Date: 4/12/24 4:22 pm
From: Mary & Nick Freeman <mnfreeman...>
Subject: Re: [LACoBirds] Missing Purple Finches
Hi Birders,

We went up to Bear Dvide Road and before arriving to that spot, we enjoyed Rufous-crowned Sparrow and Black-chinned Sparrow. Both a real treat.

At the Bear Divide Road site, no migrants were present but more Rufous-crowned Sparrow were seen and calling Mountain Quail were downslope from the parking area. A pleasant day, Saturday April 6th.

Mary Freeman
Glendale CA

> On Apr 12, 2024, at 1:22 PM, Cathy McFadden <mcfadden...> wrote:
>
> Hi Tom - The Bernard Field Station in Claremont (adjacent to Cal Botanic Garden) has hosted a large flock of Purple Finches this winter, more than I have recorded in the past 20 years of surveys there. Most winters there will be a flock of 5-10 at this site; this winter I have recorded as many as 40 in a single flock. In contrast, this year I have not had any at my feeders about 1/2 mile away, compared to some past years (including last year) when they were very regular in my yard. So they are around, but maybe just using resources differently than in past years.
>
> Cathy McFadden
> Claremont
>
> --
> Dr. Catherine S. McFadden
> Vivian and D. Kenneth Baker Professor
> Department of Biology
> Harvey Mudd College
> 1250 N. Dartmouth Ave.
> Claremont, CA 91711 USA
>
> office phone: +1 (909) 607-4107 <>
> FAX: +1 (909) 607-7172 <>
> e-mail: <mcfadden...> <mailto:<mcfadden...>

Listowners: mailto:<LACoBirds-owner...>
-=-=-
Group Owner: LACoBirds+<owner...>
Unsubscribe: https://groups.io/g/LACoBirds/unsub [<lists...>]