JerseyBirds
Received From Subject
8/19/19 6:11 pm Yong Kong <yklitespeed...> [JERSEYBI] Missed opportunity for photo doc of common nighthawk, Camden County
8/19/19 5:05 am Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...> [JERSEYBI] Raccoon Ridge (18 Aug 2019) 15 Raptors
8/17/19 5:21 pm Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...> [JERSEYBI] Raccoon Ridge (17 Aug 2019) 12 Raptors
8/17/19 11:52 am Sandra Mc <jerseyb...> [JERSEYBI] Purple Martin River Trip
8/15/19 11:49 am Sandra Keller <000006b65d80f212-dmarc-request...> [JERSEYBI] Henslows - no, Uppies - yes
8/14/19 1:39 pm Fred Vir <avtrader...> [JERSEYBI] possible breeding Common Ringed Plover well N of NJ
8/13/19 8:48 pm Paul Guris <paulagics.com...> [JERSEYBI] Results of 8/11-12 Cape May Overnight Pelagic
8/13/19 6:41 pm Sandra Keller <000006b65d80f212-dmarc-request...> [JERSEYBI] Henslow's Sparrow - August?
8/13/19 1:37 pm Sandra Keller <000006b65d80f212-dmarc-request...> [JERSEYBI] Palmyra - migrants
8/13/19 8:38 am CHELEMER, MARC J <mc2496...> [JERSEYBI] Pelagic out of Wildwood Sunday night - Monday afternoon
8/12/19 5:45 pm Sandra Keller <000006b65d80f212-dmarc-request...> [JERSEYBI] Cumberland - shorebirds - nothing unusual
8/12/19 5:58 am L Larson <0000057b603ab9b2-dmarc-request...> [JERSEYBI] Sandhill Crane in Plainsboro
8/10/19 4:33 pm Yong Kong <yklitespeed...> [JERSEYBI] Four Long-billed Dowitchers at Brig Refuge
8/10/19 8:25 am Thierry Besançon <thi.besancon...> [JERSEYBI] White-faced ibises at Forsythe
8/10/19 5:19 am Sandra Keller <000006b65d80f212-dmarc-request...> [JERSEYBI] ebird taxonomy update
8/7/19 10:23 am Susan Treesh <sktreesh...> [JERSEYBI] Text message relay: Black-bellied whistling ducks at Brig
8/6/19 3:33 pm Susan Treesh <sktreesh...> [JERSEYBI] Negri-Nepote 8/6/29 (Somerset Co.)
8/6/19 2:40 pm Mardi Dickinson <mardi1d...> [JERSEYBI] Jason Guerard - BirdCallsRadio
8/5/19 6:18 pm CHELEMER, MARC J <mc2496...> [JERSEYBI] Halifax Road: temporarily denuded; still desirable!
8/5/19 8:08 am Yong <yklitespeed...> Re: [JERSEYBI] Heislerville
8/5/19 5:55 am Harvey Tomlinson <oddbirdsin...> [JERSEYBI] Heislerville
8/4/19 5:34 pm Sandra Keller <000006b65d80f212-dmarc-request...> [JERSEYBI] Common Gallinule - Mannington
8/3/19 7:44 am Sandra Mc <jerseyb...> [JERSEYBI] Purple Martin Viewing Maurice River
7/30/19 8:21 pm John McCarthy and Linda Stehlik <jmcclins...> [JERSEYBI] Wild Turkeys
7/29/19 2:39 pm Sandra Keller <000006b65d80f212-dmarc-request...> [JERSEYBI] cumberland shorebirding today
7/29/19 10:32 am Stuart <weluvowls...> [JERSEYBI] Piping Plover Chicks, But Not Adults, Doing Well in New Jersey - By Rick Mellerup - Surf City, NJ - The SandPaper
7/29/19 2:51 am CHELEMER, MARC J <mc2496...> Re: [JERSEYBI] Cattle egret
7/28/19 1:16 pm Sandra Keller <000006b65d80f212-dmarc-request...> [JERSEYBI] July listing
7/28/19 1:01 pm Opt online <luv2howl...> [JERSEYBI] Cattle egret
7/28/19 6:52 am Thomas W. Reed <coturnicops...> [JERSEYBI] Cape May notes: Red Crossbill, Swainson's Warbler, B-b Whistling-Ducks, migrants
7/26/19 1:02 pm CHELEMER, MARC J <mc2496...> [JERSEYBI] Sloshing and slashing through Glenhurst Meadows (part "Birding Venue report," part birding adventure report)
7/26/19 12:15 pm Walter Gura <waltg19149...> [JERSEYBI] Roof nesting Herring Gulls Atlantic County
7/26/19 8:43 am James O'Brien <jphillipobrien...> [JERSEYBI] Mockingbird vs Peregrine
7/25/19 12:21 pm CHELEMER, MARC J <mc2496...> [JERSEYBI] Halifax Magic
7/24/19 6:27 pm susan richart <njt456...> [JERSEYBI] Screech owl
7/24/19 1:07 pm Mardi Dickinson <mardi1d...> [JERSEYBI] Nate Koszycki Pay It Forward - BirdCallsRadio
7/22/19 2:34 pm Linda Widdop <linda...> Re: [JERSEYBI] Shorebird movements - Gloucester
7/22/19 11:57 am Ilene Schneider <marltonbirder...> [JERSEYBI] Bobolinks at Bright View?
7/22/19 11:46 am Jeanne Boyle <jeboyle169...> Re: [JERSEYBI] Breeding Little Stint Canada
7/22/19 11:40 am Fred Vir <avtrader...> Re: [JERSEYBI] Breeding Little Stint Canada
7/22/19 11:16 am ltgangi <ltgangi...> Re: [JERSEYBI] Shorebird movements - Gloucester
7/22/19 8:58 am Sandra Keller <000006b65d80f212-dmarc-request...> [JERSEYBI] Shorebird movements - Gloucester
7/22/19 5:23 am Harvey Tomlinson <oddbirdsin...> [JERSEYBI] Breeding Little Stint Canada
7/22/19 4:35 am CHELEMER, MARC J <mc2496...> [JERSEYBI] Great day at Forsythe
7/21/19 11:07 am Sandra Keller <000006b65d80f212-dmarc-request...> [JERSEYBI] Phila County - Tinicum - BB Whistling Ducks

Back to top
Date: 8/19/19 6:11 pm
From: Yong Kong <yklitespeed...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Missed opportunity for photo doc of common nighthawk, Camden County
Lately, more so than before I find myself window-shopping at Oregon Listserve especially for shorebird fix. That is how I got the idea of fishing for a common nighthawk after getting home from work.

