Date: 4/18/24 4:06 pm
From: Eve Meier via groups.io <eve.m.meier...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Quack Pack Team Results - Palo Alto Baylands
Hi Everyone!

The Quack Pack Birdathon team met at the Lucy Evans Nature Center and
walked to Byxbee Park and back, spotting 62 species in 4 hours. Thousands
of shorebirds were in the lagoon and it was so fun to see them all take
flight at once. We also enjoyed the Dunlins getting their black bellies - a
new site for many in our group. At the ranger station, we tracked down
a Wilson’s
Warbler which was one of our favorite finds of the day. Both Hooded and
Bullock’s Orioles were spotted in the native gardens of the Palo Alto Water
Treatment Plant. We were also pleasantly surprised by a Western Kingbird as
we walked back to the picnic tables. We continued birding while we ate
lunch thinking there was no way we’d get to 60 species but as we sat there,
more species trickled in including a Mourning Dove and a Belted Kingfisher.
At the parking lot, while we’re getting back in cars, we were treated to
our final bird of the day - a Rock Pigeon! Hey, every bird counts.

So far, this team has raised close to $600 to support the Wetlands
Discovery Program <https://scvas.org/wetlands-discovery-program>. Please
consider helping us reach our goal of $1000 but donating here.
<https://scvas.app.neoncrm.com/np/clients/scvas/campaignTeam.jsp?campaignId=152&teamId=108&>

Happy Birding!

Eve Meier (San Jose)

View/Reply Online (#28152): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28152
South Bay Birds is maintained by the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society (https://scvas.org) and its volunteers.
Our website, https://scvas.org/siliconvalleybirding, contains content guidelines, the SBB code of conduct, and additional information.

Do not disclose information that identifies the location of nesting birds of any species, to minimize stress on the nesting birds and the risk of vandalism or abuse.

Birding events in and near Santa Clara County: https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds-events/ .
Discussions: Facebook group Santa Clara County Birding (https://www.facebook.com/groups/110996713065201/) and a Discord Server (https://discord.gg/NteQSY3Tn8).
SCVAS self-guided field trips, maps and descriptions: https://scvas.org/self-guided-field-trips
SCVAS Salt Pond Map: https://scvas.org/salt-ponds-of-santa-clara-county