species (again).  Highlights were: 12 wood ducks, double-crested cormorants, 4 green herons, 20 bald eagles, 4 Am. avocets, 3 semipalmated plovers, whimbrel, sanderling, least sandpipers, semipalmated sandpipers, short-billed dowitcher, spotted sandpipers, lesser yellowlegs, Caspian tern, Forster's tern, red-headed woodpecker, e. kingbird, purple martin, bank swallows, and yellow warblers.  Craig Holt, Lowellville

Back to top

Date: 8/4/18 5:40 am
From: Douglas Vogus <vogeye...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Cuyahoga Valley Towpath Census
*AUGUST 03, 2018 - CUYAHOGA VALLEY TOWPATH TRAIL CENSUS.*
*HIKE*: Red Lock Trailhead south to Merriman Valley, with stops at Trail
Mix in Peninsula & Szalay's Farm Market. *TIME*: 5:55am - 4:30pm *TEMP.*:
64 ~ 86 ~ 85
COND.: Cool, cloudy, and foggy early; warming up to a clouds/sun mix,
turning humid and sunny with light southerly breezes all day.
*TRAIL COND.*: Excellent; footbridge construction still ongoing - bridge
south of Deep Lock still out, able to cross creek via steel plates. Bridge
between that bridge and Furnace Run is in and crossable. Bridge over
Furnace Run is in but detour continues via the Valley Trail out to
Riverview Rd. and around Szalay's Farm Market.
*RIVER COND.*: Low, mostly clear, with many rock and sandbars exposed.
*FT.MI.*: 13.63 *OBS.*: John Henry and Douglas W. Vogus.

*I. MAMMALS*: 7 SPECIES.

1. Little Brown Myotis - 6 (at the Highland Rd. bridge over Cuyahoga
River at Red Lock - New Census High - previous was 5 on 08/2015)
2. Eastern Chipmunk - 20
3. Eastern Fox Squirrel - 3
4. Red Squirrel - 22
5. American Beaver - 1 (in Cuyahoga River at Stanford Swamp feasting on
Japanese knotweed - at least someone likes it!)
6. Mink - 1 (First August Record on Census)
7. White-tailed Deer - 2 (unknown)

*II. BIRDS*: 68 SPECIES (New High for August - previous was 66 in 2017),
662 TOTAL BIRDS.
(NOTE: m = male; f = female; ? = bird was seen but not sexed; * = bird was
heard calling but not sexed)

1. Canada Goose - 15
2. Wood Duck - 11 (2m,4 juvenile m,2f,3?)
3. Mallard - 5 (2f,3 juvenile)
4. Rock Pigeon - 1
5. Mourning Dove - 10
6. Yellow-billed Cuckoo - 1
7. Chimney Swift - 8
8. Ruby-throated Hummingbird - 1 (f)
9. Killdeer - 2
10. American Woodcock - 1 (fly-over at Red Lock Trailhead parking lot)
11. Spotted Sandpiper - 4 (2 juvenile)
12. Solitary Sandpiper - 2
13. Herring Gull - 1 (First August Record on Census)
14. Great Blue Heron - 6
15. Green Heron - 3
16. Turkey Vulture - 5
17. Broad-winged Hawk - 1 (north of Deep Lock)
18. Red-tailed Hawk - 2 (1 juvenile)
19. Red-headed Woodpecker - 3 (2 adult,1*)
20. Red-bellied Woodpecker - 10 (2m,1f,5*,2 juvenile)
21. Downy Woodpecker - 10 (3m,1f,2?,4*)
22. Hairy Woodpecker - 2 (*)
23. Northern Flicker - 4 (*)
24. Pileated Woodpecker - 1 (*)
25. Peregrine Falcon - 1 (juvenile m at the Ohio Turnpike bridge -
still screaming to be fed)
26. Eastern Wood-Pewee - 7
27. Acadian Flycatcher - 3
28. Willow Flycatcher - 5 (2 juveniles following one parent bird)
29. Eastern Phoebe - 7 (all in one family group - 1 juvenile following
one parent & 4 juveniles following the other parent)
30. Eastern Kingbird - 5
31. White-eyed Vireo - 2
32. Yellow-throated Vireo - 1
33. Warbling Vireo - 2
34. Red-eyed Vireo - 10 (1 juvenile following one parent)
35. Blue Jay - 19
36. American Crow - 9
37. Purple Martin - 5 (perched up in a sycamore snag near the Conrad
Botzum Farm - New Census High - previous was 3 on 09/2015)
38. Tree Swallow - 3
39. Northern Rough-winged Swallow - 3
40. Barn Swallow - 4
41. Black-capped Chickadee - 15
42. Tufted Titmouse - 12 (2 juveniles being fed by one parent)
43. White-breasted Nuthatch - 11 (1m,1f,1?,8*)
44. House Wren - 2
45. Carolina Wren - 13
46. Eastern Bluebird - 6 (1?,1*,4 juveniles)
47. American Robin - 50 (3 juveniles)
48. Gray Catbird - 11
49. Brown Thrasher - 1 (First August Record on Census)
50. European Starling - 54
51. Cedar Waxwing - 8 (1 juvenile)
52. House Sparrow - 18
53. House Finch - 5 (1m,2f,2*)
54. American Goldfinch - 32 (15m,4f,13*)
55. Louisiana Waterthrush - 1 (feeding along the shale ledges skirting
the Cuyahoga River north of the Peninsula footbridge)
56. Common Yellowthroat - 11 (8m,1f,2?)
57. Hooded Warbler - 7 (4m,3*)
58. Yellow Warbler - 2 (1m,1f)
59. Eastern Towhee - 3 (2m, 1 juvenile m following one parent bird)
60. Song Sparrow - 40 (2 juveniles)
61. Swamp Sparrow - 10
62. Scarlet Tanager - 3 (1m,2 juveniles - both juveniles following male
parent bird)
63. Northern Cardinal - 36 (22m,9f,5*)
64. Indigo Bunting - 10 (9m,1*)
65. Red-winged Blackbird - 50 (12m,15f,20?,2*,1 juvenile)
66. Common Grackle - 44
67. Orchard Oriole - 1 (f)
68. Baltimore Oriole - 2 (1m,1f)

Unidentified Raptor - 1
Unidentified Passerines - 8

*III. REPTILES*: 5 SPECIES.

1. Common Snapping Turtle - 7
2. Stinkpot - 1 (Tied Census High from 06/2017 & 05/2018)
3. Red-eared Turtle - 3
4. Midland Painted Turtle - 99
5. Eastern Spiny Softshell - 13

*IV. AMPHIBIANS*: 2 SPECIES.

1. Bullfrog - 17 (6 tadpoles)
2. Green Frog - 14 (10 heard only)

Unidentified tadpoles - about 200 in a pool drying up in the old canal bed.

*V. FISHES*: 6 SPECIES.

1. Creek Chub - many
2. Common Shiner - many
3. Northern Hog Sucker - 3
4. Largemouth Bass - 5
5. Bluegill - 8
6. Pumpkinseed - 4

*VI. BUTTERFLIES*: 16 SPECIES.

1. Eastern Black Swallowtail - 1 (First August Record on Census - Tied
Census High from 06/2012 & 05/2013)
2. Eastern Tiger Swallowtail - 25 (1 dark morph)
3. Cabbage Butterfly - 26
4. Clouded Sulphur - 3
5. Eastern Tailed-Blue - 1 (female - First August Record on Census)
6. Summer Azure - 2
7. Pearl Crescent - 1
8. Question Mark - 2
9. Mourning Cloak - 1 (First August Record on Census - Tied Census High
from 7 other occasions)
10. Red-spotted Purple - 3
11. Viceroy - 2
12. Common Wood Nymph - 1 (New Butterfly Species on Census - Now at 31
Species since 01/2010)
13. Monarch - 7
14. Silver-spotted Skipper - 11 (New Census High - previous was 6 on
08/2016)
15. Least Skipper - 3 (New Census High - previous was 2 on 06/2012)
16. Zabulon Skipper - 4

*VII. DRAGONFLIES & DAMSELFLIES*: 14 SPECIES, 1 DEAD.

1. Black-tipped Darner - 1
2. Common Green Darner - 1
3. Eastern Pondhawk - 1
4. Slaty Skimmer - 2
5. Widow Skimmer - 2
6. Blue Dasher - 25+
7. Wandering Glider - 1
8. Eastern Amberwing - 2
9. Ruby Meadowhawk - 4
10. Black Saddlebags - 3
11. Ebony Jewelwing - 4 (2m,2f)
12. Blue-fronted Dancer - 20+
13. Blue-tipped Dancer - 5
14. Azure Bluet - 2
15. Swift River Cruiser - 1 (dead on the trail being scavenged by
yellowjackets)

*MOTHS of NOTE*: 2 SPECIES.

1. Darling Underwing - 1
2. Hummingbird Clearwing Moth - 3 (all females on one patch of bee-balm)

*SPIDER of NOTE*: 1 SPECIES.

1. Dark Fishing Spider - 1 (on the water in Deep Lock)

*WILDFLOWER of NOTE*: 1 SPECIES.

1. Cardinal-flower (currently in full-bloom)

Douglas W. Vogus - Akron, Ohio.

Back to top
Date: 8/3/18 7:06 pm
From: Peggy Wang <00000454f4164bea-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Dillon SP tonight
A quick near sunset visit to the beach area yielded 2 Bonaparte’s Gulls, one in adult breeding plumage, one in winter plumage.

A dozen Great Egrets were on the far shore. Probably twice that number of Great Blues scattered around.

Spotted Sandpiper, Killdeer. Several Canada Geese, one Kingfisher.

E Kingbird. Heard distant Wood Thrushes and Carolina Wrens.

Peggy Wang
Zanesville

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 8/3/18 12:59 pm
From: Robert Thorn <robthorn6...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] AlumCreekLake,8-03 - EarlyMigrants?
I stopped at several of the 'migrant traps' along this reservoir north of
Columbus this morning, and found some early migrant activity. I stopped at
New Galena boat ramp, the dam, the Cheshire boat ramp, and Alum Point
(south end of Old State Rd below SR 37). The water level was too high for
shorebirds, but the peninsulas at New Galena and Alum Point had accumulated
some early wanderers, including,

Green Herons - 2 at Alum Point
Red-headedWoodpecker - 1 juvenile at New Galena
Chimney Swifts - small flocks at both points
E.WoodPewees - 5-6 at New Galena, 3-4 at Alum Point
EKingbirds - 6 at New Galena, 5 at Alum Point
Warbling Vireos - 6+ at New Galena, but only a few elsewhere
Gnatcatchers - 6+ at New Galena, 2-3 at Alum Point
Swallows - small flocks of Barn Swallows and Purple Martins at both points
YellowWarblers - 1-2 at each Point
Baltimore Orioles - 2 at New Galena, 3 at Alum Point

Back to top

Date: 8/2/18 1:02 pm
From: kent miller <k-cmiller...>
Subject: Re: [Ohio-birds] Very possible breeding of Red Crossbills, Vinton Co. 2 or 3 different Types present
An update to the previous post. My recordings from yesterday morning have been determined by Tim Spahr to not only reveal numerous Type 1 "Appalachian" Red Crossbills but also a second state first Type 10 or "Sitka Spruce" Red Crossbill whose population centers in the Pacific Northwest but are known to irrupt occasionally to the Northeast States. If you'd like to read about some of the distinctive and ranges of these currently different types within the species complex, google "ebird red crossbill" and check out the article by Tim Spahr & Matt Young.
In addition to Cole's previous notes, we had 6 crossbills in the trees directly above and eventually right in the parking lot for the archery range near the end of Park Road 9.
For those of you who use eBird (and the importance of these birds to science and the developing understanding of these birds make submitting your records of these birds to eBird as valid as any reason to use eBird) please use the following protocol. Due to the current limits of identifying the different types of Red Crossbill by sight alone, please record any photos or observations without audio recording as general Red Crossbill. If you are able to gain a WAV file recording with your cell phone or other device, please send it to Tim Spahr at <tspahr44...> and if he is able to determine the type, than add that type to your checklist and attach that sound file to the entry of that type in your checklist.
Kent Miller

Date: 8/2/18 12:07 pm
From: Terry Bronson <tbronsonbirds...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Snowy Egret, Caspian Terms at Dillon State Park
The adult Snowy Egret reported yesterday at Dillon State Park northwest of
Zanesville was at the beach area today. It is off to the right of the beach
on some aluminum structures on a floating dock. You need to be down at the
shore at the boat launch to see it. Photos in my eBird report tonight when
I get home.

Other highlights at the beach:

Great Blue Heron--35
Double-crested Cormorant--15
Killdeer--20
Least Sandpiper--3
Spotted Sandpiper--2
Ring-billed Gull--11
Caspian Tern--6, including 2 first-year birds. Photos to be included with
eBird report when I get home.
Bald Eagle--1 adult and 1 very distant probably first-year bird
Red-headed Woodpecker--1 juvenile

Earlier at the marina:

Double-crested Cormorant--1
Ring-billed Gull--2

Earlier at Dillon Dam:

Great Blue Heron--8
Great Egret--1

Terry Bronson
Vienna, WV

Back to top

Date: 8/2/18 3:36 am
From: Bruce Simpson <nylebruce...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] L Hope Zaleski
I visited this area twice in the last week I am seeing a lot of young and flocks of Songbirds

Highlights
Whip-poor-will--calling while circling territory
Kentucky Warbler- Adult feeding young
Red-eyed Vireo--young begging Adult
Red-shouldered Hawk--with snake

Young
Warblers
Hooded-female
American Redstart-young male
Prairie
Chestnut-sided
Kentucky
Worm-eating
Magnolia
Blue-winged--female
Black-and-white--male
Wood Thrush
E Towhee
Gray Catbird
Baltimore Oriole-female
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Carolina Wren
White-eyed Vireo

Bruce Simpson-Nature Photographer

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 8/1/18 4:05 pm
From: Brad Perkins <bperkins75...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Snowy Egret, Caspian Terns at Dillon State Park Beach
My friend, Jamie Boyd, photographed a Snowy Egret around 5:30 PM this evening at the Dillon State Park Beach in Muskingum County. We saw it briefly at 7:00 PM before it flew to the NE part of the lake. There were also 3 Caspian Terns, 2 adults and 1 juvenile.

Brad Perkins

Nashport

Back to top
Date: 8/1/18 8:56 am
From: Craig Caldwell <craig_caldwell...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] The Ohio Cardinal wants your sightings
Summer is over, at least for the Ohio Cardinal, so it’stime to send in your June and July sightings. They go to Craig Caldwell, 1270 W. Melrose Dr., Westlake, OH, 44145 or CardinalATohiobirds.org(substitute the “@” symbol for “AT”).  Inaddition to sightings, we welcome photos, field notes, anecdotes, generalinterest articles, and research papers. If you enter your sightings into eBird, you do not need to send a report– we download all the entries directly from Cornell.  Feel free, however, to expand on items in youreBird list in a separate note to me, because I can’t look at every note ineBird.

Digital photo files, please; send prints only with priorapproval.  If you post photos toFaceBook, Flickr, or the like, you can send links to them rather than the photofiles themselves.  Photos and links go toPhoto Editor Christopher Collins, chris.collinsATohiobirds.org.

The deadline is August 21.  Thank you in advance.

Craig Caldwell

Editor, The Ohio Cardinal

The Ohio Ornithological Society

Back to top
Date: 7/31/18 11:57 am
From: Craig Holt <0000005e41671c14-dmarc-request...>
I birded at Conneaut harbor today from 6:30 AM till 12:30 PM.  Although there were some lulls during the morning, birds were coming and going and moving around much of the time.  It was a pretty good shorebird day with 10 species recorded.  Highlights were: wood ducks, 9 common mergansers, double-crested cormorants, least bittern, green heron, bald eagles, 3 black-bellied plovers, 11 semipalmated plovers, whimbrel, 10 sanderlings, 3 least sandpipers (first juv.), pectoral sandpiper, 13 semipalmated sandpipers, short-billed dowitcher, lesser yellowlegs, the first juv. ring-billed and herring gulls, Caspian tern, belted kingfisher, 2 e. kingbirds, purple martins, 40 bank swallows, and 7 yellow warblers (some were definitely migrants).  Craig Holt, Lowellville

Back to top
Date: 7/31/18 9:47 am
From: Robert Thorn <robthorn6...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] HooverNaturePreserve,7-30:Broad-wings,CaspianTerns
I stopped at several spots around the north end of Hoover Reservoir Monday,
and had quite afew interesting summer residents. Water levels are still
abysmally high, so shorebird habitat is nil here. But interesting
landbirds almost made up for it. I stopped at Oxbow Island, Wiese Rd, the
Galena RR Bridge bikeway, and Areas M-N. Highlights included:

Broad-winged Hawks - an adult was being trailed by a calling juvenile at
Wiese Rd, so it's possible that these rare summer residents bred around the
north end of the reservoir

Osprey - lots around the north end of the reservoir, including 5 along
Wiese rd

Caspian Terns - 6 adults and 1 juvenile were perched on logs near the
Boardwalk

Gulls - few fishermen allowed a flock of 20 Ring-bills and 4 Herring to
accumulate on the Boardwalk

Red-headed Woodpeckers - appears to be a good year, with adults and
juveniles at several stops

Flycatchers - plenty of calling Pewees, but sill had calling Acadians at
Galena and Area N

Warblers - many Yellows still around the reservoir shore, but had
Prothonotaries at Oxbow and Area N
Grosbeaks - a female Rose-br.Grosbeak was along Wiese rd, while a juvenile
was at nearby Galena RR bridge
Orioles - had juvenile and female Baltimores at many locations

Back to top
Date: 7/30/18 5:16 pm
From: Peggy Wang <00000454f4164bea-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Clear Creek & Chestnut Ridge MPs today
Light rain early but just clouds after.

At Clear Creek, I had small family Warbler groups foraging near one another and making short calls/chirps—contact calls?: Hooded, La WT, Ovenbird, B&W. Heard BT Green. Also young Red-eyed Vireos. Female Scarlet Tanager. Wood Thrushes still singing. E Peewees, Acadian FCs. Relatively quiet.

Trails open again from valley view. Must have been hellacious storm a couple wks ago given how many v large trees that were downed, many at roughly same angle so maybe straight line winds? Forest has wide open spots in several places. Tulip tree and prairie Warbler trails v different now. Truly amazing.

Chestnut Ridge quiet but many field Sparrows trilling as well as dueling Am GFs with cool aerial displays. More Hooded Warblers. Indigo Buntings & cedar Waxwings.

Peggy Wang
Zanesville

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 7/28/18 3:03 pm
From: Susan Carpenter <scarpenter3...>
Subject: Re: [Ohio-birds] Turkey vulture conclave in Stow (Summit Co)
Ken,

I forgot to mention in my first response that many, if not most, of these vultures are juvenile. If you can get them in your bins, very few have red heads.

Susan Carpenter

---- Ken Thompson <000002ec82ee436f-dmarc-request...> wrote:

=============
Question: is it time for the turkey vultures to begin 'flocking up'?  Yesterday, over Silver Springs park in Stow, there was a kettle of TVs of at least 2 dozen, probably more that i couldn't see.  I'm used to seeing TVs throughout the area, just not in that concentration.  Another member of the dog-park group has mentioned them roosting in the trees and on the roofs in his condo community.
 Ken Thompson
Silver Lake, OH

Back to top
Date: 7/28/18 11:41 am
From: Susan Carpenter <scarpenter3...>
Ken,

I live in Stow and bird around Silver Springs/Bow Wow Beach and Stow Community Garden almost every day and live at nearby Darrow Lake. The Turkey Vulture numbers have been high for weeks. There is a pair of fledgling Red-Tailed Hawks at Stow Community Garden, and those Turkey Vultures do NOT like those new raptors in their territory. The day they fledged, there were TUVU all over that communication tower trying to intimidate the fledglings. They returned to that tower for several days but finally gave up on the intimidation tactics.

I think your numbers are a tiny bit higher than I usually see, but not by much. They love to hang out around the brush/mulch area at the top of the hill at Stow Community Gardens net to the EnviroScience building.

Date: 7/28/18 5:16 am
From: Michael Hatfield <000000f92fb7df1d-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Avocet buck creek beach, Clark county
Large wading bird on beach. Pinkish red color, long bluish/gray legs and dark upturned bill. Has flown back and forth along waters edge to avoid maintenance cart.

