NVBirds
Received From Subject
4/24/18 7:00 pm Darlene Feener <darlenemfeener...> Townsend's Warbler
4/23/18 6:20 pm Tom Dozet <tdozet...> Bald Eagle Lemmon Valley Reno
4/23/18 6:07 pm Tom Dozet <tdozet...> Bald Eagle Lemmon Valley
4/23/18 5:40 pm Rick/Meg Andrews <andrews2727...> Humboldt WMA, Pershing County
4/23/18 9:24 am Craig D Dodson <craigd...> Greater White-fronted Geese in Sierra Valley CA
4/22/18 7:31 pm Rose Strickland <rosenreno...> Franklin's Gull in Fallon
4/22/18 6:48 pm Darlene Feener <darlenemfeener...> Discovery Park: Pahrump, Nv (and other areas of Pahrump in Nye County.
4/22/18 12:00 pm John Taylor <00000102d141b353-dmarc-request...> HBVP Bird List 4/16 - 4/22 2018
4/22/18 11:29 am Martin Meyers <Martin...> Clarification on odd-looking hawk I mentioned in yesterday's Sierra Valley post
4/21/18 10:52 pm Martin Meyers <Martin...> Very nice day in Sierra Valley (slightly out of area)
4/21/18 4:44 pm Richard And Carolyn titus <titusrica...> Floyd Lamb Park at Tule Springs, Clark County, April 21, 2018
4/21/18 12:55 pm Rick/Meg Andrews <andrews2727...> Tricolored Blackbirds, Carson Valley
4/21/18 8:18 am Lora E Myles <lorajean...> Long-tailed DUck
4/21/18 7:31 am Jeff Bleam <jcbleam...> Washoe Valley, WAS
4/20/18 9:01 pm Fred Petersen <0000000abacb4558-dmarc-request...> White-faced Ibis, Idlewild (April 20th, 2018)
4/18/18 4:35 pm Jane Burnham <janefrancesburnham...> Swan Lake
4/15/18 5:37 pm Darlene Feener <darlenemfeener...> Discovery Park: Pahrump, Nv. (Nye County)
4/15/18 12:55 pm Jeff Bleam <jcbleam...> LAS Field Trip con't
4/15/18 12:52 pm Jeff Bleam <jcbleam...> LAS Field Trip: Damonte Ranch Wetlands, SE Reno
4/15/18 11:35 am John Taylor <00000102d141b353-dmarc-request...> HBVP Bird List 4/9 - 4/15 2018
4/14/18 5:04 pm Neil McDonal <nmmai7...> Summer residents returning?
4/14/18 4:44 pm Alan Wallace <wallacealan...> Anna's and Black-chinned Humminbirds, west Reno
4/11/18 10:14 pm Ben Zyla <theloraxx365...> Primm Purple Finch
4/11/18 7:00 pm Clayton Peoples <claypeoples...> Recent Reno Sightings...and Question RE: Painted Bunting
4/10/18 9:37 pm Martin Meyers <Martin...> Late Iceland (thayeri) Gull at Sparks Marina
4/9/18 6:28 pm Scott Rudolph <0000003f8b216fc4-dmarc-request...> Red Tailed Hawk NEST over Greater Nevada Field
4/9/18 11:14 am Brian Adams <bra356...> Possible Swainson's Hawk, Reno
4/9/18 8:36 am John Taylor <00000102d141b353-dmarc-request...> HBVP Bird List 4/2 - 4/8 2018
4/8/18 7:47 pm Darlene Feener <darlenemfeener...> Discovery Park: Pahrump, Nv. (Nye County)
4/8/18 5:41 pm Ben Zyla <theloraxx365...> Tennessee Warbler at Sunset Park, Clark County
4/8/18 5:29 pm Martin Meyers <Martin...> Pleasant walk at Oxbow Park (Reno)
4/8/18 2:40 pm Ben Zyla <Theloraxx365...> Lawrence's Goldfinch in Clark County
4/7/18 8:03 pm Rose Strickland <rosenreno...> Vaux's Swifts
4/5/18 4:08 pm Jeff Bleam <jcbleam...> Reno Birds
4/3/18 11:10 am Jennifer Ballard <ballard...> Report Tagged/Banded Pelican Sightings
4/2/18 7:16 pm Dennis Serdehely <birders...> Swainson's Hawk in Reno
4/1/18 12:59 pm John Taylor <00000102d141b353-dmarc-request...> HBVP Bird List 3/26 - 4/1 2018
3/31/18 10:10 am tim almond <tralmond702...> Re: Painted bunting continues in Jean
3/31/18 8:37 am Jeff Bleam <jcbleam...> LAS Field Trip: Whites Creek Canyon, SW Reno
3/31/18 4:25 am Darlene Feener <darlenemfeener...> Discovery Park/Pahhrump, Nv. (Nye County)
3/30/18 7:28 pm Bruce Van Dyke <bvd695...> fish lake valley/weber
3/30/18 6:53 pm JUDY PHOENIX <000000ba884925f3-dmarc-request...> Re: Nesting Owls - Youtube Stars on Webcam | Buckaroo News
3/30/18 11:46 am David Syzdek <dsyzdek...> Painted bunting continues in Jean
3/30/18 9:50 am Rose Strickland <rosenreno...> Nesting Owls - Youtube Stars on Webcam | Buckaroo News
3/29/18 6:54 pm Ben Zyla <theloraxx365...> Painted Bunting Continues at Jean Lawn Patch
3/28/18 7:23 pm Patrick Gaffey <pjgaffey...> Re: Adult Male PAINTED BUNTING at Jean Lawn Patch, Clark County
3/28/18 6:39 pm Ben Zyla <Theloraxx365...> Adult Male PAINTED BUNTING at Jean Lawn Patch, Clark County
3/27/18 11:22 pm Rob Lowry <00000002625e15f9-dmarc-request...> Eastern Phoebe-Carson River Park/Silver Saddle Ranch, Carson CIty
3/27/18 11:05 pm Brian Adams <bra356...> N. Mockingbirds, Old NW Reno
3/27/18 7:46 pm Carl Lundblad <carl.lundblad...> YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER in Wells (Elko Co.)
3/27/18 4:56 pm Rick/Meg Andrews <andrews2727...> Churchill County birding
3/26/18 10:13 am Darlene Feener <darlenemfeener...> Discovery Park: Pahrump, Nv. (Nye County)
3/26/18 10:10 am nevadabird <nevadabird...> Re: Microphone

Back to top
Date: 4/24/18 7:00 pm
From: Darlene Feener <darlenemfeener...>
Subject: Townsend's Warbler
This morning @ Point of Rocks at Ash-Meadows Wildlife Refuge in Nye Count was one Townsend's Warbler. I saw him at the top of a coniferous tree feeding silently. This location is just past the spring called "King's Pool" which is on the left side of the boardwalk as you walk East along the boardwalk. The Townsend's Warbler was on the right side of the boardwalk in this area. Other Warbler's were a Wilson's Warbler and a Lucy's Warbler.

Crystal Reservoir had Black-necked Stilt, White-face Ibis, Western and Least Sandpiper's. A couple of Snowy Plover's and a Forster's Tern. An Osprey is active over Crystal Reservoir.

Darlene

Back to top
Date: 4/23/18 6:20 pm
From: Tom Dozet <tdozet...>
Subject: Bald Eagle Lemmon Valley Reno
An adult Bald Eagle has been sitting on a power pole almost every day for the past couple of weeks at Lemmon Drive and Arkansas for several hours a day. Also around are lots of birds: Eared Grebes, avocets, stilts, numerous duck species, Yellow headed Blackbirds, and a Bewick's Wren, among other common species for this time and place

Thomas Dozet
Reno,

Back to top
Date: 4/23/18 6:07 pm
From: Tom Dozet <tdozet...>
Subject: Bald Eagle Lemmon Valley

Date: 4/23/18 5:40 pm
From: Rick/Meg Andrews <andrews2727...>
Subject: Humboldt WMA, Pershing County
A year ago this week, I went out to the Humboldt WMA (near Toulon, outside of Lovelock) in the hope of picking up some new county birds. Water was being released into the desert at that time, but the water areas were not accessible by car. I only found 4 species at that time: 1 Northern Harrier, 2 Loggerhead Shrikes, 2 Common Ravens, and 1 Western Meadowlark.

I made a note on my calendar to check the area again, so I drove out this morning. What a difference a year makes! I pretty much just scoped from 3 spots (the observation tower and both boat ramps) and tried to count all of the birds I could see, but the water (and the birds) went far beyond the limits of my spotting scope. Here is an fairly close count of the birds I saw:

Cinnamon Teal 34
Northern Shoveler 46
Gadwall 8
American Wigeon 18
Mallard 22
Northern Pintail 58
Green-winged Teal 120
dabbling duck sp. 800 At one time a large, distant flock of ducks rose up but they were too far away to ID.
Western/Clark's Grebe 8 pretty distant, and all sleeping. I think they were WEGR
Double-crested Cormorant 1
American White Pelican 350 probably more--densely packed. Most at the army drain boat ramp, having a feeding frenzy
Great Blue Heron 3
Great Egret 52 actual count, one by one. I have never seen so many egrets so densely packed--they were feeding around the edges of the pelican flock
Snowy Egret 2
Black-crowned Night-Heron 6
White-faced Ibis 156
Northern Harrier 1
Bald Eagle (immature) 1
American Coot 136
Black-necked Stilt 64
American Avocet 196
Killdeer 4
Long-billed Curlew 1
Long-billed Dowitcher 7
Willet 2
Ring-billed Gull 3
California Gull 5
Larus sp. 8 too far away, but all were large, white-headed gulls
Caspian Tern 8 at one point, all were lined up next to each other on the ground. At other times, they were diving from the air and coming up with small fish
Common Raven 2
Horned Lark 2
Song Sparrow 3
Western Meadowlark 1
Red-winged Blackbird 75

My persistence paid off with 5 new county birds!

Meg Andrews
Reno, NV

Back to top
Date: 4/23/18 9:24 am
From: Craig D Dodson <craigd...>
Subject: Greater White-fronted Geese in Sierra Valley CA
Like Martin I have been birding the Sierra Valley recently and the only birds that I can add to his post are a fairly large number of Greater White-fronted Geese migrating through. They are generally seen from Marble Hot Springs Rd in the vicinity of the steel bridge.
3/31/18 – 14
4/3/18 – 12
4/19/18 – 47 (one flock heading N at sunset)
4/20/18 – 24 + 4 + 5 + 7 = 40 (four flocks feeding separately over a 3 mile drive)
4/22/18 – 7

This is a great location to actually see an American Bittern. I usually see one every other trip and hear a few every trip.

Craig

Back to top
Date: 4/22/18 7:31 pm
From: Rose Strickland <rosenreno...>
Subject: Franklin's Gull in Fallon
NV birders,

We knew we were going to have a good birding day when we saw a Bald Eagle perch on a pole in the Keystone Center when leaving Reno early this morning. Driving through Fallon, we found that Swainson’s Hawks now outnumber Red-tailed Hawks. Yellow-headed Blackbirds seemed to be in every tule patch in the Fallon ditches. However, we did not spot Western Kingbirds, but they should return soon.

We spent several hours at Carson Lake on the few roads that are still open and not covered with water. We took Meg’s advice and drove west from the 4-way, towards Hwy. 95. There were hundreds of American White Pelicans doing their group fish herding dance, flying in formation, and all over the “big water” to the south. American Avocets were the second most numerous, followed by stilts, ducks, ibis, a flight of White-fronted Geese, a few dowitchers and sandpipers. We passed a couple of curlews in a field just south of the clubhouse entrance, heard and then saw a Willet fly by, and enjoyed close views of Snowy and Great Egrets at the 4-way, along with busy Cliff Swallows, and at last, a Common Gallinule (which used to be common years ago). The mayfly biomass in and above the bushes was impressive, sometimes in towering bug tornadoes.

On the way home via the Sheckler cutoff, we finally found a recently flooded field. Among the dozens of California and Ring-billed Doves, we spotted one black-headed gull. Its size and brilliant white eye arcs lead us to our ID of a Franklin’s Gull.

A beautiful sunny spring day in Western Nevada.

Rose Strickland
Reno

Back to top
Date: 4/22/18 6:48 pm
From: Darlene Feener <darlenemfeener...>
Subject: Discovery Park: Pahrump, Nv (and other areas of Pahrump in Nye County.
It was beautiful today with no wind. There were 43 species of birds seen @ Discovery Park this morning and an additional 9 species seen in other areas of Pahrump. A total of 52 species for this morning's birding.
Discovery Park: (43 species)

Snow Goose
Canada Goose
Cinnamon Teal
American Wigeon
Mallard
Ruddy Duck
Gambel's Quail
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Cooper's Hawk
Red-shouldered Hawk
American Coot
Black-necked Stilt
Spotted Sandpiper
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon)
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Mourning Dove
Black-chinned Hummingbird
Anna's Hummingbird
American Kestrel
Gray Flycatcher
Black Phoebe
Say's Phoebe
Vermilion Flycatcher
Cassin's Kingbird
Western Kingbird
Common Raven
Verdin
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Marsh Wren
Bewick's Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
American Robin
Northern Mockingbird
European Starling
Phainopepla
Orange-crowned Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's)
Yellow headed Blackbird
Great tailed Grackle
House Finch
Lesser Goldfinch
House Sparrow

Species in other areas of Pahrump, seen this morning: (9)

Red-tailed Hawk
Wilson's Snipe
Ladder-backed Woodpecker
Tree Swallow
Western Bluebird
Hooded Oriole
Bullock's Oriole
Red-winged Blackbird
Brewer's Blackbird

By Darlene Feener
<darlenemfeener...>

Back to top
Date: 4/22/18 12:00 pm
From: John Taylor <00000102d141b353-dmarc-request...>
Subject: HBVP Bird List 4/16 - 4/22 2018
The Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve is open at 6 AM from March 1 through October 31. March, April and May closing is at 2 PM, with last entry at 1:30.
The property is on the north side of Galleria Dr., just west of the Animal Shelter, between Ward Dr. and Moser Dr. Phone 702 267 4080.
The following birds were seen or heard (H) and confirmed by staff during the week 16 April through 22 April, 2018:

