Date: 4/23/24 4:36 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Hamburg Hawk Watch (23 Apr 2024) 65 Raptors

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Sue Barth

Observers:

Visitors:
None

Weather:
Temps rose from the mid-50's to the mid-60's with strong winds from the S
to SSW @ 15-20 mph gusting up to 38 mph at times. There was much cloud
cover for most of the day.

Raptor Observations:
I was disappointed the big day I was hoping for never materialized. I
changed locations from the front to Section H for the 4th and 5th hours,
hoping I'd find more activity but went back to the front when things were
no different back there. Only 53 migrating Turkey Vultures came through
and a meager 9 Broad-wings. 2 sharpies and 1 red-tail were the only other
migrants. Locals included an adult Bald Eagle, several vultures, a coop,
and a pair of red-tails.

Non-raptor Observations:
A couple of Common Loons flew over, a singing Purple Finch, and I enjoyed
seeing an early Orange-crowned Warbler, adding a new species to the
hawkwatch's species list.
target="_blank">https://ebird.org/checklist/S169994349</a>

Predictions:
A little rain early in the day, temperatures cooling to the 40's and winds
will change to come from the North. Doesn't look too good - but then - who
knows? I thought today would have been better!
Report submitted by Sue Barth (<suebarth...>)

More site information at hawkcount.org: https://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=364

Site Description:
This spring only "all volunteer" watch is conducted at Lakeside Cemetery in
Hamburg, NY. It is located on flat lake plain located along the shoreline
of the east end of Lake Erie, about 10 miles south of Buffalo, NY.
For additional information contact Jim Landau at <landaujr...>