Date: 4/17/24 7:49 pm
From: Lisa Potash <Lisapotash6...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Owl in the Box Update
Hello JerseyBirders,

The current status of owl(s) in the box(s) is 1 resident Male. Technically a gray morph, but this fellow has beautiful brown tones around the face. He’s our returning male (Mr Grey III) that first appeared 2023 early Spring and was the latest mate to Mrs Grey. Last season, the pair did everything (courtship, nesting behavior in the front yard box) but suddenly at the end of March Mrs Grey up and left, only to chose another nest site. This pattern was not uncommon for our yard Screech Owls, and occurred a number of times over the years.

Mr. Grey returned to the yard boxes on Oct 3, 2023 and has been here steadily since then. Unfortunately, Mrs Grey never reappeared. I would be surprised if the female is still alive, since she always returned to the yard, with or without a mate.

It’s hard to know if our resident male currently has a mate, but i would bet not. Mr. Grey was vocal a few days in the month of November, but quite in February and March, when pairs come together for courtship and mating. I have observed Screech Owl pairs roosting together during summer while molting, during courtship, during the period of egg-laying and even with chicks present when under necessity. So, the fact that this owl has not brought a female into the yard boxes (nest cams show none) makes me think he’s a bachelor.

If Mr. Grey is solo this season, it does not mean that he’s not eyeing a female in the general area, or waiting for an opportunity to move in. One nesting season we had a rogue male bring a prey item to the box while Mrs Grey and Mr. Grey 1st were inside on eggs. Both owls sounded alarm calls, and the male exited the box soon after. And, this first Grey male/mate to Mrs Grey ended up MIA soon after the chicks were born. After the chicks died, this new male (Mr. Grey II) took over as her mate, but they did not renest.

Now that we are into April, if there is a mate eggs should be hatching by the end of the month. Mr. Grey III has mostly been roosting in the front yard nest box. The past week i made note that the boxes were empty, but then the male would be inside later on. Most likely he was roosting pretty close to the box, and was flushed inside by yard birds. He was absent two days in a row, and back today, but as the leaf cover emerges he will be gone more often and eventually be gone for the summer months.

One interesting note, is this owl has brought in 5 flying squirrels! I didn’t know we had so many in the area, but since they’re nocturnal, i never get to see them unless the little critters are at the bottom of the owl box.

If anything new/interesting develops i will report it. I am always happy to host a Screech Owl. They’re beautiful birds, and it’s great to be able to have safe places to roost or nest in. Consider a nest box if you can.

Good birding,

Lisa Potash
Oakland

List Guidelines: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind2107&L=JERSEYBI&P=R685&X=OE8E22FEF3A2B10DFE5