ND-BIRDS
Received From Subject
9/13/19 6:35 am Jean Legge <jmlegge198...> [ND-BIRDS] hummer still here
9/2/19 7:45 pm carlcs <carlcs...> [ND-BIRDS] Warblers
8/23/19 11:34 am Igl, Lawrence <00000be0ce9bdf08-dmarc-request...> [ND-BIRDS] Fall migrants, Snowy Owl

Back to top
Date: 9/13/19 6:35 am
From: Jean Legge <jmlegge198...>
Subject: [ND-BIRDS] hummer still here
Barnes County, rural Valley City
September 13, 2019

Ruby-throated Hummingbird at the feeder- still here with the cold, wet
weather and fluffed up to stay warm.

Jean Legge
11512 32J St. SE
Valley City, ND 58072

Back to top
Date: 9/2/19 7:45 pm
From: carlcs <carlcs...>
Subject: [ND-BIRDS] Warblers
I saw the Blackburnian and the Black-throated Blue Warbler today north of the Buffalo by the gravel road, also saw Nashville, Myrtle and Yellow Warblers.
Carl Stangeland
Jamestown

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Back to top
Date: 8/23/19 11:34 am
From: Igl, Lawrence <00000be0ce9bdf08-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [ND-BIRDS] Fall migrants, Snowy Owl
I saw a few fall migrants at Northern Prairie yesterday, including

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher (one, singing)
Least Flycatcher (one, singing).
Black-throated Blue Warbler (male, singing occasionally, fall plumage,
responded to Black-throated Blue Warbler playback).
Warbling Vireo (popped out of brush during Black-throated Blue Warbler
playback).
American Redstart (juvenile, appeared to be begging to an adult Song
Sparrow).
Wilson's Warbler (one or maybe two males, fall plumage, singing)
Yellow Warbler (several males and one female).

I only heard/saw the Wilson's Warbler and Yellow Warblers at lunchtime
today.

Three to six Ruby-throated Hummingbirds have been visiting our hummingbird
feeder in ne Jamestown during the past week. This is the first year in
many years that we did not have a resident pair of hummingbirds at our
feeders during the summer.

There is a Mourning Dove incubating two eggs in a nest in a hawthorn shrub
at Northern Prairie. The bird has been on the nest since at least Wednesday
of last week. This is late, but I have seen Mourning Doves nesting into
September in ND.

The adult male Snowy Owl that gained notoriety for hanging around the mall,
Burger King, and other businesses in western Jamestown for the past few
weeks has died. A dead Snowy Owl was reported by Chris Zinke today on the
I-94 on-ramp near the Jamestown Regional Medical Center. Matt Solensky
estimated that it died by collision with a vehicle, probably within the
past 24 hours.

Lawrence D. Igl, PhD
Research Ecologist
U.S.G.S. Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center
8711 37th Street SE
Jamestown, North Dakota 58401-7317
Phone: 701-253-5511
Fax: 701-253-5553