Date: 4/15/24 8:11 am
From: Loralee Richter via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Chickadee question and Nesting Phoebes
Hi everyone!

As I sit on the deck on a beautiful spring day, I have the Merlin app open. It oddly just picked up the sound of a Carolina Chickadee. I would like to preface this by saying that I absolutely know the limitations of Merlin sound ID and AI in general. I would never consider reporting a Carolina chickadee, and I highly doubt the ID, but it did bring up a bigger question for me. With our climate changing, is there any knowledge of whether the Carolinas chickadee range may be shifting? I know that Carolina/black-capped hybrids are possible as well. Are there any reports of these in Connecticut?

On a fun note, I also found a new construction above our front door this morning. Our Eastern Phoebes are busy building a beautiful nest of moss!

Loralee Richter
Danbury, CT

Sent from my iPhone

To subscribe or unsubscribe via email, send an email with just "join" or "leave" in the subject or body to: <ctbirds-request...>