inland-nw-birders
Received From Subject
10/20/18 9:04 am Carl Lundblad <carl.lundblad...> Re: [inland-NW-birders] Mew Gull in CDA
10/19/18 3:26 pm Terry O'Halloran <terryohal...> [inland-NW-birders] Mann Lake
10/19/18 1:00 pm Charles Swift <chaetura...> Re: [inland-NW-birders] Moscow (Paradise Creek), Swamp Sparrow, 10/19/18
10/19/18 12:55 pm Ben Bright <bencbright...> Re: [inland-NW-birders] Moscow (Paradise Creek), Swamp Sparrow, 10/19/18
10/19/18 12:46 pm Charles Swift <chaetura...> [inland-NW-birders] Moscow (Paradise Creek), Swamp Sparrow, 10/19/18
10/19/18 9:27 am Mike & MerryLynn <m.denny...> [inland-NW-birders] Brewer's Blackbird partial albino
10/18/18 3:17 pm Terry Little <terry...> [inland-NW-birders] Mt Spokane Summit Closed
10/18/18 3:09 pm Isacoff, Jon <isacoff...> [inland-NW-birders] Slavin late shorebirds
10/18/18 8:09 am Karl Kosciuch <kosciuch...> [inland-NW-birders] Evening grosbeak, Moscow
10/16/18 7:21 pm Isacoff, Jon <isacoff...> [inland-NW-birders] sprague
10/15/18 2:53 pm Keith Carlson <kec201814...> [inland-NW-birders] Asotin County Pectoral Sandpipers
10/14/18 9:25 pm David McNeely <davmcneely40...> [inland-NW-birders] Mill Canyon Road
10/12/18 9:23 pm Mike & MerryLynn <m.denny...> [inland-NW-birders] Surf Scoters WWCo.
10/11/18 10:05 am Carl Lundblad <carl.lundblad...> [inland-NW-birders] UI Arboretum including late Townsend's Warbler
10/10/18 2:22 pm Michael Hobbs <birdmarymoor...> [inland-NW-birders] Late Lazuli in Mill Canyon
10/10/18 2:12 pm Catherine Temple <ctemple99...> [inland-NW-birders] egret update
10/10/18 10:42 am Lindell Haggin <lindell4118...> [inland-NW-birders] Great Egrets
10/10/18 9:40 am Terry Little <terry...> [inland-NW-birders] Wandermere Lake, Mead
10/10/18 8:59 am Catherine Temple <ctemple99...> [inland-NW-birders] great egrets
10/9/18 10:57 pm Jacob Elonen <mrjacobeee...> [inland-NW-birders] Lincoln/Spokane county birding.
10/9/18 2:50 pm Keith Carlson <kec201814...> [inland-NW-birders] Tundra Swan
10/8/18 10:54 pm <sherrylee-1...> [inland-NW-birders] Surf Scoters @ Priest Lake ID (photos attached)
10/8/18 12:19 pm Michael Woodruff <mkd.woodruff...> [inland-NW-birders] Turnbull Lewis's Woodpecker, Philleo White-faced Ibis
10/8/18 11:10 am Catherine Temple <ctemple99...> [inland-NW-birders] Interesting mix
10/8/18 7:42 am Carl Lundblad <carl.lundblad...> [inland-NW-birders] Moscow to Valley County
10/7/18 6:29 pm Isacoff, Jon <isacoff...> [inland-NW-birders] Mill Canyon Swamp Sparrow
10/7/18 9:21 am Tim O'Brien <kertim7179...> [inland-NW-birders] Silver Lake Pacific Loon and more (Spokane Co.)
10/6/18 4:45 pm <mikescott7...> Re: [inland-NW-birders] Swamp Sparrow near Cottonwood, Idaho
10/6/18 3:40 pm Isacoff, Jon <isacoff...> [inland-NW-birders] Slavin shorebirds
10/6/18 11:52 am Carl Lundblad <carl.lundblad...> [inland-NW-birders] Swamp Sparrow near Cottonwood, Idaho
10/6/18 9:22 am Carl Lundblad <carl.lundblad...> [inland-NW-birders] Swamp Sparrow near Mann Lake
10/5/18 1:25 pm Terry O'Halloran <terryohal...> [inland-NW-birders] Mann Lake
10/5/18 9:14 am Michael Woodruff <mkd.woodruff...> [inland-NW-birders] Spokane County Pacific Loon, Surf Scoters
10/4/18 5:20 pm Isacoff, Jon <isacoff...> [inland-NW-birders] Sprague Scoters
10/4/18 4:35 pm Doug Ward <dougward...> [inland-NW-birders] Black-throated Gray Warbler-Hayden, ID
10/2/18 11:37 am donna bragg <1donnabragg...> [inland-NW-birders] Ferry WHITE-THROATED SPARROW and GOLDEN CROWNED SPARROW
9/30/18 12:04 pm Norma Trefry <firsttrefry...> [inland-NW-birders] Pend Oreille Co birds
9/29/18 7:38 pm Mike & MerryLynn <m.denny...> [inland-NW-birders] Rough-legged Hawk -WWCo.
9/25/18 5:33 am Matt Bartels <mattxyz...> [inland-NW-birders] New tool: Seasonal Abundance one-sheets for WA birds - available on WOS website
9/22/18 11:21 am Keith Carlson <kec201814...> [inland-NW-birders] Mann Lake White-faced Ibis

Back to top
Date: 10/20/18 9:04 am
From: Carl Lundblad <carl.lundblad...>
Subject: Re: [inland-NW-birders] Mew Gull in CDA
Sorry, that should read 100 meters WEST of Independence Point.

Carl

On Saturday, October 20, 2018, Carl Lundblad <carl.lundblad...>
wrote:

> An attractive first-winter MEW GULL was 100 meters south of Independence
> Point in downtown Coeur d’Alene this morning.
>
> Good Birding,
>
> Carl Lunblad
> Moscow, ID

Back to top
Date: 10/19/18 3:26 pm
From: Terry O'Halloran <terryohal...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Mann Lake
Water level is dropping fast at the lake but lots of bird activity. New
arrivals include 34 Boneparte’s gulls and 10 tundra swans.

There are still 21 long billed dowitchers hanging out and at least 9
western grebes as well as 2 great blue herons.

Ducks include mallards, pintails, shovelers, wigeons, buffleheads, and
green winged teal.

Of course there were lots of Canada geese and coots.

Terry O’Halloran

Back to top
Date: 10/19/18 1:00 pm
From: Charles Swift <chaetura...>
Subject: Re: [inland-NW-birders] Moscow (Paradise Creek), Swamp Sparrow, 10/19/18
That's it, thanks Ben! There were several Song Sparrows in the vicinity as
well. Minor clarification to my original email, bird was heard/seen from
the north side but was down in the creek bed the entire time (except
briefly in bordering shrubs). It's a nice beaver-flooded area with quite a
bit of wet tall grasses in the creek bed.

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 12:55 PM Ben Bright <bencbright...> wrote:

> Here's a bad picture (I think, or this is a Song Sparrow):
> [image: IMG_5562.JPG]
>
> On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 12:46 PM Charles Swift <chaetura...> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I just found a Swamp Sparrow along Paradise Creek on the south side of
>> Moscow. It was long the section of the creek between S. Main St. and
>> College St., that is bordered on the south by Paradise Path and the large
>> U. of Idaho Blue parking lot. It was closer to the east end, perhaps 100
>> yards from S. Main St., but anywhere along there looks good. I found it
>> from the north side of the creek by the vacant lot but should be accessible
>> from either side. It was initially calling but popped into view after a bit
>> of playback. Ben Bright was trying to get photos when I left.
>>
>> thanks, Charles.
>> --
>> Charles Swift
>> Moscow, Idaho
>> <chaetura...>

> --
Charles Swift
Moscow, Idaho
<chaetura...>

Back to top
Date: 10/19/18 12:55 pm
From: Ben Bright <bencbright...>
Here's a bad picture (I think, or this is a Song Sparrow):
[image: IMG_5562.JPG]

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 12:46 PM Charles Swift <chaetura...> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I just found a Swamp Sparrow along Paradise Creek on the south side of
> Moscow. It was long the section of the creek between S. Main St. and
> College St., that is bordered on the south by Paradise Path and the large
> U. of Idaho Blue parking lot. It was closer to the east end, perhaps 100
> yards from S. Main St., but anywhere along there looks good. I found it
> from the north side of the creek by the vacant lot but should be accessible
> from either side. It was initially calling but popped into view after a bit
> of playback. Ben Bright was trying to get photos when I left.
>
> thanks, Charles.
> --
> Charles Swift
> Moscow, Idaho
> <chaetura...>

Back to top

Date: 10/19/18 9:27 am
From: Mike & MerryLynn <m.denny...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Brewer's Blackbird partial albino
Hello all,

We have seen many blackbirds with some white - but this one is
exceptional - pic on Blue Mountain Audubon FB page - scroll down to
October 7. This bird was at the Dodd Rd blood pond.

