Date: 4/25/24 8:51 pm
From: lc boros via groups.io <stega...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Run for the Hills! Birdathon Team - Woods Rd
Yes…Yes…join a team!

Consider joining my team which is this Sunday!

This is the one time of year our ranch in the East SJ Foothills is open to the public and best of all it happens during nesting season. Not only can you can see and hear the results of our efforts restoring native habitat to encourage over 50 bird species to live just outside our doors, but all the birds are putting on their best feathers and providing a lot of entertainment. There’s plenty to see near the house: from the Red-Tails hunting down in the South Pasture while the Cooper’s Hawk terrorize the north garden where the freshly returned Orioles are refueling all while the Swallows, Blackbirds and Goldfinches (including Lawrence’s!) sing out by the garden shed, plus short hikes can be taken to see our dozen or so already active nest boxes all while taken in the 270 degree view of all of Santa Clara Valley.

Plus there’s tasty food provided — usually from Sushi Arashi.

Consider joining for no other reason than I’m risking the wrath of the list admins by posting this…..I’m posting because currently there are only a few signups: https://scvas.org/spring-birdathon-2024-teams#purgatory

Send me a note privately if you want more details.

/stega

————
LC Boros (stega)
Voice Actor and Ranch Manager @ Purgatory Auto Works and Dinosaur Farm
stega.org / purgatory.org / boros.net / networkgirl.org
IG: @the.stega / Ranch: 408-270-6230 / Cell: 408-396-8658

> On Apr 24, 2024, at 3:09 PM, Eve Meier <eve.m.meier...> wrote:
>
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Today, Edward Rooks and I led a non-traditional birdathon team "Run for the Hills". Instead of trying to find the most birds possible, we birded Woods Rd in Almaden Quicksilver hoping for Black-throated Gray Warblers. Our favorite bird of the day ended up being a Pileated Woodpecker near the parking lot. We could hear him hammering on a tree a little ways off and, at one point, the bird flew over our heads. Orange-crowned Warblers and Hutton's Vireos were calling all along the trail. We had at least 4 Blue-gray Gnatcatchers as well. As far as the Black-throated Gray Warblers, we heard many but we're only able to get our eyes on one or two. Here's our complete checklist: https://ebird.org/checklist/S170135806
>
> So far this team has raised a little over $600 to support the SCVAS education and conservation programs. There are 5 more teams you can sign up for. See the list below and visit: https://scvas.org/birdathon to learn more about this fundraiser.
> FLEDGLINGS <https://scvas.org/spring-birdathon-2024-teams#fledglings>: SATURDAY, APRIL 27
> LOONG <https://scvas.org/spring-birdathon-2024-teams#loong>: SUNDAY, APRIL 28
> PURGATORIAL BIRDS AND LUNCH <https://scvas.org/spring-birdathon-2024-teams#purgatory>: SUNDAY, APRIL 28
> WINGING IT <https://scvas.org/spring-birdathon-2024-teams#wingingit>: THURSDAY, MAY 2
> SUBSPECIES <https://scvas.org/spring-birdathon-2024-teams#subspecies>: FRIDAY, MAY 3
>
> Happy birding!
> Eve Meier (San Jose)

View/Reply Online (#28187): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28187
South Bay Birds is maintained by the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society (https://scvas.org) and its volunteers.
Our website, https://scvas.org/siliconvalleybirding, contains content guidelines, the SBB code of conduct, and additional information.

Do not disclose information that identifies the location of nesting birds of any species, to minimize stress on the nesting birds and the risk of vandalism or abuse.

Birding events in and near Santa Clara County: https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds-events/ .
Discussions: Facebook group Santa Clara County Birding (https://www.facebook.com/groups/110996713065201/) and a Discord Server (https://discord.gg/NteQSY3Tn8).
SCVAS self-guided field trips, maps and descriptions: https://scvas.org/self-guided-field-trips
SCVAS Salt Pond Map: https://scvas.org/salt-ponds-of-santa-clara-county