HMBirds
Received From Subject
8/9/20 10:31 am Cynthia Edwardson <Cjredwardson...> [hmbirds] Hooded Warbler
8/7/20 12:11 pm scottjstoner via groups.io <ScottJStoner=<aol.com...> [hmbirds] Stockport Flats, Aug 6, 2020 ; no terns or tubenoses; active bank swallow colony with photos
8/3/20 6:35 am trwdsd via groups.io <trwdsd=<yahoo.com...> [hmbirds] Cohoes Flats- 8/3
8/2/20 4:05 am Richard Guthrie <richardpguthrie...> [hmbirds] Whimbrels - NO
8/2/20 3:22 am zach schwartz-weinstein <zachsw...> [hmbirds] WHIMBRELS COHOES FLATS NOW
8/1/20 4:20 am John Kent <k2ent76...> [hmbirds] Cohoes 8/1
7/29/20 8:23 am Lindsey Duval <lindsey.duval...> [hmbirds] some more Red Crossbills and Great Horned Owls
7/22/20 1:44 pm omoo3 via groups.io <omoo3=<yahoo.com...> [hmbirds] White Pelican - no
7/22/20 9:33 am Lindsey Duval <lindsey.duval...> [hmbirds] Albert Family Community Forest - RECR, EVGR
7/22/20 8:29 am gregg_recer <gregg_recer...> [hmbirds] white pelican - no
7/22/20 3:26 am zach schwartz-weinstein <zachsw...> [hmbirds] Cohoes flats SBDO yes
7/21/20 6:27 pm kernscot <kernscot...> [hmbirds] Hudson White Pelican
7/21/20 12:07 pm Kathryn Schneider <fallline...> [hmbirds] [MidHudsonBirds] White Pelican in Hudson
7/21/20 11:58 am Tom Lake via groups.io <trlake7=<aol.com...> Re: [hmbirds] White Pelican in Hudson
7/21/20 11:52 am omoo3 via groups.io <omoo3=<yahoo.com...> [hmbirds] White Pelican in Hudson
7/21/20 9:14 am Lindsey Duval <lindsey.duval...> [hmbirds] Red Crossbills - Rensselaer Co.
7/21/20 3:29 am zach schwartz-weinstein <zachsw...> [hmbirds] Short-bilked dowitcher cohoes flats
7/18/20 7:35 am Lindsey Duval <lindsey.duval...> Re: [hmbirds] Hummingbird question
7/18/20 5:57 am ConserveBirds <conservebirds...> [hmbirds] Hummingbird question
7/14/20 5:33 pm scottjstoner via groups.io <ScottJStoner=<aol.com...> [hmbirds] Round Lake and the Anthony Kill - Least Bittern
7/14/20 11:01 am kernscot <kernscot...> [hmbirds] Young Barn Swallows
7/13/20 4:12 pm Alan <adfrench...> [hmbirds] OT: Comet C/2020 F3 NEOWISE

Back to top
Date: 8/9/20 10:31 am
From: Cynthia Edwardson <Cjredwardson...>
Subject: [hmbirds] Hooded Warbler
This morning, Chris and I walked the trails at MHLC Bozen Kill Preserve in
Altamont. We heard a warbler near the intersection of the White and
BlueTrails, not far from the parking lot, and to our great surprise (we're
new to NY birding), a male hooded warbler popped into view after I pished a
bit. It didn't stay out long enough for a photograph and we were unable to
locate it again when we returned from our walk. Deeper into the woods, a
barred owl seemed to respond to my pishing, but from quite a distance. At
the end of the Red Trail, we saw a green heron in the Kill. Twenty species
seen or heard today (late morning) and recorded on ebird.

We love these Preserves and so appreciate the MHLC network that makes it
possible for us to visit them.

Cindy and Chris Edwardson
Albany, NY

Back to top
Date: 8/7/20 12:11 pm
From: scottjstoner via groups.io <ScottJStoner=<aol.com...>
Subject: [hmbirds] Stockport Flats, Aug 6, 2020 ; no terns or tubenoses; active bank swallow colony with photos
Denise and I put in near the mouth of Stockport Creek and paddled out to and around Stockport Middle Ground Island. Highlights were an Osprey, 1 adult and 2 imm Bald Eagles, and an opportunity to observe and photograph the active Bank Swallow colony on the southwest side of the island. Full ebird list is below; the ebird link includes Denise's images of confirmed breeding activity at  the colony. No terns or tubenoses observed along the river..jwk
- Scott Stoner, Loudonville

Date: 8/3/20 6:35 am
From: trwdsd via groups.io <trwdsd=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [hmbirds] Cohoes Flats- 8/3
Shorebird activity continues to ramp up in our region. Early this morning (6:00am) Zach S-W observed three Black-bellied Plovers at Cohoes Flats. Colleen and I had just arrived when they took flight, but that's the view one wants with Pluvialis species. We could see the black "wingpits", and white rump and tail as they headed off to parts unknown. Zach tagged out as Alison VK arrived, and we continued to scan the flats for other birds. We re-found one of the Pectoral sandpipers noted earlier by Zach, foraging in a small group of peeps. One of the peeps was not like the others, so we cautiously moved closer for a better look. What I initially thought was a Semipalmated Sandpiper turned out to be a bit bigger, with longer wings- a White-rumped Sandpiper. There were also four Least Sandpipers in the group. Three Semipalmated Plovers were flying around the flats, and at least one each of Killdeer and Spotted Sandpiper was present. The large collection of Great Egrets from last week seems to have dispersed as we only saw one this morning.

Tom & Colleen Williams
Colonie

Back to top
Date: 8/2/20 4:05 am
From: Richard Guthrie <richardpguthrie...>
Subject: [hmbirds] Whimbrels - NO
Posting for Zack:

The flock took off and flew away at about 6:40 AM

Rich

--
Richard Guthrie

Back to top
Date: 8/2/20 3:22 am
From: zach schwartz-weinstein <zachsw...>
Subject: [hmbirds] WHIMBRELS COHOES FLATS NOW
--
Zach Schwartz-Weinstein
203 500 7774

Back to top
Date: 8/1/20 4:20 am
From: John Kent <k2ent76...>
Subject: [hmbirds] Cohoes 8/1
This morning at Cohoes Flats, Zach and I found a Semipalmated Plover, a Lesser Yellowlegs, and a couple of Least Sandpipers. More notable was the number of Great Egrets. I had a very conservative count of 20, but I think the total was about 25. They seem to be roosting somewhere just south of Ontario Street. Also notable was the number of Ring-billed Gulls that flew up the Mohawk toward the landfill before sunrise - I ended up with a conservative rough count of 670.

John Kent
Selkirk

Back to top
Date: 7/29/20 8:23 am
From: Lindsey Duval <lindsey.duval...>
Subject: [hmbirds] some more Red Crossbills and Great Horned Owls
Had some more Red Crossbills, this time at the Corkscrew Rail Trail! I
don't think they are hanging around there as much as the Rensselaer
Plateau-y spots.

If anybody is out Stephentown, NY way I totally suggest going to the
Corkscrew Rail Trail, it's still very birdy, had about 51 species this
morning, including some fledgling Chestnut-sided Warblers and 3 singing
Canadas (can't seem to find a fledgling for them yet) and a woodpecker 6
pack.

Also, yesterday evening I birded the Cemetery of the Evergreens in New
Lebanon, NY. Also decent for birds. I heard a loud repeated screeching call
near the north side and a Great Horned Owl flew up into a spruce and looked
down at me. A much larger Great Horned Owl also flew into the same tree
soon after. It was pretty late so they were probably getting ready to hunt
the cemetery grounds and nearby farm.

- Lindsey D.
New Lebanon, NY

Back to top
Date: 7/22/20 1:44 pm
From: omoo3 via groups.io <omoo3=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [hmbirds] White Pelican - no
At 4:30 PM (7/22), the pelican was not visible from the City of Hudson "Furgary" boatclub.

Back to top
Date: 7/22/20 9:33 am
From: Lindsey Duval <lindsey.duval...>
Subject: [hmbirds] Albert Family Community Forest - RECR, EVGR
I spent all morning hiking all the trails at Albert Family Community Forest
in Renss. Co. Had another flyover "jip jip jip"ing Red Crossbill.

While hiking the white trail I got to a clearing at almost the highest
elevation there (I think it's around 1100', not too far from the hemlock
swamp on the trail map) and took a break, and ended up hearing an Evening
Grosbeak singing its loose, husky-ish short trill repeatedly. Couldn't find
the bird in the horrible overcast lighting, much to my annoyance, because I
won't count it as my lifer without a good visual, but I've learned the song
and call over time so I can at least add the species to my checklist for
record keeping. It flew while I was trying to find it and called as well,
giving a flat clear "chewp" sort of like a House Sparrow call.

Back to top
Date: 7/22/20 8:29 am
From: gregg_recer <gregg_recer...>
no luck with the reported pelican right now viewing from the derelict
fishing village in Hudson (Google maps labels it furgary fishing village).

Gregg Recer
<gregg_recer...>

Back to top
Date: 7/22/20 3:26 am
From: zach schwartz-weinstein <zachsw...>
Subject: [hmbirds] Cohoes flats SBDO yes
A short-billed dowitcher continues (or maybe it’s a different bird) this
morning at Cohoes Flats. It was feeding in a tiny pool on the rocks with a
Least Sandpiper and some Killdeer and is now resting on a rock in the
middle of the river.
--
Zach Schwartz-Weinstein
203 500 7774

Back to top
Date: 7/21/20 6:27 pm
From: kernscot <kernscot...>
Subject: [hmbirds] Hudson White Pelican
Saw the White Pelican this afternoon in Hudson with Rich Guthrie, Bill Cook and Will Yandick. Seen from the north end fishing shacks and community gardens along the railroad tracks. The pelican was sitting on rocks at the edge of the river near the tracks. In the scope it looked like white debris until it moved, and the large orange bill and white neck were seen.

Nancy Kern
Austerlitz, NY

Back to top
Date: 7/21/20 12:07 pm
From: Kathryn Schneider <fallline...>
Subject: [hmbirds] [MidHudsonBirds] White Pelican in Hudson
I checked this area today and didn’t see it but I could have just been unlucky. Tim is good birder and a reliable source.

Kathy Schneider
Begin forwarded message:

> From: "omoo3 via groups.io" <omoo3=<yahoo.com...>
> Date: July 21, 2020 at 2:46:10 PM EDT
> To: <MidHudsonBirds...>
> Subject: [MidHudsonBirds] White Pelican in Hudson
>
> A White Pelican is hanging out at the north end of the Middle Ground Fats (island) north of Hudson (technically in Greenport), and just downriver from Stockport Flats. Today I observed it from the City of Hudson as preened on the railroad embankment upriver. For a good view upriver, go to the northwest corner of the city to a group of city-owned, dilapidated fishing shacks (next to the wastewater treatment plant), then pull up to the train tracks.
>
> In early August 2011, I found a White Pelican on the Middle Ground Flats immediately opposite of Hudson's state boat launch. A week later it turned up in Cohoes. Same bird? We'll never know.
>
> T. O'Connor

Back to top
Date: 7/21/20 11:58 am
From: Tom Lake via groups.io <trlake7=<aol.com...>
Subject: Re: [hmbirds] White Pelican in Hudson
Love them!
Photos?
Last May 2, Jim Yates had one at the Kingston Lighthouse (river mile 92)
Tom

Tom LakeNew York State Department of Environmental ConservationEstuary Naturalist, Region 3, Hudson River Estuary Programwith New England Interstate Water Pollution Control Commission21 South Putt Corners Road New Paltz NY 12561—<1696trlake7...>

Date: 7/21/20 9:14 am
From: Lindsey Duval <lindsey.duval...>
Subject: [hmbirds] Red Crossbills - Rensselaer Co.
This morning I hiked at both Robert Ingalls Preserve and Chestnut Hill
Nature Preserve in Renss. Co. and had Red Crossbills flying low over Robert
Ingalls giving their "jip jip jip" call. At Chestnut Hill I was bent down
looking at a mushroom when a bird I didn't even know was nearby erupted
into a song I wasn't familiar with. I looked up to see a Red Crossbill take
off!

I noticed on eBird that the whole area south of Cherry Plain SP has no
records of RECR so I am glad to add a few.

Lindsey D.

Back to top
Date: 7/21/20 3:29 am
From: zach schwartz-weinstein <zachsw...>
Subject: [hmbirds] Short-bilked dowitcher cohoes flats
Working the edge of the flats by the county line. Just flew but likely
still here
--
Zach Schwartz-Weinstein
203 500 7774

Back to top
Date: 7/18/20 7:35 am
From: Lindsey Duval <lindsey.duval...>
Subject: Re: [hmbirds] Hummingbird question
Hummingbirds should visit your Hostas as they do like them (they're also on
a Birds and Blooms recommended list for hummers), perhaps they are just
preferring another food source over the Hosta blooms (maybe higher sugar
content in something else).

I'm glad to hear some hostas are nice enough to be blooming too, I'm
renting a room and the poor hostas in the garden here look terrible! (A
neighbor has a million feeders and Scarlet beebalm though.)

Lindsey D.
New Lebanon, NY

On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 8:57 AM ConserveBirds <conservebirds...>
wrote:

> I have hummingbirds visit my yard – mostly for the flowers, occasionally
> for the feeders – but have never seen one feed at the Hosta blooms, of
> which there are hundreds. Does anyone know if they visit Hosta flowers?
>

> Mona Bearor
>
> South Glens Falls

Back to top

Date: 7/14/20 5:33 pm
From: scottjstoner via groups.io <ScottJStoner=<aol.com...>
Subject: [hmbirds] Round Lake and the Anthony Kill - Least Bittern
Denise and I birded this part of our Atlas block in Saratoga County by boat today; the highlight was a young Least Bittern in a marsh area that practically posed for us 100s of photos), and confirmed breeding Marsh Wren. We.also enjoyed views of Bald Eagle, Osprey, Great Blue Heron, and about 30 other species. Scott Stoner, LoudonvilleSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Back to top
Date: 7/14/20 11:01 am
From: kernscot <kernscot...>
Subject: [hmbirds] Young Barn Swallows
Austerlitz, NY

My recently fledged Barn Swallows are out zipping around my field after juicy dragon flies and other goodies. Their short tails distinguish them from the adults. They still perch on the house roof. Happiness!

Nancy Kern

Back to top
Date: 7/13/20 4:12 pm
From: Alan <adfrench...>
Subject: [hmbirds] OT: Comet C/2020 F3 NEOWISE
OT, but perhaps of interest to folks with an interest in the natural
world and equipped with binoculars and spotting scopes. The head of
Comet NEOWISE was easily visible by eye when it was in the predawn sky
and some folks reported seeing some of the tail. It was quite pretty
through binoculars.

This chart shows where it will be one hour after sunset. From
Schenectady sunset is at 8:32 PM on the 15th and 8:28 on the 20th. As it
gets later it will move lower, but the sky will get darker. My guess is
that it might be best seen about 90 minutes after sunset, but would
require a better view to the NW and nice clear skies near the horizon.
Now if we only get some clear nights.

Although tonight is not shown, it will just be a bit below the position
on the 14th and closer to the horizon. Clear skies, however, look
unlikely, although there are some breaks.

Clear skies, Alan