Date: 4/22/24 4:56 am
From: Edge Wade <1edgewade...>
Subject: Mule Shoe and Fiery Fork Conservation Areas
Yesterday I began by birding Mule Shoe CA in Hickory County. It is a target area for the CACHE program, so I went to fill in a week on the bar chart for the bird occurence record. Next week is empty, too, and I can't get there!

I'm sure the 7 Blue-winged Warblers were an undercount--just couldn't be sure where one bee-buzz quit and another began. Other FOY or new for the site for me at Mule Shoe were Eastern Kingbird, White-eyed, Yellow-throated and Red-eyed Vireo, Yellow-breasted Chat, Black-and-white, Tennessee, Orange-crowned, Nashville, Yellow-throated Warbler, Louisiana Waterthrush, Common Yellowthroat, Northern Parula, Summer Tanager, Indigo Bunting.

At Fiery Fork in Camden Co. (another CACHE target site), I walked part of the River Glade trail. Blue-eyed Mary and Larkspur were among the spring flowers in bloom.
A Blue Grosbeak sitting low 3 feet from the trail was a real treat. I watched a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher go to and settle in on the deepest BGGN nest I've ever seen--she totally disappeared in it, long tail and all. Five species of warblers and a soaring Broad-winged Hawk sweetened the short visit.

Yup, Spring is there to be enjoyed. Mind the ticks, though.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO
<1edgewade...><mailto:<1edgewade...>

MBS Spring Meeting: May 3 – 5, 2024 at Stoney Creek Inn, St. Joseph, MO.
Details and registration: https://mobirds.org/MBS/NextMeeting.aspx

Join us on Facebook!