ND-BIRDS
Received From Subject
6/10/19 6:26 am Igl, Lawrence <00000be0ce9bdf08-dmarc-request...> [ND-BIRDS] Eastern Wood-Pewee, Yellow-billed Cuckoo
6/7/19 3:31 pm Igl, Lawrence <00000be0ce9bdf08-dmarc-request...> [ND-BIRDS] Long-eared Owl, Northern Mockingbird
6/2/19 10:19 am Jean Legge <jmlegge198...> Re: [ND-BIRDS] black-billed cuckoo
6/2/19 6:43 am Jean Legge <jmlegge198...> [ND-BIRDS] Cuckoo
5/31/19 8:47 pm G & J Sailer <00000584998ccf59-dmarc-request...> [ND-BIRDS] Mockingbird
5/29/19 9:00 pm G & J Sailer <00000584998ccf59-dmarc-request...> [ND-BIRDS] Scarlet Tanager - Hettinger
5/27/19 10:59 am Jean Legge <jmlegge198...> [ND-BIRDS] tanager, bunting
5/27/19 8:48 am Jean Legge <jmlegge198...> [ND-BIRDS] flycatchers
5/27/19 6:02 am Charles Taft <00000badc4f547be-dmarc-request...> [ND-BIRDS] Photo request
5/25/19 7:04 pm Jim Fuglie <jimfuglie920...> [ND-BIRDS] Black-headed grosbeak
5/25/19 4:41 pm Daniel Graham <daniel.l.graham...> [ND-BIRDS] Magnolia Warbler - Adams County
5/22/19 9:33 am Corey Ellingson <crackerjackbirder...> Re: [ND-BIRDS] WORM-EATING WARBLER
5/21/19 3:13 pm Charlotte Jacobson <charjacobson61...> Re: [ND-BIRDS] WORM-EATING WARBLER
5/21/19 1:03 pm Corey Ellingson <crackerjackbirder...> [ND-BIRDS] WORM-EATING WARBLER

Back to top
Date: 6/10/19 6:26 am
From: Igl, Lawrence <00000be0ce9bdf08-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [ND-BIRDS] Eastern Wood-Pewee, Yellow-billed Cuckoo
I heard an Eastern Wood-Pewee singing and a Yellow-billed Cuckoo calling in
our neighborhood in northeast Jamestown early on Saturday morning. I
haven't heard them since. Hopefully, the cuckoo eats some of the tent
caterpillars in our neighbor's tree!

Lawrence D. Igl, PhD
Research Ecologist
U.S.G.S. Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center
8711 37th Street SE
Jamestown, North Dakota 58401-7317
Phone: 701-253-5511
Fax: 701-253-5553
E-mail: <ligl...>
Internet: www.npwrc.usgs.gov

Back to top
Date: 6/7/19 3:31 pm
From: Igl, Lawrence <00000be0ce9bdf08-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [ND-BIRDS] Long-eared Owl, Northern Mockingbird
I recorded a Long-eared Owl at one of the stops on a new (temporary)
Breeding Bird Survey (BBS) route, in a windbreak a couple miles southeast
of Kulm (Lamoure County), 6 June 2019.

Matt Solensky reported a Northern Mockingbird in northwest Stutsman County,
6 June 2019.

Date: 6/2/19 10:19 am
From: Jean Legge <jmlegge198...>
Subject: Re: [ND-BIRDS] black-billed cuckoo
Sorry, for to mention the cuckoo's full name-
Black-billed Cuckoo.

Jean Legge
11512 32J St. SE
Valley City, ND 58072

Back to top
Date: 6/2/19 6:43 am
From: Jean Legge <jmlegge198...>
Subject: [ND-BIRDS] Cuckoo
Barnes County, June 2nd
Rural Valley City

Cuckoo calling from tree rows yesterday and today. Cool. On time for
migration.
Jean Legge

Back to top
Date: 5/31/19 8:47 pm
From: G & J Sailer <00000584998ccf59-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [ND-BIRDS] Mockingbird
Birders --
Around suppertime this evening we had a Northern Mockingbird drinking from the birdbath in the back yard.
Jan SailerHettinger

Back to top
Date: 5/29/19 9:00 pm
From: G & J Sailer <00000584998ccf59-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [ND-BIRDS] Scarlet Tanager - Hettinger
Birders --
About 6 p.m this evening we got a call from a friend here who lives at Mirror Lake at the edge of town after sighting a male Scarlet Tanager.  We hustled right down, found it and watched it for 20 to 30 minutes foraging in large trees not yet leafed out.  A lifer for my husband and one on a very short list for me!  The actual location was the south edge of the lake, just a few yards from the spillway.  Oddly enough, our friend, Josh Ranum, had seen a male Scarlet Tanager almost exactly a year ago very near the same spot.  What fun!
Jan SailerHettinger

Back to top
Date: 5/27/19 10:59 am
From: Jean Legge <jmlegge198...>
Subject: [ND-BIRDS] tanager, bunting
May 27, 1 pm Barnes County
Rural Valley City

At yard by feeders,

1 mature male Scarlet Tanager
1 mature Indigo Bunting

Jean Legge
11512 32J St. SE
Valley City, ND 58072

Back to top
Date: 5/27/19 8:48 am
From: Jean Legge <jmlegge198...>
Subject: [ND-BIRDS] flycatchers
Barnes County, May 25, 2019
Rural Valley City

Least flycatcher - saw one this morning, heard one a few days ago.
Olive-sided flycatcher
Cape May Warbler showed up this morning.
3 Ruby-throated hummingbirds are still here-1 female, 2 males, hence the
many air battles. One by the honeyberry garden is still there; I'm not sure
if this is another one or part of the same troupe.

Other birds- never have so many, stayed for so long, fought so many fights,
eaten so much jelly, and they haven't left yet.
I've never seen Tennessee warblers fighting, right down to the ground,
literally. 3 of them at once.

Voles are eating my flowers. It's war now.

Jean Legge
11512 32J St. SE
Valley City, ND 58072

Back to top
Date: 5/27/19 6:02 am
From: Charles Taft <00000badc4f547be-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [ND-BIRDS] Photo request
Would some of you who were on the recent NDBS gathering in Linton be willing to share a photo or two? I am putting together some of mine and plan on paying a visit to Sherry Leslie and showing her some photos, drink a cup of coffee and see how she is doing. I think she would appreciate seeing a few of the nice birds that we saw even in the kinda lousy weather. My email is there. I will NOT share these photos anywhere else and will trash when done with my little project.

Thanks for your consideration,

Charles J Taft
<cjtaft...>
129 25th St SW
Minot, ND. 58701

Back to top
Date: 5/25/19 7:04 pm
From: Jim Fuglie <jimfuglie920...>
Subject: [ND-BIRDS] Black-headed grosbeak
We've had a black-headed grosbeak hanging around our feeder in Highland
Acres in Bismarck the last couple of days.

Back to top
Date: 5/25/19 4:41 pm
From: Daniel Graham <daniel.l.graham...>
Subject: [ND-BIRDS] Magnolia Warbler - Adams County
We just had a male Magnolia Warbler in the trees by my house in Hettinger
if anyone needs that for Adams County. I just checked eBird and I guess
Jack and Ron saw one yesterday around Mirror Lake. Probably the same bird
since I can see Mirror Lake from my house.

-Dan Graham

Back to top
Date: 5/22/19 9:33 am
From: Corey Ellingson <crackerjackbirder...>
Subject: Re: [ND-BIRDS] WORM-EATING WARBLER
Greetings,
I am told the Worm-eating continues as of 11:25am - north side of 523 on E Ave B and N 1st St, Bismarck.
Corey Ellingson
Bismarck, ND
On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 03:03 PM, Corey Ellingson wrote: Greetings,
Dale Heinert found a WORM-EATING WARBLER in downtown Bismarck this afternoon for those not on Ebird. Birds are on the sidewalk and driveways eating elm buds. Street cleaners went through the neighborhood yesterday, so nothing on the streets. House was 510 N. Mandan St. The bird was on the sidewalk on both sides of Mandan St, along with Yellow, Tennessee, Blackpoll and a Mourning.
Here is Dale's Ebird checklist with location.
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56586036 (https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56586036)
Good Birding!
Corey Ellingson
Bismarck, ND

Back to top
Date: 5/21/19 3:13 pm
From: Charlotte Jacobson <charjacobson61...>
That was an awesome siting Dale. Happy for you.

On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 3:03 PM Corey Ellingson <
<crackerjackbirder...> wrote:

> Greetings,
> Dale Heinert found a WORM-EATING WARBLER in downtown Bismarck this
> afternoon for those not on Ebird. Birds are on the sidewalk and driveways
> eating elm buds. Street cleaners went through the neighborhood yesterday,
> so nothing on the streets. House was 510 N. Mandan St
> <https://maps.google.com/?q=510+N.+Mandan+St&entry=gmail&source=g>. The
> bird was on the sidewalk on both sides of Mandan St, along with Yellow,
> Tennessee, Blackpoll and a Mourning.
>

> Here is Dale's Ebird checklist with location.
>

> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56586036
>

> Good Birding!
>

> Corey Ellingson
> Bismarck, ND

Back to top
Date: 5/21/19 1:03 pm
From: Corey Ellingson <crackerjackbirder...>
Subject: [ND-BIRDS] WORM-EATING WARBLER
Greetings,
Dale Heinert found a WORM-EATING WARBLER in downtown Bismarck this afternoon for those not on Ebird. Birds are on the sidewalk and driveways eating elm buds. Street cleaners went through the neighborhood yesterday, so nothing on the streets. House was 510 N. Mandan St. The bird was on the sidewalk on both sides of Mandan St, along with Yellow, Tennessee, Blackpoll and a Mourning.
Here is Dale's Ebird checklist with location.
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56586036 (https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56586036)
Good Birding!
Corey Ellingson
Bismarck, ND