HMBirds
Received From Subject
7/15/18 7:42 pm Richard Guthrie <richardpguthrie...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> [HMBirds] Fwd: eBird Report - River Road, Jul 15, 2018
7/12/18 6:29 am <philwhitney17...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> [HMBirds] July 11 Birdline
7/11/18 1:02 pm <naomi_kestrel...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> [HMBirds] Tomorrow's destination, 7/12
7/11/18 7:29 am Tom <trwdsd...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> [HMBirds] Sedge Wren, Clay-colored Sparrow- Washington County Grasslands 7/11
7/11/18 6:19 am Tristan Lowery <tristanlowery...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> [HMBirds] Fall migration
7/10/18 10:11 am zach schwartz-weinstein <zachsw...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> [HMBirds] Re: Sedge Wrens, Washington County grasslands
7/10/18 9:18 am zach schwartz-weinstein <zachsw...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> [HMBirds] Sedge Wrens, Washington County grasslands
7/9/18 7:08 pm Richard Guthrie <richardpguthrie...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> [HMBirds] Caspian Tern - New Baltimore
7/9/18 1:42 pm Richard Guthrie <richardpguthrie...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> Re: [HMBirds] White/albino Mourning dove or lost pet?
7/9/18 12:26 pm <ksclemmy...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> [HMBirds] White/albino Mourning dove or lost pet?
7/8/18 8:09 pm Richard Guthrie <richardpguthrie...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> [HMBirds] Fwd: [nysbirds-l] Storm Barrier meetings. Impact on water quality for Hudson River and Jamaica Bay. July 9, 10, 11.
7/8/18 12:22 pm 'Mona Bearor' <conservebirds...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> [HMBirds] Anyone watching the radar?
7/8/18 11:08 am <scottvarney1968...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> [HMBirds] Clay-colored Sparrows, FE Grasslands
7/6/18 4:17 pm Nancy Jane Kern <kernscot...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> [HMBirds] eBird -- 1-99 Clark Avenue, Cohoes, New York, US (42.775, -73.693) -- Jul 06, 2018
7/6/18 8:23 am Ron Harrower <rharrower...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> [HMBirds] Re: eBird Report - Swamp Road, Jul 3, 2018
7/6/18 5:46 am Nancy Jane Kern <kernscot...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> [HMBirds] eBird -- 559 Eichybush Road, Stuyvesant, New York, US (42.411, -73.739) -- Jul 03, 2018
7/5/18 7:21 pm Ron Harrower <rharrower...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> [HMBirds] Costa Rican birding
7/5/18 9:00 am Steve Mesick <stvmesick...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> Re: [HMBirds] Cerulean Warbler?
7/5/18 8:38 am rob snell <snell.rob...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> Re: [HMBirds] Cerulean Warbler?
7/5/18 7:56 am Will Raup <Hoaryredpoll...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> Re: [HMBirds] Cerulean Warbler?
7/5/18 7:51 am Lindsey Duval <lindsey.duval...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> Re: [HMBirds] Cerulean Warbler?
7/5/18 7:43 am zach schwartz-weinstein <zachsw...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> Re: [HMBirds] Cerulean Warbler?
7/5/18 7:32 am rob snell <snell.rob...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> [HMBirds] Cerulean Warbler?
7/3/18 8:33 am 'Nancy - WBU' <wbu...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> [HMBirds] Siskin
7/2/18 12:19 pm <david.harrison...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> [HMBirds] Change in meeting place and time for July 7 club trip
6/29/18 9:37 am Nancy Jane Kern <kernscot...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> [HMBirds] eBird -- 45 North River Road, Fort Edward, New York, US (43.168, -73.585) -- Jun 27, 2018
6/28/18 6:10 am <philwhitney17...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> [HMBirds] June 27 Birdline
6/26/18 4:10 pm Nancy Jane Kern <kernscot...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> [HMBirds] eBird -- Taconic State Parkway, Chatham, New York, US (42.353, -73.58) -- Jun 26, 2018
6/26/18 2:29 pm Ron Harrower <rharrower...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> [HMBirds] Re: eBird Report - 147 Church Avenue, Ballston Spa, Jun 25, 2018
6/22/18 7:08 pm gregg recer <gregg_recer...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> [HMBirds] chucks & whips -- west mtn
6/22/18 11:49 am Kathryn Schneider <fallline...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> [HMBirds] 2018 NYS Birders Conference and NYSOA Annual Meeting
6/21/18 9:03 am <philwhitney17...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> [HMBirds] June 20 Birdline
6/20/18 10:46 am <naomi_kestrel...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> [HMBirds] Tomorrow's destination, 6/21
6/19/18 5:37 am zach schwartz-weinstein <zachsw...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> [HMBirds] Re: Sandwich Tern, Nickerson Beach
6/19/18 5:31 am zach schwartz-weinstein <zachsw...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> [HMBirds] Sandwich Tern, Nickerson Beach
6/18/18 2:56 pm <scottvarney1968...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> [HMBirds] White-winged Dove, Schuylerville
6/18/18 6:31 am 'Ellen Morosoff Pemrick' <lnmp...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> [HMBirds] Field trip report - Galway Nature Preserve

