Date: 4/19/24 1:21 pm
From: Zac Denning via groups.io <zdenning1...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Inspiration Point - High MacG Warbler count & more
Yesterday, Jack Hayden and I went up to Inspiration Point. We were truly
amazed to find 8 singing MacGillivray's Warblers - the most I've ever
encountered in Tilden!

Other highlights include 2 Black-throated Gray warblers and 1 Hermit
Warbler (all close to the parking lot or within the first 1/2 - 3/4 mile)
and a singing Western Tanager in the big Eucalyptus grove at about
(37.9203491, -122.2549474). We saw and heard numerous gnatcatchers, singing
thrashers, flyover GBH's, Caspian Tern and DC cormorants, plus some distant
birds (including a white pelican) seen with our cameras on San Pablo
Reservoir; 60 species in all. It was a beautiful warm day, and rewarding
bird-wise. Among the few misses: we didn't find Lazuli Bunting, Cassin's
Vireo, WT Swift and didn't see any harriers or kites.

Starting at Inspiration Point, we walked on Nimitz Way as far as the Conlon
Trail junction, explored the Conlon hilltop (which was quiet by that time),
then backtracked, taking the Inspiration Trail through EBMUD land for part
of the return.

The 8 MacGillivray's Warblers were all at separate locations (except two
that were counter-singing in one spot). Most were along Nimitz way, with
one from the Inspiration Trail on EBMUD land. The closest MacG to the
parking lot was toward the North end of the first pine grove from the
parking lot (after the hill, at about 37.906470, -122.247537
<https://maps.app.goo.gl/Ta5jzeAntWTsQEAv5>). I took some low quality
photos of that bird carrying a caterpillar in its bill, so it appears to be
feeding young. It's certainly possible that some of the other MacGs were
migrants, singing en route.

Here's an ebird list (including more info on locations, plus photos / audio
for 5 of the 8 MACGs). https://ebird.org/checklist/S169210301

For what it's worth, my wife reports today that Merlin suggested MACG
(possibly a 9th bird), she heard singing on the Laurel Canyon fire road
(just uphill from the junction with the spur trail that leads to the
Wildcat Peak Trail/Nimitz junction). She's not a confident ear birder, but
a 9th bird seems plausible at least, based on the numbers we encountered.

Happy birding,

Zac Denning
Albany