Mike

Back to top
Date: 7/26/18 7:28 am
From: kent miller <k-cmiller...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Holmes County Spoonbill update
The spoonbill was apparently absent for the second evening in a row last night. For those fortunate enough to have caught a glimpse that first night, an eBird stakeout hotspot has been created as the news we were hearing led us to hope many would get to see it. Please shift your eBird reports to that hotspot. Let me know if you are unsure how to do that.
There is no reason to assume the bird has left the area. Safe to say the neighborhood around CR 207 will keep an eye out and let us know if the bird drops back in to "The Plains" area where it had been seen for several weeks. But it is also worth noting that the bird was last seen flying WNW. That is in the direction of the Killbuck Marsh where it would first come to Holmesville Marsh, Butler Springs and other marshes along Rt 83, then quickly to County Line Road, Force Road and up into the core of the marsh. Favorite spots like Cemetery Rd, Clark Rd, Valley Rd, Wright Marsh and even a bit further such as Prairie Lane & Funk could all be hosting that spoonbill. It's a great time to be exploring those locations anyway as shorebird migration heats up and late summer stray heron dispersion hits its peak.Kent Miller

Back to top
Date: 7/25/18 5:03 am
From: Bob Baran <rjbfly01...>
Subject: Re: [Ohio-birds] Holmes County Roseate Spoonbill update with viewing plans for tonight
That poor bird.

Date: 7/24/18 10:39 am
From: kent miller <k-cmiller...>

Date: 7/24/18 7:13 am
From: Haans Petruschke <haans42...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Junco Residency Project
Hi,

Finding fledgling Juncos starting on the 19th. Here in my yard on
Glidersleeve Mountain and then along the East Branch of the Chagrin River
on the 20th. We had been along the East Branch on the 19th so it may have
just been a day early. We went back to the East Branch area today and
while we did not see any fledglings did catch and band a juvenile male.

We know probable nest site of a male we banded in 2017 pretty well and had
set up close to this but across the service road on the 19th. Today we
first tried just the decoy and recorded song but on the other side of the
service road closer to the probable nest site. We got both the 2017 male
and an unbanded male following him. So we set up the mist net.

The banded male was very savvy and flew around the net several times. The
juvenile bird followed him around once. But then the banded male went over
the net from the opposite direction the juvenile bird did not swoop up and
was caught.

The measurements of this bird were the smallest of the 23 we have banded to
date.

This is the second time we have seen a juvenile male following the breeding
adult like this. We would still like to figure out how to net and band
females, but we seem to have a strategy that works with juvenile males.

Haans

Back to top
Date: 7/23/18 2:18 pm
From: robert lane <ohiomagpie...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Conneaut Harbor Bald Eagle Count Methodology
This is a repeat of an informational posting I did last year.

________________________________
Date: 7/23/18 2:02 pm
From: robert lane <ohiomagpie...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Conneaut Harbor Bald Eagle Gathering / Ashtabula County
My wife Denise and I this morning, Monday, at about 7:00AM, shortly after our arrival out on "The Conneaut Sandspit", did one of our Bald Eagle counts, recording a total of 62 Bald Eagles. From a single spotting scope setup on the sandspit, 8 were seen on the lighthouse breakwall and 31 were lined up on the east breakwall. By 7:15AM we had relocated to the top of the hill overlooking the Conneaut Creek ship channel, the aggregate piles, and the conveyor systems, and added another 21. Our count total included 14 adults and 48 juveniles. By 10:00AM, most of the eagles had already dispersed to wherever for the day. For whatever the reason they are here, I believe this annual happening produces a concentration of more eagles than found anywhere else on Lake Erie, and obviously in Ohio. In past years mid to late July begins the peak concentration. Best viewing is very early morning from "The Sandspit", which is accessible by vehicle. No access fee past the gate to drive out is required, normally until after 11:00AM. During our four and a half hour visit, we recorded 51 species of birds. Some of the highlights were 12 species of shorebirds, which included 4 Whimbrels and 2 Willets, also 14 Common Mergansers, and 2 Least Bitterns, just to name a few. It was a nice calm pleasant morning.

Bob Lane / Mahoning County

Back to top
Date: 7/23/18 6:24 am
From: kent miller <k-cmiller...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Roseate Spoonbill in Holmes County
A Roseate Spoonbill has been seen the last 2 nights around 8:00PM at Eli Schlabach's farm pond at 6531 Township Rd 362, Millersburg near Time & Optics. This is just NW of Bunker Hill in Holmes County. One neighbor boy claims to have seen the bird as early as Tuesday, 7/17. Both Saturday and Sunday the spoonbill arrived at the pond at around 8:00PM and was not there during the day. Birders are welcome to park at Eli's shop and walk south along 362 to look back behind his shop to the pond which is west of 362 and north of 207. Do not walk behind the shop as this will cause many dogs to bark and spook the bird. There doesn't appear to be much reason yet to try during business hours but if you do please don't block his business traffic. Additionally, last night around 9PM the bird was rediscovered in a ditch just west on Road 207. This ditch would be at the second small bridge to the west of 362 on 207. All is private property so all birding must be done from the quiet country road with parking an option at Eli's place.
Kent Miller

Back to top
Date: 7/22/18 1:27 pm
From: Craig Holt <0000005e41671c14-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Conneaut shorebirds etc. this morning
I was at Conneaut harbor from 6:40 AM till 12:30 PM today.  The shorebirding was excellent, with the NE wind and rains.  I ended up with 13 species.  They were: killdeers, 5 semipalmated plovers, 7 whimbrels (a single early and a flock of 6 later), 45 sanderlings (my all-time high for July there),  5 least sandpipers, 3 pectoral sandpipers, 30 semipalmated sandpipers, 3 short-billed dowitchers, a long-billed dowitcher (well viewed and well heard), spotted sandpiper, greater yellowlegs, 2 willets, and 10 lesser yellowlegs.  Other birds seen were 16 common mergansers, 3 bald eagles, Bonaparte's gull, common tern, belted kingfisher, purple martins, and bank swallows.  Craig Holt, Lowellville

Back to top
Date: 7/22/18 8:53 am
From: John Seiler <jseiler6200...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Little Blue Heron
Little Blue Heron Sighted On: Jul 22, 2018 11:52:19 AM

Darby Creek Wetlands

Latitude: 39.91926896, Longitude: -83.20664349
Altitude: 923 ft

Map Location Using Google Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=39.91926896,-83.20664349&ll=39.91926896,-83.20664349

Address: Teal Trail, Galloway, OH 43119, USA

Seen from the Teal Trail.

By John Seiler

Sent By: Report Bird Location Mobile App: @Copy Right 2015 John Seiler

Back to top
Date: 7/22/18 8:01 am
From: Patty McKelvey <pambirds...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Piping Plover - Erie
Sharing from Facebook Birding Ohio post:

“Piping Plover that's still hanging around this morning 07/22/18 Nickel Plate Beach, Huron, Oh. Erie County.” per Kurt Wray

Patty McKelvey
Sent from my iPhone
Oh, that I had the wings of a dove! I would fly away and be at rest.

Back to top
Date: 7/21/18 6:07 am
From: Bruce Simpson <nylebruce...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] L Hope Zaleski- young Warblers and Songbirds
I visited this area once a week over the last 3 weeks By this week I am seeing loose flocks of Warblers and other Songbirds foraging together

Adults foraging with young
Red-eyed Vireo
Warblers
Pine
Worm-eating
Rose-breasted Grosbeak-female-carrying food

Young
Warblers
Hooded- male and female
Kentucky
Prairie
Worm-eating-Adult feeding young
Ovenbird
Black-and-white-male
Vireos
White-eyed
Yellow-throated
Red-eyed
Yellow-breasted Chat
E Kingbird
Brown Thrasher
Baltimore Oriole-male and female
Rose-breasted Grosbeak-male
Scarlet Tanager
Tufted Titmouse
E W Peewee
Red- headed Woodpecker
E Towhee

Misc-Great year for Black Raspberries

Date: 7/20/18 2:33 pm
From: Cole DiFabio <colefor3...>
Subject: Re: [Ohio-birds] Piping Plover - Erie
However, the bird flew off up the river and was not relocated as of 3:30pm.

On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 3:30 PM Patty McKelvey <pambirds...> wrote:

> Sharing from Facebook OH Chase Birds:
>
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47310222
> Bird moved to Huron Pier approx 2pm this afternoon, per Josh Vardous
>
> Patty McKelvey
> Sent from my iPhone
> Oh, that I had the wings of a dove! I would fly away and be at rest.

> Send questions or comments about the list to: <listowner...>
>

> --
Cole DiFabio

Back to top

Date: 7/19/18 1:19 pm
From: Terry Bronson <tbronsonbirds...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Shorebirds arriving in Washington County, and a few other surprises
A few shorebirds have arrived in the Mid-Ohio Valley presaging the fall
migration. Most notable birds of the day--all in Washington County
northeast of Marietta:

Newell Run wetlands:

Wood Duck--16
Great Blue Heron--2
Green Heron--2
Killdeer--4
Solitary Sandpiper--1
Spotted Sandpiper--2
Belted Kingfisher--1
Cedar Waxwing--8, including my first juvenile of the year.
Rose-breasted Grosbeak--1 very unexpected male. Very handsome.

Frontier boat launch on Ohio River:

Orchard Oriole--2. The first bird I saw hiding in shrubs along the river
had a wide-gaped mouth and plain head with a dark eye. It was sort of
yellowish with faint wingbars. I really wasn't sure if it was an oriole or
maybe a White-eyed Vireo juvenile. Finally a female Orchard Oriole flitted
in nearby to convince me it was an oriole.

Leith Run Recreation Area:

This area was closed to vehicles and looked abandoned, with many tree
branches lying on the ground, the grass unmowed, and debris clogging the
boat launch. A few areas looked like they may have been underwater in this
spring's floods. As I was leaving the worker who had been mowing at the
Frontier boat launch arrived with his mower, so maybe the place will be
cleaned up and re-opened soon.

Wood Duck--6
Killdeer--3
Spotted Sandpiper--1
American Redstart--3
Cerulean Warbler--2
Hooded Warbler--1

Ohio View Trail from the Route 7 trailhead was blocked by fallen trees
after 100 yards, and there was a strong smell of gas, so I abandoned my
hike.

The other end of that trail comes out on Route 260, so I hiked in a ways
from that end:

Yellow-billed Cuckoo--1 carrying food
Worm-eating Warbler--2
Hooded Warbler--1 carrying food, then seen a few minutes later singing.
Scarlet Tanager--1 male
Indigo Bunting--1 female or juvenile

Terry Bronson
Vienna, WV

Back to top
Date: 7/17/18 10:11 am
From: Haans Petruschke <haans42...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Dark-eyed Junco residency project first Juv bird banded
Hi,

We banded our first juvenile Dark-eyed Junco this morning. A male who
followed a territorial male into the net.

It was behavior we have seen before without catching a second bird. The
breeding males are very dark slate gray. They come to the decoy and
aggressively go after it. In other instances as today we have observed
other birds accompanying the aggressive breeding male and staying close
by.

Today we had three birds near the decoy. One was high and behaving
aggressively. One was on the ground and passive. The third was hanging
well back and not well observed.

When the territorial male went into the net the bird on the ground stayed
right there. I approached the net and the bird remained allowing me to get
very close (within a few feet). He went under the net and then got caught
coming back toward me from the other side.

The measurements of the non aggressive bird showed it to have a smaller
beak and much shorter wing cord than the dark territorial male.
Additionally this bird was much lighter gray and still showed a slight bit
of streaking in the breast feathers.

We have now color banded 23 birds in 5 locations around Holden and
Kirtland. This was a new location today because we were doing a program
for the education department to demonstrate our research and needed to be
within easy walking distance of the visitor center.

Haans

Back to top
Date: 7/17/18 7:45 am
From: Terry Bronson <tbronsonbirds...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Mississippi Kite still in Hocking County
The adult reported yesterday at Top of the Caves Campground on Chapel Ridge
Road was soaring over the office at 10:35 this morning. Great views.

The lady in the office was cooperative in allowing me to wander around and
interested to see what it looked like. Note this is a private campground so
please check in at the office first.

Terry Bronson
Vienna, WV

Back to top
Date: 7/15/18 8:49 am
From: Coy, Patrick G. <pcoy...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Hocking Co Miss Kite present
The Mississippi Kite reported a few days ago at the Top of the Caves campground on Chapel Hill Road in Hocking County was present Sunday at about 11:30 a.m.

Pat
Peninsula, OH