Date: 5/3/24 2:03 pm
From: Dennis Paulson via Tweeters <tweeters...>
Subject: Re: [Tweeters] Use of Merlin app
Stephen, thanks much for your great discussion of this topic. That’s pretty much how i see Merlin Sound ID. I think it can be very helpful in learning songs, and I hope few if any people are using it as a substitute for that.

But that makes me think about the new binoculars that are claimed to identify every bird for you—not that most of us can afford them. Will no one who has such binocs ever look in a field guide again, searching for that unknown bird and learning a lot as they search? AI is such a mixed blessing.

Dennis Paulson
Seattle