ILbirds
Received From Subject
1/18/20 1:13 pm 'Robert D. Hughes' <rhughes.enteract...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...> IBET 2019 Montrose Birds & Birding Recap
1/15/20 7:28 pm Tyler Funk <fftfunk...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...> IBET February 1st IOS Field Trip to Stoney Island/Lake Calumet
1/10/20 2:28 pm Bob Fisher <BFisher928...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...> IBET Re: SHOREBIRDS Digest - 1 Oct 2019 to 9 Jan 2020 (#2020-1)
1/8/20 9:07 am Bob Fisher <BFisher928...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...> IBET Harlequin Duck in Lake county - any recent sightings

Back to top
Date: 1/18/20 1:13 pm
From: 'Robert D. Hughes' <rhughes.enteract...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET 2019 Montrose Birds & Birding Recap
2019 was a phenomenal year for birds and birding at Montrose Point in
Chicago, both for migration and the number of rarities and vagrants
seen. We also had a historic nesting record. I can't remember a more
exciting year, and I've been birding Montrose for over 40 years. Some of
the notable happenings include

Ancient Murrelet (first site record, fourth state record)
Cassin's Kingbird (first site record, first state record)
Long-billed Curlew (first site record, first state record in 40+ years)
Black Vulture (first site record)
Barred Owl (first site record)
Townsend's Warbler (second site record)
Snowy Plover (third site record)
Black-bellied Whistling-Duck (second site record)
Nesting Piping Plovers (first successful nesting in Chicago in over 50
years)

By my tally, at least five new species were added to the list of birds
recorded at Montrose, bringing the total to 347 or 348, depending on
which list is used (eBird vs. mine). This is above the 2-3 yearly
average for the last few years. I'm not sure why 2019 was so special but
350 is within striking distance and will likely happen in 2020 (there is
a long list of possibilities; Eastern Screech-Owl is a glaring absence).
I maintain a list of birds recorded at Montrose on my WordPress blog,
URL below.

http://theorniphile.info/wordpress/the-montrose-list/

Robert D. Hughes
Chicago, Illinois
Birding Montrose Point:
http://theorniphile.info/birding-montrose-point/index.html
The Montrose Birding Blog:http://theorniphile.info/wordpress/
Twitter:https://twitter.com/robertdhughes63

------------------------------------
Posted by: "Robert D. Hughes" <rhughes.enteract...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
<ILbirds-digest...>
<ILbirds-fullfeatured...>

<ILbirds-unsubscribe...>

Back to top
Date: 1/15/20 7:28 pm
From: Tyler Funk <fftfunk...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET February 1st IOS Field Trip to Stoney Island/Lake Calumet
Hello Bird Fans!

Here is another great opportunity to bird around the Chicago Area. The
field trip will be led by Walter Marcisz, who is an excellent birder and is
very familiar with this area. This is an Illinois Ornithological Society
(IOS) sponsored trip and requires membership and registration to
attend. Follow this link to access the IOS website to become a member:
http://bit.ly/2XZAhOn
Registration for the field trip for members can be accessed from this link:
http://bit.ly/2Mt1C6M

[image: 02-13-2014 Lake Carlyle Long-tailed Duck.jpg]

*February 1st:*

*Lake Calumet Area & Stoney Island with Walter Marcisz*

*[image: image.png]*
*Meet Walter at 8:00am in the parking lot along 122nd Street between Stoney
Island and S. Torrence Ave. Directions to the parking area from this link:
http://bit.ly/2JL2SNY <http://bit.ly/2JL2SNY>. We will start at the Stoney
Island landfill looking for raptors and gulls. We will then scan for gulls,
waterfowl and eagles in the Calumet River at the south end of Stoney Island
Ave. Wolf Lake and the State Line Road will also be checked for birds using
available open water in the area. Our last stop for this field trip will be
at Bend in the Little Calumet River. This is typically a great place to
find a variety of waterfowl this time of year. You will want to dress
warmly and bring your own food and drink. *

------------------------------------
Posted by: Tyler Funk <fftfunk...>

Date: 1/10/20 2:28 pm
From: Bob Fisher <BFisher928...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Re: SHOREBIRDS Digest - 1 Oct 2019 to 9 Jan 2020 (#2020-1)
I know its not shorebird season (yet) but I thought you might find the James Bay reports from last fall of interest.If the link doesn't go through, just google .jamesbayshorebirdproject.com/seasonsummariesRegards
Bob Fisher

In a message dated 1/9/2020 11:00:25 PM Central Standard Time, <LISTSERV...> writes:

There is 1 message totaling 22 lines in this issue.
Topics of the day:
  1. James Bay shorebird project 2019 aerial survey summary
Date:    Thu, 9 Jan 2020 12:52:34 -0500From:    Christian Friis <friis.christian...>Subject: James Bay shorebird project 2019 aerial survey summary
Happy New Year!I finally posted the 2019 aerial survey summary on our website: https://www.jamesbayshorebirdproject.com/aerial2019. Sincere thanks to Guy Morrison and Ken Ross for surveying and Mike Ellis for piloting! Further thanks to Yves Aubry, CWS Quebec for funding the Quebec portion of the work.Counts were significantly lower than in the previous three years and suggest a poor breeding season for Semipalmated Sandpiper and potentially other shorebird species. Apologies for the delay in posting this summary. Good birding,      ChristianCanadian Wildlife <Servicechristian.friis...>
------------------------------
End of SHOREBIRDS Digest - 1 Oct 2019 to 9 Jan 2020 (#2020-1)*************************************************************

Back to top
Date: 1/8/20 9:07 am
From: Bob Fisher <BFisher928...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Harlequin Duck in Lake county - any recent sightings
Has anyone seen the Waukegan bird recently, since Jan. 1? If so, please advise as I may be taking a ride up that way on Thursday.
Regards
Bob Fisher

<bfisher928...>

Join us on Facebook!