Date: 4/22/24 5:36 pm
From: JENNIFER FURY via groups.io <jennyfuzzy...>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Eastern Alameda Co, Solitary Sandpiper
Mines Road:One nice bird on Sunday  - a male Prairie Falcom with a fresh catch, circling low overhead.Cheers,Jennifer FurySaltwater is the cure for everything,  sweat,  tears, or the sea...
-------- Original message --------From: "Aaron Maizlish via groups.io" <amm.birdlists...> Date: 4/22/24 4:28 PM (GMT-08:00) To: East Bay Birds <ebb-sightings...> Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Eastern Alameda Co, Solitary Sandpiper Got a late start this morning and decided to head to Eastern Alameda County for the first time this year to see if I could pick up some of the reported goodies and catch spring arrivals. Arrived at Mines Road around 10:30 and it was already about 80°.  Activity was low, as Jim Chiropolos reported yesterday.  No Black Vulture to be found (I checked a lot of vultures), it could be anywhere by now.  A dark juv Golden Eagle around MM 7 was a consolation.  At MM 8.96 I got into a nice assortment of finches that included at least 2 Lawrence’s Goldfinch near the road. There were also small numbers of Lazuli Bunting, Rufous-crowned Sparrow and a single Phainopepla around there.   Cross Road had a nice Swainson’s Hawk being mobbed by crows. Patterson Pass was a total bust.  I drove back over the old Altamont Pass Road stopping several times at some of my old spots.  Lots of puddles and ponds at various levels and I was cued in to look for migratory shorebirds.  At the foot of Dyer Road I finally found a good mud puddle on the left about 1000’ up from Altamont Pass Road, and bingo there was a Solitary Sandpiper hiding out at the back of the pond, along with a very vocal Yellowlegs and several Killdeer. Unfortunately the Solitary Sandpiper flew off while I was sitting in my car trying to magnify my photo enough to get a solid ID. It headed up the valley toward the reservoir.  It made a strong two-note flight call which I was not familiar with.   I don’t know if it will be back but the pond was here (37.7444167, -121.6769763).  There are lots of other puddles in the area in various stages of drying up and the time is right for more migratory goodies, so it might be worth a look. Aaron MaizlishSan Francisco