CTBirds
Received From Subject
7/26/24 2:54 pm Jalna Jaeger via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] Budgie
7/24/24 4:27 pm John D Babington via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] Bird nesting boxes and Black Bears
7/23/24 6:29 am Frank Mantlik via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] Milford Point Purple Martins
7/23/24 5:58 am Rick Kenneally via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] Nesting action
7/22/24 1:33 pm Brendan Murtha via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] Norwalk CASPIAN TERN
7/21/24 7:43 am Ernest Harris via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] From the deck
7/18/24 7:14 pm Steve Mayo via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] New London to Orient Point Ferry 7/18
7/18/24 5:47 pm Stefan Martin via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] Birdcraft temporarily closed
7/15/24 3:24 am Mark Szantyr via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] Re: FYI re: Whistling Ducks
7/14/24 10:47 pm Tom de Boor via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] Re: FYI re: Whistling Ducks
7/14/24 9:47 pm Tom de Boor via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] FYI re: Whistling Ducks
7/14/24 12:10 pm Beverly Propen via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] Crosby Pond & Orange backyard
7/14/24 11:43 am Alec Wiggin via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] Male Baltimore Oriole
7/12/24 9:35 am MICKY KOMARA via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] Whistling ducks
7/12/24 3:57 am jaybrd49--- via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] Re: Give Gallinules a break
7/11/24 5:43 pm Mark Szantyr via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] Re: Give Gallinules a break
7/11/24 2:38 pm Gregory Hanisek via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] Give Gallinules a break
7/11/24 4:40 am richard sharon via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] Veeries
7/10/24 2:34 pm MICKY KOMARA via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] 80 dowitchers in Hammo Boulder Pond
7/10/24 11:12 am Chuck Imbergamo via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] West Haven BLACK-BELLIED WHISTLING DUCKS
7/10/24 9:00 am Paul Desjardins via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] Oops
7/10/24 3:37 am Paul Desjardins via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] Verries
7/9/24 9:27 am Sean Williams via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] Stilt Sandpiper at Harkness Park, Waterford
7/8/24 7:57 am Chuck Imbergamo via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] Hammo Roseate Terns
7/8/24 6:42 am Celeste Echlin via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] Common Gallinule still in Marsh, Farmington
7/5/24 9:32 am Sean Williams via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] Whimbrel at Harkness Park, Waterford
7/2/24 3:12 pm SARAH FAULKNER via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] Re: Baby bluejaya
7/2/24 1:28 pm Nichols Photography via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] Re: Baby bluejaya
7/2/24 12:47 pm Stacey Essaid via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] Baby bluejaya
7/2/24 7:38 am James Nordgren via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] Re: CTBirds Digest, Vol 6263, Issue 1
7/1/24 4:40 pm ed bailey via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] Thrush song
7/1/24 3:30 pm semeon tsalbins via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] oyster catchers
7/1/24 8:01 am imbercj--- via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] July Welcome
6/30/24 5:30 pm Angela Dimmitt via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] Worm-eating Warbler and Acadian Flycatcher in my Garden
6/30/24 3:40 pm Beverly Propen via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] Orange Backyard
6/28/24 10:05 am Frank Mantlik via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] Feeding Frenzy Housatonic River mouth.
6/28/24 9:21 am Ellynne Rey via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] Mohawk Mountain
6/28/24 7:16 am Dan Rottino via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] Franklin’s Gull continues
6/27/24 7:01 am W RUPP via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] Re: interesting woodpecker behavior in New Britain, Bob Jase
6/26/24 10:46 am Audrey Staropoli via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] Re: interesting woodpecker behavior in New Britain, Bob Jase
6/26/24 10:38 am Angela Dimmitt via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] LHAS Talk - Nick Bonomo on Shorebirds
6/26/24 6:58 am Kathy Van Der Aue via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] Re: interesting woodpecker behavior in New Britain, Bob Jase
6/26/24 6:11 am teustis killingworthlibrary.org via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] Re: interesting woodpecker behavior in New Britain, Bob Jase
6/26/24 5:40 am Robert Jase via CTBirds <ctbirds...> [CT Birds] interesting woodpecker behavior in New Britain, Bob Jase

Back to top
Date: 7/26/24 2:54 pm
From: Jalna Jaeger via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Budgie
Jalna Jaeger Norwalk
My sister on Ash creek in Fairfield has a green budgie at her bird feeder.
Anyone in Fairfield , Bridgeport missing a budgie?

To subscribe or unsubscribe via email, send an email with just "join" or "leave" in the subject or body to: <ctbirds-request...>

Back to top
Date: 7/24/24 4:27 pm
From: John D Babington via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Bird nesting boxes and Black Bears
I noted today that several of the bird nesting boxes I have in a large field below the house here have taken a beating. I suspect my local Black Bears are the cause. Any suggestions on how to discourage Black Bears from damaging bird nesting boxes?
David W BabingtonWashingtoon, CT

Date: 7/23/24 6:29 am
From: Frank Mantlik via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Milford Point Purple Martins
Hi all,
I’d like to share a brief report on the Purple Martin nesting colony at CT Audubon's Milford Coastal Center this year. We have had way more nests and chicks this year than the past 3+ years. There were 48 active nests (of the 71 available gourds), and a max of about 220 eggs. (Compared to 25 active nests and 125 eggs last year). Most of those eggs hatched, and most of the nestlings have fledged or will be fledging soon. You will undoubtedly see the fledglings perched and begging from parents in dead trees at the Center as well as surrounding areas.
Thanks much to our fabulous team of staff and volunteers, who have been working weekly to install and then monitor the colony. Thanks too to the many who adopted gourds with a financial contribution, to help fund our efforts to operate one of the largest Purple Martin colonies in the state.
To view some photos, please go to my Flickr photo site: https://flickr.com/photos/avocetfm/

Frank Mantlik
Coastal Center Board Member
Purple Martin Team Captain

Sent from my iPhone

Date: 7/23/24 5:58 am
From: Rick Kenneally via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Nesting action
It’s been a good season for some of our local avian parents. We’ve recently
seen two nests fledge on our property. There have been others, but two
we’ve followed closely: Carolina Wrens and Eastern Phoebes.

We don’t know where the two Carolina Wren chicks were raised – which house
or tree. The parents are long-time residents that have long plucked bugs
off our house and windows, and one night even burst out of the wreath on
our front door and into our house. The two chicks showed up a couple weeks
ago - soon after fledging. The parents roosted and fed their new
fledglings several evenings in our hanging flower baskets, which was almost
terminally cute. The Wren family has stayed around the house, and I just
saw one parent and two fully grown young yesterday evening - they've
learned to scold me and my dog in unison.

The Eastern Phoebes nested on one of our nesting shelves, as they do every
year. We watched their progress closely, as their nest was right under my
home office window. Their first nest produced two fledglings, but the
parents returned to re-use the same nest too quickly, so disaster must have
struck. The second attempt produced 4 eggs, surprisingly no Cowbird egg,
and all 4 hatched. We watched the parents work like crazy to keep them all
fed, and all four fledged on the same day. Unlike the Wrens, the Phoebe
family vanished after that first day. After a couple weeks, the male has
returned to sing in the morning and sometimes roost overnight around our
house, but Mom and the kids have not been seen since.

I’m hopeful that at least some of the young Phoebes have made it to
adulthood, and that Mom is still teaching the finer points of bug cuisine.
And I hope the parents return to try again this season.

Rick Kenneally
Wilton, CT

Date: 7/22/24 1:33 pm
From: Brendan Murtha via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Norwalk CASPIAN TERN
Just had a CASPIAN TERN flying along the Norwalk River, viewed from the Norwalk River Esplanade but probably best seen from the observation deck across the way, by the aquarium. It circled and went back upriver around the bend.

Brendan Murtha
Norwalk

Sent from my iPhone

Date: 7/21/24 7:43 am
From: Ernest Harris via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] From the deck
Colchester Deck- 6-7AM 18 species including: Louisiana Water Thrush ( also here 7/19) and Rose-breasted Grosbeak ( adult male feeding fledgling). Ernie Harris, Colchester

Date: 7/18/24 7:14 pm
From: Steve Mayo via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] New London to Orient Point Ferry 7/18
I took the 2 pm New London to Orient Point Ferry and immediately returned.
Nothing remarkable in CT waters. Cory's Shearwater (1) and Great
Shearwater (2) continue on the NY side. They were seen in a tern and
fishing boat frenzy in Plum Gut.

Steve Mayo
Bethany

Date: 7/18/24 5:47 pm
From: Stefan Martin via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Birdcraft temporarily closed
Hey, all. Unfortunately, Birdcraft had some storm damage yesterday evening
and we had to close the sanctuary until we can clean up the hazards. I will
send an update when we are reopened.

Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience! Thankfully it’s not September yet.

Best,

Stefan Martin
Conservation Manager, CT Audubon Society

Date: 7/15/24 3:24 am
From: Mark Szantyr via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Re: FYI re: Whistling Ducks
Ask her for proof.
Mark Szantyr
Storrs, CT

Date: 7/14/24 10:47 pm
From: Tom de Boor via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
If I see her there again, I will. Or ask anyone else I see. On Friday, I
was talking with a guy from the neighborhood whose dad, he said, was an
avid birder and bird photographer who had just passed away earlier this
month. If I see him again, I'll ask whether it's possible his dad might
have photographed them.

But since I don't know when I'll get back down there, maybe if others
watching the ducks see any folks from the neighborhood, you'all might ask
them about it, too. Everybody I've talked to has been friendly, interested
and, when I told them where they normally live, astonished and proud.

Tom de Boor
Northford, CT

Date: 7/14/24 12:10 pm
From: Beverly Propen via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Crosby Pond & Orange backyard
7/14 Orange, Crosby Pond, (2:40PM)
At a brief visit to Crosby Pond I saw 5 American black ducks and a family
of Wood ducks- 1 hen and 7 juveniles, 1 Belted Kingfisher and 1 Catbird.
In my yard, I have had a family of Baltimore Orioles (male, female & 2
juveniles now), a family of Red bellied woodpeckers, family of catbirds,
families of Grackles, starlings, cardinals and Blue jays.
The jelly feeder is very popular.
Bev Propen, Orange

Date: 7/14/24 11:43 am
From: Alec Wiggin via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Male Baltimore Oriole
New visitor. Beautiful bird.

Alec Wiggin
Darien
Sent from my iPad

Date: 7/12/24 9:35 am
From: MICKY KOMARA via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Whistling ducks
Looking at them now in a drizzle, but city is back hoeing out the
vegetation growing on the pond banks. The ducks are looking skittish
from the commotion.

M Komara

West Haven I think.

Date: 7/12/24 3:57 am
From: jaybrd49--- via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Re: Give Gallinules a break
And, to add my curmudgonly two cents, there is no reason for anyone to go into the water. Stay at the edge and wait for the birds to come out of the reeds. Also, there is absolutely no reason for anyone to back to the area multiple times!  One look, even without a great photo, should be enough. If we don't drive them off, maybe these gallinules will return next year?
On Thursday, July 11, 2024 at 08:43:04 PM EDT, Mark Szantyr via CTBirds <ctbirds...> wrote:

Well put Greg  Its about time someone stood up for the birds.
Mark Szantyr
Storrs, CT

Date: 7/11/24 5:43 pm
From: Mark Szantyr via CTBirds <ctbirds...>

Date: 7/11/24 4:40 am
From: richard sharon via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Veeries
I’ve read that veeries are very good predictors of the hurricane season and that they will leave their nesting grounds early, sometimes even abandoning nestlings if the hurricane season is going to arrive early or be particularly intense. Hurricane Beryl was the earliest Cat5 in history. Maybe these little birds know something we don’t.

Richard Sharon
East Hartford
Ps…sorry about your insomnia Paul.
Sent from my iPhone

Date: 7/10/24 2:34 pm
From: MICKY KOMARA via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] 80 dowitchers in Hammo Boulder Pond
M Komara

Date: 7/10/24 11:12 am
From: Chuck Imbergamo via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] West Haven BLACK-BELLIED WHISTLING DUCKS
This just came through the Connecticut Audubon Rare Bird Alert:

3 BLACK-BELLIED WHISTLING-DUCKS at a small pond at the intersection of Ocean Ave and Lake St. in WEST HAVEN. Parking limited due to beach season

Chuck Imbergamo
CT Birds Moderator
Madison

Date: 7/10/24 9:00 am
From: Paul Desjardins via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Oops

Paul Desjardins
<paul.desjardins2...>
Phone: (860) 623-3696

Meant to spell Veeries.

Paul Desjardins
Windsor Locks

Date: 7/10/24 3:37 am
From: Paul Desjardins via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Verries

Paul Desjardins
<paul.desjardins2...>
Phone: (860) 623-3696

Unfortunately I always wake up in the middle of the night and with that being said I woke up around 1:29 this morning and I heard what sounded like 2 migrating Verries! I know this sounds extremely early for them to be migrating but I am familiar with their calls. Crazy!

Paul Desjardins
Windsor Locks

Date: 7/9/24 9:27 am
From: Sean Williams via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Stilt Sandpiper at Harkness Park, Waterford
Seen on Goshen cove mudflats in front of bridge and just north of Osprey platform. Took off to back mudflats and landed behind wooden bridge, but still around. Also a Forsters tern was roosting with 3 commons on mudflats.
Sent from my iPhone

Date: 7/8/24 7:57 am
From: Chuck Imbergamo via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Hammo Roseate Terns
Matt Male called to report that there are several Roseate Tern fledglings at the tip of the Meig’s Point jetty at Hammonasset Beach State Park in Madison.

Some of the fledglings are banded and Matt is hoping that someone might be able to read the bands to help with the studies being done at Great Gull Island.

If you are able to discern the band information, please reply to me and I will forward it on to Matt.

Chuck Imbergamo
CT Birds Moderator
Madison

Date: 7/8/24 6:42 am
From: Celeste Echlin via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Common Gallinule still in Marsh, Farmington
Parking at 12 Deborah Ln (cul de sac), Farmington. Trails straight from parking towards marsh. Get to grassy edge with good views across marsh and wait. 2 Gallinule were on the left, coming out of cattails, only for a few minutes. We heard them first. Will post to eBird later with photos.

Celeste Echlin and Sam Walker

Harwinton, CT

Date: 7/5/24 9:32 am
From: Sean Williams via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Whimbrel at Harkness Park, Waterford
There was a Whimbrel at Harkness in Goshen cove mudflats just behind the large wooden bridge. Unfortunately I have terrible cell service and tried sending this an hour ago and I’m not in the area anymore. But either way good to keep an eye out.

Sean Williams
East Lyme

Sent from my iPhone

Date: 7/2/24 3:12 pm
From: SARAH FAULKNER via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Re: Baby bluejaya
Hi Stacey,

They are very likely fledglings, out of the nest and being fed by parents while they learn to fly and their longer feathers grow in. There is usually about a week of this awkward and vulnerable stage for fledglings, but they are not lost or abandoned, and they didn't just fall out of the nest -- it's part of the fledging process. Don't touch them and don't call attention to them. Their parents will take care of them.

Sarah Faulkner
Collinsville

Date: 7/2/24 1:28 pm
From: Nichols Photography via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Leave them. They are recently fledged. The parents will watch out and take care of them. Thank you for caring!

Monica nichols
Madison
Sent from my iPhone

Date: 7/2/24 7:38 am
From: James Nordgren via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Re: CTBirds Digest, Vol 6263, Issue 1
A huge number of chimney swifts returning to one old factory chimney on Indian Neck Ave in Branford right at dusk last night, tried to count—seemed like 10 swifts per second--and it went on for at least 15 minutes until no more could fit in, quite a spectacle and a nice place by the brewery to do some evening bird watching.
Jim Nordgren, Madison, CT

Date: 7/1/24 4:40 pm
From: ed bailey via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Thrush song
Tonight in Monroe started with 2 wood thrushes been around for a couple of weeks, followed by a hermit thrush first here in a while followed by a veery been around for 2,3 days. Much nicer than young ravens crying for food or house finches emptying my feeders and mocking me.Ed bailey Monroe

Date: 7/1/24 3:30 pm
From: semeon tsalbins via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] oyster catchers
3 Oyster Catchers in the channel just east of Chafinch Island Park in Guilford. (About 30 feet off shore) (also two mid air Great egrets)

semeon tsalbins
woodbridge

Date: 7/1/24 8:01 am
From: imbercj--- via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] July Welcome
Greetings CT Birders and welcome to July. Most birders consider this time of year 'the doldrums', but you never know what you will find if you go summer birding. The Franklin's Gull was still around a couple of days ago and that Flamingo is still being seen on Long Island!

In addition, many feeders are being visited by young birds born within the last few weeks - a lot of fun to watch!

Our CT Birds posting guidelines are below.

*Please sign your posts with your first and last name and your town!*

Thank you and Good Birding,

Chuck Imbergamo
CT Birds Moderator
Madison

CT Birds guidelines:

This list is for sharing information about birds and birding in Connecticut.

When reporting birds, please include the town where seen.

*** Always include your first and last name and your town when posting. ***

Some birds should not be posted for the good of the bird. Examples are directions to accessible bird nests and any day-roosting owls - Screech, Great Horned, Barred, Barn, Long-eared and Saw-whet.

Proper language is expected, personal disagreements should be handled off-line and disruptive posts will not be tolerated.

Did you know?
• Attachments such as photos are not supported by the software.
• Prompt reporting of 'good' birds is appreciated by many in the birding community!
• When you want to post a reply to the list using email, use 'Reply to All'. <— *please reply to all only when your reply benefits most of the list!*
• When you want to reply only to the person who posted using email, use 'Reply'.
• You can automatically include your name and town with your email settings. Contact me if you need help setting this up.

If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know!

Date: 6/30/24 5:30 pm
From: Angela Dimmitt via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Worm-eating Warbler and Acadian Flycatcher in my Garden
A worm-eating warbler graced my garden this morning - not what I would consider appropriate territory so wonder what it was doing.  Its feathers were all clean and fresh - surely not a young one already, an adult in early migration?  Could it have been one still moving around looking for a mate?  There is suitable habitat nearby and years ago I saw one feeding a cowbird, so presumably they had nested here then.  I had heard without listening a very dry trilling a couple of times recently, but assumed it was the resident chipping sparrows.
There has also been an Acadian Flycatcher in the garden for a couple of weeks now - unmistakable call.  Again, not totally suitable habitat, but who knows with this less-common bird.  No sign of a mate.
Meanwhile, hordes of just-fledged house finches and noisy titmice; and my bluebirds finally fledged their possibly single young.  On June 27, I recorded 39 species in my garden and flying over, a rather surprising total!
Angela Dimmitt
New Milford

Date: 6/30/24 3:40 pm
From: Beverly Propen via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Orange Backyard
6/30 Orange backyard
My jelly feeder is very popular- all different flavors- Catbirds with their
young, Baltimore orioles with 2 juveniles, Mockingbird with a juvenile ,
and a squirrel which somehow manages to climb above the baffle and enjoys
the jelly-.
My thistle feeder has about 6 Goldfinches but now the House sparrows have
decided that they like the thistle.
The Red bellied woodpeckers have juveniles, as well as the Grackles,
Cowbirds, Starlings, Song sparrow, a chipping sparrow on occasion,
Cardinals, Blue jays, House finches and
Downies & a Hairy Woodpecker.
As an aside....My daughter gave me Amy Tan's newest book *Backyard Bird
Chronicles* . Reading it is like chatting with one of your birding
buddies- it's a light, easy read and her illustrations are beautiful.
Bev Propen, Orange

Date: 6/28/24 10:05 am
From: Frank Mantlik via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Feeding Frenzy Housatonic River mouth.
6/28. Stratford, Short Beach.

I just completed a delightful wade out to the Housatonic River tidal flats off Short Beach, Stratford. Amazing concentration of birds feeding on presumed large numbers of Sand Lance fish & other prey. Conservative estimate of 600 Laughing, 500 Herring, 300 Ring-billed, 30 Great Black-backed Gulls, 130 DC Cormarants, 25 Great Egrets, 12 Snowy Egrets. I could pick out no rarities this day, but will continue to search. Best weather day of the summer!

Frank Mantlik
Stratford

Sent from my iPhone

Date: 6/28/24 9:21 am
From: Ellynne Rey via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Mohawk Mountain
Dear CT Birding Community,

I have never birded Mohawk before. Last year I ended up on some rugged red
dirt trails that led nowhere and I think I was in the wrong place (gps
seemed to think that was the location but it did not seem right). It was a
bit of a wild goose chase and I believe I was not in the right location. I
have a few days off in July and can’t travel too far and would like to see
warblers and raptors and whatever else the area has to offer. If anyone is
familiar with the good spots to go birding at Mohawk and would like to go
on an excursion, please contact me via my email. Thanks!

Ellynne
(Stamford)

Date: 6/28/24 7:16 am
From: Dan Rottino via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Franklin’s Gull continues
Fairfield, Penfield Reef, the FRANKLIN’S GULL is continuing on the sandbars and mudflats just to the left side of the beach area as you enter from Lighthouse Pt.
Dan, Trudy, and Danny Rottino
East Haddam, CT

Date: 6/27/24 7:01 am
From: W RUPP via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Re: interesting woodpecker behavior in New Britain, Bob Jase
In the last hour at the hummingbird feeder we have had 5 visits by female type hummers, 1 visit by a male and 1 visit by a downie (as well as a U display by a male RTHB in front of a female in a shrub).  Although downies are daily visitors at our 2 hummingbird feeders, we have only over several years seen 1 visit by a downie to a birdbath less than 2 feet from one of the hummingbird feeders.  We have never seen a visit to either the feeders or the birdbath by our resident red-bellies and hairy woodpeckers.
Maryanne and Dean RuppKillingworth
On Wednesday, June 26, 2024 at 01:45:26 PM EDT, Audrey Staropoli via CTBirds <ctbirds...> wrote:

My backyard downies are fiends for that nectar. I have yet to see a
hummingbird visit my feeders this season, but at least it is not going to
waste.  They’ve been doing this for as long as I’ve been putting out the
hummingbird feeder. The red bellied woodies in my yard haven’t figured it
out yet.

Last year when the hummingbird finally arrived she had to chase the downies
off.

Date: 6/26/24 10:46 am
From: Audrey Staropoli via CTBirds <ctbirds...>

Date: 6/26/24 10:38 am
From: Angela Dimmitt via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] LHAS Talk - Nick Bonomo on Shorebirds
At Litchfield Hills Audubon's monthly meeting July 1, the speaker will be Nick Bonomo, one of Connecticut's leading birders.  Nick will talk about An Introduction to Shorebirds, their Migration and Identification.  The meeting starts at 6:45 pm, at the Litchfield Community Center, 421 Bantam Road (Rte.202), Litchfield.  Free and open to the public.  The talk will also be on Zoom.  To register for Zoom, go the the Calendar section of the website, lhasct.org, before 5 pm on June 30.  You will be sent the login link.
Angela Dimmitt
New Milford

Date: 6/26/24 6:58 am
From: Kathy Van Der Aue via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
I have noticed this behavior with young Downies especially. They have real
sweet beaks!

Kathy Van Der Aue
Southport, CT

Date: 6/26/24 5:40 am