DE-BIRDS
Received From Subject
1/24/20 6:54 pm Andy Ednie, Claymont, DE. <000006be14ba5998-dmarc-request...> [de-birds] RBA: Birdline Dellaware, January 24th, 2020
1/24/20 2:42 pm Andy Ednie, Claymont, DE. <000006be14ba5998-dmarc-request...> [de-birds] Brandywine Creek Birdwalk Rescheduled
1/14/20 4:57 pm Richard Julian <rwjulian66...> [de-birds] Cape Henlopen State Park Bird Walk Sightings, Tuesday January 14, 2020
1/14/20 7:10 am sally o'byrne <salobyrne...> [de-birds] Alapocas walk canceled
1/14/20 3:08 am Richard Julian <rwjulian66...> [de-birds] Cape Henlopen Bird Walk Tuesday Jan. 14 at 9am
1/13/20 6:33 am Jim Rapp <dlitedirector...> [de-birds] Jan. 24-26: Winter Delmarva Birding Weekend
1/12/20 7:43 pm Edward Crawford <coastalcoaster...> Re: [de-birds] Eagle show and more - lower, eastern Sussex County
1/12/20 3:32 pm Rob Blye <rwblye...> [de-birds] Eagle show and more - lower, eastern Sussex County
1/12/20 7:21 am Frank Rohrbacher <0000007c6769d2e2-dmarc-request...> [de-birds] Results of 2020 DOS Headstart Field Trip
1/10/20 6:52 pm Andy Ednie, Claymont, DE. <000006be14ba5998-dmarc-request...> [de-birds] RBA: Birdline Delaware, January 10th, 2020
1/10/20 3:27 pm chris ro <0000011d90053296-dmarc-request...> [de-birds] Wild Pink-footed Goose Chase?
1/10/20 12:06 pm Rob Blye <rwblye...> [de-birds] Two January days in contrast
1/10/20 7:31 am Frank Rohrbacher <0000007c6769d2e2-dmarc-request...> [de-birds] DOS Headstart Field Up-date
1/7/20 2:59 pm Frank Rohrbacher <0000007c6769d2e2-dmarc-request...> [de-birds] DOS Headstart Field Trip
1/6/20 2:51 pm Rob Davis <robsails...> Re: [de-birds] Abbott's Mill Bird Walk -Jan. 3, 2020
1/3/20 4:36 pm Andy Ednie, Claymont, DE. <000006be14ba5998-dmarc-request...> [de-birds] RBA: Birdline Delaware, January 3rd, 2020
1/3/20 10:05 am Alice Mohrman <alice...> [de-birds] Abbott's Mill Bird Walk -Jan. 3, 2020
1/3/20 4:51 am Billy Weber <robot.stories...> [de-birds] Assawoman, etc. - 1/2
1/2/20 3:07 pm Rob Blye <rwblye...> [de-birds] Abbotts Mill tomorrow
1/1/20 9:46 am Dick Plambeck <0000069bd5400b67-dmarc-request...> Re: [de-birds] Western Tanager: no joy
12/31/19 10:34 am Pat <pvaldata1...> Re: [de-birds] Western Tanager: no joy
12/30/19 2:28 pm Alice Mohrman <alice...> [de-birds] Abbott's Mill Bird Walk on Friday, Jan. 3 at 10:00 am
12/29/19 10:55 am sheilaannand . <sheila.annand...> Re: [de-birds] de-birds Digest - 27 Dec 2019 to 28 Dec 2019 (#2019-233)
12/29/19 10:52 am Mary Lukaszewski <mlukas...> [de-birds] Visit from a Carolina Wren
12/28/19 7:05 am Andy Ednie, Claymont, DE. <000006be14ba5998-dmarc-request...> [de-birds] RBA: Birdline Delaware, December 27th, 2019
12/27/19 12:36 pm David and Joy Peters <Trogon1000...> [de-birds] Question
12/27/19 7:52 am Frank Rohrbacher <0000007c6769d2e2-dmarc-request...> [de-birds] PHNWR Headquarters Area for the Cape Henlopen CBC
12/26/19 12:33 pm Gina Sheridan <gsherida8502...> [de-birds] Kent County Western Tanager & Canvasback
12/26/19 7:19 am Joe Hanfman <auk1844...> [de-birds] Western Tanager BBH

Back to top
Date: 1/24/20 6:54 pm
From: Andy Ednie, Claymont, DE. <000006be14ba5998-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [de-birds] RBA: Birdline Dellaware, January 24th, 2020
RBA
* Delaware
* Statewide
* January 24, 2020
* DEST 20.01.24

*Birds mentioned
PINK-FOOTED GOOSE
Ross’s Goose
Cackling Goose
Brant
Tundra Swan
Mute Swan
Gadwall
EURASIAN WIGEON
American Wigeon
Green-winged Teal
Canvasback
Ring-necked Duck
Lesser Scaup
HARLEQUIN DUCK
Common Eider
Black Scoter
White-winged Scoter
Surf Scoter
Long-tailed Duck
Bufflehead
Common Goldeneye
Common Merganser
Hooded Merganser
Red-breasted Merganser
Ruddy Duck
Wild Turkey
Pied-billed Grebe
Horned Grebe
Sora
Virginia Rail
American Coot
Sandhill Crane
American Avocet
Black-bellied Plover
Killdeer
Ruddy Turnstone
Sanderling
Dunlin
Purple Sandpiper
Willet
Lesser Yellowlegs
Forster’s Tern
Black-headed Gull
Bonaparte’s Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
GLAUCOUS GULL
RAZORBILL
Common Loon
Red-throated Loon
Great Cormorant
American Bittern
Great Egret
Tricolored Heron
Black-crowned Night Heron
NORTHERN GOSHAWK
ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK
Barred Owl
Short-eared Owl
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Harry Woodpecker
Pileated Woodpecker
Merlin
Peregrine Falcon
Eastern Phoebe
ASH-THROATED FLYCATCHER
Common Raven
Brown-headed Nuthatch
Brown Thrasher
Gray Catbird
Snow Bunting
American Tree Sparrow
Chipping Sparrow
LARK SPARROW
White-crowned Sparrow
Fox Sparrow
Eastern Meadowlark
Baltimore Oriole
Orange-crowned Warbler
Nashville Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Pine Warbler
Prairie Warbler
Palm Warbler
Common Yellowthroat

Hotline: Birdline Delaware
Date: January 24, 2019
To Report: Andy Ednie 302-792-9591 (VOICE)
Compiler: Andy Ednie (<ednieap...>)
Coverage: Delaware, Delmarva Peninsula, nearby Delaware Valley, Southern
New Jersey, Maryland

For Friday, January 24th, this is Birdline Delaware from the Delaware Museum of Natural History in Greenville. The unofficial Delaware Annual list for 2020 unofficial list is already at a whopping 178 species!

RAZORBILLS have been sighted along the Delaware Coast from Herring Point in Cape Henlopen State Park, south to Bethany Beach and Fenwick Island. The focal point of sightings has been at Indian River Inlet with a peak count of 4 RAZORBILLS seen off the jetty and in the inlet. Waterfowl reported included COMMON EIDER, LONG-TAILED DUCK, BUFFLEHEAD, RED-BREASTED MERGANSER, and all three species of SCOTER, WHITE-WINGED, BLACK, and SURF. A female HARLEQUIN DUCK was seen Tuesday and Wednesday. A first-year GLAUCOUS GULL was found today on the jetty. BONAPARTE’S and LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL were seen last weekend along with FORSTER’S TERN. Shorebirds seen included PURPLE SANDPIPER, RUDDY TURNSTONE, and SANDERLING. GREAT CORMORANT and NORTHERN GANNET were seen offshore.

An immature NORTHERN GOSHAWK was seen Wednesday flying out over the marsh at Burton’s Island, behind the North Marina. Waders seen there included TRICOLORED HERON, AMERICAN BITTERN, and BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERON. An AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHER was seen on Monday along with LESSER YELLOWLEGS. Waterfowl seen included BRANT, COMMON GOLDENEYE, BUFFLEHEAD, RED-BREASTED MERGANSER, and PIED-BILLED GREBE. A PALM WARBLER with YELLOW-RUMPED’S was seen in the cedar trees across from the overnight cabins at the North Marina.

An ASH-THROATED FLYCATCHER was found today at the Marion Okie Nature Preserve on Long Neck near Millsboro. To reach the site take Route 24 to Route 5 and drive east. The parking lot for the preserve is on the right side of the road past Pot Nets Trailer Park and before you get to Massey’s Landing. This bird was first discovered last week, but had been a hiatus until today. A MERLIN was seen at the Okie Nature Preserve earlier this week.

PRAIRIE and PINE WARBLER was found at James Farm Preserve along Cedar Neck Road in Ocean View. The previous reported EURASIAN WIGEON continues to be seen at Assawoman Wildlife Area near Fenwick Island. Other waterfowl reported included MUTE SWAN, GADWALL, AMERICAN WIGEON, RING-NECKED DUCK, and HOODED MERGANSER. BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCH and COMMON YELLOWTHROAT were reported by the observation tower.

The previously reported PINK-FOOTED GOOSE was found again today among 100,000 SNOW GEESE at the intersection of Wells and Buttonwood Road, north of Fowlers Beach near Prime Hook National Wildlife Refuge in Milton. 60 SNOW BUNTINGS were seen at Fowlers Beach along with IPSWICH SAVANNAH SPARROW and HORNED LARK. RUDDY TURNSTONE, SANDERLING, and DUNLIN were seen along the beach. 2 to 4 SHORT-EARED OWLS continue to be seen at Fowlers Beach Marsh. WILLET and 14 AMERICAN AVOCETS were seen at Prime Hook. WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS reported that Draper’s Road. A peak count of 64 WILD TURKEYS were found at Little Neck Wildlife Area off the Prime Hook Beach Road. PEREGRINE FALCON was seen at the Dupont Nature Center near Slaughters Beach. A LARK SPARROW was seen coming to a feeder near Argo’s Corner along Bucks Road last week, but not seen since. Several WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS at the feeder included a GAMBELL’S subspecies of WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW.

ROSS’S GOOSE was seen at Herring Point with a large flock of SNOW GEESE. There was a peak count of 9 LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULLS on the beach. SURF SCOTER, RED-THROATED, and COMMON LOON were seen offshore. BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCH was reported at the Seaside Nature Center. The previous reported BLACK-HEADED GULL continues to be seen at the Wolfs Neck Sewage Treatment Plant near Midway. BONAPARTE’S GULL, LESSER SCAUP, and NORTHERN SHOVELER were seen on the treatment ponds. CANVASBACK continue be seen at Silver Lake in Rehoboth Beach, along with HOODED MERGANSER, RUDDY DUCK, and AMERICAN COOT. A pair of TREE SWALLOWS was seen flying over Silver Lake yesterday. Also reported has been a BALTIMORE ORIOLE and an ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER coming to feeders in Lewes.

A NASHVILLE WARBLER was reported along the Bennett’s Pier Road in Milford Neck Wildlife Area along with several YELLOW RUMPED’S and CEDAR WAXWING. This bird was seen in the junipers just before the bear right sign on the way to the beach. BLACKBELLIED PLOVER, SANDERLING and DUNLIN were seen at Bennett’s Pier Beach. WILD TURKEY and EASTERN MEADOWLARK were seen along the roadway. PEREGRINE FALCON, BLACK and SURF SCOTER were seen at Big Stone Beach. RING-NECKED DUCK, BUFFLEHEAD, and SHOVELER were found at Tubbs Mill Pond in Milford. A lone CANVASBACK was in the retention pond along Route 1 south of Frederica. YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER and PILEATED WOODPECKER were found at Killen’s Pond State Park. A MERLIN was seen along scrap Tavern Road near Frederica.

SHORT-EARED OWLS continue be seen at Port Mahon near Dover. NORTHERN GANNET was seen offshore. The previously reported ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK continues to be seen intermittently by the fishing pier. HORNED GREBE, AMERICAN COOT, HOODED and COMMON MERGANSER was seen at Little Creek Wildlife Area. An EASTERN PHOEBE was seen along the central tower road.

A flock of 40 AMERICAN AVOCETS continue to be seen at Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge near Smyrna. Waterfowl reported included TUNDRA SWAN, AMERICAN WIGEON, BUFFLEHEAD, RUDDY DUCK, COMMON and HOODED MERGANSER. An AMERICAN TREE SPARROW was found today along the Saltmarsh Boardwalk near Raymond Pool. BARRED OWL was found in Finis Woods along with YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER, HAIRY, and PILEATED WOODPECKER. BROWN THRASHER was seen behind Bear Swamp. KILLDEER and EASTERN MEADOWLARK were found along Whitehall Neck Road.

A SORA was calling at the Ashton Tract in Augustine Wildlife Area near Port Penn. Waterfowl reported included MUTE SWAN, GADWALL, COMMON MERGANSER, and PIED-BILLED GREBE. ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER, GRAY CATBIRD, and FOX SPARROW were found in the woods. GREAT EGRET was reported at the Port Penn impoundments along Route 9. AMERICAN WIGEON, GREEN-WINGED TEAL, RING-NECKED DUCK, and AMERICAN COOT was found at Dragon Run marsh in Delaware City.

A COMMON RAVEN was reported in Newark at the intersection of S. College Ave. and I-95. COMMON MERGANSERS continue to be seen on Newark Reservoir. CHIPPING SPARROW was reported at Curtis Paper Mill Area in White Clay Creek State Park. BARRED OWL was heard calling along the red Clay Creek near Yorklyn.

Waterfowl on Hoopes Reservoir included RING-NECKED DUCK, BUFFLEHEAD, RUDDY DUCK, COMMON and HOODED MERGANSER. Harry’s Pond at the Brandywine Town center had RUDDY DUCK and HOODED MERGANSER. A YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER was found in the trees by the pond. A CACKLING GOOSE was found in Bellevue State Park by the track. YELLOW BELLIED SAPSUCKER was found by the tennis courts parking lot.

Thanks to all the people that make the Birdline possible, including Dave Fees, Josh Berman, Tim Carney, Chris Haddon, James Barry, Gina Sheridan, Denis Murphy, Pete Gibb, Rodney Murray, Curt Davis, Aaron Reb, Mike Moore, John Skibicki, Chris and Karen Bennett, Anthony Gonzon, Kitt Heckscher, Megan Kasprzak, Wayne Longbottom, John Long, Rich Clifton, Rob Blye, Ellen Jacobson, Sue Gruver, Sharon Lynn, Lynn Smith, Scott Northey, Amy and Jim White, Sally O’Byrne, Ryan Crane, Joe Swertinski and Joe Russell. Birdline needs your sightings. Please call your reports into 302-792-9591 or email <ednieap...> Until next week, this is Andy Ednie wishing you good birding!

-end transcript

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 1/24/20 2:42 pm
From: Andy Ednie, Claymont, DE. <000006be14ba5998-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [de-birds] Brandywine Creek Birdwalk Rescheduled
The monthly Saturday walk at Brandywine Creek State Park has been reschedule due to weather. We'll be conducting the walk on Sunday, January 26th, meet at the nature center off Addams Dam Road at 8 am.

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 1/14/20 4:57 pm
From: Richard Julian <rwjulian66...>
Subject: [de-birds] Cape Henlopen State Park Bird Walk Sightings, Tuesday January 14, 2020
Cape Henlopen State Park, Jan 14, 2020

Traveled between Nature Center, The Point, Fort Miles area and Herring Point
Raining and cool
22 species (+1 other taxa)

Brant 25
Surf Scoter 20
scoter sp. 3
Bufflehead 2
Red-breasted Merganser 15
Mourning Dove 3
Herring Gull 10
Great Black-backed Gull 3
Red-throated Loon 2
Northern Gannet 6
Double-crested Cormorant 1
Bald Eagle 2
Downy Woodpecker 1
Carolina Chickadee 6
Tufted Titmouse 2
Northern Mockingbird 1
Eastern Bluebird 10
American Robin 3
House Finch 15
Dark-eyed Junco 3
White-throated Sparrow 5
Eastern Towhee 1
Northern Cardinal 2

Submitted by Richard Julian

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 1/14/20 7:10 am
From: sally o'byrne <salobyrne...>
Subject: [de-birds] Alapocas walk canceled
The DOS field trip to Alapocas scheduled for tomorrow morning (Jan 15) is canceled. Unfortunately, I twisted my knee last week and I’m a cripple at the moment. Wish I could do it!

Sally O'Byrne

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 1/14/20 3:08 am
From: Richard Julian <rwjulian66...>
Subject: [de-birds] Cape Henlopen Bird Walk Tuesday Jan. 14 at 9am
Join us this morning, Tuesday Jan. 14 at Cape Henlopen State Park.
Meet at the Nature Center at 9am and search the park for winter birds.

Richard Julian

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 1/13/20 6:33 am
From: Jim Rapp <dlitedirector...>
Subject: [de-birds] Jan. 24-26: Winter Delmarva Birding Weekend
The 5th annual Winter Delmarva Birding Weekend http://delmarvabirding.com/winter-dbw-jan-24-26/ will be held January 24-26, 2020. We tallied 118 species https://mailchi.mp/wicomicoenvironment/delmarvabirding?e=ef8afe1070 during the 2019 event, including multiple sightings of Gray and Harbor Seals during our Lewes boat trip on Saturday afternoon.

Registration information can be found athttp://www.DelmarvaBirding.com .

Jim Rapp
<dlitedirector...>
443-614-0261

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 1/12/20 7:43 pm
From: Edward Crawford <coastalcoaster...>
Subject: Re: [de-birds] Eagle show and more - lower, eastern Sussex County
Wild Turkey bourbon, I hope.

--
Edward M. Crawford
22366 Bay Court

703-901-4380 (mobile)
302-945-2287 (home)

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top

Date: 1/12/20 7:21 am
From: Frank Rohrbacher <0000007c6769d2e2-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [de-birds] Results of 2020 DOS Headstart Field Trip
On January 11 at 7:30 AM, eight fearless birders met at the Park & Ride in Middletown and drove south to Cods/Thirteen Curves/Draper Roads with thoughts of 60,000 Snow Geese and one Pink-footed Goose on our minds.  We arrive and there were absolutely no Snow Geese on the ground anywhere and the few that flying were heading due west.  Possibly the high temperature  (74 F high) or high winds (25-30 mph) was a factor in the geese usual protocol.

On to Cape Henlopen SP, where we had Brown-headed Nuthatch, at the feeder, and great looks at a male White-winged Scoter and a Horned Grebe at the point.  At Silver Lake we added 200 Canvasbacks and Hooded Merganser.  At the Burtons Island Causeway, we got Red-breasted Merganser, hundreds of Brant and two Black-crowned Night-Herons.  At Indian River Inlet, we quickly found the Common Eider, and Mike Smith found a Razorbill.  Both Surf and Black Scoters, Long-tailed Ducks, a large flock Bonaparte's Gulls, both loons and Northern Gannets but no Purple Sandpipers or Great Cormorants were present.

Then, we started north with renewed interest, in 60,000 Snow Geese and one Pink-footed Goose.  Arriving at Draper Road, we faced 3000 Snow Geese, which we quickly determined had no unusual geese. When these geese headed north we decided to look for a dark phase Rough-legged Hawk reported at Fowler Beach.  As we approached Fowlers Beach, we saw that the main flock of geese that we were looking for stream south along the beach and dropping into the bay.  We hiked out to the the beach where the snows were the split into three large rafts.  The closest was a group that was stretched south along Fowler Beach for about one quarter of a mile along the shore line and about a 100 feet deep. We walked the entire back and forth without seeing our target bird.  We gave up with only one Black-bellied Plover and 5-6 Savannah Sparrows including one Ipswich Savannah Sparrow to add to the list..

We then went to Port Mahon Road where we stopped at the impoundment where duck hunters put their boats in, which is on the right, directly across from the oil storage tanks, to get out of the wind.  As the dark descended, two different American Bitterns flew up and two Great Egrets flew to roost.
Frank RohrbacherWilmington, Delaware

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 1/10/20 6:52 pm
From: Andy Ednie, Claymont, DE. <000006be14ba5998-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [de-birds] RBA: Birdline Delaware, January 10th, 2020
RBA
* Delaware
* Statewide
* January 10, 2020
* DEST 20.01. 0

*Birds mentioned
PINK-FOOTED GOOSE
Ross’s Goose
Cackling Goose
Brant
Tundra Swan
Mute Swan
Wood Duck
Gadwall
EURASIAN WIGEON
American Wigeon
Green-winged Teal
Canvasback
Redhead
Ring-necked Duck
Lesser Scaup
Common Eider
Black Scoter
White-winged Scoter
Surf Scoter
Long-tailed Duck
Bufflehead
Common Goldeneye
Common Merganser
Hooded Merganser
Red-breasted Merganser
Ruddy Duck
Wild Turkey
Pied-billed Grebe
Horned Grebe
Clapper Rail
Virginia Rail
American Coot
Sandhill Crane
American Avocet
Black-bellied Plover
Ruddy Turnstone
Sanderling
Dunlin
Purple Sandpiper
Long-billed Dowitcher
Wilson’s Snipe
American Woodcock
Greater Yellowlegs
Willet
Lesser Yellowlegs
Forster’s Tern
Black-headed Gull
Bonaparte’s Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Iceland Gull
RAZORBILL
Red-throated Loon
Great Cormorant
American Bittern
Great Egret
Black-crowned Night Heron
NORTHERN GOSHAWK
Red-shouldered Hawk
ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK
Barred Owl
Long-eared Owl
Short-eared Owl
Saw-whet Owl
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Pileated Woodpecker
American Kestrel
Merlin
Peregrine Falcon
Eastern Phoebe
WESTERN KINGBIRD
Common Raven
Brown-headed Nuthatch
House Wren
Marsh Wren
Sedge Wren
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Brown Thrasher
Gray Catbird
Snow Bunting
American Tree Sparrow
Chipping Sparrow
Nelson’s Sparrow
Saltmarsh Sparrow
Vesper Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Purple Finch
Baltimore Oriole
Orange-crowned Warbler
Pine Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
DICKCISSEL

Hotline: Birdline Delaware
Date: January 10, 2019
To Report: Andy Ednie 302-792-9591 (VOICE)
Compiler: Andy Ednie (<ednieap...>)
Coverage: Delaware, Delmarva Peninsula, nearby Delaware Valley, Southern
New Jersey, Maryland

For Friday, January 10th, this is Birdline Delaware from the Delaware Museum of Natural History in Greenville. The unofficial Delaware Annual list for 2020 unofficial list is already at a whopping 163 species.

On Saturday, a WESTERN KINGBIRD was found in a cornfield near Killen’s Pond State Park. Directions for the site are: take Route 12, Midstate Road and turn at the sign for Killen’s Pond onto Scrap Tavern Rd., Drive past the intersection with Roseville Road and look for the pullout on the left-hand side by the pine trees. This bird was seen perched and feeding in the corn stubble on the east side of the road with several EASTERN BLUEBIRDS and a PINE WARBLER. A GREAT EGRET was seen at Tubbs Mill Pond near Milford

Several SEDGE and MARSH WRENS were found at Milford Neck Wildlife Area along Big Stone Beach Road at the wooden bridge and at the end of Bennett’s Pier Road. NELSON’S SPARROW and COMMON YELLOWTHROAT were also found on Bennett’s Pier Road BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER was seen along the beach. NORTHERN GANNET, HORNED GREBE, COMMON GOLDENEYE, SURF and BLACK SCOTER were seen offshore. A SAW-WHET OWL was calling in the Holly woods along Bennett’s Pier Road on Saturday morning. VIRGINIA RAIL, BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCH, and PINE WARBLER found along Big Stone Beach Road. SURF SCOTER, CANVASBACK, GOLDENEYE, TUNDRA SWAN, and HOODED MERGANSER were seen at the beach. CLAPPER RAIL and SHORT-EARED OWL were seen at the Milford Neck Dog Training Area. LONG-EARED OWL and DICKCISSEL were seen at the intersection of Scott’s Corner Road and Stratham Lane.

The previous reported WESTERN TANAGER is not been seen all week at Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge near Smyrna. AMERICAN AVOCETS, LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER, plus LESSER and GREATER YELLOWLEGS continue to be seen in the refuge. A LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL was photographed at the saltmarsh. Waterfowl reported included TUNDRA SWAN, LESSER SCAUP, COMMON GOLDENEYE, and PIED-BILLED GREBE. Land birds seen included EASTERN PHOEBE, CHIPPING SPARROW, and EASTERN MEADOWLARK.

A light phase ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK continues to be seen at Port Mahon. Look for this bird perched in the trees near the fishing pier. SHORT-EARED OWL and AMERICAN BITTERN were also reported in the marsh. SURF SCOTER, LONG-TAILED DUCK, COMMON GOLDENEYE, and RED-THROATED LOON were seen offshore. AMERICAN COOT, WILD TURKEY, HOODED MERGANSER, and RUDDY DUCK seen at Little Creek Wildlife Area. BUFFLEHEAD, COMMON, and 15 HOODED MERGANSERS were seen at Silver Lake in Dover. CANVASBACK, RUDDY DUCK, HORNED GREBE, RED-THROATED LOON, and NORTHERN GANNET were reported off of Pickering Beach.

An immature ICELAND GULL was reported on Sunday at Augustine Beach near Port Penn along with RED-BREASTED MERGANSER, LESSER SCAUP, and SANDHILL CRANE. A group of 12 SANDHILL CRANES were videoed while calling at Augustine Creek along Route 9. SANDHILL CRANE, BARRED OWL, EASTERN PHOEBE, and HOUSE WREN were found at the of Delaware Wildlands off Bay View Road, unfortunately this is a private access area.

A NORTHERN GOSHAWK plus SANDHILL CRANE were reported at the Warren Tract in Augustine Wildlife Area along Port Penn Road. ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER was reported at the Ashton tract. Three PALM WARBLERS were reported at the Port Penn impoundments along with WILD TURKEY and GREAT EGRET.

A BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER was found with ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER, GRAY CATBIRD and BROWN THRASHER along the dike of the Canal Pond off Cox Neck Road near Delaware City. Two dozen MUTE SWAN were seen on the pond. AMERICAN COOT, GADWALL, NORTHERN SHOVELER, and RING-NECKED DUCK were seen on Dragon Run. A CHIPPING SPARROW was seen at a feeder in Delaware City. MERLIN and PEREGRINE FALCON were seen at Fort Dupont State Park. BONAPARTE’S GULL was seen flying over the Delaware River from Veterans Park in Delaware City. A COMMON RAVEN was seen over house at St. George’s bridge flying towards Wrangell Hill Road.

A CACKLING GOOSE was found on the pond by the horse track at Bellevue State Park on Wednesday. GREAT CORMORANTS have been seen on the channel markers along the Delaware River from Fox Point State Park. Hoopes Reservoir near Greenville reported BUFFLEHEAD, RING-NECKED and RUDDY DUCK, HOODED and COMMON MERGANSER, plus PIED-BILLED GREBE. Harry’s Pond at Brandywine Town Center at RING-NECKED DUCK and HOODED MERGANSER. A GREEN-WINGED TEAL was seen at the Adams Dam Pond along Route 100. COMMON MERGANSERS were seen on Newark reservoir, along with a flock of 24 TUNDRA SWANS landed on the reservoir on Tuesday. RED-SHOULDERED HAWK was seen in the woods by the parking lot. A PURPLE FINCH was reported coming to a feeder off Barksdale Road in Newark.

Three PALM WARBLERS were found off Sharps Road on the Milford Christmas count on Saturday. There was an incredible number of PALM WARBLERS found in western Sussex County last week’ 23 PALMS plus 26 PINE WARBLERS were seen off of Old Sharptown Road, just south of Nanticoke Wildlife Area on January 2. Also reported was VESPER and CHIPPING SPARROW, YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER, AMERICAN KESTREL, and MERLIN. 30 PALM WARBLERS were found along or sees pond near Laurel. ANOTHER PALM WARBLER was found at Woodland Ferry. WILSON SNIPE, AMERICAN WOODCOCK and BARRED OWL were heard at Nanticoke wildlife area in the early morning. An EASTERN PHOEBE was seen near Trap Pond State Park.

NELSON’S and SALTMARSH SPARROW were found along Lighthouse Road at Slaughters Beach, along with CLAPPER RAIL. BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERON was found by the pond opposite the Marvel Saltmarsh Preserve. SURF SCOTER, NORTHERN GANNET, and RED-THROATED LOON were seen at Mispillion Inlet. A big flock of 275 BOAT-TAILED GRACKLES were seen from the Dupont Nature Center.

There was a flock of over 100,000 SNOW GEESE along Thirteen Curves Rd. near Milton that included ROSS’S and a possible PINK-FOOTED GOOSE. SHORT-EARED OWL, SNOW BUNTING, and AMERICAN BITTERN were found at Fowlers Beach in Prime Hook National Wildlife Refuge near Milton. A BALTIMORE ORIOLE was discovered in the woodlot prior to the marsh. WOOD DUCK and PILEATED WOODPECKER were found along Deep Branch Road. ORANGE-CROWNED and PALM WARBLER were found along the Broadkill Beach Road. BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCHES were reported at Turkle’s Pond. WILD TURKEY was seen along the Prime Hook entrance road. AMERICAN TREE SPARROW and VIRGINIA RAIL reported along the dike trail. A WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW was reported along cods Road.

Sixteen RAZORBILLS were reported on Saturday from Herring Point in Cape Henlopen State Park, along with BONAPARTE’S GULL and NORTHERN GANNET. A WILLET was seen walking down the beach. A PINE WARBLER was reported in the Herring Point parking area. LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL was seen from the hawk watch. BRANT were reported at Cape Henlopen Point. BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCH and CEDAR WAXWING were seen at the Seaside Nature Center. GREAT EGRET, TUNDRA SWAN, and BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCH were reported at Gordon’s pond north of Rehoboth Beach. There was a peak count of 3 BLACK-HEADED GULL at Wolfe’s Point Water Treatment Plant near Midway. A peak count of 915 CANVASBACK were seen on Silver Lake along with two female REDHEAD plus HOODED MERGANSER.

RAZORBILL, HORNED GREBE, COMMON EIDER, LONGTAILED DUCK, and all three species of SCOTER, WHITE-WINGED, SURF, and BLACK SCOTER were seen at Indian River Inlet. A big flock of 146 BONAPARTE’S GULLS showed up at the Inlet this week along with 9 LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULLS and FORSTER’S TERN. Shorebirds seen included PURPLE SANDPIPER, RUDDY TURNSTONE, and SANDERLING. A PALM WARBLER was found on Wednesday. BRANT, RED-BREASTED MERGANSER, and PIED-BILLED GREBE were seen at Burtons Island by the North Marina. BRANT and HORNED GREBE were also seen off Quillen’s Point along Cedar Neck from the VFW Hall.

EURASIAN WIGEON continues be reported at Assawoman Wildlife Area near Fenwick Island with AMERICAN WIGEON, GADWALL, LESSER SCAUP, HOODED MERGANSER, and MUTE SWAN. WOOD DUCK and PINE WARBLER were found near Harbison.

Thanks to all the people that make the Birdline possible, including Billy Weber, Dave Fees, Jim Lenhard, Bernie Foy, Gina Sheridan, John Janowski, Joe Francis, Pete Gibb, Dean Coffin, Kathy Shearer, Mike Bowen, Brian Henderson, Al Guarente, Rodney Murray, Curt Davis, Aaron Reb, Bert Filmyer, Mike Rosengarten, Kathie O’Neil, Joe Sebastiani, Mike Moore, John Skibicki, Chris and Karen Bennett, Anthony Gonzon, Kitt Heckscher, Megan Kasprzak, Wayne Longbottom, John Long, Rich Clifton, Jason Bojczyk, Rob Blye, Ellen Jacobson, Sue Gruver, Sharon Lynn, Lynn Smith, Scott Northey, Amy and Jim White, Sally O’Byrne, Mike Hudson, Holly Merker, Kim Steininger, Jeff Gordon, Ryan Crane, Joe Swertinski and Joe Russell. Birdline needs your sightings. Please call your reports into 302-792-9591 or email <ednieap...> Until next week, this is Andy Ednie wishing you good birding!

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 1/10/20 3:27 pm
From: chris ro <0000011d90053296-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [de-birds] Wild Pink-footed Goose Chase?
Any interest in joining together to search for and find the Pink-footed Goose being seen around Prime Hook? Pick a date, assign locations...Find the Goose!
Just kicking the tires to guage interest.
Christopher Rowe
PS - I'm the slub who never saw it 🤬

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 1/10/20 12:06 pm
From: Rob Blye <rwblye...>
Subject: [de-birds] Two January days in contrast
Thursday January 9th was the first field trip of the year for Sussex Bird
Club. Twenty hardy souls met at Indian River Inlet about 8:30 AM where we
found temperatures in the high 20s with bright sun and a steady 15-20 mph
wind from the north. The even hardier birds were mostly hunkered down in
the wind except for a good size flock of Bonaparte's gull. We observed the
usual suspects but dipped on common loon and great cormorant. A peregrine
put on a brief show chasing a flock of some 200 dunlin around. A single
razorbill was seen by one experienced birder who arrived early.

The group then moved to observe the bay from the campground where we picked
up a few waterfowl then off to Burton Island. It was mostly out of the
wind, with red-breasted merganser and pied-bill grebe on the water and
towhee, mockingbird and a ruby-crowned kinglet on the trail in addition to
the ubiquitous myrtle warblers.

Silver Lake yielded the hoped for canvasbacks and a few other ducks while
the STP at Wolfe Neck coughed up two black-headed gull. We ended the day
with 51 species and avoided frost bite.

Contrast Thursday's weather with today; my wife and I hiked the Walking
Dunes Trail at Cape Henlopen State Park in bright sun, low wind and
temperatures in the high 50s and low 60s. Surprisingly few birds were
observed but we did manage a few brown-headed nuthatches and a hermit
thrush.

Sussex Bird Club will continue to offer biweekly field trips mostly on
Thursday mornings and mostly in Sussex County. Check our website for
schedule and updates. Field trips are free and open to the public.

*Rob*

Robert W. Blye
34603 Doe Run
Lewes DE 19958-3332
302 945-8618
610 213-2413 mobile

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 1/10/20 7:31 am
From: Frank Rohrbacher <0000007c6769d2e2-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [de-birds] DOS Headstart Field Up-date
Hi all
 On Saturday, January 11, I will be leading the DOS Headstart Field Trip.  I plan to start at the Park&Ride at Rte 299&Rte 1 in Middletown, opposite Wawa at 7:30 AM.  After meeting up with the group, I plan to drive to Draper Road/Cods/Thirteen Curves Roads in search of the with 60,000 Snow Geese which should mean we should arrive there between 8:30-8:45 AM to meet with the Sussex birders.  If the flock is showing itself well, we will search for the Pink-footed Goose, Cackling Goose and Ross's Geese contained within.  If, as often happens in the morning, the geese are off of Thirteen Curves Road or very far from the edge of the road, we will make a quick search, and move on to Cape Henlopen SP, Silver Lake and Indian River Inlet and return later in the day when the geese are more likely to be found close to the road

Ultimately, l would like to return to Port Mahon Road by about 3:30 PM to search for the the Rough-legged Hawk and Short-eared Owls.at Port Mahon Road.
Thanks.
Frank RohrbacherWilmington, Delaware

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 1/7/20 2:59 pm
From: Frank Rohrbacher <0000007c6769d2e2-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [de-birds] DOS Headstart Field Trip
Hi all
 On Saturday, January 11, I will be leading the DOS Headstart Field Trip.  I plan to start at the Park&Ride at Rte 299&Rte 1 in Middletown, opposite Wawa at 7:30 AM.  I am still planning the trip but I will probably chase the Rough-legged at Port Mahon Road, then go to Cods Road to find the Pink-footed Goose and Ross's Goose that are being seen there with 60,000 Snow Geese.  In addition, I'll stop at Cape Henlopen SP and Indian River Inlet.  I''ll be scouting the area and will be changing the schedule to get the latest birds.  I will put out a final itinerary on Friday afternoon, so those from Sussex County can meet up with us if they chose.
Thanks.
Frank RohrbacherWilmington, Delaware

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 1/6/20 2:51 pm
From: Rob Davis <robsails...>
Subject: Re: [de-birds] Abbott's Mill Bird Walk -Jan. 3, 2020
Hello Alice,
It was a great day and a great adventure. I appreciated the extra time you took to show me pictures and explain differences. I am looking forward to the next bird walk. Hopefully that will be soon. Thanks again!

Regards,
Rob

Sent from my Verizon LG Smartphone

Date: 1/3/20 4:36 pm
From: Andy Ednie, Claymont, DE. <000006be14ba5998-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [de-birds] RBA: Birdline Delaware, January 3rd, 2020
RBA
* Delaware
* Statewide
* January 03, 2020
* DEST 20.01.03

*Birds mentioned
PINK-FOOTED GOOSE
Ross’s Goose
Cackling Goose
Brant
Tundra Swan
Mute Swan
Wood Duck
Blue-winged Teal
Gadwall
American Wigeon
Green-winged Teal
Canvasback
Redhead
Ring-necked Duck
Greater Scaup
Lesser Scaup
Black Scoter
White-winged Scoter
Surf Scoter
Long-tailed Duck
Bufflehead
Common Goldeneye
Common Merganser
Hooded Merganser
Red-breasted Merganser
Ruddy Duck
Wild Turkey
Pied-billed Grebe
Horned Grebe
Clapper Rail
King Rail
Virginia Rail
Sora
American Coot
American Avocet
Black-bellied Plover
Semipalmated Plover
Ruddy Turnstone
Sanderling
Dunlin
Western Sandpiper
Purple Sandpiper
Long-billed Dowitcher
Wilson’s Snipe
American Woodcock
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs
Forster’s Tern
Black-headed Gull
Bonaparte’s Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
RAZORBILL
Common Loon
Red-throated Loon
Great Cormorant
American Bittern
Great Egret
Tricolored Heron
Black-crowned Night Heron
Bald Eagle
Red-shouldered Hawk
ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK
Barn Owl
Barred Owl
Short-eared Owl
Saw-whet Owl
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Red-headed Woodpecker
Pileated Woodpecker
American Kestrel
Merlin
Peregrine Falcon
Tree Swallow
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Brown-headed Nuthatch
Winter Wren
Marsh Wren
Sedge Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Brown Thrasher
Gray Catbird
Snow Bunting
Savannah Ipswich Sparrow
Chipping Sparrow
Seaside Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Purple Finch
YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD
Baltimore Oriole
Orange-crowned Warbler
Pine Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
WESTERN TANAGER

Hotline: Birdline Delaware
Date: January 03, 2019
To Report: Andy Ednie 302-792-9591 (VOICE)
Compiler: Andy Ednie (<ednieap...>)
Coverage: Delaware, Delmarva Peninsula, nearby Delaware Valley, Southern
New Jersey, Maryland

For Friday, January 3rd, this is Birdline Delaware from the Delaware Museum of Natural History in Greenville. The unofficial Delaware Annual list for 2019 peaked at 329 species. That’s two species more than the 10-year average! The 2020 unofficial list is already at 117 species.

A PINK-FOOTED GOOSE was found last week at Prime Hook National Wildlife Refuge along Prime Hook Beach Road. That bird has subsequently been seen off Short’s Beach and among the 50,000 SNOW GEESE off Draper Road. Also reported in the flock have been ROSS’S and CACKLING GOOSE. These geese were also seen along with a raft of WOOD DUCK off Sylvian Acres Road, along the west side of Route 1 opposite Prime Hook. ROSS’S GOOSE was also seen off of Thirteen Curves Rd. along with AMERICAN PIPIT. Lots of shorebirds seen along Prime Hook Beach Road included SEMIPALMATED PLOVER, RUDDY TURNSTONE, WESTERN SANDPIPER, SANDERLING, DUNLIN, and WILSON SNIPE. WILLET, GREATER and LESSER YELLOWLEGS, and SEMIPALMATED PLOVER were seen along the Dike Trail at Prime Hook headquarters. AMERICAN WOODCOCK was reported along the entrance road. Three AMERICAN AVOCETS were seen at Fowlers Beach, along with BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER and RUDDY TURNSTONE.

SHORT-EARED OWLS continue to be seen at Fowler’s Beach. There was a peak count of 50 SNOW BUNTINGS along the beach. AMERICAN BITTERN was seen in the marsh. ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER and GRAY CATBIRD was reported by the entrance woods. Waterfowl reported included RED-THROATED LOON, HORNED GREBE, NORTHERN GANNET, SURF and BLACK SCOTER, LONG-TAILED DUCK, COMMON GOLDENEYE, and HOODED MERGANSER. BARRED OWL was heard calling along Little Neck Road. PINE WARBLER and WILD TURKEY were seen at Little Neck Wildlife Area. RED-HEADED WOODPECKER and BROWN THRASHER were reported at the intersection of Prime Hook Beach and Cods Road. Raptors reported at Prime Hook included PEREGRINE FALCON, MERLIN, and AMERICAN KESTREL.

RAZORBILL, BLACK-HEADED GULL, and WILLET were reported at Herring Point in Cape Henlopen State Park, along with 14 LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULLS on the beach. IPSWICH SAVANNAH SPARROW was found along the dunes at Cape Henlopen Point. PINE WARBLER was found at Herring Point and Fort Miles. BRANT, RED-BREASTED MERGANSER, and COMMON GOLDENEYE were seen at The Point, along with PEREGRINE FALCON. An immature GREAT CORMORANT was photographed at the fishing pier. BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCH was seen coming to the feeders at the Seaside Nature Center. SEDGE WREN, VIRGINIA, and KING RAIL were heard calling from the Walking Dunes Nature Trail near the Saltmarsh Spur. In Lewes, a NELSON’S SPARROW was found along Canary Creek at the University of Delaware Marine labs. A big flock of 150 NORTHERN GANNETS was seen from the Cape May-Lewes ferry along with BLACK and SURF SCOTER, LONG-TAILED DUCK, RED-BREASTED MERGANSER, and 8 GREAT CORMORANTS sitting on the breakwater. BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCH was als!
o found in the pines by the ferry terminal.

A peak count of 3 BLACK-HEADED GULLS was found at the Wolfs Neck Sewage Treatment Plant near Midway. Waterfowl on the settling ponds included GADWALL, NORTHERN SHOVELER, GREATER and LESSER SCAUP. A RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH was found in the pines and a single SNOW BUNTING was found out in the fields around the treatment plant. A peak count of 850 CANVASBACK were seen on Silver Lake along with 2 female REDHEAD and HOODED MERGANSER.

A RAZORBILL was seen yesterday off the north jetty at Indian River Inlet. NORTHERN GANNETS were seen flying offshore. Other waterfowl included COMMON EIDER, LONG-TAILED DUCK, BUFFLEHEAD, RED-THROATED and COMMON LOON, plus WHITE-WINGED, SURF, and BLACK SCOTER. GREAT CORMORANT was seen on the channel marker. RUDDY TURNSTONE, SANDERLING, and PURPLE SANDPIPER were seen on the jetty. FORSTER’S TERN, BONAPARTE’S and LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL were found along the Inlet. AMERICAN BITTERN and BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERON were seen at the marsh behind the south campground. TREE SWALLOW, TRICOLORED HERON, PIED-BILLED GREBE, and PEREGRINE FALCON were reported at Burtons Island Causeway behind the North Marina. NELSON’S SPARROW was photographed at Savage’s Ditch in Delaware Seashore State Park. A large flock of BRANT was seen off of Quillen’s Point on Cedar Neck along with COMMON GOLDENEYE.

The previous reported EURASIAN WIGEON continues to be seen at Assawoman Wildlife Area near Fenwick Island. Eight BLUE-WINGED TEAL were seen on the pond along with MUTE SWAN, 440 GADWALL, 280 AMERICAN WIGEON, LESSER SCAUP, HOODED MERGANSER, and-PIED BILLED GREBE. A SORA was heard calling along with VIRGINIA RAIL. COMMON YELLOWTHROAT and BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCH were found in the refuge. A SAW-WHET OWL was reported at the Marion Okie Nature Preserve on Long Neck. CLAPPER RAIL, HOODED MERGANSER, and TUNDRA SWAN were reported at the Peninsula nature Center near Millsboro. A juvenile female BALTIMORE ORIOLE was seen coming to a feeder off White Neck Road near Holt’s Landing State Park.

The previous reported WESTERN TANAGER was reported today at the visitor center in Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge near Smyrna. This bird has been seen behind the picnic pavilion to the Viburnum Bush next to the bathrooms. Shorebirds continue be seen on Raymond Pool including AMERICAN AVOCET, LESSER AND GREATER YELLOWLEGS, DUNLIN, LONGBILLED DOWITCHER, AND WILSON SNIPE. An AMERICAN WOODCOCK reported at Finis Pool along with BARRED OWL. Waterfowl included 3 CANVASBACK on Tuesday along with TUNDRA SWAN, CACKLING GOOSE, WOOD DUCK, AMERICAN WIGEON, RING-NECKED DUCK, GREATER SCAUP, RUDDY DUCK, PIED-BILLED GREBE, plus COMMON and RED-BREASTED MERGANSER. VIRGINIA and CLAPPER RAIL were found along the Boardwalk Trail along with SEASIDE SPARROW, MARSH, and SEDGE WREN. Raptors reported included RED-SHOULDERED HAWK, BALD EAGLE, plus PEREGRINE, MERLIN, and KESTREL. BARN OWL was heard calling from the visitor center at dusk.

A late phase ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK was seen along the Port Mahon Road, along with SHORT-EARED OWLS. Waterfowl at Port Mahon included COMMON GOLDENEYE and LONGTAILED DUCK. A peak count of 42 NORTHERN GANNETS were seen offshore over the Delaware Bay on Tuesday. COMMON YELLOWTHROAT was seen in the reeds along the roadside. GREAT EGRET was seen flying into the Little Creek impoundments. HOODED MERGANSER, RUDDY DUCK, and PIED-BILLED GREBE were seen at Little Creek Wildlife Area. A raft of CANVASBACK with a single REDHEAD was seen at Pickering Beach along with LESSER SCAUP, BUFFLEHEAD, and RUDDY DUCK. A RED-THROATED LOON was seen on the Delaware River off of Woodland Beach along with COMMON GOLDENEYE and GREATER SCAUP. HOODED and COMMON MERGANSER were seen on Silver Lake in Dover. RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET and WINTER WREN were seen in the park. AMERICAN PIPIT and PEREGRINE FALCON were seen in Frederica off of Johnnycake Landing Road.

A male YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD was found today along Stave’s Landing Road, in a flock of several hundred blackbirds. GADWALL, AMERICAN WIGEON, GREEN-WINGED TEAL, and RING-NECKED DUCK were seen at Hangman’s Creek along Route 9. WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS were found at Collins Beach in Cedar Swamp Wildlife Area. RED THROATED LOON and RED-BREASTED MERGANSER were seen at Augustine Beach near Port Penn. DUNLIN were seen on the breakwater from the parking lot. MUTE SWAN was reported at the Ashton Tract in Augustine Wildlife Area. RED-SHOULDERED HAWK and both RUBY-CROWNED and GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET were found in the woods. GREAT EGRET was reported at Thousand Acre Marsh south of Delaware city.

A PURPLE FINCH was seen Sunday at Ashland Nature Center. An AMERICAN KESTREL was reported at Coverdale Farms. CHIPPING SPARROW was found at Curtis Mill Park in White Clay Creek State Park in Newark. YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER and PILEATED WOODPECKER were reported at Hopkins Bridge. COMMON MERGANSER was reported at Newark reservoir. Waterfowl on Hoopes’s reservoir included RING-NECKED DUCK, BUFFLEHEAD, HOODED and COMMON MERGANSER, and RUDDY DUCK. HOODED MERGANSER was also seen at the Winterthur Ponds along Route 100 near Montchanin.

Thanks to all the people that make the Birdline possible, including Mike Smith, Alissa Kegelman, Mike Bowen, Leo Custer, Anthony VanSchoor, Brian Henderson, Al Guarente, Rodney Murray, Curt Davis, Aaron Reb, Bert Filmyer, Mike Rosengarten, Dave Belford, Kathie O’Neil, Katie Bird, Gary Griffith, Joe Sebastiani, Mike Moore, John Skibicki, Steve Graff, Chris and Karen Bennett, Anthony Gonzon, Kitt Heckscher, Megan Kasprzak, Wayne Longbottom, Rob Blye, Ellen Jacobson, Sue Gruver, Sharon Lynn, Lynn Smith, Scott Northey, Amy and Jim White, Sally O’Byrne, Jeff Gordon, Ryan Crane, Joe Swertinski and Joe Russell. Birdline needs your sightings. Please call your reports into 302-792-9591 or email <ednieap...> Until next week, this is Andy Ednie wishing you good birding!

-end transcript

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top

Date: 1/3/20 4:51 am
From: Billy Weber <robot.stories...>
Subject: [de-birds] Assawoman, etc. - 1/2
Found 105 species around the state yesterday, mostly at Assawoman Wildlife Area, Indian River Inlet, and Bombay Hook NWR. I missed the Western Tanager at BH on my way into the refuge at 4pm, but was surprised to see it feeding in its favorite bush outside the bathrooms when I returned to the visitor center at 4:52. Nothing wrong with a bedtime snack! I dipped on the Port Mahon Rough-leg in the 3:00-3:30 range and also somehow missed Razorbill at the inlet in the morning, learning afterward that one had been close to the north jetty around that time. (Common Eider, Forster’s Tern, and Tree Swallow were consolation prizes.) My best birds besides the tanager were at Assawoman: a drake Eurasian Wigeon (reported on the CBC) halfway out the walk toward Strawberry Landing, an Orange-crowned Warbler pished in at the gate at the beginning of that road, and a Common Yellowthroat (different from the one photographed on the CBC) at Mulberry Landing. I did have 2-3 Black-headed Gulls a!
t the Wolfe Neck sewage plant in Rehoboth, as well as the continuing immature Great Cormorant at the Cape Henlopen fishing pier. Notable flocks included 15 Killdeer at the junction of Double Bridges and Muddy Neck roads in South Bethany and a large congregation of Snow Geese resting on the ocean off Cape Henlopen’s Herring Point. (I initially thought these were gannets, and also temporarily mistook a distant Red-throated Loon for a Long-billed Murrelet, so I probably shouldn’t be allowed to bird in Delaware for a while.) Nighttime treats included a Barn Owl heard from the Bombay Hook gate, Barred Owl at Cedar Swamp Wildlife Area, and a Sora that uttered two “keek” series among the Virginia Rails on Cape Henlopen’s Walking Dunes Trail.

Happy New Year to all,

Billy Weber
Walnutport, PA

Sent from my iPhone

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 1/2/20 3:07 pm
From: Rob Blye <rwblye...>
Subject: [de-birds] Abbotts Mill tomorrow
What time does the walk at Abbotts Mill start tomorrow?

*Rob*

Robert W. Blye
34603 Doe Run
Lewes DE 19958-3332
302 945-8618
610 213-2413 mobile

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 1/1/20 9:46 am
From: Dick Plambeck <0000069bd5400b67-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: [de-birds] Western Tanager: no joy
Sorry you missed it.She showed up about 3:00.
Put some pics up one eBird.
Dick Plambeck

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail
On Tuesday, December 31, 2019 Pat <pvaldata1...> wrote:
No tanager at Bombay Hook today. People were looking by 8 a.m. I gave up at 1:30. Pat ValdataCrisfield, MDSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Amy White <amywwhite...> Date: 12/25/19  4:15 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: <de-birds...> Subject: [de-birds] Western Tanager continuing today at Bombay Hook We watched the Western Tanager today at 3:30 for about 30 minutes and it was still there when we left the site.  In bushes next to Visitor Center door at Bombay Hook  NWR.  Female type coloration.  Continuing bird as seen by many others starting yesterday morning. Amy, Jim, James, and Greg WhiteSent from my iPhoneList archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=DE-BIRDSList help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 12/31/19 10:34 am
From: Pat <pvaldata1...>
No tanager at Bombay Hook today. People were looking by 8 a.m. I gave up at 1:30. Pat ValdataCrisfield, MDSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Amy White <amywwhite...> Date: 12/25/19 4:15 PM (GMT-05:00) To: <de-birds...> Subject: [de-birds] Western Tanager continuing today at Bombay Hook We watched the Western Tanager today at 3:30 for about 30 minutes and it was still there when we left the site.  In bushes next to Visitor Center door at Bombay Hook  NWR.  Female type coloration.  Continuing bird as seen by many others starting yesterday morning. Amy, Jim, James, and Greg WhiteSent from my iPhoneList archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=DE-BIRDSList help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 12/30/19 2:28 pm
From: Alice Mohrman <alice...>
Subject: [de-birds] Abbott's Mill Bird Walk on Friday, Jan. 3 at 10:00 am
Join the first Abbott's Mill FREE Bird Walk of 2020 on Friday, Jan. 3. Meet at 10:000 am at Abbott's Mill Nature Center at 15411 Abbotts Pond Road, Milford, 19963. Walk is approximately 2 hours. We will scout the pond for ducks, fields for sparrows and wetlands for owls and everything in between! Binoculars are available for borrow. Novice to expert welcome! Dress for unpredictable weather. For more information contact (302) 422-0847.

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 12/29/19 10:55 am
From: sheilaannand . <sheila.annand...>
Subject: Re: [de-birds] de-birds Digest - 27 Dec 2019 to 28 Dec 2019 (#2019-233)
Here’s the weekly report
All three scoters are listed but the local details are in the text below

Back to top
Date: 12/29/19 10:52 am
From: Mary Lukaszewski <mlukas...>
Subject: [de-birds] Visit from a Carolina Wren
On Dec. 27 my husband had the garage door open to take out the garbage cans to go to the dump. While he was putting out the cans, apparently our long-time Carolina Wren decided to see what out interior house looked like for when Joe opened the door between the garage and kitchen the Wren flew into our house. He took a tour of all our rooms and ended up sitting on top of a palm tree in our sunroom.
He didn't seem very upset but I opened one of our large windows so it could fly out. He sat on the plant for about 10 minutes watching my dogs go around the sunroom. It finally flew to the back of our sunroom couch, not far from the window. When Joe walked over to the couch, the Wren finally took advantage of the open window and flew out into our back yard.
I've looked for the Wren for the last two days but I haven't seen it come to the feeders. It has been here for about two years and I hope its flight into our house has not scared it into leaving our yard.

Mary Lukaszewski

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 12/28/19 7:05 am
From: Andy Ednie, Claymont, DE. <000006be14ba5998-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [de-birds] RBA: Birdline Delaware, December 27th, 2019
RBA
* Delaware
* Statewide
* December 27, 2019
* DEST 1912.20

*Birds mentioned
Ross’s Goose
Cackling Goose
Brant
Tundra Swan
Mute Swan
Wood Duck
Gadwall
American Wigeon
Green-winged Teal
Canvasback
Ring-necked Duck
Greater Scaup
Lesser Scaup
Black Scoter
White-winged Scoter
Surf Scoter
Long-tailed Duck
Bufflehead
Common Goldeneye
Common Merganser
Hooded Merganser
Red-breasted Merganser
Ruddy Duck
Pied-billed Grebe
Clapper Rail
American Coot
American Avocet
Black-bellied Plover
Semipalmated Plover
Killdeer
Ruddy Turnstone
Sanderling
Dunlin
Purple Sandpiper
Long-billed Dowitcher
Wilson’s Snipe
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs
Forster’s Tern
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Red-throated Loon
Great Cormorant
AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN
American Bittern
Great Egret
Black-crowned Night Heron
Bald Eagle
Barn Owl
Barred Owl
Short-eared Owl
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Pileated Woodpecker
American Kestrel
Common Raven
Tree Swallow
Brown-headed Nuthatch
Marsh Wren
Gray Catbird
Snow Bunting
Lapland Longspur
EVENING GROSBEAK
American Tree Sparrow
Savannah Ipswich Sparrow
Fox Sparrow
Eastern Meadowlark
Rusty Blackbird
Boat-tailed Grackle
Orange-crowned Warbler
WESTERN TANAGER

Hotline: Birdline Delaware
Date: December 27, 2019
[...]

A raft of CANVASBACKS was seen off Kitts Hummock along with SURF SCOTER. GREATER SCAUP and RUDDY DUCK were seen off of Pickering Beach. WILSON’S SNIPE were reported at a field near Frederica off Johnnycake Landing Road, along with AMERICAN KESTREL.

[...]

Thanks to all the people that make the Birdline possible, including Jen Driscoll, Anthony VanSchoor, Gina Sheridan, Andrew Albright, John Janowski, George Armistead, Liz Porter, Brian Henderson, Kristin Leprich, Elizabeth Clements, Rick Cheicante, Adam Woodis, Al Guarente, Rodney Murray, Curt Davis, Aaron Reb, Bert Filmyer, Mike Rosengarten, Dave Belford, Kathie O’Neil, Katie Bird, Mike Hudson, Gary Griffith, Joe Sebastiani, Mike Moore, John Skibicki, Chris and Karen Bennett, Anthony Gonzon, Megan Kasprzak, Wayne Longbottom, Rob Blye, Ellen Jacobson, Sue Gruver, Sharon Lynn, Lynn Smith, Scott Northey, Amy and Jim White, Sally O’Byrne, Colin Campbell, Ryan Crane, Joe Swertinski and Joe Russell. Birdline needs your sightings. Please call your reports into 302-792-9591 or email <ednieap...> Until next week, this is Andy Ednie wishing you good birding!

-end transcript

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 12/27/19 12:36 pm
From: David and Joy Peters <Trogon1000...>
Subject: [de-birds] Question
Hi, All

I certainly enjoyed watching a very healthy-looking western tanager female feeding on berries by the Bombay Hook visitors center. Thanks to all of the good reports that alerted us to this wonderfully lost bird.

BUT my question is whether any of you know how to get permission to look for the golden-crowned sparrow in Maryland? Its not far away and has continued to show, but the only info I can find is that it is on private land with restricted viewing. Maybe I missed something, but if anyone has info on how to respectfully look for this bird, I would be delighted. I do love these vagrants, and Queen Annes County is one of our nearest neighbors!

Joy Peters
Dover, DE
<Trogon1000...>

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 12/27/19 7:52 am
From: Frank Rohrbacher <0000007c6769d2e2-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [de-birds] PHNWR Headquarters Area for the Cape Henlopen CBC
Hi all
I will be leading the group for the Prime Hook NWR Headquarters again this year.  If you are interested in joining me, we will meet at the Prime Hook NWR entrance road at 6:15-6:30 AM Sunday 29 December.
Thank you.
Frank RohrbacherWilmington Delaware

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 12/26/19 12:33 pm
From: Gina Sheridan <gsherida8502...>
Subject: [de-birds] Kent County Western Tanager & Canvasback
Yesterday (12/25/19) at the Bombay Hook VC , seeing the cooperative WESTERN
TANAGER turned out to be my favorite Christmas present. With bright
sunshine and no wind, it was a beautiful winter's day.

Afterwards, Dennis and I checked out Kitts Hammock and were delighted to
find a flock of 21 CANVASBACKs, an adult LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL, and a
sprinkling of SURF SCOTERS. In fact, this was only the second time that I
have seen Canvasback in Kent County.

Gina Sheridan
Milford, DE

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 12/26/19 7:19 am
From: Joe Hanfman <auk1844...>
Subject: [de-birds] Western Tanager BBH
The Western Tanager is showing at the Visitors Center to Bombay Hook NWR.

Joe Hanfman
Columbia, MD

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Join us on Facebook!