Date: 4/15/24 5:27 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Braddock Bay (15 Apr 2024) 1024 Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 0 0
Short-eared Owl 0 1 1
Swainson's Hawk 0 1 1

Total: 1024 14542 22662

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: David Brown

Observers: Ann McMican, Bob Crandall, Bridget Watts, Cliff Dekdebrun,
Daena Ford, Janis George, Kim Steininger, Mike Tetlow,
Phil Rushworth, Rosemary Reilly, Shannon Sanda,
Shelly Rackovsky, Vid Killius, Zhen Lu

Visitors:
40

Weather:
Mostly sunny with moderate west and northwesterly winds. Chilly with the
wind in the morning but pleasant in the afternoon.

Raptor Observations:
A steady flight with good variety. Overall the flight lines were scattered
and many migrants were high and difficult to spot against the blue sky. A
moderate Turkey Vulture flight with more than five hundred. A moderate Bald
Eagle flight with seventeen. A steady number of harriers with mixed
plumages for 19 total. For Accipiters we had just over a hundred sharpies
and 12 Coops, plus the local Coop chasing Turkey Vultures.

A good variety of Buteos with four red-shoulders, 240 broad-wings, 45
red-tails, and a light-morph juvenile Rough-legged Hawk that was gorgeous
in the light.

We had the falcon trifecta with nine kestrels, four Merlins, and 2
peregrines.

The flight continued late so we stayed an extra hour. Over a thousand total
migrants for the day.

Braddock Bay 2024 Daily Summaries Video Playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB8baxseGlb6tgpFvuDK4-aadMhx7wTfo

Non-raptor Observations:
East Spit: 3 Blue-winged Teal, Dunlin, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Brown
Creeper.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S168726899

Hawk Watch: Sandhill Crane, 3 Common Loons, Purple Martin, Cedar Waxwing, 4
Purple Finches, 20 Rusty Blackbirds.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S168819448

Predictions:
TOMORROW: Mainly sunny. High 57F. Winds NNW at 5-10mph. A less favorable
wind direction but fairly light so we may hold onto a flight line. Spotting
will be difficult against the blue skies.

WEDNESDAY: Cloudy with rain developing later. High 48F. Winds E at
10-20mph. Expect minimal to light migration.

THURSDAY: Cloudy with showers. High 59F. Winds SSW at 10-15mph. Good winds
but gloomy. Will keep an eye on this day.
Report submitted by David Brown (<davidebrownpa...>)
Braddock Bay information may be found at:
http://www.bbrr.org/

More site information at hawkcount.org: https://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=353