HMBirds
Received From Subject
12/6/19 10:17 pm Scott Varney <scottvarney1968...> [hmbirds] Great Horned Owl Salem
12/6/19 10:13 pm Scott Varney <scottvarney1968...> [hmbirds] Great Horned Owl
12/6/19 9:43 am Naomi Lloyd via Groups.Io <naomi_kestrel=<yahoo.com...> [hmbirds] SoRensCo CBC - Saturday 12/28
12/5/19 11:13 am jhershey2 <hersheyj...> [hmbirds] Lapland Longspur - Northumberland
12/4/19 9:02 am Naomi Lloyd via Groups.Io <naomi_kestrel=<yahoo.com...> [hmbirds] This week's destination: 12/5
12/3/19 1:59 pm John Kent <k2ent76...> [hmbirds] Henry Hudson half-hardies
12/1/19 12:03 pm Alan <adfrench...> [hmbirds] Bluebirds
11/30/19 10:31 am scottjstoner via Groups.Io <ScottJStoner=<aol.com...> [hmbirds] HMBC program and party Monday evening is CANCELED due to weather
11/29/19 7:40 pm scottjstoner via Groups.Io <ScottJStoner=<aol.com...> [hmbirds] Monday Dec 2 HMBC program and holiday party is CANCELED due to weather
11/29/19 5:37 am scottjstoner via Groups.Io <ScottJStoner=<aol.com...> [hmbirds] HMBC Holiday party and program by Rich Guthrie - Monday Dec 2 at Five Rivers
11/28/19 4:05 pm Matthew Medler <mdm2...> [hmbirds] Collins Lake mergansers
11/28/19 8:41 am Dana Rohleder via Groups.Io <dcrohleder=<yahoo.com...> [hmbirds] NNYBirds has moved
11/26/19 6:05 pm Alison Van Keuren <aev12159...> [hmbirds] Rough-legged Hawks - Montgomery County
11/26/19 1:57 pm Naomi Lloyd via Groups.Io <naomi_kestrel=<yahoo.com...> [hmbirds] No destination this week, and upcoming event
11/25/19 10:09 am Scott Varney <scottvarney1968...> [hmbirds] Bald Eagles along Battenkill River
11/25/19 9:28 am John Kent <k2ent76...> [hmbirds] Grebes & warbler
11/22/19 8:45 am rob snell via Groups.Io <snell.rob=<yahoo.com...> [hmbirds] Ecuador with Sthrn ADK Audubon Society
11/21/19 6:42 am Alan <adfrench...> [hmbirds] Bluebirds
11/20/19 5:11 pm Heidi <hocka1...> [hmbirds] Northern Flicker
11/20/19 11:39 am Earthday49 via Groups.Io <Earthday49=<aol.com...> [hmbirds] Hermit Thrush
11/20/19 9:35 am Naomi Lloyd via Groups.Io <naomi_kestrel=<yahoo.com...> [hmbirds] This week's destination: 11/21 and NEW MEETING TIME
11/20/19 9:14 am Marne Onderdonk via Groups.Io <marne37=<icloud.com...> Re: [hmbirds] FW: Taking Flight youth bird art exhibition
11/20/19 8:15 am Richard Guthrie <richardpguthrie...> Re: [hmbirds] FW: Taking Flight youth bird art exhibition
11/20/19 7:49 am ConserveBirds <conservebirds...> [hmbirds] FW: Taking Flight youth bird art exhibition
11/20/19 6:06 am zach schwartz-weinstein <zachsw...> [hmbirds] 2 red-necked grebes, black bridge
11/16/19 5:36 am adir46er <rita.reed2819...> [hmbirds] FOS American Tree Sparrow
11/14/19 2:42 pm Scott Varney <scottvarney1968...> [hmbirds] Horned Grebe's and Bald Eagles, Greenwich and Lake Lauderdale.
11/14/19 9:17 am Andy Mason <andymason...> [hmbirds] Golden Eagles at Franklin Mt.
11/13/19 11:25 am Alan <adfrench...> [hmbirds] Bluebirds
11/13/19 9:24 am Lindsey Duval <lindsey.duval...> Re: [hmbirds] No destination 11/14 and a question
11/13/19 7:17 am Naomi Lloyd via Groups.Io <naomi_kestrel=<yahoo.com...> [hmbirds] No destination 11/14 and a question
11/11/19 2:56 pm Larry & Penny Alden <overlook...> [hmbirds] Tomhannock Reservoir and Vicinity - 11/11/19
11/11/19 12:12 am ConserveBirds <conservebirds...> [hmbirds] Birding trip to Ecuador in 2020
11/10/19 8:58 am John Kent <k2ent76...> [hmbirds] "Blue" Snow Goose

