DE-BIRDS
Received From Subject
7/13/20 3:02 pm Debora Jarrell <debiannj...> Re: [de-birds] Ebird for beginners no sighting
7/10/20 2:25 pm m b <marlabeth...> [de-birds] Ebird for beginners no sighting
7/9/20 4:22 pm Andy Ednie, Claymont, DE. <000006be14ba5998-dmarc-request...> [de-birds] RBA: Birdline Delaware, July 8th, 2020
7/8/20 4:10 pm Sarah L. <birdsinde...> [de-birds] Chimney swifts
7/7/20 2:42 am Andy Ednie, Claymont, DE. <000006be14ba5998-dmarc-request...> [de-birds] Ruff at Bombay Hook
7/6/20 12:37 pm David and Joy Peters <Trogon1000...> [de-birds] Birding TodayDE bir
7/2/20 3:03 am Andy Ednie, Claymont, DE. <000006be14ba5998-dmarc-request...> [de-birds] RBA: Birdline Delaware, July 1st, 2020
6/25/20 3:12 am Andy Ednie, Claymont, DE. <000006be14ba5998-dmarc-request...> [de-birds] RBA: Birdline Delaware, June 24th, 2020
6/21/20 11:52 am David Shen <dctshen...> Re: [de-birds] Post war birding in Colombia - no sighting
6/21/20 6:20 am m b <marlabeth...> [de-birds] Post war birding in Colombia - no sighting
6/18/20 4:40 am Andy Ednie, Claymont, DE. <000006be14ba5998-dmarc-request...> [de-birds] RBA: Birdline Delaware, June 17th, 2020
6/14/20 6:35 am Meghann Matwichuk <meghann.matwichuk...> [de-birds] Virtual DOS Presentation Wednesday, 6/17 @ 7pm on Northern Bobwhite
6/14/20 6:09 am m b <marlabeth...> [de-birds] Free online ebird workshop (no sighting)

Back to top
Date: 7/13/20 3:02 pm
From: Debora Jarrell <debiannj...>
Subject: Re: [de-birds] Ebird for beginners no sighting
Thank you for sharing this.

Debi
> On 07/10/2020 5:25 PM m b <marlabeth...> wrote:
>

> For everyone who missed the free workshop put on by the Harris Center and an expert from Antioch University in New Hampshire, on ebird for beginners, they have now put the video of the workshop up on YouTube. Here is the link for anyone who is still interested in learning about some of the basics of the eBird app versus the eBird website, and how to do everything from record your sightings to look up particular birds in a particular area or hotspots in a particular area. I realize many may already be expert in this, but for those who still found it confusing like myself, I thought this was an informative Workshop. Especially in the second hour.
>
> https://youtu.be/2wCJrkdDpfk
>
> Mb visiting from northern Virginia
>
> sent from my phone so please excuse all typos, gibberish, and horrifying misspellings

> List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top

Date: 7/9/20 4:22 pm
From: Andy Ednie, Claymont, DE. <000006be14ba5998-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [de-birds] RBA: Birdline Delaware, July 8th, 2020
RBA
* Delaware
* Statewide
* July 8, 2020
* DEST 20. 07. 08

*Birds mentioned
BLACK-BELLIED WHISTLING DUCK
Mute Swan
Lesser Scaup
Black Scoter
Common Eider
Eastern Whippoorwill
Chuck-wills -widow
Common Nighthawk
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Sora
Virginia Rail
Common Gallinule
Sandhill Crane
American Oystercatcher
Black-necked Stilt
American Avocet
Black-bellied Plover
Semipalmated Plover
Piping Plover
Killdeer
Red Knot
Sanderling
RUFF
Stilt Sandpiper
Pectoral Sandpiper
Western Sandpiper
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper
Short-billed Dowitcher
Spotted Sandpiper
Lesser Yellowlegs
Willet
Greater Yellowlegs
WILSON’S PHALAROPE
Lesser Black-backed Gull
GULL-BILLED TERN
Common Tern
Caspian Tern
ROSEATE TERN
Least Tern
Royal Tern
Black Skimmer
Brown Pelican
Least Bittern
Little Blue Heron
Tricolored Heron
Cattle Egret
Black-crowned Night Heron
WHITE IBIS
Glossy Ibis
Red-headed Woodpecker
American Kestrel
Peregrine Falcon
Bank Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Yellow-throated Vireo
Warbling Vireo
Brown-headed Nuthatch
Veery
Grasshopper Sparrow
Seaside Sparrow
Saltmarsh Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Yellow-breasted Chat
Bobolink
Eastern Meadowlark
Louisiana Waterthrush
Worm-eating Warbler
Prothonotary Warbler
American Redstart
Hooded Warbler
Kentucky Warbler
Northern Parula
Yellow Warbler
Yellow-throated Warbler
Summer Tanager
DICKCISSEL
Blue Grosbeak

Hotline: Birdline Delaware
Date: July 8, 2020
To Report: Andy Ednie 302-792-9591 (VOICE)
Compiler: Andy Ednie (<ednieap...>)
Coverage: Delaware, Delmarva Peninsula, nearby Delaware Valley, Southern
New Jersey, Maryland

For Wednesday, July 8th this is Birdline Delaware from the Delaware Museum of Natural History in Greenville. The Birdline is sponsored by the Delaware Ornithological Society. The unofficial Delaware Annual list for 2020 remains at 322 species.

BLACK-BELLIED WHISTLING DUCKS continue to show up intermittently at unexpected locations. Nine were seen flying over Frawley Stadium in downtown Wilmington on Friday, later seen along the Christiana River at the Riverfront. Four BLACK-BELLIED WHISTLING DUCKS were seen early Saturday along the bayside at Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge near Smyrna. BLACK-BELLIED WHISTLING DUCK has now been seen in all three counties this year.

Shorebirds are back! A RUFF was found Monday at the north end of Shearness Pool at Bombay Hook and was still being seen today. This bird has a chestnut and black back, with a black mottled breast, and white belly. Three WILSON’S PHALAROPE including a female in breeding plumage were seen at the south end of Raymond Pool. Other shorebirds among the thousands of birds present included AMERICAN AVOCET, BLACK-NECKED STILT, BLACK-BELLIED and SEMIPALMATED PLOVER, KILLDEER, SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER, WILLET, plus STILT, PECTORAL, SPOTTED, LEAST, and a peak count of 125 WESTERN SANDPIPERS. There were many more LESSER than GREATER YELLOWLEGS present. A GULL-BILLED TERN was reported flying over the impoundments, along with LEAST, CASPIAN, and FORSTER’S TERNS plus BLACK SKIMMER. A LESSER SCAUP was seen Monday at Shearness Pool, along with MUTE SWANS, COMMON GALLINULE and LEAST BITTERN, a SANDHILL CRANE was reported in the tall reeds. SEASIDE and SALTMARSH SPARROW were seen along the Bo!
ardwalk Trail, along with WILLOW FLYCATCHER and YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT.

The first RED KNOT and SANDERLING returned to Mispillion Inlet at the duPont Nature Center, along with BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER, SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHERS, and SPOTTED SANDPIPER. AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHERS were seen along the jetty, along with a peak count of 58 WILLETS. BLACK-NECKED STILT, BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER plus PECTORAL, WESTERN, and LEAST SANDPIPER were seen at Broadkill Marsh in Prime Hook National Wildlife Refuge near Milton, along with BLACK SKIMMER and LEAST TERN. AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHER and SPOTTED SANDPIPER were seen along Prime Hook Beach Road. The previously reported DICKCISSEL and BOBOLINKS continue to be seen along the Prime Hook entrance road, along with NORTHERN BOBWHITE, YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO, and AMERICAN KESTREL. PROTHONOTARY, YELLOW-THROATED, YELLOW and PRAIRIE WARBLER were seen at Turkle’s Pond. VIRGINIA RAIL was reported along the Dike trail. An EASTERN MEADOWLARK was reported at Sussex Co Airport along Route 1, opposite Oyster Rocks Road.

A pair of ROSEATE TERNS were seen at Cape Henlopen Point, along with LEAST, ROYAL, COMMON and FORSTER’S TERNS, plus 8 LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULLS. PIPING PLOVER and American Oystercatcher was seen on the bayside washflats. TRICOLORED HERON was reported at Gordon’s Pond, along with 9 AMERICAN AVOCETS, SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER, and SEMIPALMATED PLOVER. BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCH and YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT were found along the Gordon’s Pond trail. There was a peak count of 65 BROWN PELICANS at the Herring Point. An immature male COMMON EIDER and a single BLACK SCOTER was seen at the North Shore of Rehoboth Beach.

A TRICOLORED HERON was seen flying over downtown Rehoboth. A WHITE IBIS was seen flying over Old Landing, west of Rehoboth. WHITE IBIS and BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERONS were seen at Savage’s Ditch and Burton’s Island in Delaware Seashore State Park. TRICOLORED HERON continues to be seen at Assawoman Wildlife Area, along with RED-HEADED WOODPECKER and a female HOODED MERGANSER. BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCH was reported at Bay Forrest in Bethany Beach.

VESPER SPARROW continues to be reported at Ponders Road near Ellendale. BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCH, SUMMER TANAGER, and YELLOW-THROATED VIREO were found at the headquarters in Redden State Forest. SUMMER TANAGER and YELLOW WARBLER were also reported in Greenwood.

COMMON NIGHTHAWK was seen at Cape Henlopen Point. EASTERN WHIPPOORWILL continues to be heard calling at the south end of Broadkill Beach. CHUCK-WILLS-WIDOW and WHIPPOORWILL were heard in the evening at Big Stone Beach Road in Milford Neck Wildlife Area.

RED-HEADED WOODPECKER and BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCH continue to be found along the Big Stone Beach Road. BLACK SKIMMER and VIRGINIA RAIL were found at the marsh. HOODED, KENTUCKY, PROTHONOTARY, and WORM-EATING WARBLER along with SUMMER TANAGER were found along Berrytown Road in the Norman G. Wildlife Area near Viola. BONAPARTE’S and LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL were photographed at Port Mahon. BANK SWALLOW was seen at the Pioneer Dredge Ponds south of Dover. CLIFF SWALLOWS continue to be seen at the Leipsic River Bridge and Fleming’s Landing Bridge along Route 9.

SORA, VIRGINIA RAIL and COMMON GALLINULE were reported at the observation platform in the Ashton Tract in Augustine Wildlife Area. YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT was calling along the entrance road. LITTLE BLUE HERON, CATTLE EGRET, and LEAST BITTERN were seen flying over Thousand Acre Marsh. LITTLE BLUE HERON and GLOSSY IBIS were reported at the Port Penn impoundments. DICKCISSELS, GRASSHOPPER SPARROW and EASTERN MEADOWLARK were photographed at the Charles E. Price Park along St. Anne’s Church Road in Middletown.

A male WHITE-THROATED SPARROW made a surprising summer visit to a yard in Hockessin. Yellow-BILLED CUCKOO, VEERY and BLUE GROSBEAK were reported at Ashland Nature Center. VEERY was seen along Thompson’s Station Road in White Clay Creek State Park. Summer residents reported at Thompson’s Bridge in White Clay Creek include LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH, AMERICAN REDSTART, NORTHERN PARULA AND YELLOW WARBLER, along with YELLOW-THROATED and WARBLING VIREO. WARBLING VIREO was also reported at Bellevue State Park.
The 3 PEREGRINE FALCONS were reported at Rodney Square in downtown Wilmington. An AMERICAN KESTREL was reported at the Wilmington Friends Meeting House at Quaker Hill off Washington Street.

Special thanks to the many people that make the Birdline possible including, Mary Ann Levan, Kevin Fox, Holly Merker, Clive Haris, Bert Filemyr, Laureen Eick-Benson, Kate Blouse, Jennifer Llewelyn, Joe Sebastiani, Leo Custer, Bart Frazier, Matthew Young, Joy and David Peters, Robert Wilson, Kitt Heckscher, Frank Lenik, Carolyn Holland, Barbara Conway, Rob Line, Brian McCaffery, Richard Julian, Teddy Burke, Sheila Smith, Kim Steininger, Aaron Reb, Mike Moore, Ian Stewart, Amy and Jim White, Sally O’Byrne, Chris and Karen Bennett, Anthony Gonzon, Gary Griffith, Megan Kasprzak, Rob and Carol Blye, Wayne Longbottom, Nancy Cunningham, Sue Gruver, Sharon Lynn, Chris Haddon, Ellen Erickson, John and Andy Dunn, Bruce Peterjohn, Scott Northey, Kris Benarcik, Chris Machulski, Ryan Crane, Joe Swertinski, and Joe Russell. Birdline needs your sightings. Please call your reports into 302-792-9591 or email <ednieap...> Remember to practice social distancing. Until next week, this!
is Andy Ednie wishing you good birding!

-end transcript

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 7/8/20 4:10 pm
From: Sarah L. <birdsinde...>
Subject: [de-birds] Chimney swifts
I'm at Skyline Middle School in Wilmington, Delaware. There are at least 3
swifts flying overhead the parking lot. I love listening to their chirps.

Just wanted to pass that along.

Stay healthy all.

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 7/7/20 2:42 am
From: Andy Ednie, Claymont, DE. <000006be14ba5998-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [de-birds] Ruff at Bombay Hook
Shorebirds are back! I went birding with Joe Swertinski on Monday morning, visiting Raymond and Shearness Pool. Highlights were:

Ruff - at the North end of Shearness Pool. Medium size shorebird with chestnut back, black breast, short bill, legs greenish yellow. Wilson's Phalarope  - 3 birds at the South end of Raymond Pool. Breeding plumage female, breeding male and a non breeding plumage female. Pectoral Sandpiper  - at the North end of Shearness. Peep that was larger then semipalms but smaller then dowitchers, medium sized bill. scalloped back and streaked breast with sharp demarcation line. Stilt Sandpiper  2 at the South end of Raymond Pool.

Additionally, other shorebirds seen included:
Black-necked Stilt  1American Avocet  3Black-bellied Plover  1Semipalmated Plover  5Killdeer  16Least Sandpiper  11Semipalmated Sandpiper  360Western Sandpiper  4Short-billed Dowitcher  1125Lesser Yellowlegs  243
All these Lesser Yellowlegs and not a single Greater! This shorebird show should get better over the next few weeks. There were a few biting flies, but tolerable.

Good birding,
Andy

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 7/6/20 12:37 pm
From: David and Joy Peters <Trogon1000...>
Subject: [de-birds] Birding TodayDE bir
It was a very hot day today, but some of us still braved the sultry weather to see a few good birds. We began at Bombay Hook, and here are the highlights:

* Shorebirds! – plenty of short-billed dowitchers, semipalmated sandpipers & lesser yellowlegs at Raymond with a male & female Wilson’s phalarope still feeding in the shallows
* 1 glossy ibis flyover
* 3 American avocets foraging in the grass at Raymond
* A least tern & a few Caspian terns
* 2 black-necked stilts at Shearness & 2 at Bear Swamp
* A single pectoral sandpiper (FOY) with a few least sandpipers on the mud flats at Shearness Pool
* Many singing seaside sparrows seen from the boardwalk with 1 juvenile saltmarsh sparrow foraging on the boardwalk
* A beautiful yellow-breasted chat making a different 1-note call as it foraged thru a bush (with others heard in several locations – are they more common this year, or is it my imagination?)

We then went down to Prime Hook and felt lucky to find 5 bobolinks, at least 3 of which were males in breeding plumage. They were on the left as we entered the refuge where there is a tall meadow with many flowering plants at the moment
A young dickcissel was also on the utility wire.

But it was hot, so we started for home earlier than usual, but not before hearing a prairie warbler on the way out of the refuge. That added a pleasant touch. 😊

Joy Peters
Dover, DE
<Trogon1000...>

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 7/2/20 3:03 am
From: Andy Ednie, Claymont, DE. <000006be14ba5998-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [de-birds] RBA: Birdline Delaware, July 1st, 2020
RBA
* Delaware
* Statewide
* July 1, 2020
* DEST 20. 07. 01

*Birds mentioned
Snow Goose
Mute Swan
Green-winged Teal
Lesser scaup
Black Scoter
Surf Scoter
Eastern Whippoorwill
Chuck-wills -widow
Common Nighthawk
Black-billed Cuckoo
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Sora
Virginia Rail
King Rail
Common Gallinule
American Oystercatcher
Black-necked Stilt
American Avocet
Black-bellied Plover
Semipalmated Plover
Piping Plover
Killdeer
Whimbrel
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper
Short-billed Dowitcher
Spotted Sandpiper
Lesser Yellowlegs
Willet
Greater Yellowlegs
WILSON’S PHALAROPE
Lesser Black-backed Gull
ROSEATE TERN
Common Tern
Caspian Tern
Least Tern
Royal Tern
Black Skimmer
AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN
Brown Pelican
Least Bittern
Great Blue heron
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
Little Blue Heron
Tricolored Heron
Cattle Egret
Black-crowned Night Heron
WHITE IBIS
Glossy Ibis
Northern Harrier
Red-shouldered Hawk
Red-headed Woodpecker
Peregrine Falcon
Cliff Swallow
Yellow-throated Vireo
Warbling Vireo
Brown-headed Nuthatch
Grasshopper Sparrow
Savannah Sparrow
Seaside Sparrow
Saltmarsh Sparrow
Yellow-breasted Chat
Bobolink
Eastern Meadowlark
Worm-eating Warbler
Prothonotary Warbler
American Redstart
Black-And-White Warbler
Hooded Warbler
Kentucky Warbler
Yellow-throated Warbler
Summer Tanager
DICKCISSEL

Hotline: Birdline Delaware
Date: July 1, 2020
To Report: Andy Ednie 302-792-9591 (VOICE)
Compiler: Andy Ednie (<ednieap...>)
Coverage: Delaware, Delmarva Peninsula, nearby Delaware Valley, Southern
New Jersey, Maryland

Happy Birthday, USA! For the Fourth of July weekend on Wednesday, July 1st this is Birdline Delaware from the Delaware Museum of Natural History in Greenville. The Birdline is sponsored by the Delaware Ornithological Society. One new bird was added this week, the unofficial Delaware Annual list for 2020 increased to 322 species.
New this week was 3 AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS at the beach. These birds were seen Saturday flying over Route 1 south of Dewey Beach in Delaware Seashore State Park. Later the same day, these 3 birds were seen on the marsh side of Indian River Inlet. An AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN has been at Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge this summer, but the multiple numbers reported with this sighting suggests that these birds recently arrived from the breeding grounds along western Lake Erie.
Large numbers of BROWN PELICANS continue to be seen along the Delaware Coast. Two BROWN PELICANS reached Kent Co. along the Delaware Bay at Mispillion Inlet’s Back Beach, seen from the Dupont Nature Center. There was a peak count of 105 BROWN PELICANS seen at Herring Point in Cape Henlopen State Park. 43 PELICANS were seen at Cape Henlopen Point, and 55 PELICANS were seen at Whisky Beach at Gordon’s Pond on the north side of Rehoboth Beach. BROWN PELICAN was seen all along the coast and inland bays, from Rehoboth to Fenwick Island. 30 BROWN PELICANS were seen at White’s Creek at Cedar Neck and 20 birds were found at Burton’s Island behind the north marina at Indian River Inlet.
17 WHITE IBIS were seen this week in the cedars at Savage’s Ditch, in Delaware Seashore State Park with 107 GLOSSY IBIS. A high count of 100 WHITE IBIS were reported at Gordon’s Pond on Sunday, along with LITTLE BLUE and TRICOLORED HERON. WHITE IBIS and TRICOLORED HERON was also seen at the Rehoboth marshes along Route 1 in Delaware Seashore State Park. The Heron count at Veteran’s Park in Delaware City reported 140 GREAT BLUE, 352 GREAT EGRETS, 100 SNOWY EGRETS, 248 LITTLE BLUE HERON, 495 CATTLE EGRETS, 89 BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERONS, and 171 GLOSSY IBIS.
SURF and BLACK SCOTERS were seen at the Harbor of Refuge breakwater at Cape Henlopen State Park. Two early WHIBRELS flew past the Cape Henlopen hawk watch on Monday. AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHER, PIPING, SEMIPALMATED, and BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS were reported at Cape Henlopen Point, along with BLACK SKIMMER, LEAST, ROYAL and COMMON TERN. There was a peak count of 38 LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULLS seen at Herring Point. AMERICAN AVOCET continue to be seen at Gordon’s Pond. BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCHES and PRAIRIE WARBLER were reported at the Seaside Nature Center.

COMMON NIGHTHAWK was reported at Ft. Miles in Cape Henlopen. CHUCK’S-WILL-WIDOWS were reported at Gordon’s Pond and Big Stone Beach Road near Milford. A WHIP-POOR-WILL was heard calling from Broadkill Beach. RED-HEADED WOODPECKER was seen at Holt’s Landing State Park near Bethany Beach and the Herring Creek Trail on Angola Neck off the Camp Arrowhead Road. WORM-EATING WARBLER and SUMMER TANAGER were seen in Harbleson. BLACK AND WHITE, YELLOW-THROATED and WORM-EATING WARBLER plus SUMMER TANAGER was reported at Redden State Forest near Georgetown.

A DICKCISSEL was found calling and photographed from the telephone line heading to the headquarters at Prime Hook National Wildlife Refuge. EASTERN MEADOWLARK, GRASSHOPPER SPARROW, YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT, NORTHERN BOBWHITE, and an early male BOBOLINK were found along the entrance road. PRAIRIE and PROTHONOTARY WARBLER were reported along the Boardwalk Trail. A banded ROSEATE TERN was found at the bridge along the Prime Hook Beach Road, along with BLACK SKIMMER and KING RAIL. AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHER, BLACK-NECKED STILT, and 57 WILLETS were reported at Mispillion Inlet, along with LEAST, CASPIAN, and ROYAL TERNS. SEASIDE and SALTMARSH SPARROWS were reported at both Lighthouse Road and the Marvel Saltmarsh Preserve in Slaughters Beach.

The previous reported DICKCISSELS at Charles E. Price Park on St. Anne’s Church Road in Middletown continue to be seen, frequently sitting on the irrigation equipment. Other grassland species seen included EASTERN MEADOWLARK, HORNED LARK, SAVANNAH and GRASSHOPPER SPARROW. CLIFF SWALLOWS were reported at the Route 9 Appoquinmink Bridge near Odessa, at the Fleming Landing Bridge, and the Leipsic River Bridge.

RED-HEADED WOODPECKER continues to be seen along the Big Stone Beach Road in Milford Neck Wildlife Area. SUMMER TANAGER, PROTHONOTARY and KENTUCKY WARBLER were reported at Killen’s Pond State Pond near Frederica. KENTUCKY, WORM-EATING, and a peak count of 4 HOODED WARBLERS, plus BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO was found along Berrytown Road in the Norman G. Wilder Wildlife Area near Viola. BARRED OWL was heard in south Dover at Fiddler’s Green. A high count of 26 BLACK-NECKED STILTS was reported from the central tower section for Little Creek Wildlife Area.

The previously reported WILSON’S PHALAROPE continues to be seen at Shearness Pool in Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge near Smyrna. The first returning shorebirds were reported this week including, AMERICAN AVOCET, BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER, SPOTTED, LEAST, and SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER, SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER, and both GREATER and LESSER YELLOWLEGS, along with BLACK-NECKED STILTS, KILLDEER and WILLET. Waterfowl seen included SNOW GOOSE, MUTE SWAN, GREEN-WINGED TEAL and a peak count of 120 WOOD DUCKS (most fledglings). COMMON GALLINULE and LEAST BITTERN were reported at Shearness Pool and NORTHERN HARRIER was seen hunting over the marsh. BLACK SKIMMER and LEAST TERN was found roosting at Bear Swamp. GRASSHOPPER SPARROW was seen at the Delaware state university research farm along the Smyrna-Leipsic Road near Smyrna.

COMMON GALLINULE, LITTLE BLUE HERON and GLOSSY IBIS were found at the Port Penn impoundments at Augustine Wildlife Area. The Ashton Tract along the Thorntown Road had SORA, VIRGINIA RAIL and COMMON GALLINULE plus LEAST BITTERN today. A pair of drake LESSER SCAUP were photographed at the Ashton Tract on Tuesday.

A HOODED WARBLER and YELLOW-THROATED VIREO was found at White Clay Creek State Park along Thompson Station Road. RED-SHOULDERED HAWK was found at Christiana Manor in Newark. Three CATTLE EGRETS had wandered to the Walther’s Farm near Bear off U.S. Route 40.

YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO and WARBLING VIREO were found at Ashland Nature Center. VEERY was reported at Oversee Farm off Snuff Mill Road and at Brandywine Game Preserve off Twaddell Mill Road. An AMERICAN REDSTART was found at Thompson’s Bridge in Brandywine Creek State Park, along with YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO and WOOD DUCKS. EASTERN MEADOWLARK and an early BOBOLINK were reported along the entrance road to Brandywine Creek.

The previous reported PEREGRINE FALCONS with five fledglings can be seen at the Brandywine building in downtown Wilmington. An observer saw four young PEREGRINES dive-bombing a low flying TURKEY VULTURE near the entrance to Wilmington Hospital. Must be target practice!

Special thanks to the many people that make the Birdline possible including, Robert Wilson Kitt Heckscher, Frank Lenik, Carolyn Holland, Jim Lenhard, Barbara Conway, Brian Henderson, Harvey Rubenstein, Sam Neat, Hudson Moore, Rob Line, Brian McCaffery, Richard Julian, Teddy Burke, Sheila Smith, Kim Steininger, Aaron Reb, Mike Moore, Ian Stewart, Amy and Jim White, Chris and Karen Bennett, Anthony Gonzon, Gary Griffith, Megan Kasprzak, Rob and Carol Blye, Wayne Longbottom, Nancy Cunningham, Sue Gruver, Sharon Lynn, Chris Haddon, Ellen Erickson, John and Andy Dunn, Bruce Peterjohn, Scott Northey, Kris Benarcik, Chris Machulski, Ryan Crane, Joe Swertinski, and Joe Russell. Birdline needs your sightings. Please call your reports into 302-792-9591 or email <ednieap...> Remember to practice social distancing. Until next week, this is Andy Ednie wishing you good birding!

-end transcript

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 6/25/20 3:12 am
From: Andy Ednie, Claymont, DE. <000006be14ba5998-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [de-birds] RBA: Birdline Delaware, June 24th, 2020
RBA
* Delaware
* Statewide
* June 24, 2020
* DEST 20. 06. 24

*Birds mentioned
Mute Swan
Blue-winged Teal
Green-winged Teal
Common Nighthawk
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
King Rail
Common Gallinule
American Oystercatcher
Black-necked Stilt
American Avocet
Black-bellied Plover
Semipalmated Plover
Piping Plover
Killdeer
Ruddy Turnstone
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper
Short-billed Dowitcher
Lesser Yellowlegs
Willet
Greater Yellowlegs
WILSON’S PHALAROPE
Laughing Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
GULL-BILLED TERN
Common Tern
Caspian Tern
Least Tern
Royal Tern
Black Skimmer
Brown Pelican
Least Bittern
Little Blue Heron
Tricolored Heron
Cattle Egret
Green Heron
Black-crowned Night Heron
Yellow-crowned Night Heron
WHITE IBIS
Osprey
Northern Harrier
Bald Eagle
Red-headed Woodpecker
Peregrine Falcon
Willow Flycatcher
Bank Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Yellow-throated Vireo
Warbling Vireo
Brown-headed Nuthatch
Grasshopper Sparrow
Savannah Sparrow
Seaside Sparrow
Saltmarsh Sparrow
Yellow-breasted Chat
Bobolink
Eastern Meadowlark
Worm-eating Warbler
Prothonotary Warbler
American Redstart
Black-And-White Warbler
Hooded Warbler
Kentucky Warbler
Northern Parula
Yellow Warbler
Yellow-throated Warbler
Summer Tanager
DICKCISSEL

Hotline: Birdline Delaware
Date: June 24, 2020
To Report: Andy Ednie 302-792-9591 (VOICE)
Compiler: Andy Ednie (<ednieap...>)
Coverage: Delaware, Delmarva Peninsula, nearby Delaware Valley, Southern
New Jersey, Maryland

For Wednesday June 24th this is Birdline Delaware from the Delaware Museum of Natural History in Greenville and sponsored by the Delaware Ornithological Society. One new bird were added this week, the unofficial Delaware Annual list for 2020 increased to 320 species.

There were two reports of GULL-BILLED TERN last week, at Assawoman Wildlife Area and Broadkill Marsh in Prime Hook National Wildlife Refuge near Milton. There were two GULL-BILLED TERNS flying over the impoundments at Assawoman on Monday, along with an early single BANK SWALLOW.

There was a peak count of 3 WILSON’S PHALAROPE at Shearness Pool in Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge near Smyrna all week. These birds are seen at the sandbar before the turn in the Autotour road at the north end of the impoundment. Other shorebirds seen included BLACK-NECKED STILT, KILLDEER, LEAST SANDPIPER, SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER, WILLET, and both GREATER and LESSER YELLOWLEGS, along with LEAST BITTERN and COMMON GALLINULE. MUTE SWAN and GREEN-WINGED TEAL were reported this week. PEREGRINE FALCON and an adult male NORTHERN HARRIER were seen hunting over the marsh. BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERON was seen at the Swimming Hole. GRASSHOPPER SPARROW was found in the field between the refuge visitor center and Shearness tower. WILLOW FLYCATCHER and YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT were heard along the Boardwalk Trail. NORTHERN BOBWHITE and WILD TURKEY were seen along the auto tour. CASPIAN TERN and BLACK SKIMMER were seen fishing over the salt marsh. A pair of PROTHONOTARY WARBLERS were fo!
und at Finis Ditch where it crosses Route 9 north of Raymond Neck Road.

The previous reported DICKCISSELS at Charles E. Price Park on St. Anne’s Church Road in Middle continue to be seen, frequently sitting on the irrigation equipment. Other grassland species seen included EASTERN MEADOWLARK, HORNED LARK, SAVANNAH and GRASSHOPPER SPARROW. There were 16 CLIFF SWALLOWS reported at the Route 9 Appoquinmink Bridge near Odessa. Additionally, CLIFF SWALLOWS continue to be seen at the Smyrna River near the Fleming Landing Bridge along Route 9. SEASIDE SPARROW was photographed at Stave’s Landing.

HOODED WARBLER was seen at Walnut Tree Road near Blackiston off Route 6 west of Smyrna and at the Norman G. Wilder Wildlife Area off Beagle Club Road near Viola south of Dover. Other birds at this latter location include BARRED OWL, YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO, plus WORM-EATING, KENTUCKY, and PINE WARBLER along with 4 SUMMER TANAGERS, 3 males and a female.

WHITE IBIS numbers are increasing as post breeding dispersal from their breeding grounds along Virginia’s Eastern Shore has begun. Three immature WHITE IBIS were seen flying out to the heronry at Pea Patch Island from Veteran’s Park in Delaware City on Sunday, along with LITTLE BLUE HERON, CATTLE EGRET, and BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERON. An adult YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT HERON was seen at Veteran’s Park today. Twelve WHITE IBIS were seen flying over Cape Henlopen State Park. There was a peak count of 75 WHITE IBIS seen flying in to Gordon’s Pond last week. Elsewhere, there was a flock of 32 WHITE IBIS seen at New Road, south of Dewey Beach in Delaware Seashore State Park. LITTLE BLUE HERON and BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERON was seen at the drainage ditch along Route 1 near Key Box Road. Nine WHITE IBIS were seen from Quillen’s Point over Indian River Bay.

There was a peak count of 10 PIPING PLOVER, 6 AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHERS and RUDDY TURNSTONE at Cape Henlopen Point during the annual Fish and Wildlife census. There were 24 LEAST, 4 COMMON, ROYAL and FORESTER’S TERNS at the Point, along with BROWN PELICAN. An all-time high of 172 BROWN PELICANS was reported on Tuesday at the park, with 52 PELICANS at the Point and 120+ birds flying past the hawk watch. BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCH was seen at the Seaside Nature Center and BANK SWALLOW was seen at the hawk watch. AMERICAN AVOCET and GREATER YELLOWLEGS were photographed at Gordon’s Pond. RED-HEADED WOODPECKER was seen along the Walking Dunes Trail, along with WORM-EATING, BLACK AND WHITE, PROTHONOTARY and YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER plus SUMMER TANAGER. COMMON NIGHTHAWK was reported at Herring Point.

RED-HEADED WOODPECKER and BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCH was reported at Assawoman Wildlife Area and along the Herring Creek Nature Trail on Angola Neck off the Camp Arrowhead Road. TRICOLORED HERON was also reported at both of these locations. PROTHONOTARY WARBLER was reported at Betts Pond and GRASSHOPPER SPARROW was seen at Plantation Lake near Millsboro. YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO was seen in a yard near Greenwood. YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO, YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT, SUMMER TANAGER, plus WORM-EATING, KENTUCKY, BLACK AND WHITE, and YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER were reported at Redden State Forest. RED-HEADED WOODPECKER was also reported in Lewes and at Prime Hook.

A KING RAIL was photographed along Prime Hook Beach Road on Friday. A BLUE-WINGED TEAL was seen on Saturday. Shorebirds seen included AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHER, BLACK-NECKED STILT, RUDDY TURNSTONE, SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER, and SEMIPALMATED PLOVER. There was a peak count of 110 BLACK SKIMMERS at Broadkill Marsh, along with LEAST and CASPIAN TERN. NORTHERN BOBWHITE and YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT were found at Prime Hook headquarters. An early male BOBOLINK was seen entrance road on Tuesday, along with GRASSHOPPER SPARROW and EASTERN MEADOWLARK. BLACK AND WHITE, WORM-EATING, PROTHONOTARY, YELLOW-THROATED, PRAIRIE, and YELLOW WARBLER were reported near headquarters.

AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHER, BLACK-NECKED STILT, BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER, SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER, WILLET plus ROYAL TERN and BLACK SKIMMER were reported at the DuPont Nature Center at Mispillion Inlet near Slaughter’s Beach. LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL, LEAST and CASPIAN TERNS were seen at Back Beach, north of the nature center along with 2000 LAUGHING GULLS. SEASIDE and SALTMARSH SPARROW were seen along Lighthouse Road.

MUTE SWAN was seen at Thousand Acre Marsh near Port Penn. A PEREGRINE FALCON was seen flying at eye level along Route 9 over the Reedy Point Bridge, along with 2 active OSPREY nests. NORTHERN BOBWHITE was reported at the Mike Castle Trail.

AMERICAN REDSTART and PRAIRIE WARBLER were found at Middle Run Natural Area near Newark. AMERICAN REDSTART, NORTHERN PARULA, and PRAIRIE WARBLER were found at White Clay Creek State Park. BARRED OWL was reported at Phillips Park off West Park Place in Newark. LITTLE BLUE and GREEN HERON was seen at Newark Reservoir.

YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO, YELLOW WARBLER, plus WARBLING and YELLOW-THROATED VIREO were found at Ashland Nature Center. WILLOW FLYCATCHER and NORTHERN ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOW were reported at Auburn Heights State Park in Yorklyn. YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT and PRAIRIE WARBLER were seen at First State National Historic Park, along with WARBLING and YELLOW-THROATED VIREO. YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT and EASTERN MEADOWLARK were found along the entrance road at Brandywine Creek State Park.

The previous reported PEREGRINE FALCONS with five fledglings can be seen at the Brandywine building in downtown Wilmington. LEAST BITTERN was found at the Peterson Urban Wildlife Refuge at the Wilmington Riverfront. An adult BALD EAGLE was seen flying over I-495 along the Christian River today.

Special thanks to the many people that make the Birdline possible including, Shawn Heacock, Leo Custer, Melissa Laugherty, Julia Johns, Jack Hutchison, Tom Roth, Ryan Recel, Val Carter, Oliver Langrand, Rob Line, Brian McCaffery, Richard Julian, Alice Mohrman, Teddy Burke, Sheila Smith, Kim Steininger, Rod Murray, Aaron Reb, Mike Moore, Ian Stewart, John Skibicki, Amy and Jim White, Judy Montgomery, Jeff Climie, Chris and Karen Bennett, Anthony Gonzon, Gary Griffith, Megan Kasprzak, Rob and Carol Blye, Wayne Longbottom, Nancy Cunningham, Sue Gruver, Sharon Lynn, Chris Haddon, Ellen Erickson, John and Andy Dunn, Bruce Peterjohn, Scott Northey, Chris Machulski, Ryan Crane, Joe Swertinski, and Joe Russell. Birdline needs your sightings. Please call your reports into 302-792-9591 or email <ednieap...> Remember to practice social distancing. Until next week, this is Andy Ednie wishing you good birding!

-end transcript

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 6/21/20 11:52 am
From: David Shen <dctshen...>
Subject: Re: [de-birds] Post war birding in Colombia - no sighting
Dear Mb from NoVa,

As a former DE birder and a now Nevada sometimes birder, thanks for the
enlightening post. Also as a former copy editor, your note was quite clean,
but I wasn't reading it to copy edit.

Aloha, David

On Sun, Jun 21, 2020 at 6:20 AM m b <marlabeth...> wrote:

> [...]
> Especially in a country like Colombia, with all their problems and
> realities. They are only 4 years into the peace agreement. He intended to
> mix birders from all different social backgrounds (guerrilla ex-combatants,
> soldiers/police, paramilitary ex-combatants, civilian victims, hardcore
> birders, etc etc etc) and not focus on seeing the most species; instead,
> focus on enjoying together what links us all: BIRDS!
>
> Unfortunately, due to the pandemic things are rather different. And so
> instead of posting a link last month to a crowdfunding site to support the
> global big Day getting people together through birding experiment in
> Colombia 2020, I am now posting an alternate link. 20 birding guides and
> their tiny, tiny companies have gotten together to try to support their
> employees during this time. I think it's an excellent cause. Colombia is
> just beginning to open up to tourism, and having former farc Rebels saving
> their forest as an ecotourism spot is a pretty amazingly positive story.
> But if due to the pandemic no one can get any work, who knows what will
> happen.
>
> Colombia has more species of birds than any country in the world. So even
> though this really doesn't have anything to do in particular with Delaware
> birding, I am posting for people who might like to see the National
> Geographic film. And who might like to donate to keep birding guides and
> the families that put people up, and the drivers, and all of the support
> people who give us so much, and have contributed to so many people seeing
> life birds, afloat until birding can open up again in Colombia. The money
> will go to a hundred and fifty families who in one way or another are
> employed by these tiny Colombian bird guide companies.
>
> I hope many of you enjoy this National Geographic film. And of course I
> hope that many of you decide to donate to help these people keep birding
> tourism alive in Colombia. I realize that many people here are suffering
> financially as a result of the pandemic, and so please don't feel bad if
> you can't give anything. Just enjoy the short film and plan a trip to
> Colombia for when things open up and we all have more money and easier
> travel!
>
> Vaki is a very safe and completely encrypted site which is commonly used
> in Colombia. It is available in both English and Spanish. Should you feel
> more comfortable with a bank transfer which can be done with worldremit or
> several other companies, for free or sometimes a small fee of $3, instead
> of the 25-40 dollars banks usually charge, please feel free to contact
> Diego at the following email address and you can arrange an alternate
> method of donating should you so wish.
>
> <diegocolombiabirding...><mailto:<diegocolombiabirding...>
>
> https://en.vaki.co/vaki/1591551223119
>
> Mb visiting from NoVa
>

> sent from my phone so please excuse all typos, gibberish, and horrifying

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top

Date: 6/18/20 4:40 am
From: Andy Ednie, Claymont, DE. <000006be14ba5998-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [de-birds] RBA: Birdline Delaware, June 17th, 2020
RBA
* Delaware
* Statewide
*June 17, 2020
* DEST 20. 06. 17

*Birds mentioned
Snow Goose
Mute Swan
Wood Duck
Gadwall
Surf Scoter
Bufflehead
Common Nighthawk
Chuck-wills-widow
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Virginia Rail
Sora
Sandhill Crane
American Oystercatcher
Black-necked Stilt
American Avocet
Black-bellied Plover
Semipalmated Plover
Piping Plover
Ruddy Turnstone
Sanderling
Dunlin
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Short-billed Dowitcher
Lesser Yellowlegs
Willet
Greater Yellowlegs
WILSON’S PHALAROPE
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Black Tern
Common Tern
ROSEATE TERN
Caspian Tern
Least Tern
Royal Tern
SANDWICH TERN
Black Skimmer
Brown Pelican
Least Bittern
Snowy Egret
Little Blue Heron
Cattle Egret
Green Heron
Black-crowned Night Heron
Yellow-crowned Night Heron
Glossy Ibis
WHITE IBIS
Wilson’s Storm-Petrel
Northern Gannet
Red-headed Woodpecker
American Kestrel
Peregrine Falcon
Willow Flycatcher
Cliff Swallow
Yellow-throated Vireo
Warbling Vireo
Brown-headed Nuthatch
Veery
Grasshopper Sparrow
Savannah Sparrow
Vesper Sparrow
Yellow-breasted Chat
Eastern Meadowlark
Louisiana Waterthrush
Worm-eating Warbler
Prothonotary Warbler
American Redstart
Black-And-White Warbler
Hooded Warbler
Kentucky Warbler
Yellow Warbler
Yellow-throated Warbler
Summer Tanager
DICKCISSEL

Hotline: Birdline Delaware
Date: June 17, 2020
To Report: Andy Ednie 302-792-9591 (VOICE)
Compiler: Andy Ednie (<ednieap...>)
Coverage: Delaware, Delmarva Peninsula, nearby Delaware Valley, Southern
New Jersey, Maryland

For Wednesday June 17th this is Birdline Delaware from the Delaware Museum of Natural History in Greenville and sponsored by the Delaware Ornithological Society. No new birds were added this week, the unofficial Delaware Annual list for 2020 remained at 319 species.

There was a peak count of 5 DICKCISSELS found at the Charles E. Price Park in Middletown off St. Anne’s Church Road. These birds were found near the entrance at the gravel road on the right and also east of the big pond. Other grassland birds reported included EASTERN MEADOWLARK, SAVANNAH, and GRASSHOPPER SPARROW. PROTHONOTARY WARBLER, NORTHERN PARULA, and YELLOW-THROATED VIREO were found at the Naudain Tract in Blackbird State Forest along saw Mill Road. HOODED, WORM-EATING, and KENTUCKY WARBLER were found at Walnut Tree Road near Blackiston, west of Clayton. Twenty CLIFF SWALLOWS were reported at the Appoquinmink Bridge on Route 9 east of Odessa. NORTHERN BOBWHITE, WILLOW FLYCATCHER, and YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT reported at Cedar Swamp Wildlife Area east of Townsend.

A female BUFFLEHEAD was seen on Thousand Acre Marsh at the Ashton Tract in Augustine Wildlife Area with LITTLE BLUE HERON and GLOSSY IBIS. NORTHERN PARULA and YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT were found in the Ashton Tract woods. A SANDHILL CRANE was reported in a yard in Delaware City. LITTLE BLUE HERON, CATTLE EGRET, and YELLOW WARBLER were found at Veterans Park.

BARRED OWL, YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO, YELLOW-THROATED VIREO, LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH, AMERICAN REDSTART, NORTHERN PARULA, YELLOW, and PRAIRIE WARBLER were found at White Clay Creek State Park near Newark. WILLOW FLYCATCHER, WARBLING VIREO, and GREEN HERON were found at the pond complex in Paper Mill Park. A RING-NECKED PHEASANT was found at Smith’s Mill Road in White Clay Creek along with WARBLING and YELLOW-THROATED VIREO, AMERICAN REDSTART, PRAIRIE and YELLOW WARBLER.

Baby AMERICAN KESTRELS were banded at Coverdale Farms off Way Road. YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO, COOPER’S HAWK, WARBLING VIREO, and YELLOW WARBLER were found at Ashland Nature Center. A VEERY was calling at the Girl Scout Camp Woods off Sharpless Road. WILLOW FLYCATCHER was also reported at Winterthur Museum. YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO, WARBLING and YELLOW-THROATED VIREO, YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT, LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH, NORTHERN PARULA, YELLOW and PRAIRIE WARBLER were found at First State National Historic Park.

Once again, BLACK-BELLIED WHISTLING DUCKS were at a retention pond in Delaware! Two BLACK-BELLIED WHISTLING DUCKS were at the Bon Ayre community pond south of Smyrna on Sunday. GRASSHOPPER SPARROW was seen in Camden off Carter Road. PROTHONOTARY WARBLER was found at the Mud Mill Pond boat ramp near Marydel.

There was a peak count of 8 BLACK SKIMMER at Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge near Smyrna. Shorebirds seen included AMERICAN AVOCET, BLACK-NECKED STILT, SEMIPALMATED PLOVER, SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER, SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER, GREATER YELLOWLEGS, and WILLET. SNOW GOOSE and MUTE SWAN continue to be seen in the impoundments. WILD TURKEY and BOBWHITE were found along the roadway. GLOSSY IBIS and BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERON were found at Shearness Pool along with calling LEAST BITTERN. GRASSHOPPER SPARROW, EASTERN MEADOWLARK, YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT, AND WILLOW FLYCATCHER were reported along the auto tour. A SORA was heard calling at Bear Swamp trail.

BLACK-NECKED STILT, GREATER YELLOWLEGS, WILLET, BLACK SKIMMER, and BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERON were reported at the Port Mahon impoundments of Little Creek Wildlife Area. A late RUDDY TURNSTONE along with BLACK SKIMMER was seen at Bennett’s Pier in Milford Neck Wildlife Area. A peak count of 52 BLACK SKIMMER, 125 SNOWY EGRETS, plus VIRGINIA RAIL and BLACK-NECKED STILT were found along Big Stone Beach Road. RED-HEADED WOODPECKER and BROWN HEADED NUTHATCH were found in the Big Stone Beach woods. BARRED OWL and WOOD DUCK were found in the Murderkill River off Fork Landing Road near Frederica with PROTHONOTARY and YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER. PROTHONOTARY WARBLER and SUMMER TANAGER were found at Killen’s Pond State Park

A BLACK TERN was seen Sunday with LEAST, CASPIAN, ROYAL TERN plus BLACK SKIMMER at Broadkill Beach Road in Prime Hook National Wildlife Refuge near Milton. Two WHITE IBIS with a flock of GLOSSY IBIS along with LITTLE BLUE HERON were seen in the Broadkill Marsh. Shorebirds seen included DUNLIN and LESSER YELLOWLEGS. GADWALL, VIRGINIA RAIL and LEAST BITTERN was found at Prime Hook Beach Road along with LEAST, CASPIAN, and ROYAL TERN. EASTERN MEADOWLARK was found along the Prime Hook Beach Road. RED-HEADED WOODPECKER was found at Little Neck Wildlife Area off Big Stone Beach Road along with YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO, BARRED OWL, BLACK AND WHITE and KENTUCKY WARBLER. PROTHONOTARY and PRAIRIE WARBLER were at Prime Hook Headquarters along with GRASSHOPPER SPARROW, and NORTHERN BOBWHITE.

Four days of northeast winds at Cape Henlopen State Park brought in rare terns to The Point. Two ROSEATE TERNS and an adult SANDWICH TERN plus LEAST, ROYAL, and 25 COMMON TERNS were seen at Cape Henlopen Point today. Shorebirds reported included AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHER, PIPING PLOVER, RUDDY TURNSTONE and SANDERLING. There was a peak count of 58 BROWN PELICAN and an immature NORTHERN GANNET offshore yesterday. LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULLS was found at the Cape Henlopen Swimming Beach. BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCH was found at the Seaside Nature Center. A WILSON’S PHALAROPE was seen last Wednesday at Gordon’s Pond along with AMERICAN AVOCET, BLACK-BELLIED and SEMIPALMATED PLOVER, DUNLIN, LEAST TERN, and BLACK SKIMMER. WILLOW FLYCATCHER and YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO were found along the Gordon’s Pond walking trail. WILSON’S STORM-PETREL, BROWN PELICAN, COMMON and LEAST TERN were seen from the Cape May-Lewes Ferry. Several scattered flocks of SNOWY EGRETS were seen from the ferry flying!
out to sea.

Four COMMON TERNS were seen off Rehoboth Beach. RED-HEADED WOODPECKER was also found at Angola Neck Nature Preserve off the Camp Arrowhead Road. GREAT CRESTED FLYCATCHER was found in a yard at Indian Beach near Dewey. TRICOLORED and GREEN HERON plus BLACK-CROWNED and YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT HERON were seen at Burtons Island near Indian River Inlet, with BROWN PELICAN. GLOSSY IBIS and BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCH were found at Bethany Beach. MUTE SWAN, RED-HEADED WOODPECKER, and BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCH were reported at Assawoman Wildlife Area.

RED-HEADED WOODPECKER and BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCH were found at Assawoman Wildlife Area along with MUTE SWAN and WILD TURKEY. WORM-EATING WARBLER was reported at a yard in Harbison. VESPER SPARROW was reported off Ponder Road near Ellendale. SUMMER TANAGER was reported at the Jester tract in Redden State Forest. Another SUMMER TANAGER was found at Phillips Landing in Nanticoke wildlife area near Laurel.

COMMON NIGHTHAWK was found at Gordon’s Pond and Cape Henlopen. CHUCK-WILLS-WIDOWS were reported at Big Stone Beach, Harbison and Angola Neck this week.

The previous reported PEREGRINE FALCONS with five fledglings can be seen at the Brandywine building in downtown Wilmington. LEAST BITTERN and MARSH WREN were found at the Peterson Urban Wildlife Refuge at the Wilmington Riverfront.

Special thanks to the many people that make the Birdline possible including, Anthony DeFeo, Gerry Teig, Lewis Ware, Josephine Kalbfleisch, David Fees, Rob Line, Brian McCaffery, Richard Julian, Alice Mohrman, Teddy Burke, Diane Kane, Sheila Smith, Kim Steininger, Rod Murray, Aaron Reb, Mike Moore, Ian Stewart, John Skibicki, Amy and Jim White, Judy Montgomery, Jeff Climie, John Vassallo, Lynn Kohler, Chris and Karen Bennett, Anthony Gonzon, Gary Griffith, Megan Kasprzak, Rob and Carol Blye, Wayne Longbottom, Nancy Cunningham, Sue Gruver, Sharon Lynn, Chris Haddon, Ellen Erickson, John and Andy Dunn, Bruce Peterjohn, Scott Northey, Chris Machulski, Ryan Crane, Joe Swertinski, and Joe Russell. Birdline needs your sightings. Please call your reports into 302-792-9591 or email <ednieap...> Remember to practice social distancing. Until next week, this is Andy Ednie wishing you good birding!

-end transcript

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 6/14/20 6:35 am
From: Meghann Matwichuk <meghann.matwichuk...>
Subject: [de-birds] Virtual DOS Presentation Wednesday, 6/17 @ 7pm on Northern Bobwhite
Hello DE-Birders,

The Delaware Ornithological Society invites you to join us via Zoom for a
virtual meeting on Wednesday, June 17, 2020 at 7pm. Following an election
for our 2020/21 officers’ slate, our presentation will be “Northern
Bobwhite: A Species on the Edge” with biologist Craig Rhoads. More
information can be found at the DOS website:

https://www.dosbirds.org/special-dos-june-meeting-northern-bobwhite-a-species-on-the-edge-with-craig-rhoads/

Non-members are welcome to attend -- please email me (meghann.matwichuk at
gmail.com) for the meeting link and password.

Good birding,

Meghann Matwichuk

DOS President

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Back to top
Date: 6/14/20 6:09 am
From: m b <marlabeth...>
Subject: [de-birds] Free online ebird workshop (no sighting)
For anyone, like myself, who finds eBird a bit complicated and unwieldy, here is a free workshop. I don't have any problem creating a checklist and deciding whether or not to submit it. But I do find some of the rest of the options a bit daunting. I'm sure many of you are experts but I'm also sure I'm not the only one who could use a little help. It says it's for beginners, but it's also for people like myself who have been using it as best they can for some years now but still find a lot of the options difficult or complicated.

https://harriscenter.org/events/ebird-for-beginners

Mb from nova

sent from my phone so please excuse all typos, gibberish, and horrifying misspellings

List help: <DE-BIRDS-request...>

Join us on Facebook!