Date: 4/21/24 12:10 pm
From: Carter Gasiorowski via groups.io <carter.gasiorowski...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Ruddy Turnstone, San Francisquito Creek Mouth
Yesterday. 4-21-24, my dad and I met with Garrett Lau and Susan Weinstein
at the San Frisquito Creek Mouth to look for shorebirds with the receding
tide. We arrived when the tide was around 5.5 feet, and almost all of the
debris around the creek mouth was underwater. Several WHIMBRELS and
SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHERS were roosting on the Santa Clara side of the creek.
For the first hour, we saw almost no birds, so I'd recommend arriving just
after the tide recedes to 5 feet. When the tide was around 4.6 feet, a
RUDDY TURNSTONE appeared on a piece of debris just across the county line
in San Mateo County. A few minutes later it flew into Santa Clara County,
landing on a raised bit of mud behind the large brown sign. As the tide
dropped below 4.5 feet, flocks of shorebirds began streaming in. Most of
the birds here are in San Mateo County, but a small corner is within Santa
Clara County (see Adam Burnett's post linked below). We didn't spot any Red
Knots mixed n with the hundreds of MARBLED GODWITS, DUNLIN, and other
expected birds.

The trail that leads beyond the bench towards the creek mouth is now
closed, so it is harder to view the birds without a scope.

Adam Burnett's SBB post about county boundaries:
https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/27087?p=%2C%2C%2C20%2C0%2C0%2C0%3A%3Arecentpostdate%2Fsticky%2C%2Cadam+burnett%2C20%2C2%2C0%2C98291636

Garrett's eBird list with photos of the turnstone:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S169529912

Happy Birding!
Carter

View/Reply Online (#28170): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28170
South Bay Birds is maintained by the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society (https://scvas.org) and its volunteers.
Our website, https://scvas.org/siliconvalleybirding, contains content guidelines, the SBB code of conduct, and additional information.

Do not disclose information that identifies the location of nesting birds of any species, to minimize stress on the nesting birds and the risk of vandalism or abuse.

Birding events in and near Santa Clara County: https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds-events/ .
Discussions: Facebook group Santa Clara County Birding (https://www.facebook.com/groups/110996713065201/) and a Discord Server (https://discord.gg/NteQSY3Tn8).
SCVAS self-guided field trips, maps and descriptions: https://scvas.org/self-guided-field-trips
SCVAS Salt Pond Map: https://scvas.org/salt-ponds-of-santa-clara-county