Date: 4/26/24 4:55 pm
From: Jared Del Rosso <jared.delrosso...>
Subject: [cobirds] Re: THE LONESOME WHIP-POOR-WILL: THE UNTOLD STORY OF AMERICA'S MOST ICONIC BIRD
Just a little plug -- I'm super excited to share this work with the Denver
birding community! If you're able to attend, you'll see a few remarkable
videos and photos of Eastern Whip-poor-wills and Common Poorwills, which
biologists who work with these species were generous enough to permit me to
use. I'll also describe Whip-poor-wills in 5 words (kinda sorta), two of
which are rarer things than spotting a Whip-poor-will. And I'll share with
you some of the lore surrounding the year's first Whip-poor-will and some
of the early accounts (from the 1950s) of people documenting the species'
decline.

The presentation is well-timed, too! Poorwill are returning to the Denver
metro area (and there are already reports of them). So you can go out the
next morning or evening and try to hear your own first-of-the-year nightjar.

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO

On Thursday, April 25, 2024 at 11:24:06 AM UTC-6 <2mi......> wrote:

> DFO's monthly program for April — Monday, April 29, 7 p.m. MDT. Register
> <https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_SyXi3ZaOSVOibmaCi5RUXw#/registration>
> for the webinar.
>
> DFO member Jared Del Rosso will explore the largely untold story of the
> Whip-poor-will, an almost mystical icon of early American culture. The
> species figured prominently in the seasonal lives of a largely still
> agrarian-oriented land. American musicians, poets and writers made the
> Whip-poor-will a legend. Country singers transformed the birds into icons
> of lonesomeness and rural life. Poets and nature writers wondered about the
> species’ strange, menacing name. Horror writers spun Whip-poor-wills into
> the stuff of nightmares.
>
> But today, they’re on the brink of forgotten. Since the 1970s, Eastern
> Whip-poor-will numbers have fallen by more than two-thirds.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/<1a1a7374-fb2f-4e57-abbc-cc8e3b2e5ea2n...>

Join us on Facebook!