Canada Goose
Gadwall
American Wigeon
Mallard
Blue-winged Teal
Cinnamon Teal
Northern Shoveler
Northern Pintail
Green-winged Teal
Redhead
Ring-necked Duck
Lesser Scaup
Bufflehead
Common Goldeneye
Hooded Merganser
Red-breasted Merganser
Ruddy Duck
Gambel's Quail
Pied-billed Grebe
Horned Grebe
Eared Grebe
Western Grebe
Neotropic Cormorant
Double-crested Cormorant
Least Bittern
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
Green Heron
Black-crowned Night-Heron
White-faced Ibis
Turkey Vulture
Osprey
Northern Harrier
Red-tailed Hawk
Sora
Common Gallinule
American Coot
Killdeer
Black-necked Stilt
American Avocet
Spotted Sandpiper
Greater Yellowlegs
Western Sandpiper
Long-billed Dowitcher
Wilson's Snipe
Wilson's Phalarope
Franklin's Gull
Ring-billed Gull
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Mourning Dove
Greater Roadrunner
Black-chinned Hummingbird
Anna's Hummingbird
Costa's Hummingbird
Belted Kingfisher
American Kestrel
Peregrine Falcon
Prairie Falcon
Black Phoebe
Say's Phoebe
Ash-throated Flycatcher
Tree Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Barn Swallow
Verdin
Marsh Wren
Black-tailed Gnatcatcher
Northern Mockingbird
Orange-crowned Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Savannah Sparrow
Song Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Red-winged Blackbird
Yellow-headed Blackbird
Great-tailed Grackle
House Finch
House Sparrow
81
Happy Birding

John Taylor
Lead Recreation Assistant
Henderson Bird Preserve
350 E Galleria Drive
Henderson, NV 89015
(702) 267-4180

Back to top
Date: 4/22/18 11:29 am
From: Martin Meyers <Martin...>
Subject: Clarification on odd-looking hawk I mentioned in yesterday's Sierra Valley post
In my post to this listserv yesterday about my Saturday visit to Sierra
Valley, I mentioned an oddly-plumaged Red-tailed Hawk that was in the
vicinity of the ranch house on Dyson Lane. I sent some photos to raptor
expert Brian Sullivan, who responded that the unusual plumage was not
the result of leucism, since incoming fresh feathers look normal.
Rather, it is a result of fading and extreme wear on this first spring
hawk.

I've put a photo of the bird on my website for anyone interested -- it
is (for now) the first image under the "Recent" tab.

Martin

---------------
Martin Meyers
email: Martin (...AT...) SierraBirdbum.com
Photo website: http://SierraBirdbum.com
Truckee, CA

Back to top
Date: 4/21/18 10:52 pm
From: Martin Meyers <Martin...>
Subject: Very nice day in Sierra Valley (slightly out of area)
Saturday (4/21) was a beautiful day in Sierra Valley. Perfect weather
and lots of birds. The section of Dyson Lane (aka Marble Hot Springs
Road) between the Iron Bridge and the ranch house was amazing. Wilson's
Snipe, Pied-billed Grebes, Soras, a few Sandhill Cranes, and several
American Bitterns provided a constant barrage of sound, sometimes nearly
drowned out by hundreds of Cliff, Barn, and Tree Swallows overhead. A
few Marsh Wrens added a bit more music. The Snipe, Soras, and Bitterns
were hidden in the grass most of the time, although a Snipe would fly up
every now and then, and a couple of Bitterns took flight. One Sora was
feeding in the ditch on the south side of the road and remained out in
the open for about twenty minutes -- it didn't seem disturbed by the
constant clicking of my camera.

Raptors were relatively scarce -- a few Red-tailed Hawks and Northern
Harriers. One of the Red-tails was unusual looking -- perhaps a case of
partial leucism. Also saw my first Swainson's Hawk of the season.

The ponds just east of the main ranch pond were full of Dowitchers
(presumed Long-billed), Black-necked Stilts, American Avocets, and a few
peeps too far away to identify. My first Willets of the season were near
the Iron Bridge.

A pleasant short walk at the Maddalena Ranch Preserve yielded three Sage
Thrashers and an Osprey, but I was not able to find any Brewer's
Sparrows, usually abundant there (but it's just a little early.)

Here's my complete list for the Plumas County portion of the valley
today:

Sierra Valley, Plumas County (primarily Dyson Lane, aka Marble Hot
Springs Road)

Canada Goose
Cinnamon Teal 8
Northern Shoveler 16
Gadwall
American Wigeon 6
Mallard
Redhead 2
Ruddy Duck
Pied-billed Grebe 20
Sora 1 seen, many heard
American Coot
Sandhill Crane 4
Black-necked Stilt 12
American Avocet 10
Long-billed Dowitcher 100
Wilson's Snipe 3 seen, many heard
Willet 2
Ring-billed Gull 10
American Bittern 2 seen, a couple more heard
Great Egret 6
White-faced Ibis 50
Turkey Vulture 4
Northern Harrier 2
Swainson's Hawk 1
Red-tailed Hawk 4
Common Raven
Tree Swallow 30
Cliff Swallow 400 (conservative estimate)
Barn Swallow 30
Marsh Wren 4
Savannah Sparrow 4
White-crowned Sparrow 1 (pale lored)
Yellow-headed Blackbird
Western Meadowlark 3 seen, more heard
Red-winged Blackbird
Brown-headed Cowbird 2
Brewer's Blackbird

Sierra Valley, Plumas County (Maddalena Ranch)

Canada Goose
American Coot
Sandhill Crane 2
White-faced Ibis 4
Turkey Vulture
Osprey 1
Tree Swallow
Common Raven
Sage Thrasher 3
Yellow-headed Blackbird 2
Western Meadowlark 1
Brewer's Blackbird

Martin

---------------

Date: 4/21/18 4:44 pm
From: Richard And Carolyn titus <titusrica...>
Subject: Floyd Lamb Park at Tule Springs, Clark County, April 21, 2018
One of our largest groups yet arrived to participate in the April Red Rock Audubon Society Third Saturday Bird Walk at Floyd Lamb Park at Tule Springs. The winds which have been buffeting the valley most of the week had mercifully abated. Skies were clear, temperature was about 60 degrees climbing toward 80 degrees as we finished. There were 23 participants plus leader. Although counts for most individual species were low, diversity was high. We counted 43 species.

Greater White-fronted Goose (1)
Snow Goose (1)
Ross's Goose (2)
Cackling Goose (1) (Aleutian)
Canada Goose (several adults herding large nursery of goslings, 20 or more)
Mallard (a few pairs)
Ruddy Duck
Gambel's Quail (10)
Pied-billed Grebe
Black-crowned Night-Heron (3)
Cooper's Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk (adult and immature)
Common Gallinule
American Coot (half a dozen or so, notable for their absence)
Rock Pigeon
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Mourning Dove (1)
Burrowing Owl (2)
Black-chinned Hummingbird (male; female building nest)
Anna's Hummingbird (male)
Costa's Hummingbird (male)
Prairie Falcon
Hammond's Flycatcher
Gray Flycatcher
Dusky Flycatcher
Western Kingbird (1)
Cassin's Vireo
Common Raven (2)
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Barn Swallow (2)
Verdin
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Northern Mockingbird
Phainopepla (pair)
Orange-crowned Warbler (1)
Lucy's Warbler (elusive singing male)
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's) (3)
Abert's Towhee (3)
White-crowned Sparrow
Great-tailed Grackle
House Finch (4)
Lesser Goldfinch
American Goldfinch (6)

Enjoy Nevada's birds!
Carolyn Titus
Red Rock Audubon Society

Back to top
Date: 4/21/18 12:55 pm
From: Rick/Meg Andrews <andrews2727...>
Subject: Tricolored Blackbirds, Carson Valley
Karen Havlena and I spent a very nice morning birding from Wellington to Reno. She wanted to see the Tricolored Blackbirds in Carson Valley, so we checked the marsh on the east side of Hwy. 88 at Centerville, and there may have been one or two, if any, Tricolored Blackbirds present. We didn't see any on the west side of Hwy. 88 We then drove west on Centerville Road 2.3 miles (.45 miles east of Foothill Road) and found a nice colony on the north side of the Centerville Road. Other blackbirds were present in the area (Red-winged, Yellow-headed, and Brewer's), but I counted at least 28 male and female Tricoloreds in a fairly tight colony. Probably more, but there are always some hidden by vegetation or out feeding. The females are almost easier to ID than the males. Another highlight at that stop were the Wilson's Snipes--at least 8, and probably more, snipes were doing display flights around 8:00 a.m.

Meg Andrews
Reno, NV

Back to top
Date: 4/21/18 8:18 am
From: Lora E Myles <lorajean...>
Subject: Long-tailed DUck
The Long-tailed Duck continues at Rye Patch SP, hanging out with grebes (Clark's, Western, and Eared) at the top of the dam.

-Lora Myles

Back to top
Date: 4/21/18 7:31 am
From: Jeff Bleam <jcbleam...>
Subject: Washoe Valley, WAS
Went on a tour of Washoe Valley on a very pleasant day after the last few
days of cool weather and a light dusting of snow where a new yard bird a
YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD showed up with BREWERS BLACKBIRDS. I started off
at Davis Creel RP but didn't find the Calliope Hummingbird that has shown
up the last couple of years. As I toured the west side of the valley I
found 2 SANDHILL CRANES in the field east of Bowers Mansion RP. At Wilson
Common Park area I found an adult BALD EAGLE perched on a power pole and 2
LONG-BILLED CURLEWs. At Bellevue, I found 2 WILLETs and a flyover of a
CASPIAN TERN. At the Washoe Lake SP entrance the continuing GREAT-HORNED
OWLs have 3 young and are large enough to push out the mom from the nest.
The BARN OWL continues at the picnic area and as I was leaving I found FOS
CHIPPING SPARROW. Nice outing with my Kaja girl.

Jeff Bleam
Mt Rose Foothills, NV
byjcbphoto.com

Back to top
Date: 4/20/18 9:01 pm
From: Fred Petersen <0000000abacb4558-dmarc-request...>
Subject: White-faced Ibis, Idlewild (April 20th, 2018)
Idlewild Park, Reno, Washoe County (4/20/18)

When I visited the park this afternoon, the ibis was roosting in the big S pond well offshore. It was a first for me at the park.

Here it is in all its iridescent glory--
https://www.flickr.com/photos/fugl/40882016194/in/dateposted/

--Fred Petersen, Reno

Back to top
Date: 4/18/18 4:35 pm
From: Jane Burnham <janefrancesburnham...>
Subject: Swan Lake
I had a call from an out of state visitor to Swan Lake, he expressed
concern about the development in the area. He called the Parks Dept (I
thought there wasn't one anymore) and was told that development was
impacting nesting birds at Swan Lake. Do you think this is true?

This was the second call in a week from visitors to Swan Lake, the first
called about trash couches etc dumped near the entrance to the boardwalk. I
went out there but didn't find anything.

Any thoughts?

--
Jane

"What leaves you feeling bad, do less of. What leaves you feeling good, do
more of" Martha Beck

Back to top
Date: 4/15/18 5:37 pm
From: Darlene Feener <darlenemfeener...>
Subject: Discovery Park: Pahrump, Nv. (Nye County)
Overcast morning with blowing wind. (41) species seen @ Discovery Park and (16) other species were seen in other areas of Pahrump, Nv. A total of 57 species seen for the morning of birding.

Discovery Park:

Snow Goose
Canada Goose
Cinnamon Teal
American Wigeon
Mallard
Green-winged Teal
Ruddy Duck
Gambel's Quail
Pied-billed Grebe
Eared Grebe
Red-shouldered Hawk
American Coot
Killdeer
Wilson's Snipe
California Gull
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon)
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Mourning Dove
Anna's Hummingbird
Rufous Hummingbird
American Kestrel
Peregrine Falcon
Vermilion Flycatcher
Western Kingbird
American Crow
Comon Raven
Tree Swallow
Violet-crowned Swallow
Verdin
Bewick's Wren
Crissal Thrasher
Northern Mockingbird
European Starling
Phainopepla
White-crowned Sparrow
Yellow-headed Blackbird
Red-winged Blackbird
Great-tailed Grackle
House Finch
Lesser Goldfinch
House Sparrow

Other areas of Pahrump that were birded today: (16) species

Ring-necked Duck
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
White-faced Ibis
Turkey Vulture
Cooper's Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Spotted Sandpiper
Costa's Hummingbird
Ladder-backed Woodpecker
Black Phoebe
Say's Phoebe
Marsh Wren
American Robin
Hooded Oriole

By Darlene Feener
<darlenemfeener...>

Back to top
Date: 4/15/18 12:55 pm
From: Jeff Bleam <jcbleam...>
Subject: LAS Field Trip con't
so as I was sayinf before hitting the ENTER key, ny FOS WHITE-FACED IBIS
was on one of the islands. Very nice day indeed.

Jeff Bleam
Mt Rose Foothills, NV
byjcbphoto.com

Back to top
Date: 4/15/18 12:52 pm
From: Jeff Bleam <jcbleam...>
Subject: LAS Field Trip: Damonte Ranch Wetlands, SE Reno
It was a sunny calm morning and 7 birders showed up at the earlier start
time of 7:30 am. At the parking area we had BARN SWALLOWS and 2 singing
VIRGINIA RAIL. We had flyby of a GREATER YELLOWLEG and 2 WILLET. We
walked along the south side of the Veteran's Pkwy where the next Swallow
was CLIFF then TREE, NORTHERN ROUGH-WING, and BANK. On the water we saw
AVOCET, STILT, LEAST, and WESTERN SANDPIPERS. Plenty of RED-WINGED and
YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRDS but no females but I did see one later in the day
at the So Meadows Wetlands. We heard SORA singing, flyby of AMERICAN
PIPITS, KESTREL, and PEREGRINE FALCON. A treat was seeing a courtship
display by the HARRIERS where the male dropped a squirrel and the female
catching it in midair. We ended the day with 57 species and that didn't
include a Red-tailed Hawk or Say's Phoebe.

I did a sweep of the SE wetlands starting at the north end of Damonte Ranch
where I found my FOS COMMON YELLOWTHROAT and the continuing WILSON'S
SNIPE. I went into the east foothills and heard a ROCK WREN and found the
SAY'S. At South Meadows Wetlands I had another FOS the

ebird cklist: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44597933

*Photos*
Photostream: https://www.flickr.com/photos/byjcb/
DRW album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/byjcb/albums/72157649906519926

Jeff Bleam
Mt Rose Foothills, NV
byjcbphoto.com

Back to top
Date: 4/15/18 11:35 am
From: John Taylor <00000102d141b353-dmarc-request...>
Subject: HBVP Bird List 4/9 - 4/15 2018
The Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve is open at 6 AM from March 1 through October 31. March, April and May closing is at 2 PM, with last entry at 1:30.
The property is on the north side of Galleria Dr., just west of the Animal Shelter, between Ward Dr. and Moser Dr. Phone 702 267 4080.
The following birds were seen or heard (H) and confirmed by staff during the week 9 April through 15 April, 2018:

Canada Goose
Gadwall
American Wigeon
Mallard
Blue-winged Teal
Cinnamon Teal
Northern Shoveler
Green-winged Teal
Redhead
Ring-necked Duck
Lesser Scaup
Bufflehead
Ruddy Duck
Gambel's Quail
Pied-billed Grebe
Horned Grebe
Eared Grebe
Western Grebe
Neotropic Cormorant
Double-crested Cormorant
Least Bittern
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
Green Heron
Black-crowned Night-Heron
White-faced Ibis
Turkey Vulture
Osprey
Northern Harrier
Cooper's Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Sora
Common Gallinule
American Coot
Killdeer
Black-necked Stilt
American Avocet
Least Sandpiper
Long-billed Dowitcher
Wilson's Snipe
Franklin's Gull
Ring-billed Gull
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Mourning Dove
Greater Roadrunner
Black-chinned Hummingbird
Anna's Hummingbird
Costa's Hummingbird
Belted Kingfisher
American Kestrel
Black Phoebe
Say's Phoebe
Tree Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Barn Swallow
Verdin
Marsh Wren
Black-tailed Gnatcatcher
Crissal Thrasher
American Pipit
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Savannah Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Lincoln's Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Red-winged Blackbird
Yellow-headed Blackbird
Great-tailed Grackle
House Finch
House Sparrows

Happy Birding
72

John Taylor
Lead Recreation Assistant
Henderson Bird Preserve
350 E Galleria Drive
Henderson, NV 89015
(702) 267-4180

Back to top
Date: 4/14/18 5:04 pm
From: Neil McDonal <nmmai7...>
Subject: Summer residents returning?
Today Karen & I went out to Floyd Lamb Park off Durango in the north part of town, and when the birds were not being drowned out by the Highland Games (those Scottish folk!), we heard a smattering of birds. More impressive were the large number of Emps that seem to be returning / passing through. In addition, the Black-chinned Hummingbirds are back in mass, perhaps some to also spread out in nearby areas. I can’t recall seeing so many in the park. We also had our first Bullock’s Oriole for the year. So while there were no massive numbers of birds returning, things are looking up.

On the flip side, there was a real dearth of Phainopepla; one seen and perhaps another heard. The mistletoe berry crop has been greatly reduced and was never very abundant this year. I fear we will see either a crash or perhaps an exodus to wherever it is they go when times get tough. The same seems to be true at Corn Creek as well, although perhaps not as extreme. Although they are quiet when they are raising a brood, they are not normally this stealthy.

One of my occasional musings on birds,

Neil McDonal
Las Vegas

Sent from my iPad

Back to top
Date: 4/14/18 4:44 pm
From: Alan Wallace <wallacealan...>
Subject: Anna's and Black-chinned Humminbirds, west Reno
I put up a hummingbird feeder a couple of weeks ago and almost immediately
was rewarded with an adult male Anna's Hummingbird. He, along with an
occasional adult female, has been a daily visitor. I had caught glimpses of
another smaller hummingbird starting a few days ago, and a good look today
showed that it was an adult male Black-chinned Hummingbird. I live in
uppermost Caughlin Ranch, overlooking Alum Creek, in west Reno. Continuing
birds include Pine Siskins, Lesser Goldfinches, House Finches, Dark-eyed
Juncos, Spotted Towhees, magpies, scrub and Steller's jays, flickers, quail,
doves, robins, Bewick's Wrens, and a few White- and Golden-crowned Sparrows.
Plus Sharp-shinned and Cooper's Hawks, and nearby nesting Red-tailed Hawks.
A Great Horned Owl roosted in a pine tree at deck level at dawn a week ago.

Alan Wallace
Reno NV

Back to top
Date: 4/11/18 10:14 pm
From: Ben Zyla <theloraxx365...>
Subject: Primm Purple Finch
Hello,

With the increasing wind today, I stopped by the famous Primm Forest Preserve to see if anything had blown in. Birds of interest were a single Lewis's Woodpecker and a female PURPLE FINCH. The finch trifecta was there with Purple, Cassin's, and House all in the same area.

The Purple Finch can be seen here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44483532

It's amazing what any small patch of green can harbor in the desert.

BZ

Back to top
Date: 4/11/18 7:00 pm
From: Clayton Peoples <claypeoples...>
Subject: Recent Reno Sightings...and Question RE: Painted Bunting
Hi All,

Just wanted to report some recent sightings (this week) in the Reno area:

Rancho San Rafael Regional Park in NW Reno: Usual suspects, with a marked increase in goldfinches (American and lesser) and yellow-rumped warblers. One notable sighting: cinnamon teal in Herman's Pond.

Crystal Peak Park in Verdi: Nothing too unusual, but some beauties nonetheless (e.g. red-breasted sapsucker, pygmy nuthatch). Lots of ring-necked ducks and four American wigeons in the pond. Notably, the pair of western bluebirds is back, and are gathering nesting materials.

Question: Is the male painted bunting still hanging around the Vegas area? I'm guessing it has moved on, but if anyone has seen it, please post (or e-mail me). Thanks!

Clayton Peoples

Reno, NV

Back to top
Date: 4/10/18 9:37 pm
From: Martin Meyers <Martin...>
Subject: Late Iceland (thayeri) Gull at Sparks Marina
A brief (and VERY windy) stop at Sparks Marina this afternoon yielded my
latest spring Iceland (thayeri) Gull. It is one of only two sightings
I've had for this species in Nevada during April, with the other being
at the Pyramid Lake Delta on 4/5/14. I've also had one April sighting
in California, at the Salton Sea on 4/8/96.

I got a pretty dramatic photo of today's bird, which is on my website as
the first photo on the "Recent" tab. If you happen to visit the
website, check out the second photo on that page -- surely a hybrid
between Steller's Jay and Harpy Eagle. ; < )

Martin

---------------

Date: 4/9/18 6:28 pm
From: Scott Rudolph <0000003f8b216fc4-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Red Tailed Hawk NEST over Greater Nevada Field
Went to the Aces game yesterday in downtown Reno. One of the lighting towers was coned off due to HAWK NESTING! On the southern most light pole, over section 119, the pole closest to the Truckee river, one row from the top, there is a giant nest. We observed Male and Female Red-Tailed Hawks, bringing nesting material, as well as another male, up to no good.This was opening weekend for the Aces, I'm curious if the lights and the crowds will chase off the birds?

Back to top
Date: 4/9/18 11:14 am
From: Brian Adams <bra356...>
Subject: Possible Swainson's Hawk, Reno
I just saw what I think was a an adult light-phase Swainson's Hawk glide over Keystone Ave just north of U. Terrace in Reno. As it approached me my first thought was the wings were longer and narrower than the expected Red-tailed, and the gliding posture seemed different, flatter and more rigid somehow. Then as it closed I saw the telltale unmarked white underbelly and sharply delineated cocoa-colored breast/throat. I was driving and couldn't pursue it, but it sure struck me as a classic Swainson's. It was heading east towards Whitaker Park at around 10:45 am.

Brian Adams

Back to top
Date: 4/9/18 8:36 am
From: John Taylor <00000102d141b353-dmarc-request...>
Subject: HBVP Bird List 4/2 - 4/8 2018
The Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve is open at 6 AM from March 1 through October 31. March, April and May closing is at 2 PM, with last entry at 1:30.
The property is on the north side of Galleria Dr., just west of the Animal Shelter, between Ward Dr. and Moser Dr. Phone 702 267 4080.
The following birds were seen or heard (H) and confirmed by staff during the week 2 April through 8 April, 2018:

Canada Goose
Wood Duck
Gadwall
American Wigeon
Mallard
Blue-winged Teal
Cinnamon Teal
Northern Shoveler
Green-winged Teal
Redhead
Ring-necked Duck
Lesser Scaup
Bufflehead
Common Goldeneye
Ruddy Duck
Gambel's Quail
Pied-billed Grebe
Eared Grebe
Neotropic Cormorant
Double-crested Cormorant20
Least Bittern
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
Green Heron
Black-crowned Night-Heron
Turkey Vulture
Osprey
Northern Harrier
Red-tailed Hawk
Virginia Rail
Sora
Common Gallinule
American Coot
Killdeer
Black-necked Stilt
American Avocet
Greater Yellowlegs
Long-billed Dowitcher
Wilson's Snipe
Bonaparte's Gull40
Ring-billed Gull
California Gull
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Mourning Dove
Greater Roadrunner
Black-chinned Hummingbird
Anna's Hummingbird
Costa's Hummingbird
Rufous Hummingbird
Peregrine Falcon
Black Phoebe
Say's Phoebe
Tree Swallow
Violet-green Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Barn Swallow
Verdin
Marsh Wren
Black-tailed Gnatcatcher60
Northern Mockingbird
Crissal Thrasher
Orange-crowned Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Abert's Towhee
Song Sparrow
Lincoln's Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Red-winged Blackbird
Yellow-headed Blackbird
Great-tailed Grackle
House Finch
72
Happy Birding

John Taylor
Lead Recreation Assistant
Henderson Bird Preserve
350 E Galleria Drive
Henderson, NV 89015
(702) 267-4180

Back to top
Date: 4/8/18 7:47 pm
From: Darlene Feener <darlenemfeener...>
There were 48 species of birds seen @ Discovery Park this morning. Another 11 species were seen in other areas of Pahrump. A total of 59 species seen today in Pahrump.

Discovery Park:

Snow Goose
Canada Goose
Cinnamon Teal
Northern Shoveler
American Wigeon
Mallard
Green-winged Teal
Ruddy Duck
Gambel's Quail
Pied-billed Grebe
Eared Grebe
Snowy Egret
Black-crowned Night-Heron
Turkey Vulture
Cooper's Hawk
Swainson's Hawk (4) in flight
American Coot
Killdeer
Long-billed Dowitcher
Ring-billed Gull
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon)
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Mourning Dove
Anna's Hummingbird
Northern Flicker
American Kestrel
Black Phoebe
Vermilion Flycatcher
Western Kingbird
American Crow
Common Raven
Tree Swallow
Violet-green Swallow
Verdin
Northern Mockingbird
European Starling
Phainopepla
Lucy's Warbler
Yellow rumped Warbler (Audubon)
White-crowned Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Lincoln's Sparrow
Yellow-headed Blackbird
Red-winged Blackbird
Great-tailed Grackle
House Finch
Lesser Goldfinch
House Sparrow

Additional 11 species in Pahrump:

Double-crested Cormorant
Great Egret
Red-tailed Hawk
Costa's Hummingbird
Ladder-backed Woodpecker
Say's Phoebe
Cassin's Kingbird
Marsh Wren
American Robin
Brewer's Blackbird
Hooded Oriole

By Darlene Feener
<darlenemfeener...>

Back to top
Date: 4/8/18 5:41 pm
From: Ben Zyla <theloraxx365...>
Subject: Tennessee Warbler at Sunset Park, Clark County
Greetings Birders,

This afternoon around 3:15, Brandon Miller and I observed a male TENNESSEE WARBLER at Sunset Park. Specifically, it was in some oaks on the west side of the Safekey lawn patch, on the outside of the thickets of veg that make a barrier to the lawn. It was with some Orange-crowned(s) and Yellow-rumped(s).

The wind was a bit of problem and we kept loosing it in the trees before it headed into the thick veg. It was a classic male.

Brandon also had an early male MacGillivray's Warbler in the thick veg as well.

Good Luck out there.

BZ

Back to top
Date: 4/8/18 5:29 pm
From: Martin Meyers <Martin...>
Subject: Pleasant walk at Oxbow Park (Reno)
A bright, sunny, calm day seemed like a good time to take a walk around
Oxbow Park in Reno. Rose's report of Vaux's Swifts along the Truckee
River yesterday contributed to the idea.
No swifts today, and only one swallow, a Tree Swallow, sitting,
appropriately enough, in a tree. A male "Myrtle" Yellow-rumped Warbler
was the only surprise today -- certainly not rare but unusual enough to
brighten the day I thought there might be some returning migrants, but
other than the Tree Swallow, all the birds were ones that have been
around awhile. (I suppose the Orange-crowned Warbler could qualify as a
migrant, perhaps.) A very vocal Red-shouldered Hawk was in the area
where a pair has nested in recent years, but no indication of nesting
today. A California Scrub-Jay carried some sticks into an area of thick
foliage. There was lots of singing (Bewick's Wrens were going nuts) and
enough variety to make for a very enjoyable hour or so.

Here's a complete list:

Canada Goose 1
Mallard 5
California Quail 4
Eurasian Collared-Dove 2
Mourning Dove 10
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Downy Woodpecker 2
Northern Flicker 2
Steller's Jay 15
California Scrub-Jay 10
Tree Swallow 1
Bewick's Wren 12
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1
American Robin 20
European Starling 1
Cedar Waxwing 4
Lesser Goldfinch 2
Song Sparrow 3
Red-winged Blackbird 6
Orange-crowned Warbler 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler 4

Martin

---------------

Date: 4/8/18 2:40 pm
From: Ben Zyla <Theloraxx365...>
Subject: Lawrence's Goldfinch in Clark County
Hey all,

Today at Spring Mountain SP, a group of us observed a male Lawrence's Goldfinch in the pasture near the main house. It was observed in a cottonwood but never called.

Yesterday, a group of us briefly saw and heard at least 1 female LAGO near the Orchard in a mixed flock of Goldfinches at Corn Creek.

Finally, a few weeks ago a male and female LAGO were seen by numerous observers at the Jean Lawn Patch.

I am curious as to why the frequency of observations of this somewhat hard to find species has picked up this Spring in Clark. A seasonal eruption?

Nonetheless, I am sure more will be found in the upcoming weeks.

Best,

BZ

Back to top
Date: 4/7/18 8:03 pm
From: Rose Strickland <rosenreno...>
Subject: Vaux's Swifts
NV birders,

on a walk along the flooding Truckee River today, upriver from Wingfield Park, we found 3 Vaux’s Swifts among a dozen or so swallows - Northern Roughwing's and a Barn Swallow at Idlewild Park.

Rose Strickland,
Reno

Back to top
Date: 4/5/18 4:08 pm
From: Jeff Bleam <jcbleam...>
Subject: Reno Birds
Been hunting nesting GREAT-HORNED OWLS and have found 4 nests with 3 having
recent hatchlings. Also, RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKERS are in full display with
4 in Whites Creek Canyon and 4 at Crystal Lake Park in Verdi.

Some good news at Hunters Creek Canyon: a crew is putting a bridge over the
creek at the trail from the parking lot and it should be done in 2 weeks.
Right now there is not a direct crossing over Hunters Creek at this point
so this is great news.

Jeff Bleam
Mt Rose Foothills, NV
byjcbphoto.com

Back to top
Date: 4/3/18 11:10 am
From: Jennifer Ballard <ballard...>
Subject: Report Tagged/Banded Pelican Sightings
Hey all, I wanted to forward this on from the Utah Birds list serv, since we catch their birds here in Nevada.

Happy birding!

