Date: 4/19/24 6:06 am
From: J Hummel <juanita.hummel...>
Subject: Re: [JERSEYBI] House wren returns
Oh dear - now the bird wars commence! Those fierce little House Wrens
make the worst bird neighbors ever! In previous years the male evicted a
beginning chickadee family from one of the nest boxes by removing the
entire (completed) nest and replacing it with twigs. They have harassed
Phoebes and Carolina Wrens already on nests and House Finches in other bird
houses in the yard. We did not even have them on the yard list until a few
years ago when the ash trees started dying in earnest and our formerly
deep-canopy type woodlands with which we are (were) surrounded started to
open up. On the plus side of this involuntary habitat turnover, we now
have other new birds like woodcock and even bluebirds showing an interest
in setting up housekeeping (and the latter will undoubtedly be harassed by
the house wrens). Unfortunately, deep canopy forest is getting rarer in
NJ, as are the birds that use it.

On Tue, Apr 16, 2024 at 7:41 AM Michael Perlin <mlperlin...> wrote:

> We heard a glorious one in our yard yesterday morning but i am not
> confident enough to say it was the one that nested in one of our boxes last
> year…
> Michael Perlin (Trenton)
>
> On Mon, Apr 15, 2024 at 9:18 PM <marltonbirder...> wrote:
>
> > “Mine” did for years. But it didn’t in 2022 or 2023.
> >
> > Ilene SchneiderMarlton
> >
> > On Monday, April 15, 2024, 9:21 AM, John Collins <jjcbirder...>
> > wrote:
> >
> > “My” House Wren retuned this morning and came right to the nest box it
> used
> > last year. Amazing.
> >
> > John J. Collins
> > Raritan, NJ