Date: 5/2/24 7:18 am
From: Steve Long <steve.long4...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] N Bobwhite, P.G. Co
When I was a kid (VERY long ago), quail were common in that area, as
indicated by hearing their calls.

I am not sure exactly why they vanished.  Obviously, the habitat was
drastically changed by subdivision housing and other construction. And
the introduction of dogs and cats in large numbers were predators, as
well as the large amount of automobile traffic. Also, farming introduced
a lot of chemicals during that time period.

Even where I live now, quail are not very common, although I do hear
their calls daily and have sometimes seen individuals and occasionally
coveys.  They do get introduced here for hunting purposes, so there is
still some pressure from that, but a lot of the farmland has been taken
out of production and allowed to go wild.  It is not certain if the
natural population around here was ever completely destroyed, so it is
not clear whether the current population is totally reliant on
introductions, or would be self sustaining without hunting pressure.

In contrast, turkeys and pheasants are also released around here, and
the pheasants do not last long.  But the turnkeys have succeeded in
reproducing a self-sustaining population, even with hunting.  I see
flocks with young every year.

So, with Rock Creek and some open space around the College Park area, I
am wondering if some self-sustaining repopulation of quail is possible,
there, now.

Steve Long, Oxford