Back to top
Date: 12/6/19 10:17 pm
From: Scott Varney <scottvarney1968...>
Subject: [hmbirds] Great Horned Owl Salem
I just woke up (A phenomenon known as Birding ADD) after hearing the sounds
of a Great Horned Owl in my back yard. I feel very fortunate to have
observed 4 different Owl species in my own yard, all within the last year.
I went outside to record the sounds and on cue, it stopped vocalizing.

Also this week, the Battenkill River has had its own winter resurgence of
waterfowl. I found 2 Cackling Geese near the Town Beach. Several Hooded
Mergansers and 4 Bufflead (2 males and 2 females).

For anyone searching for waterfowl species, the Hudson River on River Road
in Stillwater has been booming with waterfowl. Yesterday, I observed a
drake Redhead and a drake Canvasback side by side...that was awesome!
Also, I had quick glances at a Goose species that was not Canada...I had a
science conference to get to...but first thoughts were of a Barnacle
Goose...I wish I had more time...what a dilemma! It's worth birding the
area. While heading North, take a right turn across Stillwater Bridge Road
and then a left onto River Road. The river will be on your left. Look at
the river opposite the first big white farmhouse. Waterfowl seem to be
congregating on this side of the river in the AM.

Happy Birding,

Scott Varney
Salem NY

Back to top
Date: 12/6/19 10:13 pm
From: Scott Varney <scottvarney1968...>
Subject: [hmbirds] Great Horned Owl
I just woke up at Midnight because I heard a Great Horned Owl in my
backyard (12/7)...I refer to this phenomenon as Birding ADD. It's been
over a month since I last heard this species in my yard and is a reminder
that this is still a great time of year to listen for owl species. I am
very fortunate to have seen and/or heard 4 different owl species on my own
property. I love my new property in Salem (4 years new now)! I'm looking
forward to my new birding adventures and am anxiously awaiting the arrival
of my newfound friends (last year), the Pine Grosbeaks.

While travelling the Battenkill River today, I found a group of 4
Buffleheads.

Another cool sighting this week were 2 Cackling Geese on the Battenkill,
near the Greenwich Town Beach.

For the record, the Hudson River along River Road in Stillwater is hosting
a large amount of waterfowl with a great diversity of species. In the
morning, they seem to be congregating on the Eastern side of the river.
For anyone interested, travelling south on Route 4 from Stillwater and
heading North, take Stillwater Bridge Road (on the right while heading
North) and then take a left onto River Road. Just past the big white
farmhouse, there is a huge congregation of waterfowl in the AM. (River is
on your left). Today, I picked out one Redhead drake and one Canvasback
Drake, and one strange-looking Goose species. I was time constrained, but
first observations were of a species different than Canada Goose...I
actually considered Barnacle Goose....oh, I wish I didn't have to get to a
Science Conference! Anyway, it's worth some more observation time.

Happy Birding,

Scott Varney
Salem NY

Back to top
Date: 12/6/19 9:43 am
From: Naomi Lloyd via Groups.Io <naomi_kestrel=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [hmbirds] SoRensCo CBC - Saturday 12/28
It's the most wonderful time of the year -- only 22 days until the Southern Rensselaer Christmas bird count! Please get back to me if you're unable to lead a team this year, or if you need more participants.

A Team: Tristan Lowery, I've reached out to Rich, Zach, and Will and will keep an ear open for other folk on the west side.

B Team: Naomi Lloyd and my awesome all-girl team! 7:30 at Defreestville P&R

B.2 Team: Ken McGrath, will you and your party cover RPI Tech Park again? It was great having that area get the attention it deserves.

