Date: 4/24/24 6:47 pm
From: JERRY WILLIAMS <jmwilliams01982...>
Subject: Barry County
Margie & I spent Monday and Tuesday in Barry County. Monday started very cold, in the mid 30's, which in turn made birding very slow. We did not hear or see many of the migrants that we usually do. No Worm-eating warblers, even though we heard and saw several of them last Thursday on Red Bridge Road in Christian County. Only a few Cerulean, Hooded, Prairie, and Blue-winged Warblers. Our group included Ruth Grant, Dorothy Thurman, Cathy Cowens, Ann and Dan Liles. The group was able to get good views of a Hooded Warbler in Campground 2, a Cerulean on Sugar Camp, and a Blue-winged on the glade. We also saw or heard Black & White, Ovenbird, Louisiana Waterthrush, Tennessee, Nashville, Kentucky, Northern Parula, Yellow-throated, and Prairie.

On Tuesday the morning low was 25 degrees warmer, and the birding was a bit better. Steve and Debbie Martin joined us. We once again struggled with Worm-eating Warbler, hearing only one. The Hooded Warbler count went up to about 12 and Ceruleans up to about 8. In addition to Mondays Warblers, we heard or saw Common Yellowthroat, American Redstart, and Yellow-rump Warblers. Also new for the year were Blue Grosbeak, Orchard Oriole, Spotted Sandpiper, and Ruby-throated Hummingbird.

The Bald Eagle and Great-horned Owl nest each have two chicks. Washburn wetland is quite dry and has few birds. The shorebirds we have seen have been at the small wetland next to the Barry County Museum in Cassville.
Jerry & Margie Williams
Republic, Greene County, MO.

MBS Spring Meeting: May 3 – 5, 2024 at Stoney Creek Inn, St. Joseph, MO.
Details and registration: https://mobirds.org/MBS/NextMeeting.aspx

Join us on Facebook!