Date: 4/15/24 8:24 am
From: Joe Zygala via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Re: Chickadee question and Nesting Phoebes
I am no expert, but here is a link to an article that may help:

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/warming-temperatures-are-pushing-two-chickadee-species-and-their-hybrids-northward/

Note on the map where the overlap zone is in New Jersey. When I lived and birded there in the 1980s, the overlap zone was much farther south, around Trenton and further south.

Now, the overlap zone is not in CT, but I have also read (can’t remember the source) that Carolina Chickadee genes have been found in chickadees a fair ways north of the overlap zone, and that some chickadees that look like Black-capped have been found singing Carolina-like songs. Perhaps your bird is one of these.

On the song, I remember reading in older field guides that the songs were completely different. Well, I remember clearly hearing Carolina songs in southern New Jersey, and at a distance those high notes (notes 1 and 3) are completely inaudible, and all you here are notes 2 and 4, which sound exactly like Black-capped. If you don’t notice the brief pause between the 2 notes (non-existent in Black-capped song), you could really be fooled.

So far, in northern Westchester county, I have not yet heard any song that I would mistake for Carolina, but I don’t spend all that much time in the field anymore.

Joe Zygala
South Salem, NY, just over the border from Ridgefield, CT

Sent from one of my iDevices