Date: 4/15/24 6:12 am
From: Ronald- Thorn via groups.io <Tronthorn...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Sightings during the past week
April 14, I checked shorebirds along the Ravenswood Trail on the north side of Highway 84. On time for thistime of the year were the arrival of Red-necked Phalaropes. ( 36 ) Red-necked Phalaropes were on the saltpond northwest of the P.G.E. substation. There were ( 5 ) Lesser Yellowlegs with Black-necked Stilts at thebeginning of the trail. At the Westport Marina in Redwood City, ( 4 ) Lesser Yellowlegs were among ( 136 )Greater Yellowlegs.
Migrants along the bayside after the cold front that has passed through during the night. There was not in a variety. Orange-crowned Warblers and Wilson's Warblers at a number of migrant drop-in locations A Red-breasted Nuthatch. There were ( 2 ) Gambel's White-crowned Sparrows among an increasein the number of Golden-crowned Sparrows. During the week along the Bay Trail at Coyote Point were( 2 ) male Rufous Hummingbirds, ( 3 ) Western Kingbirds, intergrade Northern Flicker( red-shafted xyellow-shafted ), getting a little late a Ruby-crowned Kinglet and a Fox Sparrow. A Cassin's Vireo wasalong Twin Dolphin Drive near the Phelps Slough in Redwood Shores.
During the week, I started my first skywatch of the spring at Carlmont Summit in Belmont which I have beendoing for a number of springs. It is just the start of migrants passing by Carlmont Summit. Migrants notedwere ( 44 ) Band-tailed Pigeons, ( 1 ) Tree Swallow, ( 1 ) Rough-winged Swallow, ( 1 ) Western Kingbird,( 3 ) Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, ( 266 ) Cedar Waxwings, ( 2 ) Yellow-rumped Warblers, ( 1 ) Hooded Oriole,( 2 ) Purple Finches and a surprising number of ( 64 ) Pine Siskins for this time of the year. There were nomigrant raptors noted. It is prime time for migrating Swainson's Hawks and Broad-winged Hawks, where a number has been noted from Carlmont Summit in past springs.
Last on April 8th, the Black Skimmers reached a new high number of ( 109 ) behind the dog park alongRadio Road in Redwood Shores. Where will the skimmers disperse during the upcoming breeding season?There were still ( 2 ) Red-breasted Nuthatches coming into our feeder in Redwood Shores on the 14th.At the Nob Hill Pond, a pair of Blue-winged Teal were still present on the 12th.

Ron ThornLeonie Batkin