Jen

Date: 4/2/18 7:16 pm
From: Dennis Serdehely <birders...>
Subject: Swainson's Hawk in Reno
My FOS Swainson's Hawk flying over at the corner of Mill and Rock.
Dennis Serdehely

Back to top
Date: 4/1/18 12:59 pm
From: John Taylor <00000102d141b353-dmarc-request...>
Subject: HBVP Bird List 3/26 - 4/1 2018
The Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve is open at 6 AM from March 1 through October 31. March, April and May closing is at 2 PM, with last entry at 1:30.
The property is on the north side of Galleria Dr., just west of the Animal Shelter, between Ward Dr. and Moser Dr. Phone 702 267 4080.
The following birds were seen or heard (H) and confirmed by staff during the week 19 March through 25 March, 2018:

Date: 3/31/18 10:10 am
From: tim almond <tralmond702...>
Subject: Re: Painted bunting continues in Jean
Same place, right now. Fabulous bird.

On Fri, Mar 30, 2018, 11:46 AM David Syzdek <dsyzdek...> wrote:

> It took me 75 minutes, but I was able to relocated the MALE PAINTED
> BUNTING in a strip of grass between the NB I-15 ramp and parking lot of the
> gold strike casino. Other bird of note was a black-crowned night heron on
> the airport side of the casino
>
> Dave Syzdek
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 3/31/18 8:37 am
From: Jeff Bleam <jcbleam...>
Subject: LAS Field Trip: Whites Creek Canyon, SW Reno
It was a beautiful spring day and there were 10 of us out for a walk
through the woods. We started at Timberline and the Forest road leading to
the parking area. We first walked along Timberline where we counted 10
SPOTTED TOWHEEs singing away. Last week a BARN SWALLOW showed up but today
there were 4 and it looked like 2 pairs. CALIFORNIA QUAIL were in high
numbers compared to a couple of weeks ago and in the sagebrush habitat were
counted 22 CALIFORNIA SCRUB-JAYS. A RED-TAILED HAWK was flying over Thomas
Creek Canyon and there was another hawk in the top of a conifer. At first
I thought it was another Red-tailed Hawk but as we got close and the light
was better it turned out to be a COOPER'S HAWK. As we walked up the
canyon, our first encounter were CASSIN'S FINCHES leaving the HOUSE FINCHES
at Timberline. All along the fire road we heard Cassin's Finches singing
away and we estimated 75 and that is a low number. We saw a male
WHITE-HEADED WOODPECKER and soon after that a RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER. The
single Sapsucker turned into 2 then a 3rd showed up. They put on a nice
show. We also saw WESTERN BLUEBIRDS and one of the last birds seen was a
close encounter with a WHITE-BREASTED NUTHATCH, which landed right next to
me at about 1-2 feet away. We ended the day with 29 species; a good number
for the woodland habitat. On another note, I did a swing around Washoe
Lake SP and the GREAT-HORNED OWL has at least 2 recently hatched owlets.

ebird list: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44115648

Photos:

Photostream: https://www.flickr.com/photos/byjcb/
WCC Album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/byjcb/albums/72157659739611655

Jeff Bleam
Mt Rose Foothills, NV
byjcbphoto.com

Back to top
Date: 3/31/18 4:25 am
From: Darlene Feener <darlenemfeener...>
Subject: Discovery Park/Pahhrump, Nv. (Nye County)
A Cassin's Kingbird was seen on Discovery Park on March 30, 2018. This bird was located in a Cottonwood Tree at the very top. This is in the Red-Butte area of Discovery Park just past the two ponds going West. Bird was calling frequently. (46) species were seen @ Discovery Park and an additional (8) species were seen in other areas of Pahrump. A total of (54) species for Pahrump this morning.

Discovery Park: (46) species

Snow Goose
Canada Goose
Blue-winged Teal
Cinnamon Teal
Northern Shoveler
American Wigeon
Mallard
Green-winged Teal
Redhead
Ring-necked Duck
Ruddy Duck
Gambel's Quail
Pied-billed Grebe
Great Blue Heron
Black-crowned Night-Heron
Turkey Vulture
Red-shouldered Hawk
American Coot
Killdeer
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon)
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Mourning Dove
Anna's Hummingbird
Northern Flicker (Red-shafted)
American Kestrel
Say's Phoebe
Vermilion Flycatcher
Cassin's Kingbird
Common Raven
Verdin
Bewick's Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Crissal Thrasher
Northern Mockingbird
European Starling
Phainopepla
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's)
Dark-Eyed Junco (Oregon)
White-crowned Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Yellow-headed Blackbird
Red-winged Blackbird
Great-tailed Grackle
House Finch
Lesser Goldfinch
House Sparrow

Other areas of Pahrump: (9)

Redhead
Lesser Scaup
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Egret
Cooper's Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Wilson's Snipe
Black Phoebe

By Darlene Feener
<darlenemfeener...>

Back to top
Date: 3/30/18 7:28 pm
From: Bruce Van Dyke <bvd695...>
Subject: fish lake valley/weber
so it's always really nice to spend some time in march in the palm springs/joshua tree N.P. area of california (although there's a reason for that massive wind farm on I-10 coming into PS), but it was time to get home and to do so i decided to cut off from 395 at Bishop and take 6 on over to Fish Lake Valley and make a weekday morning stop at the luscious and superb hot springs there. always a double-pronged pleasure there, with a good soak and some interesting birding.

so there were some folks there. a camp of two cars and a tent, and another salty dog desert rat in a fully desertified 4-runner. everybody was cool. and there are some birds here in the ponds. as usual.

in the big outer third pond, there was a nice raft of cinnamon teal....basically 20 pairs of em. you'll never get a better look at these stunning birds. i just sucked em up. it was way good.

also in that same large pond......

3 buffleheads (1 male)
1 ruddy duck
1 male shoveler
1 male eared grebe
1 pair blue winged teal
1 willet
3 female red-winged blackbirds
1 violet green swallow
a couple marsh wrens chittering about
about 20 ivory-billed gallinules (aka coots)

and in the little stream where the hot water from the one hot bath flows into Pond 1 (home to hundreds of goldfish), in about one inch of the stream of very warm water, standing on one leg and napping with bills tucked into their backsides....5 short-billed dowitchers. i'm confident i will never get a better look at this bird. they were very tolerant, only flying off when a dog, naturally, disturbed them.

all in all, a delightful stop at this remarkably cool nevada natural area. the place was fairly spotless....it looked good. people generally seem to treat with respect and maybe even reverence.

then, heading up 95, i had lunch at a camp spot at Sportsman's Beach, which was, as usual, abondoned. so i could calmly enjoy the experience of the hills east of Walker Lake being reflected beautifully in the placid waters. very nice indeed. as old gaffers have always enjoyed saying, "you could hear yourself think out there."

so i thought i would stop in and take a look at Weber Rez. it'd been years since i'd ducked off the highway and took a look. i don't think i have ever spent the night at this forgotten pond. and you know what....Weber is ready for prime time. it looks really effing good. i spoke with a ranger, and she confirmed...the lake is full, healthy, and in great condition. it looked it. it's its own fishery.....more of a bass/catfish place than trout, i gather. but it really looked like a quality body of water, a precious thing indeed in the great basin.

birds there weren't much on my afternoon. the two birds on the lake--ruddy ducks and eared grebes. a few magpies and a say's phoebe and that was about it. obviously, the residents are still on their way. but yes, put weber on your list if you like desert lake experiences. it really is pretty damn gorgeous out there. and if you have a boat, take it out there. absolutely.

