IN-BIRD-L
Received From Subject
6/16/24 1:23 pm Greene, Terri B <tgreene...> [IN-BIRD-L] Monroe County birds
6/12/24 1:20 pm \<zzedpowers...>\ <in-bird-l...> [IN-BIRD-L] American White Pelican at Eagle Marsh
6/8/24 12:55 pm Doug Johnstone <dougcher2080...> [IN-BIRD-L] Osprey Waverly Park Morgan Co.
6/7/24 12:09 pm Charles Crawford <cr4d...> Re: [IN-BIRD-L] Odd goose at Cane Ridge
6/7/24 11:04 am gary langell <in-bird-l...> Re: [IN-BIRD-L] Odd goose at Cane Ridge
6/7/24 10:42 am Charles Crawford <cr4d...> [IN-BIRD-L] Odd goose at Cane Ridge
5/30/24 3:59 am greg hess <hess_greg...> [IN-BIRD-L] Adult pair of Peacocks
5/26/24 8:58 am Don Gorney <in-bird-l...> [IN-BIRD-L] Ft. Harrison 5/26 - Chats, Osprey, Cedar Waxwing nests
5/24/24 10:09 am Whitney Yoerger <wyoerger...> [IN-BIRD-L] NO BIRD -- Invitation: June 8 Memorial in honor of Clinton C Murray

Back to top
Date: 6/16/24 1:23 pm
From: Greene, Terri B <tgreene...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Monroe County birds
I spent some time this afternoon catching up on entering my lists into eBird. Below are some of the recent ones.

I haven’t been feeding the birds regularly at my former residence on Snow Rd in SW Monroe Co since I moved into Bloomington last fall, but I put out sunflower seeds when I go out there to work on the house and yard. I also fill the hummingbird feeders. It seems like the birds know my vehicle and are waiting for a meal when they see me drive in.

I am feeding the birds regularly at my new home in the Bryan Park neighborhood not far south of the IU Bloomington campus. I’ve had a few unexpected species—like the White-crowned Sparrow that hung around for a few days in early May and a small flock of Pine Siskins who stopped at the feeders briefly on Dec. 23, 2023—but, of course, not the variety of species and numbers of individuals that I once saw at Snow Rd. It is interesting that my main woodpeckers in town are flickers, Red-headeds, and Downies. The flickers and Red-headeds rarely came to my feeders in the country. I especially miss the hummingbirds who went through gallons of sugar water each summer at my rural home! In my backyard here in town, I’ve grouped together some red salvias which caught the attention of a single hummer on a couple occasions. I’ve seen a lone hummer three times at my feeder in town. There’s an active House Wren nest in my shed in town.

Terri Greene
Bloomington, IN

Snow Rd, SW Monroe Co
Jun 10, 2024
Mourning Dove 3
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 10
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Downy Woodpecker 1
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Eastern Wood-Pewee 1
Acadian Flycatcher 1
Eastern Phoebe 1
White-eyed Vireo 1
Red-eyed Vireo 1
Blue Jay 1
American Crow 1
Carolina Chickadee 2
Tufted Titmouse 1
White-breasted Nuthatch 2
Carolina Wren 1
Wood Thrush 1
House Finch 2
American Goldfinch 1
Chipping Sparrow 1
Field Sparrow 1
Eastern Towhee 1
Yellow-breasted Chat 1
Red-winged Blackbird 1
Common Yellowthroat 1
Northern Parula 1
Northern Cardinal 3
Indigo Bunting 1

Snow Rd, SW Monroe Co
Jun 9, 2024
Mourning Dove 1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 9
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Eastern Phoebe 1
White-eyed Vireo 1
American Crow 3
Tufted Titmouse 1
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
House Finch 2
Field Sparrow 1
Yellow-breasted Chat 1
Common Yellowthroat 1
Prairie Warbler 1
Northern Cardinal 2
Indigo Bunting 1

My home in Bloomington, south of IU campus
Jun 7, 2024 7:30 AM
Tufted Titmouse 1
Gray Catbird 1
Chipping Sparrow 1
Jun 7, 2024 6:15 PM
Northern Flicker 1

Lee Phillips Rd, SW Monroe Co
Jun 6, 2024 5:30 PM
Eastern Kingbird 2

My home in Bloomington, south of IU campus
Jun 6, 2024 7:00 AM
Northern Flicker 1
White-breasted Nuthatch 1

My home in Bloomington, south of IU campus
Jun 5, 2024
Mourning Dove 6
Chimney Swift 5
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1
Turkey Vulture 1
Red-headed Woodpecker 2
Downy Woodpecker 3 Adult female and male and also a possible immature
Blue Jay 2
American Crow 4
Carolina Chickadee 1
House Wren 1
European Starling 2
Gray Catbird 1
Eastern Bluebird 1
American Robin 1
House Sparrow 2
House Finch 7
Chipping Sparrow 1
Song Sparrow 1
Brown-headed Cowbird 1
Northern Cardinal 4

My home in Bloomington, south of IU campus
Jun 4, 2024
Mourning Dove 1
Chimney Swift 1
Turkey Vulture 1
Red-headed Woodpecker 1
Downy Woodpecker 2 Adult male and a possible immature
Great Crested Flycatcher 1
Blue Jay 1
American Crow 1
Carolina Chickadee 1
Tufted Titmouse 1
House Wren 1
European Starling 2
Gray Catbird 1
House Sparrow 1
House Finch 4
Chipping Sparrow 1
Northern Cardinal 2

Snow Rd, SW Monroe Co
Jun 3, 2024
Mourning Dove 2
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 6
Turkey Vulture 1
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Downy Woodpecker 1
Eastern Wood-Pewee 1
Acadian Flycatcher 1
Eastern Phoebe 1
White-eyed Vireo 3
Red-eyed Vireo 1
Blue Jay 1
American Crow 1
Tufted Titmouse 2
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
Gray Catbird 1
Eastern Bluebird 1
Wood Thrush 1
American Goldfinch 1
Field Sparrow 1
Eastern Towhee 1
Yellow-breasted Chat 1
Common Grackle 1
Louisiana Waterthrush 1
Common Yellowthroat 1
Northern Parula 1
Prairie Warbler 1
Northern Cardinal 5
Indigo Bunting 1

Lee Phillips Rd, SW Monroe Co
Jun 3, 2024 11:25 AM
Killdeer 3

Victor Pike, SW Monroe Co
Jun 3, 2024 11:15 AM
Northern Mockingbird 2 near where Dillman Rd tees into Victor Pike

My home in Bloomington, south of IU campus
Jun 2, 2024
Mourning Dove 3
Chimney Swift 1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1
Turkey Vulture 1
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Red-headed Woodpecker 1
Downy Woodpecker 3 Adult male and female and a possible immature
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Blue Jay 1
American Crow 3
Carolina Chickadee 1
Tufted Titmouse 1
House Wren 1
Carolina Wren 1
European Starling 4
House Sparrow 4
House Finch 4
Song Sparrow 1
Common Grackle 1
Northern Cardinal 1

Bryan Park, Bloomington, IN
Jun 1, 2024
Chimney Swift 4
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Blue Jay 3
American Crow 1
Carolina Chickadee 1
European Starling 4
Gray Catbird 1
American Robin 6
Song Sparrow 1
Brown-headed Cowbird 1
Common Grackle 1
Northern Cardinal 1

These reports were generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

Back to top
Date: 6/12/24 1:20 pm
From: \<zzedpowers...>\ <in-bird-l...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] American White Pelican at Eagle Marsh
The pelicans were spotted a couple of days ago, so I made a quick stop to see if they were still there. I'm bemused that eBird thought they were unusual.
Eagle Marsh, Allen, Indiana, US
Jun 12, 2024 2:35 PM - 2:50 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
10 species

American White Pelican  5    Large white birds with large yellow bills with pouches. Continuing birds. Pelicans have been seen at Eagle Marsh 11 of the past 15 years.
Great Blue Heron  2
Tree Swallow  4
American Robin  1
American Goldfinch  2
Field Sparrow  1
Song Sparrow  2
Swamp Sparrow  1
Red-winged Blackbird  9
Common Yellowthroat  2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S181083764

Ed Powers

Back to top
Date: 6/8/24 12:55 pm
From: Doug Johnstone <dougcher2080...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Osprey Waverly Park Morgan Co.
Yesterday on walk along White River Trail at Waverly Park we saw an Osprey flying over the river. First we had seen there. Also saw 2 Bald Eagles which are common as well as kingfishers, a number of warblers, orioles, and other summer residents for a total of 37 species. Doug Johnstone, Morgan Co.

Back to top
Date: 6/7/24 12:09 pm
From: Charles Crawford <cr4d...>
Subject: Re: [IN-BIRD-L] Odd goose at Cane Ridge
Thanks to all who looked at the pix. Verdict seems to be a Bar-headed Goose Hybrid.

Cane Ridge WMA, Gibson, Indiana, US
Jun 7, 2024 6:45 AM - 7:00 AM
Protocol: Stationary
18 species (+2 other taxa)

Canada Goose 300
goose sp. 1 Perhaps a Bar-headed Goose hybrid
Mallard 1
Northern Bobwhite 2
Mourning Dove 3
Yellow-billed Cuckoo 1
Killdeer 5
Least Tern 1
Great Blue Heron (Great Blue) 1
Eastern Kingbird 1
White-eyed Vireo 1
American Crow 2
Tufted Titmouse 1
swallow sp. X
Brown Thrasher 1
Red-winged Blackbird X
Common Grackle X
Common Yellowthroat 1
Northern Cardinal 1
Dickcissel 1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S179915024 <https://ebird.org/checklist/S179915024>

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home <https://ebird.org/home>)

Charlie
Henderson KY

Back to top
Date: 6/7/24 11:04 am
From: gary langell <in-bird-l...>
Bar-headed Goose.  Most likely an escapee.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
Gary Langell4202 W Morgan Circle Ellettsville, IN 47429(812) 360-3627

On Friday, June 7, 2024, 1:42 PM, Charles Crawford <cr4d...> wrote:

Can anyone help?
Cane Ridge WMA, Gibson, Indiana, US
Jun 7, 2024 6:45 AM - 7:00 AM
Protocol: Stationary
18 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose  300     JPGs. CANG with odd-ball goose.
Mallard  1
Northern Bobwhite  2
Mourning Dove  3
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  1
Killdeer  5
Least Tern  1
Great Blue Heron (Great Blue)  1
Eastern Kingbird  1
White-eyed Vireo  1
American Crow  2
Tufted Titmouse  1
swallow sp.  X
Brown Thrasher  1
Red-winged Blackbird  X
Common Grackle  X
Common Yellowthroat  1
Northern Cardinal  1
Dickcissel  1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S179915024

CharlieHenderson KY

Back to top

Date: 5/30/24 3:59 am
From: greg hess <hess_greg...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Adult pair of Peacocks
At 6:40am this morning we had an adult pair (M & F) in our front yard on Amherst Rd, just off N Maple Grove NW of downtown Bloomington.

Back to top
Date: 5/26/24 8:58 am
From: Don Gorney <in-bird-l...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Ft. Harrison 5/26 - Chats, Osprey, Cedar Waxwing nests
The last of the spring migration birds walks was held May 26th at Ft. Harrison State Park, Indianapolis. Consistent with my experience over the last few weeks, the walk had few migrants  and most birds were high in the trees. We once again birded Walnut Plantation after the end of the regular walk. In all, we had 57 species. Highlights include three Yellow-breasted Chats, Osprey, a pair of cooperative Green Herons, two Great Egrets, male Blackburnian Warbler, both orioles, and a lot of Cedar Waxwings with two waxwing nests found by Kurt E. The complete list is below.
Many thanks to all who came out on one or more of the bird walks this spring. Fall migration bird walks will be held in September and October at Ft. Harrison. We will meet at 8am in the NE corner of Delaware Lake parking lot. Until then, I'll see you on the birding trail.
Fort Harrison SP, Marion, Indiana, US
May 26, 2024 7:45 AM - 10:50 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.36 mile(s)
57 species

Canada Goose  11
Mallard  2
Mourning Dove  1
Chimney Swift  3
Green Heron  2
Great Egret  2
Great Blue Heron (Great Blue)  6
Turkey Vulture  2
Osprey  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  4
Downy Woodpecker  2
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  3
Acadian Flycatcher  1
Great Crested Flycatcher  2
Eastern Kingbird  1
Warbling Vireo  5
Red-eyed Vireo  3
Blue Jay  2
Carolina Chickadee  5
Tufted Titmouse  4
Purple Martin  6
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  2
Cliff Swallow  3
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  9
House Wren  5
Carolina Wren  2
European Starling  4
Gray Catbird  2
Brown Thrasher  1
Eastern Bluebird  4
American Robin  13
Cedar Waxwing  20
House Sparrow  3
House Finch  3
American Goldfinch  16
Chipping Sparrow  2
Field Sparrow  2
Song Sparrow  7
Eastern Towhee  2
Yellow-breasted Chat  3
Orchard Oriole  1
Baltimore Oriole  5
Red-winged Blackbird  6
Brown-headed Cowbird  17
Common Grackle  3
Common Yellowthroat  3
American Redstart  1
Northern Parula  1
Blackburnian Warbler  1
Yellow Warbler  2
Yellow-throated Warbler  1
Summer Tanager  1
Northern Cardinal  12
Indigo Bunting  5

Don Gorney
Indianapolis, IN
317.501.4212
dongorney AT yahoo.com

Back to top
Date: 5/24/24 10:09 am
From: Whitney Yoerger <wyoerger...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] NO BIRD -- Invitation: June 8 Memorial in honor of Clinton C Murray
I’m sharing the invitation below for a memorial service in honor of Clint
Murray, Hoosier bird conservationist and founder of the Lye Creek Prairie
Burn in Montgomery County. This is for those of you who knew Clint and
would like to pay your respects.

For questions, please contact Shari McCollough at <shar_m_mac...> or
email <rememberingclintmurray...>