Date: 5/2/24 9:03 am
From: Steve Long <steve.long4...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] N Bobwhite, P.G. Co
Gail,

Thanks for the interesting population info.

Yes, part of the population loss does not seem likely to be explained by
the parameters we are considering.  That is why I am wondering if some
change in chemicals used in farming could play a role.  But, that is
pure speculation on my part.

As for feral cats preventing any repopulation, I can only note that the
area where I am living has a pretty sizeable population of cats, both
free-roaming pets and live-in-the-wild.  I suspect that is maintained by
people who "drop off unwanted pets in the country".  My mother used to
have one or two show up at this house, and she would promptly adopt
them.  Others that I see occasionally are shy of humans, and probably
subsist entirely by hunting.  A local farmer used to have a colony in
his barn, plus one special one that rode around in his tractor and liked
to eat raw corn off the cob.  My mother once took a stray over to that
farmer, and he kept it in his barn for a few days to acclimate, then let
it loose.  It promptly disappeared, and showed up at this house 2 days
later, about 1-2 miles distant (and my mother just adopted it, after
that).  So, my impression is that we have plenty of cats within the
range of habitat where I am still hearing quail calling.

Regarding farm fields that are left fallow being overgrown by wild pear
trees: Yes, that is a big issue around here.  It is being addressed by
land management that recovers fields by brush-hogging and then maintains
them with very infrequent mowing and/or controlled burning.  So, that
definitely does enhance the habitat suitability for quail around here.
The owner is doing that specifically to enhance the habitat, and also
releases game birds for hunting, which he leases the rights to do.  So,
it is mixed bag of + and -.

Steve Long, Oxford