To my surprise *or as I anticipated* one flew over my street and over the neighbor’s nursery. Although I have not seen one since last summer at home sky, very distinctive flight style with wings held in a V-shape during up stroke was unmistakable for positive ID, Quick peek via bins revealed white wing bars. While waiting for the common nighthawk to show up I did enjoy several greatest crested flycatchers, blue-gray gnatcatchers, cedar waxwings, and single black-and-white warbler and eastern wood-pewee. All viewed from doing the nighthawk sit at the driveway.

But sadly, I missed the photo of the common nighthawk. Reason ? I was all caught up tinkering with my new Android phone and trying to install GroupMe, I had no clue there are three NJ’s own GroupMe birding groups besides Bill’s. The common nighthawk was almost out of my sight when I took my eyes off the phone.

It looks like I will be visiting Oregon Listserve for ID tips on shorebirds bit more as I witness the evolution of NJ birder’s path away from JBirds

Yong Kong
Winslow Township

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Back to top
Date: 8/19/19 5:05 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Raccoon Ridge (18 Aug 2019) 15 Raptors
Raccoon Ridge
Blairstown, New Jersey, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Aug 18, 2019

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 0 0 0
Osprey 0 0 0
Bald Eagle 6 10 10
Northern Harrier 0 0 0
Sharp-shinned Hawk 0 1 1
Cooper's Hawk 1 1 1
Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 0 0
Broad-winged Hawk 8 14 14
Red-tailed Hawk 0 0 0
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 0 0
American Kestrel 0 1 1
Merlin 0 0 0
Peregrine Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 15 27 27

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end time: 16:30:00
Total observation time: 7.5 hours

Official Counter: Jim Thomson

Observers: Jack McCormack

Visitors:
Hikers- 14

Weather:
Temps 71-88 Deg.F Winds- AM- S@ 2-5mph becoming more
variable in the PM switching to the west and than back to
the east with gusts to 13mph.
Heavy fog in AM cleared out at 10:30 and gave way to
partly cloudy skies

Raptor Observations:
Bald Eagles - 11:23I,2:30I,2:39I,2:40I,2:41I,3:15I

Jack and I had some unexpected incredible Bald Eagle
activity on the ridge today ! We only counted 6 as migrating but we
CONSERVATIVELY saw well over 30 Bald
Eagles today. Many young birds in the mix.
Not to sound like a broken record but our Bird(s) of the Day go to the 3
immature Bald Eagles that were chasing,circling and dogfighting right near
the watch site at eye level with one bird coming in very close to the watch
site ( maybe 75ft-100ft away ) What a show !

Non-raptor Observations:
BV'S & TV'S
Redtails
Cedar Waxwings, Chimney Swifts
Ravens- 7
Hummers- 3
Monarchs- 7
Black Swallowtails, Tiger Swallowtails
Report submitted by Jim Thomson (<hawkinflight...>)

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=339

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Back to top
Date: 8/17/19 5:21 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Raccoon Ridge (17 Aug 2019) 12 Raptors
Raccoon Ridge
Blairstown, New Jersey, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Aug 17, 2019

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 0 0 0
Osprey 0 0 0
Bald Eagle 4 4 4
Northern Harrier 0 0 0
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1 1 1
Cooper's Hawk 0 0 0
Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 0 0
Broad-winged Hawk 6 6 6
Red-tailed Hawk 0 0 0
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 0 0
American Kestrel 1 1 1
Merlin 0 0 0
Peregrine Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 12 12 12

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Jim Thomson

Observers: Al Ambler, Brian Butler, Phil Rodriguez, Stephen Bagen

Visitors:
Also many thanks to Maura Griffin for her spotting efforts today !!
Hikers- 36
NOBO- Crash Brandicock- best of luck the rest of the way and take care of
that leg !!!

Weather:
Heavy mist/fog in am to partly sunny skies in pm
Wind- S/SE @ 4-11mph
Temps- 73-84 degrees F

Raptor Observations:
BE- 10:54A, 10:55I, 12:18I, 1:23A

Today kicks off our 2019 season and what a way to start with our first
"official" bird of the new season being an adult Bald Eagle ! The day
started off with thick heavy fog on the ridge top that slowly cleared and
gave us some partly sunny skies. We were all very thankful for the breeze
that stuck with us for most of the day !! We had MANY Bald eagles floating
around the watch site today but only counted 4 as migrating. Bird(s) of the
Day honors goes to the two immature Bald Eagles that came in right at the
end of the day and circled each other directly above the watch site and low
!! No binocular required to see the fine feather detail on these 2
beautiful young eagles !!
Contender for Bird(s) of the Day go to the Sharpie and Kestrel that had a
long and drawn out "dogfight" just upridge of the watch site.

Non-raptor Observations:
TV's & BV's
Ravens-2
Exceptional Butterfly activity today which included:
Monarch- 8
Orange Sulphur, Spring Azure, Red spotted purple, Viceroy,
Buckeye,Tiger Swallowtail, Black Swallowtail, Painted lady
Tree Swallows, Barn Swallows, Chimney Swifts
Yellow throated Vireo
Report submitted by Jim Thomson (<hawkinflight...>)

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=339

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Back to top
Date: 8/17/19 11:52 am
From: Sandra Mc <jerseyb...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Purple Martin River Trip
Hello JerseyBirders:

Last night was a great evening to take the Citizens United for the Maurice River boat trip out of Port Norris/Bivalve. The trip up river offered numerous sightings of Bald Eagle, Osprey, Great Blue Heron, Laughing Gull (of every age and plumage) and Clapper Rail. Upon arriving north of the Maurice Bridge the captain set us in the perfect area to enjoy the thousands of Purple Martin flying against the sunset. Great waves of birds came in and out of the frags flying higher in the sky then diving back down into the marsh. The waves of birds continued each time getting larger and larger. Birds were calling and flying very close to the boat. I would say there were four big waves of birds with the last reaching toward 100,000 (I'm being overly cautious in my number). A wonderful sight and worthwhile trip. Keep it in mind for next year.

Sandy McNicol
Kingwood Township

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Back to top
Date: 8/15/19 11:49 am
From: Sandra Keller <000006b65d80f212-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Henslows - no, Uppies - yes
I knew very iffy for the Henslows. Probably still around, bit unless perched
out singing..... It wasn't this morning. No August bird. I picked up 6 Somerset
birds however and had a nice morning exploring there and Colonial Park.

And since my work schedule gets crazy starting this weekend, I decided
to try and see the Burlington County fairgrounds Uppies on the way home.
Success! Scanning from 206 seems to be the best. At least for today.
Uppies move around a lot.

Good birding all.

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Back to top
Date: 8/14/19 1:39 pm
From: Fred Vir <avtrader...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] possible breeding Common Ringed Plover well N of NJ
Here is something that will get Harvey and Yong back in the game-----a well inland bird with a N latitude involved.

Possible Common Ringed Plover well N of NJ. I find this as a probable breeding bird in NA....but the species is already known to be a Canada breeder, so not Earth shaking news.

