Date: 4/26/24 8:13 am
From: Charles Anderson <oborocks0...>
Subject: Re: FOS Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Such a time of beauty and hope.

We've had a couple of weeks of warblers and now are in the high season of
Rose Breasted Grosbeaks (5+ males and 6+ females this morning) and
Baltimore Orioles (6 males and several females/juveniles early this
morning). Our warblers have included a Golden Wing, a Blue Wing,
Black-throated Green, Tennessee by the dozens, Nashville by the
half-dozens, Yellow Rump, Black and White. We've had Summer Tanagers, red
male and molting male, like a candle lighting up the woods. One Orchard
Oriole. Cat Birds, lots of White-throated Sparrows still.

Our Wood Thrush showed up in excellent voice, as did our Swainson's Thrush.
Indigo Buntings came for a feast of suet and have stayed for the summer, we
hope. Not to mention the usual suspects--Cardinals, Blue Jays, White
Breasted Nuthatches, Carolina Wrens, House Finches, American Goldfinches,
Carolina Chickadees, Tufted Titmice, and the ever, ever, ever, incessantly
looking for love Brown Thrasher. And also all the woodpeckers.

I call it a time of beauty and hope because no matter how grey it all
seems, flashes of red, white, black, yellow, orange light up even the
darkest days, offering gifts of wonder and amazement, free for the taking
and, to riff on Norman Maclean, the hope that another bright messenger
might rise to the feeders or hover over the fountain to take one more fly,
to give one more glimpse before moving on to bigger waters and Northern
nesting grounds.

And, of course, surprise: a Scarlet Tanager just this minute appeared and
stayed just long enough for a dip, a preen, and a quick pose for the scope.

Ain't migration grand?

Chuck and Ruth Anderson
from the Woods at Western Hills
Little Rock

On Fri, Apr 26, 2024 at 9:21 AM Amy Hall <
<00000141e1151b9c-dmarc-request...> wrote:

> We have been on the look-out here in Cabot, and a male Rose-breasted
> Grosbeak arrived this morning. Two White-crowned Sparrows are also present
> as well as three Indigo Buntings--two males and one female.
>
> Amy Hall

or click the following link: