Date: 5/1/24 3:35 pm
From: Barry Haas <bhaas...>
Subject: Please Help Us Recruit Current 5th & 6th Grade Nature Loving Boys and Girls for Audubon Camp
Dear ARBIRDers,

Do you wish back when you were finishing up the 5th or 6th grade you were offered an opportunity to attend a hands-on nature camp to study birds, rocks, trees, aquatic biology, mammals, insects, herps and more? It may be too late for you to do so, but we need you to help us recruit current 5th and 6th grade boys and girls who can’t get enough of nature.

The Halberg Ecology Camp hosted by the Arkansas Audubon Society is recruiting 5th and 6th grade boys and girls for this June’s camp sessions. The Arkansas Audubon Society website has a lot of good information about the ecology camp including application and teacher recommendation forms:

https://arbirds.org/EcologyCamp/

This is a hands-on overnight camp that runs from Sunday afternoon when campers arrive until Friday morning when they depart after the closing ceremony. At the Camp Photos link you will find slideshows during camp in 2019. If you look at one "Pass It On Down" and one “Review" slideshow each, they will give you a good sense what takes place at camp.

First-year campers get a taste of seven disciplines- ornithology, geology, aquatic biology, entomology, mammalogy, herpetology and botany. They experience each class twice. Two instructors work together as a team with a group of about 8 youth so it is a very intense learning experience. Once field study is over each day campers have recreational opportunities like swimming, canoeing, volleyball, etc.

We pride ourselves on serving tasty, nutritious food prepared on site by the kitchen staff. We have a full time registered nurse on site at all times to ensure any medical needs can be seen to.

We rent the entire Camp Clearfork facility from the U.S. Forest Service, and while we are there for two weeks no outsiders are allowed on the premises for security reasons. Camp Clearfork is about 20 miles west of Hot Springs on Highway 270.

Tuition is $400 for first-year campers. If camper families can’t afford the full tuition, we have some tuition assistance and scholarship funds available for those who can show financial need. We want all youth to have a chance to experience nature hands-on, not just those whose families can independently afford to do so.

Attached is the 2024 camp flyer. Please share this application form with family and friends who may have a child or grandchild who just can’t get enough of nature, and who wants to learn more about nature's wonders.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Please help us recruit campers. They can download the application form, teacher recommendation form and tuition assistance form online from the website at the link above. Families can also pay tuition online once their child or grandchild has been accepted to camp.

Barry Haas
Halberg Ecology Camp Treasurer

or click the following link: