inland-nw-birders
Received From Subject
4/23/18 10:07 am Terry Gray <clgtlg...> [inland-NW-birders] Spring Valley Res. Common Loons
4/22/18 4:26 pm Isacoff, Jon <isacoff...> [inland-NW-birders] Spokane Audubon field trip-Lincoln Co.
4/21/18 8:38 pm Norm Engeland <nengeland...> [inland-NW-birders] Spokane Hummer
4/21/18 10:28 am Catherine Temple <ctemple99...> [inland-NW-birders] Waterfowl on the move
4/20/18 11:05 am Richard Baltierra <wolfbaltierra...> Re: [inland-NW-birders] Dusky Grouse in Whitman Co.?
4/20/18 9:45 am Catherine Temple <ctemple99...> [inland-NW-birders] red-necked grebes
4/20/18 5:47 am Bill Siems <wfsiems...> [inland-NW-birders] Dusky Grouse in Whitman Co.?
4/19/18 8:28 pm Keith Carlson <kec201814...> [inland-NW-birders] Bamded Tundra Swan reported earlier
4/19/18 4:02 pm Keith Carlson <kec201814...> [inland-NW-birders] Mann Lake Willet
4/18/18 6:15 am Isacoff, Jon <isacoff...> [inland-NW-birders] Lincoln Co. Tuesday
4/17/18 11:59 am Mack/ Stuart <cjninebark...> [inland-NW-birders] snow geese
4/17/18 10:03 am Catherine Temple <ctemple99...> [inland-NW-birders] Goslings
4/16/18 3:04 pm Russ Koppendrayer <russkope...> [inland-NW-birders] Garfield Co. Red-breasted Merganser
4/16/18 7:15 am Isacoff, Jon <isacoff...> [inland-NW-birders] Spokane Birds
4/14/18 8:28 pm Tim O'Brien <kertim7179...> [inland-NW-birders] Around Spokane today
4/14/18 3:04 pm Isacoff, Jon <isacoff...> [inland-NW-birders] Deer Park Loggerhead Shrike
4/14/18 1:52 pm Tim O'Brien <kertim7179...> [inland-NW-birders] Deer Park Loggerhead Shrike
4/14/18 1:41 pm <rockybengals...> [inland-NW-birders] Genesee sewage pond Black-necked stilt and Wilson’s snipe
4/13/18 3:50 pm W & J Current <wjcurrent...> [inland-NW-birders] Colville area Snow Geese
4/12/18 3:12 pm Keith Carlson <kec201814...> [inland-NW-birders] Common Loons
4/12/18 12:32 pm Catherine Temple <ctemple99...> [inland-NW-birders] Four finch day
4/11/18 3:27 pm Tim O'Brien <kertim7179...> [inland-NW-birders] Saltese Black-necked Stilts 4-11-18 (Spokane Co.)
4/11/18 3:23 pm Keith Carlson <kec201814...> Re: [inland-NW-birders] Banded Tundra Swan
4/11/18 2:59 pm jami9197 <jami9197...> Re: [inland-NW-birders] Banded Tundra Swan
4/11/18 7:53 am Charles Swift <chaetura...> Re: [inland-NW-birders] Banded Tundra Swan
4/10/18 3:41 pm Keith Carlson <kec201814...> [inland-NW-birders] Banded Tundra Swan
4/10/18 1:00 pm Norm Engeland <nengeland...> [inland-NW-birders] Shorebirds
4/10/18 12:46 pm Terry O'Halloran <terryohal...> [inland-NW-birders] Mann Lake Stilts
4/10/18 12:40 pm Bob Hansen <bobhansen...> [inland-NW-birders] Spring 2018 Klickitat County North American Migration Count.. Saturday, May 12th...put it on your calendars and let me know if you will be able to participate...
4/10/18 10:34 am Catherine Temple <ctemple99...> [inland-NW-birders] RB merganser
4/9/18 11:01 pm Richard Baltierra <wolfbaltierra...> Re: [inland-NW-birders] Dunlin and yellowlegs
4/9/18 9:55 pm Michael Hobbs <birdmarymoor...> Re: [inland-NW-birders] Dunlin and yellowlegs
4/9/18 12:00 pm Catherine Temple <ctemple99...> [inland-NW-birders] Dunlin and yellowlegs
4/9/18 7:23 am Isacoff, Jon <isacoff...> [inland-NW-birders] Sprague RED-NECKED Phalarope
4/6/18 1:46 pm Anthony Hatcher <anthonyhatcher704...> [inland-NW-birders] Volunteers needed for bird counts near Genesee, ID
4/3/18 1:50 pm Nancy Miller <nmiller...> [inland-NW-birders] Geese
4/3/18 9:44 am Nancy Miller <nmiller...> [inland-NW-birders] blue jay
4/3/18 7:44 am Charles Swift <chaetura...> Re: [inland-NW-birders] Snake River
4/3/18 7:41 am Eliot Miller <eliot.isaac...> Re: [inland-NW-birders] Snake River
4/3/18 7:12 am Terry Gray <clgtlg...> Re: [inland-NW-birders] Snake River
4/3/18 6:58 am Cliff and Lisa Weisse <CliffandLisa...> Re: [inland-NW-birders] Snake River
4/3/18 12:15 am Richard Baltierra <wolfbaltierra...> Re: [inland-NW-birders] Snake River
4/2/18 9:58 pm Charles Swift <chaetura...> Re: [inland-NW-birders] Snake River
4/2/18 9:25 pm Terry Gray <clgtlg...> [inland-NW-birders] Latah County Sandhill Crane
4/2/18 9:18 pm Mike & MerryLynn <m.denny...> [inland-NW-birders] Solitary Sandpiper and more WWCounty arrivals
4/2/18 8:49 pm Mack/ Stuart <cjninebark...> [inland-NW-birders] Snake River
4/2/18 7:49 pm Kim Thorburn <kthorburn...> [inland-NW-birders] Greater White-Fronted Goose
4/2/18 2:45 pm Carl Lundblad <carl.lundblad...> [inland-NW-birders] Moscow Area Waterfowl
4/1/18 3:19 pm Nancy Miller <nmiller...> Re: [inland-NW-birders] Blue jay
4/1/18 11:49 am Nancy Miller <nmiller...> [inland-NW-birders] Blue jay
4/1/18 9:51 am Charles Swift <chaetura...> [inland-NW-birders] Moscow area Canvasbacks etc. (3/31/18)
4/1/18 9:51 am J. Woolbright <jwoolbright...> [inland-NW-birders] Easter Morning GREAT GRAY OWL
4/1/18 8:03 am David McNeely <davmcneely40...> [inland-NW-birders] (no subject)
3/31/18 7:38 pm Catherine Temple <ctemple99...> [inland-NW-birders] Shrike
3/31/18 1:53 pm Carl Lundblad <carl.lundblad...> [inland-NW-birders] Genesee White-fronted Geese
3/30/18 5:31 pm Richard Baltierra <wolfbaltierra...> [inland-NW-birders] Whitman County Arrivals
3/29/18 3:23 pm RUSSELL FROBE <rrfrobe...> [inland-NW-birders] E. Wigeon
3/27/18 1:37 pm Mike & MerryLynn <m.denny...> [inland-NW-birders] Wala Walla county arrivals
3/26/18 9:43 am Charles Swift <chaetura...> [inland-NW-birders] Fwd: [IBLE] In Oregon - announcing the Dean Hale Woodpecker Festival
3/26/18 8:16 am Isacoff, Jon <isacoff...> [inland-NW-birders] Lincoln Co. Sunday

Back to top
Date: 4/23/18 10:07 am
From: Terry Gray <clgtlg...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Spring Valley Res. Common Loons
Hi Birders,

As of 8:30 a.m. today there was a pair of adult Common Loons at the
reservoir.

Good Birding,

Terry Gray
890 Stefany Ln
Moscow ID 83843
208-596-5212
http://www.flickr.com/photos/terryandchristine/

http://www.avg.com

Back to top
Date: 4/22/18 4:26 pm
From: Isacoff, Jon <isacoff...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Spokane Audubon field trip-Lincoln Co.
Today we had a great Spokane Audubon field trip to Reardan and Mill Canyon. The action got going even before we got to the Reardan Ponds parking lot with 12 GREATER-WHITE-FRONTED GEESE by the side of SR-2 just East of town. At the ponds, there were no shorebirds save for the expected Killdeer but tons of expected waterfowl singing SORA’s and a breeding plumage BONAPARTE’S GULL. Also present was a LONG-TAILED WEASEL that entertained everyone running back and forth across the paved path.

On Sunset Highway, a pair of Great-blue Heron’s are building a nest in the same stand of trees where a Great-horned Owl is sitting on an old hawk nest. These birds are very skittish so please do not approach the area on foot, they seem to not mind cars so drive by slowly but they get very upset and will likely abandon the nest if the see people on foot. Along the first 1/2 mile of the road we had a migrant TOWNSEND’S SOLITAIRE, Ruby-crowned Kinglets, a Wilson’s Snipe, 1 Lesser Yellowlegs, a SHARP-SHINNED HAWK, and a kettle with 4 Turkey Vultures, 1 Red-tailed, and 1 Cooper’s Hawk.

In Mill Canyon, the river is drawn down to just a narrow channel attracting lots of fishermen who normally would need boats to get out there. So, no waterfowl, but a nice assortment of migrants and breeding birds including Say’s Phoebes, Western Bluebird, Yellow-rumped, Orange-crowned, and Nashville Warblers, recently arrived Chipping and White-crowned Sparrows, and abundant Ruby-crowned Kinglets.

Good birding,
Jon Isacoff, Spokane

Back to top
Date: 4/21/18 8:38 pm
From: Norm Engeland <nengeland...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Spokane Hummer
Decided to put the Hummingbird feeder up today about 4 PM and at 5:30 spotted the first brief visitor. Too quick to get a good look, but I suspect Calliope. Maybe she took the express in on the high winds today.

Five Mile Prairie
Norm Engeland

Back to top
Date: 4/21/18 10:28 am
From: Catherine Temple <ctemple99...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Waterfowl on the move
Lots of waterfowl showing up in the valley this morning. Swallows Park has
a large mixed flock of widgeon, g.w. teal, ring-necked ducks, shovellers,
ruddy ducks, a few hooded mergansers, bufflehead and coots just off the old
swimming beach.

A quick trip to Mann Lake had widgeon, shovellers, green-winged and
cinnamon teal, mallard, bufflehead and snow geese. A small flock of avocets
were swimming out in the lake a short distance as there is little shoreline
left.

--

*Catherine Temple*

*Pet Portrait and Wildlife Artist*

*Clarkston, WA.(208) 791-7052*
<ctemple99...>

www.catherinetemple.com
www.flickr.com/photos/ctemple/

Back to top
Date: 4/20/18 11:05 am
From: Richard Baltierra <wolfbaltierra...>
Subject: Re: [inland-NW-birders] Dusky Grouse in Whitman Co.?
Tough to say, my first guess would've been Wild Turkey as they are about
the only big upland game bird that I see annually in Whitman county. I've
personally have only seen one grouse in Whitman before and that was Ruffed.
However if there ever was going to be a big forest grouse like a Dusky in
Whitman, Altergott rd. and the surrounding area near the Palouse River,
would be the spot for one. I was actually out there driving around hoping
for a Pileated woodpecker or maybe a Pygmy Owl just about a month ago.
Interesting find for sure!

RJ Baltierra

On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 5:47 AM, Bill Siems <wfsiems...> wrote:

> On Thursday in the Palouse River canyon, downstream from the Altergott Rd.
> bridge and upstream from Elberton, I flushed a large solitary bird from the
> ground in an open sunny riverside clearing, It flew across the river into
> steep mature woodland with a rather open understory and disappeared. The
> view was brief and did not include the head, but the bright sunlight
> illumination left me with a strong impression of mottled brown tones with a
> wide light band near the tip of a long tail. in flight the startled bird
> made three or four surprisingly soft clucking sounds. I had seen a Ruffed
> Grouse in this same spot some years ago, but this bird seemed more
> ponderous, while more agile than Wild Turkey. Other than female Dusky
> Grouse I'm at a loss to account for what I saw.
>

> Does anyone have any ideas?
>

> Bill Siems

> birders

Back to top
Date: 4/20/18 9:45 am
From: Catherine Temple <ctemple99...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] red-necked grebes
Swallows Park was a hot-bed of bird activity this morning. Upon arriving I
saw three unusual looking birds in the river. They turned out to be a pair
of red-necked grebes with a canvasback duck - a rather odd trio. The duck
left before I could get photos, but here are the grebes.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ctemple/27713657688/in/dateposted-public/

While continuing my walk I heard a pair of yellowlegs calling loudly as
they rocketed by. Don't know if they were greater or lesser. They sounded
like greater, but can't be sure. The boat launch mudflat had about 20
pelicans along with the usual geese and coots. Along the bike path were
red-winged blackbirds and cedar waxwings.

Mama red-tail was tending to her nest this morning. Chicks hatched sometime
this week I think as she has been standing on the edge of the nest every
morning looking in so is probably feeding. She seems to be tolerating my
presence better this year so perhaps she recognizes me and knows I'm not a
threat. Thought it was interesting to observe small birds searching the
twigs just below her at the base of her nest seemingly unconcerned about
becoming breakfast.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ctemple/27713660508/in/dateposted-public/

Great spring morning here in the valley. Happy birding!

Date: 4/19/18 8:28 pm
From: Keith Carlson <kec201814...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Bamded Tundra Swan reported earlier
The banded Tundra Swan I photographed and reported earlier from Mann Lake, Nez Perce county, Idaho has been identified as a female banded on 29 July 2006 at APPROX. 10 ST MI SSE KOTZEBUE, ANCHORAGE BOROUGH, ALASKA, USAIt was born in 2005 or earlier, making our Swan almost 13 years old as a minimum. https://www.flickr.com/photos/birddog/39565835030/in/dateposted-public/Keith E CarlsonLewiston

Back to top
Date: 4/19/18 4:02 pm
From: Keith Carlson <kec201814...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Mann Lake Willet
Received a call from Larry Hamrin that he observed and photographed a Willet this morning at Mann Lake.He has posted the photo on Flickr. I went to the Lake -but could not find the bird.There were lots of fishermen, 10 swans and 200 + Snow geese Willet is a great bird in our area. Keith E. CarlsonLewiston

Back to top
Date: 4/18/18 6:15 am
From: Isacoff, Jon <isacoff...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Lincoln Co. Tuesday
Yesterday checked out some of the shorebird-type spots around Lincoln Co. (WA). Very heavy winds made passerine activity quite low. Shorebirds observed at multiple locations between Sprague and Davenport included:

Black-necked Stilt
Killdeer
Dunlin
WIlson’s Snipe
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs

Other birds of note:

Rocklyn Road - 2 Tundra Swans and 1 EURASIAN WIGEON

Seven Mile Road - Sharp-shinned Hawk and Loggerhead Shrike

Reardan - 9 GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE

Good birding,
Jon Isacoff, Spokane

Back to top
Date: 4/17/18 11:59 am
From: Mack/ Stuart <cjninebark...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] snow geese
Last Thursday, 4/12, there were 5 *Snow Geese* on the Kalispel Pow-Wow
grounds near Cusick WA.

As of yesterday, the first migratory *Ruby-crowned Kinglets* are singing
and a *Townsend's Solitaire* was warbling away yesterday in our garden.
Also hearing *Brown Creepers' songs* for about a week now.

John Stuart
Newport, WA

Back to top
Date: 4/17/18 10:03 am
From: Catherine Temple <ctemple99...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Goslings
Saw the first Canada goslings this morning. Always surprises me to see the
first little fluff-balls, a sure sign of spring!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ctemple/40809832104/in/dateposted-public/

Date: 4/16/18 3:04 pm
From: Russ Koppendrayer <russkope...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Garfield Co. Red-breasted Merganser
Hi Birders,

At 2pm today there's a male Red-breasted Merganser at the Central Ferry
area in Garfield Co. It started near the mouth of Deadman Creek and has
slowly drifted towards the highway. Best seen from pullout on Lower Deadman
Rd. by me.

Russ Koppendrayer
Longview, WA

Back to top
Date: 4/16/18 7:15 am
From: Isacoff, Jon <isacoff...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Spokane Birds
Yesterday afternoon at Philleo Lake were 2 ROSS’S GEESE with a flock of 50 SNOW GEESE. Also present were 9 GREATER and 3 LESSER YELLOWLEGS. On Paradise Prairie I found 5 lingering Tundra Swans, 4 more LESSER YELLOWLEGS, 3 BLACK-NECKED STILTS, and a flyover AMERICAN PIPIT.

Good birding, Jon Isacoff

Back to top
Date: 4/14/18 8:28 pm
From: Tim O'Brien <kertim7179...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Around Spokane today
Hello all,
I did some sporadic birding today around Spokane county.  Leading off the day, I visited the Saltese Wetlands in the morning.  Most notable here were the continuing Black-necked Stilts in the big flooded field on the north end of the wetland.  Then in the pond opposite the Morrison cattle yard, there were two Greater Yellowlegs and two Lesser Yellowlegs making for nice comparisons.  Also, a sizable flock of American Wigeon here had one Eurasian Wigeon.
Later in the morning, I hiked in the Antoine Peak area starting from the Campbell Road trailhead.  I headed up towards Leland Pond.  On the way up, two different Ruffed Grouse were flushed from the trail.  One disappeared into the brushy trees and then proceeded to drum away.  Also, I found two Chestnut-backed Chickadees along the trail.
After returning home and reviewing my eBird alerts, I saw Jon's report of the Loggerhead Shrike up in Deer Park.  I made the dash north to the Deer Park Elementary school.  I first tried the south side of the school with no luck, then moved to the north side, where the shrike was most handsomely perched on a chain-link fence just on the border of the bus area.  Pictures are on eBird and Facebook.  Thank you Jon for using eBird and for the great description on where the bird was seen!
Lastly, in the early afternoon near home, two Turkey Vultures were gliding over the Spokane Valley.
Good birding,
Tim O'BrienSpokane Valley, WA

Back to top
Date: 4/14/18 3:04 pm
From: Isacoff, Jon <isacoff...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Deer Park Loggerhead Shrike
While in Deer Park for a non-birding event while wandering around I discovered a LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE in Deer Park, WA, the 6th record for Spokane Co. The bird was working the fence lines behind and South of Deer Park Elementary School. Also a number of Western and Mountain Bluebirds in the general area.

Good birding,
Jon Isacoff, Spokane

Back to top
Date: 4/14/18 1:52 pm
From: Tim O'Brien <kertim7179...>
Right now, at 1:45pm, I am watching the Loggerhead Shrike that Jon Isacoff found this morning behind the Deer Park Elementary School. I have photos of the bird! Glad I chased!
Tim O'Brien

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Back to top
Date: 4/14/18 1:41 pm
From: <rockybengals...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Genesee sewage pond Black-necked stilt and Wilson’s snipe
Was just at the genesee sewage ponds and there is a very vocal Wilson’s snipe and a lone black-necked stilt, both in the Marsh next to the pond. Nice array of water fowl including American Widgeons, buffleheads, Lesser scaups, gadwalls, coots, common golden eyes, mallards, and 12 tundra swans in the field.

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 4/13/18 3:50 pm
From: W & J Current <wjcurrent...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Colville area Snow Geese
I just saw a flock of Snow Geese in the hay land north of Mantz-Rickey Road
just SW of Colvillle, WA. There were 26 birds which is the largest flock of
Snow Geese I've seen in the area. I usuallly see 5-10 birds in a flock or a
single bird that followed the wrong flock coming north and is hanging with
the Canadas.

Warren Current
Colville, WA
Stevens County

Back to top
Date: 4/12/18 3:12 pm
From: Keith Carlson <kec201814...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Common Loons
Today while scouting for Saturday's field trip we observed two Common Loons on the Snake River between Clarkston and Wawawai.They were on the Garfield/Whitman county line and could be counted in both counties.https://www.flickr.com/photos/birddog/40703681734/in/dateposted-public/Keith E CarlsonLewiston

Back to top
Date: 4/12/18 12:32 pm
From: Catherine Temple <ctemple99...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Four finch day
My feeders have been literally crawling with finches the past several days.
The little beggars
are eating me out of house and home, though it's nice to see the sunny
yellow and limey green decorating the yard. I have American and lesser
goldfinch, pine siskin and house finch. Two things are interesting to me.
First, I've never had so many Am. goldfinch before usually just lessers.
Second, most of the birds are males. Anyway, nice to see them sharing the
feeders!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ctemple/41372922672/in/dateposted-public/

Date: 4/11/18 3:27 pm
From: Tim O'Brien <kertim7179...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Saltese Black-necked Stilts 4-11-18 (Spokane Co.)
Hello all,

At about 2:20pm this afternoon, I found at least 18 Black-necked Stilts at the Saltese Wetlands.  I scoped these birds from a pull out along Henry Road, north of the intersection of Molter and Henry.  This pull out has a lot of yard waste debris.  The stilts were off to the northwest associating with the mixed flock of Ring-billed and California Gulls.  You may be able to view them from the county gate closer to the Saltese Uplands parking area, but I didn't have time to check.

Also, found my FOY Cinnamon Teal in the southern portion of the wetland.  Earlier in the day at Liberty Lake County Park, I had my FOY Ruby-crowned Kinglet as well.

Good birding,

Tim O'Brien
Spokane Valley, WA

Back to top
Date: 4/11/18 3:23 pm
From: Keith Carlson <kec201814...>
Subject: Re: [inland-NW-birders] Banded Tundra Swan
Thx, info fwded to BBL
Keith Carlson
I saw the collared bird too. I think that the first letter is U.

Sent from my Samsung device

Back to top
Date: 4/11/18 2:59 pm
From: jami9197 <jami9197...>

I saw the collared bird too. I think that the first letter is U.

Sent from my Samsung device_______________________________________________
Inland-nw-birders mailing list
send email to: <Inland-nw-birders...>
manage subscription: https://lists.uidaho.edu/mailman/listinfo/inland-nw-birders

Back to top
Date: 4/11/18 7:53 am
From: Charles Swift <chaetura...>
Keith and all,

Information on reporting collared Tundra Swans is here -
https://trumpeterswansociety.wordpress.com/2010/11/26/wanted-marked-tundra-swan-reports-wintering-birds-from-alaska/.
It's hard to read the first letter in the collar, but if you have other
photos showing that you can determine the location where it was banded
(somewhere in Alaska in any case).

thanks, Charles.

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 3:41 PM Keith Carlson <kec201814...>
wrote:

> This PM (1430), I observed and photographed a banded Tundra Swan among a
> group of 13 at Mann Lake, Nez Perce county, Idaho
> As the photo shows, this bird has both an uncomfortable looking neck band
> and an unreadable leg band
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/birddog/39565835030/in/dateposted-public/
>
> Keith E. Carlson
> Lewiston, Idaho

Charles Swift
Moscow, Idaho
<chaetura...>

Back to top
Date: 4/10/18 3:41 pm
From: Keith Carlson <kec201814...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Banded Tundra Swan
This PM (1430), I observed and photographed a banded Tundra Swan among a group of 13 at Mann Lake, Nez Perce county, IdahoAs the photo shows, this bird has both an uncomfortable looking neck band and an unreadable leg bandhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/birddog/39565835030/in/dateposted-public/

Date: 4/10/18 1:00 pm
From: Norm Engeland <nengeland...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Shorebirds
Yesterday was a great break from the Spring rains, hail and wind. Birded from Spokane to Davenport to Sprague Lk, Texas Lk, Rock Lk and Spangle. Highlights included: Ducks, ducks, ducks everywhere in flooded fields, except Old Kuch's Rd ponds which was completely vacant.
Eared Grebes sparing with their "Chest bumps" on Reardon Ponds with one Cinnamon Teal west of the highway and Marsh Wrens chattering their little hearts out from the cover of the tules.
Davenport Cemetery had a Varied Thrush under the bushes, and a Brown Creeper keeping company with Golden-crowned Kinglets (I often see them together). A lone Tree Swallow seemed to want to land on my head. In the brush pile at the NW corner, my friend Ted reported a very small brown bird popping up, scurrying along the ground like a mouse and disappearing into the brush pile. Could it have been a migrating Pacific Wren headed to some thick forest?
At the flooded fields between Sprague and the lake there was one lonely deserted Dunlin with a broken wing jutting out straight forward 180 degrees off kilter. Poor fellah!
At the road ponds just before Texas Lake was a single Greater Yellow-legs. Texas Lake was loaded with ducks. as was the pond at Glorfield Rd by Rock Lake with several Cinnamons.
An Osprey had returned to Rock Lake perched on a power pole with a half eaten fish, with two Black-necked Stilts wading at the south end of the lake. Also saw the Osprey returned to the Spokane Fish Hatchery today.
On to Spangle for a Short-eared Owl survey, but alas, no owls to be found. However, at the last stop on S Yale just north of E Watt Rd, under the cover of dusk eight Trumpeter Swans glided in for a heavenly descent onto a shallow pond there to finish off a glorious day.

"Consider the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them."

Blessings, Norm Engeland

Back to top
Date: 4/10/18 12:46 pm
From: Terry O'Halloran <terryohal...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Mann Lake Stilts
Sixteen black-necked stilts were feeding along the shoreline at Mann Lake
Tuesday morning.

Other than the stilts there wasn't a lot of activity at the lake. Sixty
snow geese flew in and landed in an adjacent field and a few mallards,
green winged teal, wigeons, and ring necked ducks were present and a large
number of swallows were swooping over the water.

Terry O'Halloran

Back to top
Date: 4/10/18 12:40 pm
From: Bob Hansen <bobhansen...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Spring 2018 Klickitat County North American Migration Count.. Saturday, May 12th...put it on your calendars and let me know if you will be able to participate...
Folks,

Spring is HERE which means it’s almost time for our annual Klickitat County Spring North American Migration Count. We began these counts in 2017, twenty-one years ago. Can you believe it?

Randy Robinson has done a great job of tabulating our recents results. Click on http://birdingwashington.info/Klickitat/SpringNAMC.htm <http://birdingwashington.info/Klickitat/SpringNAMC.htm> to see how we have done over the years. Here are last year's ( Spring 2017) results.... http://birdingwashington.info/Klickitat/Spring2017.htm <http://birdingwashington.info/Klickitat/Spring2017.htm> Once again, thanks Randy and all of last Spring's participants...

Please let me know as soon as possible if you will be able to participate this Spring. May 12th, 2018. Also, please let your friends and other birders know about our efforts and invite them to join us.

Happy Birding,
Bob

"ask not what your eco system can do for you,
"ask what you can do for your eco system." OWS graffiti

Back to top
Date: 4/10/18 10:34 am
From: Catherine Temple <ctemple99...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] RB merganser
I found a young drake red-breasted merganser at Hell's Gate State Park this
morning hanging out with a pair of common mergansers. Rain and gloom didn't
help with picture taking, but got a few for identification. Can't mistake
the wild hairdo.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ctemple/41326739062/in/dateposted-public/

Also had my FOY cinnamon teal at both Hell's Gate and Swallows Park,
presumably the same bird with a group of shovellers. They had flushed from
Hell's Gate and headed up toward Swallows. No photos as they were too far
for anything worth while.

Date: 4/9/18 11:01 pm
From: Richard Baltierra <wolfbaltierra...>
Subject: Re: [inland-NW-birders] Dunlin and yellowlegs
Yep I was out there this afternoon as well and saw all the birds mentioned
besides the Dunlin. Completed a Short Eared Owl survey near there, no owls
though. I did have my first of the year Osprey, and Swainsons Hawk. I still
had a Rough Legged Hawk actually real close to the Swainsons Hawk which was
kind of cool to have both.

RJ Baltierra

Date: 4/9/18 9:55 pm
From: Michael Hobbs <birdmarymoor...>

Date: 4/9/18 7:23 am
From: Isacoff, Jon <isacoff...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Sprague RED-NECKED Phalarope
Yesterday morning I birded the Sprague area. The highlight was a RED-NECKED PHALAROPE on the main lake — the earliest known record for the state of WA, which has only a handful of late April records, all but one from the coast. Other birds of interest were a large flock of 180 taverner’s CACKLING GEESE with 2 late MINIMA’s and one SNOW in the group. At least one TRICOLORED BLACKBIRD was seen in a large mixed blackbird flock. A flock of 40+ DUNLIN continues in the flooded fields between town and the lake. Other birds of note were a group of 30 or so CLIFF SWALLOWS mixed in the hundreds of Tree and Violet-Green’s and 2 EURASIAN WIGEON. There were huge rafts of scaup, Ruddy Ducks, Coots at multiple locations as well as all of the typical waterfowl expected at this time of year.

Good birding,
Jon Isacoff

Jonathan B. Isacoff
Professor
Political Science and Environmental Studies
Office Location: CG 419
<isacoff...><mailto:<isacoff...>

Mailing Address
Gonzaga University
Box 52
Spokane, WA-99258-0052

Back to top
Date: 4/6/18 1:46 pm
From: Anthony Hatcher <anthonyhatcher704...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Volunteers needed for bird counts near Genesee, ID
Hi,

I sent this earlier today from my work email, but I received a message that
it was being held up because it was not sent from a member. This is the
email I receive the listserve on so hopefully this helps.

Thanks,

Anthony Hatcher

Hello fellow birders,

Staring Saturday, May 5th the Palouse Conservation District in
collaboration with the Idaho Department of Fish and Game will begin
conducting bird point counts in the Cow and Thorn Creek watersheds located
near Genesee, ID and Uniontown, WA. The bird counts will be conducted all
four weekends in May on either Friday or Saturday according to volunteer’s
availability. The goal of the monitoring is to quantify changes in avian
populations due to riparian forest buffer plantings along five miles of
stream in the Thorn Creek watershed. This will be the second year of this
study. Thank you to everyone who came last year. We got some great data on
species richness and diversity in the area and it would be great to
continue that trend this year. The bird counts consist of driving to marked
points located roughly a mile apart in the watersheds, identifying all
birds detected by sight or sound over a five minute period, then driving on
to the next point and repeating the process over again. There are 26 points
in total, 13 in the Thorn Creek watershed (experimental points) and 13 in
the Cow Creek watershed (control points). The monitoring will begin at dawn
and take no more than three hours to complete although that time investment
is significantly less with more volunteers being able to split up the
routes. Knowledgeable birders who are interested in helping with the study
and anyone who would like to improve their birding skills by riding along
with an experienced birder during the counts are encouraged to volunteer.
We will meet for the first count at the park in Genesee, ID located near
the school at 6:00am on Saturday, May 5th. For more information or to sign
up to volunteer please contact Anthony Hatcher by email
<anthonyh...> or phone (980) 622-1087. This is a great way to see
migrant species returning to our area and to help out in quantifying the
effectiveness of habitat restoration on the Palouse. As mentioned above,
the bird counts will be conducted every weekend in May so even if you
cannot make it on May 5th, there will be additional days to volunteer.

Thank you,

Anthony Hatcher

Research and Monitoring Technician

Palouse Conservation District

(509) 332-4101 x112

www.palousecd.org

[image: PCD Steptoe Logo]

Back to top
Date: 4/3/18 1:50 pm
From: Nancy Miller <nmiller...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Geese
1:30 Lots of geese probably Snow at Hwy 95 and Estes Rd north of Moscow. I didn’t stop to check them out.
Nancy Miller

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 4/3/18 9:44 am
From: Nancy Miller <nmiller...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] blue jay
Blue Jay made a brief visit today about 10:30. Very skittish. If there's
movement in the house, it is off. Fortunately call is distinctive so I'm
alerted. Only comes to the ground feeder, unlike Steller's Jays who come to
several others.

Nancy Miller

Four Mile Road

Viola

Back to top
Date: 4/3/18 7:44 am
From: Charles Swift <chaetura...>
Subject: Re: [inland-NW-birders] Snake River
I suspect Canyon Wrens move along drainages to some extent in the winter in
response to local conditions (similar to A. Dippers). They may be
altitudinal migrants in places, from the BNA Species Account I found this:

"Sedentary species, nonmigratory throughout most of its range except
possibly for short altitudinal movements. Some individuals may withdraw in
winter from high elevations and from eastern and northern portions of the
range, and may wander during winter (McCaskie et al. 1988
<https://birdsna.org/Species-Account/bna/species/canwre/references#REF41117>
). "

thanks, Charles.

--
Charles Swift
Moscow, Idaho

Back to top
Date: 4/3/18 7:41 am
From: Eliot Miller <eliot.isaac...>
I have found Rock Wrens "moving through" dry arroyos in the high desert in
NM in winter. I don't believe they are in the same arroyos during breeding
season, but I'm not sure. Birds of North America says they move through
atypical habitats during postbreeding dispersal, etc. For Canyon Wrens on
the other hand, it says just this:

Winter habitats apparently similar to breeding habitats. Resident, limited
singing activity suggests that breeding territories are maintained into the
winter (SLJ/JSD). In the Front Range Mtns. outside Denver, CO, one male
color-banded in 1993 sang in response to playback song recordings in the
same location through the winter of 1994 (SLJ/JSD).

Sounds like there's more to learn.

Eliot

Back to top
Date: 4/3/18 7:12 am
From: Terry Gray <clgtlg...>

Date: 4/3/18 6:58 am
From: Cliff and Lisa Weisse <CliffandLisa...>
I've never heard of a migrant Canyon Wren. I regularly find them in the
dead of winter up around 5,000 feet elevation in the Owyhees, even when
there's considerable snow. I also see them around 5,00 feet in the
summer along the Teton River near Newdale but have never tried to find
them in winter. Might be interesting to see if they tough it out or move
out of the area.

Cliff

On 04/03/2018 01:14 AM, Richard Baltierra wrote:
> Yeah I definitely have Canyon Wrens throughout the winter down there.
> It would be interesting know if there are spots where bumping into a
> migrant Canyon Wren is possible.
>
> RJ Baltierra
>
> On Mon, Apr 2, 2018, 9:58 PM Charles Swift <chaetura...>
> <mailto:<chaetura...>> wrote:
>
> John and all,
>
> The earliest flowering white shrub in the area is generally the
> Serviceberry (Amelancheier alnifolia). Canyon Wrens are more/less
> resident although they seem to move around a bit outside of the
> breeding season. They rarely show up out of typical habitat and
> don't seem to fit the definition of traditional migrants although
> worth delving into further (and perhaps there are other
> populations that are more migratory?).
>
> thanks,
> Charles.
>
> On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 8:49 PM Mack/ Stuart <cjninebark...>
> <mailto:<cjninebark...>> wrote:
>
> I forgot to report earlier.  We had a 2 day escape from the
> last 2 feet of snow in P.O. C
> ounty and explored the Snake River.  We camped on March 20-21
> at Wawawai Park and heard both West. Screech Owl and GHO both
> nights.  Just a few early migrants;  West. Meadowlark at the
> County Park, Spotted Towhee and Canyon Wren (in Nisqually John
> Canyon).
>
> I have a question for folks who live in the area.  Do the
> Canyon Wrens always migrate out in the fall, or do some stay
> all winter?  And do you know what the early white-flowered
> bushes are on the south side of the River?
>
> John Stuart
> Newport, WA
>
> --
> Charles Swift
> Moscow, Idaho
> <chaetura...>