If you contemplate various variables like warming trend, stronger winds and storms who knows what the future holds for breeding and vagrants. On the S US border and S states we are seeing some unusual species for perhaps the same and different reasons.

And look at all those White-faced storm petrels......even assuming some counts other than Paul's are way off.

Tks Fred Virrazzi
Sec Nj

Common Ringed Plover (Charadrius hiaticula) (1)
- Reported Aug 13, 2019 08:45 by Sarah Lamond
- Algonquin Provincial Park--Radiant Lake, Nipissing, Ontario
- Map:http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.9933839,-78.2899475&ll=45.9933839,-78.2899475
- Checklist:https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58983625
- Media: 9 Photos
- Comments: "We were walking down the beach and I spotted a suspect plover, and watched and photographed it for a few minutes. Sarah Lamond caught up to me, and I showed her said plover. We both agreed it was a candidate for Common Ringed Plover, as the breastband looked extremely thick and eyering was not visible. The rest of the group soon joined us and we drew their attention to the animal. As we neared the plover, these characteristics as well as a narrow white supercilium became more apparent. The plover then flew with its comrades a little further down the extensive sand flat. On our way back, we made a concentrated effort to document this bird, which we succeeded in getting close to and noting down essentially every field mark relevant to Common Ringed Plover: white superciliary, black eye-ring, very broad breast band from several angles and poses, bright legs, auriculars same colour as mask (very dark). We then made a concentrated effort between Hayden and myself to !
acquire pictures of its toes. Several photographs taken from several angles indicated the lack of webbing on the outer toe, eliminating Semipalmated Plover entirely. An incredible bird for Ontario and more importantly, Algonquin Park."

On 8/13/2019 9:41 PM, Sandra Keller wrote:
> I only see 8/1 on the maps. Has anyone tried lately? I am thinking of Thursday for an August bird.
>
> Thanks.
>

> Sandra Keller
> <sandrakeller...>
>
> Sent from my Imac
>

> How to report NJ bird sightings: see <www.njbrc.com/index.php/reporting-rare-birds/>
> or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
> List help: <jerseybi-request...>
> List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Back to top
Date: 8/13/19 8:48 pm
From: Paul Guris <paulagics.com...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Results of 8/11-12 Cape May Overnight Pelagic
We had a really great day with good birds, excellent cetaceans, and other
neat sea creatures ... and then things got REAL!

Offshore we had clean blue water with exceedingly light winds and flat
seas. This allowed great viewing of plenty of Band-rumped Storm-Petrels, a
couple Leach's, Red-necked Phalarope, Cuvier's Beaked Whales, Atlantic
Spotted Dolphins, etc. but made the larger seabirds significantly harder to
find since they weren't flying much and when they did they were practically
pinned to the surface of the water. A big thanks to our one mate Kirby for
bringing his plankton net and viewing box to show people the smaller
creatures out there. Kirby and leader Mike Fritz also pulled in Sargassum
weed where they found crabs, shrimp, fish, and other neat creatures
including a lifer for Mike, a Blue Dragon or Blue Glaucus (*Glaucus
atlanticus*). This amazing creature nibbles on species like Portuguese Man
o' War and stores the stinging cells for its own use.

On the way in we headed towards an area where leader Ed Sigda had been
seeing an excellent whale show for the past month or so. As we got into the
area the numbers of Wilson's Storm-Petrels began climbing and climbing. We
were hoping for White-faced in this area (they aren't tied to deep water as
Band-rumped seems to be) and we weren't disappointed. One was spotted off
the bow and with the flat seas we were able to follow it around for
minutes. We continued on our way and as we approached a large flock of
Wilson's sitting on the water another White-faced jumped up with the flock
... and then another ... and another ... for a total of 6 birds! We
eventually found a total of 12 with multiple calls of "White-faced!" not
counted as possible repeats. We had a bonus of a close Minke Whale and a
close mom-calf pair of Humpbacks. I went upstairs to review some cetacean
numbers with Tom Reed, our official counter. I wanted to check in with Ed
and Mike so I went down to the main deck, chatted a bit, and returned to
Tom 5 minutes later ... only to be told they had another White-faced. Total
insanity!

A HUGE thank you to our leaders, participants, and the captains and mates
of the Atlantic Star. Getting these trips out and fun is a group effort.

Here is the official list. Kudos to whomever bothered to track down the
moth species on the boat!

Black-bellied Plover – 2
Marbled Godwit – 1
Sanderling – 1
Least Sandpiper – 2
Red-necked Phalarope – 5
Laughing Gull – 2
Herring Gull – 7
Bridled Tern – 1
Common Tern – 3
Wilson's Storm-Petrel – 15,658
White-faced Storm-Petrel – 13
Leach's Storm-Petrel – 2
Band-rumped Storm-Petrel – 58
Cory's Shearwater – 10
Great Shearwater – 1
Audubon's Shearwater – 6
shearwater sp. – 1
swallow sp. – 1
Brown-headed Cowbird – 1

Cuvier's Beaked Whale – 6
beaked whale sp. – 5+
Pilot Whale – 235
Minke Whale – 1
Humpback Whale – 6
Fin Whale – 2
inshore Atlantic Bottlenose Dolphin – 5+ (seen near the Cape May jetty on
the return trip)
Common Dolphin – 10
Risso's Dolphin – 3
Atlantic Spotted Dolphin – 120
Hammerhead Shark – 1
shark sp. – 2 (photos are being reviewed but the dorsal appears to match
Great White!)
Ocean Sunfish – 2
Loggerhead Turtle – 7

bat sp. (likely Eastern Red) – 1
Monarch – 1
Bent-line Carpet moth – 1
Ailanthus Webworm moth – 1
Lucerne Moth – 1
Green Cloverworm moth – 2
White-speck moth – 3
Yellow-striped Armyworm moth – 2
Lunate Zale moth – 1
Ipsilon Dart moth – 3
Geometer moth sp. – 2 (flying past boat during AM)
moth sp. – 17 (flying past boat during AM)
green lacewing sp. (Chrysoperla) – 5
dragonfly sp. - 1

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Back to top

Date: 8/13/19 1:37 pm
From: Sandra Keller <000006b65d80f212-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Palmyra - migrants
It was very birdy there this morning! I enjoyed a nice feeding flock
that seems to be sticking. I had everything I believe but the Golden-winged!
Oh well..... I can't imagine it would move on far with these winds though.
Good luck to anyone trying tomorrow morning. And morning does seem
to be the time frame. Nothing like a rarity to see old friends again!
The little pit area.

In Camden county - that Whydham pumping station looks really
good for various species. It's loaded with water. Maybe too much at present,
but I will check now and then for herons and shorebirds.

Good birding all. Alas doesn’t look like any more cold fronts for awhile!

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Back to top
Date: 8/13/19 8:38 am
From: CHELEMER, MARC J <mc2496...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Pelagic out of Wildwood Sunday night - Monday afternoon
Jerseybirders,

I don't know if there's a protocol on pelagics here on this listserv, but I thought I'd take the shark by the dorsal fin and offer a writeup.

At 4:15 AM, we all awoke about 80 miles SE of Cape May, well off the continental shelf, in 81 degree, several thousand feet deep water. We watched a few meteors flash across the sky as the Perseid shower continued. I saw a satellite as well. The crew set up a chum slick in the calm sea. At first light, storm-petrels quartered in to the ship, and the guides helped everyone use wing shape and flight style to identify all three of the common species: Leach's, Wilson's, and Band-rumped. After sunrise, we cruised back and forth in that area of deep blue water for some hours, the highlight being sailing up to a piece of flotsam to find a Bridled Tern sitting on it. Three shearwater species: Cory's, Great, and Audubon's, were also identified out in this area. However, their numbers were low; the lack of any wind kept the shearwaters from being able to dynamically soar, so they were not active (and no South Polar Skua picked up the scent of the fish oil, so that was a "miss" on this trip). Other ocean life was present, the highlight being a pod of Spotted Dolphin who cavorted by making spectacular leaps out of the water, or "racing" the ship by riding the bow wave. I also found the flying fish to be mesmerizing, and they were present all day long.

After a few hours off the shelf, we headed to another area closer in where the guides and the crew had, on recent forays out into the ocean, found more birds. In the hour that saw us sail WNW over the "lip" of the canyon and back onto the continental shelf, we found five Red-necked Phalaropes, a lone Marbled Godwit, a lone Least Sandpiper, a swallow (sp.) and a Brown-headed Cowbird (55 miles from land!). Also encountered was a bat (!) and a Monarch butterfly.

Upon arriving at the "area" (Captain Ernie later said we were about 45 miles out), we espied certainly the species of the trip: a White-faced Storm-Petrel doing its remarkable open-winged bouncy-bouncy feeding style. The bird was confiding enough to allow the boat to make two full circles around it, at a distance of no more than fifty or so feet, giving all passengers exceptional looks. Of the fifty or so birders on board, I think it was a Lifer for nearly half (myself included).

Not long afterwards, around 1 PM, we encountered a bonanza of stimuli, all within the space of an hour: two Humpback whales, a Minke whale, a hammerhead shark, another shark sp., two Fin Whales, dolphins, and several gigantic (Tom Reed estimated the number at 12,000!) flocks of storm-petrels, where the guides and crew found not one, not two, but another DOZEN White-faced Storm-Petrels mixed in with the Wilson's.

In the end, the open-ocean tally was four storm-petrel sp., three shearwater sp., five shorebird sp. (we added Black-bellied Plover and Sanderling), the Bridled Tern, the swallow and the Cowbird. We also observed eight mammal sp., numerous fish sp., several Loggerhead Sea Turtles, and numerous butterflies and moths. With fine sunny weather, glassy-smooth seas, and an excellent crew and volunteer guides (thanks Tom, Scott, Ed, Mike, David, and Paul), everyone disembarked around 5:15 happy, with stories to tell.

Good birding,

Marc J. Chelemer
Tenafly, NJ
(574)

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Back to top
Date: 8/12/19 5:45 pm
From: Sandra Keller <000006b65d80f212-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Cumberland - shorebirds - nothing unusual
Hello,
I started mid morning at Higbee’s for an August Swainson’s. Success! I am having good success with that bird.
I met up with a friend who isn’t! It is hit or miss. It doesn’t seem to sing often. And it is moving around this month.
Anyway, the first field, west side, extreme south end. There’s a trail. Walk in. Wait an hour! Hopefully it will sing.
Hopefully it sticks there.
According to ebird, I have 229 species in August. My excel chart needs a lot of updating. Only 208 there…..
I need to check my records against the chart.
Is 250 possible for me? Well, I was birding with a friend who has 299 in August at the moment! I can’t even
imagine that! Yet….

Medium - low tide range at Heislerville. I know not good for the south impoundment. But I checked anyway.
Not much! The interesting thing was that the cove was almost covered. I think the strong south winds pushed
water in. So, not many shorebirds there.
Bivalve - high St. was hopping. Medium tide coming in. Loaded with birds. Nothing unusual though. I probably
should have given it another 45 minutes or so. The birds were concentrating by the boardwalk as the tide was
coming in. But was tired and had to get home! Next time.

Butterfly notes - those big, greenish tinged sulphurs are Cloudless Sulphurs. And it’s a good year for them!
Nice to see.

Good birding all.

Sandra Keller
<sandrakeller...>

Sent from my Imac

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Back to top
Date: 8/12/19 5:58 am
From: L Larson <0000057b603ab9b2-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Sandhill Crane in Plainsboro
Birders,
Bob Birrer e-mailed me to say he found a Sandhill Crane in Plainsboro yesterday (Sunday) evening. It was near the intersection of Grovers Mill Rd and Cranbury Neck Rd in a flooded field. He posted photographs to E-bird.

This is a temporary pond that currently hosts Great and Snowy egrets and shorebirds in addition to the Crane.

Happy birding,
Laurie Larson
Lumberton

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Back to top
Date: 8/10/19 4:33 pm
From: Yong Kong <yklitespeed...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Four Long-billed Dowitchers at Brig Refuge
I have no clue that is the proper etiquette when I run into the NJ Audubon group at the dike drive especially when I did not registered for the trip or paid the fee. In the past, to make sure I would not be labeled as *free-loader* meaning non-paying participant, I would drive by the group, then stay at least 100 feet away from the group, and refrain myself from any conversation with the trip leaders or even say hello to fellow birders.

Today I was a NJ Audubon trip free-loader. At the east dike, I was able to study those 4 long-billed Dowitchers initially found by Milton Collins, then again/confirmed by NJ Audubon trip leaders. Unlike others, I did not hear the *kek* calls or saw the white underwing lesser coverts. My shorebird ID mentor, Harvey T. has told me to look/listen for these critical long-billed ID features, easy to listen to Harvey’s instructions but so hard to put in practice.

However, I was able to study the ratio of black and white bands on the tail, and the downloaded photos did confirm what I saw during live action.

Personal lesson learned here and what I want to pass onto my fellow beginner birders is, don’t be a hard ass *like yours truly* and sign-up for NJ Audubon trips and eavesdrop on what the trip leaders are saying on the bird ID rather then hell-bent on finding birds own your own.

Since I opened my big mouth here, am I the only birder that is so stoked that Bill E. is birding at Brig on regular basis and his findings are on ebird ?

Some photos of the long-billed dowitchers on my Flickr for those who are still struggling with the ID of long-billed dowitchers, and especially wondering exactly what type of plumage-pattern they were supporting on this particular day at Brig.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56086564@N04/

Carole, It was my pleasure finally meeting you in person !!!

Yong Kong
Winslow Township, Camden County

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Back to top
Date: 8/10/19 8:25 am
From: Thierry Besançon <thi.besancon...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] White-faced ibises at Forsythe
Hi all,
Just found 2 white-faced ibises this morning at Forsythe. They were mixed with glossy ibises in area A8. Also an immature white ibis in zone B10 this am.
Good luck,
Thierry Besançon

Envoyé de mon iPhone

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Back to top
Date: 8/10/19 5:19 am
From: Sandra Keller <000006b65d80f212-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] ebird taxonomy update
Looks like it is mostly done. I am sure some splits and lumps
to still be worked on. The post on the home page of ebird
central has all the affected species and why. Excellent
reading! Plus you can click on the my records and see if a
split has affected you. That might not be quite finished yet.
I went through last night and found one. Yet I have picked up
a few birds! I'll go through again!

The family adjustments are at the bottom of the post. Two
families gone. Fine by me, less to chase! Although I had already
ticked off one of them..... And one family just rearranged.
That poor Sharpbill - it keeps getting lumped, split out, and
other birds added to it! I am now awaiting the final
Clements family list so I can adjust my excel chart re the order
of the families. Won't take long once I get the list.

Good birding all. Nice cold front last night! Wasn't much on the radar
though.

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Back to top
Date: 8/7/19 10:23 am
From: Susan Treesh <sktreesh...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Text message relay: Black-bellied whistling ducks at Brig
Jerseybirders, passing on a text message report that there are a couple
of BLACK-BELLIED WHISTLING DUCKS at the dogleg at Brigantine.

Susan Treesh
Somerset

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Back to top
Date: 8/6/19 3:33 pm
From: Susan Treesh <sktreesh...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Negri-Nepote 8/6/29 (Somerset Co.)
Jerseybirders, the black cherries are ripe at Negri right now, and there
are loads of birds moving through eating them.  Most are cedar waxwings,
robins, or catbirds, but the numbers are impressive.  Juveniles of all
sorts are active, and some are still being fed.  I saw a juvenile brown
thrasher that still had a great deal of fluffy down.

Young sparrows abound, but the grasshopper sparrows are either
completely silent or gone.  There were still some present at my last
visit a couple of weeks ago.  The Henslow's sparrow did not show while I
was there.  Some birds that have largely departed include kingbirds and
buntings.  Only a few were still around. The pond had only a great blue
heron - although the vegetation is so high that I might have missed
something. I've never seen the vegetation so lush there.

I finally caught a look at the black-billed cuckoo that I've missed on
previous visits.

Time of day really matters, even in August.  I followed this visit with
one at Duke Farms, getting there just before 10 am, and bird activity
there was very low in comparison to that earlier at Negri.  The cloudy
skies helped keep temperatures cooler, but didn't seem to keep the birds
more active.

What are some other sites filled with fruiting trees that you
Jerseybirders cold recommend?  Willowood along Rt. 206 near Chester is
probably good.

Susan Treesh
Somerset

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Back to top
Date: 8/6/19 2:40 pm
From: Mardi Dickinson <mardi1d...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Jason Guerard - BirdCallsRadio
Birders et al,

Thought many of you would be interested in my next guest Jason Guerard https://bit.ly/2akUsxp

Happy Birding!

Cheers,
Mardi Dickinson

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Back to top
Date: 8/5/19 6:18 pm
From: CHELEMER, MARC J <mc2496...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Halifax Road: temporarily denuded; still desirable!
Jerseybirders,

I visited my favorite haunt today after work. The property owner must have recently decided that a four-foot wide pathway through the mugwort just wasn't good enough, so the "pathway" is now at least fifteen feet wide in large sections. There's still enough mugwort that the sparrow migration shouldn't be too affected once it begins, but it is alarming to see huge swaths of vegetation just gone in favor of what now looks like a two-lane highway right-of-way. Thank goodness mugwort grows back quickly!

Despite the cutback, the area was very birdy this evening, especially at one location. Strolling along the "boulevard," I saw in the distance three Cardinals flying around very actively, apparently chasing something. Upon cautious approach, I noticed a small puddle at the edge of a few trees and bushes. There must have been an insect hatch occurring, because at the one spot there were, in roughly taxonomic order: two Red-eyed Vireos, a Warbling Vireo, a Downy Woodpecker, two Blue Jays, four Gnatcatchers, six Titmice, three Chickadees, two Catbirds, two Wood-Pewees, a Phoebe, perhaps an empidonax sp. (I only got a glimpse), three Chipping Sparrows, two Orchard Orioles, a Black-and-white Warbler (sharing the "bathtub" with an oriole!), the three Cardinals, and flyovers of another six species: 20 species at this one spot in about fifteen minutes of just standing still!

I had thought that the Orioles were gone. The Red-winged Blackbirds have vanished, and I haven't heard a Yellowthroat scold for awhile. Summer is ending for these passerines, and now I'm waiting for the migration to begin!

Good birding,

Marc Chelemer
Tenafly
(262)

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Back to top
Date: 8/5/19 8:08 am
From: Yong <yklitespeed...>
Subject: Re: [JERSEYBI] Heislerville
Hello, birders!!
Just to add to Harvey’s comment about Brig, last week a jbirder emailed me if I knew anything about if water level would be lowered at the impoundment, north dike near dogleg. This birder indicated water level is so high ducks could be drowned there.

It was a joke but the comment sheds some light on the lack of opportunities for shorebird stop over habitat at this particular impoundment.

I wish I could share more of my birding reports, but I am still on the run from NJ bird police, Inspector Javert.

Yong Kong
Winslow, Camden County

Sent from my Windows 10 device

Date: 8/4/19 5:34 pm
From: Sandra Keller <000006b65d80f212-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Common Gallinule - Mannington
I managed one. And that took some patience! Seems like a bad year
down here at our usual spots. Too much water? Too much vegetation?
Mute Swans driving them out?? I have not a clue.

This is my latest Gallinule - FOY - ever. And I did look in the spring!
It was an immature bird.

Not too much else around. East Coast sod had a few Semipalm
Plovers. Dead.....

Good birding all.

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Back to top
Date: 8/3/19 7:44 am
From: Sandra Mc <jerseyb...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Purple Martin Viewing Maurice River
Hello JerseyBirders

Last year was the first I had heard about the Maurice River Cruises to see the Purple Martins gathering along the Maurice River. This year I booked a trip and thought others might be interested. This is offered by Citizens United for the Maurice River. Contact them for more info. Email is at the bottom.

19 th Annual
PURPLE MARTIN SPECTACULAR
August 2019 in Cumberland County, NJ

Purchase your last minute tickets today before the remaining cruises sell out!

Tickets available for:
August 7th, 8th, & 19th
SOLD OUT:
August 16th, 17th, & 18th

Slowly cruise the Wild and Scenic Maurice River at sunset with
CU Maurice River Wildlife Management Director and purple martin expert Allen Jackson.
CU Maurice River and NJ Audubon representatives will also be on board
to interpret points of natural and cultural interest.
Email: <CitizensUnited...>

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Back to top
Date: 7/30/19 8:21 pm
From: John McCarthy and Linda Stehlik <jmcclins...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Wild Turkeys
A flock of 12 wild turkeys is running around our neighborhood, Woodgate Road, Middletown, near Kings Highway East. At least two of them have very pale upper backs and white tail tips. Are those individuals mixed wild-domestic? Are turkeys becoming that common in Monmouth County?
Linda Stehlik

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Back to top
Date: 7/29/19 2:39 pm
From: Sandra Keller <000006b65d80f212-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] cumberland shorebirding today
Hot! I was feeling that heat and didn't hit two spots I wanted.
But the three that I did were good.

The south impoundment at Heislerville was devoid of birds. It
wasn't high tide - it was medium. So high tide for sure there!
I just couldn't swing it this morning.

East Point - at medium to low tide is good. The rocks and sand that expose
off either parking area are good. As is the sand off the lighthouse overlook.
Nothing out of the ordinary today.

Moore's Beach next - dead low tide. That actually isn't the best - a whole
lot of exposed sand and mud and rocks. I shattered the Turnstone filter.
That needs adjusting.

Bivalve - High St. boardwalk and platform. That was also dead low tide.
I was hoping the tide would be coming in, but I guess it is a bit behind
the bayshore. Anyway, enough birds were close that I was happy.
I should have carried my Sony out there. A lot of shorebirds were right
by the platform. I had one LB Dow - which is rare to unusual in Cumberland.
My usual timing is Sept and Oct. They are around now though. Nice!
Lots of hendersoni SB dow around also.

A good shorebird study today.

Good birding all.

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Back to top
Date: 7/29/19 10:32 am
From: Stuart <weluvowls...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Piping Plover Chicks, But Not Adults, Doing Well in New Jersey - By Rick Mellerup - Surf City, NJ - The SandPaper
Jerseybirders

A link below to an article of interest.

Wendy Malmid

Monroe Twp,NJ

https://www.thesandpaper.net/p/piping-plover-chicks-but-not-adults-doing-well-in-new-jersey/1825221

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Back to top
Date: 7/29/19 2:51 am
From: CHELEMER, MARC J <mc2496...>
Subject: Re: [JERSEYBI] Cattle egret
Jerseybirders,

I went much later in the day: the gates were locked, the winery does not reopen until Wednesday, and it appears to be completely fenced off to pedestrian (or deer) access.

Good birding, but elsewhere!

Marc Chelemer

Date: 7/28/19 1:16 pm
From: Sandra Keller <000006b65d80f212-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] July listing
Managed Pileated and Screech owl at Rancocas this afternoon.
July birds! It was very birdy there. loads of mosquitoes also!
Screech starts getting vocal again in August. This is late
July, close!

Fern notes - the usual. Between the heat and the mosquitoes,
I faded fast....

Monday Cumberland! Am told the south impoundment is still
down. And drawing shorebirds at high tide.

Good birding all.

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Back to top
Date: 7/28/19 1:01 pm
From: Opt online <luv2howl...>
A cattle egret is currently present at the impound pond in front of Laurita winery.

Sent from my iPhone

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Back to top
Date: 7/28/19 6:52 am
From: Thomas W. Reed <coturnicops...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Cape May notes: Red Crossbill, Swainson's Warbler, B-b Whistling-Ducks, migrants
A few highlights from the past week--

Songbird migration is now noticeable on a daily basis at Cape Island.
Yellow Warbler (predictably) made up a large portion of the morning flight
movements this week, with 60+ flying west past the South Cape May dunes on
Thursday and another 25 Friday morning. A few Louisiana and Northern
waterthrushes have also appeared during early-AM movements in recent days
along with Am. Redstart, Prothonotary, Worm-eating, Prairie,
Yellow-throated, and notably a Cerulean Warbler on Friday. The season's
first Dickcissel flew past the Meadows on Wednesday, but a bigger surprise
was delivered by the Red Crossbill, apparently a Type 1, that flew over
Higbee Beach the same morning. A singing Swainson's Warbler at Higbee,
first noted Wednesday, is presumably the same individual from earlier in
the year and still present this morning; it is being heard from the south
end of the first field.

Occasional singles or small parties of Barn Swallow, Bank Swallow, and
Purple Martin are moving past Cape May Pt. on days with westerly winds, and
the recent cold front brought the first mini-swarms of Tree Swallows to the
dunes Tuesday. Dragonfly movements have generally been light, but small
numbers of Swamp Darners and Spot-winged Gliders were moving past the South
Cape May dunes most days this week. We've also seen a fair influx of
Cloudless Sulphur butterflies, presumably arriving from points south.

Shorebird passage has continued at a modest pace in recent days, with small
flocks of Semipalmated and Least sandpipers, Lesser Yellowlegs, and
Short-billed Dowitchers departing southwest from Cape May Point on an
hourly basis during the AM hours. A few Pectoral and Stilt sandpipers are
occasionally mixed in with the Lessers, and a Wilson's Phalarope tagged
along with one of the yellowlegs flocks on Tuesday morning. We're entering
prime time for Upland Sandpiper-- one flew past the Meadows early this
morning. There's been a decent amount of activity in the rips off Cape May
Pt/South Cape May, highlighted by a Manx Shearwater Saturday morning and
1-2 Great Shearwaters in recent days. Brown Pelican remains a constant
feature, with a couple reports of 20-30 individuals this week. It's
currently difficult to spend more than a half hour at any ocean beach
without seeing pelicans.

White Ibis has also been a headliner in recent days. It seems there are 5+
birds in the area, most often seen in flight from the South Cape May
Meadows or Cape May Pt. State Park, but also occasionally at the pond along
Shunpike Rd (near the Beanery). A trio of Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks
spent a bit of time between the Meadows and the State Park on Wednesday
morning, but apparently did not linger long.

Lastly, a/the Eurasian Collared-Dove was again noted at Cape Island, this
time near the Cape May Elementary School on Saturday morning.

best,
tr

--
Tom Reed
Reed's Beach NJ

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>

Back to top
Date: 7/26/19 1:02 pm
From: CHELEMER, MARC J <mc2496...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Sloshing and slashing through Glenhurst Meadows (part "Birding Venue report," part birding adventure report)
Jerseybirders,

Yesterday evening, the air being not too hot and the humidity low, I decided to see what Glenhurst Meadows might reveal as the day ended. Somerset County has finally mowed the center trail, east trail, and the "sparrow mound" crossover trail so that one doesn't have to walk through 6-foot high grasses on those sections. However, both the center and west have one section at the back flooded so thoroughly that only hip waders or a paddleboard would allow dry passage. That means one must take the east trail to get to the back. The east trail is graced with a long stand of wild black-raspberry bushes at the edge of the mowed path. It's worth going just to enjoy the sweet fruit!

The County's mowing machines can't cross the metal bridge on the northeast side (For you Rush fans, think "Red Barchetta") so everything beyond is high grass again. I walked all the way around the riverbank to the western side of the powerline cut and back, wishing I'd had a machete to do some slashing. I will say that, despite brushing against a lot of vegetation, I had no ticks to remove when I changed back into street gear at the car (Permethrin works!).

The birds were out in dribs and drabs, except for Catbirds, which were everywhere, and Yellowthroats, which were almost everywhere. A couple of lazy Yellow-throated Vireos were singing, as were Wood Thrushes; a Pileated Woodpecker flew across the powerline cut; two Green Herons passed overhead; two Red-tailed Hawks "kyerrrrred" to each other as they prepared for sleep; Bluebirds kept up a constant warble; two close-up Yellow-billed Cuckoos really made the evening (I can't explain why, but my imitation of YBCU gets their attention every time). I ended up with 39 species over the three-mile, two and a half hour ramble.

No Red-headed Woodpeckers...None reported there since April. Wha??? (Not many e-Bird lists since April, either)

As the fall migration begins, I opine that Glenhurst will be a great place to go because of its unkempt and flooded aspect: it's really difficult to walk a dog or just "take a stroll" there. Unless it stops raining, the center part will remain sodden and impassable. Birds will therefore find it relatively undisturbed by people and populated by insects drawn to the abundant moisture. It ought to be good birding if one dresses the part.

Good birding,

Marc Chelemer
Tenafly
(400)

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Back to top
Date: 7/26/19 12:15 pm
From: Walter Gura <waltg19149...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Roof nesting Herring Gulls Atlantic County
Greetings to all,
For a short get away July 16-19 we stayed at Harrahs Marina third
floor in the Atrium Tower. Nice clean suite and not much of a view. The
room overlooked a second floor roof with some Herring Gulls and the bridge
to Brigantine Island. . I paid no more attention until Judy said that
there was a nest on the roof.
"No there isn't", I replied as I walked over to the window again.
Yes there was. There was a Herring Gull sitting on a nest which
still had one egg in it. I looked closer at the gulls and noticed that
there were only two age classes: juveniles and full adults. One juvenile's
wings had not yet grown to the tail which itself was only partially
developed.
The adults were aggressive towards each other with plenty of
calling and even tail grabbing. Their numbers ranged throughout the day
from 14 to 29. The juvenile numbers ranged from 5 to 14 in the evening
while begging continued through the day.
"Birds of North America" does state that Herring Gulls occasionally
nest on roofs; a fact I still find amazing. The roof was only about 5000
square feet with some air conditioners which could have provided cover.
I can't help thinking that this email would have been much more
interesting if we had stayed there in the middle of June.
Good birding,
Walt Gura
Judy Sorling
<waltg19149...>
Philadelphia

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Back to top
Date: 7/26/19 8:43 am
From: James O'Brien <jphillipobrien...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Mockingbird vs Peregrine
The watertower in Allenhurst has afforded me some great birding action this summer. Currently there is a pair of adult Osprey that use it as a feeding place for their two fledglings (one is still in the nest on the old radio tower). Most time there is also a peregrine falcon hiding up on the antenna. Ive seem them harassed by grackle, rwbb, purple martin, swifts and this over-bold mockingbird. This guy is pretty reckless but that’s what happens when everyone is trying to raid your nest. Anyway, one drawback to the video is no sound as I was pretty far away and they are very high up.
https://flic.kr/p/2gHcr3L

Regards,
James
Red Bank, NJ

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Back to top
Date: 7/25/19 12:21 pm
From: CHELEMER, MARC J <mc2496...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Halifax Magic
Jerseybirders,

I had a nice visit at Halifax Road in Mahwah yesterday from 4 to 5 PM. There were two magic moments: The first occurred as I reached the very northernmost point accessible from the Halifax side. I was, in fact, standing in the Ramapo River, looking across to the Mary Patrick Park side, where one tree must have just hosted an insect hatch. There was a Redstart, four Titmice, a family of three Wood-Pewees, a Gnatcatcher, a Chickadee, two Red-eyed Vireos and a brilliant Blue-winged Warbler male (my first sighting of this species since May, I think) all in the same tree, flitting about, flying into the open to catch something and then fly back. It was just splendid to be able to stand in the fast-flowing cool water and watch this little spectacle under the bright sun, clear blue sky, and warm-not hot--fresh air.

The second moment occurred as I was changing back into my business togs from the permethrin-coated shirt and trousers and shin-high boots that are stock-in-trade for birders walking through fields these days. While I was only partially dressed, I heard a splashing and a plashing in the river, and there, swimming strongly against the current, were 10, no 15, no...yikes! There were twenty-five Common Mergansers, all in female-type plumage, in a nice tight line heading upstream. Rich Klockner had taken a photograph of a single female with twenty-some "merglets" back in late May or early June. Well, they've grown up and are now close to adult size. Twenty-five in formation was just marvelous.

The perfect ending to a serene and peaceful hour.

Good birding,

Marc Chelemer
Tenafly
(272)

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Back to top
Date: 7/24/19 6:27 pm
From: susan richart <njt456...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Screech owl
Screech owl is calling tonight, the first one since early in the spring.

Susie R.
Tewksbury/Califon

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Back to top
Date: 7/24/19 1:07 pm
From: Mardi Dickinson <mardi1d...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Nate Koszycki Pay It Forward - BirdCallsRadio
Birders et al,

Thought many of you would be interested in my next young birder and guest Nate Koszycki in our series called “Pay It Forward™ https://bit.ly/2akUsxp

Happy Birding!

Cheers,
Mardi Dickinson

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Back to top
Date: 7/22/19 2:34 pm
From: Linda Widdop <linda...>
Subject: Re: [JERSEYBI] Shorebird movements - Gloucester
Interesting - no shorebirds visible along the Villas Bayshore this morning.

Thanks,
Linda Widdop
 Montgomery County PA/Villas NJ
I blog at:  www.phillybirdnerd.net
Flickr Photostream:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/58719725@N04/

Date: 7/22/19 11:57 am
From: Ilene Schneider <marltonbirder...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Bobolinks at Bright View?
I used to go to Bright View Farm every summer, knowing it was a reliable spot to see Bobolinks. I haven’t been there in a while, however, and don’t know if they are still breeding there, or even visiting. Also, I know they put in a gate with a touchpad for entry. The code was a very simple one to remember, but, of course, I don’t remember it. Can anyone help me out? Thank you

Ilene

Rabbi Ilene Schneider, Ed.D.
THE RABBI AVIVA COHEN MYSTERIES:CHANUKAH GUILTUNLEAVENED DEAD YOM KILLER
TALKING DIRTY - IN YIDDISH?
RECIPES BY THE BOOK: OAK TREE AUTHORS COOK
Email: <rabbi.author...>/Blog: rabbiauthor.comwhyninecandles.comFacebook: facebook.com/rabbi.author

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Back to top
Date: 7/22/19 11:46 am
From: Jeanne Boyle <jeboyle169...>
Subject: Re: [JERSEYBI] Breeding Little Stint Canada
Recently was privileged to see a Little Stint in Barrow on a wonderful NJ Audubon trip led by Brett Ewald.

Jeanne

> On Jul 22, 2019, at 2:40 PM, Fred Vir <avtrader...> wrote:
>
> Seems to have been near Barrow Alaska. Both times the pair attempted nesting the eggs were either dead/infertile or predated.
>
> This is in the area that Curlew Sandpiper bred ~ 5 decades ago (we mentioned this a few months ago here) and the few pairs winked out.
>
> Regardless a good place for YK and you to head to (bring gallons of insect repellent).
>
> tks Fred Virr AZZI
> sEC NJ
>

> t On 7/22/2019 8:21 AM, Harvey Tomlinson wrote:
>> https://www.facebook.com/groups/ABArare/
>> A bit off topic for NJ, but note worthy News!
>> I won't mention any other European birds but the area is so vast and unexplored
>> wonders never cease
>> Good Birding,
>> Harvey Tomlinson
>> Del Haven, NJ
>>

>> How to report NJ bird sightings: see <www.njbrc.com/index.php/reporting-rare-birds/>
>> or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
>> List help: <jerseybi-request...>
>> List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi
>>

> How to report NJ bird sightings: see <www.njbrc.com/index.php/reporting-rare-birds/>
> or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
> List help: <jerseybi-request...>
> List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Back to top
Date: 7/22/19 11:40 am
From: Fred Vir <avtrader...>
Seems to have been near Barrow Alaska. Both times the pair attempted
nesting the eggs were either dead/infertile or predated.

This is in the area that Curlew Sandpiper  bred ~ 5 decades ago (we
mentioned this a few months ago here) and the few pairs winked out.

Regardless a good place for YK and you to head to (bring gallons of
insect repellent).

tks Fred Virr AZZI
sEC NJ

t On 7/22/2019 8:21 AM, Harvey Tomlinson wrote:
> https://www.facebook.com/groups/ABArare/
> A bit off topic for NJ, but note worthy News!
> I won't mention any other European birds but the area is so vast and unexplored
> wonders never cease
> Good Birding,
> Harvey Tomlinson
> Del Haven, NJ
>

> How to report NJ bird sightings: see <www.njbrc.com/index.php/reporting-rare-birds/>
> or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
> List help: <jerseybi-request...>
> List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Back to top
Date: 7/22/19 11:16 am
From: ltgangi <ltgangi...>
Was at Forsythe today and it was filled with migrating shorebirds. Well worth the visit. An amazing number of dowitchers. Immature white ibis sitting atop the spoonbill tree out by dogleg. It was pretry close to mature, mostly white.  Linda Gangi, Manahawkin NJ
-------- Original message --------From: Sandra Keller <000006b65d80f212-dmarc-request...> Date: 7/22/19 11:57 AM (GMT-05:00) To: <JERSEYBI...> Subject: [JERSEYBI] Shorebird movements - Gloucester I had a couple hours before work. Not much moving, but Idid have Least and Semipalm sandpipers moving around Timbercreek Cove. And terns down at Floodgates. Caspian and Forsters.I was hoping for Glossy Ibis for Camden. And White Ibis for bothcounties! Some year. No sign of the missing Phila.Whistling ducks either.Good birding all.Sandra KellerSent from my iPad miniHow to report NJ bird sightings: see <www.njbrc.com/index.php/reporting-rare-birds/>or e-mail to <njbrcreport...> help:  <jerseybi-request...> archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Back to top

Date: 7/22/19 4:35 am
From: CHELEMER, MARC J <mc2496...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Great day at Forsythe
Jerseybirders,

Yesterday, Bill Elrick and I spent six hours doing just one loop of Forsythe's 8 mile wildlife drive. I had arrived before sunrise and "suited up" with long-sleeved trousers, a long-sleeved shirt buttoned up to the top button and the collar turned up, hat, and "mosquito-netting" head covering, all to ward off what I expected would be the hordes of green-headed flies. But after all that, surprisingly, the flies were minimal yesterday (!). Bill and I met a gentleman who had decided to walk the first 2-1/2 miles. He was clad in just a T-shirt and shorts; even he had not been made a breakfast treat by the usually-hungry insects.

That made birding all the more excellent. Shorebirds have arrived en-masse, with every exposed mudflat in both the west and east pools chock-a-block with dowitchers, yellowlegs, and peep. At Goose Marker 4, and then later at 5, Bill and I found several Pectoral Sandpipers foraging along the edges of the vegetation. We identified numerous Stilt Sandpipers, stunning in their breeding plumage with strong barring on their bellies and vivid eyestripe. Western Sandpipers have arrived in good numbers as well; when the light was right, the chestnut coloring on their scapulars was brilliant. And the movement of these birds is simply marvelous to watch, as flocks of 5 to 500 would leap into their air, wings flashing, to weave a complex, overlapping pattern among the hummocks and streams.

It took until 10:30 for us to reach the dogleg, where I spotted an somewhat ragged-looking ibis with a decidedly pink patch of skin in front of the eye, and an equally decidedly bright red eye: a non-breeding White-faced. Rounding the 90 degree turn, we saw one of the continuing White Ibis' perched in the big "Spoonbill tree," and the other two wading in the water amongst the dozens of other egrets and ibis. We searched for the Cattle Egret that had been seen within the last week, but it was not visible.

By 11:45, it was time to high-tail it for home. It had been a marvelous one-loop trip: 73 species, including 14 sp. of shorebirds and 9 sp. of long-legged waders, a fresh breeze providing cooler air compared with the rest of the state (Red Rover's thermometer read 102 while I was on the drive home), the bright pink mallow flowers in full bloom, giving the entire refuge an astounding color palette, butterflies everywhere, and the biting insects quiescent. A perfect morning in high summer.

Good birding, all,

Marc Chelemer
Tenafly
(417)

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Back to top
Date: 7/21/19 11:07 am
From: Sandra Keller <000006b65d80f212-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Phila County - Tinicum - BB Whistling Ducks
Were found this morning by a brave birder out in this heat! And a good
thing he was out! Had a lot of us braving the heat to walk to the back
end of the area..... Success! County bird!

Now why don't they hit the other side of the Delaware River!

Good birding all.

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>