Enjoy, M&ML

https://www.facebook.com/BlueMountainAudubonWallaWallaWa?fref=ts

--
Mike & MerryLynn Denny
Birding the Beautiful Walla Walla Valley

Back to top
Date: 10/18/18 3:17 pm
From: Terry Little <terry...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Mt Spokane Summit Closed
Hello,

I learned this morning that the summit road to Mt Spokane is (already) closed for the season. Kind of a bummer in that there is no snow on the mountain yet and both snow buntings and rosy finches have recently been seen up on top. The mountain can still be good as we move into the fall. I have had rosy finches in parking lot several times and pine grosbeaks can be anywhere along the road to the ski lodge as well as Selkirk.

Blessings
Terry Little
Mead, Wa

Back to top
Date: 10/18/18 3:09 pm
From: Isacoff, Jon <isacoff...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Slavin late shorebirds
Slavin Ranch today was about as birdy as I recall it for 2nd half October with 48 species observed. Most notable were shorebirds including an incredibly late BLACK-NECKED STILT. This is the latest Spokane Co. record by a full month! Looking on the eBird map, it seems there about 15 October records for Eastern WA and N. Idaho but all but 3 are from 2018, indicating a mini-regional pattern. Others shorebirds present at Slavin:

22 - Killdeer
3 - Pectoral Sandpiper
31 - Long-billed Dowitcher
1 - LESSER YELLOWLEGS (also late but not as late)

Good birding,
Jon Isacoff, Spokane

Back to top
Date: 10/18/18 8:09 am
From: Karl Kosciuch <kosciuch...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Evening grosbeak, Moscow
I just had a flock of eight evening grosbeak fly over 6th Street and
Jefferson near downtown Moscow. I have not been in town long, but do not
think this bird is very common within the city limits.

Back to top
Date: 10/16/18 7:21 pm
From: Isacoff, Jon <isacoff...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] sprague
Bird numbers and diversity at Sprague today were WAY down save for the large rafts of Bufflehead, Ruddy Ducks, and Coots. Notable birds observed

1 SURF SCOTER (Lincoln)
Townsend’s Solitaire (Lincoln)
FOS Northern Shrike (Lincoln)
FOS Rough-legged Hawk (Adams)
Lapland Longspur (Adams)

Good birding,
Jon Isacoff, Spokane

Back to top
Date: 10/15/18 2:53 pm
From: Keith Carlson <kec201814...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Asotin County Pectoral Sandpipers
After receiving a call from Rick Welle, I was able to go Swallows Park and photograph the five Pectoral Sandpipers he found this noon.This is a rare cat 5 Asotin County bird- all appear to be juvenilesKeith E CarlsonLewiston

Back to top
Date: 10/14/18 9:25 pm
From: David McNeely <davmcneely40...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Mill Canyon Road
Sorry for the non-bird question, but I will be birding when I go there.

Please, what is the Mill Canyon Road like? In particular, is it readily
driveable in a typical sedan or passenger van? On maps, I see a fairly
steep area at one location near Green Canyon, and wonder what the clearance
is like there.

Thanks, David McNeely

Back to top
Date: 10/12/18 9:23 pm
From: Mike & MerryLynn <m.denny...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Surf Scoters WWCo.
Hello all,

Successful scoter search today - 6 above Ice Harbor Dam - #261 for our
county yearlist. One more new yearbird will tie our record of 262 in 2012.

Beautiful weather today - we walked the Millet Pond this morning - won't
be doing that for a long time - hunting season starts tomorrow and
doesn't end until January 31. Fortunately there is NO hunting there
after 12 noon so we can walk in the afternoons.

There was one Snow Goose below Ice Harbor dam - on the island with the
cormorants and gulls.

Osprey are staying around - had 4 on Wednesday - 3 today.

Good fall birding, MerryLynn

Date: 10/11/18 10:05 am
From: Carl Lundblad <carl.lundblad...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] UI Arboretum including late Townsend's Warbler
It was a great frosty fall morning in the University of Idaho Arboretum and
Botanical Gardens in Moscow. The highlight was my latest-for-Idaho
TOWNSEND'S WARBLER. I've repeatedly broken that personal record in the
last couple of weeks, but this one will become the latest eBird record for
all of North Idaho (pending acceptance). Other nice birds included a
minimum of 2 MYRTLE YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS, 3 late CHIPPING SPARROWS, a
small flock of Western Bluebirds, an intergrade Northern Flicker, a
Slate-colored/Cassiar-type junco, and the first Pine Siskin I've around
Moscow this fall. Still decent numbers of Audubon's Warblers and both
Kinglets, but many of these flew over to forage in ash trees in the SE
corner of the golf course after sunrise.

Full list on eBird: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49117851.

Good Birding,

Carl Lundblad
Moscow, ID

Back to top
Date: 10/10/18 2:22 pm
From: Michael Hobbs <birdmarymoor...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Late Lazuli in Mill Canyon
I drove down to the bottom of Mill Canyon in Lincoln County today, and
while scoping the river, I heard a distinctive chip note I couldn't
immediately place. I was actually hoping for the Swamp Sparrow that was
reported a few days ago, but the call wasn't quite right.

I was shocked to finally find the bird, which turned out to be a young male
(I believe) LAZULI BUNTING), a startling late date for this species.

The metalic blue rump, with the color extending faintly onto the tail
caught my eye first. The breast was peachy. The back was drab, somewhere
between blue, gray, and black. The face was plain, with a faint eyering.
The bill was conical and pale. I only saw one wingbar. The bird was
notably smaller than a Western Bluebird.

Once I'd identified the bird visually, I belatedly recognized the
unexpected chip note.

Also in those bushes at the left turn from where the river can be scoped
was a juvenile Common Yellowthroat.

On my way down Mill Canyon Rd., I also found a couple of Golden-crowned
Sparrows.

- Michael Hobbs

Back to top
Date: 10/10/18 2:12 pm
From: Catherine Temple <ctemple99...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] egret update
At 1:30 pm there was an additional egret at Swallows Park bringing the
total to four.
Fun to see!

--

*Catherine Temple*

*Pet Portrait and Wildlife Artist*

*Clarkston, WA.(208) 791-7052*
<ctemple99...>

www.catherinetemple.com
www.flickr.com/photos/ctemple/

Back to top
Date: 10/10/18 10:42 am
From: Lindell Haggin <lindell4118...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Great Egrets
There were three Great Egrets about 1/4 mile after the entrance to Turnbull on Monday afternoon.

Lindell Haggin
509-466-4118

"Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts." Rachel Carson

Back to top
Date: 10/10/18 9:40 am
From: Terry Little <terry...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Wandermere Lake, Mead

Hello, there is presently a female Surf Scoter and a Western Grebe on Wandermere Lake (golf course) in Mead, north of Spokane.
Blessings
Terry Little
Mead, Wa
Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 10/10/18 8:59 am
From: Catherine Temple <ctemple99...>
Just came from Swallows Park (8:45 a.m.) and there are three great egrets
at the boat launch mudflats.
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49097304

Date: 10/9/18 10:57 pm
From: Jacob Elonen <mrjacobeee...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Lincoln/Spokane county birding.
Earlier today I decided to brace the rain and chase after some recent
sightings in Lincoln and Spokane county. I had a great day. First I headed
to Old Kucks Rd at sunrise to find the Short-eared Owl seen there
yesterday. After 10 minutes I spotted it perched on a wooden post just off
the side of the road. I then headed to the Davenport Cemetery to catch the
golden-crowned sparrow seen the day before. Sure enough, as soon as I
reached the brush pile at the edge of the cemetery, I watched 2 of them
climb to the top and stare at me. I then headed to Mill Canyon where a
swamp sparrow was seen 2 days ago. On my way down the canyon I picked up
plenty of Ruby-crowned Kinglets and Yellow-rumped warblers and picked up a
couple of new birds such as Western bluebirds and Clark's Nutcrackers. I
heard a loud shriek and watched as two Red-tailed Hawks flew to the top of
a hill and fought. 2 bald eagles were also fighting over the river. After
scanning the river I saw a bird fly onto a bush right in front of me and
immediately recognized it as the Swamp Sparrow seen in this area just 2
days ago. Everything was going better than I hoped for at this point. I
next headed to Granite lake to look for the Surf Scoters seen recently. No
luck, but I saw plenty of other waterfowl including male Common Goldeneyes
and Buffleheads. Then I headed to Philleo Lake in search of the White-faced
Ibis. I didn't find it but I did see a beautiful Great horned Owl and 3
Trumpeter Swans. Finally before I headed home I headed to Turnbull but only
had time to drive through the auto tour loop. Western bluebirds and
Yellow-Rumped warblers dominated the scene with plenty of northern flickers
as well. I only saw one Great Egret (flyover) and a lone American White
Pelican sat in the last pond of the loop. Overall, this was one of my best
birding trips since I started this hobby in June. It's great to have a
website like Ebird that let's you know exactly what to look for wherever
you happen to be going.

Jacob Elonen
Post Falls, ID

Back to top
Date: 10/9/18 2:50 pm
From: Keith Carlson <kec201814...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Tundra Swan
at 1230 there was a single, adult Tundra Swan at the mouth of Alpowa Ck / Snake RiverKeith CarlsonLewiston

Back to top
Date: 10/8/18 10:54 pm
From: <sherrylee-1...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Surf Scoters @ Priest Lake ID (photos attached)
On Sunday, October 6, two Surf Scoters swam by our dock on Priest Lake. This is rare for us in the fall. They look like juveniles.

Also seen (or heard) October 5 - 7:

Gray Jays

Kingfisher

Stellers Jays

Red Breasted Nuthatches

Flocks of Chestnut-backed Chickadees

Northern Flicker

Pileated Woodpecker

Ravens (with some wonderful 'glunking' 'under-water' calls)

Eared Grebes

Western Grebes

Mergansers

Eagle fly-over

Northern Flying Squirrel(s)

Northern Red Squirrels

Chipmunk

Osprey Juvenile left a month ago ~9/13, parents left ~Labor Day, 2nd sibling left also

No Kokanee gathering as yet for spawning

Back to top
Date: 10/8/18 12:19 pm
From: Michael Woodruff <mkd.woodruff...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Turnbull Lewis's Woodpecker, Philleo White-faced Ibis
I birded Turnbull NWR and Philleo Lake this morning. On the auto loop at
Turnbull, on the south side of the road across from the Kepple Peninsula
Trail, in the vicinity of 47.437178,-117.532674, I found a Lewis's
Woodpecker in an active flock of flickers, nuthatches, bluebirds, and
Yellow-rumped Warblers. The flock seemed to be on the move and would likely
be hard to relocate. One Greater Yellowlegs was with a few Long-billed
Dowitchers at the last pond on the loop. Just west of where the loop meets
the main road again, there were a surprising 10 Great Egrets. First there
were two, and then they kept lifting into the air from out of sight in the
marsh, all landing together in a dead pine.

Philleo Lake had a fair number of birds. Viewed in breaks between the
pines, there were 9 Trumpeter and 1 Tundra Swan, there were 3 more Greater
Yellowlegs and 11 Long-billed Dowitchers, and most notable there was a lone
White-faced Ibis on the far shore near the SW end of the lake.

Just east from there, along Jennings Rd east of the farm house, 6 Pectoral
Sandpipers and 24 more LB Dowitchers were on the mud.

Michael Woodruff
Spokane, WA

Back to top
Date: 10/8/18 11:10 am
From: Catherine Temple <ctemple99...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Interesting mix
The ducks are starting to arrive at Swallows Park. I saw the first
returning bufflehead this morning along with mallards, teal, widgeon, a few
pintail, gadwall, Canada geese and many coots. Also mixed in was a western
grebe and a pied-billed grebe. Further down towards Asotin I found a small
flock of northern shovellers and a noisy group of common mergansers.

Date: 10/8/18 7:42 am
From: Carl Lundblad <carl.lundblad...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Moscow to Valley County
I had a fine time birding the US-95 corridor from Moscow to Valley County,
this weekend. Saturday was rainy fall birding at its best starting at Mann
Lake which still had a few PECTORAL SANDPIPERS, Long-billed Dowitchers, and
a small heard of Audubon's Warblers. Below the dam, the Mann Lake outflow
crosses Res Line Road, and at that crossing I found the cooperative SWAMP
SPARROW (photos and details on eBird:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48977947). Winchester Lake State Park
had a late Osprey.

The Camas Prairie was pretty socked-in, and it was apparently grounding
Long-billed Dowitchers. I had only one actually on the ground, at the
Craigmont Sewage Ponds (with 7 W. Grebes, my first at that location), but
another 18 Dowitchers came flying randomly over Craigmont City Park a
little while later, and 2 more were in the air circling below the cloud
deck and above the Ferdinand Sewage Pond. I headed towards the Monastery
of St. Gertrude, near Cottonwood, and stopped at a small sewage pond across
the highway. Here I quickly heard and then saw another SWAMP SPARROW
(photos on eBird: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48982665). The
Monastery grounds were hopping with up to 50 Audubon's Warblers, several
Myrtle Warblers, a late Orange-crowned Warbler, and other migrants. Tolo
Lake, outside Grangeville, had lots of migrant waterbirds including,
apparently all 6 of Idaho's grebe species (I missed Horned, but Charles
Swift picked one out later in the day) including my first RED-NECKED and my
second CLARK'S GREBE for Idaho County. I counted over 800 American Coots,
which is a lot for 35-acre Tolo.

Coasting down the Old Whitebird Highway was pretty uneventful except for a
late CHIPPING SPARROW at Schwartz Pond. At the Whitebird Creek access area
(Nez Perce National Historic Park) I was shocked to see several small
flocks and singletons (~70 total) of very late VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOWS
streaming south along the creek towards the Salmon River. These were my
first Violet-greens during October in Idaho, but they are still moving down
the coast at this season, so maybe they were pushed in my the pacific
storm? Clearly they wanted out of there as quickly as possible, the way
they were charging south. Lucile produced another flock of ~50
Yellow-rumps including up to 10% Myrtles (typical in north Idaho during
October). A slightly late Turkey Vulture was in New Meadows, and a
slightly early Rough-legged Hawk was between McCall and Lake Fork. A Vesper
Sparrow lingered along Stonebreaker Lane, on the way into Lake Cascade's
Sugarloaf Unit, which produced 2000 Coots and some dabbling ducks. A slow
perusal of Gold Fork Road, near Donnelly, in the early evening was
successful for a hunting GREAT GRAY OWL.

Sunday morning I birded, under gloriously-different conditions, in the
Cascade Reservoir area. Most of the morning was gorgeous but quiet, with
the Sugarloaf area taken over by hunters and abandoned by the previous
evening's waterfowl (7 Common Loons compensated). Things got exciting
around late morning, when I pulled into the Great Blue Heron Campground,
south of Cascade and observed an apparent mixed flock of SURF and
WHITE-WINGED SCOTERS flying north. I soon relocated 2 SURF SCOTERS,
including an immature male, diving close to shore north of Pelican Point.
I never relocated the others, but a terrible Hail Mary photo I took during
the initial sighting seems to confirm 1-2 White-winged (
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49021335).

Sunday afternoon, I birded back north along the Salmon River, stopping to
sort through Yellow-rump flocks anywhere there were Ash Trees (and warblers
targeting Wooly Aphids) or Hackberries (targeting Hackberry Psyllids). The
LDS Church parking lot in Riggins was good for about 18 Audubon's and 1-2
Myrtles, Lucille had 40 Audubon's and 2-4 Myrtles, and the Slate Creek
Recreation Area had 40-45 Audubon's, several Myrtles, an Orange-crowned
Warbler, and my latest CASSIN'S VIREO for Idaho (
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49028400). Slate Creek Recreation Area,
in particular, should be inspected regularly in early October.

Returning to Tolo Lake, it had as many water birds as I've ever seen there,
including over 700 Ruddy Ducks, and 2 more SURF SCOTERS (
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49029780), another nice bird for Idaho
County. My "second-in-as-many" stop at The Monastery of St. Gertrude
produced about 20 final Audubon's Warblers and my only WILSON'S WARBLER of
the trip.

Good Birding,

Carl Lundblad
Moscow, Idaho

Back to top
Date: 10/7/18 6:29 pm
From: Isacoff, Jon <isacoff...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Mill Canyon Swamp Sparrow
There was a SWAMP SPARROW at Mill Canyon, WA today at most several meters from where I last observed one in 2016. The location immediately to the right of where the road meets the creek mouth. The bird is hanging out at the edge of the meadow and thicket.

Interesting side note: there have been 3 SWAMP SPAROW sightings in the INW during the past 2 days.

Good birding,
Jon Isacoff, Spokane

Back to top
Date: 10/7/18 9:21 am
From: Tim O'Brien <kertim7179...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Silver Lake Pacific Loon and more (Spokane Co.)
Hi all,

Yesterday, I chased after the Pacific Loon found by Michael Woodruff on Silver Lake.  I first stopped at Granite Lake and scoped to the west from the little gravel pull off on the north side of the causeway that splits Granite Lake from Willow Lake.  Here, on the western part of Granite Lake, I found a raft of Surf Scoters.  I counted at least eight as they were very distant.  A few Eared Grebes were present as well.  After scoping here, I noticed a lot of sparrow activity in the brush by the gate of the pull-off.  I worked the birds here and found several White-crowned Sparrows, a Lincoln's Sparrow, Song Sparrow, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Bewick's Wren, and a tan-striped White-throated Sparrow.

I then headed to Silver Lake, where Norma Trefry and Terry Little were already searching Silver Lake without success.  One Common Loon was towards the north-end of the lake.  I then left the party and checked Medical Lake and West Medical Lake.  Then I did a short drive of the West Plains.  I then returned to Silver Lake at approximately noon.  I re-located the Common Loon on the north-end.  Then I moved to the hairpin turn where you can see part of the south-end of the lake.  Here, I found another loon.  I scoped it and immediately noticed its smaller size and smooth gray extending from its back up onto its head.  The white throat was clearly defined with no notches present along the throat.  It dove a couple times and then I though I blew my ID because the next loon I saw was clearly a Common.  However, then the Pacific surfaced right next to the Common allowing a great comparison.  Also, right here was a Red-necked Grebe.

It was a great day!  I added 3 new county birds for the year with the WTSP being a county lifer.

Tim O'Brien
Spokane Valley, WA
mailto: kertim7179 at yahoo dot com

Back to top
Date: 10/6/18 4:45 pm
From: <mikescott7...>
Subject: Re: [inland-NW-birders] Swamp Sparrow near Cottonwood, Idaho
Carl

Thanks for sharing. It will be interesting to see where else swap sparrows show up.

Cheers

Mike
---- Carl Lundblad <carl.lundblad...> wrote:
> I found another SWAMP SPARROW at the small sewage pond a quarter mile east
> of The Monastery of St. Gertrude near Cottonwood, Idaho. Again, I first
> detected it by call, and was able to spot and photograph it when it perched
> on a fence. Easy to hear but hard to see from the gravel road running east
> from Keuterville Road. Please look only from the road. I’m fairly certain
> the Swamp Sparrow is a first for Idaho County.
>
> The Monastery grounds were hopping with birds including up to 50 Audubon’s,
> 2+ Myrtle, and 2 late Orange-crowned Warblers, all eating wooly aphids from
> the ash trees. I would have liked to spend longer looking through them,
> but a heavier squall of cold rain was moving through, and I didn’t stay
> real long.
>
> Good Birding,
>
> Carl Lunblad
> Moscow, ID

Back to top
Date: 10/6/18 3:40 pm
From: Isacoff, Jon <isacoff...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Slavin shorebirds
A nice gathering of late shorebirds was at Slavin Ranch today. Species observed:

11 Killdeer
10 Pectoral Sandpiper
27 Long-billed Dowitcher
1 Lesser Yellowlegs

Good birding,
Jon Isacoff, Spokane

Back to top

Date: 10/6/18 9:22 am
From: Carl Lundblad <carl.lundblad...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Swamp Sparrow near Mann Lake
After birding Mann Lake this morning, I stopped where the outflow crosses
Res Line Road to investigate a raucous blue jay call. Turns out the jay
was part of a mob call recording being played by the vineyard to scare off
birds.

As I was about to leave, I heard the distinctive call of a SWAMP SPARROW.
With patience, I eventually had great views of it immediately on the east
side of the road along the southern edge of the outflow below the dam.
Look for the one lone small willow near the (currently soft) pullout on the
east side of the road, then look behind it.

Mann Lake is at the east end of Power Ave. east of Lewiston. Photos will
be up on eBird by the end of tomorrow.

Good Birding,

Carl Lunblad
Moscow, ID

Back to top
Date: 10/5/18 1:25 pm
From: Terry O'Halloran <terryohal...>
Quite a bit of activity at the lake today. Lots of ducks including
mallards, shovelers, wigeons, redheads, ruddys, and canvasbacks. Of course
there are also a few hundred Canada geese.

Other species include:
3 greater yellowlegs
10 long billed dowitchers
6 pectoral sandpipers
8 killdeer
4 western grebes
1 ring-billed gull
4 American pipits

Terry O’Halloran

Back to top
Date: 10/5/18 9:14 am
From: Michael Woodruff <mkd.woodruff...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Spokane County Pacific Loon, Surf Scoters
This morning there is a Pacific Loon and 8 Surf Scoters on Silver Lake. All
were seen from the corner where Silver Lake Rd meets the lake when coming
from Granite Lake. The loon was towards the south, and the scoters straight
out (notably, a Greater Scaup was with the raft of scoters).

Additionally, I saw one Surf Scoter on Granite Lake. It was behind the
island, best seen by going to the farthest west part of the road with a
view back over the lake.

Michael Woodruff
Spokane, WA

Back to top
Date: 10/4/18 5:20 pm
From: Isacoff, Jon <isacoff...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Sprague Scoters
Earlier today there were 24 immature/female-type SURF SCOTERS on the Lincoln side of Sprague Lake.

