Date: 4/10/24 9:33 am
From: Jodi Morris <mjodimorris...>
Subject: Re: Eclipse Birding observations
In Broadmoor Neighborhood in Little Rock, I had a Mockingbird that wouldn’t
shut up during totality and his song really seemed loud in the absence of
others’ voices. We do have a resident Great Horned Owl in the POA Park
bordering my yard. I did not hear him hoot, but he must have stirred. His
tree was mobbed by crows and jays as soon as Totality ended.

On Tue, Apr 9, 2024 at 6:32 PM Anderson, Leif - FS, AR <
<000002b0bc8b0106-dmarc-request...> wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> The last 3 days I ‘ve had the pleasure of being a volunteer for some neat
> bioacoustic eclipse research. Led by Douglas Barron and his undergrad
> student Colton Morris, from AR Tech University.
>

> I had 3 interesting bird observations.
>
> During the partial portion of the eclipse 2 White-throated Sparrows
> stopped feeding/calling/singing and flew up into a Cedar bush. They stayed
> on the “roost” until after totality then resumed their normal feeding
> behavior.
>

> The end of totality “Dawn chorus” at 1:54pm was just as good as our normal
> dawn chorus.
>

> About 4 min into totality a Barred Owl started calling.
>

> Holla Bend NWR hosted about 800 eclipse visitors, many of whom were
> birders/ nature lovers from all over the country, Canada and even a birding
> family from the Czech Republic.
>

> , Leif
>

> This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA solely
> for the intended recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message
> or the use or disclosure of the information it contains may violate the law
> and subject the violator to civil or criminal penalties. If you believe you
> have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete
> the email immediately.

or click the following link: