Date: 4/22/24 5:46 pm
From: richard s. cimino via groups.io <rscimino...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Black Vulture Mines Rd report
This morning, at about 11:30 AM, I was driving Mines Road in search of the
Black Vulture reported by Jim Chiropolos yesterday.

Driving slowly and checking each group of Turkey Vultures, I located the
Black Vulture.

The Black Vulture was not perched but floating flat-winged alongside a
Turkey Vulture over the home at Mile Marker 7.79.

The temperature was 80 degrees with no wind.

Both birds dropped out of sight in the Oak Valley below.

The Black Vulture reappeared about twenty minutes later, with several
vultures and a Raven close to Mile Marker 7:52.

I didn't proceed past the Mile Markers 7.79.

Other species of interest - seen or heard.

Bullocks Orioles, one male, and a female.

Pheinopla, two males and a female.

Two Western Kingbirds.

A Golden Eagle Soaring was in its 2nd year of plumage.

A Lazuli Bunting was calling near Mile Marker 5.22.

A California Thrasher was calling near Mile Marker 5.22.

The Yellowbilled Magpie should be nesting, so I wasn't surprised to have
seen only two flybys.

I haven't been birding Mines Road in some time. Today was a perfect day to
be on the Mines Road.

There was little traffic, very quiet, with birds singing at every stop.

Enjoy spring migration,

Rich Cimino

www.yellowbilledtours.com