ible
Received From Subject
8/21/18 10:56 am LARRY ARNOLD <larnold47...> [ible] <ible-noreply...> [IBLE] Interesting thread about YB Cuckoo north of Sacramento CA [1 Attachment]
8/20/18 7:42 am LARRY ARNOLD <larnold47...> [ible] <ible-noreply...> Re: [IBLE] Re: New yard bird: Rufous Hummer
8/20/18 5:47 am Peggy Wyman <peggywyman...> [ible] <ible-noreply...> [IBLE] Re: New yard bird: Rufous Hummer
8/19/18 1:31 pm 'Tom McCabe' <tmccabe9...> [ible] <ible-noreply...> [IBLE] New yard bird: Rufous Hummer
8/19/18 11:18 am <lcarrigan_55...> [ible] <ible-noreply...> [IBLE] A few interesting ones
8/18/18 10:14 am 'Wayne Weber' <contopus...> [ible] <ible-noreply...> [IBLE] eBird taxonomic update
8/18/18 7:04 am <lcarrigan_55...> [ible] <ible-noreply...> [IBLE] Another in the Mix
8/17/18 7:41 pm LARRY ARNOLD <larnold47...> [ible] <ible-noreply...> [IBLE] Bogus Basin Birds (Boise County)
8/17/18 6:44 pm <lcarrigan_55...> [ible] <ible-noreply...> [IBLE] Rufous Hummingbird Migration
8/17/18 6:27 am 'Wayne Weber' <contopus...> [ible] <ible-noreply...> RE: [IBLE] eBird phylo ???
8/15/18 3:59 pm Charles Swift <chaetura...> [ible] <ible-noreply...> Re: [IBLE] eBird phylo ???
8/15/18 1:04 pm LARRY ARNOLD <larnold47...> [ible] <ible-noreply...> Re: [IBLE] eBird phylo ???
8/15/18 11:44 am Zeke Watkins <scottywarbler...> [ible] <ible-noreply...> Re: [IBLE] eBird phylo ???
8/14/18 1:33 pm LARRY ARNOLD <larnold47...> [ible] <ible-noreply...> [IBLE] eBird phylo ???
8/14/18 12:30 pm LARRY ARNOLD <larnold47...> [ible] <ible-noreply...> [IBLE] For the hummer fans among us........
8/12/18 9:14 am Dan Richards <hobyjudy...> [ible] <ible-noreply...> [IBLE] Odd looking Evening Grosbeak (New Meadows) [1 Attachment]
8/11/18 10:27 pm Darren Clark <darrenclarkbird...> [ible] <ible-noreply...> [IBLE] Camas NWR
8/10/18 9:46 am 'Larry Arnold' <larnold47...> [ible] <ible-noreply...> [IBLE] Hum-chatter on IBLE
8/7/18 10:35 pm Aol Mail <kit619...> [ible] <ible-noreply...> [IBLE] Bank Swallows [1 Attachment]
8/7/18 9:54 pm LARRY ARNOLD <larnold47...> [ible] <ible-noreply...> Re: [IBLE] Birding in Texas may soon be reduced
8/7/18 4:55 pm kathleen struthers <kit619...> [ible] <ible-noreply...> [IBLE] Bank Swallows
8/5/18 9:51 am 'Tom McCabe' <tmccabe9...> [ible] <ible-noreply...> [IBLE] Birding in Texas may soon be reduced
7/31/18 7:17 pm <ible...> [IBLE] File - IBLE Guidelines.txt
7/31/18 12:54 pm LARRY ARNOLD <larnold47...> [ible] <ible-noreply...> Re: [IBLE] Hoot Owl Hummers
7/30/18 6:32 pm <lcarrigan_55...> [ible] <ible-noreply...> [IBLE] Second Time
7/30/18 7:23 am Bill Moore <hootowlbill...> [ible] <ible-noreply...> [IBLE] Hoot Owl Hummers
7/29/18 1:35 pm Diann Stone <dstoneak2id...> [ible] <ible-noreply...> Re: [IBLE] More Young Black-chinned Hummingbirds
7/28/18 8:36 pm <lcarrigan_55...> [ible] <ible-noreply...> [IBLE] More Young Black-chinned Hummingbirds
7/27/18 3:02 pm <mbusshp6m...> [ible] <ible-noreply...> [IBLE] Willow Flycatcher, Boise River
7/27/18 11:44 am Cliff and Lisa Weisse <cliffandlisa...> [ible] <ible-noreply...> Re: [IBLE] Alder Flycatcher(s)
7/27/18 10:51 am Charles Swift <chaetura...> [ible] <ible-noreply...> Re: [IBLE] Barred, again! [1 Attachment]
7/27/18 10:49 am Mary Korkor <marykorkor...> [ible] <ible-noreply...> [IBLE] Barred, again! [1 Attachment]
7/27/18 9:57 am Richard Rusnak <rarusnak62...> [ible] <ible-noreply...> Re: [IBLE] L. Waterthrush—Ketchum update
7/27/18 8:14 am Austin Young <austinyoung234...> [ible] <ible-noreply...> [IBLE] L. Waterthrush—Ketchum update
7/27/18 8:06 am JC <jcurd1959...> [ible] <ible-noreply...> [IBLE] Alder Flycatcher(s)
7/26/18 7:47 pm <lcarrigan_55...> [ible] <ible-noreply...> [IBLE] Interesting Black-chinned Hummingbird
7/22/18 1:06 pm Mary Korkor <marykorkor...> [ible] <ible-noreply...> [IBLE] Pinyon jay?

Back to top
Date: 8/21/18 10:56 am
From: LARRY ARNOLD <larnold47...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>
Subject: [IBLE] Interesting thread about YB Cuckoo north of Sacramento CA [1 Attachment]

Hoping this will be of interest to folks at IBO and possibly a few birders on IBLE?

Western YBCU is a vanishing breed as their habitat gets chewed up.

Their status in Idaho is somewhat "tentative" maybe? And I’m not sure if any of their remaining habitat is protected from development per se……..??

Larry, Boise

Date: 8/20/18 7:42 am
From: LARRY ARNOLD <larnold47...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [IBLE] Re: New yard bird: Rufous Hummer

I can relate...... way too much time watching hums!! =)
Have yard work and other stuff to do, must do.
LA

Here in Idaho Falls I have had more hummingbird activity than ever before in the nine years I've lived here. I've had one or two Calliope's which I've never seen before in my yard. I've had a female black-chinned on a regular basis and yesterday I'm pretty sure a male black-chinned came back after a few weeks absence, after having seen them all summer. And I've got four or five Rufous bombarding everybody! It is so fun to watch them that I'm spending way too much time hummingbird watching!

Back to top

Date: 8/19/18 1:31 pm
From: 'Tom McCabe' <tmccabe9...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>
Subject: [IBLE] New yard bird: Rufous Hummer
I'm probably the last person in Boise to have finally recognized a Rufous
Hummer in his yard, but I'm as happy as a hog at the trough. Susan has been
telling me that she's been seeing a "different" hummer in the yard, and I
have caught glimpses, but today the little jewel hung around near a window
while I had binoculars already in hand, and then she (?) went to the hanging
fuchsia and worked over a number of flowers. Since I have Sibley open to
hummingbirds on a nearby chest of drawers, and since I've been paging
through that section over and over, I'm happy to say that I'm confident in
my ID.

On another note, I would agree that hummingbird activity has increased this
summer. I have been privy to more aerial combat than ever before, and they
sometimes come to the window to either say "thank you" or "we need more
sugar water!" Sometimes I think it's a little of both. ;-)

Tom McCabe, Boise

Back to top
Date: 8/19/18 11:18 am
From: <lcarrigan_55...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>
Subject: [IBLE] A few interesting ones
Besides the hummingbird feeder action, I've had a few interesting observations since Thu. It took me until last evening to confirm, but I've seen an adult Peregrine Falcon on three occasions on & near the place. Finally, got a good binocular look yest. Also, have seen a couple of Dusky Fly-catchers along with both adult & juvenile W Wood-Pewees. And both adult & juvenile Cedar Waxwings which nested in my windrow of Rocky Mountain junipers. This AM, had a Red-naped Sapsucker working through backyard willows.

