Birders
Received From Subject
4/14/24 12:29 pm Eve Wilson <evew...> [birders] Kensington Questions
4/2/24 7:16 pm Susan MIller <smiller179...> [birders] woodcock and woodcock egg sightings
4/2/24 11:39 am Mag Tait <magtait1...> Re: [birders] Wood Ducks
4/2/24 11:22 am Crystal Keller <crystal...> [birders] Re: wood duck box
4/2/24 10:12 am Dody <dody...> [birders] Wood Ducks
3/31/24 12:28 pm Allen Chartier <amazilia3...> Re: [birders] Best Wood Duck box design and placement?
3/31/24 9:24 am John Trapp <birdsetcetera...> Re: [birders] Best Wood Duck box design and placement?
3/30/24 5:58 am Allen Chartier <amazilia3...> [birders] Best Wood Duck box design and placement?
3/20/24 7:34 am 'Marta Manildi' via Birders <birders...> Re: [birders] Brown creeper
3/20/24 5:31 am Catherine Carroll <songsparrow...> [birders] Brown creeper

Back to top
Date: 4/14/24 12:29 pm
From: Eve Wilson <evew...>
Subject: [birders] Kensington Questions
Had a lovely time at Kensington today! Herons in the rookery… some nest building but a lot of hanging out in the nest. So I thinking there may be some eggs already. Does anyone know?
Also, saw two snapping turtles going at it on the surface, tumbling or something. Hard to tell if it was mating or competition. One held the other under water for an extended period. I’m curious if anyone knows which it would be?
Eve A2
Sent from my iPhone

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<12BE35C2-97B4-4A13-A4F9-72563ECAC61A...>

Back to top
Date: 4/2/24 7:16 pm
From: Susan MIller <smiller179...>
Subject: [birders] woodcock and woodcock egg sightings
Yesterday I accidentally flushed a woodcock in a shrubby area where I’ve regularly seen them display. I also happened across a single woodcock egg—not on a nest—in the same area, adjacent to the Knox Presbyterian hotspot in Lodi Township. It’s unfortunately an area that is slated for intensive development.

Susan Miller

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<C3A0AE7F-223C-401A-8317-C380A40099E5...>

Back to top
Date: 4/2/24 11:39 am
From: Mag Tait <magtait1...>
Subject: Re: [birders] Wood Ducks
It does just seem wrong! I have them flying over my yard which is in between a few small lakes and ponds. Gorgeous birds.
Sent from my iPhone

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<63685DD1-240B-45F5-A839-8373A8E84F57...>

Back to top
Date: 4/2/24 11:22 am
From: Crystal Keller <crystal...>
Subject: [birders] Re: wood duck box
I recommend mounting nest boxes on metal poles in the water. We craft baffles from 6” black stove vent pipe. Entrance holes do not need to face the water.

Nest box plans that work best for us are from "Woodworking for Wildlife: Homes for Birds and Mammals" by Carroll Henderson. (I will find the Wood duck nest box plan.)

It does not seem possible for there to be too many nest boxes. For 20+ years a neighbor in our sub has maintained 30 nest boxes on his two-acre property. Most years all the boxes are occupied by Wood ducks, with one or two occupied by Mergansers. Wood ducks nest in the five boxes on our 3/4-acre property every year.

Crystal Keller
Green Oak Township
Livingston County

On Mar 31, 2024, at 1:41 AM, <birders...> wrote:

<birders...> <https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/forum/?utm_source=digest&utm_medium=email#!forum/birders/topics> Google Groups <https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/forum/?utm_source=digest&utm_medium=email/#!overview> <https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/forum/?utm_source=digest&utm_medium=email/#!overview>
Topic digest <>
View all topics <https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/forum/?utm_source=digest&utm_medium=email#!forum/birders/topics>
Best Wood Duck box design and placement? <x-msg://1/#group_thread_0> - 1 Update
<>Best Wood Duck box design and placement? <http://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/group/birders/t/198737dcf65c2605?utm_source=digest&utm_medium=email>
Allen Chartier <amazilia3...>: Mar 30 08:57AM -0400

I am consulting with a private landowner in SW Michigan who wants to put
Wood Duck nest boxes up adjacent to a small 1-acre man-made pond that is
between an old growth woodland and a second-growth swamp-woods.

What is the best design for a Wood Duck nest box? There are a lot of
opinions, and plans, on the internet. Some have a "ladder" inside, and some
don't.

There are options to put the boxes on metal poles or 4x4 wooden posts.
Which is better? How high above the water? How far offshore? I assume that
the nest hole should face the water? Which type of predator baffle is best?

How closely can nest boxes be spaced? Is it possible to put up too many?

There are also some reasonably large trees on a couple of small peninsulas
into the pond, within 20 feet of the water's edge, and surrounded by rather
open ground. Are nest boxes on tree trunks preferable to putting them in
the water? If so, how high to place them? How to prevent predation?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

Allen T. Chartier
Inkster, Michigan
Email: <amazilia3...>
Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mihummingbirdguy/collections/ <http://www.flickr.com/photos/mihummingbirdguy/collections/>
Website/Blog: http://mihummingbirdguy.blogspot.com/ <http://mihummingbirdguy.blogspot.com/>
Back to top <x-msg://1/#digest_top>
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page <https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/forum/?utm_source=digest&utm_medium=email#!forum/birders/join>.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to birders+<unsubscribe...> <mailto:birders+<unsubscribe...>.

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<F8C3A787-6E2C-4E97-9A0A-58D21BF91A3F...>

Back to top

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<939100FF-579F-4DB4-A751-78B55DE90A73...>

Back to top
Date: 3/31/24 12:28 pm
From: Allen Chartier <amazilia3...>
Subject: Re: [birders] Best Wood Duck box design and placement?
John,

Thanks for this. While it may be true, or obvious, I do see quite a few
Wood Duck boxes on tree trunks, with sheet metal guards below...

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<CAFoKnJURTPSaPsYgySPM8CY0R32ciVp9mtORyykNiFpeGN_3hw...>

Back to top
Date: 3/31/24 9:24 am
From: John Trapp <birdsetcetera...>

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/CANu_fWdC8mzm_XCg8aeRrVZ%2BMk%<3D3sVpYTL7R3w5zjJyKU7dzJg...>

Back to top

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<CAFoKnJWMrHJDMvCZQNmCfO1gnFmborbvkiHqKSvAvFmPB5wF4g...>

Back to top
Date: 3/20/24 7:34 am
From: 'Marta Manildi' via Birders <birders...>
Subject: Re: [birders] Brown creeper
Hackberry trees are wonderful for birds, moths, butterflies, and perforce caterpillars (and so, in turn, more birds!). It is a medium height tree and suitable for urban yards, even small ones. Thanks for having one!

Marta

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<9B92D0C0-8F68-49FC-A99D-6179AC567EF4...>

Back to top