Good birding,
Jon Isacoff, Spokane

Back to top
Date: 10/4/18 4:35 pm
From: Doug Ward <dougward...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Black-throated Gray Warbler-Hayden, ID
Haven't been around much lately due to work, but since returning home last Thursday have been hoping for a good migrant push through the yard (Hayden, Kootenai Co., ID).  While it has been quiet here except for a couple of pushes of kinglets, a nice male BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLER this afternoon (Thurs, 4 Oct.'18) turned out to be our bird of the Fall...so far.  The warbler was mixed in with a group of chickadees and kinglets, but only hung around briefly; will keep the group posted if by chance it sticks around.  The moral of the story, as always, is to keep your eyes open even if it seems like a dull day.
As I indicated, it has been slow around our place in Hayden - still waiting for our first migrant sparrows to show - but, we have had a female type ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRD come by very periodically during the past few weeks; last seen for ~20 seconds on Sunday (30 Sept.'18). So, hoping the warbler broke the ice around here.
Good Birding,Doug
4 October 2018 - Hayden (Loch Haven), Kootenai Co., ID duck sp. - 1 flyover (scaup?)California Quail - 10Ring-billed Gull - 1adNorthern Flicker - 1 "Red-shafted"Common Raven - 2Black-capped Chickadee - 4Mountain Chickadee - 4Chestnut-backed Chickadee - 2Red-breasted Nuthatch - 2Pygmy Nuthatch - 3hvRuby-crowned Kinglet - 7American Robin - 15
BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLER - 1mDark-eyed Junco - 5 "Oregon"Song Sparrow - 4House Finch - 2

Back to top
Date: 10/2/18 11:37 am
From: donna bragg <1donnabragg...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Ferry WHITE-THROATED SPARROW and GOLDEN CROWNED SPARROW
On my morning "inspection" of birds in the yard I had 4 species of Sparrows
- the common and always-present Song Sparrow, the migrating White-crowned
Sparrows and then I was able to relocate my GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW of a
week ago. A big surprise today, though, was the WHITE-THROATED SPARROW that
popped up.

Pictures can be seen on my ebird list.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48889275

Happy fall birding!

Donna Bragg
Kettle Falls, WA

Back to top
Date: 9/30/18 12:04 pm
From: Norma Trefry <firsttrefry...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Pend Oreille Co birds
On a birding trip to Pend Oreille County on Friday I saw two birds rarely
seen there- a Great Egret and a Common Tern. Both were seen from the river
road between Usk and Cusick. I saw the gull fishing first, and later
perched on a rock in the river. The Great Egret was on the far side of
the river with a group of at least 8 Great Blue Herons.
Also, there were American Pipits on the dike road on the Kalispel
Reservation.
Thanks to Terry Little for the info that they were on the river.

Norma Trefry
<firsttrefry...>

Back to top
Date: 9/29/18 7:38 pm
From: Mike & MerryLynn <m.denny...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Rough-legged Hawk -WWCo.
Hello all,

Returning home from leading an all day field trip - we took Byrnes road
west of Touchet and found an early ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK.

Home to our yard where a White-throated Sparrow and an Anna's
Hummingbird visited.

Good birding, ML

Date: 9/25/18 5:33 am
From: Matt Bartels <mattxyz...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] New tool: Seasonal Abundance one-sheets for WA birds - available on WOS website
Hi all -
A great new tool is available now on the WOS website. Seasonal abundance charts for the common birds of WA.
http://wos.org/documents/Occurrence/ <http://wos.org/documents/Occurrence/>

Marv Breece put these together to help him in his birding, and now they are available for all.

What are they?
The idea behind this project was to come up with a quick reference to know which species are likely to be moving through the state at any given point. Ever been out looking at shorebirds in the fall and wondered “Is it too early to be thinking of Baird’s Sandpiper?” Or wondered if it was time for Yellow Warblers to return in the Spring? If so, then these sheets might be helpful.

The goal was originally paper-based — a series of one-page handouts that can be brought along in the field. We’ve also gone ahead and formatted them for viewing on the web as well though.

How they are organized:
To stick with the goal of single-page print outs, we’ve organized the regular birds of WA into 9 separate groups, each of which fits on a single printed sheet. Then, for each grouping, Marv created charts for Spring and Fall migration, separately divided for Eastern and Western WA. So, each group has 4 pages.
Pull up the shorebirds page, and you can see that Baird’s Sandpiper becomes more common in the first week of August in Eastern WA, and in the 2nd week of August in Western WA.

If you want a paper-formatted version, download the pdfs and print. If you want to view online, use the direct links to each of the pages.

I’ll be looking forward to having this reference available as I wander around.

The data for these sheets comes from the seasonal bar charts included in the back of the Birds of WA.

Here’s the link again: http://wos.org/documents/Occurrence/ <http://wos.org/documents/Occurrence/>
[you can also find them from the WOS homepage by selecting the ‘resources’ menu]

Thanks to WOS for hosting the project, and especially for Marv for putting these together and then offering to share them.

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA

Back to top
Date: 9/22/18 11:21 am