OSBirds
Received From Subject
7/14/18 7:42 am Andrew Mason <andymason...> [osbirds] <osbirds...> [osbirds] NYS Ornithological Assoc. Annual Meeting Oct. 5-7 registration info
7/13/18 12:28 pm Thomas Salo <salothomas...> [osbirds] <osbirds...> Re: [osbirds] Cuckoo
7/13/18 10:02 am 'Scheim, Charles' <scheimc...> [osbirds] <osbirds...> Re: [osbirds] Cuckoo
7/13/18 9:57 am John S Davis new <davi7js4...> [osbirds] <osbirds...> Re: [osbirds] Cuckoo
7/13/18 8:31 am Charles Scheim <scheimc...> [osbirds] <osbirds...> [osbirds] Cuckoo
7/11/18 6:48 pm Charles Scheim <scheimc...> [osbirds] <osbirds...> [osbirds] Grebe
7/9/18 2:20 pm Alice Pantaleoni <alicehp24...> [osbirds] <osbirds...> Re: [osbirds] Brewster's Warbler photo II
7/9/18 6:28 am Andrew Mason <andymason...> [osbirds] <osbirds...> [osbirds] Brewster's Warbler photo II
7/9/18 6:17 am Andrew Mason <andymason...> [osbirds] <osbirds...> [osbirds] Brewster's Warbler photo
7/9/18 5:16 am 'Marion Karl' <wkarl...> [osbirds] <osbirds...> Re: [osbirds] Brewster's Warbler--Jefferson
7/8/18 7:20 am Andrew Mason <andymason...> [osbirds] <osbirds...> [osbirds] Brewster's Warbler--Jefferson
7/5/18 10:42 am 'Marion Karl' <wkarl...> [osbirds] <osbirds...> Re: [osbirds] Broadwing, Red-Tail and Loons
7/5/18 9:46 am Suzanne Gaynor <suzanne.gaynor5...> [osbirds] <osbirds...> Re: [osbirds] Broadwing, Red-Tail and Loons
7/5/18 8:41 am Thomas Salo <salothomas...> [osbirds] <osbirds...> Re: [osbirds] Broadwing, Red-Tail and Loons
7/4/18 4:36 pm Suzanne Gaynor <suzanne.gaynor5...> [osbirds] <osbirds...> [osbirds] Broadwing, Red-Tail and Loons
7/1/18 5:07 am 'Bright, Sandy' <brights...> [osbirds] <osbirds...> [osbirds] Merlin
6/29/18 12:05 pm <aurore...> [osbirds] <osbirds...> [osbirds] Birding can be very rewarding for businesses.
6/26/18 6:09 am John S Davis new <davi7js4...> [osbirds] <osbirds...> [osbirds] Killdeer in charge!
6/25/18 7:00 pm <aurore...> [osbirds] <osbirds...> [osbirds] see Audubon prints and read about each bird
6/24/18 2:01 pm <huneked...> [osbirds] <osbirds...> [osbirds] Immature bald eagles

Back to top
Date: 7/14/18 7:42 am
From: Andrew Mason <andymason...> [osbirds] <osbirds...>
Subject: [osbirds] NYS Ornithological Assoc. Annual Meeting Oct. 5-7 registration info

NYSOA Annual Meeting Announcement

*2018 NYSOA 71^st Annual Meeting and New York State Birders Conference*

This year’s New York State Ornithological Association Annual Meeting
will be held Friday-Sunday October 5-7 in the Rochester suburb of
Henrietta, NY, hosted by Burroughs Audubon Nature Club and Rochester
Birding Association. This conference will be chock-full of exciting
field trips, terrific speakers, a Friday night buffet followed by
two workshops, and a Saturday evening banquet featuring keynote
speaker Greg Miller, the birder whose Big Year was the basis of the
movie and book, /The Big Year/.
*
The early-bird deadline to register is fast approaching - August
15*. For details about the meeting and to print registration forms,
visit www.nybirds.org
<https://nybirds.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=636de0195277198115c941a34&id=6c63dd95be&e=2f537d382e> or
www.bancny.org
<https://nybirds.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=636de0195277198115c941a34&id=44d8cbed7f&e=2f537d382e>.

ONLINE REGISTRATION can be found here:
https://rochesterbirding.com/nysoa-reg/
<https://nybirds.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=636de0195277198115c941a34&id=b2afececd5&e=2f537d382e>
DIRECT LINK TO PRINTABLE REGISTRATION FORM:
http://www.nybirds.org/Articles/AnnMtg2018details+RegForm.pdf
<https://nybirds.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=636de0195277198115c941a34&id=1b036d7473&e=2f537d382e>

We hope to see you at the conference!

Bob Spahn and Shirley Shaw
Meeting Co-Chairs

Click here for a Word Document containing the Announcement
<https://nybirds.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=636de0195277198115c941a34&id=648cbd4083&e=2f537d382e>.

--
Andrew Mason
1039 Peck St.

Back to top
Date: 7/13/18 12:28 pm
From: Thomas Salo <salothomas...> [osbirds] <osbirds...>
Subject: Re: [osbirds] Cuckoo
Both are here in Burlington.

Tom Salo

On Jul 13, 2018 1:02 PM, "'Scheim, Charles' <scheimc...> [osbirds]"
<osbirds...> wrote:

> No, I haven't heard a Yellow-billed in several years. I wonder if they
> have disappeared from our area for the most part?
> Charlie
>
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 12:57 PM, John S Davis new <davi7js4...>
> [osbirds] <osbirds...> wrote:
>

>> Black-billed Cuckoo also singing here yesterday evening, somewhere in the
>> large field south of my house. I’ve also heard an occasional Yellow-billed
>> Cuckoo here in past years, not recently.
>>
>> John Davis
>>
>> On Jul 13, 2018, at 11:30 AM, Charles Scheim <scheimc...>
>> [osbirds] <osbirds...> wrote:
>>
>> Today while golfing in Laurens, I heard a Black-billed Cuckoo calling
>> several times.
>>
>> It seems that I’ve heard B.B. Cuckoos quite a bit more often this year
>> than in the last few years, when I noticed hardly any.
>> Charlie
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone

>> John S. Davis
>> 190 Ottaway Road
>> <https://maps.google.com/?q=190+Ottaway+Road+Cooperstown+NY+13326&entry=gmail&source=g>
>> Cooperstown NY 13326
>> <https://maps.google.com/?q=190+Ottaway+Road+Cooperstown+NY+13326&entry=gmail&source=g>
>> <davi7js4...>
>> 607-547-9688
>> cell 607-544-4032
>>

> --
> Dr. Charles H. Scheim
> Mathematics Dept
> Hartwick College
> Oneonta, NY 13820
> 607-431-4736
>
> Come to Hartwick. Get a real education. Live a good life. Help make the
> world a better place.
> - David Cody

Back to top
Date: 7/13/18 10:02 am
From: 'Scheim, Charles' <scheimc...> [osbirds] <osbirds...>

Date: 7/13/18 9:57 am
From: John S Davis new <davi7js4...> [osbirds] <osbirds...>
Black-billed Cuckoo also singing here yesterday evening, somewhere in the large field south of my house. I’ve also heard an occasional Yellow-billed Cuckoo here in past years, not recently.

John Davis

> On Jul 13, 2018, at 11:30 AM, Charles Scheim <scheimc...> [osbirds] <osbirds...> wrote:
>
> Today while golfing in Laurens, I heard a Black-billed Cuckoo calling
> several times.
>
> It seems that I’ve heard B.B. Cuckoos quite a bit more often this year
> than in the last few years, when I noticed hardly any.
> Charlie
>
> Sent from my iPhone

John S. Davis
190 Ottaway Road
Cooperstown NY 13326
<davi7js4...>
607-547-9688
cell 607-544-4032

Back to top
Date: 7/13/18 8:31 am
From: Charles Scheim <scheimc...> [osbirds] <osbirds...>
Subject: [osbirds] Cuckoo
Today while golfing in Laurens, I heard a Black-billed Cuckoo calling
several times.

It seems that I’ve heard B.B. Cuckoos quite a bit more often this year
than in the last few years, when I noticed hardly any.
Charlie

Sent from my iPhone

All postings to osbirds are protected by copyright law.

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
<osbirds-digest...>
<osbirds-fullfeatured...>

<osbirds-unsubscribe...>

Back to top
Date: 7/11/18 6:48 pm
From: Charles Scheim <scheimc...> [osbirds] <osbirds...>
Subject: [osbirds] Grebe
This morning while Sandy and I were out birding, we found a Pied-bill
Grebe in a pond on upper West Street in Oneonta.

Date: 7/9/18 2:20 pm
From: Alice Pantaleoni <alicehp24...> [osbirds] <osbirds...>
Subject: Re: [osbirds] Brewster's Warbler photo II
Thank you for embedding this one! If there was another one in your other
email it didn't come through.

Date: 7/9/18 6:28 am
From: Andrew Mason <andymason...> [osbirds] <osbirds...>
Subject: [osbirds] Brewster's Warbler photo II
Photo by Barb Palmer of Brewster's Warbler spotted on Sunday in Jefferson.

Brewster's Warbler

--
Andrew Mason
1039 Peck St.

Back to top

Date: 7/9/18 5:16 am
From: 'Marion Karl' <wkarl...> [osbirds] <osbirds...>
While birding with Barb Palmer on her property in Jefferson, Schoharie Co. this morning, we spotted a Brewster's Warbler--Blue-winged x Golden-winged Warbler hybrid.
Barb got a pretty good photo-I'll see if I can post it.

Andy Mason

--
Andrew Mason
1039 Peck St.

Back to top

Date: 7/5/18 10:42 am
From: 'Marion Karl' <wkarl...> [osbirds] <osbirds...>
Subject: Re: [osbirds] Broadwing, Red-Tail and Loons
Thanks for getting back to me. The reason I asked was because quite a number of years ago, at least 25 years I met woman in the Adirondacks who was making a study of loons up there. Her name was Judith McIntyre and she and her husband were scientifically studying loons. I got to know her well enough to persuade her to come to Otsego Lake because like now people were seeing them in the summer on Otsego Lake. She traveled around Otsego Lake and told me that she doubted that loons would be likely to nest here because of the amount of human activity and because there were really no little coves where loons like to nest to be away from the traffic of the main body of the lake. The only place it might possibly happen was the little inlet known as Goodyear Swamp near where the opera is located now. She suggested building a floating island and setting it there, which was done. I remember checking it out for awhile but loons never used it. You can goggle Judith McIntyre. She was quite well know at the time.

Marion

Date: 7/5/18 9:46 am
From: Suzanne Gaynor <suzanne.gaynor5...> [osbirds] <osbirds...>

<osbirds...> wrote:

> Loons are present on Otsego and Canadarago Lakes sometimes in summer. I
> have never heard that breeding has been confirmed.
>
> Tom Salo
>
> On Jul 4, 2018 7:36 PM, "Suzanne Gaynor <suzanne.gaynor5...>
> [osbirds]" <osbirds...> wrote:
>
>> This afternoon I heard a Broad-Wing Hawk calling. When I looked up to
>> locate it, I saw two circling hawks. One was a Red-Tail and the other the
>> Broad-Wing. They were circling quite near each other, almost as if they
>> were together. The Broad-Wing took one or two swipes at the RT while I
>> watched, but then they just wandered apart, still circling but not as close
>> to each other. I'd never seen that before. This was in East Meredith.
>>
>> My husband and I have been taking sailing lessons at the sailing club on
>> Otsego Lake. The lessons are 6-8 in the evening and I find myself being
>> inattentive to the lessons because the birding is very nice at that time..
>> I've heard Loon's calling each evening. I had no idea Loons were nesting on
>> Otsego Lake but was assured they are. How nice!
>> Suzanne
>>
>> Sent from my iPad

>> All postings to osbirds are protected by copyright law.
>>
>> ------------------------------------
>>
>> Yahoo Groups Links

Back to top
Date: 7/5/18 8:41 am
From: Thomas Salo <salothomas...> [osbirds] <osbirds...>

[osbirds]" <osbirds...> wrote:

> This afternoon I heard a Broad-Wing Hawk calling. When I looked up to
> locate it, I saw two circling hawks. One was a Red-Tail and the other the
> Broad-Wing. They were circling quite near each other, almost as if they
> were together. The Broad-Wing took one or two swipes at the RT while I
> watched, but then they just wandered apart, still circling but not as close
> to each other. I'd never seen that before. This was in East Meredith.
>
> My husband and I have been taking sailing lessons at the sailing club on
> Otsego Lake. The lessons are 6-8 in the evening and I find myself being
> inattentive to the lessons because the birding is very nice at that time.
> I've heard Loon's calling each evening. I had no idea Loons were nesting on
> Otsego Lake but was assured they are. How nice!
> Suzanne
>
> Sent from my iPad

> All postings to osbirds are protected by copyright law.
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo Groups Links

Back to top

Date: 7/1/18 5:07 am
From: 'Bright, Sandy' <brights...> [osbirds] <osbirds...>
Subject: [osbirds] Merlin
I haven't had a chance to keep track of the Oneonta Merlins, so I don't
know where they nested this year. Yesterday I walked in Wilber Park and
heard the familiar incessant call near the large pavilion (though it lasted
so long this time I thought at first that it must be something
mechanical!). Eventually, I found the bird. Without binoculars, all I could
say for sure is that it wasn't a male. I'm guessing it was a juvenile
begging for food.

