Date: 5/1/24 2:58 pm
From: Harriet Jansma <hjansma...>
Subject: Carolina Wren, part II
The Wren pair that were nesting in our flower pot nest on the chimney fledged their brood while we were looking the other way. We were sad to miss the show. Previous broods that have left that nest start their flights on our stone patio floor, then "fly" up to a chair seat, then to a chair arm, then to the table top, with the parent birds chatting frantically all the while. The scene makes life worth living.

A second pair, or perhaps the same pair, are now feeding young at the top of our main step ladder in the garage. We can afford to share the ladder, since at this little town farm we have eleven of them! (different types for various purposes).

Northern Cardinals have established a nest on the sloping stone wall behind our house (as close by as the chimney nest), in the debris under winter jasmine branches. They likely think they're hidden, but not all that well. But it would be hard for a cat to reach them. We're hoping for the best.

Harriet Jansma
Fayetteville

or click the following link: