NVBirds
Received From Subject
7/16/18 1:13 pm Elisabeth Ammon <ammon...> birding request from NJ visitor to Reno area
7/16/18 8:02 am Charlene Clark <0000010f33236d20-dmarc-request...> HBVP Bird List 7/9/2018 - 7/15/2018
7/15/18 6:16 pm Darlene Feener <darlenemfeener...> Discovery Park: Pahrump, Nv. (Nye County)
7/15/18 4:06 pm Brian Ison <lwrkenai...> nesting Violet-green Swallows at Incline Village
7/14/18 8:03 am Alan de Queiroz <dqalan...> Re: Band tail pigeons
7/13/18 10:22 pm Brian Adams <bra356...> Re: eBird report of catbird at Oxbow (Reno)
7/13/18 6:22 pm Will Richardson <will...> Re: Violet-green Swallows at Lake Tahoe.
7/12/18 10:02 pm Martin Meyers <martin...> eBird report of catbird at Oxbow (Reno)
7/12/18 7:22 pm Fred Petersen <0000000abacb4558-dmarc-request...> Pied-billed Grebe chicks, Rancho San Rafael (July 12th, 2018)
7/12/18 8:01 am Nancy Santos <nancylas...> Violet-green Swallows at Lake Tahoe.
7/12/18 6:53 am Ray Bruun <ray.bruun...> Curlews
7/12/18 6:17 am Judy <000000ba884925f3-dmarc-request...> Band tail pigeons
7/9/18 10:39 am Darlene Feener <darlenemfeener...> Discovery Park: Pahrump, Nv. Nye County
7/8/18 8:36 pm Bruce Van Dyke <bvd695...> Premature Rufi
7/8/18 7:29 pm Darlene Feener <darlenemfeener...> Discovery Park: Pahrump, Nv. (Clark County)
7/8/18 9:47 am John Taylor <00000102d141b353-dmarc-request...> HBVP Bird List 7/2 - 7/8/2018
7/8/18 8:26 am Angel Poe <000000ec6b52457e-dmarc-request...> White-eyed Vireo in Las Vegas
7/8/18 6:39 am Jeff Bleam <jcbleam...> Las Field Trip: Spooner Lake SP, DOU
7/5/18 11:22 am Alan de Queiroz <dqalan...> "Out of season" frosted goose at Lake Davis, CA, and lots of young birds in Sierra Valley
7/4/18 8:42 pm Bruce Van Dyke <bvd695...> Something Orange this way comes
7/4/18 2:29 pm Scott Clemson <clemzone11...> Poorwills in LV
7/1/18 7:40 pm Darlene Feener <darlenemfeener...> Discovery Park: Pahrump, Nv. (Nye County)
7/1/18 6:53 pm Bruce Van Dyke <bvd695...> full moon singers
7/1/18 10:12 am John Taylor <00000102d141b353-dmarc-request...> HBVP Bird List 6/25 - 7/1/2018
6/29/18 4:31 pm Martin Meyers <NevadaBirdRecords...> NBRC website seems to be working correctly now
6/28/18 7:59 pm Chris Nicolai <chris.a.nicolai...> Re: The Grebarium
6/28/18 7:56 pm Bruce Van Dyke <bvd695...> The Grebarium
6/27/18 11:18 am Jeff Bleam <jcbleam...> Re: Blue-winged Teal -- Carson City WWTP
6/27/18 9:20 am Nick Rosen <nicholasgibsonrosen...> Blue-winged Teal -- Carson City WWTP
6/25/18 10:55 am John Taylor <00000102d141b353-dmarc-request...> HBVP Bird List 6/18 - 6/24/2018
6/24/18 5:12 pm Darlene Feener <darlenemfeener...> Discovery Park: Pahrump, Nv. (Nye County)
6/24/18 10:53 am Jeff Bleam <jcbleam...> LAS Field Trip: Lower Tahoe Meadows
6/23/18 8:21 pm Martin Meyers <NevadaBirdRecords...> NBRC Annual Report for 2016 now available for viewing on website
6/22/18 5:29 pm Nick Rosen <nicholasgibsonrosen...> Broad-tailed Hummingbird - Perry Canyon (Washoe County)
6/19/18 8:37 pm NevadaBirdRecords <nevadabirdrecords...> NBRC website record list problem
6/19/18 6:17 pm Jeanne Tinsman <philohela17...> Brown Pelican - another sighting on Monday, 6/18
6/19/18 9:01 am Jeff Bleam <jcbleam...> Sandhill Crane, Washoe Valley
6/18/18 8:54 am Martin Meyers <martin...> About Aaron's pelican
6/18/18 7:33 am Aaron Ambos <aambos...> Brown pelican

Back to top
Date: 7/16/18 1:13 pm
From: Elisabeth Ammon <ammon...>
Subject: birding request from NJ visitor to Reno area
Hi all –

See request below from Mike (copied here), who will be visiting the Reno area end of August. Please email him if you are available to go birding with him or have additional info for him.

Message: I am visiting Reno for the first time at the end of August to attend a conference and then have planned a couple of days (August 30-31) to go birding in your area. I am an Associate Naturalist for NJ Audubon's All Things Birds Program and know the value of having a local expert to guide you, especially on you first trip into a new area. Any information you can provide me, especially on possible guides and/or best locations for that time of year would greatly be appreciated. Thank you. Mike Mandracchia

Best,

Elisabeth M. Ammon

Executive Director

Great Basin Bird Observatory

1755 E. Plumb Lane #256

Reno, NV 89502

(775) 722-9116

<ammon...> <mailto:<ammon...>

www.gbbo.org <http://www.gbbo.org/>

Back to top
Date: 7/16/18 8:02 am
From: Charlene Clark <0000010f33236d20-dmarc-request...>
Subject: HBVP Bird List 7/9/2018 - 7/15/2018
The Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve is open at 6 AM from March 1 through October 31. From June 1st through August 31, our hours will be 6 AM - 12 PM, last entry at 11:30. Please wear a hat and sunscreen and have water with you on the preserve.
The property is on the north side of Galleria Dr., just west of the Animal Shelter, between Ward Dr. and Moser Dr. Phone 702 267 4080.
The following birds were seen or heard (H) and confirmed by staff during the week July 9-July 15, 2018.

Canada Goose
Mallard
Cinnamon Teal
Redhead
Ruddy Duck
Gambel's Quail
Pied-billed Grebe
Eared Grebe
Western Grebe
Neotropic Cormorant
Double-crested Cormorant
Least Bittern
Great Blue Heron
Snowy Egret
Green Heron
White-faced Ibis
Common Gallinule
American Coot
Killdeer
Black-necked Stilt
American Avocet
Lesser Yellowlegs
Wilson's Phalarope
Red-necked Phalarope
Ring-billed Gull
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Mourning Dove
Greater Roadrunner
Black-chinned Hummingbird
Anna's Hummingbird
Costa's Hummingbird
Say's Phoebe
Tree Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Verdin
Marsh Wren
Black-tailed Gnatcatcher
Northern Mockingbird
Crissal Thrasher
Abert's Towhee
Yellow-headed Blackbird
Great-tailed Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
House Finch
46

Happy Birding

Charlene Clark
Senior Recreation Assistant
Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve
350 E. Galleria Dr,
Henderson, NV 89015
702-267-4180

Back to top
Date: 7/15/18 6:16 pm
From: Darlene Feener <darlenemfeener...>
Subject: Discovery Park: Pahrump, Nv. (Nye County)
Birding started @ Discovery Park in Pahrump, Nevada in Nye County early this morning. A total of (30) species seen on Discovery Park and (1) species seen elsewhere in Pahrump.

Discovery Park: (Pahrump, Nevada, Nye County

Snow Goose
Canada Goose
Mallard
Ruddy Duck
Gambel's Quail
Pied-billed Grebe
Black-crowned Night-Heron
Turkey Vulture
Red-shouldered Hawk
American Coot
Killdeer
Rock Pigeon (Feral pigeon)
Eurasian Collared-Dove
White-winged Dove
Mourning Dove
Black-chinned Hummingbird
Anna's Hummingbird
Black Phoebe
Vermilion Flycatcher
Western Kingbird
Common Raven
Verdin
Northern Mockingbird
European Starling
Phainopepla
Yellow-headed Blackbird
Bullock's Oriole
Great-tailed Grackle
House Finch
Lesser Goldfinch

(1) elsewhere in Pahrump:

Ladder-backed Woodpecker

Darlene Feener
<darlenemfeener...>

Back to top
Date: 7/15/18 4:06 pm
From: Brian Ison <lwrkenai...>
Subject: nesting Violet-green Swallows at Incline Village
Hi Birders,

Following up on Will’s post regarding nesting Violet-green Swallows around L. Tahoe, I am happy to report the successful fledging of one young from a nest cavity on the side of a cabin at Club Tahoe in Incline Village. I am a birder from Scottsdale, AZ, and have stayed at Club Tahoe with my family for many years around the 4th of July. I have noted VGSW the last several years at Club Tahoe, and surprised that nesting records are so few. However, it is sad to see that most, if not all, of the dead trees and snags have been cut down on the property and neighboring areas so there is a lack of suitable nesting cavities. Most of the old nuthatch and woodpecker cavities made in the side of the cabins at Club Tahoe are quickly filled in and repainted, but the one across from our unit somehow was left intact. This is the first time I witnessed VGSW nesting at L. Tahoe, and it was nice to see right outside our unit! I first spotted the cavity on Friday, July 6th, and spotted the nestling looking out from the cavity. I only detected one young, the parents both feeding it at regularly for the next several days, and the bird fledged on July 9th. See eBird report with pix.

Good Birding,

Brian Ison

Scottsdale
<lwrkenai...> <mailto:<lwrkenai...>

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47217413 <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47217413>

Back to top
Date: 7/14/18 8:03 am
From: Alan de Queiroz <dqalan...>
Subject: Re: Band tail pigeons
Around 7:30 this morning, two Band-tailed Pigeons were high in an elm on
California Ave in Reno, between Arbutus and where Mayberry starts. This is
very close to where Judy saw them, so maybe part of the same group.

Thanks to Paul and Judy for the earlier reports. I might not have looked at
those birds otherwise, and, in fact, I wouldn't even have been out this
morning if it hadn't been for Judy's sighting.

Alan de Queiroz
Reno

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 6:16 AM, Judy <
<000000ba884925f3-dmarc-request...> wrote:

> 13 at treetop preening on Delmar in west reno
>
> Thanks Paul H. Wouldn’t have looked so closely if you hadn’t reported
> seeing them
>
> Please excuse typos and brevity. Sent from my handheld device
>
> Judy

Back to top
Date: 7/13/18 10:22 pm
From: Brian Adams <bra356...>
Subject: Re: eBird report of catbird at Oxbow (Reno)
FWIW I had a Gray Catbird in my backyard (West U., Reno) for several days, about 25 years ago. Several local birders came and ticked it, and I submitted a written report on it.
Brian AdamsReno

Back to top
Date: 7/13/18 6:22 pm
From: Will Richardson <will...>
Subject: Re: Violet-green Swallows at Lake Tahoe.
Hi Nancy, et al.,
I don’t believe they’ve always bred at Tahoe, but I’ve heard assertions that they’ve been breeding in the Incline area for a decade of more. Now they can occasionally be found elsewhere along the North Shore mid-summer, and I’ve had them breed in the Glenshire neighborhood of Truckee. Orr and Moffitt, Wally Sumner, the South Tahoe Audubon Soc. checklist, all say there was no breeding as of the 1970s and early 1980s. I’m curious where on the NV side this house is, as I think solid documentation of confirmed nesting within the Tahoe basin is still lacking.
Thanks!
Will

____________________
T. Will Richardson, Ph.D.
Executive Director
Tahoe Institute for Natural Science
530.412.2792
www.tinsweb.org

Back to top
Date: 7/12/18 10:02 pm
From: Martin Meyers <martin...>
Subject: eBird report of catbird at Oxbow (Reno)

A visiting birder reported (to eBird) that he saw a Catbird at Oxbow Park in Reno today.  The report had no information about where in the park he saw the bird, and, of course, eBird reports don't provide contact information. So just a heads up if you're out and about in Reno tomorrow.
Please post to the LISTSERV if you happen to encounter the bird.
Gray Catbird is not a state review species but it's certainly a great find for Washoe County.
Martin
p.s.  The Nevada birding listserv can be read by anyone, using either "Sialia.com" or "birding.aba.org".  No memberships required, although you do have to join in order to post messages. And, of course, you can join and get the new mail immediately if you choose to do so.  The two websites mentioned above get updated very quickly when new mail comes in.  (I'm not sure which gets the post up first -- I use Sialia when I'm on the go.)

Martin MeyersTruckee, CA       Photo website: http://SierraBirdbum.com

Back to top
Date: 7/12/18 7:22 pm
From: Fred Petersen <0000000abacb4558-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Pied-billed Grebe chicks, Rancho San Rafael (July 12th, 2018)
Herman's Pond, Rancho San Rafael, Reno,
Washoe County (7/12/18)

There were 4 young chicks being fed by their
parents at Herman's Pond this morning,
the first evidence of successful nesting I've
seen there this season. The brood kept close
to the patch of cattails at the SW corner, and
that's where the nest would have been--
out-of-sight among the cattails.

--Fred Petersen, Reno

Back to top
Date: 7/12/18 8:01 am
From: Nancy Santos <nancylas...>
Subject: Violet-green Swallows at Lake Tahoe.
I recently saw a video of a violet-green swallow visiting a house on the NV side of Lake Tahoe. Apparently they have been there. What can anyone tell me about these birds nesting at the lake?

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 7/12/18 6:53 am
From: Ray Bruun <ray.bruun...>
Subject: Curlews
Sorry for the late post. Two evenings ago, 11 Long-billed Curlews-flying in
formation-passed overhead as I was walking the dog. They were calling and
at one point turned around and headed for Swan Lake (about a mile from our
house).

Ray Bruun

Reno

Back to top

Date: 7/9/18 10:39 am
From: Darlene Feener <darlenemfeener...>
The birding report for Sunday July 8, 2018 and submitted here was for Nye County Discovery Park. I noticed on the copy of this report that my report was listed as Clark County. Not sure how that happened but the report was for Nye County. There is a Discovery Park in Clark County but that is not where I birded. Please correct that report for Sunday July 8, 2018 for Discovery Park in Nye County.

Darlene Feener
<darlenemfeener...>

Back to top
Date: 7/8/18 8:36 pm
From: Bruce Van Dyke <bvd695...>
Subject: Premature Rufi
my report last week of incoming rufous hummers could well be a bit early. since wednesday the 4th, when i spied the one female, there have been exactly zero seen at the feeders thursday through sunday. so maybe she was an outlier, or an advance scout. but the pulse of rufi now seems to be following its normal timetable. which would be.....july 13th through 20th?

i'm out in the hills of spanish springs, north of reno and sparks.

Back to top
Date: 7/8/18 7:29 pm
From: Darlene Feener <darlenemfeener...>
Subject: Discovery Park: Pahrump, Nv. (Clark County)
A total of 31 species seen this morning. (29) @ Discovery Park and (2) other species @ other areas.

Discovery Park:

Snow Goose
Canada Goose
Mallard
Ruddy Duck
Pied-billed Grebe
Black-crowned Night-Heron
Red-shouldered Hawk
American Coot
Killdeer
Rock Pigeon (Feral)
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Mourning Dove
Anna's Hummingbird
Ladder-backed Woodpecker
Black Phoebe
Say's Phoebe
Vermilion Flycatcher
Western Kingbird
Common Raven
Verdin
Bewick's Wren
Northern Mockingbird
Phainopepla
Western Tanager
Yellow-headed Blackbird
Great-tailed Grackle
House Finch
Lesser Goldfinch
House Sparrow

Other areas of Pahrump:

Turkey Vulture
Red-tailed Hawk

Darlene Feener
<darlenemfeener...>

Back to top
Date: 7/8/18 9:47 am
From: John Taylor <00000102d141b353-dmarc-request...>
Subject: HBVP Bird List 7/2 - 7/8/2018
The Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve is open at 6 AM from March 1 through October 31. From June 1st through August 31, our hours will be 6 AM - 12 PM, last entry at 11:30. Please wear a hat and sunscreen and have water with you on the preserve.
The property is on the north side of Galleria Dr., just west of the Animal Shelter, between Ward Dr. and Moser Dr. Phone 702 267 4080.
The following birds were seen or heard (H) and confirmed by staff during the week July 2 through July 8, 2018:

Canada Goose
Mallard
Cinnamon Teal
Redhead
Ruddy Duck
Gambel's Quail
Pied-billed Grebe
Eared Grebe
Western Grebe
Neotropic Cormorant
Double-crested Cormorant
Least Bittern
Great Blue Heron
Green Heron
Black-crowned Night-Heron
White-faced Ibis
Common Gallinule
American Coot
Killdeer
Black-necked Stilt
American Avocet
Lesser Yellowlegs
Least Sandpiper
Wilson's Phalarope
Red-necked Phalarope
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Mourning Dove
Greater Roadrunner
Costa's Hummingbird
Black Phoebe
Say's Phoebe
Western Kingbird
Warbling Vireo
Common Raven
Tree Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Verdin
Marsh Wren
Black-tailed Gnatcatcher
Northern Mockingbird
Crissal Thrasher
Abert's Towhee
Yellow-headed Blackbird
Great-tailed Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
House Finch
47
Happy Birding

John Taylor
Lead Recreation Assistant
Henderson Bird Preserve
350 E Galleria Drive
Henderson, NV 89015
(702) 267-4180

Back to top
Date: 7/8/18 8:26 am
From: Angel Poe <000000ec6b52457e-dmarc-request...>
Subject: White-eyed Vireo in Las Vegas
The white-eyed vireo continues at Floyd Lamb Park/Tule Springs in Las Vegas. Several birders saw and photographed the bird this morning. We saw it in the brush and trees in the drainage by the group picnic area. Thanks to Brandon Miller for notifying us yesterday!

Happy birding!

Angel

Back to top
Date: 7/8/18 6:39 am
From: Jeff Bleam <jcbleam...>
Subject: Las Field Trip: Spooner Lake SP, DOU
It was a cloudy morning, which kept the temperature down but brought out
the mosquito. We saw and heard many SONG SPARROWS, a couple of CHIPPING
SPARROWS, an OSPREY flew to the north side of the lake, and many WARBLING
VIREOs. On the south end of the lake we saw a pair of MACGILLIVRAY'S
WARBLERs carrying food, heard EVENING GROSBEAKs, and WOOD PEWEE. We didn't
find CASSIN'S VIREO until we reached the east side and the Vireos and
MOUNTAIN CHICKADEE where in an uproar. The reason for all the raucous was
a COOPERS HAWK. We found a RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER and heard a HERMIT
THRUSH singing. The only water fowl was CANADA GEESE, a couple of
MALLARDS, and a PIED-BILLED GREBE. We ended the walk with 40 species. Not
bad for a woodland habitat.

Photostream: https://www.flickr.com/photos/byjcb/
SLSP album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/byjcb/albums/72157648950546256

ebird cklist: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47048818

Jeff Bleam
Mt Rose Foothills, NV
byjcbphoto.com

Back to top
Date: 7/5/18 11:22 am
From: Alan de Queiroz <dqalan...>
Subject: "Out of season" frosted goose at Lake Davis, CA, and lots of young birds in Sierra Valley
Yesterday morning, at Lake Davis in Plumas County, CA, there was a Canada
Goose with white splotches on its neck. As a lot of people know, these
"frosted" Canadas are pretty common in Reno in the non-breeding season, but
I don't remember ever seeing one anywhere near Reno in the Summer, so
thought it was worth reporting (but should point out that Sibley says they
can occur in all populations). It was in a group of about ten "normal"
Canadas.

On the way home, I birded along Marble Hot Springs Rd in Sierra Valley
(sort of an "honorary" birding spot for Nevada) and that place was hopping
with young birds, especially blackbirds, swallows, and sparrows. There was
one juvenile Yellow-headed Blackbird that had an orangish head with a big
white tuft on top, looking like some kind of failed genetic experiment. I
also saw a young bull charge at a pair of Sandhill Cranes and their small,
rust-colored chick, creating the bizarre sight of one of the parent cranes
then running madly at the bull. And on a metal bridge housing a big colony
of Cliff Swallows, I got out and watched both juvenile and adult birds
zooming by just feet away and below eye level, giving good views of the
streaky back pattern of the young ones. (The swallows didn't seem too
bothered by me, maybe because they're used to tractors and farm trucks
going over that bridge.)

