Date: 4/21/24 2:11 pm
From: David Zittin via groups.io <dzittin...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Rancho San Antonio
This morning, Floy and I hiked the service road from the north parking lo its intersection with Hilltop Trail. Here we encountered our FOS sighting of an Ash-throated Flycatcher. Although we heard one in the area a few days earlier, we were unable to get eyes on that one. Today the Ash-throated was out in the open calling on a sycamore tree. We also heard and saw three Blue-gray Gnatcatchers and a few other species. During our 10 minute walk on this road we saw 7 species.

We turned left onto Hilltop Trail from the service road, and this trail was fairly birdy. We heard three more Ash-throated Flycatchers and saw one calling on top of an oak tree. Near the water tanks, we first heard and then saw our FOS Lazuli Bunting. As we made our way down to the bridge at Permanente Creek on the PG&E trail, we saw and heard at least six House Wrens. In total we saw 26 species. Details for the Hilltop portion of our walk are at https://ebird.org/checklist/S169699696.

-Dave Zittin
Cupertino

View/Reply Online (#28171): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28171
South Bay Birds is maintained by the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society (https://scvas.org) and its volunteers.
Our website, https://scvas.org/siliconvalleybirding, contains content guidelines, the SBB code of conduct, and additional information.

Do not disclose information that identifies the location of nesting birds of any species, to minimize stress on the nesting birds and the risk of vandalism or abuse.

Birding events in and near Santa Clara County: https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds-events/ .
Discussions: Facebook group Santa Clara County Birding (https://www.facebook.com/groups/110996713065201/) and a Discord Server (https://discord.gg/NteQSY3Tn8).
SCVAS self-guided field trips, maps and descriptions: https://scvas.org/self-guided-field-trips
SCVAS Salt Pond Map: https://scvas.org/salt-ponds-of-santa-clara-county