Date: 4/19/24 11:23 am
From: David Povey via groups.io <poveydw747...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] San Diego Pelagic Birding trips for 2024
Hello fellow Birders,
San Diego Pelagics is excited to present its 2024 Birding Pelagic Trips.
These are sponsored by Buena Vista Audubon.
Some of you have already signed on one or more of our 2024 trips. Thank you.
We're less than a month away from the first trip on *Saturday, May 18th*.
That trip should correspond with the peak of seabird spring migration, and
give us a chance for some of the hold over wintering birds. Sooty
Shearwater, Black Storm-Petrel, and Elegant Terns will all be "in town". We
should get looks at the resident soon to be split (?) Brown Booby.
Sabine's gulls, jaegers and terns should be in high plumage. We should have
good numbers of phalaropes.
We even occasionally pick a landbird migrant or two.
The second trip will be on *Saturday,* *June 8th*.
May and June are nearing the end of Scripps's Murrelets stay locally, and
at this season they may even have a chick in tow. The June trip might pick
up the first Craveri's Murrelet of the season. The last few years Ashy
Storm-Petrel have been somewhat regular on the May and June trips. Spring
trips hold the possibility for a local albatross though rare inside the
Channel Islands. Then we also hope for Cook's Petrel. Certainly rare in
most years, but there is a slightly better chance on the June and July
trips ). Other spring trips have turned up S.P. Skua, Flesh-footed
Shearwater, and even a Red-billed Tropicbird. All are rare. Then one can
dream of other rarities. I am superstitious to name the possibilities, but
every trip holds the chance of "striking gold". Always an adventure out
there. Rarities are called that for good reason, but, as Terry Hunefeld
would say " you can't see one while sitting on the couch at home".
Our focus will be birds, but the spring trips also have produced some nice
looks and the larger whale species, such as Blue and Fin Whales. Several
species of dolphin are hard to avoid.

I hope you'll join us. All trips are aboard the 80ft. Legacy out of
Seaforth Sportfishing Landing in Mission Bay. These trips are generally
about 10 - 11 hours and all attempts will be made to return to the dock no
later than the stated return time of 6 p.m. We continue to hold the price
at last year's $160
To see the full schedule, trip details, directions, expected and hope for
species, and past trips reports, see the *www.sandiegopelagics.com
<http://www.sandiegopelagics.com>*. website. Then to book a trip you can
connect from that website or go directly to *www.sdwhale.com
<http://www.sdwhale.com>.* or lastly you can call the Seaforth Landing at *619
224-3383* during regular business hours Pacific Daylight savings Time.
Just as a heads up note, fall trips book up early.

Trip dates;
*May 18, 2024*
*June 8, 2024*
*July 14, 2024*
August 3, 2024
August 4, 2024
August 25, 2024
Sept. 7, 2024
Sept. 8, 2024
Sept. 28, 2024

Good Birding to you,
Dave Povey
Dulzura

View/Reply Online (#15957): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15957
The monthly meetings of San Diego Field Ornithologists (SDFO) are currently virtual, open only to members, at 6pm on the third Tuesday of every month.

Two notable on-line resources are available for San Diego birders: the San Diego County Bird Atlas by Phil Unitt (2004) - http://sdplantatlas.org/BirdAtlas/BirdPages.aspx ; and an update of notable records for San Diego County (2002–present), compiled by Paul Lehman - https://bvaudubon.org/birding-resources/ .