IN-BIRD-L
Received From Subject
1/15/22 10:38 am Tom and Ann <annntom...> [IN-BIRD-L] Lamb Lake
1/14/22 11:59 am zzedpowers <in-bird-l...> [IN-BIRD-L] Fort Wayne wastewater settling ponds
1/9/22 2:47 pm zzedpowers <in-bird-l...> [IN-BIRD-L] River Rd, Huntington Co; Salamonie Lake, Wabash/Huntington Co
1/8/22 5:24 pm Donna McCarty <donnalmccarty...> [IN-BIRD-L] Amos Butler Audubon Society Birdathon Request for Grant Proposals
1/8/22 4:58 pm Donald McCarty <mccartydd...> [IN-BIRD-L] Amos Butler Audubon Society Birdathon Request for Grant Proposals
1/8/22 4:51 pm Greene, Terri B <tgreene...> [IN-BIRD-L] Mostly yard birds, SW Monroe Co
1/4/22 11:28 am Greene, Terri B <tgreene...> [IN-BIRD-L] Waxwings and cranes, SW Monroe Co
12/30/21 4:23 am Spike Selig <spikeselig...> [IN-BIRD-L] 2 miles of sparrows includin White Crown and Vespers
12/29/21 7:30 pm Spike Selig <spikeselig...> [IN-BIRD-L] Hawks E of St Malachi Church 750 N
12/25/21 4:26 pm Greene, Terri B <tgreene...> [IN-BIRD-L] Mostly yard birds: SW Monroe Co, N Lawrence Co
12/19/21 4:01 pm Greene, Terri B <tgreene...> [IN-BIRD-L] Mostly yard birds, SW Monroe Co
12/18/21 10:40 am Spike Selig <spikeselig...> [IN-BIRD-L] Northern Red-tail, Western Redtail, snow goose St Malachi Church

Back to top
Date: 1/15/22 10:38 am
From: Tom and Ann <annntom...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Lamb Lake
The winter often brings some of our most interesting sightings. Generally this occurs when the lake is most frozen. While this winter has not been as cold and the lake has frozen over half of its surface we have gotten some interesting birds
Snow Goose 1 dark phase 1-12
Rossís Goose 1-14 and 1-15 traveling with a large group of Canada Geese-very white with a small bill and about half the size of the CaGo
Common Merganser 1M 1-12 and 1-14
Sharp Shinned Hawk hunting birds by the feeders
These birds are rare here and the Rossís is a first for me for the lake. #190for my area. This in a year where it took 2 weeks to see a Blue Jay and a Goldfinch.
Tom Hougham
On Lamb Lake in SW Johnson Co

Back to top
Date: 1/14/22 11:59 am
From: zzedpowers <in-bird-l...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Fort Wayne wastewater settling ponds
These ponds, located near the Maumee River and Colosseum Boulevard, have been a good place to look for overwintering waterfowl.  When I viewed them today, they were completely frozen over -- I have never seen them frozen before.  As a result, there was nothing there.  There were a few waterfowl on the river, however, including an unexpected Tundra Swan, near the Colosseum  Boulevard bridge.
Fort Wayne Water Treatment Plant, Allen, Indiana, US
Jan 14, 2022 11:35 AM - 12:15 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.55 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:    35 F, cloudy, light wind
3 species

Canada Goose  80
Tundra Swan  1  immature.  Almost all white, with some remaining grey feathers, and a black bill with a pinkish cast.
Mallard  10

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S100723446

Ed Powers, Allen County

Back to top
Date: 1/9/22 2:47 pm
From: zzedpowers <in-bird-l...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] River Rd, Huntington Co; Salamonie Lake, Wabash/Huntington Co
We enjoyed a pleasant, albeit cold and windy day in the Salamonie Lake environs.  We birded mostly from the car, other than a stop at the Interpretive center.  I stepped out of the car at one point and nearly lost my hat.
River Road was not productive, except for a FOY Rough-legged Hawk.
River Road, Huntington Co, Huntington, Indiana, US
Jan 9, 2022 1:10 PM - 1:35 PM
Protocol: Traveling
4.1 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:    35 F, partly cloudy, moderate wind
3 species

Canada Goose  9
Mallard  20
Rough-legged Hawk  1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S100455232

Salamonie might have produced more if we hadn't cowered in the car.

Salamonie Lake (Entire Reservoir and Property), Wabash, Indiana, US
Jan 9, 2022 1:45 PM - 3:15 PM
Protocol: Traveling
16.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:    33 F dropping to 30 F, partly cloudy, strong wind
15 species

Ring-billed Gull  10  FOY
Bald Eagle  5   FOY
Red-headed Woodpecker  2  FOY
Red-bellied Woodpecker  2
American Kestrel  1
Blue Jay  2
American Crow  11
Carolina Chickadee  2
Tufted Titmouse  2
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
House Sparrow  5
House Finch  1
American Goldfinch  17
Dark-eyed Junco  3
Northern Cardinal  2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S100455996

Back to top
Date: 1/8/22 5:24 pm
From: Donna McCarty <donnalmccarty...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Amos Butler Audubon Society Birdathon Request for Grant Proposals
Amos Butler Audubon Society Birdathon Request for Grant Proposals

Amos Butler Audubon Society is a nonprofit organization which promotes the enjoyment and stewardship of the birds of Central Indiana by protecting natural areas, supporting ecological research, educating the public and by taking part in appropriate advocacy to protect the environment with an emphasis on birds of Central Indiana and their habitats.

