NVBirds
Received From Subject
3/24/24 8:31 am Michelle Baker <000001d572f2d2bf-dmarc-request...> Henderson Bird Viewing preserve Weekly Bird List
3/16/24 7:53 am Jeff Bleam <jcbleam...> LAS Field Trip - Whites Creek Canyon
3/10/24 8:01 pm Jim <jim.woods...> Re: Turkey Vultures arriving
3/10/24 7:54 pm Dennis Serdehely <birders...> Re: Turkey Vultures arriving
3/10/24 7:02 pm David Shen <dctshen...> Re: Turkey Vultures arriving
3/10/24 6:18 pm Brian Adams <bra356...> Re: Turkey Vultures arriving
3/10/24 5:41 pm Rose Strickland <rosenreno...> Turkey Vultures arriving
3/10/24 8:28 am Michelle Baker <000001d572f2d2bf-dmarc-request...> Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve, Weekly Bird List
3/4/24 9:50 am Michelle Baker <000001d572f2d2bf-dmarc-request...> Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve - Weekly Bird List

Back to top
Date: 3/24/24 8:31 am
From: Michelle Baker <000001d572f2d2bf-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Henderson Bird Viewing preserve Weekly Bird List
The property is on the north side of Galleria Dr., just west of the Animal Shelter, between Ward Dr. and Moser Dr. Phone 702 267 4180.
Operating hours for September 1 - May 31, we are open 7 a.m. - 2 p.m. Last entry 1:30 p.m.
The following birds were seen or heard (H) and confirmed by staff: March 18-24, 2024

Canada Goose, Wood Duck, American Wigeon, Mallard, Blue-winged Teal, Cinnamon Teal, Northern Shoveler, Green-winged Teal, Redhead, Ring-necked Duck, Lesser Scaup, Bufflehead, Common Goldeneye, Ruddy Duck

Gambel's Quail, Pied-billed Grebe, Eared Grebe, Double-crested Cormorant, American White Pelican

Snowy Egret, Black-crowned Night Heron, White-faced Ibis, Turkey Vulture, Northern Harrier, Cooper's Hawk

Sora, Common Gallinule, American Coot, Killdeer, Black-necked Stilt, American Avocet, Spotted Sandpiper, Least Sandpiper, Wilson's Snipe, Ring-billed Gull

Mourning Dove, Greater Roadrunner

Anna's Hummingbird, Costa's Hummingbird, Northern Flicker, Black Phoebe, Says Phoebe, Vermillion Flycatcher, N. Rough-winged Swallow

Verdin, Marsh Wren, Black-tailed Gnatcatcher, Northern Mockingbird, Crissal Thrasher, American Pipit

Orange-crowned Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Abert's Towhee, Song Sparrow, Lincoln's Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrow

Red-winged Blackbird, Yellow-headed Blackbird, Great-tailed Grackle

House Finch, House Sparrow

61 Species

Happy Birding!

Michelle Baker
Site Lead/Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve

[cid:<image001.png...>]
City of Henderson
Outdoor Recreation
350 E. Galleria Dr., MSC 411
Henderson, NV 89011
<Michelle.Baker...><http://www.cityofhenderson.com/>

[City of Henderson Survey]<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/RRQ7GVR>

PUBLIC RECORDS NOTICE: In accordance with NRS Chapter 239, this email and responses, unless otherwise made confidential by law, may be subject to the Nevada Public Records laws and may be disclosed to the public upon request.

Back to top
Date: 3/16/24 7:53 am
From: Jeff Bleam <jcbleam...>
Subject: LAS Field Trip - Whites Creek Canyon
The walk started cloudy but when the sun came out it warmed nicely. Most
of the walk into the canyon was quiet but at the end we found a nice mixed
flock. For photos and a complete list see the Trip Report.

https://ebird.org/tripreport/212853

Jeff Bleam
Mt Rose Foothills, NV
byjcbphoto.com

Back to top
Date: 3/10/24 8:01 pm
From: Jim <jim.woods...>
Subject: Re: Turkey Vultures arriving
Out birding Sunday with friends and counted 8 TVs soaring toward the Sierras ranging from Fey Canyon to Genoa Peak. 5 Bald Eagles around the calving herds.
Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 10, 2024, at 7:02 PM, David Shen <dctshen...> wrote:
>
> One Turkey Vulture over Reno High on Sat. afternoon.
>
>> On Sun, Mar 10, 2024 at 6:18 PM Brian Adams <bra356...> wrote:
>>
>> Yesterday afternoon (Sat. 9th) there were a half dozen Turkey Vultures
>> flying over lower King's Row in Old NW Reno, which my backyard overlooks.
>>
>> Also 50 to 100 or Cedar Waxwings are in the neighborhood, feeding on
>> hawthorn berries. They seem to like my Norway maple tree as well.
>>
>> Brian Adams

Back to top
Date: 3/10/24 7:54 pm
From: Dennis Serdehely <birders...>
Spring has sprung!
On Sunday, March 10, 2024 at 07:02:47 PM PDT, David Shen <dctshen...> wrote:

One Turkey Vulture over Reno High on Sat. afternoon.

On Sun, Mar 10, 2024 at 6:18 PM Brian Adams <bra356...> wrote:

> Yesterday afternoon (Sat. 9th) there were a half dozen Turkey Vultures
> flying over lower King's Row in Old NW Reno, which my backyard overlooks.
>
> Also 50 to 100 or Cedar Waxwings are in the neighborhood, feeding on
> hawthorn berries. They seem to like my Norway maple tree as well.
>
> Brian Adams

Back to top
Date: 3/10/24 7:02 pm
From: David Shen <dctshen...>
One Turkey Vulture over Reno High on Sat. afternoon.

On Sun, Mar 10, 2024 at 6:18 PM Brian Adams <bra356...> wrote:

> Yesterday afternoon (Sat. 9th) there were a half dozen Turkey Vultures
> flying over lower King's Row in Old NW Reno, which my backyard overlooks.
>
> Also 50 to 100 or Cedar Waxwings are in the neighborhood, feeding on
> hawthorn berries. They seem to like my Norway maple tree as well.
>
> Brian Adams

Back to top

Date: 3/10/24 5:41 pm
From: Rose Strickland <rosenreno...>
Subject: Turkey Vultures arriving
Yesterday, on a trip to Smith Valley and Antelope Valley, we encountered several Turkey Vultures off of Hwy. 395 south of Gardnerville and in Washoe Valley on our return trip. Otherwise, spring migrants were few on a windy cold late winter day. We did encounter many desert birds, including dove, Spotted Towhees, No. Harriers, lots of robins, Red-tailed and Sharp-shinned Hawks, and ravens on the first part of our trip. A treat were the Cassin’s Finches in the Pinyon Juniper woodlands on the east slopes of the Sweetwaters. While the dirt roads we were driving were still a bit muddy from our recent storms and snowmelt, we did find a cross-range road through the northern end of the Sweetwater Range from Smith Valley to Antelope Valley, through Pinyon Juniper woodlands - good habitat for Pinyon Jays..

We were surprised at the diversity of ducks at Topaz Lake - Bufflehead, Ruddy Duck, No. Shoverlers, Gadwall, Green-winged and Cinnamon Teal, and Lesser Scaup. In addition, there were Canada Goose around the shoreline and in the pastures surrounding the Lake, a flock of California gulls, Western and Eared Grebes, Say’s Phoebe, magpies, shrikes, a Black Phoebe and a scrub-jay (CA or Woodhouse?).

Rose Strickland,
Reno

Back to top
Date: 3/10/24 8:28 am
From: Michelle Baker <000001d572f2d2bf-dmarc-request...>
The property is on the north side of Galleria Dr., just west of the Animal Shelter, between Ward Dr. and Moser Dr. Phone 702 267 4180.

Operating hours for September 1 - May 31, we are open 7 a.m. - 2 p.m. Last entry 1:30 p.m.

The following birds were seen or heard (H) and confirmed by staff: March 4 -10, 2024

Snow Goose (flyover), Canada Goose, Wood Duck, American Wigeon, Mallard, Blue-winged Teal, Cinnamon Teal, Northern Shoveler, Green-winged Teal, Redhead, Ring-necked Duck, Lesser Scaup, Bufflehead, Common Goldeneye, Ruddy Duck

Gambel's Quail, Pied-billed Grebe, Eared Grebe, Clark's Grebe, Double-crested Cormorant

Least Bittern, White-faced Ibis, Turkey Vulture (flyover), Northern Harrier, Cooper's Hawk, Red-tailed Hawk (flyover)

Virginia Rail, Sora, Common Gallinule, American Coot, American Avocet, Long-billed Dowitcher, Wilson's Snipe, Ring-billed Gull

Rock Pigeon, Mourning Dove, Greater Roadrunner

Anna's Hummingbird, Costa's Hummingbird, Ladderback Woodpecker, Northern Flicker, Black Phoebe, Says Phoebe, Vermillion Flycatcher, Common Raven, N. Rough-winged Swallow

Verdin, Marsh Wren, Black-tailed Gnatcatcher, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Crissal Thrasher, American Pipit

Orange-crowned Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Abert's Towhee, Song Sparrow, Lincoln's Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrow

Red-winged Blackbird, Great-tailed Grackle

House Finch, House Sparrow

62 Species

Date: 3/4/24 9:50 am
From: Michelle Baker <000001d572f2d2bf-dmarc-request...>
The property is on the north side of Galleria Dr., just west of the Animal Shelter, between Ward Dr. and Moser Dr. Phone 702 267 4180.

Operating hours for September 1 - May 31, we are open 7 a.m. - 2 p.m. Last entry 1:30 p.m.

The following birds were seen or heard (H) and confirmed by staff: Feb. 26 - March 3, 2024

Canada Goose, Wood Duck, Mallard, Blue-winged Teal, Cinnamon Teal, Northern Shoveler, Green-winged Teal, Redhead, Ring-necked Duck, Lesser Scaup, Bufflehead, Common Goldeneye, Ruddy Duck

Gambel's Quail, Pied-billed Grebe, Eared Grebe, Clark's Grebe, Yellow-billed Loon, Double-crested Cormorant

Least Bittern, Snowy Egret, Green Heron, Northern Harrier, Cooper's Hawk

Virginia Rail, Sora, Common Gallinule, American Coot, Black-necked Stilt, American Avocet, Spotted Sandpiper, Wilson's Snipe, Ring-billed Gull, California Gull

Mourning Dove, Greater Roadrunner

Anna's Hummingbird, Costa's Hummingbird, Ladderback Woodpecker, Northern Flicker, Black Phoebe, Says Phoebe, Vermillion Flycatcher, Tree Swallow, N. Rough-winged Swallow

Verdin, Marsh Wren, Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher, Black-tailed Gnatcatcher, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Crissal Thrasher, American Pipit

Orange-crowned Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Abert's Towhee, Song Sparrow, Lincoln's Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrow

Red-winged Blackbird, Yellow-headed Blackbird, Great-tailed Grackle

House Finch, Lesser Goldfinch, House Sparrow

64 Species

Happy Birding!

Michelle Baker
Site Lead/Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve
350 E. Galleria Dr., MSC 411
Henderson, NV 89011
<Michelle.Baker...><http://www.cityofhenderson.com/>

[City of Henderson Survey]<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/RRQ7GVR>

PUBLIC RECORDS NOTICE: In accordance with NRS Chapter 239, this email and responses, unless otherwise made confidential by law, may be subject to the Nevada Public Records laws and may be disclosed to the public upon request.

Join us on Facebook!