Date: 4/19/24 4:36 pm
From: Jim Chiropolos via groups.io <jnc...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Mitchel Canyon Today - Lewis Woodpeckers and reflections on birding canyon
Mitchell Canyon birding

I birded Mitchell canyon today. An interesting day there. Not super birdy low or along the creek, but the higher I walked (top of Red Road trail and to Deer Flat) the birding got much better with more warblers, tanagers and flycatchers high than low. If you ever bird Mitchell canyon and it doesn’t seem birdy low, walk higher - and the birding may get much better.

My highlight was 3 Lewis Woodpeckers high along red road trail. The first one I saw was backlit and I was confused- it wasn’t a crow, it wasn’t a flicker but in between. The habitat there was woodland (widely spaced trees with chaparral understory) do I didn’t even think Lewis for the ID. Another 100 feet of elevation gain and I had great looks at two Lewis Woodpeckers- one flew onto a perch 100 feet from trail. Wow. This was at about 10:30 an and I think they were migrating through as three other birders in area did not see them. I also did not see them again walking down Red Road 20 minutes later.

I then walked up to Deer Flat, a steep up for 2 1/2 miles but the higher I got, the better the birding. Multiple Townsends and Hermits with some tanagers etc. A high probability Dusky at Deer Flat - the area in contra costa county to see this difficult species!

It’s interesting how higher was better birding. My thought, and I could be wrong, is the trees higher have just leafed out. The trees chemical defenses are not present in high concentrations in the leaves so more insects are feeding and resultantly attracting more birds. The trees lower that are deciduous- are mostly evergreen so I think the leaves always have insect resistant chemicals….

It was interesting today seeing the elevation differences birding today. All Wilsons warblers and Pac-Slope flycatchers low. All Townsends/Hermit/ warblers tanagers high. Pine siskins have left peoples feeders and are now common high on the mountain feeding on oaks with the seed pods (calkins?).

More Hammonds Flycatchers seen today than Pac- slope. That rarely happens in bay area….

A note about birding Mitchell canyon. Today, the lower lot, except for the overflow lot was full by 9:30 am. The weekend will be much busier so plan accordingly. Car pool if possible so more people can park and to reduce the line at the entry kiosk where they collect $6.00 cash..

Migration is on!

Jim Chiropolos

Orinda