inland-nw-birders
Received From Subject
1/22/18 8:26 pm Norm Engeland <nengeland...> [inland-NW-birders] 3 Owl Afternoon
1/22/18 3:14 pm Buchanan, Joseph B (DFW) <Joseph.Buchanan...> [inland-NW-birders] Short-eared Owl surveys
1/21/18 8:57 pm Stephen Lacey <StephenLacey...> [inland-NW-birders] Snowy Owl
1/21/18 7:17 pm Isacoff, Jon <isacoff...> [inland-NW-birders] Heyburn SP
1/21/18 12:27 pm Fran Haywood <birders13...> [inland-NW-birders] Snowy Owl
1/19/18 1:20 pm Michael Fulton <Michael_Ful...> [inland-NW-birders] White-winged crossbill
1/19/18 9:29 am Tina wynecoop <wynecoop...> [inland-NW-birders] Townsend’s solitaire
1/18/18 11:14 am Terry Little <terry...> [inland-NW-birders] Morning at Peone Wetland
1/17/18 8:44 am Kevin Lucas <vikingcove...> [inland-NW-birders] Eurasian Green-winged Teal drake
1/16/18 2:41 pm Tim O'Brien <kertim7179...> [inland-NW-birders] Spokane Snow Goose
1/15/18 8:42 pm Matt Bartels <mattxyz...> [inland-NW-birders] WA Birder county excel sheet updated for the new year
1/15/18 7:53 am Matt Bartels <mattxyz...> [inland-NW-birders] Washington County Year List Project 2017 summary & 2018 launch
1/13/18 1:10 pm Richard Baltierra <wolfbaltierra...> [inland-NW-birders] Snowy Owl @ Seattle U
1/12/18 6:04 pm Terry Little <terry...> [inland-NW-birders] Lincoln County Today
1/12/18 12:09 pm Isacoff, Jon <isacoff...> [inland-NW-birders] Saltese Raptors
1/11/18 4:47 pm Matt Bartels <mattxyz...> [inland-NW-birders] Last chance to send in your guesses for the "Next 5 State Birds" contest
1/8/18 5:48 pm Shirley Sturts <shirley.sturts...> [inland-NW-birders] Kootenai and Benewah Counties Big Year
1/7/18 8:02 pm Tim O'Brien <kertim7179...> [inland-NW-birders] Spokane county - Prairie Falcon and more today
1/7/18 3:17 pm Bob <rflores_2...> Re: [inland-NW-birders] Canada Geese on the move
1/7/18 12:52 pm <mikescott7...> Re: [inland-NW-birders] Canada Geese on the move
1/6/18 8:43 pm Mike & MerryLynn <m.denny...> [inland-NW-birders] Lesser Black-backed Gull WWCo.
1/6/18 6:06 pm Terry Gray <clgtlg...> [inland-NW-birders] Canada Geese on the move
1/6/18 5:38 pm Catherine Temple <ctemple99...> [inland-NW-birders] Eagle count
1/6/18 1:42 pm Tina wynecoop <wynecoop...> [inland-NW-birders] Fwd: [Exploring Kootenay Lake] Jus wanna be me
1/4/18 1:30 pm Terry Little <terry...> [inland-NW-birders] Harris's Sparrow, no! But still good news
1/3/18 10:39 am Tim Brennan <tsbrennan...> [inland-NW-birders] Lewis County blog updated
1/3/18 7:45 am Mike & MerryLynn <m.denny...> Re: [inland-NW-birders] Walla Walla County January 1 Big Day results
1/2/18 9:37 pm Mike & MerryLynn <m.denny...> [inland-NW-birders] Walla Walla County January 1 Big Day results
1/2/18 3:12 pm Ben Bright <bencbright...> [inland-NW-birders] Moscow U of I arboretum Purple Finches
1/1/18 8:31 pm Doug Ward <dougward...> [inland-NW-birders] Kootenai Co. Kickoff - Kinda
1/1/18 7:59 pm Washington Birder <info...> [inland-NW-birders] 2017 Washington Birder List Reporting
1/1/18 5:03 pm Tim O'Brien <kertim7179...> [inland-NW-birders] New Year's Day birding in Spokane county
1/1/18 1:54 pm Terry Lane <tlane2022...> [inland-NW-birders] Bewick's Wren
12/30/17 9:45 pm Tim O'Brien <kertim7179...> [inland-NW-birders] Spokane CBC today - Western area highlights
12/27/17 12:23 pm RUSSELL FROBE <rrfrobe...> [inland-NW-birders] Redpolls
12/27/17 9:09 am Kerey Barnowe-Meyer <kereybm...> [inland-NW-birders] Columbian sharp-tailed grouse report from Nez Perce Co.
12/26/17 3:17 pm Carl Lundblad <carl.lundblad...> Re: [inland-NW-birders] Yellow Warbler? Swallows Park
12/25/17 5:50 pm <mikescott7...> Re: [inland-NW-birders] Yellow Warbler? Swallows Park
12/24/17 8:43 am Bryan <jami9197...> [inland-NW-birders] FW: LC CBC

Back to top
Date: 1/22/18 8:26 pm
From: Norm Engeland <nengeland...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] 3 Owl Afternoon
Birding the West Plains of Spokane and Lincoln County today was a raptor smorgasbird of all you could want varieties of Rough-legged and Red-tailed Hawks enjoying the afternoon sun on what seemed like every other power pole or perch.

