Date: 4/10/24 5:14 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Braddock Bay (10 Apr 2024) 3,322 Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 0 0
Short-eared Owl 0 1 1
Swainson's Hawk 1 1 1

Total: 3322 12205 20325

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: David Brown

Observers: Cindy Kindle, Kim Steininger, Lorenzo C., Lynn Bergmeyer,
Mike Tetlow

Visitors:
10, including a reporter from Channel 8 WROC

Weather:
Overcast to start the day with light southerly winds and warm temperatures.
Rain associated with a cold front shut the flight down for about 45 minutes
mid-morning. Afterwards it was partly sunny with moderate northwesterly
winds and cooler temps that slowly warmed up again throughout the
afternoon.

Raptor Observations:
An excellent day overall with the second highest total so far this season.

In the second hour we had a push that included 300 Turkey Vultures and an
adult male Rough-legged Hawk ahead of the rain of a cold front.

After the front passed the sun came out a bit and launched a huge flight of
Turkey Vultures, Sharp-shinned Hawks, Red-tailed Hawks, Red-shouldered
Hawks, and other expected migrants. The flight was fairly low and had
multiple lines spread out, but many birds were fairly close. The difficulty
in counting was mostly due to the volume, not the distance.

The highlight was a dark-morph SWAINSON'S HAWK that passed slightly to the
lake side just after 12pm EST. We also had the first Broad-winged Hawk of
the season!

Another light-morph Rough-legged Hawk went over in the afternoon. The
flight slowed considerable in the last hours.

We ended the day with over 2,700 Turkey Vultures. Other notable totals
included 58 Northern Harriers, 279 Sharp-shinned Hawks, 38 Red-shouldered
Hawks, 113 Red-tailed Hawks, and 46 American Kestrels.

Braddock Bay 2024 Daily Summaries Video Playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB8baxseGlb6tgpFvuDK4-aadMhx7wTfo

Non-raptor Observations:
East Spit: EURASIAN WIGEON, Great Egret, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, 2 Fish
Crows, Brown Creeper.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S167984422

Hawk Watch: Eurasian Wigeon, 7 Sandhill Cranes, 4 Common Ravens, 5 Barn
Swallows, Eastern Meadowlark.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S168053003

New species for season: Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Broad-winged Hawk,
Swainson's Hawk

Predictions:
TOMORROW: A steady rain in the morning. Showers continuing in the
afternoon. High around 70F. Winds SE at 15-25mph. Chance of rain 100%. Hard
to predict. Steady rain would prevent a raptor flight, but during periods
of light or no rain the strong southeast winds may be enough to get birds
moving, especially now that sharpies, kestrels, and harriers are on the
move in good numbers. Southeast winds are a headwind and tend to keep the
birds low. Depending on the exact conditions there could be very little
activity or a huge flight with close looks. I plan to be out to find out
which it will be.

FRIDAY: Rain showers early then remaining overcast and windy. High 59F.
Winds SW at 20-30mph. Chance of rain 50%. A great wind direction, though
perhaps slightly stronger than ideal. These winds can often overcome the
gloomy conditions and produce a good flight. We'll check the forecast again
tomorrow. Expect moderate to good migration.

SATURDAY: Cloudy and windy with periods of light rain early. High 53F.
Winds W at 25-35mph. A somewhat favorable wind direction, but very strong.
There will probably be a moderate flight but we may have to shelter behind
the platform.
Report submitted by David Brown (<davidebrownpa...>)
Braddock Bay information may be found at:
http://www.bbrr.org/

More site information at hawkcount.org: https://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=353