Brian Carrigan
Blackfoot

To view archived messages go to:

http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/ible

To view the IBLE Photos archive go to:

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
<ible-digest...>
<ible-fullfeatured...>

<ible-unsubscribe...>

Back to top
Date: 8/18/18 10:14 am
From: 'Wayne Weber' <contopus...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>
Subject: [IBLE] eBird taxonomic update
Idaho Birders,

For those of you who use eBird, the once-a-year taxonomic update (which
included some major changes in the sequence of bird families and species) is
now almost complete. A detailed article was posted yesterday on the eBird
website, at the following URL:

https://ebird.org/news/2018-ebird-taxonomy-update

The article is very long, and includes a complete listing of all the splits,
lumps and other taxonomic changes around the world (whew!!). However, I
would recommend that everyone who uses eBird should read at least the first
few paragraphs of this article.

Wayne C. Weber

Delta, BC, Canada

<contopus...>

Back to top
Date: 8/18/18 7:04 am
From: <lcarrigan_55...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>
Subject: [IBLE] Another in the Mix
Calliope Hummingbirds have joined the other two (Black-chinned & Rufous) this AM. Larry may have the answer, all the flowering plants I find are also dry & brittle. Hummers may be on the move in large numbers, as native nectar sources have dried up.

Date: 8/17/18 7:41 pm
From: LARRY ARNOLD <larnold47...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>
Subject: [IBLE] Bogus Basin Birds (Boise County)

Missy and I took our annual hike at Bogus this morning, up through mixed conifer, 6600 – 7500 ft, enjoyed temperatures in the 60s, 35 sp of birds and two Snowshoe Hares. =) It was extremely dry!! Flowering plants (lupine, fireweed, paintbrush, larkspur) looked like they had spent the night in our food dryer, and offered virtually no nectar for hummingbirds. Maybe this explains why we presently have more birds at our humfeeders than we’ve ever had?

Notre liste eBird: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47905134

Larry

--

Back to top
Date: 8/17/18 6:44 pm
From: <lcarrigan_55...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>
Subject: [IBLE] Rufous Hummingbird Migration
Looks like the fall Rufous Hummingbird Migration is in full force through SE Idaho right now. The past two days, I've had numerous male, female & juvenile Rufous hitting the nectar feeders. And some epic mid-air chases & face-to-face battles with my resident Black-chinneds.

There is one male Black-chinned that tries to dominate one feeder starting about 6:30 every AM. He makes a good show of it for about 45 minutes, until he's simply overwhelmed by numbers. A fun show!

Date: 8/17/18 6:27 am
From: 'Wayne Weber' <contopus...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>
Subject: RE: [IBLE] eBird phylo ???
Larry and Idaho Birders,

The changes in the sequence of bird families is not temporary—it is permanent (at least until next year!) because of changes in the North American bird checklist made by the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Ornithological Society.

I am attaching my (somewhat critical) commentary on this change below. It was originally made as a comment on a blog entry by Harry Fuller, well-known Oregon bird blogger. Birders, feel free to take potshots either at me or at the AOS Committee if you like!

Wayne C. Weber

Delta, BC, Canada

<contopus...>

(Occasional visitor to Idaho, but

long-time member of this group)

Actually, Harry, there have been major changes in the sequence of songbirds, which you seem to have overlooked. Finches now come immediately after waxwings, before warblers and sparrows. The warblers now come AFTER sparrows and blackbirds, and the cardinals and grosbeaks (including North American "tanagers") now come after the warblers and immediately before weaver finches.. Sheesh!!

The change in the checklist sequence of families this year is the biggest one I have ever seen, but there are some changes every year. Sadly, I do not see any likelihood of this sequence stabilizing anytime soon. The sequence in which families and orders of birds are placed is supposed to reflect evolutionary history, but it is far more arbitrary and based on guesswork than the sequence within a family.

Like you, I groaned when I saw the new sequence. Even though I am a professional ornithologist, I get tired of the never-ending changes in sequence. It will take awhile till I get used to the new sequence, and until then, it will take me longer to fill out eBird checklists because I will be looking for some species.

Incorporating the latest research findings into the North American (and other) bird checklists may be important to the few ornithologists who study evolutionary biology, but the annual changes in sequence are a pain in the butt to amateur birders and to everyone who compiles a local bird checklist or fills out checklists in eBird. For my money, the checklist committee ought to revise the checklist only once every 5 years or so, and give us as chance to get used to the checklist changes before they turn everything upside down again.

Date: 8/15/18 3:59 pm
From: Charles Swift <chaetura...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>
eBird taxonomic order follows AOS checklist order (at least for North
America) which includes some of the revisions being seen in eBird (for
example diurnal raptors are now placed shorebirds). There are also some
weird subspecies showing up on the default checklist which as Zeke notes
should be sorted out in the next few days.

Charles.

--
Charles Swift
Moscow, Idaho

Back to top
Date: 8/15/18 1:04 pm
From: LARRY ARNOLD <larnold47...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>

Thank you, Zeke!
I know we go through this annually, but I don't recall so much *chaos* in the ordering of families! Egadz!
Shuffling within a family is one thing, but this is crazy stuff. At one point, House Sparrows were spliced into the middle of the list, and mallards were "rarities" all everywhere! (reference other state listservs)
Hoping that when the dust settles we'll see something akin to what we're used to seeing, eh?
Larry

Just since yesterday's entries, the ordering of bird groups (families, etc.) looks wacko!! I had to go looking for raptors of all things...... Does anyone know if this is temporary whilst they juggle for a few days, or is this now the order of things avian?
Very strange!
Thanks in advance for any insight,Larry
--

#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305 -- #yiv9301530305ygrp-mkp {border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:10px 0;padding:0 10px;}#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305ygrp-mkp hr {border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305ygrp-mkp #yiv9301530305hd {color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:700;line-height:122%;margin:10px 0;}#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305ygrp-mkp #yiv9301530305ads {margin-bottom:10px;}#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305ygrp-mkp .yiv9301530305ad {padding:0 0;}#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305ygrp-mkp .yiv9301530305ad p {margin:0;}#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305ygrp-mkp .yiv9301530305ad a {color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305ygrp-sponsor #yiv9301530305ygrp-lc {font-family:Arial;}#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305ygrp-sponsor #yiv9301530305ygrp-lc #yiv9301530305hd {margin:10px 0px;font-weight:700;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305ygrp-sponsor #yiv9301530305ygrp-lc .yiv9301530305ad {margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305actions {font-family:Verdana;font-size:11px;padding:10px 0;}#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305activity {background-color:#e0ecee;float:left;font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;padding:10px;}#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305activity span {font-weight:700;}#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305activity span:first-child {text-transform:uppercase;}#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305activity span a {color:#5085b6;text-decoration:none;}#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305activity span span {color:#ff7900;}#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305activity span .yiv9301530305underline {text-decoration:underline;}#yiv9301530305 .yiv9301530305attach {clear:both;display:table;font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;padding:10px 0;width:400px;}#yiv9301530305 .yiv9301530305attach div a {text-decoration:none;}#yiv9301530305 .yiv9301530305attach img {border:none;padding-right:5px;}#yiv9301530305 .yiv9301530305attach label {display:block;margin-bottom:5px;}#yiv9301530305 .yiv9301530305attach label a {text-decoration:none;}#yiv9301530305 blockquote {margin:0 0 0 4px;}#yiv9301530305 .yiv9301530305bold {font-family:Arial;font-size:13px;font-weight:700;}#yiv9301530305 .yiv9301530305bold a {text-decoration:none;}#yiv9301530305 dd.yiv9301530305last p a {font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}#yiv9301530305 dd.yiv9301530305last p span {margin-right:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}#yiv9301530305 dd.yiv9301530305last p span.yiv9301530305yshortcuts {margin-right:0;}#yiv9301530305 div.yiv9301530305attach-table div div a {text-decoration:none;}#yiv9301530305 div.yiv9301530305attach-table {width:400px;}#yiv9301530305 div.yiv9301530305file-title a, #yiv9301530305 div.yiv9301530305file-title a:active, #yiv9301530305 div.yiv9301530305file-title a:hover, #yiv9301530305 div.yiv9301530305file-title a:visited {text-decoration:none;}#yiv9301530305 div.yiv9301530305photo-title a, #yiv9301530305 div.yiv9301530305photo-title a:active, #yiv9301530305 div.yiv9301530305photo-title a:hover, #yiv9301530305 div.yiv9301530305photo-title a:visited {text-decoration:none;}#yiv9301530305 div#yiv9301530305ygrp-mlmsg #yiv9301530305ygrp-msg p a span.yiv9301530305yshortcuts {font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;font-weight:normal;}#yiv9301530305 .yiv9301530305green {color:#628c2a;}#yiv9301530305 .yiv9301530305MsoNormal {margin:0 0 0 0;}#yiv9301530305 o {font-size:0;}#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305photos div {float:left;width:72px;}#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305photos div div {border:1px solid #666666;min-height:62px;overflow:hidden;width:62px;}#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305photos div label {color:#666666;font-size:10px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;white-space:nowrap;width:64px;}#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305reco-category {font-size:77%;}#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305reco-desc {font-size:77%;}#yiv9301530305 .yiv9301530305replbq {margin:4px;}#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305ygrp-actbar div a:first-child {margin-right:2px;padding-right:5px;}#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px;font-family:Arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305ygrp-mlmsg table {font-size:inherit;font:100%;}#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305ygrp-mlmsg select, #yiv9301530305 input, #yiv9301530305 textarea {font:99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305ygrp-mlmsg pre, #yiv9301530305 code {font:115% monospace;}#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305ygrp-mlmsg #yiv9301530305logo {padding-bottom:10px;}#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305ygrp-msg p a {font-family:Verdana;}#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305ygrp-msg p#yiv9301530305attach-count span {color:#1E66AE;font-weight:700;}#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305ygrp-reco #yiv9301530305reco-head {color:#ff7900;font-weight:700;}#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305ygrp-reco {margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305ygrp-sponsor #yiv9301530305ov li a {font-size:130%;text-decoration:none;}#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305ygrp-sponsor #yiv9301530305ov li {font-size:77%;list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;}#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305ygrp-sponsor #yiv9301530305ov ul {margin:0;padding:0 0 0 8px;}#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305ygrp-text {font-family:Georgia;}#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305ygrp-text p {margin:0 0 1em 0;}#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305ygrp-text tt {font-size:120%;}#yiv9301530305 #yiv9301530305ygrp-vital ul li:last-child {border-right:none !important;}#yiv9301530305

Back to top

Date: 8/14/18 12:30 pm
From: LARRY ARNOLD <larnold47...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>
Subject: [IBLE] For the hummer fans among us........

A few photos to peek at =)
Larry

Date: 8/12/18 9:14 am
From: Dan Richards <hobyjudy...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>
Subject: [IBLE] Odd looking Evening Grosbeak (New Meadows) [1 Attachment]
Saw this bird at my feeder this morning with the evening grosbeaks. It was acting more aggressive than the other birds. Sorry about the blurry photo.. It was predawn hours and a long lens. I assume it is just a weird color morph. Any other thoughts?
Dan Richards
New Meadows, ID

Back to top
Date: 8/11/18 10:27 pm
From: Darren Clark <darrenclarkbird...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>
Subject: [IBLE] Camas NWR
Conditions at Camas NWR (Jefferson County) are fantastic for shorebirds. Toomey Pond (at the south end of the auto route) is one big mud flat. There are hundreds of Ibis (including young birds with really short bills), and various shorebird species. I had 15 species today, including several super close Solitary Sandpipers. Also, there are still at least 2 Blue Grosbeaks in the area.

Darren Clark
Rexburg, ID

Back to top
Date: 8/10/18 9:46 am
From: 'Larry Arnold' <larnold47...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>
Subject: [IBLE] Hum-chatter on IBLE

I always enjoy the postings about hummers! I believe that peak southbound
migration through Ada County and through the South Hills near Twin is during
late July through mid-August, based primarily on sugar-water consumption.
Might be similar for the feeders at Silver City in Owyhee County..?

Our usual peak is 20+ hums fussing over our 10 feeders, mostly Black-chins
with an occasional Rufous and Calliope. During the winter of 2015-16, we
had a peak of 4 Anna's, and we know this because Heidi and Jessica had come
over for banding. =) I really miss the Broad-tails we had in western
Colorado, and of course all those SE Arizona specialties.

This is the time of year that Ospreys, Collared-doves, and Screech-owls are
doing a lot of yipping and hollering in our hood. I'm thinking it has to do
with fledged birds on the loose, eh?

Larry

Boise

Back to top
Date: 8/7/18 10:35 pm
From: Aol Mail <kit619...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>
Subject: [IBLE] Bank Swallows [1 Attachment]
Just some of the thousands of Bank Swallows near the Springfield Fish Hatchery this afternoon.

Kit

Kit Struthers
Idaho Falls, ID
<kit619...>

Back to top
Date: 8/7/18 9:54 pm
From: LARRY ARNOLD <larnold47...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [IBLE] Birding in Texas may soon be reduced

Thx Tom....... birding that part of the state (LRGV) has become a weird experience over the years. Missy and I were there a few years ago and I believe it will be our last attempt, sadly

Larry

Date: 8/7/18 4:55 pm
From: kathleen struthers <kit619...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>
Subject: [IBLE] Bank Swallows
Hundreds of them on the wires, in the trees and flying around today at Springfield Ponds. Then thousands of them near the Springfield Fish Hatchery—on the power lines, on the road and flying around over the water. Fall migration starting?

Kit

Kit Struthers
Idaho Falls, ID
<kit619...>

Date: 7/31/18 7:17 pm
From: <ible...>
Subject: [IBLE] File - IBLE Guidelines.txt

Posts to the IBLE group are not moderated but should follow these general guidelines. Please read the prohibition below the guidelines.

1) All messages are to be signed by the poster, using his/her real name.
Along with the name, it is considered good practice to also show your e-mail
address, and city from which you post.

2) Messages reporting sightings, should also provide at least minimal
information as to where the sighting took place, i.e., State, County,
City/Town. Major birding destinations such as Deer Flat NWR, Minidoka NWR,
American Falls Reservoir, etc. may be adequate in some situations. However,
if the sighting is expected to generate interest sufficient to have other
birders travel to view the bird, more detailed directions should be provided,
or the name and contact info for someone willing to supply such directions on
request.

3) Messages concerning caged birds, feral cats, etc. are strongly discouraged.

4) Messages conveying derogatory statements about any other person, a person's
occupation or motives are strictly forbidden, and will be cause for one's
membership to be suspended or even terminated for severe or repeated offenses.

5) It is permissible to post digital images to the list, but not more than
1 or 2 at a time and not in excess of 300K total. More extensive collections should be posted to the "Photos" section of the IBLE website. Contact the listowner, if you need more details.

PROHIBITED
Posting of directions to the location of any owl nest is not permitted. In addition photos of owls at a nest are not permitted on IBLE. Failure to follow this rule will result in loss of posting privileges. No Exceptions.

Again, enjoy your membership on IBLE, and we look forward to reading your
contributions to the group.

Cliff Weisse, owner/moderator
<cliffandlisa...>
Island Park, ID

Jane Westervelt, owner/moderator
<jwestervelt...>
Moscow, ID

Date: 7/31/18 12:54 pm
From: LARRY ARNOLD <larnold47...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [IBLE] Hoot Owl Hummers

jealous to hear about everyone's hums, esp Rufous, and we should be close to peak fall migration, ja?
i miss them dearly, big sigh.......!!!
i know where to go see them, but it's not the same as hosting them, eh?

Larry

Date: 7/30/18 6:32 pm
From: <lcarrigan_55...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>
Subject: [IBLE] Second Time
For the second time in my birding years, I just came upon a female Yellow Warbler doing all she can...to keep her juvenile BH Cowbird fed!

Others: I found a House Wren pair feeding their second brood of the season from the same nesting cavity they successfully used earlier in the season. And I have loads of BH Grosbeaks & Lazuli Buntings...adults & young of each are simply abundant this summer.

Date: 7/29/18 1:35 pm
From: Diann Stone <dstoneak2id...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [IBLE] More Young Black-chinned Hummingbirds
Thanks for your report. The chocolate color is interesting, especially
since you see a youngster with similar coloration.

On Sat, Jul 28, 2018, 9:34 PM <lcarrigan_55...> [ible] <
<ible-noreply...> wrote:

> Today has been one of only Black-chinned Hummingbirds coming into the
> nectar feeder. Both adults & juveniles. At least one of the juveniles must
> be a male & is just starting to get a few irridescent gorget feathers.
>
> Another must be the offspring of the "chocolate" male Black-chinned I
> noted the other day. It's a juvenile bird & a Black-chinned in all
> respects, except it has a chocolate-brown colored top of head &
> chocolate-rufous coloring on its back & tail, where normally green would
> show. I counted 7 distinct Black-chinneds today, 2 males, 2 females, the
> rest, juveniles.
>
> Brian Carrigan
> Blackfoot

Back to top

Date: 7/27/18 3:02 pm
From: <mbusshp6m...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>
Subject: [IBLE] Willow Flycatcher, Boise River
Saw one WF this morning around 11:45, and then hear another in the same area. The location of the seen bird was on the south channel of the river east of Eagle Road about 3/4 of a mile down the trail. The exact location was 43.67658, -116.34333.

Cheers,
Marty Marzinelli, Eagle

Back to top
Date: 7/27/18 11:44 am
From: Cliff and Lisa Weisse <cliffandlisa...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [IBLE] Alder Flycatcher(s)
Hey Jon,

That's really cool. Stands to reason there are other sites in the area
but it's always nice when someone finds them. Thanks for sharing...

Cliff

--
Cliff and Lisa Weisse
Island Park, Idaho

Back to top
Date: 7/27/18 10:51 am
From: Charles Swift <chaetura...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [IBLE] Barred, again! [1 Attachment]
eBird was down for a while this morning but seems to be back up now.

--
Charles Swift
Moscow, Idaho

Back to top

Date: 7/27/18 9:57 am
From: Richard Rusnak <rarusnak62...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [IBLE] L. Waterthrush—Ketchum update
Thanks for the update, sad to see our little visitor go. It was fun to spend time with it last week.
Rich Rusnak

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 27, 2018, at 9:14 AM, Austin Young <austinyoung234...> [ible] <ible-noreply...> wrote:
>
> For the sake of keeping all updated, Zeke Watkins and I birded the waterthrush spot and a little to the north last night for a couple hours and never found the bird. He went back again this morning also with no luck. Very neat spot though.
>

> Good birding,
>
> Austin Young
> Twin Falls
> --
> Austin Young
> Twin Falls, ID
> <austinyoung224...>

Back to top

Date: 7/27/18 8:06 am
From: JC <jcurd1959...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>
Subject: [IBLE] Alder Flycatcher(s)
For those not able to access the Facebook ID rare birds & discussions group, here is a copy & paste from a few minutes ago:

Sorry for the late post, but I had no internet during my nights camping and wanted to include some photos on one of the checklists as well.
I finally was able to make the trip to n. Idaho in search of the ALFl(s), realizing that it had been well over 2 weeks since the last report. I was hoping to be there at first light, when the odds of a bird still calling this late in the nesting season might be best, but that didn't end of happening due to other birding. I did check the stake-out location on Tuesday late afternoon and saw/heard no "Traill's" type flycatchers in the vicinity. It was extremely warm (90's) and not much bird activity that late in day and that hot. I returned, much later than planned, the following morning (still very hot) and did hear the "pip" call from one of 2 birds that flew into a green tamarack tree together, which is very distinctive from the soft "whit" call of the WIFL, which I heard many times during the trip. The bird was right alongside the road, pretty much at the exact pin location from Jay/Heidi and Janet Phillips. I was able to observe the bird before it disappeared, never to be heard/seen again by me. I never did get a visual on the second bird, but it appeared to be the same species, at least size/shape/flight pattern wise when it flew into the tree. The link to the eBird checklist is: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47475030 <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47475030>
Also, I am quite positive of hearing an alder flycatcher while driving the West Side Road, perhaps 13 miles south of the stake-out site, along a very dusty dirt road section. I heard a lot of willow flycatchers on the 3 day trip, all with the usual "fitz-bew" sneezy call and this one was quite distinctive with the burry "free beer" call. That eBird checklist can be found at: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47474574 <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47474574>

Date: 7/26/18 7:47 pm
From: <lcarrigan_55...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>
Subject: [IBLE] Interesting Black-chinned Hummingbird
I've had an interesting male Black-chinned Hummingbird coming into my feeder the past few days. Where the typical male has a very dark head, chin & the violet throat patch, this male is totally chocolate brown in coloration, at those areas. It took me about a day to figure the bird out. Its visits to the feeder are quite sporadic & brief, but the size, rest of its coloration & wing beat sounds are all Black-chinned. Kind of cool.

Date: 7/22/18 1:06 pm
From: Mary Korkor <marykorkor...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>
Subject: [IBLE] Pinyon jay?
Hey Idaho friends, I am back in Idaho and trying to find Pinyon Jays. Any advice or help you can give me? Much appreciated!

Mary Korkor
Wisconsin/ Boise visitor

Sent from my iPhone