NVBirds
Received From Subject
7/5/20 3:35 pm Darlene Feener <darlenemfeener...> Discovery Park: Pahrump, Nv. (Nye County)
7/4/20 3:56 pm Rob Lowry <00000002625e15f9-dmarc-request...> Clark County Wetlands-Mississippi Kite, Yellow-Billed Cuckoo(s?), and Chats
7/4/20 9:27 am philohela17 <philohela17...> Mississippi Kite at Wetlands Park continues
7/3/20 11:49 am Martin Meyers <NevadaBirdRecords...> Bronzed Cowbird is a Nevada review species
7/3/20 11:07 am Scott Page <desertvu...> MS Kite and Bronzed Cowbird at Wetlands Park
7/3/20 10:37 am ben zyla <theloraxx365...> Re: BRONZED COWBIRD at Clark County Wetlands Park
7/3/20 9:37 am justin streit <000000260acb25c4-dmarc-request...> BRONZED COWBIRD at Clark County Wetlands Park
7/2/20 11:05 am Ben Zyla <Theloraxx365...> MISSISSIPPI KITE continues at Clark County Wetlands Park
7/1/20 7:13 pm Martin Meyers <Martin...> Mississippi Kite reports from the "Waht's App" Gamblin' Quails group
7/1/20 7:05 pm Martin Meyers <NevadaBirdRecords...> NBRC information about Mississippi Kites in Nevada
7/1/20 2:34 pm Greg Scyphers <scyph...> Mississippi Kite
7/1/20 9:21 am fairleysub <fairleysub...> Lazuli Bunting, Tahoe
7/1/20 6:21 am Jeff Bleam <jcbleam...> Hummingbirds
6/30/20 5:02 pm Dennis Serdehely <birders...> Rufous Hummingbird
6/30/20 6:35 am Charlene Clark <0000010f33236d20-dmarc-request...> BVP Bird List 6/22-6/28/2020
6/28/20 12:32 pm Darlene Feener <darlenemfeener...> Discovery Park: Pahrump, Nv. (Nye County)
6/27/20 4:37 pm Rob Lowry <00000002625e15f9-dmarc-request...> Black and White Warbler, Empire Ranch Golf Course
6/26/20 7:18 am Rick/Meg Andrews <andrews2727...> Black and white warbler
6/25/20 3:47 pm Martin Meyers <NevadaBirdRecords...> "Mexican" Mallard removed from state review list
6/25/20 11:06 am Rob Lowry <00000002625e15f9-dmarc-request...> Re: Black-and-white Warbler at Empire Ranch (Carson City)
6/25/20 9:47 am Nick Rosen <nicholasgibsonrosen...> Black-and-white Warbler at Empire Ranch (Carson City)
6/22/20 10:39 am Charlene Clark <0000010f33236d20-dmarc-request...> Bird List 6/15-6/21/2020
6/22/20 10:36 am Charlene Clark <0000010f33236d20-dmarc-request...> Bird List 6/15-6/21
6/20/20 4:27 pm Darlene Feener <darlenemfeener...> Discovery Park: Pahrump, Nv. (Nye County)
6/19/20 6:14 pm Martin Meyers <NevadaBirdRecords...> Tropical Kingbird and Prairie Warbler are Nevada review species.
6/19/20 5:33 am Rick/Meg Andrews <andrews2727...> Mill Creek Canyon, Shoshone Range, Lander County
6/18/20 8:06 pm Jeanne Tinsman <philohela17...> Please - stay on the trails at Corn Creek, Desert NWR
6/18/20 6:27 pm philohela17 <philohela17...> Common Nighthawk heard at Desert NWR this evening
6/18/20 9:13 am Lynn <lynduncan...> Gray Partridge
6/17/20 3:12 pm Ben Zyla <theloraxx365...> TROPICAL, Cassin's, and Western KIngbirds at Corn Creek, DNWR
6/17/20 6:07 am Charlene Clark <0000010f33236d20-dmarc-request...> Bird List 6/8-6-14
6/15/20 10:58 pm Rob Lowry <00000002625e15f9-dmarc-request...> Re: Desatoya Mountains, Late May
6/15/20 7:36 pm David Shen <dctshen...> Re: Desatoya Mountains, Late May
6/15/20 12:44 pm David Worley <daveworl...> Correction onf Desatoyas eBird checklist
6/15/20 12:06 pm David Worley <daveworl...> Desatoya Mountains, Late May
6/15/20 10:52 am Paul Hurtado <paul.j.hurtado...> Re: Painted Redstarts NEST BUILDING in the narrows past Fletcher Springs
6/14/20 7:49 pm Darlene Feener <darlenemfeener...> Discovery Park: Pahrump, Nv. (Nye County)
6/14/20 11:14 am Karen Havlena <000000fb2f11d97c-dmarc-request...> Bobolinks in Lamoille
6/14/20 9:22 am Jeanne Tinsman <philohela17...> Black-throated Blue Warbler, adult male, at Corn Creek, Desert NWR 2020-06-14
6/13/20 7:50 pm Ben Zyla <theloraxx365...> REQUEST TO NOT POST DIRECTIONS TO BIRD NESTS, ESPECIALLY RARE SPECIES
6/13/20 12:30 pm Scott Clemson <clemzone11...> re PARE nest
6/13/20 11:32 am ben zyla <theloraxx365...> Re: Painted Redstarts NEST BUILDING in the narrows past Fletcher Springs
6/12/20 9:13 pm Brian Adams <bra356...> Re: Congratulations, Carl Lundblad!
6/12/20 9:10 pm Brian Adams <bra356...> Re: Washoe County Rare (Vaux' Swift)
6/12/20 8:24 pm Paul Hurtado <paul.j.hurtado...> Painted Redstarts NEST BUILDING in the narrows past Fletcher Springs
6/12/20 5:48 pm Martin Meyers <martin...> Congratulations, Carl Lundblad!
6/12/20 12:39 pm Jeff Bleam <jcbleam...> Washoe County Rare
6/12/20 12:25 pm Bob Goodman <0000005532510179-dmarc-request...> Behavior
6/11/20 10:43 am Alan de Queiroz <dqalan...> Parula near Verdi
6/11/20 10:32 am Alan de Queiroz <dqalan...> N Parula warbler near Verdi
6/9/20 9:10 am Rick/Meg Andrews <andrews2727...> Painted Redstart in 6 Mile Canyon, Storey County, contiues
6/8/20 3:35 pm Greg Scyphers <scyph...> Painted Redstart continues in Storey
6/8/20 2:02 pm Nick Rosen <nicholasgibsonrosen...> Painted Redstart followup
6/8/20 10:49 am Emma Rosen <erosen950...> PAINTED REDSTART - 6 mile canyon (storey co)
6/8/20 6:46 am Charlene Clark <0000010f33236d20-dmarc-request...> BVP Bird List 6/1-6/7
6/7/20 3:48 pm Darlene Feener <darlenemfeener...> Discovery Park: Pahrump, Nv. (Nye County)
6/7/20 12:26 pm Martin Meyers <NevadaBirdRecords...> Note on the report of Hepatic Tanager
6/7/20 11:50 am Martin Meyers <NevadaBirdRecords...> Hepatic Tanager eBird report

Back to top
Date: 7/5/20 3:35 pm
From: Darlene Feener <darlenemfeener...>
Subject: Discovery Park: Pahrump, Nv. (Nye County)
There were (42) species seen in six different areas of Discovery Park this morning.

Greater White-fronted-Goose
Canada Goose
Mallard
Ruddy Duck
Gambel's Quail
Pied-billed Grebe
Eared Grebe
Rock Pigeon (feral)
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Mourning Dove
Black chinned Hummingbird
Anna's Hummingbird
American Coot
Killdeer
Spotted Sandpiper
Great Blue-Heron
Black crowned Night-Heron
Turkey Vulture
Cooper's Hawk
Red-shouldered Hawk
Red tailed Hawk
Ladder-backed Woodpecker
American Kestrel
Black Phoebe
Vermilion Flycatcher
Western Kingbird
American Crow
Common Raven
Verdin
Bewick's Wren
European Starling
Northern Mockingbird
American Robin
Cedar Waxwing
Phainopepla
House Sparrow
House Finch
Lesser Goldfinch
Yellow headed Blackbird
Hooded Oriole
Red-winged Blackbird
Great-tailed Grackle

Back to top
Date: 7/4/20 3:56 pm
From: Rob Lowry <00000002625e15f9-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Clark County Wetlands-Mississippi Kite, Yellow-Billed Cuckoo(s?), and Chats
Hello!
As previously reported on NV Birds and on eBird, the Mississippi Kite and a Yellow-Billed Cuckoo were observed today at the Clark County Wetlands. When I arrived at the Kite location (by Vern's Pond) at around 6:15 AM, the Kite was calmly sitting out in the open on a dead branch next to the trail. It sat there for a good 25 minutes or so before flying over to the east a bit into another tree with dead branches up high. It sat there for about another 10 minutes before flying off, circling around, and eating a dragonfly on the wing.
While in that area, on 2 occasions, I thought that I heard the knocking of a Yellow-Billed Cuckoo for a second or two. I immediately stopped walking and listened more but didn't hear anything more. Then a few minutes later, I met a couple of birders who said that they heard and then saw a Cuckoo. We looked around for about 20 minutes but didn't have any luck.
While looking at the Kite, I saw a flock of 4 Brown-Headed Cowbirds perched in the bare limbs of a tree and 5 or 6 flew up to join them. One of the birds looked all dark and slightly bigger than the other Cowbirds. Just as I raised my binoculars to see if it perhaps was the Bronzed Cowbird that Daniel Mitev saw yesterday, the whole flock flew off. I looked around Vern's Pond for the flock but only saw a couple of Brown-Headed Cowbirds.
I have never heard or seen so many Yellow-Breasted Chats in one area before, even when living back east. The entire time that I was there this morning, there were always at least 2 calling with many times the birds out in the open. At one point, I saw 3 different calling birds and heard another 2 birds all at the same time. I guessed that I observed about 8 Chats total but it easily could have been more.
After getting a quick lunch, I decided to go back to see if I could find the Yellow-Billed Cuckoo that I thought that I heard and eventually were reported this morning on eBird by several birders. Just before 2 PM, I heard one calling on the east side of the trail around the east side of Vern's Pond. I walked closer to the area of calling when a Cuckoo flew out and landed on a branch north of where it was calling. I had great looks through my binoculars but could not get a decent photo as it was tucked back into the leaves. It called some more and then flew into the trees farther north and away from me. Not even 5-10 seconds later, I heard a Cuckoo call from the tree directly in front of me. I don't think that it was possible for that bird to be the first bird that I saw (unless it flew around back to that area in warp speed without me seeing any movement). The calling bird in front of me eventually flew out from the trees a short distance to the northwest into a small isolated grove of cottonwoods. It called from deep in the willows by the cottonwoods for a minute or so before I left. With the temperature showing over 110 degrees, it was time to go. Even in that heat when I went back after lunch, there were still several Chats calling and perched out in the open.
Rob LowryCarson City

Back to top
Date: 7/4/20 9:27 am
From: philohela17 <philohela17...>
Subject: Mississippi Kite at Wetlands Park continues
We just watched the Mississippi Kite (about 9:05 am for about ten minutes) above and around the Boardwalk (turtle) Pond at the Clark County Wetlands Park.  It was soaring high, catching and eating dragonflies. Jeanne Tinsman and Kevin DesRobertsLas Vegas,  NVSent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Back to top
Date: 7/3/20 11:49 am
From: Martin Meyers <NevadaBirdRecords...>
Subject: Bronzed Cowbird is a Nevada review species
I've already contacted Scott and Daniel, but in case the bird shows up
again, just a reminder that Bronzed Cowbird is on the state review
list.  Documentation desired.  (Of course, the same for the Mississippi
Kite.)

Also, I will be adding Mexican Duck to the Nevada state checklist today,
based on the decision to split it from Mallard announced by the AOS.  It
will not be placed on the state review list, as explained in a recent
listserv post.

Martin

Martin Meyers
Secretary, Nevada Bird Records Committee (NBRC)
Website: https://www.gbbo.org/nbrc
Email: NevadaBirdRecords ***AT SIGN*** gbbo *** DOT *** org

Back to top
Date: 7/3/20 11:07 am
From: Scott Page <desertvu...>
Subject: MS Kite and Bronzed Cowbird at Wetlands Park
While enjoying the Mississippi Kite with Daniel Mitev this morning, July 3, 2020 about 0700, we had a flock of about 5 brown-headed cowbirds fly onto a snag about 15 feet from the very unwary kite. One of them was a Bronzed Cowbird, easily overlooked until binoculars were raised, then unmistakable with the ruby red iris. The kite posed almost motionless for about an hour on the snag while the Bronzed Cowbird left in a matter of seconds with the Brown-headed Flock. Recommend checking all cowbird flocks for Bronzed.

It was an incredible moment to say the least.

Photos of kite along with Bronzed Cowbird comparison to Brown-headed Cowbird attached: https://ebird.org/checklist/S71090707

Back to top
Date: 7/3/20 10:37 am
From: ben zyla <theloraxx365...>
Subject: Re: BRONZED COWBIRD at Clark County Wetlands Park
Negative report sof the Bronzed Cowbird after initial sighting.

The MIKI was in usual spot until about 0800 where it flew North (relayed to me) and out of sight. Unsure if still in area.

Saw the Titus(es) this morning which is always a pleasure.

BZ

________________________________

Date: 7/2/20 11:05 am
From: Ben Zyla <Theloraxx365...>
Subject: MISSISSIPPI KITE continues at Clark County Wetlands Park
Hey All,

If you aren't on the local What's App, NV Birding Facebook page, ebird, and still have a land line or flip phone......

I have gotten reports that the MIKI was still being seen this morning. I am out of town currently.

BZ

Back to top
Date: 7/1/20 7:13 pm
From: Martin Meyers <Martin...>
Subject: Mississippi Kite reports from the "Waht's App" Gamblin' Quails group

Just a note to tell those of you on this listserv but not on the
Gamblin' Quails messaging app -- the Mississippi Kite has been reported
as still being present at the Clark County Wetlands Park as late as
about 6:30 p.m.

Martin
---------------
Martin Meyers
email: Martin (...AT...) SierraBirdbum.com
Photo website: http://SierraBirdbum.com
Truckee, CA

Back to top
Date: 7/1/20 7:05 pm
From: Martin Meyers <NevadaBirdRecords...>
Subject: NBRC information about Mississippi Kites in Nevada
There are eleven NBRC-endorsed records for Mississippi Kite in Nevada.
Clark County has eight of those eleven, with five at Corn Creek.  The
earliest record for which the NBRC had documentation was from 6/6/1986
(Corn Creek.)  Sticking with Corn Creek, the other endorsed records are
from 5/16/1992, 5/14/1993, 5/21/2003, and 5/21/2015 (the most recent
endorsed record anywhere in Nevada.)

Clark County Wetlands Park, where today's bird has been seen, has one
endorsed record from 5/16/2012.  The 2015 record from Corn Creek and
this 2012 record from Wetlands Park are the only two from the last ten
years in Nevada.

The other Clark County endorsed records are one from the "Henderson
Tailing Ponds", 8/5/2001 and one from Warm Springs Natural Area, 6/6/2001,

Away from Clark County, there is one endorsed record from Nye County
(Tonopah -- at,the location formerly known as Highland Park, 5/17/2003.)
And Lincoln County has two endorsed records, one from Meadow Valley Wash
(7/12/2009) and one from Pahranagat NWR (5/18/2000.)

Interesting to note that all records are between the middle of May and
early August, with most in May (7), two in June, one in July, and one in
August.

I anxiously await written documentation and photos from those fortunate
enough and persistent enough to observe today's bird.

Date: 7/1/20 2:34 pm
From: Greg Scyphers <scyph...>
Subject: Mississippi Kite
A Mississippi Kite was seen today at Clark County Wetlands Park in Las Vegas (not by me). Apparently, no one has been able to relocate the bird as is typical with wayward Mississippi Kites in Nevada. I just thought that other birders in Nevada that aren't part of the Gamblin Quails WhatsApp text group may want to know.

Greg Scyphers
Sparks, NV

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 7/1/20 9:21 am
From: fairleysub <fairleysub...>
Subject: Lazuli Bunting, Tahoe
Male Lazuli Bunting seen along Chimney Creek on June 30 (Lake Tahoe, Washoe County). Also Warbling Vireo .

Pete Fairley

Back to top
Date: 7/1/20 6:21 am
From: Jeff Bleam <jcbleam...>
Subject: Hummingbirds
Yesterday I had 3 Calliope Hummingbirds a female, male, and an immature
male. The day before I had 2 BCHU (female and male), 2 ANHU (female and
male), and the same 3 CAHU I saw yesterday.

Jeff Bleam
Mt Rose Foothills, NV
byjcbphoto.com

Back to top
Date: 6/30/20 5:02 pm
From: Dennis Serdehely <birders...>
Subject: Rufous Hummingbird
Our first of the season Rufous Hummingbird showed up at our feeders today. This is our earliest record. The previous being 7/5/17.
Dennis Serdehely

Back to top
Date: 6/30/20 6:35 am
From: Charlene Clark <0000010f33236d20-dmarc-request...>
Subject: BVP Bird List 6/22-6/28/2020
During June we will open at 6 AM, close at 12 PM, last entry 11:30. Please wear a hat and sunscreen and have water with you on the preserve. We have Purell, insect repellant and sunscreen available. Masks are MANDATORY when entering the building, we have them available as you enter.

The property is on the north side of Galleria Dr., just west of the Animal Shelter, between Ward Dr. and Moser Dr. Phone 702 267 4180.

The following birds were seen or heard (H) and confirmed by staff June 22-28.

Canada Goose, Wood Duck, Gadwall, Mallard, Cinnamon Teal, Redhead, Ring-necked Duck, Ruddy Duck

Gambel's Quail, Pied-billed Grebe, Horned Grebe, Eared Grebe, Western Grebe, Clark's Grebe

Double-crested Cormorant, Green Heron, Black-crowned Night Heron

White-faced Ibis, Common Gallinule, American Coot

Killdeer, Black-necked Stilt. American Avocet, Wilson's Phalarope, Red-necked Phalarope

Mourning Dove

Greater Roadrunner, Lesser Nighthawk

Black-chinned Hummingbird, Anna's Hummingbird, Costa's Hummingbird

American Kestrel, Black Phoebe, Say's Phoebe

Verdin, Black-tailed Gnatcatcher

Northern Mockingbird

Yellow-headed Blackbird, Great-tailed Grackle

House Finch

39 species

Happy Birding!
Charlene Clark
Site Lead
Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve
350 E. Galleria Dr.
Henderson, NV 89015
702-267-4180

Back to top
Date: 6/28/20 12:32 pm
From: Darlene Feener <darlenemfeener...>
There were (41) species of birds seen this morning. Blowing wind and sand at times.

Greater White-fronted Goose
Canada Goose
Mallard
Ruddy Duck
Gambel's Quail
Eared Grebe
Pied-billed Grebe
Great Blue Heron
Black-crowned Night-Heron
Turkey Vulture
Red-shouldered Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
American Coot
Killdeer
Black-necked Stilt
Rock Pigeon (feral)
Mourning Dove
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Anna's Hummingbird
Black-chinned Hummingbird
American Kestrel
Black Phoebe
Say' Phoebe
Vermilion Flycatcher
Western Kingbird
Common Raven
American Crow
Verdin
Bewick's Wren
American Robin
Northern Mockingbird
Crissal Thrasher
European Starling
Phainopepla
Great-tailed Grackle
Red-winged Blackbird
Yellow-headed Blackbird
Hooded Oriole
House Finch
Lesser Goldfinch
House Sparrow

Back to top
Date: 6/27/20 4:37 pm
From: Rob Lowry <00000002625e15f9-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Black and White Warbler, Empire Ranch Golf Course
At around 3:40 PM today, Emma Cox, Hannah Roodenrijs, and I observed the Black and White Warbler in the same general location where it was originally reported. With the strong winds, it was battened down within some smaller trees/bushes on the west side of the trail along the pond just before the taller trees where it was originally observed.
Rob LowryCarson City

Back to top
Date: 6/26/20 7:18 am
From: Rick/Meg Andrews <andrews2727...>
Subject: Black and white warbler
Continues at the same location in Carson CityMeg Andrews renpSent from AT&T Yahoo Mail on Android

Back to top
Date: 6/25/20 3:47 pm
From: Martin Meyers <NevadaBirdRecords...>
Subject: "Mexican" Mallard removed from state review list
The NBRC has just completed its reviews on a packet containing
documentation on eight "Mexican" Mallards (Anas platyrhynchos diazi).
Six of the records were endorsed, one was not endorsed, and one will go
to a second round of reviews (on a vote of 4-2).  Since the six endorsed
records are all within the past ten years, the taxa has been removed
from the state review list, based on the "five in past ten years" rule.

The committee bylaws permit (but do not require) reviewing "rare"
subspecies of species that are otherwise not rare in the state, if that
subspecies has ever been considered a full species (which is the case
for "Mexican" Mallard) by the AOS (formerly AOU), or is currently
considered a full species by a similar international organization. (By
the way, it is considered a species by eBird since they do not follow
the AOS decisions but rely on Clements. So if you've seen a "Mexican
Duck" and entered it as such in eBird, or, for that matter, if you've
entered "Mallard" from within the range where Mexican Duck is the
expected one, you have probably been given a new lifer by eBird.  If you
follow ABA rules, you don't get one -- ABA, and, for that matter, the
NBRC, follow AOS decisions.)

The only other subspecies on our review list is the nominate (Eurasian)
race of Green-winged Teal (Anas crecca crecca), for which we have four
endorsed records, although only one is within the "most recent 10 year"
window.

For those of you who submitted documentation on the "Mexican" Mallards,
you'll receive an email today with the committee results.  Thanks to all
who submitted the documentation.

Date: 6/25/20 11:06 am
From: Rob Lowry <00000002625e15f9-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: Black-and-white Warbler at Empire Ranch (Carson City)
Still present and singing at the same location as of 10:40 AM
Rob LowryCarson City

Date: 6/22/20 10:39 am
From: Charlene Clark <0000010f33236d20-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Bird List 6/15-6/21/2020
During June we will open at 6 AM, close at 12 PM, last entry 11:30. Please wear a hat and sunscreen and have water with you on the preserve. We have Purell, insect repellant and sunscreen available. Masks are recommended, but not mandatory... we have them available at the desk.

The property is on the north side of Galleria Dr., just west of the Animal Shelter, between Ward Dr. and Moser Dr. Phone 702 267 4180.

The following birds were seen or heard (H) and confirmed by staff June 15- June 21st.

Canada Goose, Wood Duck, Gadwall, Mallard, (with ducklings), Cinnamon Teal, Redhead, Ring-necked Duck, Ruddy Duck (with ducklings)

Gambel's Quail, Pied-billed Grebe, Horned Grebe, Eared Grebe, Western Grebe

Double-crested Cormorant, Green Heron, Black-crowned Night Heron

White-faced Ibis, Turkey Vulture, Common Gallinule, American Coot

Killdeer, Black-necked Stilt. American Avocet

Eurasian Collared Dove, Mourning Dove

Greater Roadrunner

Black-chinned Hummingbird, Anna's Hummingbird, Costa's Hummingbird

American Kestrel, Black Phoebe, Say's Phoebe

Northern Rough-winged Swallow

Verdin, Black-tailed Gnatcatcher

Northern Mockingbird, Crissal Thrasher

Yellow, Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler

Abert's Towhee

Yellow-headed Blackbird, Great-tailed Grackle, Brown-headed Cowbird

House Finch

44 species

Date: 6/22/20 10:36 am
From: Charlene Clark <0000010f33236d20-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Bird List 6/15-6/21
[...]

[cid:<image001.jpg...>]

Back to top
Date: 6/20/20 4:27 pm
From: Darlene Feener <darlenemfeener...>
40 species of birds were seen this morning on Discovery Park.

Greater White-fronted Goose
Canada Goose
Mallard
Ruddy Duck
Gambel's Quail
Eared Grebe
Pied-billed Grebe
Great Blue Heron
Black-crowned Night-Heron
Turkey Vulture
Cooper's Hawk
Red-shouldered Hawk (1 adult and 3 immature)
American Coot
Killdeer
Rock Pigeon (feral pigeon)
Mourning Dove
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Greater Roadrunner
Anna's Hummingbird
Black-chinned Hummingbird
American Kestrel
Black Phoebe
Say's Phoebe
Vermilion Flycatcher
Western Kingbird
Common Raven
American Crow
Verdin
Bewick's Wren
American Robin
Northern Mockingbird
Crissal Thrasher
Phainopepla
Lucy's Warbler
Great-tailed Grackle
Yellow-headed Blackbird
Hooded Oriole
House Finch
Lesser Goldfinch
House Sparrow

Back to top
Date: 6/19/20 6:14 pm
From: Martin Meyers <NevadaBirdRecords...>
Subject: Tropical Kingbird and Prairie Warbler are Nevada review species.
Hi, all,

Documentation on these two species should be sent to the NBRC. Ben Zyla,
the finder of the TRKI (and a member of the NBRC) will be sending his
documentation, and I have contacted Andrew Lee, original finder of the
Prairie Warbler, but others have reported observing these birds, and
rarities like these can always benefit from additional input.

Thanks,

Date: 6/19/20 5:33 am
From: Rick/Meg Andrews <andrews2727...>
Subject: Mill Creek Canyon, Shoshone Range, Lander County
I have been meaning to check out this area for years, and I finally got around to it yesterday.  The Mill Creek campground had a terrible fire a few years ago, destroying  most of the large cottonwoods, but it is starting to look a little better now.  However, I was interested in the canyon above the campground.  I drove up the road for 7.7 miles, which most of the time followed the creek bed.  The creek was running nicely, and in a few places the birds would come to drink and bathe.  Plus the willows and cottonwoods along the creek were full of birds, and the mountainsides had P/J and sagebrush.  The road itself is one of the nicest dirt roads I have ever been on, wide, well-graded, and only one other vehicle seen.  Nothing too unusual, but it was an excellent place to spend a morning.  The area is reached by driving 19.4 miles south of Battle Mountain on Hwy. 306 ; look for the "Mill Creek Rec area" sign.  My eBird checklist is at https://ebird.org/checklist/S70591729
MegAndrewsReno

Back to top
Date: 6/18/20 8:06 pm
From: Jeanne Tinsman <philohela17...>
Subject: Please - stay on the trails at Corn Creek, Desert NWR
Hello:

I have a favor to ask. Not so much for me, but for the birds we all love,
or at least enjoy watching.

When visiting Corn Creek at Desert National Wildlife Refuge (Clark County),
please stay on the trails.

Understandably, the lure of a rare vagrant is difficult to resist.
Especially when a number of protected areas in the southern part of the
state were closed during our favorite season, migration. Everyone's
anxious to get back out and find what is there, and certainly there have
been some interesting birds around in the last few days.

Please remember that Corn Creek is part of a refuge, a place where birds
and other creatures can find cover, water, and food. A place of rest. A
place to nest! There are species of birds (and herps and insects) that are
breeding there. We need to let that happen. As stated in the American
Birding Association's Code of Birding Ethics
<https://www.aba.org/aba-code-of-birding-ethics/>: "Always minimize habitat
disturbance. Consider the benefits of staying on trails, preserving snags,
and similar practices." (Click the link above for the full code.)

At Corn Creek, please stay on designated trails, and avoid using social
trails or crossing through habitat. By going off trail, humans destroy
habitat (even desert soils are habitat), and leave scent for predators to
follow.

For this reason, for Corn Creek - love not only the birds, or the checkmark
on your list, but love and respect the land as well. I am sure there are
also other places that would benefit from this mindfulness.

Thank you for your consideration.

Jeanne
*********************************
Jeanne R. Tinsman
Clark County, Nevada
<philohela17...>

Back to top
Date: 6/18/20 6:27 pm
From: philohela17 <philohela17...>
Subject: Common Nighthawk heard at Desert NWR this evening
Hi all:  I just heard a Common Nighthawk above Corn Creek, Desert NWR.  Now to find it among all the Lessers!Jeanne Tinsman Las Vegas, NVSent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Back to top
Date: 6/18/20 9:13 am
From: Lynn <lynduncan...>
Subject: Gray Partridge
Yesterday 6/17/2020, I stopped by to see some old childhood sights on my way from Reno to Lamoille and came across 2 Gray Partridges just west of Carlin. The location is in Eureka County, off I80, on the Palisades exit. They came out of the brush and proceeded to run/fly up ahead and I unfortunately was only able to obtain one blurred photo that was usable to ID the birds.
I stopped by the same location on my way home last evening and could not locate the birds. NDOT did some work on the road yesterday, grading and clearing of the brush so I’m not sure if this affected my ability to relocate the birds. I have posted this sighting on eBird’s.
Happy sightings, Lynn

Sent from my iPad

Back to top
Date: 6/17/20 3:12 pm
From: Ben Zyla <theloraxx365...>
Subject: TROPICAL, Cassin's, and Western KIngbirds at Corn Creek, DNWR
Hey All,

The three mentioned Tyrannus species seen in the orchard this morning, sometimes in the same tree at times.

Tropical seemed to prefer snag and pomegranate tree closest to the pond. Westerns were chasing the Cassin's around as well as a family of Ash-throated(s).

Pictures obtained of all.

Best,

BZ

Back to top
Date: 6/17/20 6:07 am
From: Charlene Clark <0000010f33236d20-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Bird List 6/8-6-14
During June we will open at 6 AM, close at 12 PM, last entry 11:30. Please wear a hat and sunscreen and have water with you on the preserve. We have Purell, insect repellant and sunscreen available. Masks are recommended, but not mandatory... we have them available at the desk.

The property is on the north side of Galleria Dr., just west of the Animal Shelter, between Ward Dr. and Moser Dr. Phone 702 267 4180.

The following birds were seen or heard (H) and confirmed by staff June 8-14.

Canada Goose, Wood Duck, Gadwall, Mallard, (with ducklings), Cinnamon Teal, Redhead, Ring-necked Duck, Ruddy Duck (with ducklings)

Gambel's Quail

Pied-billed Grebe, Eared Grebe, Western Grebe

Double-crested Cormorant

Least Bittern, Green Heron, Black-crowned Night Heron

Common Gallinule, American Coot

Killdeer

BlackAmerican Avocet

Mourning Dove

Greater Roadrunner

Black-chinned Hummingbird, Anna's Hummingbird, Costa's Hummingbird

Black Phoebe, Say's Phoebe, Western Kingbird

Northern Rough-winged Swallow

Verdin

Black-tailed Gnatcatcher, Northern Mockingbird

Crissal Thrasher

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Abert's Towhee

Yellow-headed Blackbird, Great-tailed Grackle

House Finch, House Sparrow

38 species

Happy Birding

Charlene Clark
Site Lead
Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve
350 E. Galleria Dr.
Henderson, NV 89015
702-267-4180
[cid:<image002.jpg...>]

Back to top
Date: 6/15/20 10:58 pm
From: Rob Lowry <00000002625e15f9-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: Desatoya Mountains, Late May
House Wrens can and will attack the eggs and young of other bird species. While living in Ohio, we had a pair of Eastern Bluebirds nesting in a box in our backyard close to a calling House Wren. One year, after the Bluebird eggs were laid, we came out one morning to find the Bluebird eggs cracked on the ground under the Bluebird box with the House Wren nearby. After that incident, I was told by the naturalist at our local park that House Wrens can be very aggressive towards other birds. I got on-line and found many references to House Wrens attacking the eggs and babies of other bird species. A quick search on YouTube this evening showed videos of a House Wren attacking the eggs or babies of Bluebirds and Chickadees. They can be very aggressive little boogers.
Rob LowryCarson City

Date: 6/15/20 7:36 pm
From: David Shen <dctshen...>
Very interesting about the house wren perhaps committing infanticide. It
reminds me of watching cliff swallows nesting under culverts in Yellowstone
NP and being surprised by a mountain bluebird going in and out of one of
the nests. I don't know if any cliffie young were present.
David Shen
Reno

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 12:06 PM David Worley <daveworl...>
wrote:

> We camped for a couple nights on upper Edwards Creek in the Desatoya
> Mountains at the end of May. We camped in some nice aspen groves and the
> area was quite birdy, but the road is not recommended, as it becomes rocky
> and in places overgrown, with multiple gates. We came in from the west, up
> Edwards Creek, and exited over the top of the range via the Overland Trail,
> which became even more overgrown on Smith Creek. After navigating all
> that, we found a locked gate that necessitated some time with the map to
> find an alternate way out, rather than back-track back over the range.
>
> Of note was an active hairy woodpecker nest in an aspen with the two
> adults bringing in food, but also discovered by a house wren, which entered
> the nest when the adults were gone, and was chased off by them when they
> were present. Birds of North America on line notes house wrens may attack
> the young of other wrens, either other house wrens or congeners, but I
> haven't found a reference to attacks on non-congener species.
>
> eBird list of species found at https://ebird.org/checklist/S70472239.
>
> Dave Worley,
> Reno, Nevada

Back to top
Date: 6/15/20 12:44 pm
From: David Worley <daveworl...>
Subject: Correction onf Desatoyas eBird checklist
Accidentally checked Cassin's vireo as being observed in the Desatoyas. Plumbeous and Warbling were the only two vireo species observed on our May trip to the range. Corrected on eBird checklist.

Thanks Frank.

Dave Worley,
Reno, Nevada

Back to top

Date: 6/15/20 10:52 am
From: Paul Hurtado <paul.j.hurtado...>
Subject: Re: Painted Redstarts NEST BUILDING in the narrows past Fletcher Springs
Hi all,

My apologies for not replying to Ben's email sooner -- I just saw it.

I 100% agree with the general suggestion to avoid sharing breeding location
details for sensitive species, and I thought this over quiet a bit before
posting the Redstart info.

However, I decided to make an exception in this case for a few of reasons
(detailed below). Still, I should have been more clear about this decision
in my email, and I also should have made some explicit comments about how
to minimize disturbing the birds in that email. Ben was justified in his
response! At a minimum, I should have shared some of the flowing links ...

https://www.aba.org/aba-code-of-birding-ethics/

https://www.audubon.org/get-outside/audubons-guide-ethical-bird-photography

http://www.naturephotographers.net/ethics.html

... and urged folks to keep their distance, view from up the canyon not
right at the nest area, keep still and silent while there, and keep visits
as brief and minimally impactful as possible. It was 100% an oversight on
my part.

That said, here's why I shared the location info.

First, that place gets a LOT of traffic from hikers, so this is a very
different situation than birds nesting in a remote (otherwise unvisited)
location where additional traffic by birders would be a big change in the
birds' daily routine. I wouldn't have shared the details in that case. The
general area was already known, and birders were already in the area
looking for these birds, so while disclosing the location would maybe
increase birder visitation, it would be only a little more human traffic
than if I said nothing. Also, there was a high probability that if they do
nest there, others would notice and spread the word, or disturbances in the
interim might push the birds elsewhere. The bigger issue is the behavior of
birders at the location, and this I should have addressed in my first email
by sharing the links above (again, my bad, I dropped the ball on that one).

Second, the location of the nest (up a few meters on the side of a cliff)
makes it hard to get very close. Yes, people could still get close enough
to disturb the birds if they wanted to, but again, the birds see a lot of
foot traffic and it is easy to park yourself up the canyon and observe from
a healthy distance.

Third -- and this one weighed heavily into my decision --while disclosing
the nest location might draw more attention to it, it will also hopefully
help birders behave more responsibly in the vicinity of the nest, and thus
reduce unintentional disturbance from birders searching for these birds.
Knowledge of the location comes with potential risks, but I know it will
also translate into less temptation to blast tapes (nobody should, of
course, given that they are nesting!!!) to try and find them, no
(unintentionally!!) doing what I did and stopping right at the nest to take
a water break, no unintentional loud conversations right near the nest,
maybe even folks giving hikers a heads up to do the same in that area, etc.

In this case, I concluded that the pros outweighed the cons in this
particular instance, and sharing the location details would not cause a
huge increase in human traffic at the site, would help birders find them
more efficiently, and might even reduce (or at least not greatly increase)
our collective impact on the birds.

Good birding,
Paul Hurtado,
Reno

Back to top
Date: 6/14/20 7:49 pm
From: Darlene Feener <darlenemfeener...>
(39) species were seen on Discovery Park in Pahrump, NV. this morning.

Greater White-fronted Goose
Canada Goose
Mallard
Ruddy Duck
Gambel's Quail
Eared Grebe
Pied-billed Grebe
Great Egret
Black-crowned Night-Heron
Red-shouldered Hawk
American Coot
Killdeer
Rock Pigeon (Feral)
Mourning Dove
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Anna's Hummingbird
Black-chinned Hummingbird
American Kestrel
Black Phoebe
Say's Phoebe
Vermilion Flycatcher
Western Kingbird
Common Raven
American Crow

Date: 6/14/20 11:14 am
From: Karen Havlena <000000fb2f11d97c-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Bobolinks in Lamoille
Prompted by Rob Lowry’s eBird list of a couple of days ago, I drove to Elko County to see and listen to the song of the Bobolink. North of the church in Lamoille on Crossroads, there were three males perched high enough in the grass for me to see them. I could hear the songs from approximately five total.
I couldn’t locate Rob’s group on Clubine Rd. Also tried the wet fields at Halleck. I heard a Sora whinny, which was fun, but could not find any Bobolinks there.

Cheers,
Karen Havlena

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 6/14/20 9:22 am
From: Jeanne Tinsman <philohela17...>
Subject: Black-throated Blue Warbler, adult male, at Corn Creek, Desert NWR 2020-06-14
Good Morning:

While making the rounds this morning on the Coyote Loop at Corn Creek,
Desert National Wildlife Refuge, Clark County, I heard a warbler that does
not call this area home. Took a minute to bring the song to the top of my
memory - Black-throated Blue Warbler. I was finally able to catch a
glimpse of this adult male.

He's hanging out in the vegetation surrounded by the Coyote Loop trail, and
I heard him best from the south part of the trail (that also goes by the
orchard), and finally saw him between the first bench on the loop and the
first bridge of the trail. Keep listening for his "zhree, zhreee, zhraaay"
song.

Also, a juvenile male Vermilion Flycatcher showed up this morning, and made
an appearance in the orchard.

A gentle reminder: Please stay on the trail, don't cross the stream or
venture into the interior vegetation. Thanks.

Jeanne
*********************************
Jeanne R. Tinsman
Clark County, Nevada
<philohela17...>

Back to top
Date: 6/13/20 7:50 pm
From: Ben Zyla <theloraxx365...>
Subject: REQUEST TO NOT POST DIRECTIONS TO BIRD NESTS, ESPECIALLY RARE SPECIES
Everyone,

I would like to request that people who use the list serv DO NOT POST SPECIFIC DIRECTIONS TO BIRD'S NESTS, ESPECIALLY RARE SPECIES IN THE STATE.

In other state's list serv forums, this is forbidden. And even though the Nevada list serv does not explicitly state this, it should be a common courtesy to the birds and is regarded as a unwritten rule in the birding community.

Directing people specifically to a nest can cause unnecessary disturbance by observers and photographers and can create more attention to predators who may depredate it. In regards to raptors, it can attract falconers to the nest.

I personally think it also helps to decrease the chance of that nest succeeding and that pair coming back to the area to breed again.

Information on the nest can be suspended by the observer until the nest fledges or fails, at which time it can be made public.

Please consider this moving forward and respect the birds during breeding season.

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Back to top
Date: 6/13/20 12:30 pm
From: Scott Clemson <clemzone11...>
Subject: re PARE nest
Thanks Ben for reminding us all how our genuine enthusiasm for beautiful
places and amazing birds demands intelligent tempering re "sharing" if
such creatures and locations are to remain so special. Yogi Berra- "No one
goes there anymore It's too crowded " We humans have already done this
too often, even before social media and ease of GPS and cell phones.

--
9R's - RESPECT, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Repair, Repurpose, Replace, Refuse,
RETHINK !

G. Scott Clemson
Former teacher of Latin, Biology, Physical Science, Group Dynamics, Art,
Woodshop, Enviromaniacs
10151 Dorrell Ln unit 3074
Las Vegas, NV 89166

Back to top
Date: 6/13/20 11:32 am
From: ben zyla <theloraxx365...>
Why are we posting explicit details on where a nest is for a rare bird in Nevada that has been documented as confirmed breeding less than 5 times in the state????

I feel this violates one of the unwritten rules of the list server and should be removed.

There have been detailed notes on where to find the pair of PARE in the canyon. I am not sure why directions to the nest were needed?

Anyhting to help increase the chances of this pair to sucessfully breed should be taken so there is a chance for them to return for years to come and perhaps establish a small population.

________________________________
Date: 6/12/20 9:13 pm
From: Brian Adams <bra356...>
Subject: Re: Congratulations, Carl Lundblad!
Congrats, Carl!
Which university in Idaho?
Brian Adams

Back to top
Date: 6/12/20 9:10 pm
From: Brian Adams <bra356...>
Subject: Re: Washoe County Rare (Vaux' Swift)
I recall there being one or two Vaux's Swifts twinkling about at Oxbow Nature Study Area (Reno) quite a few years ago.
Brian Adams

Back to top
Date: 6/12/20 8:24 pm
From: Paul Hurtado <paul.j.hurtado...>

----------------------

https://www.google.com/maps/place/36%C2%B016'33.7%22N+115%C2%B037'56.3%22W/@36.2747898,-115.632121,545m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d36.276028!4d-115.632293

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t6S09gZBtg&t=1m48s

of photos at https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/nevada/fletcher-canyon--2

To get a sense of exactly where the nest building was happening, this next
photo is looking back down the canyon from just up-canyon from the seep
(from on top of that step up in the canyon floor visible in the video).
From this perspective, the seep would be down left, and the groove in the
boulder down right.

https://www.americansouthwest.net/nevada/photographs1118/fletcher9.jpg
(source:
https://www.americansouthwest.net/nevada/mount-charleston/fletcher-canyon-trail.html
)

https://aroundthebendfriends2.blogspot.com/2015/05/eagles-nest-loop-fletcher-canyon-53015.html

There were some really fun behavioral details I won't go into here (I'll
write these up elsewhere and share with the listserv once it's available)
but all in all it was definitely way up there on my list of most memorable
birding experiences. Hopefully they don't mind all the foot traffic, and
succeed in nesting in that section of canyon.

Good birding,
Paul Hurtado

--
Paul J. Hurtado
http://www.pauljhurtado.com/

Back to top
Date: 6/12/20 5:48 pm
From: Martin Meyers <martin...>
Subject: Congratulations, Carl Lundblad!
Most Nevada birders know Carl Lundblad.  He put in his time birding the state and continues to serve Nevada as the eBird reviewer for southern NV.Many of you might know he went into a Ph.D. program in Idaho.I am really pleased to let you all know that Carl has now completed all degree requirements and will officially receive his degree shortly.Way to go, "Dr." Carl!Martin_______________Martin Meyersemail: Martin...(AT...) SierraBirdbum.comPhoto website: http://SierraBirdbum.com

Back to top
Date: 6/12/20 12:39 pm
From: Jeff Bleam <jcbleam...>
Subject: Washoe County Rare
This morning I saw a VAUX SWIFT at Crystal Peak Park in Verdi. It flew in
from the north towards the bridge where the Cliff Swallows are nesting.
Flew to about 20m from me. Also, there is a pair of PILEATED WOODPECKERS
at the Chimney Beach north parking lot now.

Jeff Bleam
Mt. Rose Foothills, NV
byjcbphoto.com

Back to top
Date: 6/12/20 12:25 pm
From: Bob Goodman <0000005532510179-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Behavior
Just now, near noon today, I had the pleasure of watching the culmination behavior of a pair of American Robins that had been watering at my water feature since breeding season began.

The male, with a just-fledged youngster in tow, brought it to the water for a drink, then they both headed next door to ingest some decorative gravel, the adult doing so, then bouncing aside while the youngster followed suit. They then proceeded to my neighbor's rose plants, where the adult poked around their bases, and again stepped aside to allow the youngster to do the same.

Really interesting to watch this teaching procedure.

Cheers, all, from Reno's Golden Valley.

Bob Goodman

Back to top
Date: 6/11/20 10:43 am
From: Alan de Queiroz <dqalan...>
Subject: Parula near Verdi
Bird moved off uphill toward I-80

Alan de Queiroz
Reno

Back to top
Date: 6/11/20 10:32 am
From: Alan de Queiroz <dqalan...>
Subject: N Parula warbler near Verdi
Hearing it now and had decent and diagnostic looks. On trail that starts on
opposite side of river from Crystal Peak Park. Coordinates for bird:
39.5044 -119.9973

Back to top
Date: 6/9/20 9:10 am
From: Rick/Meg Andrews <andrews2727...>
Subject: Painted Redstart in 6 Mile Canyon, Storey County, contiues
The Painted Redstart was heard singing for at least 2 hours this morning, but I was never able to see it (Paul Hurtado got a brief view).  The bird is staying up in the pinyon/juniper trees on the steep hillside above the riparian area, and it was moving down canyon.  First heard in the area described yesterday, but was last heard 1/4 mile down the canyon (at the next large dirt turn out).
Meg AndrewsReno

Back to top
Date: 6/8/20 3:35 pm
From: Greg Scyphers <scyph...>
Subject: Painted Redstart continues in Storey
I just relocated the Painted Redstart in 6-mile Canyon (Storey County). The bird was seen in the first cottonwoods on the south side of the road just past the sewer treatment? Building. Basically the first trees you come to on the right after you leave Virginia City heading downhill. The bird then went into the Pinion trees behind the riparian strip and moved up canyon on the south fork heading up towards town. Nice photos obtained. The bird was also singing softly while moving around the Pinions. I was able to get some of the other birders present on the bird.

Greg Scyphers
Sparks, NV

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 6/8/20 2:02 pm
From: Nick Rosen <nicholasgibsonrosen...>
Subject: Painted Redstart followup
Some pictures of the *Painted* Redstart have been uploaded to eBird; it was
definitely not an American (which does not look very similar) in case
anyone else was confused. The pictures are not very good but are
identifiable and can be seen here:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S70212841

On the way back, we stopped at Dayton State Park, where the two Hooded
warblers were still present.

Nick Rosen
Carson City NV

Back to top
Date: 6/8/20 10:49 am
From: Emma Rosen <erosen950...>
Subject: PAINTED REDSTART - 6 mile canyon (storey co)
Hi all,
Just 5 minutes ago observed a male redstart at this location. Coming from
Virginia city side we parked by a windy road sign and observed the bird
just past the icy road sign
39.306199,-119.631946

Nick obtained poor but identifiable pictures. The bird was moving
frequently and we lost track of it but suspect it is probably still in the
area.
Pics and ebird checklist later!
Emma Rosen
Carson City NV

Back to top
Date: 6/8/20 6:46 am
From: Charlene Clark <0000010f33236d20-dmarc-request...>
Subject: BVP Bird List 6/1-6/7
During June we will open at 6 AM, close at 12 PM, last entry 11:30. Please wear a hat and sunscreen and have water with you on the preserve. We have Purell, insect repellant and sunscreen available. Masks are recommended, but not mandatory... we have them available at the desk.

The property is on the north side of Galleria Dr., just west of the Animal Shelter, between Ward Dr. and Moser Dr. Phone 702 267 4180.

The following birds were seen or heard (H) and confirmed by staff June - June 7.

Canada Goose, Wood Duck, (with ducklings,) Gadwall, Mallard, (with ducklings), Cinnamon Teal, Redhead, Ruddy Duck (with ducklings)

Gambel's Quail

Pied-billed Grebe, Eared Grebe, Western Grebe

Double-crested Cormorant

Least Bittern, Great Blue Heron, Green Heron, Black-crowned Night Heron

Cooper's Hawk, Common Gallinule, American Coot

Killdeer

American Avocet, Red-necked Phalarope

Eurasian Collared Dove, Mourning Dove

Greater Roadrunner

Black-chinned Hummingbird, Anna's Hummingbird, Costa's Hummingbird

American Kestrel, Black Phoebe, Say's Phoebe

Northern Rough-winged Swallow

Verdin

Black-tailed Gnatcatcher

Crissal Thrasher

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Abert's Towhee

Yellow-headed Blackbird, Great-tailed Grackle, Brown-headed Cowbird

House Finch, House Sparrow

41 species

Happy Birding!

Charlene Clark
Site Lead
Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve
350 E. Galleria Dr.
Henderson, NV 89015
702-267-4180
[cid:<image003.jpg...>]

Back to top
Date: 6/7/20 3:48 pm
From: Darlene Feener <darlenemfeener...>
A fantastic day with a cool breeze. (41) species seen today on Discovery Park:

Eared Grebe
Pied-billed Grebe
Black-crowned Night-Heron
Great Egret
Greater White-fronted Goose
Canada Goose
Mallard
Ruddy Duck
Turkey Vulture
Red-tailed Hawk
American Kestrel
Gambel's Quail
American Coot
Killdeer
Rock Dove (feral Rock Pigeon)
Mourning Dove
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Black chinned-Hummingbird
Anna's Hummingbird
Ladder-backed Woodpecker
Black Phoebe
Say's Phoebe
Vermilion Flycatcher
Western Kingbird
American Crow
Common Raven
Violet-green Swallow
Tree Swallow
Verdin
Bewick's Wren
Black-tailed Gnatcatcher
Western Bluebird
Crissal Thrasher
European Starling
Phainopepla
Yellow-headed Blackbird
Great-tailed Grackle
Bullock's Oriole
House Finch
Lesser Goldfinch
House Sparrow

Back to top
Date: 6/7/20 12:26 pm
From: Martin Meyers <NevadaBirdRecords...>
Subject: Note on the report of Hepatic Tanager
Patrick Gaffey says the location given for the bird ("Little Jamaica")
is near Littlefield, AZ (and, sure enough, a Google Search shows that
location as the only thing Google Maps lists as "Little Jamaica"
anywhere close to Nevada.)  I assume the checklist was entered for the
Mesquite (East) hotspot, but the report specifies that the birds were at
Little Jamaica.  Oh well...

Date: 6/7/20 11:50 am
From: Martin Meyers <NevadaBirdRecords...>
Subject: Hepatic Tanager eBird report
An ebird report of a pair of Hepatic Tanagers at Mesquite on June 5th
popped up on the eBird Rare Bird Alert.  HETA is a Nevada review species
with only three NBRC-endorsed records.  If anyone can provide
documentation on these birds, it would be much appreciated.