Back to top
Date: 7/15/18 7:42 pm
From: Richard Guthrie <richardpguthrie...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [HMBirds] Fwd: eBird Report - River Road, Jul 15, 2018
It looked like Green Herons were on the move this evening. A dozen
straggled by me as singulars or occasional twos going south along the
Hudson River. Also, a fair number (52) of Ring-billed Gulls went by. There
was also a small movement of swallows.

Rich Guthrie

Date: 7/12/18 6:29 am
From: <philwhitney17...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [HMBirds] July 11 Birdline

Birdline summary for two weeks ending July 11

10 reports; 73 species reported

Best of the two weeks

AMERICAN BITTERN: Fort Edward 7/8, 7/11

CASPIAN TERN: New Baltimore 7/9

YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO: Fort Edward 7/3

SEDGE WREN: Fort Edward 7/10, 7/11; Hudson Falls 7/10

VESPER SPARROW: Stuyvesant 7/3 (2)

CLAY-COLORED SPARROW: Fort Edward 7/8 (3), 7/11

ORCHARD ORIOLE: Fort Edward 7/8

Other notables:

Osprey: Fort Edward 6/27 (2)

Bald Eagle: Stuyvesant 7/3; Cohoes 7/6

American Kestrel: Stuyvesant 7/3; Fort Edward 7/8

Merlin: Fort Edward 7/8

Yellow-throated Vireo: Fort Edward 7/3

Wood Thrush: Fort Edward 7/3 (3)

Pine Siskin: Providence 7/3

Thanks to Nancy Castillo (Providence), Rich Guthrie (New Baltimore), Ron Harrower (Fort Edward), Nancy Kern (Fort Edward, Cohoes, Stuyvesant), Stacy Robinson (Hudson Falls), Zach Schwartz-Weinstein (Fort Edward), Scott Varney (Fort Edward) and Tom Williams (Fort Edward)

Back to top
Date: 7/11/18 1:02 pm
From: <naomi_kestrel...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [HMBirds] Tomorrow's destination, 7/12

Hi, All,

See the forwarded e-mail from Naomi and check the Yahoo User Group HMBirds for more details. It's worth a try. Meet at 8:00 a.m. at the Hudson Crossings parking lot just north of Schuylerville off Rt. 4. We'll be that much closer to our target birds.

