Date: 4/12/24 1:23 pm
From: Cathy McFadden <mcfadden...>
Subject: Re: [LACoBirds] Missing Purple Finches
Hi Tom - The Bernard Field Station in Claremont (adjacent to Cal Botanic
Garden) has hosted a large flock of Purple Finches this winter, more than I
have recorded in the past 20 years of surveys there. Most winters there
will be a flock of 5-10 at this site; this winter I have recorded as many
as 40 in a single flock. In contrast, this year I have not had any at my
feeders about 1/2 mile away, compared to some past years (including last
year) when they were very regular in my yard. So they are around, but
maybe just using resources differently than in past years.

Cathy McFadden
Claremont

--
Dr. Catherine S. McFadden