Back to top
Date: 3/30/18 6:53 pm
From: JUDY PHOENIX <000000ba884925f3-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: Nesting Owls - Youtube Stars on Webcam | Buckaroo News
Also directly on youTube with DRI updates:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOuiNxtECzA&app=desktop

JUDY PHOENIX
<jpbirding...>

> On Mar 30, 2018, at 9:30 AM, Rose Strickland <rosenreno...> wrote:
>
> NV birders,
>
> this is a link to a live camera on two Great Horned Owls, nesting side by side on a ledge at the Desert Research Institute just north of Reno. One owl has 2 chicks to which she is feeding what looks like a rabbit...
>

> http://www.buckaroonews.com/2018/03/nesting-owls-becoming-youtube-stars-on-webcam/
>
> Rose Strickland
> Reno

Back to top

Date: 3/29/18 6:54 pm
From: Ben Zyla <theloraxx365...>
Subject: Painted Bunting Continues at Jean Lawn Patch
Hey All,

Many Vegas area birders got great looks at the continuing and cooperative Painted Bunting this morning on the Jean Lawn Patch. Many great photos were taken delighting all with its unbelievable color scheme.

Here is one such picture that Brandon Miller took : https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44073315

Best,

BZ

Back to top
Date: 3/28/18 7:23 pm
From: Patrick Gaffey <pjgaffey...>
Subject: Re: Adult Male PAINTED BUNTING at Jean Lawn Patch, Clark County
Congratulations, Ben, and thanks for your speed in letting everyone know!

> On Mar 28, 2018, at 6:39 PM, Ben Zyla <Theloraxx365...> wrote:
>
> Hey All,
>
> As of this afternoon, there is an adult male PAINTED BUNTING on the Jean Lawn Patch off the I-15 about 20 min outside Vegas. This stunning bird was seen in the grass closest to the Shell Station amongst some Lesser Goldfinches and Savannah Sparrows. Unmistakable.
>
> The Jean Lawn Patch is off the Jean exit near the Goldstrike Casino on the 15 Interstate going South. It was quite birdy there actually. I also observed a female Lawrence's Goldfinch in amongst the Lessers. It's distinctive bell or tink like flight call helped me pick it out of the flock.
>
> BZ

Back to top

Date: 3/27/18 11:22 pm
From: Rob Lowry <00000002625e15f9-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Eastern Phoebe-Carson River Park/Silver Saddle Ranch, Carson CIty
Hello!

Earlier this evening (Tuesday, March 27th) while hiking at the referenced location, I clearly heard an Eastern Phoebe calling it's distinctive "fee-bee" in a buffoloberry bush about a half-mile upstream of the Mexican Dam. This particular bush is the first and largest buffaloberry bush upstream of the dam right on the banks of the Carson River. I was not able to get a visual on the Phoebe as it called 2 or 3 times. Ironically, this is the same bush where I visually observed one in August 2014.

Other birds of note include 3 active Great-Horned Owl nests and a pair of Barn Owls in the split-top cottonwood tree near the parking lot.

The parking lot of Carson River Park is off of Carson River Road just before it crosses over the Carson River in east Carson City. The one-way distance from the parking lot to the buffaloberry bush is about 2.25 miles.

Rob Lowry
Carson City

Back to top
Date: 3/27/18 11:05 pm
From: Brian Adams <bra356...>
Subject: N. Mockingbirds, Old NW Reno
Over the decades there have been occasional single N. Mockingbirds in my yard and vicinity (Wesley Dr off Keystone Ave, near Lake Park.) For the past couple of weeks there have been 3 of them. Best I can determine, 1 female and 2 males vying for her favor. They're vocal and chase around together most of the time. I've never noticed any breeding activity before around my home, only ever in the sagebrush fringes of Reno and Carson City, but maybe this summer will be different.
Brian Adams

Back to top
Date: 3/27/18 7:46 pm
From: Carl Lundblad <carl.lundblad...>
Subject: YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER in Wells (Elko Co.)
This afternoon I found a young female YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER near Wells
Town Park in Elko Co. Specifically, it was in the trio of Ponderosa Pines
alongside the LDS church 100 feet northwest of the park on Baker Street. I
previously found a young female Yellow-bellied Sapsucker at the same
general location on 20 April 2015. Photos in my eBird checklist:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44017109.

Good Birding,

Carl Lundblad
Moscow, ID

Back to top
Date: 3/27/18 4:56 pm
From: Rick/Meg Andrews <andrews2727...>
Subject: Churchill County birding
It was just too beautiful a day to stay home, so I birded around Fallon. I started at Fitz Lane near Stillwater, where the herony was going strong--hard to count the Great Blue Herons, because of the constant coming and going, but I am sure there were at least 40 birds either guarding nests, or actively repairing nests. Further on Fitz I saw several hundred swallows, mostly Tree Swallows, feeding over a field. There were more swallows at Harmon Reservoir, including a few Violet-Green, Barn, and Northern Rough-Winged.

I then headed out to Carson Lake, and as Rob had mentioned, most of the roads to the normal birding spots were closed. The amount of water out there is amazing! It makes birding more difficult, but it is great for both the migrating birds and the breeding birds. Due to the distances, a scope is highly recommended. The best birding was in an area that normally doesn't have water--from the sign-in kiosk, drive straight for 1 mile, then turn right. This road is narrow, with rather soft dirt, and would not be suitable for any vehicle with low clearance (I almost got high-centered in my Subaru). However, there is plenty of room to turn around at the end of the road. Just remember to close your windows when you stop your car. The clouds of midges were impressive! I saw Marbled Godwits, Long-billed Curlews, White-faced Ibis, Long-billed Dowitchers, Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, many Killdeer, lots of dabbling ducks, and plenty of Snow Geese and American White Pelicans.

I checked several locations for Swainson's Hawks, but didn't see any. I know they are migrating in northern California now, so some should be around.

I took the road to Pyramid Lake (but didn't stop there); however, I did have a nice look at a Burrowing Owl on Range Land Road.

Meg Andrews
Reno

Back to top
Date: 3/26/18 10:13 am
From: Darlene Feener <darlenemfeener...>
A beautiful morning to be out birding. (47) species seen @ Discovery Park and (6) additional species in other areas of Pahrump for a total of (53) species for today.

Discovery Park species: (47)

Snow Goose
Canada Goose
Blue-winged Teal
Cinnamon Teal
Northern Shoveler
American Wigeon
Mallard
Green-winged Teal
Redhead
Ruddy Duck
Gambel's Quail
Pied-billed Grebe
Black-crowned Night-Heron
Turkey Vulture
Cooper's Hawk
Red-shouldered Hawk
American Coot
Killdeer
Rock Pigeon (feral pigeon)
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Mourning Dove
Anna's Hummingbird
Ladder-backed Woodpecker
American Kestrel
Say's Phoebe
Vermilion Flycatcher
Common Raven
Cliff Swallow
Verdin
Bewick's Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
American Robin
Crissal Thrasher
Northern Mockingbird
European Starling
Phainopepla
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Dark-eyed Junco
White-crowned Sparrow
Yellow-headed Blackbird
Western Meadowlark
Red-winged Blackbird
Great-tailed Grackle
House Finch
Lesser Goldfinch
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow

Other areas of Pahrump: (6) species

Double-crested Cormorant
Red-tailed Hawk
Peregrine Falcon
Black Phoebe
Western Bluebird
Chipping Sparrow

By Darlene Feener
<darlenemfeener...>

Back to top
Date: 3/26/18 10:10 am
From: nevadabird <nevadabird...>
Subject: Re: Microphone

We don't have anything like this, but I would vote to purchase .

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone