Date: 4/28/24 10:57 am
From: eBird alert via groups.io <alert.ebird...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] [eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

- Northern Pintail (2 reports)
- Laysan Albatross (1 report)
- Hawaiian Petrel (1 report)
- Hammond's Flycatcher (1 report)
- Tropical Kingbird (2 reports)
- Orchard Oriole (2 reports)

Northern Pintail (Anas acuta) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Apr 27, 2024 09:15 by Steven Gaulin
- Carpinteria Salt Marsh Reserve (restricted access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.5353699&<ll...>,-119.5353699
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Long-necked Anas-type duck with finely barred gray flanks, brown head, white neck stripes extending into the brown, elongated, black back feathers boldly edged white. Elongated central tail feathers. Bill blue and black."

Northern Pintail (Anas acuta) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Apr 27, 2024 09:15 by Aden Lounds
- Carpinteria Salt Marsh Reserve (restricted access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.5353699&<ll...>,-119.5353699
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Long-necked Anas-type duck with finely barred gray flanks, brown head, white neck stripes extending into the brown, elongated, black back feathers boldly edged white. Elongated central tail feathers. Bill blue and black."

Laysan Albatross (Phoebastria immutabilis) (1)
- Reported Apr 24, 2024 07:06 by Chris Taylor
- Day 2 Nieuw Amsterdam SAN to VCV 01, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-121.292&<ll...>,-121.292
- Comments: "Unmistakable very large bird in comparison to ubiquitous Sooty Shearwater. Very long, narrow wings, dark brown back, with white rump and white head."

Hawaiian Petrel (Pterodroma sandwichensis) (1)
- Reported Apr 24, 2024 07:06 by Chris Taylor
- Day 2 Nieuw Amsterdam SAN to VCV 01, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-121.292&<ll...>,-121.292
- Comments: "Day 2 of the cruise, this species a single bird associating with Sooty Shearwater. Bird was not engaging in arcing flight for the brief time I was on it. Deep black back stood out against bright white underside. Long wings, short bill. No photo."

Hammond's Flycatcher (Empidonax hammondii) (1)
- Reported Apr 28, 2024 07:12 by David Compton
- Ridge above Refugio West Fork, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-120.072303&<ll...>,-120.072303
- Comments: "Dumpy empid, dull colored overall, with long wings compared to tail length. Two white wing bars, obvious round eye ring, small dark bill. Silent."

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1)
- Reported Apr 27, 2024 08:30 by Lynn Scarlett
- Lake Los Carneros Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.84975&<ll...>,-119.84975
- Comments: "continuing--heard first, then saw; yellow chest (not gray like Cassin's"

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1)
- Reported Apr 27, 2024 07:30 by Barry Rowan
- Lake Los Carneros Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.84975&<ll...>,-119.84975
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing at SW corner of lake. Large-billed kingbird with notched tail."

Orchard Oriole (Icterus spurius) (1)
- Reported Apr 24, 2024 15:31 by Tracy Drake
- UCSB--Campus Lagoon, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.845165&<ll...>,-119.845165
- Media: 1 Audio
- Comments: "I saw this bird blow by me in the wind and dive into the trees across the grass from the Marine Lab. I could not spot it to make a photo so, in the wind, I recorded it. It is a poor recording but does seem to be a song of an Orchard."

Orchard Oriole (Icterus spurius) (4)
- Reported Apr 27, 2024 16:42 by Susanne Meyer
- UCSB--campus, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.8450041&<ll...>,-119.8450041
- Media: 9 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing near chancellor’s house . 2 Immature males and 2 females. Photos."

View/Reply Online (#37263): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/37263
Updated status and distribution of Santa Barbara County birds: http://www.sbcobirding.com/lehmanbosbc.html
For guides to birding eBird Hotspots in SB, see https://birdinghotspots.org/us/california/santa-barbara-county
-=-=-