IN-BIRD-L
Received From Subject
8/18/19 3:22 pm Greene, Terri B <tgreene...> [IN-BIRD-L] SW Monroe Co: Whip-poor-will, Blue-winged Warbler, etc.; strange vocalization
8/18/19 10:44 am Becky <in-bird-l...> [IN-BIRD-L] Eagle Creek Park Sunday bird hike
8/16/19 1:38 pm rick folkening <rfolkening...> [IN-BIRD-L] Greenfield Common Nighthawk
8/15/19 10:38 am john skene <jkskene...> [IN-BIRD-L] Celery Bog Nature Area, Aug 15, 2019
8/13/19 12:13 pm Robert Guth <bobwgfsa...> [IN-BIRD-L] Least Bittern, American Bittern, Common Gallinule at Noble County Mallard Roost WCA
8/11/19 1:36 pm Becky <in-bird-l...> [IN-BIRD-L] Eagle Creek Park bird hike
8/10/19 2:59 pm Michael Brown <in-bird-l...> [IN-BIRD-L] Purple Martins staging Sullivan Cty
8/8/19 10:55 am zzedpowers <in-bird-l...> [IN-BIRD-L] Eagle Marsh, Ft Wayne
8/7/19 1:20 pm Bill Buskirk <billb...> [IN-BIRD-L] Brookville Lake
8/4/19 4:37 pm Becky <in-bird-l...> [IN-BIRD-L] Eagle Creek Park bird hike
7/31/19 5:24 pm Joe and Debbie Caruso <caruso1914...> [IN-BIRD-L] Requesting info - No Sightings
7/31/19 4:26 pm Gary Bowman <otus44...> [IN-BIRD-L] [External] Knox Co shorebirds
7/31/19 8:53 am Spike Selig <spikeselig...> [IN-BIRD-L] Cerulean Warbler sighting Eagle Creek Park, Indianapolis, Ind. Fish Crow Family sightings.
7/30/19 8:15 am John Winebrenner <in-bird-l...> [IN-BIRD-L] [External] Potato Creek S.P.
7/29/19 7:20 am Steve Pancol <s.pancol...> [IN-BIRD-L] [External] Madison County shorebirds 7/29/19
7/29/19 7:03 am Spring Ryding <smelryd...> [IN-BIRD-L] turkey vultures
7/29/19 6:48 am Peter Scott <Peter.Scott...> Re: [IN-BIRD-L] Parke County Indigo Bunting Survey
7/28/19 4:06 pm Becky <in-bird-l...> [IN-BIRD-L] Eagle Creek Park Sunday bird hike
7/27/19 8:45 pm Alan Bruner <abbird...> [IN-BIRD-L] Parke County Indigo Bunting Survey
7/26/19 2:55 pm Steve Pancol <s.pancol...> [IN-BIRD-L] [External] Summit Lake State Park 7/26/19
7/24/19 4:22 am Larry Caldwell <finrod...> [IN-BIRD-L] Blue Grosbeak
7/23/19 6:54 pm Steve Pancol <s.pancol...> [IN-BIRD-L] 7/23/19 - Summit Lake, Killbuck Creek east, Killbuck Creek west
7/22/19 1:59 pm zzedpowers <in-bird-l...> [IN-BIRD-L] Black-crowned Night-Heron, Ft Wayne zoo
7/21/19 6:42 pm Becky <in-bird-l...> [IN-BIRD-L] Eagle Creek Park bird hike
7/21/19 3:57 pm Patricia Reynolds <eagleowl4180...> Re: [IN-BIRD-L] Crows @ suet feeder
7/21/19 11:27 am ROBERT BARBER <robert_barber_389...> [IN-BIRD-L] Crows @ suet feeder

Back to top
Date: 8/18/19 3:22 pm
From: Greene, Terri B <tgreene...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] SW Monroe Co: Whip-poor-will, Blue-winged Warbler, etc.; strange vocalization
New yardbird: 2 Blue-winged warblers! Great looks as they bopped around at the top of a couple giant ragweed plants for a moment not far from the south side of the house. I’ve heard a whip-poor-will in the distance a few times recently.

I haven’t seen the resident Red-headed Woodpecker for several weeks now. It was an immature when it arrived last year. It had been a regular all winter and into the summer—chasing blue jays and other birds out of the big, dead oak tree. Very vocal. It started feeding at the suet feeder toward spring. It was fun watching it transfer into adult plumage. Yesterday I noticed a very white woodpecker fly across the sky and land at the big, dead oak. The bird started chasing a blue jay and some robins out of the tree. I hurriedly grabbed my binoculars. Sure enough! It was a Red-headed Woodpecker, but an immature one. Maybe this one will stay the winter.

When I got home on Friday around 7pm, I heard a strange sound somewhere up in the trees west of the house. It was loud . . . sort of a combination of a dog whimpering, a flying squirrel vocalizing, and a Red-shouldered Hawk “kee-aahing” with the tone of a fledgling bird wanting its parent to feed it. Try as I did, I could not see it in the canopy. It continued off and on past dark until about 10:30pm—so I was hearing it in daylight and dark. Any thoughts on what it might have been?

Terri Greene
SW Monroe Co

Aug 18, 2019
Red-headed Woodpecker 1 immature; flew to old, big, dead oak tree; chased away blue jay and robins

Aug 17, 2019 9:00 PM
Eastern Whip-poor-will 1 in distance northeast of house

Aug 17, 2019
Mourning Dove 15
Yellow-billed Cuckoo 1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 18
Turkey Vulture 1
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 2
Downy Woodpecker 4
Hairy Woodpecker 2
Northern Flicker 1
Eastern Wood-Pewee 2
Eastern Phoebe 1
Eastern Kingbird 2 in elderberry bush
White-eyed Vireo 3
Red-eyed Vireo 1
Blue Jay 1
American Crow 4
Carolina Chickadee 1
Tufted Titmouse 1
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
Carolina Wren 2
European Starling 41
Gray Catbird 2
Eastern Bluebird 1
American Robin 3
House Sparrow 2
House Finch 14
American Goldfinch 2
Chipping Sparrow 2
Eastern Towhee 1
Common Grackle 1
Northern Cardinal 8
Indigo Bunting 1

Aug 16, 2019 9:00 PM
Eastern Screech-Owl 1 whinnying west of house

Aug 13, 2019 6:55 AM
Scarlet Tanager 1

Aug 10, 2019 9:20 PM
Eastern Screech-Owl 1

Aug 8, 2019 8:30 PM
Blue-winged Warbler 2 in giant ragweed near elderberry bush on south side of house

Aug 8, 2019 6:22 AM
Eastern Screech-Owl 1 whinnying, possibly as close as front yard (east side of house); heard shortly later to NW in distance

Aug 6, 2019
Gray Catbird 1 in elderberry bush
Brown Thrasher 1 in elderberry bush

Aug 4, 2019
Mourning Dove 8
Yellow-billed Cuckoo 1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 20
Great Blue Heron 1
Black Vulture 1
Turkey Vulture 2
Red-bellied Woodpecker 2
Downy Woodpecker 1
Hairy Woodpecker 2
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Eastern Wood-Pewee 1
White-eyed Vireo 1
Blue Jay 1
American Crow 3
Carolina Chickadee 2
Tufted Titmouse 2
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 1
Carolina Wren 1
Gray Catbird 2
Wood Thrush 1
American Robin 1
House Sparrow 3
House Finch 14
American Goldfinch 4
Chipping Sparrow 1
Song Sparrow 1
Eastern Towhee 2
Red-winged Blackbird 1
Brown-headed Cowbird 2
Common Grackle 1
Summer Tanager 1 female; perched on grapevine wreath on front porch; hopped down to floor, checking out insects and debris
Northern Cardinal 4
Indigo Bunting 1

Aug 1, 2019 9:23 PM
Eastern Whip-poor-will 1

Jul 29, 2019 7:30 AM
Pileated Woodpecker 1

Jul 28, 2019
Mourning Dove 9
Yellow-billed Cuckoo 1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 13
Turkey Vulture 1
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Downy Woodpecker 1
Hairy Woodpecker 2
Northern Flicker 2
Eastern Wood-Pewee 1
White-eyed Vireo 1
Blue Jay 1
American Crow 5
Carolina Chickadee 2
Tufted Titmouse 1
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
Carolina Wren 1
Gray Catbird 1
Eastern Bluebird 1
Wood Thrush 1
House Finch 14
American Goldfinch 4
Chipping Sparrow 1
Song Sparrow 1
Eastern Towhee 1
Red-winged Blackbird 9
Brown-headed Cowbird 1
Common Grackle 3
Common Yellowthroat 1
Northern Cardinal 3
Indigo Bunting 1

Jul 27, 2019
Yellow-breasted Chat 1

Jul 26, 2019
Yellow-billed Cuckoo 1
Barn Swallow 1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 1
Gray Catbird 1

Jul 25, 2019 9:30 PM
Eastern Whip-poor-will 1 heard in distance east of house

Jul 24, 2019 9:30 PM
Eastern Whip-poor-will 1 heard in distance east of house

Jul 23, 2019 9:30 PM
Eastern Whip-poor-will 1 heard in distance east of house

These reports were generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

Back to top
Date: 8/18/19 10:44 am
From: Becky <in-bird-l...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Eagle Creek Park Sunday bird hike
The 8/18/19 Sunday bird hike tallied 81 species. The list is as follows:

| Canada Goose |

| Wood Duck |

| Mallard |

| Blue-winged Teal |

| Double-crested Cormorant |

| Great blue Heron |

| Great Egret |

| Green Heron |

| Black-crowned Night Heron |

| Turkey Vulture |

| Bald Eagle |

| Cooper's Hawk |

| Red-shouldered Hawk |

| Red-tailed Hawk |

| American Kestrel |

| Semipalmated Plover |

| Killdeer |

| Spotted Sandpiper |

| Solitary Sandpiper |

| Lesser Yellowlegs |

| Semipalmated Sandpiper |

| Least Sandpiper |

| Pectoral Sandpiper |

| Stilt Sandpiper |

| Ring-billed Gull |

| Rock Pigeon |

| Mourning Dove |

| Chimney Swift |

| Ruby-throated Hummingbird |

| Belted Kingfisher |

| Red-headed Woodpecker |

| Red-bellied Woodpecker |

| Downy Woodpecker |

| Hairy Woodpecker |

| Northern Flicker |

| Pileated Woodpecker |

| Eastern Wood Pewee |

| Acadian Flycatcher |

| Willow Flycatcher |

| Eastern Phoebe |

| Great Crested Flycatcher |

| Eastern Kingbird |

| White-eyed Vireo |

| Warbling Vireo |

| Red-eyed Vireo |

| Blue Jay |

| American Crow |

| Purple Martin |

| Tree Swallow |

| Northern Rough-winged |

| Cliff Swallow |

| Barn Swallow |

| Carolina Chickadee |

| Tufted Titmouse |

| White-breasted Nuthatch |

| Carolina Wren |

| House Wren |

| Blue-gray Gnatcatcher |

| Eastern Bluebird |

| Wood Thrush |

| American Robin |

| Gray Catbird |

| Northern Mockingbird |

| Brown Thrasher |

| European Starling |

| Cedar Waxwing |

| Eastern Towhee |

| Chipping Sparrow |

| Field Sparrow |

| Savannah Sparrow |

| Henslow's Sparrow |

| Song Sparrow |

| Northern Cardinal |

| Indigo Bunting |

| Red-winged Blackbird |

| Eastern Meadowlark |

| Brown-headed Cowbird |

| Baltimore Oriole |

| House  Finch |

| American Goldfinch |

| House Sparrow |

 Walks start at 9:00AM at the Ornithology Center. All are welcome. Becky Lomax-Sumner

Back to top
Date: 8/16/19 1:38 pm
From: rick folkening <rfolkening...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Greenfield Common Nighthawk
The Common Nigjthawk has returned to his favorite coffee stop. He is on the
powerline right in front of Starbucks on N. State Street (Hwy 9) a half a
mile south of I-70 in Greenfield.

Rick Folkening
New Palestine

Back to top
Date: 8/15/19 10:38 am
From: john skene <jkskene...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Celery Bog Nature Area, Aug 15, 2019

________________________________

https://www.flickr.com/photos/57670538@N06/
Celery Bog Nature Area, Tippecanoe, Indiana, US
Aug 15, 2019 7:10 AM - 11:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.8 mile(s)
51 species

Canada Goose 38
Mute Swan 1
Wood Duck 68
Mallard 55
Mourning Dove 9
Chimney Swift 2
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 5
Semipalmated Plover 2
Killdeer 11
Least Sandpiper 12
Semipalmated Sandpiper 2
Spotted Sandpiper 2
Solitary Sandpiper 2
Double-crested Cormorant 17
Great Blue Heron (Blue form) 19
Green Heron 2
Turkey Vulture 6
Cooper's Hawk 2
Bald Eagle 1
Red-shouldered Hawk 3
Belted Kingfisher 2
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Downy Woodpecker 8
Hairy Woodpecker 2
Eastern Wood-Pewee 1
Eastern Phoebe 6
Eastern Kingbird 2
Warbling Vireo (Eastern) 2
Blue Jay 4
American Crow 3
Carolina Chickadee 7
Tufted Titmouse 2
Purple Martin 1
Barn Swallow (American) 9
White-breasted Nuthatch 5
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 1
House Wren 5
Carolina Wren 4
European Starling 2
Gray Catbird 4
American Robin 3
House Sparrow 11
House Finch 6
American Goldfinch 7
Field Sparrow 2
Song Sparrow 4
Baltimore Oriole 5
Common Yellowthroat 3
Northern Cardinal 4
Rose-breasted Grosbeak 1
Indigo Bunting 5

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59009952

Sad News For Meghan Markle And Prince Harry
track.volutrk.com
<http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3232/5d5597292e1741728471bst04duc>http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3232/5d5597292e1741728471bst04duc
[SponsoredBy Content.Ad]

Back to top
Date: 8/13/19 12:13 pm
From: Robert Guth <bobwgfsa...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Least Bittern, American Bittern, Common Gallinule at Noble County Mallard Roost WCA
On August 11 and 13, I visited Mallard Roost Wetland Conservation Area along Noble CR 600N and along 400W. I posted the bird lists to eBird, totaling 46 species in the two days. I arrived at 30 minutes prior to sunrise, to hear Swamp Sparrows and Marsh Wrens singing, and calls of Common Gallinules. I saw over 60 Wood Ducks fly north out of the roost, and after sunrise there was a river of Common Grackles and Red-winged Blackbirds totaling over 12,000. Common Gallinules could be seen along the river north of the bridge over 600N on the east side, and an immature Pied-billed Grebe was in the river as well. Before sunrise on one day, I counted 34 Green Herons flying from a roost south of the road, and on one day, I saw an American Bittern fly over the road. On the second day, because I had heard a Least Bittern on the first day, I watched more carefully and saw two Least Bitterns fly between the cattails across the river or the road. This is a good time to visit to see these species. Coming before sunrise particularly helps one see good numbers of several of these species. The area is SE of Ligonier, Indiana. If you have a canoe, you can go up and down the river, as the area extends a mile north and south without trails. Who knows what one might find.
Bob Guth, Goshen

Back to top
Date: 8/11/19 1:36 pm
From: Becky <in-bird-l...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Eagle Creek Park bird hike
The 8/11/19 Sunday bird hike at Eagle Creek tallied 76 species. The list is as follows:

| Canada Goose |

| Wood Duck |

| Mallard |

| Double-crested Cormorant |

| Great blue Heron |

| Great Egret |

| Green Heron |

| Turkey Vulture |

| Osprey |

| Bald Eagle |

| Cooper's Hawk |

| Red-shouldered Hawk |

| Broad-winged Hawk |

| American Kestrel |

| Killdeer |

| Spotted Sandpiper |

| Solitary Sandpiper |

| Lesser Yellowlegs |

| Semipalmated Sandpiper |

| Least Sandpiper |

| Pectoral Sandpiper |

| Ring-billed Gull |

| Rock Pigeon |

| Mourning Dove |

| Yellow-billed Cuckoo |

| Great Horned Owl |

| Chimney Swift |

| Ruby-throated Hummingbird |

| Belted Kingfisher |

| Red-bellied Woodpecker |

| Downy Woodpecker |

| Northern Flicker |

| Pileated Woodpecker |

| Eastern Wood Pewee |

| Eastern Phoebe |

| Eastern Kingbird |

| White-eyed Vireo |

| Warbling Vireo |

| Red-eyed Vireo |

| Blue Jay |

| American Crow |

| Horned Lark |

| Purple Martin |

| Tree Swallow |

| Northern Rough-winged |

| Bank Swallow |

| Cliff Swallow |

| Barn Swallow |

| Carolina Chickadee |

| Tufted Titmouse |

| White-breasted Nuthatch |

| Carolina Wren |

| House Wren |

| Blue-gray Gnatcatcher |

| Eastern Bluebird |

| American Robin |

| Gray Catbird |

| Brown Thrasher |

| European Starling |

| Cedar Waxwing |

| Yellow Warbler |

| Yellow-throated Warbler |

| Common Yellowthroat |

| Eastern Towhee |

| Chipping Sparrow |

| Field Sparrow |

| Savannah Sparrow |

| Henslow's Sparrow |

| Song Sparrow |

| Northern Cardinal |

| Indigo Bunting |

| Red-winged Blackbird |

| Eastern Meadowlark |

| House  Finch |

| American Goldfinch |

| House Sparrow |

  The walks start at 9:00AM at the Ornithology Center. All are welcome. Becky Lomax-Sumner

Back to top
Date: 8/10/19 2:59 pm
From: Michael Brown <in-bird-l...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Purple Martins staging Sullivan Cty
Sullivan Cty, Hawthorne Mine South on wires on 800E in southern part of mine this am there were 1,300 to 1,500 Purple Martins sitting on the wires. I don’t know how long they have been there or if they will stay, I just had never seen that many before. Doc photos taken.

Michael Brown
Terre Haute

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 8/8/19 10:55 am
From: zzedpowers <in-bird-l...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Eagle Marsh, Ft Wayne
It was fairly quiet at Eagle Marsh this morning.  Shorebirds are showing up, including a couple that I missed last spring.It was another nice day, warm and windy (I originally said a light wind, until may hat blew off).
Eagle Marsh Nature Preserve, Allen, Indiana, US
Aug 8, 2019 10:00 AM - 11:50 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.7 mile(s)
Comments:    80 F, partly cloudy, moderate wind
23 species

Mallard  19
Semipalmated Plover  5
Killdeer  25
Pectoral Sandpiper  2
Spotted Sandpiper  4
Lesser Yellowlegs  2
Ring-billed Gull  19
Double-crested Cormorant  2
Great Blue Heron  3
Green Heron  2
Turkey Vulture  1
American Crow  1
Tree Swallow  5
Bank Swallow  1
Barn Swallow  6
European Starling  20
Eastern Bluebird  2
American Robin  2
American Goldfinch  1
Song Sparrow  11
Red-winged Blackbird  100
Northern Cardinal  1
Indigo Bunting  1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58839605

Ed Powers, Allen County

Back to top
Date: 8/7/19 1:20 pm
From: Bill Buskirk <billb...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Brookville Lake

Date: 8/4/19 4:37 pm
From: Becky <in-bird-l...>
The 8/4/19 Eagle Creek bird hike tallied 80 species. The list is as follows:

| Canada Goose |

| Wood Duck |

| Mallard |

| Double-crested Cormorant |

| Great blue Heron |

| Great Egret |

| Green Heron |

| Turkey Vulture |

| Osprey |

| Bald Eagle |

| Red-shouldered Hawk |

| Red-tailed Hawk |

| American Kestrel |

| Killdeer |

| Solitary Sandpiper |

| Lesser Yellowlegs |

| Ring-billed Gull |

| Forster's Tern |

| Rock Pigeon |

| Mourning Dove |

| Chimney Swift |

| Ruby-throated Hummingbird |

| Belted Kingfisher |

| Red-headed Woodpecker |

| Red-bellied Woodpecker |

| Downy Woodpecker |

| Hairy Woodpecker |

| Northern Flicker |

| Pileated Woodpecker |

| Eastern Wood Pewee |

| Acadian Flycatcher |

| Eastern Phoebe |

| Great Crested Flycatcher |

| Eastern Kingbird |

| White-eyed Vireo |

| Yellow-throated Vireo |

| Warbling Vireo |

| Red-eyed Vireo |

| Blue Jay |

| American Crow |

| Fish Crow |

| Horned Lark |

| Purple Martin |

| Tree Swallow |

| Northern Rough-winged |

| Cliff Swallow |

| Barn Swallow |

| Carolina Chickadee |

| Tufted Titmouse |

| White-breasted Nuthatch |

| Carolina Wren |

| House Wren |

| Blue-gray Gnatcatcher |

| Eastern Bluebird |

| Wood Thrush |

| American Robin |

| Gray Catbird |

| Northern Mockingbird |

| Brown Thrasher |

| European Starling |

| Cedar Waxwing |

| Northern Parula |

| Yellow Warbler |

| Common Yellowthroat |

| Eastern Towhee |

| Chipping Sparrow |

| Field Sparrow |

| Savannah Sparrow |

| Henslow's Sparrow |

| Song Sparrow |

| Scarlet Tanager |

| Northern Cardinal |

| Indigo Bunting |

| Red-winged Blackbird |

| Eastern Meadowlark |

| Common Grackle |

| Brown-headed Cowbird |

| House  Finch |

| American Goldfinch |

| House Sparrow |

 The hikes start at 9:00AM at the Ornithology Center. All are welcome.  Becky Lomax-Sumner

Back to top
Date: 7/31/19 5:24 pm
From: Joe and Debbie Caruso <caruso1914...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Requesting info - No Sightings
Fellow In-birders,

Debbie and I are in the midst of planning a birding trip to Alaska for next
year. We've narrowed the field to a few tour operators (trips by Wings and
Field Guides seem to cover the most of what we want) but would love to hear
from any of you with prior experience.

Please email me off list to <caruso1914...> with anything you think
might be helpful

Thanks,

Joe Caruso
New Albany, IN

Back to top
Date: 7/31/19 4:26 pm
From: Gary Bowman <otus44...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] [External] Knox Co shorebirds
-------

Thanks to the heads-up by John Pohl, we checked out his message of Black-necked Stilts near Decker Chapel in southern Knox county. At what we call Decker Chapel Slough reached by taking the gravel road west from the church, we had 15 adult stilts, 4 full grown young and 4 still fluffy chicks. In addition, we had 6 Pectoral Sand, 7 Lesser Yellowlegs, 3 Short-billed Dowitchers, 2 Solitary Sand, 11 Killdeer,and best of all our first Knox county Willet. We also had 2 Northern Shovelers and 2 Wood Duck.

On the paved road past Decker Chapel maybe 1/2 mile in a pot hole on the north side of the road we had a Least Sandpiper.

Gary and Lisa Bowman

Back to top
Date: 7/31/19 8:53 am
From: Spike Selig <spikeselig...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Cerulean Warbler sighting Eagle Creek Park, Indianapolis, Ind. Fish Crow Family sightings.
If you are 100' S of the Eagle Creek Parks N entrance, you will usually be able to hear the Cerulean Warbler singing. his singing best heard usually on the N side of the main park road just N of where the Red-shouldered Hawk has nested for several years. The bird sings a lot across the road from the Cars Keep Off the Grass sign.

Several good birders checked this area out and were not able to visually locate the bird over the last four weeks. Bill Murphy and April Starling finally got a good sighting on the bird Sunday morning July 21st. This week, same location, I saw a pair attacking Robins that have been picking berries from the top of a lower tree under the tallest tree where the Cerulean can many times be found. The singing usually comes from the top of the tallest trees, I have hear this species in the same small micro area on several occasions over the years. The bird has also been heard W of the Lilly Lake dam by me once, and by Miles in the area due S of the Ice skating pond.

The singing bird has varied it's calls with 2 and 3 introductory notes. Also sometimes It's introductory notes have a sort of "twang" to them.

On another note, 11 Fish Crows have been hanging out in the now closed Marsh Supermarket parking lot on the S Side of West 38th St. The crows can be seen from the McDonalds restaurant and the Berger king. There have been American Crowns in these lots but not vary may lately.

spike

Back to top
Date: 7/30/19 8:15 am
From: John Winebrenner <in-bird-l...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] [External] Potato Creek S.P.
-------

   Lisa and I spent this past weekend camping at Potato Creek State Park. It didn't seem real birdy, but we did have a Wood Thrush and a Y.B. Cuckoo singing behind the campsite through most of the weekend, which was pretty cool. Most of the other birds listed below (39 species) were seen/heard along the bike path as we were riding:
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon)  10    All in one group, flying over the campground
Mourning Dove  2
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  2
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1
Turkey Vulture  2
Osprey  2    Nesting pair
Broad-winged Hawk  1    Heard only, somewhere near Campsite 117
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Downy Woodpecker  1
Pileated Woodpecker  1    Near campsite 117
Northern Flicker  2
Eastern Wood-Pewee  3
Acadian Flycatcher  1
Great Crested Flycatcher  1
White-eyed Vireo  2
Yellow-throated Vireo  1
Red-eyed Vireo  4
Blue Jay  5
American Crow  11
Barn Swallow  1
Black-capped Chickadee  1
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
House Wren  1
Carolina Wren  2
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  1
Wood Thrush  5
American Robin  6
Gray Catbird  4
House Finch  1
American Goldfinch  8
Chipping Sparrow  2
Song Sparrow  1
Eastern Towhee  4
Red-winged Blackbird  1
Common Yellowthroat  4
Scarlet Tanager  1    Heard in the campground
Northern Cardinal  3
Indigo Bunting  8
Dickcissel  1
John WinebrennerFort Wayne

Back to top
Date: 7/29/19 7:20 am
From: Steve Pancol <s.pancol...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] [External] Madison County shorebirds 7/29/19
-------

Rangeline Road, .3 miles south of intersect of
Cross Street and Rangeline:
9 Solitary Sandpiper
1 Pectoral Sandpiper
11 Killdeer
2 Robin
2 Mallard-female
6 Starling

--
Steve Pancol
Anderson,Indiana

Back to top
Date: 7/29/19 7:03 am
From: Spring Ryding <smelryd...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] turkey vultures
The past few days, I've startled a pair of turkey vultures off my house
when heading out to the car. That includes this morning. My gosh,
those birds are big.

Spring Ryding
southern Monroe County

Back to top
Date: 7/29/19 6:48 am
From: Peter Scott <Peter.Scott...>
Subject: Re: [IN-BIRD-L] Parke County Indigo Bunting Survey
Congratulations! A record that will not be broken, I predict. Looking forward to September at the Lakefront. Diana and I leave Thursday for washington state, where I will spend some time in the North Cascades (chasing rosy-finch, etc) and offshore on a pelagic trip. Back Aug 12

Peter

________________________________
Date: 7/28/19 4:06 pm
From: Becky <in-bird-l...>
The 7/28/19 Sunday bird hike tallied 89 species. The list follows:

| Canada Goose |

| Wood Duck |

| Mallard |

| Double-crested Cormorant |

| Great blue Heron |

| Great Egret |

| Green Heron |

| Black-crowned Night Heron |

| Turkey Vulture |

| Osprey |

| Bald Eagle |

| Red-shouldered Hawk |

| Red-tailed Hawk |

| American Kestrel |

| Killdeer |

| Spotted Sandpiper |

| Least Sandpiper |

| Ring-billed Gull |

| Rock Pigeon |

| Mourning Dove |

| Black-billed Cuckoo |

| Yellow-billed Cuckoo |

| Barred Owl |

| Chimney Swift |

| Ruby-throated Hummingbird |

| Belted Kingfisher |

| Red-headed Woodpecker |

| Red-bellied Woodpecker |

| Downy Woodpecker |

| Hairy Woodpecker |

| Northern Flicker |

| Pileated Woodpecker |

| Eastern Wood Pewee |

| Acadian Flycatcher |

| Willow Flycatcher |

| Eastern Phoebe |

| Great Crested Flycatcher |

| Eastern Kingbird |

| White-eyed Vireo |

| Warbling Vireo |

| Red-eyed Vireo |

| Blue Jay |

| American Crow |

| Fish Crow |

| Purple Martin |

| Tree Swallow |

| Northern Rough-winged |

| Cliff Swallow |

| Barn Swallow |

| Carolina Chickadee |

| Tufted Titmouse |

| White-breasted Nuthatch |

| Carolina Wren |

| House Wren |

| Blue-gray Gnatcatcher |

| Ruby-crowned Kinglet |

| Eastern Bluebird |

| Wood Thrush |

| American Robin |

| Gray Catbird |

| Northern Mockingbird |

| Brown Thrasher |

| European Starling |

| American Pipit |

| Cedar Waxwing |

| Northern Parula |

| Yellow Warbler |

| Yellow-throated Warbler |

| Cerulean Warbler |

| Louisiana Waterthrush |

| Common Yellowthroat |

| Yellow-breasted Chat |

| Eastern Towhee |

| Chipping Sparrow |

| Field Sparrow |

| Savannah Sparrow |

| Henslow's Sparrow |

| Song Sparrow |

| Summer Tanager |

| Scarlet Tanager |

| Northern Cardinal |

| Blue grosbeak |

Date: 7/27/19 8:45 pm
From: Alan Bruner <abbird...>
Today, 27 July, Rusty McIntyre, Mike Brittain, Kyle Rush, and Alan Bruner surveyed Indigo Buntings in Parke County.  This year 493 miles of Parke County roads were traveled while counting all Indigo Buntings seen or heard.  Rusty and Mike covered the northern half of the county while Kyle and Alan covered the southern half from sunup to sundown.All surveying was done by car and no audio playback equipment was used.A goal of 1000 Indigo Buntings observed by two field parties was set. Not only was the goal exceeded but a new single party count was established.From 5:54 am to 8:40 pm 1031 buntings were noted and one party counted 659 buntings, exceeding the previous record of 622.
Alan W. BrunerMarshall, IN

Back to top
Date: 7/26/19 2:55 pm
From: Steve Pancol <s.pancol...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] [External] Summit Lake State Park 7/26/19
-------

Summit Lake State Park - Henry County 7/26/19
Very Slow. Not much singing in the dog days of summer
and post-breeding season.
2 Black Vultures - In the dead tree roost near the
beach concession stand at the edge of the forest.
14 Turkey Vultures had already left the roost and
5 vultures were left. Two of them were Black
Vultures. Since roosting, I don't know if they are
permanent residents or just wandered up here from
Brookville Reservoir. When they left they flew straight
south.
1 Common Loon - non-breeding plumaged loon. Has
been here for a while. A large loon with large bill. Bill
held straight or horizontal at all times.
14 Red-winged Blackbird
1 Bluebird
8 Catbirds
1 Indigo Bunting
115 Canada Goose
6 Ring-billed Gulls
2 Northern Flicker
3 Crows
4 Starlings
14 Cardinals
17 Turkey Vultures
21 Barn Swallows
3 Rough-winged Swallows
8 Song Sparrows
2 Common Yellowthroats
2 Blue Jay
1 Yellow Warbler
11 Grackle
1 Field Sparrow
1 Spotted Sandpiper
2 Killdeer
1 White-eyed Vireo
2 Rock Dove
1 Cedar Waxwing
6 Mourning Dove
1 Eastern Towhee
1 Great-crested Flycatcher
2 Ruby-throated Hummingbird
8 Chipping Sparrow
1 Great Blue Heron
3 Wood Ducks
1 Green Heron
2 Yellow-billed Cuckoo
2 Brown Thrasher
1 Mockingbird
6 Eastern Kingbird
3 Eastern Meadowlarks
8 American Goldfinch
1 House Wren

--
Steve Pancol
Anderson,Indiana

Back to top
Date: 7/24/19 4:22 am
From: Larry Caldwell <finrod...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Blue Grosbeak
Had an adult male blue grosbeak at our backyard platform feeder
yesterday, late afternoon: first time this has happened in the 16 years
we have lived here. Since we are surrounded by forest and the blue
grosbeak is not ordinarily a  forest bird, I suspect the recent third
cutting of hay a mile or so away has disrupted the fields where we more
typically see them; and in any case the nesting period is probably over.

Larry Caldwell

Perry County

Back to top
Date: 7/23/19 6:54 pm
From: Steve Pancol <s.pancol...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] 7/23/19 - Summit Lake, Killbuck Creek east, Killbuck Creek west
Summit Lake State Park - 7/23/19
1 Common Loon - a non-breeding plumaged Common
Loon was in the middle of the lake, near the small island
at the north end of the lake. Best viewed from the north
lake overlook.
1 Dickcissel
4 Common Grackles
10 Red-winged Blackbirds
6 Barn Swallows
1 Yellow Warbler
2 Purple Martin
6 Crows
2 Phoebe
2 Eastern Kingbird
1 Willow Flycatcher
1 Belted Kingfisher
6 Turkey Vulture
1 Green Heron
2 Great Blue Heron
8 Double-crested Cormorants
1 Ring-billed Gull
1 Yellow-billed Cuckoo
12 Wood Ducks
60 Canada Goose

7/23/19 - Killbuck Creek East - Richland Township
3 Great Blue Heron
10 Mourning Dove
1 Yellow-billed Cuckoo
3 Chimney Swift
3 Downy Woodpecker
1 Eastern Kingbird
7 Cliff Swallow - C.R. 600 Bridge in Moonsville
1 Barn Swallow
3 Carolina Wren
3 House Wren
4 Gray Catbird
6 Eastern Bluebird
2 Wood Thrush
13 American Robin
1 Tufted Titmouse
1 White-breasted Nuthatch
1 Crow
6 Starling
1 Common Yellowthroat
1 Scarlet Tanager
4 Vesper Sparrows
7 Song Sparrows
9 Cardinal
8 Indigo Bunting
3 Red-winged Blackbird
1 Common Grackle
4 Brown-headed Cowbird
1 Baltimore Oriole
2 House Finch
1 House Sparrow

7/23/19 Killbuck Creek West - Richland Township
24 Canada Goose
1 Red-tailed Hawk
2 American Kestral
6 Mourning Dove
1 Ruby-throated Hummingbird
1 Red-headed Woodpecker
1 Eastern Phoebe
3 Eastern Kingbird
12 Barn Swallow
4 Cedar Waxwing
2 Carolina Wren
4 Eastern Bluebird
5 Robins
3 Crows
16 Starlings
1 Chipping Sparrow
1 Field Sparrow
2 Song Sparrow
2 Cardinals
3 Red-winged Blackbird
1 House Sparrow

--
Steve Pancol
Anderson,Indiana

Back to top
Date: 7/22/19 1:59 pm
From: zzedpowers <in-bird-l...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Black-crowned Night-Heron, Ft Wayne zoo
On a visit to the Fort Wayne Children's Zoo, we spotted a Black-crowned Night-Heron perched on a rock at the edge of the duck pond.  There is one there almost every summer, but we hadn't heard of one this year.
Ed Powers, Allen County

Back to top
Date: 7/21/19 6:42 pm
From: Becky <in-bird-l...>
The 7/21/19 Sunday bird hike at Eagle Creek tallied 83 species. The list follows:

| Canada Goose |

| Wood Duck |

| Mallard |

| Double-crested Cormorant |

| Great blue Heron |

| Great Egret |

| Green Heron |

| Turkey Vulture |

| Osprey |

| Bald Eagle |

| Red-shouldered Hawk |

| Red-tailed Hawk |

| American Kestrel |

| Killdeer |

| Solitary Sandpiper |

| Ring-billed Gull |

| Forster's Tern |

| Rock Pigeon |

| Mourning Dove |

| Yellow-billed Cuckoo |

| Barred Owl |

| Ruby-throated Hummingbird |

| Belted Kingfisher |

| Red-headed Woodpecker |

| Red-bellied Woodpecker |

| Downy Woodpecker |

| Hairy Woodpecker |

| Northern Flicker |

| Pileated Woodpecker |

| Eastern Wood Pewee |

| Acadian Flycatcher |

| Eastern Phoebe |

| Great Crested Flycatcher |

| Eastern Kingbird |

| White-eyed Vireo |

| Yellow-throated Vireo |

| Red-eyed Vireo |

| Blue Jay |

| American Crow |

| Fish Crow |

| Purple Martin |

| Tree Swallow |

| Cliff Swallow |

| Barn Swallow |

| Carolina Chickadee |

| Tufted Titmouse |

| White-breasted Nuthatch |

| Carolina Wren |

| House Wren |

| Blue-gray Gnatcatcher |

| Eastern Bluebird |

| Wood Thrush |

| American Robin |

| Gray Catbird |

| Northern Mockingbird |

| Brown Thrasher |

| European Starling |

| Cedar Waxwing |

| Northern Parula |

| Yellow Warbler |

| Yellow-throated Warbler |

| Cerulean Warbler |

| Kentucky Warbler |

| Common Yellowthroat |

| Yellow-breasted Chat |

| Eastern Towhee |

| Chipping Sparrow |

| Field Sparrow |

| Savannah Sparrow |

| Henslow's Sparrow |

| Song Sparrow |

| Summer Tanager |

| Scarlet Tanager |

| Northern Cardinal |

| Indigo Bunting |

| Dickcissel |

Date: 7/21/19 3:57 pm
From: Patricia Reynolds <eagleowl4180...>
Subject: Re: [IN-BIRD-L] Crows @ suet feeder
LOL   they are SMART!

PattiIndiana Raptor Center
On Sunday, July 21, 2019, 2:27:45 PM EDT, ROBERT BARBER <robert_barber_389...> wrote:

Finally I got photos of A. Crows feeding on one of our suet feeders..All five are also learning to pull up a chain, use their feet to hold the chain and then hold the suet cage with their beak, clamp down on the cage with a foot and destroy the suet cake so they all can feed off the ground.

www.flickr.com/photos/crowwarrior44/48339354122

5 photos sequence.    Got a 20 sec, 70.6MB video but can't figure out how to upload.  Any suggestions would be GREAT.

Next project is get stills and movie of them doing the chain pull.

Robert E. Barber
3322 Tunnelton Road
Bedford, IN. 47421
H: 812-277-0347
C:812-797-2856
http://www.flickr.com/photos/crowwarrior44/
<robert_barber_389...>

Back to top
Date: 7/21/19 11:27 am
From: ROBERT BARBER <robert_barber_389...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Crows @ suet feeder
Finally I got photos of A. Crows feeding on one of our suet feeders..All five are also learning to pull up a chain, use their feet to hold the chain and then hold the suet cage with their beak, clamp down on the cage with a foot and destroy the suet cake so they all can feed off the ground.http://www.flickr.com/photos/crowwarrior44/48339354122

5 photos sequence. Got a 20 sec, 70.6MB video but can't figure out how to upload. Any suggestions would be GREAT.

Next project is get stills and movie of them doing the chain pull.

Robert E. Barber
3322 Tunnelton Road
Bedford, IN. 47421
H: 812-277-0347
C:812-797-2856
http://www.flickr.com/photos/crowwarrior44/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/crowwarrior44/
<robert_barber_389...> mailto:<robert_barber_389...>

Join us on Facebook!