To further this mission, the organization awards small grants to support Indiana-based research or other projects that benefit the birds of Central Indiana with preference given to grants submitted for our service area of Marion and the surrounding counties. To apply for a grant, please contact Birdathon Chair, Donna McCarty at <donnalmccarty...> and request the grant proposal guidelines. The funding guidelines are also available on the Amos Butler Audubon Society website, www.amosbutleraudubon.org. It can be accessed from the top menu bar of the website. Place cursor over Birdathon to reveal the menu. You can also click on the Birdathon box on the right side of the home page. The Word document can be obtained from the link at the bottom of the page.

The Birdathon Grant Guidelines page is at

https://www.amosbutleraudubon.org/birdathon/birdathon-grant-guidelines/

All funding requests should be submitted by February 25, 2022.

Donna McCarty
Amos Butler Audubon Society Birdathon Chair
<donnalmccarty...>
317-299-5675
7492 Runningbrook Ct
Indianapolis, IN 46254

Back to top

Date: 1/8/22 4:51 pm
From: Greene, Terri B <tgreene...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Mostly yard birds, SW Monroe Co
All birds were seen at my home except for the kestrel I saw this afternoon on the power line at the west end of S. Lee Phillips Rd.

Terri Greene
SW Monroe Co

Jan 8, 2022

Turkey Vulture 1
Northern Flicker 1
American Robin 3
Cedar Waxwing 4

Lee Phillips Rd, Monroe, Indiana, US
Jan 8, 2022

American Kestrel 1

Jan 7, 2022

Mourning Dove 63
Red-bellied Woodpecker 2
Downy Woodpecker 2
Hairy Woodpecker 2
Blue Jay 10
American Crow 1
Carolina Chickadee 3
Tufted Titmouse 3
White-breasted Nuthatch 3
European Starling 21
House Sparrow 47
House Finch 14
Purple Finch 6
American Goldfinch 10
Fox Sparrow 1
Dark-eyed Junco 9
White-throated Sparrow 6
Song Sparrow 1
Eastern Towhee 1
Red-winged Blackbird 1
Northern Cardinal 19

These reports were generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

Back to top
Date: 1/4/22 11:28 am
From: Greene, Terri B <tgreene...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Waxwings and cranes, SW Monroe Co
34 Sandhill Cranes this afternoon and 34 Cedar Waxwings on Sunday.

Terri Greene
SW Monroe Co

Jan 4, 2022 1:45 PM

Sandhill Crane 34
Turkey Vulture 1

Jan 2, 2022 11:20 AM

Pileated Woodpecker 1
Blue Jay 1
American Robin 2
Cedar Waxwing 34

Date: 12/30/21 4:23 am
From: Spike Selig <spikeselig...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] 2 miles of sparrows includin White Crown and Vespers
For reasons unknown to me, the construction of airport related distribution buildings on Thompson Rd seems to have come to a halt., an area due S of the Indianapolis Airport tower on the S side of the interstate Thompson Rd
The access to this Rd has been blocked for some time with locked gates at both ends. Yesterday, Wed. 12 29 2020, the gates at both the Ronald Regan access and the E end of the road gate were open.
This Rd is first Rd. E of the entrance Rd to the Perdue research park.
The fields have gone to weed and have been taken over by large numbers of sparrows.
I took a short 1 lap cruise down Thompson and counted some of the more significant species.
        Eastern Red-tailed Hawk    2 sitting side by side in pair on high power transmission tower next to N-S entrance Rd.        Northern Harrier                  1  Have seen him in these fields many times        Northern Kestrel                  1        Ruby-crowned Kinglet         1        Tree Sparrows                      many, not counted        White-crowned Sparrow       Many, counted 3        Song Sparrow                       not counted        Vespers Sparrow                   1 seen I think more hidden in bushes         Field Sparrow                       Not countedWhile driving down from ST Malachi Church on Ronald Regan Dr. to Thompson Rd.         Canada Goose                     15          Mallard                                 10          Northern Pintail                     2          Buffle-head                           5          Eastern Red-tailed Hawk      2 paired u, side by side,  1 by itself.                                                    2

Back to top
Date: 12/29/21 7:30 pm
From: Spike Selig <spikeselig...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Hawks E of St Malachi Church 750 N
This morning I spent several hours combing the fields looking for a falcon I got one picture of  2 days ago.  No luck.
However, the 2 Northerns were paired up 1 mile S of nest at intersection of 56th St and Ronald Regan Parkway T.
The last time I went by the large silo on 750 a female Northern RTH was sitting on the silo.  When I sopped, the bird flew NE to the fields tree lined Eastern edge. It landed in the last tree to the North right in front of 2 houses.  I looked at the bird and found the intermediate Wester RTH was sitting side by side with it on the same branch.  They sat for 10 minuets together but flew back N when I pulled up between the 2 houses.
This Western has shown up at the Christmas Bird Count for three years in a row and stays in the large field area until mid January where it disappears again.  Could it be nesting? Could the Northern RTH be its mate?
Lauri Vos got a good picture of the pair in the tree next to the silo yesterday.
I will report on the falcon later but we are researching the identification on it. It might be an escape Alpomato Falcon.  The falconers have put a notice out to see if any falconer has had one of these birds fly away.  The bird had 2 bands on its leggs.
Spike

Back to top
Date: 12/25/21 4:26 pm
From: Greene, Terri B <tgreene...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Mostly yard birds: SW Monroe Co, N Lawrence Co
Terri's property and Snow Rd, Monroe, Indiana, US
Dec 25, 2021 7:50 AM - 5:50 PM
Protocol: Stationary
22 species

Mourning Dove 55
Turkey Vulture 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 2
Downy Woodpecker 3
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 1
Blue Jay 5
American Crow 1
Carolina Chickadee 2
Tufted Titmouse 4
White-breasted Nuthatch 2
European Starling 7
American Robin 3
Cedar Waxwing 13
House Sparrow 27
House Finch 10
Purple Finch 2 (1 male, 1 female)
American Goldfinch 5
Dark-eyed Junco 3
White-throated Sparrow 6
Song Sparrow 1
Northern Cardinal 8

Knob Creek Rd, Lawrence, Indiana, US
Dec 24, 2021
Protocol: Incidental
12 species

Turkey Vulture 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Downy Woodpecker 1
Blue Jay 1
Carolina Chickadee 2
Tufted Titmouse 2
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
Brown Creeper 1
House Finch 2
American Goldfinch 2
Dark-eyed Junco 3
Song Sparrow 1

Date: 12/19/21 4:01 pm
From: Greene, Terri B <tgreene...>
Terri's property and Snow Rd, Monroe, Indiana, US
Dec 19, 2021, 7:50 AM - 5:30 PM

Mourning Dove 92
Turkey Vulture 1
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Red-headed Woodpecker 1 Heard about a half mile south of my house while walking my dog Elliot.
Red-bellied Woodpecker 2
Downy Woodpecker 2
Blue Jay 10
American Crow 2
Carolina Chickadee 2
Tufted Titmouse 4
White-breasted Nuthatch 2
Eastern Bluebird 2
American Robin 2
House Sparrow 36
House Finch 8
American Goldfinch 4
Dark-eyed Junco 5
White-throated Sparrow 9
Song Sparrow 1
Eastern Towhee 1
Northern Cardinal 16

Lee Phillips Rd, Monroe, Indiana, US
Dec 14, 2021 9:10 AM

Red-shouldered Hawk 1 The hawk, carrying a small mammal (rabbit?), flew up out of the ditch as I drove by at the north end of the road.
American Kestrel 1 On its normal perch: the power line at the west end of the road.

Date: 12/18/21 10:40 am
From: Spike Selig <spikeselig...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Northern Red-tail, Western Redtail, snow goose St Malachi Church
I have been scouting the area of Malachi Church on 750 N West of the EAgle Creek Park' Eagle Hide away this week.
Birds seen within 3 days before and after the Christmas count of Egle Creek Valley are included in the count.
Thurs.  1,576 Ring-billed Gulls flew by Rick's Cafe on their morning procession from the roosting area of North mud flats of the park.
Both the adult male and female Northern were perch hunting the field with the tall silo on the N side of 750 just E of St Malachi.  The Western intermediate morph  RTH had been on some of the same perches Wednesday but it I could not get frontal looks until Saturday, this morning to make sure it was the Western.  If you want pictures, have camera ready when you stop your car as the bird is vary wary and flys to another purch within a moment of detection.
Friday, the female Northern that has nested in the nest SE of the church was sitting on the tree next the nest.  Later in the day both the male and female were in the field with the silo on N side of 750.
This morning also, St M's pond had about 30 Mallards 30 Canada Geese, and 1 white Snow Goose.
The field Just E of the church had several hundred Ring-billed Gulls and as many Canada Geese grazing in the stubble, the stuble close to ponds of water from the rain.
On Thursday, an oldtime birder from the Bud Starling days said a flock of Turkeys lived on the Next road to the North, Maloney Road.  One was feeding on his feeder 5 houses W of Raceway Rd. He said the flock gets on the feeders of his neighbor's houses and eat from their feeders.
I have not figured where the procession of gulls go after the pass over the dam heading South.  Only a few, possibly 20 stay on the lake and I was unable, in the low hazzy, rainy light to make out other species than Ring-bills.
N winds tonight should start the counted earlier this week 18,000 Sandhills moving South.  Should be a great day to keeps eyes on the sky and ears open. The Westerly winds this last 2 weeks could push in some good bird species and the northerly winds could start ernest duck migration.making it a great day to participate in the Christmas Count.Spike

Join us on Facebook!