C Team: Ted Keyel, can you take your sector again? Phil, your feederwatch was productive last year.

E Team: George Steele is unavailable this year, so I'll give this team to Jim de Waal Malefyt. Last year Scott Fackenthall and Gabrielle Isenbrand were on the ream - are you available this year?

G Team: Steve Mesick, I assume Jackson, and friends? If not I'll assign some others to you. Can you move that Lark Sparrow north a bit?

H Team: Bill Lee, I can give you Neal Reilly for sure. Is Jamie available? If not I have David Di Siena and friend, who is willing to drive.

J Team: Deb, I assume you've got your stomping grounds. Do you need anyone else? Nancy, I hope you're able to get out!

Compilation dinner is at the Lakeview Inn in Averill Park. Please let me know by Christmas-ish if you're coming to dinner. If not, please send me your count forms asap.

Contact me if you have A Situation or if I have something egregiously wrong. And good birding!

Naomi Lloyd

Back to top
Date: 12/5/19 11:13 am
From: jhershey2 <hersheyj...>
Subject: [hmbirds] Lapland Longspur - Northumberland
I drove past some of the dairy and horse farms in Northumberland this morning in search of field birds.  Snow was on the ground but there were few if any fresh manure spreads.  Nevertheless I eventually did find about 15 Horned Larks on Purinton Rd. and then about 5 more on Williams Lane.  After looking at my pics I discovered one Lapland Longspur with the Larks on Williams Ln. but no Snow Buntings.  I also watched about 7 Black Vultures breeze by on Williams Lane.  I posted a pic in the photo section. https://groups.io/g/hmbirds/photo/76888/0?p=Created,,,20,2,0,0

John H.

Back to top
Date: 12/4/19 9:02 am
From: Naomi Lloyd via Groups.Io <naomi_kestrel=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [hmbirds] This week's destination: 12/5
Winter is here! Let's meet at Hudson Crossing Park above Schuylerville to check out the river and either (or both) Ft Edward / Northumberland grasslands for winter birds that surely must be here at last.

Remember, MEET AT 9:00am!

Naomi Lloyd

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hudson+Crossing+Park/@43.1138009,-73.5799317,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x89de2ebeef77c4ef:0xcdfc181530ee1425!8m2!3d43.113797!4d-73.577743?hl=en&authuser=0

Back to top
Date: 12/3/19 1:59 pm
From: John Kent <k2ent76...>
Subject: [hmbirds] Henry Hudson half-hardies
Yesterday morning in the snow at Henry Hudson Park in Selkirk, I found a mixed flock that included a Ruby-crowned Kinglet and a Yellow-rumped Warbler. There were large flocks of blackbirds flying east across the river, but I couldnt identify them to species. A Great Blue Heron came flying down the Vlomankill. This afternoon at the park, I found a Hermit Thrush and a Ruby-crowned Kinglet. The kinglet was not in the same area as the one I saw yesterday, so it may have been a different one. Last week an immature Red-shouldered Hawk spent several days hanging around and feeding on a deer carcass. There have also been two Winter Wrens that Ive seen or heard several times lately. I think I heard one today, but it was only doing single chip notes so I wasnt sure. Last week one was singing, and they have been calling frequently. There have also been two or more Winter Wrens at Five Rivers the past couple of times Ive been there.

John Kent
Selkirk

Back to top
Date: 12/1/19 12:03 pm
From: Alan <adfrench...>
Subject: [hmbirds] Bluebirds
Just looked out at the falling snow and discovered five Bluebirds
sitting on the electric wire in the front yard.

Alan
Glenville

Back to top
Date: 11/30/19 10:31 am
From: scottjstoner via Groups.Io <ScottJStoner=<aol.com...>
Subject: [hmbirds] HMBC program and party Monday evening is CANCELED due to weather
HMBC program and party Monday evening December 2 is CANCELED due to weather. Rich Guthrie will present his program at a later date, in the spring.  Stay safe everyone!  Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Back to top
Date: 11/29/19 7:40 pm
From: scottjstoner via Groups.Io <ScottJStoner=<aol.com...>
Subject: [hmbirds] Monday Dec 2 HMBC program and holiday party is CANCELED due to weather
we will reschedule the presentation by Rich Guthrie for the spring. Happy and safe holidays everyone! - -Scott Stoner, Program ChairSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Back to top
Date: 11/29/19 5:37 am
From: scottjstoner via Groups.Io <ScottJStoner=<aol.com...>
Subject: [hmbirds] HMBC Holiday party and program by Rich Guthrie - Monday Dec 2 at Five Rivers
7:00 PM on Monday Dec 2 at Five Rivers, Game Farm Rd in Delmar.
Rich Guthrie will be speaking on the changes he has observed in 60 years of birding!
You are welcome to bring a dessert or non-alcoholic beverage to share
Be alert for DEER in and near the roads in the area
NOTE - WE ARE WATCHING THE WEATHER FORECAST FOR MONDAY AND IF WE DO NEED TO CANCEL OR POSTPONE THE EVENT, WE WILL SEND OUT A NOTE RIGHT HERE ON HMBIRDS,

Back to top
Date: 11/28/19 4:05 pm
From: Matthew Medler <mdm2...>
Subject: [hmbirds] Collins Lake mergansers
I stopped by Collins Lake in Scotia earlier today (Thanksgiving Day 2019) and was excited to see good numbers of waterfowl on the water. I counted 170 Common Mergansers, including 51 males. There were also five Hooded Mergansers mixed in amongst the Common Mergansers. Also of note was a calling Common Ravenonly the second time I've heard/seen this species at this site, and just my third ever in Schenectady County.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Good birding,
Matt Medler

Back to top
Date: 11/28/19 8:41 am
From: Dana Rohleder via Groups.Io <dcrohleder=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [hmbirds] NNYBirds has moved
Hi all. FYI, NNYBirds has also migrated to io.groups.

https://groups.io/g/NNYBirds

Have a nice Meleagris gallopavo day!

--
Dana Rohleder Owner/moderator NNYBirds
Port Kent, NY

Back to top
Date: 11/26/19 6:05 pm
From: Alison Van Keuren <aev12159...>
Subject: [hmbirds] Rough-legged Hawks - Montgomery County
Found two Rough-legged Hawks today in Montgomery County. One seen from Van
Epps Road and one fly over on Denice Road.

Alison Van Keuren

Back to top
Date: 11/26/19 1:57 pm
From: Naomi Lloyd via Groups.Io <naomi_kestrel=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [hmbirds] No destination this week, and upcoming event
Enjoy that turkey on Thursday, and be sure to get out for a walk and watch our other birds!

The Saratoga CBC will be on Thursday 12/19. Contact Jean Holcomb at <jeanh46...> for details. All Thursday Birders and others are welcome!

Naomi Lloyd

Back to top
Date: 11/25/19 10:09 am
From: Scott Varney <scottvarney1968...>
Subject: [hmbirds] Bald Eagles along Battenkill River
This seems to be the time of year when the Bald Eagles start lining up on
their favorite high perches along the Battenkill River. I found 3 today,
all adults, between Salem and Greenwich on my way to work while travelling
along Route 29 to work in Schuylerville.

Scott Varney
Salem NY

Back to top
Date: 11/25/19 9:28 am
From: John Kent <k2ent76...>
Subject: [hmbirds] Grebes & warbler
At Corning Riverfront Park in Albany around noon today I saw two Red-necked Grebes. They were together on the water, then took off and headed south. A few minutes later, just south of the RR bridge, I found a Pine Warbler associating with chickadees in the trees.

John Kent
Selkirk

Back to top
Date: 11/22/19 8:45 am
From: rob snell via Groups.Io <snell.rob=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [hmbirds] Ecuador with Sthrn ADK Audubon Society
*Join the Southern ADK Audubon Society for nine days of birding in Ecuador, April 17-26, 2020*.

I just returned from this trip, and recorded over 320 species.  This is only a small percentage of the 1700+ species to be found in Ecuador, the most biodiverse country in the world.  My list included 52 species of Hummingbird, and 39 species of the most colorful Tanagers nature could create.  The trip is well priced at $2750 for 9 days of birding, which includes the guide, driver, and fabulous lodging, food and friendships.  I highly recommend this trip for all experienced birders, novice and above.  Please review the attached flyer, or visit the website holbrook.travel/saas-ec20.  Act soon, commitments are due by 12/16.

Thanks,

Rob Snell

Back to top
Date: 11/21/19 6:42 am
From: Alan <adfrench...>
Five Bluebirds out by the boxes just now.

Clear skies, Alan
Glenville

Back to top
Date: 11/20/19 5:11 pm
From: Heidi <hocka1...>
Subject: [hmbirds] Northern Flicker
Had a big Northern Flicker at my suet feeder twice today. 11/20/19

Heidi Klinowski
Troy

Back to top
Date: 11/20/19 11:39 am
From: Earthday49 via Groups.Io <Earthday49=<aol.com...>
Subject: [hmbirds] Hermit Thrush
A Hermit Thrush showed up at our feeder, in Guilderland, this afternoon.  Was present for approx. 10 minutes.

Back to top
Date: 11/20/19 9:35 am
From: Naomi Lloyd via Groups.Io <naomi_kestrel=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [hmbirds] This week's destination: 11/21 and NEW MEETING TIME
It's around peak Golden Eagle migration and I *really* wanted to hit Franklin Mountain this week, but I need to be home by 1:00 for a rescheduled appointment. Boo.

So instead, I'm suggesting meeting at the Thacher Park overlook at 9:00am. They've had several Goldens this fall, one just last week, and hope springs eternal, right? The 5mph wind is from the northwest which is the hawk-driving direction. If you're on facebook, check out these pics from a few weeks ago - this GOEA flew directly under the escarpment!
https://www.facebook.com/HelderbergEscarpmentHawkWatch/posts/1179585642211753?__xts__[0]=68.ARBgtLUJlBEZHmVcRHLnO6X7KqJ0TJzORpzITEm-oouveM9smF6zvHzXVaJGkxxQDHu25fkLjKgUbhJuefJj9xg7Mb-M5noH-AfJ4wmyUHcsIkzGLR7yEdRkKo_S1s70P8iH9OtmRZJ-jwS6h17A3K2M_BGUR3QzKgStGRjCWuBf2WZmYA6kitJy3M1CQo5rZBSfLj3LgyXlcc0OCH1VqgbVz55oB2-o4JAsHcy52jmwkKENZx2AJutQhHknA-HHReXhHTFbed3EDZOSw82sYSrkXB4OlVeCwhnbMmT0VdPLwKd2JcSz3r5sLH7O0dxCcqQH6Ub6x4xXq1jj2SsNw1eP7w&__tn__=-R

I got about a dozen replies last week about changing the winter meeting time to 9:00am, all positive. So for the cold months, we'll assemble at 9:00 and run until noonish as usual. Come spring we can go back to 8:00 until the big migration weeks, when I'll float the "meet at 7:00" proposal.
Enjoy your extra hour!

Naomi

Back to top
Date: 11/20/19 9:14 am
From: Marne Onderdonk via Groups.Io <marne37=<icloud.com...>
Subject: Re: [hmbirds] FW: Taking Flight youth bird art exhibition
Thank you Mona

I passed this along to my *peeps* at Franklin Community Center which runs a wonderful program called Project Lift out of all elementary schools and middle school in the Saratoga Springs school district

Best,

Marne
> On Nov 20, 2019, at 10:49 AM, ConserveBirds <conservebirds...> wrote:
>

> Just to pass the word…
> Mona Bearor
> So. Glens Falls

Back to top
Date: 11/20/19 8:15 am
From: Richard Guthrie <richardpguthrie...>
Nice idea. My thinking is that given the skills and new media available to kids these days, it could be interesting to open a new category for entries in this contest - digital art - and see what happens. We could be pleasantly surprised Or not.
> On Nov 20, 2019, at 10:48 AM, ConserveBirds <conservebirds...> wrote:
>
> Just to pass the word…
> Mona Bearor
> So. Glens Falls

Back to top
Date: 11/20/19 7:49 am
From: ConserveBirds <conservebirds...>
Just to pass the word.
Mona Bearor
So. Glens Falls

[...]

<https://www.massaudubon.org/learn/museum-of-american-bird-art/exhibitions/y
outh-art-exhibit> is a link to our website with more information.

Best,
Dan

Daniel Boudreau
Youth Education Coordinator

<https://assets2.hrc.org/files/assets/resources/TalkingAboutPronouns_oneshee
t_FINAL.pdf> Pronouns - He/Him
Museum of American Bird Art at Mass Audubon
963 Washington St, Canton, MA 02021
781-821-8853 / fax 781-821-8733
<dboudreau...> <mailto:<dboudreau...> /
www.massaudubon.org/maba

Back to top
Date: 11/20/19 6:06 am
From: zach schwartz-weinstein <zachsw...>
Subject: [hmbirds] 2 red-necked grebes, black bridge
Seen from the black bridge in Cohoes.
--
Zach Schwartz-Weinstein
203 500 7774

Back to top
Date: 11/16/19 5:36 am
From: adir46er <rita.reed2819...>
Subject: [hmbirds] FOS American Tree Sparrow
An American Tree Sparrow (first of season) visited our yard this morning. It’s been 11 days (11/5) since we last saw a Chipping Sparrow here.

Rita Reed
East Hoosick, Rensselaer County

Back to top
Date: 11/14/19 2:42 pm
From: Scott Varney <scottvarney1968...>
Subject: [hmbirds] Horned Grebe's and Bald Eagles, Greenwich and Lake Lauderdale.
While driving to and from work this week, I was noticing increasing numbers
of waterfowl on the Battenkill River along Route 29 between the Village of
Greenwich and east toward Battenville. Canada Geese are the predominant
species, but today, I managed to pick out a solitary winter-plumaged Horned
Grebe just west of the Greenwich Town Beach.

Also today at about 4pm, there was a second, similarly-plumaged Horned
Grebe drifting along the Route 22 shoreline of Lake Lauderdale.

I should add that Bald Eagles have been observed routinely along the
Battenkill from Greenwich to Salem every day this week. 'Tis the season!

Scott Varney
Salem NY

Back to top
Date: 11/14/19 9:17 am
From: Andy Mason <andymason...>
Subject: [hmbirds] Golden Eagles at Franklin Mt.
The Golden Eagle migration is peaking at the Franklin Mt. Hawkwatch near
Oneonta in the northern Catskills. Thirty-nine were tallied on Nov. 8,
43 on Nov. 12, and 23 yesterday. These flights were welcome after a
very slow October with only one golden spotted. The season total now
stands at 125.

Movement of Golden Eagles should continue through the month on days with
good conditions--winds from the NW, N, or W, particularly following
passage of a cold front. NW winds are forecast for Friday, but the
weekend does not look promising. Wed. and Thurs. of next week look good
at this point.

There is an email alert available 2 or 3 days in advance of anticipated
good days at Franklin Mt. Anyone interested in being added to the list
can contact me.

More information, and directions to the hawkwatch can be found at
www.franklinmt.org (signup for alert list is also available here). If
you do visit, be sure to dress warmly, especially with northerly winds.
One or two extra layers more than expected are recommended.

Andy Mason
Delaware-Otsego Audubon Soc.

--
Andrew Mason
13 Boylston St.

Back to top
Date: 11/13/19 11:25 am
From: Alan <adfrench...>
Three Bluebirds out by the boxes just now.

Clear skies, Alan
Glenville

Back to top
Date: 11/13/19 9:24 am
From: Lindsey Duval <lindsey.duval...>
Subject: Re: [hmbirds] No destination 11/14 and a question
Some of you may have seen this on WhatsApp, but be careful in the parking
lot of Brown's Beach tomorrow! It is very icy under the snow in the whole
thing. I also have had very few birds there in the past few weeks. Please
don't fall and land on your gear!

Any time works for me when I'm free!

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019, 10:17 AM naomi lloyd <naomi_kestrel...> wrote:

> Hey folks, I'm a bit under the weather this week so no formal destination.
> If anyone wants to gaze over Saratoga Lake and tell me what I'm missing,
> feel free. With luck this big chill will finally send the winter birds our
> way.
>
> And the question -- I'm tossing around the idea of meeting at 9:00am in
> the winter months. That extra hour can make a big difference in temps and
> road condition. Any thoughts? Let me know! (btw I'm also open to meeting at
> 7:00 in spring migration!)
>
> Naomi

Back to top

Date: 11/11/19 2:56 pm
From: Larry & Penny Alden <overlook...>
Subject: [hmbirds] Tomhannock Reservoir and Vicinity - 11/11/19
I continued my annual Veterans' Day trip circumnavigating Tomhannock
Reservoir, this time with Jackie Bogardus accompanying me (thanks, Jackie!).
The traditional route has two inland excursions on Nortonville and
Tomhannock-Johnsonville roads [Northern Turnpike] solely for the purpose of
padding the list. Searching between 8:30 and 3:00 today, we found 49
species. Weather was cloudy with light wind and temperatures ranging from
37 F, dropping to 34 F. For the second straight year, water levels were
very high, so there were no mudflats. Fortunately, the rain/snow held off
for our time afield.

Highlights included 2 Common Loons (one of which we heard calling across the
water), 5 Pied-billed Grebes (3 in one group), 2 Tree Swallows over the
water at the north end of the reservoir, and a Field Sparrow off Nortonville
Road, where we also got an Eastern Screech-Owl (new to the count!)
unexpectedly responding to an owl recording.

I have species records for 20 of the last 21 years (trip totals for all 21)
and I know I've done this count for at least five years before that. Adding
Eastern Screech-Owl brings the 20-year cumulative list to 104 species.

Here's today's list of 49 species (To add to the ignominy of getting an
un-round number of species this year, upon meeting back at our car-pooling
location at the Brunswick Walmart, we had a Fish Crow on a light pole, alas,
too far out of the territory to even consider trying to count as number 50.

Canada Goose

American Black Duck

Mallard

American Green-winged Teal

Ring-necked Duck

Bufflehead

Common Goldeneye

Hooded Merganser

Common Merganser

Ruddy Duck

Common Loon

Pied-billed Grebe (6th time)

Double-crested Cormorant

Great Blue Heron

Bald Eagle

Northern Harrier

Cooper's Hawk

Red-tailed Hawk

Ring-billed Gull

Herring Gull

Rock Pigeon

Mourning Dove

Belted Kingfisher

Eastern Screech-Owl

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Downy Woodpecker

Hairy Woodpecker

Pileated Woodpecker

Blue Jay

American Crow

Tree Swallow (5th time, found the last 3 years - becoming an expected
species)

Black-capped Chickadee

Tufted Titmouse

White-breasted Nuthatch

Eastern Bluebird

American Robin

Northern Mockingbird

European Starling

American Tree Sparrow

Field Sparrow (3rd time)

Song Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored)

Northern Cardinal

Red-winged Blackbird

Brown-headed Cowbird

House Finch

American Goldfinch

House Sparrow

Totals for past year's 11/11 counts are as follows:

2018 - 50

2017 - 51

2016 - 43

2015 - 49

2014 - 44

2013 - 51

2012 - 51

2011 - 50

2010 - 51

2009 - 57

2008 - 57

2007 - 47

2006 - 51

2005 - 57

2004 - 58

2003 - 48

2002 - 52

2001 - 48

2000 - 46

1999 - 47

Larry Alden

Meadowdale

Back to top
Date: 11/11/19 12:12 am
From: ConserveBirds <conservebirds...>
Subject: [hmbirds] Birding trip to Ecuador in 2020
Southern Adirondack Audubon is sponsoring a birding trip to Ecuador, April
17-26, 2020.

Here is a link to more information if interested.
http://www.southernadirondackaudubon.org/Ecuador2020/Ecuador%202020%21.html

Mona Bearor
South Glens Falls

Back to top
Date: 11/10/19 8:58 am
From: John Kent <k2ent76...>
Subject: [hmbirds] "Blue" Snow Goose
There is a dark morph Snow Goose among hundreds of Canada Geese on the pond at the Clapper Road water treatment plant in Selkirk.

John Kent
Selkirk