Bill Lee

Date: 7/11/18 7:29 am
From: Tom <trwdsd...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [HMBirds] Sedge Wren, Clay-colored Sparrow- Washington County Grasslands 7/11
Adding to recent reports, Colleen and I had a Sedge Wren on Dowmont Rd. this morning, in the same field where one was been previously observed. There were multiple Grasshopper Sparrows there as well.
At the Grasslands SF Trail, we saw a Clay-colored Sparrow near the observation platform at the end of the trail. An American Bittern flew away from us, low and headed east, presumably from a small wet area along the creek that runs across the trail.
Tom Williams
Colonie

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

Back to top
Date: 7/11/18 6:19 am
From: Tristan Lowery <tristanlowery...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [HMBirds] Fall migration
On my way to work this morning, an apparent first-year Yellow Warbler
popped up out of a bush at Empire State Plaza in Albany. Since they don't
breed at the Plaza, I assume this was a southbound migrant. Fall songbird
migration is beginning.

Good birding.

Tristan Lowery
Albany

Back to top
Date: 7/10/18 10:11 am
From: zach schwartz-weinstein <zachsw...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [HMBirds] Re: Sedge Wrens, Washington County grasslands
Addendum: Stacy Robinson just found an additional sedge Wren on New Swamp
Road in Hudson Falls. This seems to be a great year for them in our corner
of NY.

--
Zach Schwartz-Weinstein
203 500 7774

Back to top

Date: 7/9/18 7:08 pm
From: Richard Guthrie <richardpguthrie...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [HMBirds] Caspian Tern - New Baltimore
This evening, July 9th, there was a Caspian Tern flying by New Baltimore -
southbound. I heard it calling from quite a ways away as it approached; and
it continued calling after it passed by.

There has been a noticeable uptick in the number of Caspian Terns in the
area this year so far. Interesting.

Also noted today - several (~12) Ring-billed Gulls southbound - mostly
adults. The number of them going by is increasing daily.

Last evening, I watched a large skein of Mallard/Amer. Black Ducks flying
south at dusk. The evening before, there was a similar group of about 50
also southbound at dusk. Although this might have been the same group of
birds +/- going to roost.

The male R-t. Hummingbird in the yard is still doing his courtship "dance".
If you've never seen that performance, watch. It's very interesting and
more complex than what first meets the eye - as if that weren't enough to
satisfy.

--
Richard Guthrie

Back to top
Date: 7/9/18 1:42 pm
From: Richard Guthrie <richardpguthrie...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [HMBirds] White/albino Mourning dove or lost pet?
There are so many possibilities that may be about this bird.

That it may be an albino or leucistic (couldn't find the spelling for that
) wild bird is the least likely option.

I'd speculate that it was a released bird from a wedding or something.

Captive raised birds like that (and lost pets) don't do well in the wild.

The people paid good money for that little ceremony only to have the bird
become hawk chow somewhere down the line.

I doubt animal control will take much interest in corralling it.

Since it may well be people trained, maybe someone can approach it and
bring it in out of harm's way.

Rich Guthrie

--
Richard Guthrie

Back to top

Date: 7/8/18 8:09 pm
From: Richard Guthrie <richardpguthrie...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [HMBirds] Fwd: [nysbirds-l] Storm Barrier meetings. Impact on water quality for Hudson River and Jamaica Bay. July 9, 10, 11.
This proposal could have a huge impact on the Hudson River and its ecology
including many bird species,,,,

Date: 7/8/18 12:22 pm
From: 'Mona Bearor' <conservebirds...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [HMBirds] Anyone watching the radar?
Radar showing "swarms" of something right now. Anyone want to guess what it
might be? Birds? Insects? I'm not very good at deciphering what it is
showing.

Mona Bearor

S. Glens Falls

Back to top
Date: 7/8/18 11:08 am
From: <scottvarney1968...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [HMBirds] Clay-colored Sparrows, FE Grasslands
Birded the trail and grassy fields from the Black house Road parking area. It was nice to such fantastic improvements with a fully leveled parking area and a new observation deck in front of the parking lot. Found 3 Clay-colored Sparrows in total. One was repetitively singing a continual buzz song, unlike the 2 or 3 buzz song I'm used to hearing, interspersed with frequent call notes (a high-pitched chirp.). One was hanging very close to the Southerly most observation deck and allowed fantastic photos from 6 feet away! Other birds seen we're a flyover American Bittern, 1 Merlin, Brown Thrasher, Baltimore Orioles, a single Orchard Oriole, Field Sparrows, Song Sparrows, Savannah Sparrows, Tree Swallows, Barn Swallows, Eastern Towhee, and a single American Kestrel.