But the main entree was Owl. Snowy on Morrison Rd as reported by Fran Haywood. Great Horned at Mondovi (Bennett Rd N) popping up on a power pole about 4:15 PM and then "whooing" from a hidden perch in a Spruce tree. And a couple of Short-eared Owls wafting over the grassland east of the North Fork Deep Creek bridge on W Mcfarlane Rd (S of Coulee Hite) about 4:45 PM.

About 5:15 the pair fluttered up out of the dark field and gracefully buoyed off into the last of the sunset--two silhouettes dancing into the sky and sparring with each other as they crossed flight paths, finally disappearing in the distance.

Thank God for grand creation,

Norm Engeland

Back to top
Date: 1/22/18 3:14 pm
From: Buchanan, Joseph B (DFW) <Joseph.Buchanan...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Short-eared Owl surveys
Volunteer for Short-eared Owl Surveys

The Western Asio flammeus Landscape Study (WAfLS) seeks volunteers to help complete an eight-state citizen science project designed to gather information to better evaluate the population status of the Short-eared Owl. The Short-eared Owl has been listed in many western states as a Species of Greatest Conservation Need and recent information indicates a substantial population decline. These surveys are a critical starting point to fill information gaps for this species. Results will inform conservation actions by agencies and partners.

Volunteers will enjoy rural western landscapes at twilight while completing one road-based survey during each of two survey windows (1 - 21 March and 22 March - 15 April). The surveys consist of driving on secondary roads in eastern Washington, stopping at 8 to 11 points to complete a five-minute survey. At each point volunteers will record detections of Short-eared Owls as well as some brief habitat information. The entire survey is completed within 90 minutes. Training material will be provided. Participants will need to follow field and data entry protocols, have use of a vehicle, have a GPS (or a smartphone), and be able to identify a Short-eared Owl. Survey locations have been randomly selected by project planners, but actual routes within those locations will be identified by volunteers.

Help fill information gaps by signing up for a survey in Washington (or any of the other participating states: CA, ID, MT, NV, OR, UT, WY)! Visit the website (www.avianknowledgenorthwest.net/citizen-science/short-eared-owls/33-sign-up<http://www.avianknowledgenorthwest.net/citizen-science/short-eared-owls/33-sign-up>) for more details including the protocol, reports and publications, and how to sign-up. For any questions contact your state coordinator for Washington, Joe Buchanan (<Joseph.Buchanan...><mailto:<Joseph.Buchanan...>). We also need participants in Washington to register as volunteers with WDFW at (https://wdfw.wa.gov/about/volunteer/); at this link please click "Register to Volunteer" to reach the registration site. Questions about volunteering with WDFW should be directed to Christine Redmond (<Christine.Redmond...><mailto:<Christine.Redmond...>).

Back to top
Date: 1/21/18 8:57 pm
From: Stephen Lacey <StephenLacey...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Snowy Owl
Thank-you, Fran Haywood, for the snowy owl tip. Although we arrived late in the day at the same time as the snow, we were able to spot the bird quickly along Morrison Road.

Back to top
Date: 1/21/18 7:17 pm
From: Isacoff, Jon <isacoff...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Heyburn SP
About half or more of the water around Heyburn SP is open and some bird were around, mostly Geese and other expected waterfowl and gulls. Two very large flocks of about 520 Common Mergansers were present. Also of note:

1 SNOW GOOSE
1 Domestic Swan Goose x Canada Hybrid (odd location)
7 Greater Scaup

On Conkling Rd. just above the park was a flock of about 100 COMMON REDPOLLS.

Good birding,
Jon Isacoff, Spokane

Back to top
Date: 1/21/18 12:27 pm
From: Fran Haywood <birders13...>
Chris Janett called yesterday & reported a Snowy Owl sitting on a sign at
the corner of Morrison & Janett roads just W of Davenport, WA Lincoln Co.

Back to top
Date: 1/19/18 1:20 pm
From: Michael Fulton <Michael_Ful...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] White-winged crossbill
I have a white-winged crossbill showing up at my feeder today in west Spokane.

Mike Fulton

Back to top
Date: 1/19/18 9:29 am
From: Tina wynecoop <wynecoop...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Townsend’s solitaire

Perched high in an old apple tree a single bird adds a new feature to winter today.
(Twelve miles north of I-90, between Spokane and Deer Park.)
Tina and Judge Wynecoop

Back to top
Date: 1/18/18 11:14 am
From: Terry Little <terry...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Morning at Peone Wetland
Hello,

This morning I spent an hour at the Peone Wetland. Had a few nice birds: Northern Harrier (1), Rough legged Hawk (1), Northern Shrike (2), Marsh Wren (1), SNOW BUNTING (2 - along entrance road to Feryn), AMERICAN TREE SPARROW (1), COMMON REDPOLL (7)

Blessings
Terry Little
Mead, Wa

Back to top
Date: 1/17/18 8:44 am
From: Kevin Lucas <vikingcove...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Eurasian Green-winged Teal drake
Friday I spotted a Eurasian Green-winged Teal (GWTE) drake near the
junction of Yakima, Benton, and Grant County, on the Columbia River
downstream from Priest Rapids Dam. It's the first one I've seen, exciting.
There's legal access at Jackson Creek Fish Camp Day Use Area. Saturday my
wife Mary & I went back and re-located it, but without any American GWTE in
sight. I saw it fly across the river to Grant County twice, and putter
downstream into Benton County for a while. I apologize for the delay in
sharing here. Birding on Priest Rapids Dam remains prohibited, and security
and video surveilance crews are aware of birders. Trespassing in the
Wanapum Village, on the Martinez Cattle Company private land, and on the
Yakima Training Center on the west side of the river remains trespassing.
Please don't. More information is under my photos on Flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/58148027@N07/25858040658/in/datetaken/

Yakima County checklist:

Good Birding,
Kevin Lucas
Selah, WA

http://listing.aba.org/ethics/

Back to top
Date: 1/16/18 2:41 pm
From: Tim O'Brien <kertim7179...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Spokane Snow Goose
Hello all,
This afternoon, I found an adult Snow Goose in a field at the Saltese wetlands.  It was with a large group of Canada Geese.  I viewed it from a pullout at the intersection of Henry and Molter.  I took some photos and will post later.
Also, of note, was a male Wood Duck in the flooded fields near the parking area for the Saltese Uplands.  12 Ring-billed Gulls were present as well.  Is it Spring yet?  I heard Song Sparrows singing today.
Tim O'Brien Spokane Valley, WA

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Back to top
Date: 1/15/18 8:42 pm
From: Matt Bartels <mattxyz...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] WA Birder county excel sheet updated for the new year
Hello again!

Michael Hobbs and I have updated the WA Birder Excel spreadsheet combining all the county codes in a sheet that allows you to tally your county totals [and do a bunch of other fun things]. Both the ‘enhanced’ version and the plain version are available at the Washington Birder website at:

http://wabirder.com/combined_county_list.html <http://wabirder.com/combined_county_list.html>

New this year, in addition to state and county firsts and some updates of a couple county abundance codes [mostly in Yakima & Cowlitz], we’ve added a couple other things: a. ‘date updated’ notations on the county needs lists, the map, etc.; b.totals for Eastern & Western WA are now shown on the map page; and c.total ticks are listed on the map page. Nothing major, but still fun to tweak.

Every year since 2003 I've updated this checklist, adding new species and county firsts, and revising it to comply with the latest taxonomic updates produced by the AOS & ABA. This year, the taxonomic sequence changed a good bit again — if you’d like to delve into the reasoning behind the AOS/ABA sequence changes, one place to look is a recent article I wrote for WOS News: http://wos.org/documents/wosnws/wosnews168.pdf#page=12 <http://wos.org/documents/wosnws/wosnews168.pdf#page=12> (“Revisions to the Washington State Checklist” ).

If you are looking for a color-coded way to track your county lists and/or see how abundant any species is in a given county, give the list a try.

With the 'enhanced' spreadsheet, you can generate county needs lists, see which counties you've seen or need any given species, and more. Instructions on using the spreadsheet are on the same page <http://wabirder.com/combined_county_list.html> linked above.

Instructions on transferring your data from an older copy of your spreadsheet to the new one are included at the website as well.

We look forward to feedback or suggestions, and would be happy to help troubleshoot problems if you run across them.

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA

Back to top
Date: 1/15/18 7:53 am
From: Matt Bartels <mattxyz...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Washington County Year List Project 2017 summary & 2018 launch
Hi Tweeters and INWBers -

Here’s the year-end report for the 2017 iteration of the county year list project. Results posted here:
http://wabirder.com/county_yearlist.html <http://wabirder.com/county_yearlist.html>

Another year has wrapped in this project of compiling county year-lists to build up a snapshot of the state. For 12 years, we’ve recruited compilers from every county to keep track of sightings. The idea behind the project is to get behind the fun of individual county listing to compile a ‘community’ list — rather than just birds seen by a single individual, we attempt to pull together birds seen by anyone over the course of the year. It provides one perspective on the birds of Washington in 2017.

Some results for 2017:
397 species were reported statewide. That a little above average [395.3] and three higher than last year.
318 species for Eastern Washington. That’s our lowest total ever, and well below average [324.3]
366 species for Western Washington. That’s above the average [363.8] and two higher than last year.

Record high totals were reported for ten counties: Clallam [306 - wow], Island [226], King [277], Lewis [203], Pierce [260], Snohomish [262], Chelan [235], Columbia [200], Ferry [206], and Whitman [224].

23 Counties came in with totals higher than last year, 14 came in lower, and two reported the same result his year and last.

28 counties had totals higher than their 2006-2017 average. 22 counties were within 10 species [+/-] of their average, a number lower than we’re normally seen and a sign perhaps that this year had more volatility in the coverage &/or bird appearance.

Another way to look at year-list effort is to compare a county’s year list with the overall total for that county’s list.
Six counties found over 75% of their total county list this year. This gives a little more attention to the surprisingly good year less-birded counties like Columbia, Ferry & Stevens had:
Yakima [78.7%], Clallam [77.9%], Columbia [77.5%], Ferry [77.4%], Lincoln [75.2%], and Stevens [75.1%].

Species:
83 species were seen in all 39 counties, 166 were seen in 30 or more counties. At the other end of the spectrum, 30 species were reported in only one county this year. Ten of those 30 species were seen only in Clallam County - to give a sense of Clallam’s recent stand-out status for rarities, the most ‘solo ticks’ any other county has is down at two.

There really were no totally surprising misses this year - the only missing species that is not a Washington Bird Records Committee review-list species was Black-throated Sparrow - an erratic species in the state.

In addition to the regular info at the link [http://wabirder.com/county_yearlist.html <http://wabirder.com/county_yearlist.html>] , I've included a simple sheet that compiles the annual county totals for each county from 2007-2017-- if you'd like to see how any county has trended over the years, this is the sheet to study.

2018 compiling is underway, and I encourage you to look up the compiler for counties you bird in and send along unusual sightings -- most compilers are checking eBird reports already, but eBird still misses a good bit and we appreciate the help making sure we hear about these sightings. You can find a list of the compilers at the above link

One more request: If you’ve read this far, and if you do any birding in Klickitat County [or would like motivation to do so this year] — I’m looking for a compiler for Klickitat and would love to hear from you!

Thanks to all the compilers who track each county, and here's to a fun and surprising 2018. If you notice anything not noted on the 2017 list, let us know and make a resolution to report your sightings to the compiler this year .

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA

Back to top
Date: 1/13/18 1:10 pm
From: Richard Baltierra <wolfbaltierra...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Snowy Owl @ Seattle U
I figured it'd be worth sharing that a Snowy Owl was discovered on Seattle
University's campus. Maybe Snowy Owls are on the move yet again and it may
worth checking local spots for them.

RJ Baltierra

Back to top
Date: 1/12/18 6:04 pm
From: Terry Little <terry...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Lincoln County Today
Hello,

I spent the day in eastern Lincoln County today, somewhat hampered by the heavy fog, but still having a pretty good day.

DETOUR RD: SNOW BUNTINGS (2), Gray Partridge (22), Prairie Falcon

MILL CANYON: COMMON REDPOLL (22- 2 flocks), RED-BREASTED MERGANSER, Canvasback, Redhead, Golden Eagle, Horned Grebe, Killdeer

Blessings
Terry Little
Mead, Wa

Back to top
Date: 1/12/18 12:09 pm
From: Isacoff, Jon <isacoff...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Saltese Raptors
Today (and presumably for the next few weeks or more) there was a huge concentration of raptors in the Saltese Wetlands area of Spokane. Species included:

1 Cooper’s Hawk
3 Northern Harrier
1 Bald Eagle
28+ Red-tailed Hawk
10 Rough-legged Hawk
2 American Kestrel

Good birding,
Jon Isacoff, Spokane

Back to top
Date: 1/11/18 4:47 pm
From: Matt Bartels <mattxyz...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Last chance to send in your guesses for the "Next 5 State Birds" contest
Hi all - a reminder that I’m collecting guesses for a contest to guess the next 5 birds for the WA State list.

We ran this contest last year and seven birds were added before I could wrap up the contest! My write-up of that round and the results from all the guesses can be found in WOS News 170 at this link: http://wos.org/documents/wosnws/wosnews170.pdf#page=12 <http://wos.org/documents/wosnws/wosnews170.pdf#page=12>

To join this time around, check out the article [and the linked older ones], read through the current list, and send in your guesses by emailing me.

Deadline to submit is this weekend — after that I’ll write up the guesses and get them in a coming issue of WOS news. Then the waiting begins anew to see who does the best.

Thanks,

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA

Back to top
Date: 1/8/18 5:48 pm
From: Shirley Sturts <shirley.sturts...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Kootenai and Benewah Counties Big Year
I have started the Kootenai and Benewah Counties Big Year on our Audubon
Chapter Website. You find these under "Projects" . I list the first date
I know of that a bird was sighted for the year - where it was seen and the
person that reported it. Let me know if you see a bird not already
reported of have an earlier date for one that is reported.

The Kooternai County list has 51 species as of Jan. 6

http://cdaaudubon.org/Projects/kootenaico2018.htm

The Benewah Couty list has 35 species as of Jan. 6

http://cdaaudubon.org/Projects/benewahco2018.htm

Shirley Sturts

Back to top
Date: 1/7/18 8:02 pm
From: Tim O'Brien <kertim7179...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Spokane county - Prairie Falcon and more today
Howdy folks,

Today, Sunday, January 7, I visited a few spots in the county I have yet to visit since the new year started.  First off, I walked around Riverfront Park (downtown Spokane) and was immediately greeted by 40 American Crows.  They flew over me where I parked and one blessed me with a dropping.  It was an omen for a good day!  Then crossing the Spokane River from the access immediately behind the Arena, I quickly found a lone American Dipper bobbing next to the fast moving water.  Near the Imax, I found a small flock of Black-capped and Mountain Chickadees, a Red-breasted Nuthatch, and a Brown Creeper.  Near the big wagon, Mallards and a couple American Wigeon were calmly feeding in the grass.