Also saw a couple of American Bitterns, one flushing from a roadside ditch,
and the other doing its sky-pointing pose in the reeds.

Alan de Queiroz
Reno

Back to top
Date: 7/4/18 8:42 pm
From: Bruce Van Dyke <bvd695...>
Subject: Something Orange this way comes
it's now official. the first envoy of the incoming Orange Horde was spotted and confirmed at one of my feeders tonight. earliest ever FOS for a rufous hummer here at my house in Spanish Springs. previous early arrival was 7-13......and here it is, the 4th, and a glowing dot femme has now checked in. in expectation of more bitchy rufi, i've got 6 feeders up, in hopes that the resident black chins can still get their drink on, since they're actually out here making babies, which always gets them special props with the management.

Back to top
Date: 7/4/18 2:29 pm
From: Scott Clemson <clemzone11...>
Subject: Poorwills in LV
Does anyone have any beta re Poorwills nesting in the LV area? ( not much
luck finding info online) Yesterday while running through some remaining
desert adjacent to Centennial High School in the NW, I flushed what
appeared to be 3 Poorwills, ( small with rounded wings, no white wing
marks) and given their apparently "normal" tendency toward being solitary,
it seemed possible that these might have been a fledging family?

Thanks for any info.

--
9R's - RESPECT, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Repair, Repurpose, Replace, Refuse,
RETHINK !

G. Scott Clemson
Former teacher of Latin, Biology, Physical Science, Group Dynamics, Art,
Woodshop, Enviromaniacs
10151 Dorrell Ln unit 3074
Las Vegas, NV 89166

Back to top
Date: 7/1/18 7:40 pm
From: Darlene Feener <darlenemfeener...>
The following species of birds were seen at Discovery Park this morning. (29) species

A total of 32 species seen today with 29 at Discovery Park and 3 additional species in other places of Pahrump.

Snow Goose
Canada Goose
Mallard
Ruddy Duck
Gambel's Quail
Pied-billed Grebe
Cooper's Hawk
Red-shouldered Hawk
American Coot
Rock Pigeon (Feral)
Eurasian Collard Dove
Mourning Dove
Greater Roadrunner
Anna's Hummingbird
American Kestrel
Say's Phoebe
Vermilion Flycatcher
Western Kingbird
Common Raven
Verdin
Bewick's Wren
Northern Mockingbird
Phainopepla
Wilson's Warbler
Yellow headed Blackbird
Great-tailed Grackle
House Finch
Lesser Goldfinch
House Sparrow

Species seen in other areas of Pahrump: (3)

Turkey Vulture
Red-tailed Hawk
Barn Owl

Darlene Feener

<darlenemfeener...>

Back to top
Date: 7/1/18 6:53 pm
From: Bruce Van Dyke <bvd695...>
Subject: full moon singers
this past wednesday night during the full moon, i was treated to one heckuva of a singing performance by our local mockingbird. there is a nice family unit of mockers here in the hills of spanish springs....two adults and two new youngsters....so it was no surprise that i heard their lengthy concert on recent full moon nights. and this wasn't some 1 or 2 hour show. nope. this was a bona fide all nighter. he started at 10.....i checked back at midnight....still singing.....got up at 3.....yep, still there.....and then at dawn.....still goin. great stamina. great energy. a fabulous show. so i just want to give him his due. or her. i have no idea which mocker it was. hell, it might have been both mom and dad. but whatever the lineup, it was quite endearing, enchanting, and marvelous.

as far as i know, the only other bird in the Basin that will go for it on full moons is the sage thrasher. back in the day when i owned Rancho Recluso, a lovely spot 75 miles northwest of gerlach (yes, it's as remote as it sounds), there would be many a full moon night when the sage thrashers out there would be killin it. and i mean goin for it. beautiful songs of warbling complexity, non stop. just as nice and wondrous as the mockingbirds of this past week. the kind of nights where you stay up a little later, just to hear the coyotes and the thrashers fill up the night.

it's also said that the yellow breasted chat will crank it up and sing during full moon. i don't know about that. but i did have a remarkable experience with chat singing last year. we were camped in a remote valley in elko county, on the bruneau river. i was sleeping outside on a cot, and damn if the chats out there didn't start singing at the very first hint of sunrise. and i mean at 430. so it really wasn't a moon inspired thing; it seemed much more just a super early inspiration to get into gear. and by 5 am, it was LOUD. chats were CHATTING. a truly hilarious and fab scene, with what i would guess was 30 to 50 chats in that valley (possibly many more), all down in their willow hideouts, all going for it in the time before sunrise. pretty doggone neat. so many pops and whistles and whirrs....it was cuckoo!

in all of these episodes, one can't help but wonder, as one listens.....what can these creatures be thinking? or feeling? or experiencing? what is their message? their purpose? and all i can tell you is that every time i've been a part of it, i've found it to be infectiously enjoyable. i mean, fercrissake, the mockingbird last week had me giggling, he was riffing so hard. he was singing like he meant it; singing like he HAD to sing. or else.....what?