Happy Birding,

Scott Varney
Salem, NY

------------------------------------
Posted by: <scottvarney1968...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
<hmbirds-digest...>
<hmbirds-fullfeatured...>

<hmbirds-unsubscribe...>

Back to top
Date: 7/6/18 4:17 pm
From: Nancy Jane Kern <kernscot...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [HMBirds] eBird -- 1-99 Clark Avenue, Cohoes, New York, US (42.775, -73.693) -- Jul 06, 2018
1-99 Clark Avenue, Cohoes, New York, US (42.775, -73.693)

Jul 06, 2018

7:02 PM

Stationary

5 minutes

All birds reported? Yes

Comments:

Temperature 80 F breeze sunny low water on the Cohoes Flats of the Mohawk River fishermen on the rocks

3 Double-crested Cormorant

1 Great Blue Heron

1 Turkey Vulture

1 Bald Eagle -- Adult flying

3 Ring-billed Gull

2 Chimney Swift

4 American Crow

Number of Taxa: 7

Sent from my LG Mobile

Back to top
Date: 7/6/18 8:23 am
From: Ron Harrower <rharrower...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [HMBirds] Re: eBird Report - Swamp Road, Jul 3, 2018
On Jul 6, 2018 10:28 AM, <ebird-checklist...> wrote:

Swamp Road, Saratoga, New York, US
Jul 3, 2018 6:55 AM - 8:35 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments: Greg and I got out fairly early to beat the heat.
That said, it was already in the low 80s at 7 am, and rose
quickly. We parked the car and walked most of the length of Swamp
Road. Birds were not super active, but we always had something to
look at or listen to. I was happy to see a Willow Flycatcher and
call it before it called and confirmed the ID.
38 species

Great Blue Heron 1
Mourning Dove 4
Yellow-billed Cuckoo 1 Calling from back in the swamp to the
North of the Road
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Downy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 1
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Willow Flycatcher 1
Great Crested Flycatcher 1
Eastern Kingbird 1
Yellow-throated Vireo 1
Warbling Vireo 3
Blue Jay 3
American Crow 2
Tree Swallow 2
Black-capped Chickadee 2
Tufted Titmouse 4
White-breasted Nuthatch 2
House Wren 1
Veery 2
Wood Thrush 3
American Robin 7
Gray Catbird 5
Common Yellowthroat 6
American Redstart 1
Yellow Warbler 2
Chestnut-sided Warbler 2
Field Sparrow 1
Song Sparrow 3
Swamp Sparrow 2
Eastern Towhee 1
Northern Cardinal 3
Rose-breasted Grosbeak 1
Bobolink 1
Baltimore Oriole 1
Red-winged Blackbird 17
Common Grackle 2
American Goldfinch 4

View this checklist online at
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47022881

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3
(http://ebird.org)

__._,_.___

Posted by: Ron Harrower <rharrower...>

__,_._,___

Back to top
Date: 7/6/18 5:46 am
From: Nancy Jane Kern <kernscot...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [HMBirds] eBird -- 559 Eichybush Road, Stuyvesant, New York, US (42.411, -73.739) -- Jul 03, 2018
559 Eichybush Road, Stuyvesant, New York, US (42.411, -73.739)

Jul 03, 2018

5:45 PM

Traveling

2.70 miles

46 minutes

All birds reported? Yes

Comments:

HOT. Temperature 94 F sunny truck farms irrigating birds gaping

1 Bald Eagle -- Adult flying

1 Red-tailed Hawk

11 Mourning Dove

1 Hairy Woodpecker

1 American Kestrel

1 Eastern Kingbird

3 American Crow

10 Tree Swallow

3 Bank Swallow

6 Barn Swallow

1 House Wren

5 Eastern Bluebird

1 Wood Thrush

9 American Robin

4 Gray Catbird

1 Brown Thrasher

3 Northern Mockingbird

12 European Starling

2 Common Yellowthroat

4 Yellow Warbler

2 Vesper Sparrow -- Singing

6 Savannah Sparrow

9 Song Sparrow

4 Eastern Towhee

5 Northern Cardinal

1 Indigo Bunting

4 Bobolink

9 Red-winged Blackbird

1 Brown-headed Cowbird

3 Common Grackle

11 American Goldfinch

4 House Sparrow

Number of Taxa: 32

Sent from my LG Mobile

Back to top
Date: 7/5/18 7:21 pm
From: Ron Harrower <rharrower...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [HMBirds] Costa Rican birding
Hello, I know that this is not officially of the purvue of of the
Hudson Mohawk birding community, but I am being offered a trip to
Costa Rica for a big birthday ending in 0. Does anyone have a
recommendation for birding lodges to stay in February. I am not sure
where to go in the country. Please reply off list. ThanksRon
Harrower

__._,_.___

Date: 7/5/18 9:00 am
From: Steve Mesick <stvmesick...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [HMBirds] Cerulean Warbler?
Hey Rob, we have Black-throated Blues that sing a song very close to the Cerulean near our place in the White Mountains of NH. In fact it appears to be a local dialect, as I would say probably half the BTBW’s have a classic Cerulean song. When I was earlier in my birding days I recorded numerous sightings of Cerulean in NH and it wasn’t until I tried to put my older sightings into EBird that I suddenly realized that they are not central NH breeders! I would try to get a good look next time you hear him because I am wondering if you could have the same situation that we do.

Steve Mesick East Greenbush

Sent from my iPad

> On Jul 5, 2018, at 10:31 AM, rob snell <snell.rob...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> wrote:
>
> I believe I heard a Cerulean Warbler on my morning walk up the mountain behind my house. I did not have my binoculars for a visual confirmation, but it came in to look at me when I played it’s song. It was about half way up Waite Mountain at the north end of Sacandaga. There are BTGs there also for comparison. Has anyone else seen them in the ADKs?
>
> Thanks, Rob Snell
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 7/5/18 8:38 am
From: rob snell <snell.rob...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Thanks for the feedback. I will bring my binoculars tomorrow and track him down. Rob

Sent from my iPad

> On Jul 5, 2018, at 10:56 AM, Will Raup <Hoaryredpoll...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> wrote:
>
> At Papscanee and Schodack Island SP, Redstarts also sing a very similar song.
>
> Will Raup
> Glenmont, NY
>

> Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S®6 active, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

Back to top

Date: 7/5/18 7:51 am
From: Lindsey Duval <lindsey.duval...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>

<hmbirds-noreply...> wrote:

> I believe I heard a Cerulean Warbler on my morning walk up the mountain
> behind my house. I did not have my binoculars for a visual confirmation,
> but it came in to look at me when I played it’s song. It was about half way
> up Waite Mountain at the north end of Sacandaga. There are BTGs there also
> for comparison. Has anyone else seen them in the ADKs?
>
> Thanks, Rob Snell
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 7/5/18 7:43 am
From: zach schwartz-weinstein <zachsw...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
For what it’s worth, Black-throated Blue Warblers do a song that sounds
almost identical to Ceruleans warblers. I have heard them do this song
many times in our region at both low and high altitudes, during migration
and on the breeding range. Definitely important to get visual confirmation
of any possible Ceruleans for this reason.

--
Zach Schwartz-Weinstein
203 500 7774

Back to top
Date: 7/5/18 7:32 am
From: rob snell <snell.rob...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [HMBirds] Cerulean Warbler?
I believe I heard a Cerulean Warbler on my morning walk up the mountain behind my house. I did not have my binoculars for a visual confirmation, but it came in to look at me when I played it’s song. It was about half way up Waite Mountain at the north end of Sacandaga. There are BTGs there also for comparison. Has anyone else seen them in the ADKs?

Thanks, Rob Snell

Sent from my iPad

Sent from my iPhone

------------------------------------
Posted by: rob snell <snell.rob...>

Date: 7/3/18 8:33 am
From: 'Nancy - WBU' <wbu...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [HMBirds] Siskin
In the short time I was watching a finch feeder, had a single Pine Siskin
sharing with goldfinches.

Town of Providence, western Saratoga County.

Nancy

Back to top
Date: 7/2/18 12:19 pm
From: <david.harrison...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [HMBirds] Change in meeting place and time for July 7 club trip
July 7's Leader's Choice field trip to Warren County will meet at a diiferent time and place than originally posted. The rest area on the Northway is being rebuilt and I don't want to take a chance on trying to meet there in case it is closed.
The new meeting place will be the Dunkin' Donuts on Rte 9 in Warrensburg. Since this is further north for most people, the meeting time is being pushed back to 7:30. I expect to head north or west from there.
David Harrison
Milford NJ

------------------------------------
Posted by: <david.harrison...>

Date: 6/29/18 9:37 am
From: Nancy Jane Kern <kernscot...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [HMBirds] eBird -- 45 North River Road, Fort Edward, New York, US (43.168, -73.585) -- Jun 27, 2018
45 North River Road, Fort Edward, New York, US (43.168, -73.585)

Jun 27, 2018

4:45 PM

Traveling

3.20 miles

42 minutes

All birds reported? Yes

Comments:

Temperature 66 F rain

46 Canada Goose

5 Wood Duck - FL -- Hen swimming with 4 small ducklings

2 Osprey - ON -- 1 adult flew into nest along SR 4 on pole carrying large beakful of hay. Worked on the nest arranged sticks while one chick was visible.

6 Mourning Dove

1 Eastern Wood-Pewee

1 Great Crested Flycatcher

1 Yellow-throated Vireo

1 Red-eyed Vireo

1 Blue Jay

2 American Crow

1 Northern Rough-winged Swallow

5 Tree Swallow

4 Bank Swallow

8 Barn Swallow

1 Tufted Titmouse

1 House Wren

1 Wood Thrush

9 American Robin

25 European Starling

3 Song Sparrow

1 Eastern Towhee

1 Rose-breasted Grosbeak -- Male

3 Red-winged Blackbird

13 Common Grackle

Number of Taxa: 24

Sent from my LG Mobile

Back to top
Date: 6/28/18 6:10 am
From: <philwhitney17...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [HMBirds] June 27 Birdline

Birdline summary for week ending June 27:

3 reports; 24 species reported

Best of the week:

WHIP-POOR-WILL: West Mountain 6/22

CHUCK-WILLS-WIDOW: West Mountain 6/22

Other notables:

RED-SHOULDERED HAWK: Ballston Spa 6/25 (2)

Thanks to Ron Harrower (Ballston Spa, Nancy Kern (Chatham) and Gregg Recer (West Mountain)

Back to top
Date: 6/26/18 4:10 pm
From: Nancy Jane Kern <kernscot...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [HMBirds] eBird -- Taconic State Parkway, Chatham, New York, US (42.353, -73.58) -- Jun 26, 2018
Taconic State Parkway, Chatham, New York, US (42.353, -73.58)

Jun 26, 2018

7:06 PM

Stationary

1 minutes

All birds reported? Yes

Comments:

Temperature 77 F sunny

5 Wild Turkey

Number of Taxa: 1

Sent from my LG Mobile

Back to top
Date: 6/26/18 2:29 pm
From: Ron Harrower <rharrower...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [HMBirds] Re: eBird Report - 147 Church Avenue, Ballston Spa, Jun 25, 2018
On Jun 26, 2018 5:04 PM, <ebird-checklist...> wrote:

147 Church Avenue, Ballston Spa, Saratoga, New York, US
Jun 25, 2018 1:45 PM - 2:55 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments: I sat in my backyard talking to my neighbor about
this and that. As always, I noted bird sounds as we were talking.
It was Blue Jays, House Finches, Blue Birds, Mourning Doves until
all of a sudden, it was Red-shouldered Hawk, which got both of our
attention. First one, then another broke the horizon and soared,
calling loudly over both of our yards and Saint Mary's Cemetery
and woods behind. They were very active for 15 minutes then
sporadic until i needed to be elsewhere. Very cool, as I have not
heard or seen them here.
21 species

Great Blue Heron 1 Flying past
Turkey Vulture 1
Red-shouldered Hawk 2 Calling loudly and soaring
Mourning Dove 9
Chimney Swift 1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 1 On tree by my house as last week
Northern Flicker 1
Blue Jay 3
American Crow 3
Black-capped Chickadee 2
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
House Wren 1
Carolina Wren 1
Eastern Bluebird 4
American Robin 7
European Starling 11
Chipping Sparrow 2
Northern Cardinal 2
Red-winged Blackbird 1
House Finch 5
House Sparrow 4

View this checklist online at
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46815917

Date: 6/22/18 7:08 pm
From: gregg recer <gregg_recer...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [HMBirds] chucks & whips -- west mtn
cathy graichen and I had a nice experience this evening going for the chuck
& whips at west mtn. both heard near the NW base area, but fairly distant
in the woods to the north. As we were about to pull away cathy saw
something fly over the road behind us. We then heard the chuck much closer,
and eventually saw it in flight twice over the road and calling steadily
very close by. Recorded by camera video -- should be added to ebird
checklist tomorrow.

--
Gregg Recer
<gregg_recer...>

Back to top
Date: 6/22/18 11:49 am
From: Kathryn Schneider <fallline...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [HMBirds] 2018 NYS Birders Conference and NYSOA Annual Meeting
You won’t want to miss the New York State Ornithological Association’s annual meeting and birders conference, October 5-7, 2018, at the RIT Inn and Conference Center, 5257 West Henrietta Road, in Henrietta. Burroughs Audubon Nature Club and the Rochester Birding Association are the meeting’s co-sponsors.
It’s a great opportunity to meet birders from across the state - forming and renewing friendships and learning about the many clubs in our state that are devoted to nature study and conservation. There will be many field trips: Friday afternoon plus Saturday and Sunday mornings. Friday evening’s activities are workshops on Snowy Owls and eBird and a buffet dinner. Saturday features an afternoon paper session, where you can hear about the latest research in ornithology, and a second buffet dinner followed by the keynote address by Greg Miller, a birding tour guide, whose “Big Year” of birding was featured in a book and subsequent movie.
To learn more about the meeting and for registration forms, go to the NYSOA web site, www.nybirds.org <http://www.nybirds.org/> or to the Rochester Birding Association website https://rochesterbirding.com/nysoa-reg/ <https://rochesterbirding.com/nysoa-reg/> , where you can register online or download paper registration forms.
Registration to attend is $50 through August 15 and $60 thereafter through September 15. The buffet dinners cost $35 each. For more information, contact Shirley Shaw at <shirley...> <mailto:<shirley...> or Bob Spahn at <rspahn...> <mailto:<rspahn...> . Hotel reservations should be made directly with the RIT Inn, with contact information or link to be found with the registration information.

Back to top
Date: 6/21/18 9:03 am
From: <philwhitney17...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [HMBirds] June 20 Birdline

Birdline summary for week ending June 20:

3 reports; 36 species reported

Best of the week:

WHITE-WINGED DOVE: Schuylerville 6/18

WHIP-POOR-WILL: Pine Bush 6/16

Other notables:

Northern Harrier: Galway Preserve 6/17

Broad-winged Hawk: Galway Preserve 6/17

Wood Thrush: Galway Preserve 6/17 (2)

Scarlet Tanager: Galway Preserve 6/17

Indigo Bunting: Galway Preserve 6/17

Thanks to Naomi Lloyd (Pine Bush), Ellen Pemrick (Galway Preserve) and Scott Varney (Schuylerville)

Back to top
Date: 6/20/18 10:46 am
From: <naomi_kestrel...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [HMBirds] Tomorrow's destination, 6/21

Hi, All,

Naomi has suggested Schodack Island State Park, as the Other Thursday Birders (Allan Devoe ) are birding there, although starting at 7:30 a.m. I won't get there 'til 8:00, but if anyone wants to start earlier, I'm sure the Other Thurs. Group would welcome your joining them. If you're joining me, meet at 8:00 at the large parking area at the boat launch and rest room area. Prime target will be Cerulean Warbler. Hope to see you in the a.m.

Bill Lee

Note from Naomi - there is no admission fee charged on weekdays.

Back to top
Date: 6/19/18 5:37 am
From: zach schwartz-weinstein <zachsw...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [HMBirds] Re: Sandwich Tern, Nickerson Beach
Wrong listserv, sorry!!!

--
Zach Schwartz-Weinstein
203 500 7774

Back to top

Date: 6/18/18 2:56 pm
From: <scottvarney1968...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [HMBirds] White-winged Dove, Schuylerville
On my way home from work in Schuylerville yesterday, I observed a larger than ordinary "Mourning Dove" sitting on a telephone wire on Route 29 right next to the new location for Clark's Steakhouse at the West end of the bridge by the Schuyler Yacht Basin. (South side) Immediately, the size caught my attention along with an obvious white line along the lower wing. The orbital was bluish and a black "mustache" mark on the side of the neck were apparent (kind of like a Northern Flicker). I had business to attend to so had to keep driving...I looked for it today on my way through to work but to no avail. I might consider a "steak-out" tomorrow and spend some quality time searching. I've seen lots of White-winged Doves in New Mexico along with Eurasian Collared Doves and am certain this was a White-winged Dove. I'm curious if any have ever been seen in our area, as Sibley's lists this species as rare.

Happy Birding,

Scott Varney
Salem, NY

------------------------------------

Date: 6/18/18 6:31 am
From: 'Ellen Morosoff Pemrick' <lnmp...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [HMBirds] Field trip report - Galway Nature Preserve
Ten of us visited Galway Nature Preserve Sunday morning for an HMBC field
trip. The first birds of the day were right in the preserve parking lot:
an Eastern Phoebe with a large insect in its bill, a swooping Tree Swallow,
and a vocal Red-Bellied Woodpecker. Oddly enough, the Red-Bellied
Woodpecker and a Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker seen by some members of the group
were the only woodpeckers we encountered all day.

Warbler species were rather sparse. We heard several Ovenbirds, Common
Yellowthroats, and Chestnut-Sided Warblers, and enjoyed nice views of the
one of the Ovenbirds on a snag. We heard but did not see Indigo Bunting,
and most of the group observed a singing Scarlet Tanager.

For the second year in a row, an Eastern Wood-Pewee's nest was found, albeit
in a different location from last year.

Other highlights included a Broad-Winged Hawk flying over a pond; singing
Veery and Wood Thrush; and a Bobolink in the adjacent farm fields.

Thanks for Naomi for compiling the eBird report below.

Galway Nature Preserve, Saratoga, New York, US

Jun 17, 2018 8:00 AM - 10:20 AM

Protocol: Traveling

1.5 mile(s)

Comments: HMBC field trip

33 species (+2 other taxa)

Mallard 5

Great Blue Heron 2

Turkey Vulture 1

Northern Harrier 1 circling high over fields

Broad-winged Hawk 1

Mourning Dove 3

Red-bellied Woodpecker 1

diurnal raptor sp. 1

Eastern Wood-Pewee 3

Empidonax sp. 1

Eastern Phoebe 1 Nesting in eaves of shed

Red-eyed Vireo 3

Blue Jay 2

American Crow 2

Tree Swallow 3