Date: 4/10/24 12:29 pm
From: Beverly Propen via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Coastal Center
4/10 Milford, Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center, 9:50am-1PM. sunny, low
tide rising, 51F, windy.
Very busy at the center today. Class visits, and several family visits.
Plus lots of avian visitors. We have 2 Purple Martins back now- visiting
gourds 68 & 69. Our ospreys were on their nest-copulating, & on the perch
and sitting on the mud flats all morning.
On the marsh: (viewed from inside building)- 6 Gadwall, 4 Green winged
teal, 4 Black ducks, close count of 167 Brant all over the marsh, 4
American Oystercatchers on the mudflats, 6 Buffleheads, 2 Red breasted
mergansers (a pair), 5 Mute swans & 5 Great egrets.
There was one Boat tailed grackle sitting in the bare tree at the edge of
the marsh by the observation platform by the parking lot -a first for me
at the center.
It was a bit larger than the Common grackles and I knew its song was
different. I turned on Merlin and it confirmed my ID.
On the grounds & feeders: a Pair of Fish crows has taken up residence
again in the pine tree in front of the center- bringing in twigs for the
nest & enjoying the bird bath. A golden crowned kinglet (others saw
several of them), 4 Cardinals, a Flicker, 3 Robins, 4 House finches, 1 Red
winged blackbird, 6 Song sparrows, 1 White throated sparrow, many House
sparrows. Our water feature had several birds enjoying the water.
Bev Propen, Orange

To subscribe or unsubscribe via email, send an email with just "join" or "leave" in the subject or body to: <ctbirds-request...>