Date: 5/3/24 3:43 pm
From: Steve Jones <sjlarue1...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Lawrence Woods SNP (Hardin County) HERE WE GO!
Greetings!

The last few days of April were a slow increase of species. The last day of
April I had 54 species...about 30 more than at the beginning of the month.
For the month, I saw 83 species in Lawrence Woods alone...but it took all
month. :-) For the month I had 98 species but that was thanks to visits to
Andreoff Wildlife Area (Formerly Hardin County Wetlands) and France Lake
(aka Saulisberry Park) and a couple of roadside observations

Almost overnight, it seemed that most of Southern Ohio dumped into Lawrence
Woods. :-D It went from 54 species to 76! Due to the early spring, it was
mostly birding by ear, because all of the smaller migrants were high up in
the trees, but occasionally I could get great views of Warbler butts..This
made it very difficult to figure out my new camera body:-D I've gone to a
Nikon Z8 and it is definitely a challenge.

Some other observations
This year there are FOUR singing male Prothonotary Warblers in the pond
area...hope there will be enough females to go around, or things are going
to go crazy! :-D
Today I counted 3 Northern Waterthrushes...they seem to be spread out all
of the wet swampy areas.
I think a pair of Mergansers might nest there this year...I saw a female
hanging around the pond for most of the day.

It looks like it is going to be another great birdy year...hopefully I will
at least get close to meeting last year's Species count for Hardin
County...I only need 24, but that is going to be difficult with my
schedule..

Here is today's trip report. I went around the loop twice hence the amount
of time reported. all but four of the species were found on the first lap.

Have a blessed and birdy spring!

Steve Jones
(aka sjlarue)
https://ebird.org/checklist/S171682504
Lawrence Woods State Nature Preserve--Woods Boardwalk, Hardin, Ohio, US
May 3, 2024 7:12 AM - 10:51 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.33 mile(s)
74 species

Canada Goose 10
Wood Duck 2
Hooded Merganser 1
Mourning Dove 1
Chimney Swift 2
Killdeer 1
Green Heron 1
Great Blue Heron 1
Turkey Vulture 4
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Barred Owl 1
Red-headed Woodpecker 2
Red-bellied Woodpecker 4
Downy Woodpecker 2
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 2
Eastern Wood-Pewee 2
Least Flycatcher 1
Eastern Phoebe 2
Great Crested Flycatcher 2
Yellow-throated Vireo 1
Blue-headed Vireo 1
Red-eyed Vireo 1
Blue Jay 4
American Crow 3
Carolina Chickadee 3
Tufted Titmouse 10
Purple Martin 2
White-breasted Nuthatch 8
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 9
House Wren 9
Carolina Wren 1
European Starling 5
Gray Catbird 6
Brown Thrasher 2
Veery 1
Swainson's Thrush 2
Hermit Thrush 1
Wood Thrush 4
American Robin 2
American Goldfinch 10
Field Sparrow 5
White-throated Sparrow 5
Song Sparrow 3
Lincoln's Sparrow 1
Eastern Towhee 6
Yellow-breasted Chat 1
Eastern Meadowlark 1
Baltimore Oriole 1
Red-winged Blackbird 2
Brown-headed Cowbird 3
Common Grackle 2
Ovenbird 4
Northern Waterthrush 3
Black-and-white Warbler 1
Prothonotary Warbler 3
Tennessee Warbler 2
Nashville Warbler 2
Common Yellowthroat 2
Hooded Warbler 1
American Redstart 1
Cape May Warbler 1
Northern Parula 2
Magnolia Warbler 2
Blackburnian Warbler 1
Yellow Warbler 3
Chestnut-sided Warbler 3
Blackpoll Warbler 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler 3
Black-throated Green Warbler 5
Scarlet Tanager 5
Northern Cardinal 6
Indigo Bunting 4

<#m_-2314295817167610712_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>