Cliff and Lisa Weisse
Island Park, Idaho
<cliffandlisa...>

Back to top
Date: 4/3/18 12:15 am
From: Richard Baltierra <wolfbaltierra...>

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018, 9:58 PM Charles Swift <chaetura...> wrote:

> John and all,
>
> The earliest flowering white shrub in the area is generally the
> Serviceberry (Amelancheier alnifolia). Canyon Wrens are more/less resident
> although they seem to move around a bit outside of the breeding season.
> They rarely show up out of typical habitat and don't seem to fit the
> definition of traditional migrants although worth delving into further (and
> perhaps there are other populations that are more migratory?).
>
> thanks,
> Charles.
>
> On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 8:49 PM Mack/ Stuart <cjninebark...> wrote:
>
>> I forgot to report earlier. We had a 2 day escape from the last 2 feet
>> of snow in P.O. C
>> ounty and explored the Snake River. We camped on March 20-21 at Wawawai
>> Park and heard both West. Screech Owl and GHO both nights. Just a few
>> early migrants; West. Meadowlark at the County Park, Spotted Towhee and
>> Canyon Wren (in Nisqually John Canyon).
>>
>> I have a question for folks who live in the area. Do the Canyon Wrens
>> always migrate out in the fall, or do some stay all winter? And do you
>> know what the early white-flowered bushes are on the south side of the
>> River?
>>
>> John Stuart
>> Newport, WA
>>
> --
> Charles Swift
> Moscow, Idaho
> <chaetura...>

Back to top
Date: 4/2/18 9:58 pm
From: Charles Swift <chaetura...>
John and all,

The earliest flowering white shrub in the area is generally the
Serviceberry (Amelancheier alnifolia). Canyon Wrens are more/less resident
although they seem to move around a bit outside of the breeding season.
They rarely show up out of typical habitat and don't seem to fit the
definition of traditional migrants although worth delving into further (and
perhaps there are other populations that are more migratory?).

thanks,
Charles.

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 8:49 PM Mack/ Stuart <cjninebark...> wrote:

> I forgot to report earlier. We had a 2 day escape from the last 2 feet of
> snow in P.O. C
> ounty and explored the Snake River. We camped on March 20-21 at Wawawai
> Park and heard both West. Screech Owl and GHO both nights. Just a few
> early migrants; West. Meadowlark at the County Park, Spotted Towhee and
> Canyon Wren (in Nisqually John Canyon).
>
> I have a question for folks who live in the area. Do the Canyon Wrens
> always migrate out in the fall, or do some stay all winter? And do you
> know what the early white-flowered bushes are on the south side of the
> River?
>
> John Stuart
> Newport, WA

Charles Swift
Moscow, Idaho
<chaetura...>

Back to top
Date: 4/2/18 9:25 pm
From: Terry Gray <clgtlg...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Latah County Sandhill Crane
Hi Birders,

Got a report from a friend that they observed a lone Sandhill Crane along
Texas Ridge Road south of Deary ID this morning.

Date: 4/2/18 9:18 pm
From: Mike & MerryLynn <m.denny...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Solitary Sandpiper and more WWCounty arrivals
Hello all,

On this another very windy day we ventured out to see what we could find
- our first year bird was a beautiful SWAINSON'S HAWK before Touchet.
Saw a total of 3 today - another 2 were reported on Byrnes Road later.

At the Walla Walla River delta were 2 BLACK-NECKED STILTS and 1 AMERICAN
AVOCET. At the Millet Pond to the east was an early SOLITARY SANDPIPER.

Snow Geese are still around with over 200 at Casey Pond - Greater
White-fronted Geese in greater numbers - at least 300 there and another
200 at Burbank Slough.

SWALLOWS were abundant today - with hundreds of TREE and VIOLET-GREENS
everywere. At east Burbank Slough (east end of Humorist Rd) - swallows
were in swarms over the cattails - well over a thousand at one time -
including our first ROUGH-WINGED and BARN Swallows of the year.

So spring is here but the mountains are VERY white today -

Happy spring birding, M&ML

--
Mike & MerryLynn Denny
Birding the Beautiful Walla Walla Valley

Back to top

Date: 4/2/18 7:49 pm
From: Kim Thorburn <kthorburn...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Greater White-Fronted Goose
Hi Birders,

I ran the Turnbull East waterfowl transect today. There were 3 greater white-fronted geese standing apart from many Canadas in the sheet water pasture on Stutler Rd. just west of Hwy 195 (Spokane County). I also saw the Eurasian wigeon, likely the one reported by Marian Froebe, among the 200 or so American wigeon on Philleo Lake.

Good spring birding, Kim
Spokane

Kim Marie Thorburn, MD, MPH
509-465-3025

Back to top
Date: 4/2/18 2:45 pm
From: Carl Lundblad <carl.lundblad...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Moscow Area Waterfowl
The last 2 days there has been a (new?) drake EURASIAN WIGEON at the
seasonal pond on the east side of US95 just north of Estes Road near
Moscow, along with many American Wigeons and other common waterfowl.
Yesterday, I had an apparent female Eurasian Wigeon in flight with other
Wigeons at the UI Dairy Ponds. This afternoon, 23 TUNDRA SWANS and 7 SNOW
GESSE were in the fields along Mountain View Road in NE Moscow.

Good Birding,

Carl Lundblad
Moscow, ID

Back to top
Date: 4/1/18 3:19 pm
From: Nancy Miller <nmiller...>
Subject: Re: [inland-NW-birders] Blue jay
I should have added location
Nancy Miller
Four Mile Road
Viola, ID

One Blue jay came by briefly at about 11:30. Accompanied by Steller’s jay

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 4/1/18 11:49 am
From: Nancy Miller <nmiller...>

Date: 4/1/18 9:51 am
From: Charles Swift <chaetura...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Moscow area Canvasbacks etc. (3/31/18)
Hi All and Happy Easter!

Yesterday evening I had 7 Canvasbacks, a fairly tough Latah County bird,
along w/ 6 more expected waterfowl species at the seasonal pond on the east
side of US 95 a few miles north of Moscow. There is a pull out on the right
just past the the Estes Rd. intersection but care is needed here due to
high speed traffic and narrow shoulder. A pair of Red-tailed Hawks nested
in the Cottonwoods at the edge of this pond and they are back in the area.
Nearby at the Foothill Rd. ponds there were a nice assortment of birds
including a mixed flock of ~20 Tree/Violet-green Swallows and a couple of
lingering A. Tree Sparrows (a small flock usually winters in this area).
Mike Scott had a lingering North Shrike just a bit south of the ponds. Also
yesterday morning in my walk around the neighborhood I had my foy
Ruby-crowned Kinglet.

thanks, Charles.
--
Charles Swift
Moscow, Idaho

Back to top
Date: 4/1/18 9:51 am
From: J. Woolbright <jwoolbright...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Easter Morning GREAT GRAY OWL
As is typical, my FOY GREAT GRAY OWL was on Easter morning, on our way to
the Sunrise Service today at approx. 6:20 am. This individual was hunting
from a fence post near the intersection of Woodland Rd. and Celestial Way.
Happy Easter to all.

Janis Woolbright
Woodland, Idaho
Idaho Co.

Virus-free.

Date: 4/1/18 8:03 am
From: David McNeely <davmcneely40...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] (no subject)
set inland-nw-birders mail

Back to top
Date: 3/31/18 7:38 pm
From: Catherine Temple <ctemple99...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Shrike
One of the highlights of the Canyon Birders trip today was a northern
shrike that was looking more like a crossbill. It's malformed beak didn't
appear to have hindered it from surviving the winter.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ctemple/27274614468/in/dateposted-public/

Date: 3/31/18 1:53 pm
From: Carl Lundblad <carl.lundblad...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Genesee White-fronted Geese
Mike Scott and I spent the morning looking around the grasslands west of
Clarkston and then stopped at the Genesee Sewage Ponds which hosted a nice
selection of waterfowl highlighted by 3 Greater White-fronted Geese (my
first at that location).

Good Birding,

Carl Lundblad
Moscow, ID

Back to top
Date: 3/30/18 5:31 pm
From: Richard Baltierra <wolfbaltierra...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Whitman County Arrivals
A late report, but I had some noteworthy birds last Sunday. The first, was
my Whitman county life CLARK'S NUTCRACKER which was on McIntosh rd near
Rose Creek Nature Preserve. Nice to finally find one after dipping on a
flock that Marie Dymkoski had in Palouse a month and a half ago. I also had
my first Western Bluebirds there visiting a nest box on that road. At
Steptoe Butte I had my first of the year Savannah Sparrow singing at the
base. Ewan had over a 1000 ducks in the flooded fields which were mostly
American Wigeon and I didn't have time to look for a Eurasian. At Rock Lake
I had my first Turkey Vultures of the year, followed by my first of the
year Lesser Scaup, Northern Shoveler and a nice GREATER SCAUP at the Gravel
Pit Ponds. On Glorifield rd. I discovered a nice mixed flock of blackbirds
which included my first of the year Yellow Headed Blackbirds and my county
life TRICOLORED BLACKBIRDS. There were at least 2 male Tricoloreds in the
flock which stood out with their white instead of yellow on their wings.
Lastly I had my first of the year Wilson's Snipe calling from the fields
there. A fun day!

RJ Baltierra
Pullman, WA

Back to top
Date: 3/29/18 3:23 pm
From: RUSSELL FROBE <rrfrobe...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] E. Wigeon
Hi,
We did a duck survey for WDF&W through Turnbull today and our last stop was Philleo Lake. There was one Eurasian Wigeon among many, many American Wigeon at the south end of Philleo. Funny how that red and gold head stands out among all those others.
Marian Frobe
Spokane

Sent from my iPad

Back to top
Date: 3/27/18 1:37 pm
From: Mike & MerryLynn <m.denny...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Wala Walla county arrivals
Hello all,

Cinnamon Teal was photographed on the 23rd at McNary, Osprey reported
along the WW River that day as well. On the 24th a Brewer's Sparrow was
photographed at a feeder in town and our first Cliff Swallow was seen at
McNary.

Yesterday (26th) 3 Turkey Vultures were perched in large trees along
Fern Ave. in Walla Walla -

We didn't find any new year birds at Bennington Lake this morning - but
it was very windy - which seems to be the norm these days. Windy all
weekend for the Othello Sandhill Crane Festival.

Avocets and Stilts should be in soon, MerryLynn

Date: 3/26/18 9:43 am
From: Charles Swift <chaetura...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Fwd: [IBLE] In Oregon - announcing the Dean Hale Woodpecker Festival
Date: 3/26/18 8:16 am
From: Isacoff, Jon <isacoff...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Lincoln Co. Sunday
I checked out some of the spots between Reardan and Davenport in Lincoln Co. (WA) on Sunday. Lots of waterfowl and expected birds around though nothing unusual. There were a fair share of raptors about with:

Northern Harrier (9)
Bald Eagle (3)
Red-tailed Hawk (20)
Harlan’s Hawk (1)
Rough-legged Hawk (9)
American Kestrel (1)

On Rocklyn Road was a lingering/migrating NORTHERN SHRIKE and a singing SAGE THRASHER. Savannah Sparrows were singing along Old Kuck’s Road and I located a migrant VARIED THRUSH in Mill Canyon. The Spokane River is drawn down to almost nothing so there were no waterfowl at Mill Canyon (for any venturing down there).

Good birding,
Jon Isacoff, Spokane