I then moved west and toured some of the West Plains area, mainly concentrating on the area south of US2.  On Ladd Road, just south of Hallet Road, I stopped for a Great Blue Heron hunting in a grassy field.  While watching it, I saw a small flock of birds quickly flush and land in the tall grass.  They must have been scared by the Prairie Falcon that I soon spotted after they disappeared into the grass.  The falcon perched on top of a bare snag tree above a farm house allowing a great scope view.  I suspect the flushed birds were partridge, but I never could confirm.  I did spend some time scoping the grass where I thought they landed, but couldn't find them.  Along Stroup Road, I found my first Horned Larks.  Also, I observed several Red-tailed Hawks and one American Kestrel on the drive, but no Rough-legged.

I ended my trip with visits along the Spokane River in Riverside State Park.  I stopped at Duck Corner, Nine Mile Dam, and the confluence.  I picked a few new year birds at these stops including Gadwall, Hooded Merganser, Pied-billed Grebe, and Golden-crowned Kinglet.  However, it was getting late and song-bird activity seemed very low.

Good birding,

Tim O'Brien
Spokane Valley, WA
mailto: kertim7179 at yahoo dot com

Back to top
Date: 1/7/18 3:17 pm
From: Bob <rflores_2...>
Subject: Re: [inland-NW-birders] Canada Geese on the move
I help with goose count on Ridgefield NWR, Clark C, WA. We noticed it appears spring migration has started early. Doing these counts for years we know when spring migration begins by the higher frequency of all the subspecies of white-cheeked geese. So now it is time to look for rarer birds moving as well.

Bob Flores
Ridgefield, WA

> On Jan 7, 2018, at 12:52, "<mikescott7...>" <mikescott7...> wrote:
>
> Greetings all
>
> I birded the Genese area this morning. The geese were still moving with multiple groups the size Terry described and more than 800 in one flock flying high and north.
> Seen from Old Highway 95.
>

> Cheers
>
> Mike Scott
> ---- Terry Gray <clgtlg...> wrote:
>> HI Birders,
>>
>> While Kirsten Dahl and I were running the Moscow South Raptor run this
>> morning we observed Many flocks from 20 to 80 flying quite high from south
>> to north east and then a few as we neared Moscow east flying north. Well
>> over 2000 individuals.
>>
>> Good Birding.
>>
>> Terry Gray
>> 890 Stefany Ln
>> Moscow ID 83843
>> 208-596-5212
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/terryandchristine/
>>

>> ---
>> http://www.avg.com

Back to top
Date: 1/7/18 12:52 pm
From: <mikescott7...>

---- Terry Gray <clgtlg...> wrote:
> HI Birders,
>
> While Kirsten Dahl and I were running the Moscow South Raptor run this
> morning we observed Many flocks from 20 to 80 flying quite high from south
> to north east and then a few as we neared Moscow east flying north. Well
> over 2000 individuals.
>
> Good Birding.
>
> Terry Gray
> 890 Stefany Ln
> Moscow ID 83843
> 208-596-5212
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/terryandchristine/
>

> ---
> http://www.avg.com

Back to top
Date: 1/6/18 8:43 pm
From: Mike & MerryLynn <m.denny...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Lesser Black-backed Gull WWCo.
Hello all,

We headed up to Lower Monumental Dam today where Mike chummed for gulls.
A LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL showed up with the more common gulls - nice
year bird for Walla Walla County.

On the way up we enjoyed nice views of 16 Rough-legged Hawks - windy day
so they were up hovering above the hills. A couple SAY'S PHOEBES
surprised us - don't know how they survived the week of bitter cold
here. A Rock Wren was above the dam near the cliffs. We also found the
reported AMERICAN TREE SPARROWS east of Scott Station Rd. Jim & Sue
found a COMMON REDPOLL on Donnelly Rd - in with over 300 American
Goldfinches.

Yesterday a couple GLAUCOUS GULLS showed up - one at 2Rivers and another
at Casey pond. Mike chummed at the WWRdelta and pulled in a Mew and
Thayer's Gull. A Red-breasted Merganser was at 2Rivers - another year bird.

Good birding, M&ML

--
Mike & MerryLynn Denny
Birding the Beautiful Walla Walla Valley

Back to top

Date: 1/6/18 5:38 pm
From: Catherine Temple <ctemple99...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Eagle count
The Canyon Birders did our annual eagle count today along the Snake River.
Though the day started out foggy and gray it eventually gave way to some
much needed sunshine and some views of a golden eagle high on the bluffs.
Though the photo isn't great it still tells the story.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ctemple/39546869131/in/dateposted-public/

​We also caught a western bluebird out enjoying the sun, too.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ctemple/25676225038/in/dateposted-public/

​Total count for the day was 10 bald eagles and 2 golden eagles.​

--

*Catherine Temple*

*Pet Portrait and Wildlife Artist*

*Clarkston, WA.(208) 791-7052*
<ctemple99...>

www.catherinetemple.com

Date: 1/6/18 1:42 pm
From: Tina wynecoop <wynecoop...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Fwd: [Exploring Kootenay Lake] Jus wanna be me

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: alistair <alistair...><mailto:<alistair...>>
Date: January 6, 2018 at 6:22:17 AM PST
To: <alistair...><mailto:<alistair...>>
Subject: [Exploring Kootenay Lake] Jus wanna be me

Exploring Kootenay Lake has posted a new item, 'Jus wanna be me'

Going my own way.