Back to top
Date: 7/1/18 10:12 am
From: John Taylor <00000102d141b353-dmarc-request...>
Subject: HBVP Bird List 6/25 - 7/1/2018
The Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve is open at 6 AM from March 1 through October 31. From June 1st through August 31, our hours will be 6 AM - 12 PM, last entry at 11:30. Please wear a hat and sunscreen and have water with you on the preserve.
The property is on the north side of Galleria Dr., just west of the Animal Shelter, between Ward Dr. and Moser Dr. Phone 702 267 4080.
The following birds were seen or heard (H) and confirmed by staff during the week June 25 through July 1, 2018:

Canada Goose
Mallard
Cinnamon Teal
Northern Shoveler
Redhead
Ruddy Duck
Gambel's Quail
Pied-billed Grebe
Eared Grebe
Western Grebe
Neotropic Cormorant
Double-crested Cormorant
Least Bittern
Great Blue Heron
Green Heron
Black-crowned Night-Heron
White-faced Ibis
Turley Vulture
Common Gallinule
American Coot
Killdeer
Black-necked Stilt
American Avocet
Wilson's Phalarope
Ring-billed Gull
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Mourning Dove
Greater Roadrunner
Costa's Hummingbird
American Kestrel
Black Phoebe
Say's Phoebe
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Bank Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Verdin
Marsh Wren
Black-tailed Gnatcatcher
Crissal Thrasher
Abert's Towhee
Yellow-headed Blackbird
Great-tailed Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
House Finch
44
Happy Birding

John Taylor
Lead Recreation Assistant
Henderson Bird Preserve
350 E Galleria Drive
Henderson, NV 89015
(702) 267-4180

Back to top
Date: 6/29/18 4:31 pm
From: Martin Meyers <NevadaBirdRecords...>
Subject: NBRC website seems to be working correctly now
I believe everything is now fixed with the NBRC website.  (I am holding
my breath for awhile, though.)  The part that was not working, the
display of all NBRC records (sorted in any of four ways) IS working as
of this moment.  Thanks to Dana and Martin (a different Martin), and
anyone else who worked on it for getting this stuff going again.

Please let me know if you experience any problems with this. If you get
a message on selecting any menu option involved with the display of all
NBRC records (i.e., selecting it from the main webpage menu, or
selecting some different order within one of the display pages), try
going back to the page that was working and RELOAD it.  Several changes
had to be made to get this all working, and sometimes when you click on
a link you have brought up before, you get a cached version which would
still have the problems in it.  Reloading that page gets you the new
version and should allow you to then click away on any of the links.

Many of the photos that are linked to the displays of the NBRC records
got lost (from the web location) when the problem started some time
ago.  I believe I have reloaded all of them from my off-line copy.  I
have tested many of them, but there are hundreds -- I haven't tested
them all.   If you happen to click on one of the photo links and it
isn't found, please let me know that, too.

Martin

Martin Meyers
Secretary, Nevada Bird Records Committee (NBRC)
Website: https://www.gbbo.org/nbrc
Email: NevadaBirdRecords ***AT SIGN*** gbbo *** DOT *** org

Back to top
Date: 6/28/18 7:59 pm
From: Chris Nicolai <chris.a.nicolai...>
Subject: Re: The Grebarium
When we flew waterfowl survey in May, there was well over a thousand large
Grebe nests on the extreme upstream end of rye patch. As you mention,
flooded tamarisk or Willow. Nearest neighbor distances was maybe a meter
in many areas.

On Thu, Jun 28, 2018, 8:56 PM Bruce Van Dyke <bvd695...> wrote:

> i'm guessing that most of us aren't familiar with Pitt Taylor Reservoir,
> which is a side lake to Rye Patch. I journeyed there in trailer recently,
> to take advantage of what I was betting would be an empty campground, one
> of only two official campgrounds at Rye Patch (the other being the big one
> below the dam). i found it to be.....a real nice place!
>
> it's not a pond, but a small lake. very pleasant. some real nice free
> camping spots on bluffs above the shoreline. just perfect for a nevada
> trailer traveler looking for calm beauty in the desert. it's west of the
> Humboldt range, so the late afternoon light on those impressive hills is
> quite the spectacle. yes, you can hear the trucks on 80 in the still of
> the night, but that's ok. you hear lots of trains, too, which is just
> fine.
>
> and for birds, it's fantastic for one species....actually two....western
> and clark's grebes. there are hundreds out there, probably thousands. it
> appears to be a much nicer place to breed than Pyramid, because there is
> vegetation on the shoreline at Pitt Taylor, in the form of lots of young
> tamarisk, making for much more nesting cover than Pyramid. the place, as a
> result, is nothing less than a superb Grebarium. so if you like
> westerns/clark's (and it appears to be a 50-50 split), you might drop by
> sometime and enjoy. lots of downy young grebes right now, being shown the
> ropes by mom and dad.
>
> other birds are there.....avocets, black crowns, great blue herons,
> loggerhead shrikes, caspian and forster's terns. not one duck. but really,
> it's all about the grebes, on display in a setting that is much more
> intimate than Pyramid.
>
> and the lizards are pretty cool, too. quality lizards. i saw desert
> spiny, zebra-tailed, western whiptails, and leopards. abundant reptiles.
> and the carp.....monsters. feeding in groups on the surface in the
> morning.
>
> there are some people. there's a boat launch. from Pitt Taylor, it's an
> easy escape into the main bay of Rye Patch itself, if you've got the boat
> to do it. it should also be noted that Pitt Taylor would be a fab place to
> kayak/canoe.
>
> easily found by taking exit 138 Humboldt off 80. then, just follow the
> signs. it's about 8 miles from the interstate on a good gravel road. no
> sweat, no drama. Grebe on!

