Date: 4/10/24 9:05 am
From: Gregory Hanisek via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] metalhead
Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers have a distinctive drum, and when they apply
their effort to a metal sign it can be startling, especially in the middle
of the woods. I was on Hunters Mt. in Naugatuck State Forest this morning,
when a metal-enhanced Sapsucker drum rang out so close I jumped.

It took a minute but I saw that the Sapsucker had found one of those small
black-and-orange signs that say "State Land" and are usually tacked to a
tree trunk. This one was only eight feet off the ground and the bird was
really working it over.

There were also 3 Louisiana Waterthrushes singing along the stream, and
Eastern Towhees were well-distributed. They were all giving call notes and
one was singing the full "drink-your-teaaa."

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury

To subscribe or unsubscribe via email, send an email with just "join" or "leave" in the subject or body to: <ctbirds-request...>