You may view the latest post at
http://blog.kootenay-lake.ca/?p=22562

You received this e-mail because you asked to be notified when new updates are
posted.

the form at the bottom of the right-hand column. Then click unsubscribe.

Alistair

Back to top
Date: 1/4/18 1:30 pm
From: Terry Little <terry...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Harris's Sparrow, no! But still good news
Hello,

It seems that the Harris's Sparrow has left my feeding station. I saw on the afternoon of Jan 2, but not since. However, a Spotted Towhee has now taken up residence in the same feeding area. This is the first towhee I have had here in the winter. Also, someone here today reported seeing 2 Common Redpolls. They have been sporadic over the past month.

In the nearby neighborhood of Eaglewood, it seems that a pretty consistent flock of about 50 Clark's Nutcrackers continue to hang around. The central area of their location seems to be between Mt Spokane Rd and Day Mt Spokane Rd, east of Hwy 2 along Yale Rd (sometimes near the Maverick Mart on corner of Yale and Day Mt Spokane Rd). I have had them in my own yard and heard them off in a distance from my yard this morning. Saw them later along Yale.

Blessings
Terry Little
Mead, Wa

Back to top
Date: 1/3/18 10:39 am
From: Tim Brennan <tsbrennan...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Lewis County blog updated
Hey all!

The Lewis County blog for 1/1 has been updated. In general, the food pictures will outshine the bird pictures as always, although Kevin saved the day once or twice there. I will try to be more diligent about getting the expected distant, blurry bird photos in the future.

Enjoy!

Www.lewiscountybirding.blogspot.com

Tim Brennan
Renton

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 1/3/18 7:45 am
From: Mike & MerryLynn <m.denny...>
Subject: Re: [inland-NW-birders] Walla Walla County January 1 Big Day results
Well I just received two reports of Great Egrets - so now we are at 118!

ML

Date: 1/2/18 9:37 pm
From: Mike & MerryLynn <m.denny...>
Hello all,

Thanks to 15 dedicated birders on January 1 we beat our record by 1 this
year. Found 117 species in Walla Walla County - despite the cold and icy
conditions. Misses - Mew Gull, Great Egret, Red-breasted Merganser,
Golden Eagle, Ruffed Grouse, Pygmy Owl, Crossbill, Cassin's Finch and
Redpoll. And no Snowy Owl. Even the pipits were gone and no Anna's
Hummers despite 1 report on the 31st.

Did find a Ferruginous Hawk, Swamp Sparrow, Northern Goshawk and all the
expected waterfowl.

Ended 2017 with 257 species in the county - our record is 262.

Complete list at blumtn.org under county birds.

Have a birdy 2018 from Mike & MerryLynn

Date: 1/2/18 3:12 pm
From: Ben Bright <bencbright...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Moscow U of I arboretum Purple Finches
Hi birders,

I photographed 2 Purple Finches this afternoon in the northwestern side of
the University of Idaho arboretum. One was an immature male with some hints
of red on his back. There were definitely 2, but possibly 3 individuals. A
large flock of about 300 Bohemian Waxwings was also present and feeding on
crab apples. Checklist with photos here:

Ben Bright

Back to top
Date: 1/1/18 8:31 pm
From: Doug Ward <dougward...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Kootenai Co. Kickoff - Kinda
Happy New Year all.  No real plans to run out for a Jan 1st Big Day (1 Jan.'18), just taking care of a few cores we hadn't gotten to yet around the house.  But, not long into the day, we had a STELLAR'S JAY show up at our feeders (Hayden, ID) which was a first in months, followed shortly by the pair (2) of BLUE JAYs which we hadn't seen since Thanksgiving!! Great start considering our pack (~10-15) of COMMON REDPOLLs were amongst the first birds I noticed this morning, and a bit later in the morning "Fat Eddie Jr.", our continuing immature male ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRD made a brief showing, so a great way to start the year as well as our annual yard list.

Our daughter is home recuperating from knee surgery and suffering a little cabin fever, so I suggested taking a drive down to Lake Coeur d'Alene (Kootenai Co., ID) to see a few BALD EAGLEs...plus Dad could sneak in a little gull watching as well.  We headed out to Wolf Lodge Bay, then circled around to Blue Creek Bay then on to Higgin's Point and Bennett Bay.  Still quite a few eagles around plucking off the last of the spawning Kokanee, but unfortunately I wasn't able to get the gull fix I was hoping for in that there were literally only three (3) individual gulls on the entire eastern end of the lake, all at Wolf Lodge!  The only saving grace is that of the three gulls, there were three (3) species including an adult MEW GULL which has been hanging out at Wolf Lodge (usually where the creek enters the bay) for awhile now.  The only other bird of note was a female RED-BREASTED MERGANSER in with a decent size group of COMMONs at Bennett Bay.  If you'd like directions to these specific spots on the northeastern part of the lake, please let me know separately.
So while not a Big Day per se, added a few good ones to start off our annual Kootenai County Year List.  Hope you were able to get out a bit to start off your 2018.
Happy New Year,Doug
1 January 2018 Loch Haven, Hayden, Kootenai Co., ID

California Quail – 15

Morning Dove – 1

ANNA’S HUMMINGBIRD – 1 imm male

Downy Woodpecker – 1m 1f    -         1m “Eastern” subsp

Northern Flicker – 1m “Red-shafted”

Steller’s Jay – 1

BLUE JAY – 2

Black-billed Magpie – 2

Common Raven – 1

Black-capped Chickadee – 4

Mountain Chickadee – 3

Red-breasted Nuthatch – 3

Pygmy Nuthatch – 2

Dark-eyed Junco – 15 “Oregon”    -         1m 1f “Slate-colored”    -         1m “Cassiar”

Song Sparrow – 5

House Finch – 10

COMMON REDPOLL – 10

Pine Siskin – 1

1 January 2018 Wolf Lodge Bay, Lake Coeur d’Alene, Kootenai Co., ID

Canada Goose – 100

Mallard – 10

Lesser Scaup – 3

Bufflehead – 15

Common Goldeneye – 50

Hooded Merganser – 10

Common Merganser – 30

Horned Grebe – 1

Red-necked Grebe – 1

Double-crested Cormorant – 10

Bald Eagle – 25 ad, 5 imm

Ring-billed Gull – 1 ad

MEW GULL – 1 ad

Herring Gull – 1 ad

Belted Kingfisher – 1m

Common Raven – 2

1 January 2018  BennettBay, Lake Coeur d’Alene, Kootenai Co., ID

Canada Goose – 75

Mallard – 5

Bufflehead – 10

Common Goldeneye – 15

Common Merganser – 50

RED-BREASTED MERGANSER – 1f

Red-necked Grebe - 1

Double-crested Cormorant – 3

Back to top
Date: 1/1/18 7:59 pm
From: Washington Birder <info...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] 2017 Washington Birder List Reporting
It's timeto submit Washington List Reports to Washington Birder.
ListReport (and Big Day) forms are available on the Washington Birder website: http://www.wabirder.com/forms.html
Afew reminders:
Includethe year (2017) and your name on the form in the two yellow highlightedboxes.
Besure to save the list when you have completed adding your totals.
Includeyour name in the subject line when you email your list report <toinfo...>

ListReports should be sent by January 31, 2018.

Preferto mail your List Report?
WashingtonBirder
2604NE 80th ST
Vancouver,WA 98665

LaurieKnittle/Washington Birder
Vancouver,WA

Back to top
Date: 1/1/18 5:03 pm
From: Tim O'Brien <kertim7179...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] New Year's Day birding in Spokane county
Hi all,

I got out today and checked a few places to start the year off..

First birds were yard birds - American Goldfinch and House Finch.

Saltese Wetlands - found a feeder with 2 Common Redpolls.  Lots of raptors out in the wetlands today - Close to twenty Red-tailed Hawks, 8 Rough-legged Hawks, 2 Bald Eagles, and 2 Northern Harriers.  Added a Sharp-shinned Hawk and a Cooper's Hawk as well on the way back into the neighborhood.

Feryn Conversation Area (Peone) - tough search, but managed to find one American Tree Sparrow there below the parking area.  Single flyover of a Common Redpoll here, too.

Crossover Church - Harris's Sparrow still continues - thanks Terry!  Another Sharp-shinned Hawk here that scattered most of the birds.

Wandemere Pond - Loads of Ring-necked Duck, both Goldeneyes, Bufflehead, Common Merganser, and 4 Lesser Scaup.

Pics and checklists on eBird!

Happy New Year all!

Date: 1/1/18 1:54 pm
From: Terry Lane <tlane2022...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Bewick's Wren
Not sure if it's of much interest but we had a Bewick's Wren 10 miles East
of Grangeville, Id. this morning. It responded to Bewick's song on wifes
smartfone and gave us multiple excellent looks right out truck window. 15
feet away. Cool.
Terry Lane
Grangeville, Id.
Idaho County

Back to top
Date: 12/30/17 9:45 pm
From: Tim O'Brien <kertim7179...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Spokane CBC today - Western area highlights
Today, Fred Parent and I covered areas in the western portion of the Spokane CBC.  Despite the crazy weather the day before, today was a great day although some roads were still very slick.  We opted to stay on the more traveled roads today.  The sun was out at times and there was a little wind at the beginning of the day.  Here are a few of our highlights:

Northern Goshawk - found two from the Palisades Park parking area.  Both were in very close proximity to each other.  One adult sat in a tree-top for a couple minutes allowing excellent scope views.

Rough-legged Hawk - one cruising high above Indian Canyon - not expected in this location.

Sharp-shinned Hawk - one hunting at the top end of Indian Canyon

Townsend's Solitaire - one in Finch Arboretum

Varied Thrush - 2 with a couple Robins in Finch Arboretum

All in all a nice day!  We didn't have to worry about frostbite today which is always great!

Happy New Year!

Date: 12/27/17 12:23 pm
From: RUSSELL FROBE <rrfrobe...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Redpolls
Hi,
Today I seem to have common redpolls, mostly at the thistle feeder. Earlier there were at least 5 of them, but I'm still gettting 1 or 2 the rest of the day.
Marian Frobe
North Spokane, near Northtown.

Sent from my iPad

Back to top
Date: 12/27/17 9:09 am
From: Kerey Barnowe-Meyer <kereybm...>
Subject: [inland-NW-birders] Columbian sharp-tailed grouse report from Nez Perce Co.
A biologist in our office reported seeing a Columbian sharp-tailed grouse on Sunday, 12/24/2017 near Lewiston, ID. Location was on Powers Ave./475 Road west of Mann Lake, approximately 1/10th mile east of 28th Street. He reports a solitary bird (sex unk.) standing directly in the road, allowing him and his wife to get a close look at it before it flushed northward. No reports from Nez Perce Co. in eBird, so I thought I'd put the word out.

For some interesting historical context, Maj. (then Capt.) C. Bendire, stationed at Fort Lapwai from 1868 to 1871, made a detailed study of sharp-tailed grouse in this area (see Bendire, Charles. 1892. Life histories of North American birds with special reference to their breeding habits and eggs with twelve lithographic plates. Vol. 28. Washington DC: The Smithsonian Institution):

"It is one of the most abundant and best known game birds of the Northwest, inhabiting the prairie country to be found along the foothills of the numerous mountain chains intersecting its range; seldom venturing into the wooded portions for any distance, and then only during the winter months, when it is partially migratory in certain sections....

At Fort Lapwai, Idaho, this Grouse was exceedingly common about twenty years ago, but it is much less so now. It then gathered into large packs during the late fall and winter, frequently numbering two hundred and more."

He goes on to note:

"This fine game bird is decreasing very rapidly throughout its range. It does not seem to prosper in the vicinity of man, and as the country is becoming more and more settled, it recedes before civilization. As it is not a particularly shy bird, it falls an easy victim to the gunner.

In Oregon, Washington, and Idaho, where it used to be exceedingly abundant a decade ago, it is every year becoming rarer, and at the present rate of decrease will not be long before it will be numbered among the game birds of the past, at least in all fertile portions of the country, retaining only a precarious foothold in the more sterile sections of these States where the lands are too poor and rocky to be successfully cultivated."

Kerey

[cid:<image001.png...>]

Back to top
Date: 12/26/17 3:17 pm
From: Carl Lundblad <carl.lundblad...>
Subject: Re: [inland-NW-birders] Yellow Warbler? Swallows Park
For clarification, I photographed a Yellow Warbler at Swallows in December
2016. The current bird was found by Scott O'Donnell, but it seems very
likely that it could be the same individual back for a second winter.
Great find, Scott!

Carl Lundblad
Moscow, ID

On Monday, December 25, 2017, <mikescott7...> wrote:

> Carl
>
> Looks like a keeper! Nice work.
>
> Cheers
> Mike
> ---- Charles Swift <chaetura...> wrote:
> > Sure looks like a Yellow Warbler. Nice find! Carl Lunblad also found one
> > there in December and seems reasonable that it could be the same
> > individual.
> >
> > On Sat, Dec 23, 2017, 12:23 AM Scott O'Donnell <scott...>
> wrote:
> >
> > > I finally got around to stopping at Swallows Park to add a couple of
> > > gulls to my Life List today. I was successful with the Lesser
> > > Black-backed but not the Iceland gull. Thanks to those who have been
> > > posting about them! I also found what looks to be a female yellow
> > > warbler, or even possibly a young male. I originally posted it to ebird
> > > as an Orange-crowned but didn't feel good about it. Once I got home and
> > > looked at the photos I switched it to a Yellow. I would really
> > > appreciate others opinions on it. Here's the link to my list with a few
> > > photos: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41254802
> > >
> > > Cheers!
> > >
> > > Scott O'Donnell
> > >
> > > Troy, Wallowa County
> > >
> > > Message sent from "The Bird Aquarium".
> > >
> > --
> > Charles Swift
> > Moscow, Idaho
> > <chaetura...>

Back to top
Date: 12/25/17 5:50 pm
From: <mikescott7...>
Carl

Looks like a keeper! Nice work.

Cheers
Mike
---- Charles Swift <chaetura...> wrote:
> Sure looks like a Yellow Warbler. Nice find! Carl Lunblad also found one
> there in December and seems reasonable that it could be the same
> individual.
>
> On Sat, Dec 23, 2017, 12:23 AM Scott O'Donnell <scott...> wrote:
>
> > I finally got around to stopping at Swallows Park to add a couple of
> > gulls to my Life List today. I was successful with the Lesser
> > Black-backed but not the Iceland gull. Thanks to those who have been
> > posting about them! I also found what looks to be a female yellow
> > warbler, or even possibly a young male. I originally posted it to ebird
> > as an Orange-crowned but didn't feel good about it. Once I got home and
> > looked at the photos I switched it to a Yellow. I would really
> > appreciate others opinions on it. Here's the link to my list with a few
> > photos: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41254802
> >
> > Cheers!
> >
> > Scott O'Donnell
> >
> > Troy, Wallowa County