Date: 4/14/24 1:25 pm
From: <tess...>
Subject: Re: [cayugabirds-l] Taughannock Falls light show?
Sounds like there is a lot of momentum behind this and it might be
easier to deflect than to stop unless the weather is like today.
Celebrating the 100th probably is a huge deal for the agency, which
certainly have manages a lot of great habitat for birds.  And they
people behind this particular event have put time, money, and effort
into planning and executing it and probably will be reluctant to abandon it.

Is there a way this could be done and disturbance minimized?  What if
they lit up the falls from right below so the gorge itself wasn't
illuminated, and instead of hiking up the gorge they centered the
celebration on the overlook rather than hiking the gorge hike? Maybe
there's a local bird-loving food truck or caterer who would be willing
to offer food at a discount to the parks for the three nights up at the
visitor center by the overlook?

Is there someone on the list with contacts at the Regional State Park
office or at the Chamber who could sound them out on whether they are
open to alternatives?  Does the bird club have any programming it runs
in partnership with any of the local state parks?  We could try to shut
this down but there's a good chance that would fail and, whether or not
it did, trying to shut it down entirely will piss off a lot people which
might not be good for birds (or even birders) in the long run.  Note the
Chamber of Commerce seems to be running the hikes so anyone on the list
who is a member might want to gently explain the issue to Jennifer
Tavares, who seems like a decent person.  Not sure if Fred Bonn is still
the Regional Director of State Parks but he has been flexible in the
past when approached given actual evidence and alternatives - but
whoever approaches him should be prepared with published evidence or
personal reports by someone (maybe Tim G) who is an acknowledged expert
on peregrines and can show that the light show is going to disturb the
peregrines.  Keep in mind that these folks know peregrines nest on urban
bridges and buildings that are lit at night so they will need to know
why this is different.

--

(copy & paste any URL below, then modify any text "_DOT_" to a period ".")

NortheastBirding_DOT_com/CayugabirdsWELCOME_DOT_htm
NortheastBirding_DOT_com/CayugabirdsRULES_DOT_htm
NortheastBirding_DOT_com/CayugabirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave_DOT_htm

ARCHIVES:
1) mail-archive_DOT_com/cayugabirds-l@cornell_DOT_edu/maillist_DOT_html
2) surfbirds_DOT_com/birdingmail/Group/Cayugabirds
3) aba_DOT_org/birding-news/

ebird_DOT_org/content/ebird/