Kingbirds have been present every year in front of the High School... until
this year. I haven't seen a single one. The first year the Merlins nested
in the area, they decimated the Killdeer population in the area. I wonder
if that's what happened to the Kingbirds?

Back to top
Date: 6/29/18 12:05 pm
From: <aurore...> [osbirds] <osbirds...>
Subject: [osbirds] Birding can be very rewarding for businesses.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/how-one-single-bird-brought-220000-pennsylvania-town-180967527/ https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/how-one-single-bird-brought-220000-pennsylvania-town-180967527/

Back to top
Date: 6/26/18 6:09 am
From: John S Davis new <davi7js4...> [osbirds] <osbirds...>
Subject: [osbirds] Killdeer in charge!
If you haven’t seen it, this one is incredible. You gotta check it out!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/06/26/four-speckled-bird-eggs-and-a-very-protective-mother-confound-music-festival/?utm_term=.8a7e126ecb80

John

John S. Davis
190 Ottaway Road
Cooperstown NY 13326
<davi7js4...>
607-547-9688
cell 607-544-4032

Back to top
Date: 6/25/18 7:00 pm
From: <aurore...> [osbirds] <osbirds...>
Subject: [osbirds] see Audubon prints and read about each bird
https://www.audubon.org/birds-of-america?ms=digital-eng-email-ea-x-20180623_jja_[audience]&utm_source=ea&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20180623_jja&utm_content=[audience] https://www.audubon.org/birds-of-america?ms=digital-eng-email-ea-x-20180623_jja_[audience]&utm_source=ea&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20180623_jja&utm_content=[audience]

Back to top
Date: 6/24/18 2:01 pm
From: <huneked...> [osbirds] <osbirds...>
Subject: [osbirds] Immature bald eagles
On Thursday mid-afternoon I tedded out the 8 acre piece that was just mowed. There was a doe trying to cross the field to get to the creek, but she was shy. I finally hung back a bit to let her cross. She kept looking behind her, most likely watching for her fawn, but I never did see a fawn. On Friday I went to the same field to ted it again (tedding means fluffing up the hay with those spinning tines so it can dry thoroughly) to see two large birds on the ground in the middle of the field. At first I thought turkey vultures, but as I got closer it was clear they were immature bald eagles, and they were on a dead fawn. My guess is that without the cover of the deep grass (and the hay field grass has been exceptional this year) the fawn was an easy target for the eagles as it tried to follow mama to the creek. Barely a week old by the looks of it. One of the down sides of farming.

The eagles, however, were obviously much older! One was clearly a sub-adult II, possibly III, by the look of the white on the back of the head and elsewhere. The other appeared to be a sub-adult I. I went to my books right away when I got home to help figure out their ages. Unfortunately I couldn't get a good enough look at them when they flew to see any irregularities in the remiges. One stayed perched in a nearby tree while I worked the field, which took me about an hour. As I departed the field that bird was instantly back on the fawn.

Today, Sunday, Eric and I had to go to Delhi in the early afternoon. On our way home there was an immature bald eagle sitting on the ground in a recently mowed and baled hay field just about 2 miles towards Delhi from Treadwell. Very possibly one of the birds I saw on Friday.

I'm guessing it's very possible these two immature BEs are local - one from last year (Stuart) and one from the year before. Since by their markings they are not the same age, that seems likely. They appeared to be the same size, so it was hard to tell gender. Two chicks were raised the year before last, but that doesn't mean they both survived, or that they both would come back to the area in which they were raised.

A farmer friend right near the intersection of Rt 357 and Rt 28 told Eric he has a BE nest on his land. One of his first calf heifers had her calf outside and left it, went back to the barn without it (first calf heifers are not very smart!). Out in the field when the farmer went to get the calf he found an adult dry cow standing over the calf and two adult BEs on the ground right nearby, apparently hoping that cow would make a mistake and give them a chance at the calf!

Bald eagle numbers are certainly on the rise around here!

Dorian Huneke,
Treadwell

Join us on Facebook!