Back to top

Date: 6/27/18 11:18 am
From: Jeff Bleam <jcbleam...>
Subject: Re: Blue-winged Teal -- Carson City WWTP
I heard the Am Bittern this morning around 5:50 at the same location east
of the Damonte Ranch Park on Steamboat Pkwy. Recordings on ebird.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46831977

Jeff Bleam
Mt Rose Foothills, NV
byjcbphoto.com

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 9:20 AM, Nick Rosen <nicholasgibsonrosen...>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I found a male Blue-winged Teal today (6/27) at the wetlands known on eBird
> as Carson City WWTP. He was at the end of the left side trail from Airport
> Rd. I know there was a male present in May, but Emma and I haven't being
> seeing one all month, so it's interesting for one to show up now.
> Otherwise, there were all of the expected species present. Checklist is
> here: (where you can also see my terrible "digi-binned" picture of the teal
>
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46829623
>
> I've done some other local birding (Washoe Lake, Chimney Beach, Carson
> River Park), none of which has produced anything even remotely unexpected.
> This is a bit of a belated report, but I did hear an American Bittern at
> Damonte Ranch Wetlands near the playground on the northwest side on 6/23. I
> know some people have seen this on eBird, but I figured I might as well
> mention it.
>
> Best,
> Nick Rosen
> Northfield MN/Carson City NV

Back to top

Date: 6/25/18 10:55 am
From: John Taylor <00000102d141b353-dmarc-request...>
Subject: HBVP Bird List 6/18 - 6/24/2018
The Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve is open at 6 AM from March 1 through October 31. From June 1st through August 31, our hours will be 6 AM - 12 PM, last entry at 11:30. Please wear a hat and sunscreen and have water with you on the preserve.
The property is on the north side of Galleria Dr., just west of the Animal Shelter, between Ward Dr. and Moser Dr. Phone 702 267 4080.
The following birds were seen or heard (H) and confirmed by staff during the week June 4 through June 10, 2018:

Canada Goose
Gadwall
Mallard
Cinnamon Teal
Northern Shoveler
Redhead
Ring-necked Duck
Ruddy Duck
Gambel's Quail
Pied-billed Grebe
Eared Grebe
Western Grebe
Neotropic Cormorant
Double-crested Cormorant
Least Bittern
Great Blue Heron
Snowy Egret
Green Heron
Black-crowned Night-Heron
White-faced Ibis
Common Gallinule
American Coot
Killdeer
Black-necked Stilt
American Avocet
Spotted Sandpiper
Wilson's Snipe
Wilson's Phalarope
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Mourning Dove
Greater Roadrunner
Costa's Hummingbird
American Kestrel
Peregrine Falcon
Black Phoebe
Say's Phoebe
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Verdin
Marsh Wren
Black-tailed Gnatcatcher
Northern Mockingbird
Crissal Thrasher
Common Yellowthroat
Abert's Towhee
Yellow-headed Blackbird
Great-tailed Grackle
House Finch
47
Happy Birding

John Taylor
Lead Recreation Assistant
Henderson Bird Preserve
350 E Galleria Drive
Henderson, NV 89015
(702) 267-4180

Back to top
Date: 6/24/18 5:12 pm
From: Darlene Feener <darlenemfeener...>
This morning @ Discovery Park there were (35) species seen and one species heard. One species seen at another area in Pahrump. A total of (37) species seen.
Snow Goose
Canada Goose
Mallard
Ruddy Duck
Gambel's Quail
Pied-billed Grebe
Turkey Vulture
Red-shouldered Hawk
American Coot
Black-necked Stilt
American Avocet
Killdeer
Rock Pigeon
Eurasian Collared-Dove
White-winged Dove
Mourning Dove
Black-chinned Hummingbird
Anna's Hummingbird
Costa's Hummingbird
American Kestrel
Peregrine Falcon
Black Phoebe
Say's Phoebe
Vermilion Flycatcher
Western Kingbird
Common Raven
Verdin
Bewick's Wren
American Robin
Northern Mockingbird
Phainopepla
Yellow-headed Blackbird
Great-tailed Grackle
House Finch
Lesser Goldfinch
House Sparrow

(1) species @ another area in Pahrump:

Cooper's Hawk

<darlenemfeener...>

Back to top
Date: 6/24/18 10:53 am
From: Jeff Bleam <jcbleam...>
Subject: LAS Field Trip: Lower Tahoe Meadows
There were 12 birders out on the walk around Lower Tahoe Meadows. The
first bird was a MOUNTAIN QUAIL calling from the north side of Mt Rose
Highway and we heard another in the canyon at the east end of the meadow.
We saw a HERMIT THRUSH singing, a LINCOLN'S SPARROW carrying food, and we
followed a male WILLIAMSON'S SAPSUCKER around to get a few photos. We
ended the walk with 29 species and a couple of us went to the Interpretive
Loop where we found a pair of Willianson's Sapsuckers flying around the
south side of the trail carrying food. Nice day.

Photostream: https://www.flickr.com/photos/byjcb/
TM Album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/byjcb/albums/72157648710347710

ebird cklst: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46760980

Jeff Bleam
Mt Rose Foothills, NV
byjcbphoto.com

Back to top
Date: 6/23/18 8:21 pm
From: Martin Meyers <NevadaBirdRecords...>
Subject: NBRC Annual Report for 2016 now available for viewing on website
I have just uploaded the PDF of the NBRC Annual Report for 2016, which
is published in Western Field Ornithologists (WFO) Western Birds
Journal.  The hard copy of the journal (Vol. 49, No. 2, 2018) has been
mailed to all WFO members. (Mine came in today.)

To view the report, go to the NBRC website (address below), click on
<NBRC: NBRC Annual Reports> and select <NBRC Annual Report 2016>.

Of course, you can also look at all previous NBRC Annual Reports from
this location.

*After admiring the beautiful cover photo, be sure to go to the next
page to read the photo credits!!*

NOTE: The <View NBRC Records> menu option is still not working. The NBRC
Records web pages are stored on a different location at the GBBO
website, and, alas, that different location seems to have gotten
deleted. They are working on it and I'll let you know as soon as those
pages are available.

Date: 6/22/18 5:29 pm
From: Nick Rosen <nicholasgibsonrosen...>
Subject: Broad-tailed Hummingbird - Perry Canyon (Washoe County)
Hello all,

Today I was working out at Perry Canyon, off of Pyramid Highway between
Reno and Pyramid Lake, when I found a male Broad-tailed Hummingbird. It
appeared to be drinking some water from the creek around a riparian area,
which probably isn't great for it since that creek is rather acidic. There
were a few other moderately interesting dry canyon birds present out there
as well, including Plumbeous Vireo, Juniper Titmouse, Canyon Wren, lots of
various sparrows, and loads of Rock Wrens. All of the species can be seen
on the eBird checklist.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46727167

I say it in the checklist comments, but I'll say it again here: the road
into Perry Canyon is very difficult. I was not driving, one of my
colleagues who has driven there before was. Do not even attempt to drive
out there without a four-wheel drive and high clearance; I would not ever
go there if I was not working.

Otherwise, I've been doing some other local birding. None of it has been
particularly good. There are quite a few breeding species at the south end
of Washoe Lake, mainly ducks (including Green-winged Teal, the only one I
hadn't seen there before). I had a couple of fluffy Black-necked Stilt
chicks as well. At Bellevue Ave I've had a few terns (Forster's and
Caspian), but not much else of interest. A few years ago Great-tailed
Grackle would have been notable, but not so much now.

Anyone who wants directions anywhere feel free to email me.

Date: 6/19/18 8:37 pm
From: NevadaBirdRecords <nevadabirdrecords...>
Subject: NBRC website record list problem

The record lists that should be accessible from the NBRC website are not available at this time.  I'm pretty sure this problem is unrelated to the problem we had a couple of months ago, but I really have no idea what's going on.  The GBBO technical staff is trying to get it solved, and I've been told it should be solved soon.
I'll let you know as soon as it is fixed.
Meanwhile, all other links on the website are functioning as intended.
Martin

Martin MeyersSecretaryNevada Bird Records CommitteeWebsite: http://gbbo.org/nbrc

Back to top
Date: 6/19/18 6:17 pm
From: Jeanne Tinsman <philohela17...>
Subject: Brown Pelican - another sighting on Monday, 6/18
Greetings, all:

My husband just told me that he saw a Brown Pelican yesterday (the same one
as observed by Aaron Ambos?). He was travelling north on US. 95, and saw
it just north of the Cold Creek turnoff in Clark County. The time of
observation was just before 8:00 a.m.

The bird was also heading north.

Jeanne

*********************************
Jeanne R. Tinsman
Las Vegas, Nevada
<philohela17...>

Back to top
Date: 6/19/18 9:01 am
From: Jeff Bleam <jcbleam...>
Subject: Sandhill Crane, Washoe Valley
A pair with a juvenile along 580 about 1 mile south of Davis Creek Exit on
the west side Marsh area.

Jeff Bleam
Mt. Rose Foothills, NV
byjcbphoto.com

Back to top
Date: 6/18/18 8:54 am
From: Martin Meyers <martin...>
Subject: About Aaron's pelican

Are you folks down in Vegas getting winds from the tropical storm (Bud) down south? If so. It would be a good time to check Lake Mojave and Lake Mead for frigatebirds, boobies, storm-petrels, etc.  It looked to me like the storm was heading east into eastern AZ and NM, but the pelican sighting is interesting.
Martin

Date: 6/18/18 7:33 am
From: Aaron Ambos <aambos...>
Subject: Brown pelican
I just observed a brown pelican flyby from the 10th floor of the Molasky Building at I-15 and US 95, Las Vegas, NV. It was heading east, so maybe shooting for Lake Mead. What a great office bird!
Aaron Ambos

Sent from my iPhone

Join us on Facebook!